Old 01-09-2011, 01:08 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Kisses filled with air

"W. Baker" wrote in message
Janet wrote:
: Julie Bove wrote:
: "Ozgirl" wrote in message
: ...
:
:
: "Julie Bove" wrote in message
: ...
:
: "Ozgirl" wrote in message
:
: I like dark chocolate but no more that 75%, that's my limit. Do
: you get Cherry Ripe there? I love Cherry Ripe
:
: Is that the brand? If so I've never heard of it.
:
: Cadbury is the brand.
:
: Ohhhhhh. Cadbury used to be widely available here. Now we can
only
: get it at places that sell imported foods. I believe it is a
: Canadian brand. I will look for it.

: Cadbury is an English brand. It is their equivalent of Hershey or
Nestle,
: and not particularly good IMNSHO, although it is better than
Hershey. It is
: sold in supermarkets here.

: I admit a fondness for Mint Aeros, dating back to my schooldays in
England.
: Since then, they've come out with an orange flavor that is even
better. But
: the orange is not available here.

I used to like the Cabury's Quality Street assortment . when I wa a
teenaer I thought it the height of sophiticated candy-imported from
England and that nice tin. How tastes and times change:-)

There was a wonderful very hard butterscotch candy whose name is
missing.
something like Cadwallenders,. It came in rectanglar blocks, marked
in
squares, wrapped in silver paper in boxes with, IIRC two blocks about
4"x2 2/1" Boy was that good!

Oh yes, butter scotch. Hard to get a good one these days.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:11 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote in message
Ozgirl wrote:

: "Jacquie" wrote in message
: m...
:
: "Julie Bove" wrote in message
: ...
:
: "Cheri" wrote in message
: ...
: "Julie Bove" wrote in message
: ...
:
: "Cheri" wrote in message
: ...
: "Julie Bove" wrote in message
: ...
:
:
: The air whipped comes in bars too, not just kisses. I tried
one of
: the chunks in the bar and I thought it was good.
:
: I tried the bar when it came out. I didn't really like that.
: Apparently they are like the Nestle Aero available in Canada.
: don't like Nestle chocolate though.
:
:
: I could have eaten the whole bar, but didn't. I love Nestle
: chocolate and Hershey chocolate and just about all chocolate.
:
: I don't really like most candy. I guess I am just picky.
:
:
: I must be the only person in the world that doesn't like dark
: chocolate...I like the creaminess and smoothness of milk
chocolate I
: Googled this candy and added trans fat to the word and the first
page
: I came to said no transfat.

: I like dark chocolate but no more that 75%, that's my limit. Do you
get
: Cherry Ripe there? I love Cherry Ripe
:
:

I love the 85% but fount the 90%, whihc is not always available, too
bitter. Is there any one else here who once snitched a square of
their
mother's baking chocolate and had a great shock? I remember doing
that
with my best friend . Neveer again!!!! That was when I learned about
baking chocolate:-)

lol yes. Although one of my kids, can't remember which liked to buy the
cooking chocolate to eat.

Wendyr

Old 01-09-2011, 03:10 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" wrote in message

"W. Baker" wrote in message
Ozgirl wrote:

: "Jacquie" wrote in message
: m...
:
: "Julie Bove" wrote in message
: ...
:
: "Cheri" wrote in message
: ...
: "Julie Bove" wrote in message
: ...
:
: "Cheri" wrote in message
: ...
: "Julie Bove" wrote in message
: ...
:
:
: The air whipped comes in bars too, not just kisses. I tried one
of
: the chunks in the bar and I thought it was good.
:
: I tried the bar when it came out. I didn't really like that.
: Apparently they are like the Nestle Aero available in Canada. I
[...]

I actually like that stuff. I would eat it if it didn't mess with my GERD.
I do like bitter foods and drink. I loved the old Tab with the saccharine.
Loved that aftertaste. Love gin and tonic although I don't drink it any
more.

I do find it odd that some people say vegetables are bitter, especially
broccoli. That doesn't taste bitter to me at all, just awful. Sometimes
raw celery can be bitter to me. I still eat it. Unless it makes my tongue
go numb, which it sometimes does.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:55 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

raises and for her and dh, lol, Lee
"W. Baker" wrote in message
Ozgirl wrote:

: "Jacquie" wrote in message
: m...
:
: "Julie Bove" wrote in message
: ...
:
: "Cheri" wrote in message
: ...
: "Julie Bove" wrote in message
: ...
:
: "Cheri" wrote in message
: ...
: "Julie Bove" wrote in message
: ...
:
:

Old 01-09-2011, 05:56 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

that sounds similar to worthers, Lee
"W. Baker" wrote in message
Janet wrote:
: Julie Bove wrote:
: "Ozgirl" wrote in message
: ...
:
:
: "Julie Bove" wrote in message
: ...
:
: "Ozgirl" wrote in message
:
[...]

Oh all these sinful childhood memories:-)

Wendy

Old 01-09-2011, 08:18 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 1/09/2011 10:08 AM, Ozgirl wrote:

"W. Baker" wrote in message
Janet wrote:
: Julie Bove wrote:
: "Ozgirl" wrote in message
: ...
:
:
: "Julie Bove" wrote in message
: ...
:
: "Ozgirl" wrote in message
:
[...]

You tried the Werthers sugar free one ... not bad :-)

I don't think Cherry Ripe has been the same since Cadbury
started making them in the 60's (well they don't taste the same as when
I was a kid :-))

originally made by MacRobertson who was the guy who sponsored the
original London to Australia air race in the 30's
they also made the original Freddo, Old Gold and Snack

Still haven't had one in years ... bugga now you got me thinking about
those cherries coconut and dark chocolate.

(- -)
=m=(_)=m=
RodS T2
Australia
Old 01-09-2011, 10:47 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"RodS" wrote in message
On 1/09/2011 10:08 AM, Ozgirl wrote:

"W. Baker" wrote in message
Janet wrote:
: Julie Bove wrote:
: "Ozgirl" wrote in message
: ...
:
:
: "Julie Bove" wrote in message
: ...
:
: "Ozgirl" wrote in message
:
[...]

Lol. Snack and Freddos don't taste the same to me anymore. Perhaps we
were less discerning when younger

I used to love Fantales but for a few years now they have been rather
unpleasant. And too soft now. I like Werther's, not as good as some but
a pretty good one. Haven't tasted the sugar free ones. I would rather
have a real one every so often. I used to buy a fabulous one in David
Jones food hall but can't remember the brand.

Old 01-09-2011, 02:17 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Storrmmee wrote:
that sounds similar to worthers, Lee

According to my recollection, MUCH better.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:09 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" wrote in message

"RodS" wrote in message ...
On 1/09/2011 10:08 AM, Ozgirl wrote:

"W. Baker" wrote in message
Janet wrote:
: Julie Bove wrote:
: "Ozgirl" wrote in message
: ...
:
:
: "Julie Bove" wrote in message
: ...
:
: "Ozgirl" wrote in message
:
[...]

I never liked Werthers but then I can't stand the taste of Butterscotch.

My parents had a bad of the sugar free ones and I warned them not to eat too
many because of the laxative effect. They got very angry with me and said I
was wrong. But later that night I got an apology.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:20 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

RodS wrote:
: On 1/09/2011 10:08 AM, Ozgirl wrote:
:
:
: "W. Baker" wrote in message
: ...
: Janet wrote:
: : Julie Bove wrote:
: : "Ozgirl" wrote in message
: : ...
: :
: :
: : "Julie Bove" wrote in message
: : ...
: :
: : "Ozgirl" wrote in message
: :
[...]

: (- -)
: =m=(_)=m=
: RodS T2
: Australia

Not bad, but it makes you want to keep eating them and that can result in
gastric explosions!

Wendy

Old 01-09-2011, 04:23 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

: "W. Baker" wrote in message
:
: I used to like the Cabury's Quality Street assortment . when I wa a
: teenaer I thought it the height of sophiticated candy-imported from
: England and that nice tin. How tastes and times change:-)
:
: There was a wonderful very hard butterscotch candy whose name is missing.
: something like Cadwallenders,. It came in rectanglar blocks, marked in
: squares, wrapped in silver paper in boxes with, IIRC two blocks about
: 4"x2 2/1" Boy was that good!
:
: Oh all these sinful childhood memories:-)
:
: Wendy
I would say much better than Weerthers! They were very special.

Wendy:
:

Old 01-09-2011, 07:30 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 2/09/2011 1:20 AM, W. Baker wrote:
wrote:
: On 1/09/2011 10:08 AM, Ozgirl wrote:
:
:
: "W. wrote in message
: ...
: wrote:
: : Julie Bove wrote:
: : wrote in message
: : ...
: :
: :
: : "Julie wrote in message
: : ...
: :
: : wrote in message
: :
[...]

Not me I only have one :-)

(- -)
=m=(_)=m=
RodS T2
Australia
Old 03-09-2011, 04:24 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

the other one mentioned is in fact better, Lee

Old 12-09-2011, 08:30 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 8/31/2011 6:38 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
and iirc any fat once heated to a certain temp becomes trans fats, like you
think you are being good heating some OO to fry some vegetables in, and poof
its now is trans or has trans fats, Lee
"Julie wrote in message

wrote in message

"Tiger wrote in message
On 8/30/2011 2:30 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
Hershey's has some new milk chocolate Kisses that are filled with air
in the
middle. Well not quite. They whip the centers. We got a bag for next
combining a sale and using a coupon and a doubler. So much air is in
there
that 11 Kisses is a serving. 7 is a serving of the regular Kisses. At
least 7 for a diabetic, meaning 15g of carb.

I find I *can* eat just one of these. Kisses are one of those things
that I
don't dislike. I actually kind of like them but not all that well,
maybe
because I have to unwrap them all and that's a pain.

So I find if I want a taste of chocolate, I can eat one of these
things.
And I can stop with just one. And they don't mess with my GERD.

Julie, soon as i see 'whipped' i have to ask

what are the trans-fat levels in these chocolates?

kate

Doesn't say, do you have to declare it in the US?
http://www.hersheys.com/kisses/produ...r-delight.aspx

I don't think we have to declare it. Some manufacturers will say "no
trans-fats" but it is a meaningless declaration because if it is under a
certain amount per serving they can call it that.

Correction - any polyunsaturated fat heated to a certain temperature
changes to about 50% or more trans-fats. Saturated fats do not,
because they do not have the type of links that can change to make
them trans-fats. I'm not sure about monounsaturated fats.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:36 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 8/31/2011 12:25 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
"Tiger wrote in message
[...]

I didn't look. Let me see if I can see the ingredients online.

Here's a link with nutritional information but no ingredients.

http://www.hersheys.com/kisses/produ...r-delight.aspx

Of course can't find it online. Let me go get the bag...

*Stomps off wearily*

Ingredients: Milk Chocolate (Sugar,Milk, Chocolate, Cocoa Butter, Lactose,
Milk Fat, Soy Lecithin, PGPR Emulsifier, Vanillin, Artificial Flavor).

Are there trans-fats in there? I don't know.

I'd say, you can't tell from that ingredients list.

The key phrase to watch for is "partially hydrogenated" - a process
that usually converts polyunsaturated fats at least 50% into
trans-fats.