Old 31-08-2011, 01:20 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Halloween

oh I would only do that if I ran out of candy!..lol

as long as it doesnt have hfcs I give away candy..I do keep a couple bags
of trinkets if ever I was asked but it hasnt come up yet.

I see it like just because I dont drink means I should take away your wine
or cause I like beef means you cant enjoy the chicken..

this is supposed to be a treat and I'm not going to visit my illness on
kids.

if I could eat candy I would..lol

I do allow my self a few peanut m and m's since if I keep it a few doesnt
blip my meter..lol

the first year I was afraid of temptation so had a 70 percent super rich bar
on hand..wasnt a problem.

last several years I pretty much buy all candies I wouldnt want anyhoo like
sweet tarts and twizzlers and gumballs etc.

now if I had all almond joys and snickers...might be bad..lol..oh and recess
peanut butter cups drool

KROM

"Storrmmee" wrote in message ...

he is very creative in a practicle way, that would have never occured to me,
and i think a mixed can would/might be a challenge, Lee
"KROM" wrote in message ...
that's a pretty smart solution!

most of us have jugs or cans of pennies etc we never turn in..lol

I have a 6 pound protein powder jug full of coins.

KROM

"Storrmmee" wrote in message ...

one year we let it sneak up on us, and i sell candy !!! when dh saw the
first batch of kids come up the walk he freaked out... he went to the
bedroom and came back with either pennies or nickles, can't remember, then
he went to the kitchen got a tablespoon, so when they got there he asked
each kid how old they were and then whatever their age they got to scoop
that many times... must have been pennies or nickles... the limit was 12
because he thought older than that was too old to be t/t anyway... Lee
"Janet" wrote in message
KROM wrote:
if one cant control themselves then you can buy those tiny plastic
bags cheap from a party store or Walgreens and fill them with toys
like spider rings and stickers and pencils.

if you want a food item small boxes of raisins can be added as well
as small bags of nuts.

if these are kids you know you can bake or buy something to give out
like allergy free cookies individually wrapped etc.

KROM

If a person knows they cannot deal well with temptation, how about
praising them for thinking ahead and avoiding the situation rather than
saying in a very superior manner that they "can't control themselves"?
Avoiding temptation IS a means of controlling oneself, at least for us
lesser mortals.

Making stuff is a waste of time, IMHO, since everyone has been
conditioned to believe that anything not in a manufacturer's wrapping is
potentially dangerous. (The only known case of actual candy poisoning was
a father who poisoned his own children, according to an article in the
Atlantic I read years ago, but that doesn't stop the idiots masquerading
as journalists on the TV from trotting out their ridiculous advice about
"checking treats" before your kid eats them every single year.)

The goodie bag approach would be awfully expensive if you had more than
just a few kids. I personally see no difference between the fruit rollups
Julie describes and a box of raisins.

But of course, YMMV.

Old 31-08-2011, 08:04 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet" wrote in message
KROM wrote:
[...]

Krom, the younger kids (up to 6 to 8) really like this option

after that, they would rather have 2 of the halloween choc bars

kate
Old 31-08-2011, 08:06 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 8/30/2011 1:21 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

I don't think kids like pencils or spider rings. At least my daughter never
did.

I offer a wide range of their choice of any 2 items from any 2 bowls

the spider rings would always be gone first

kate
Old 31-08-2011, 08:14 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" wrote in message
On 8/30/2011 1:21 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

I don't think kids like pencils or spider rings. At least my daughter
never
did.

I offer a wide range of their choice of any 2 items from any 2 bowls

the spider rings would always be gone first

Hmmm... I got the spider rings once and we had most of them left at the end
of the night. Of course it didn't help that other neighbors also had spider
rings. Angela came home with a ton of them. The things that went the best
for us were the rubber ducks and the stuffed animals.

I always had a lot of the stationary stuff left. Like notepads, stickers
and pencils.

Old 31-08-2011, 08:16 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet" wrote in message
KROM wrote:
[...]

I liked getting money when I was a kid so long as it was enough to buy
something with. In those days you could get a candy bar for a nickel.
Actually you could still get a tiny gumball for a penny. I believe the
larger gumballs and even the "penny" candy cost 2 cents in those days. If I
got just a penny, I wasn't so thrilled.

I really didn't like getting a toothbrush or a religious tract though.

Old 31-08-2011, 07:44 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Janet" wrote in message
KROM wrote:
[...]

Yep. I can remember my dad telling all of the kids on the block that
there was something wrong with the Clark bars. As such we were never
allowed to eat them. It was an urban legend. We were also never allowed
to have apples or anything anyone made. I don't recall getting anything
that anyone made but we did get some apples.

As for the raisins, I don't believe that most kids like them. I don't
know very many that do. At least I know they will eat the Fruit Rollups.

When I was a child we lived in small towns so all of our treats were
baked...or popcorn balls...sometimes candied or caramel apples...hardly ever
got store bought candy...when we moved to Tucson we thought it was a treat
to get candy bars in our bags We usually don't get kids on Halloween
because we live to far out and our houses are on 4-5 acres, not enough
houses to fill the bags I do buy candy just in case, and the day after
the left over candy goes to my husbands job. He is an instructor at a local
Community College...the students love the candy

Who needs Halloween? Malcom \Mal\ Reynolds General Cooking 20 25-10-2011 02:17 AM
Welcome HALLOWEEN UMMM General Cooking 0 14-10-2011 04:50 PM
Something different for Halloween? Help! Nexis General Cooking 19 04-11-2004 07:28 AM
Halloween Margaret Suran General Cooking 10 29-10-2004 11:55 PM
Halloween Virginia Tadrzynski General Cooking 20 15-10-2004 03:53 PM