Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Hi everybody

Just to let my friends on this newsgroup know that I had gastric
surgery a couple of weeks ago. I have already lost almost 30 lbs
from my highest weight. I lost twelve lbs before going into the
hospital and the rest since the surgery. The surgery my doctor chose
was the gastric sleeve, which is less invasive than the bypass.

The good news is that I have great energy, and am not using ANY
diabetes meds or insulin at this time. My numbers are great, but
then I am not eating hardly anything at all. Last night I had my
first soft boiled egg. Till now it has only been protein shakes for
all my meals.

I am glad I did it.

Evelyn

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Oh my goodness, that is fantastic. Good to hear success stories

"Evelyn" > wrote in message

> Just to let my friends on this newsgroup know that I had gastric
> surgery a couple of weeks ago. I have already lost almost 30 lbs
> from my highest weight. I lost twelve lbs before going into the
> hospital and the rest since the surgery. The surgery my doctor chose
> was the gastric sleeve, which is less invasive than the bypass.
>
> The good news is that I have great energy, and am not using ANY
> diabetes meds or insulin at this time. My numbers are great, but
> then I am not eating hardly anything at all. Last night I had my
> first soft boiled egg. Till now it has only been protein shakes for
> all my meals.
>
> I am glad I did it.
>
> Evelyn

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 21:00:09 +1000, "Ozgirl"
> wrote:

>Oh my goodness, that is fantastic. Good to hear success stories
>
>"Evelyn" > wrote in message
.. .

>> Just to let my friends on this newsgroup know that I had gastric
>> surgery a couple of weeks ago. I have already lost almost 30 lbs
>> from my highest weight. I lost twelve lbs before going into the
>> hospital and the rest since the surgery. The surgery my doctor chose
>> was the gastric sleeve, which is less invasive than the bypass.
>>
>> The good news is that I have great energy, and am not using ANY
>> diabetes meds or insulin at this time. My numbers are great, but
>> then I am not eating hardly anything at all. Last night I had my
>> first soft boiled egg. Till now it has only been protein shakes for
>> all my meals.
>>
>> I am glad I did it.
>>
>> Evelyn

Thanks, Ozgirl.

I was only in the hospital for two and a half days. No pain meds
needed at all. I'm doing very well, actually.

Evelyn
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Evelyn > wrote:

: Just to let my friends on this newsgroup know that I had gastric
: surgery a couple of weeks ago. I have already lost almost 30 lbs
: from my highest weight. I lost twelve lbs before going into the
: hospital and the rest since the surgery. The surgery my doctor chose
: was the gastric sleeve, which is less invasive than the bypass.

: The good news is that I have great energy, and am not using ANY
: diabetes meds or insulin at this time. My numbers are great, but
: then I am not eating hardly anything at all. Last night I had my
: first soft boiled egg. Till now it has only been protein shakes for
: all my meals.

: I am glad I did it.

: Evelyn

Good luck with it and keep us informed of your progress.

Slad to hear that is seems to be working so well for you. It is nice to
have you posting again You were missed

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message

> Just to let my friends on this newsgroup know that I had gastric
> surgery a couple of weeks ago. I have already lost almost 30 lbs
> from my highest weight. I lost twelve lbs before going into the
> hospital and the rest since the surgery. The surgery my doctor chose
> was the gastric sleeve, which is less invasive than the bypass.
>
> The good news is that I have great energy, and am not using ANY
> diabetes meds or insulin at this time. My numbers are great, but
> then I am not eating hardly anything at all. Last night I had my
> first soft boiled egg. Till now it has only been protein shakes for
> all my meals.
>
> I am glad I did it.
>
> Evelyn

Great news Evelyn! I'm glad it worked out so well for you since I know you
have been wanting to do it for a long time.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

glad it is going well for you!

it is a tough choice to make one that shouldnt be taken lightly as this is
as much of a commitment then any diet as you can never eat normal again or
stretch out your stomach undoing what was done with the surgery.

this was a strong choice to make..youre a strong person and I'm very happy
for you!

KROM

"Evelyn" wrote in message

Just to let my friends on this newsgroup know that I had gastric
surgery a couple of weeks ago. I have already lost almost 30 lbs
from my highest weight. I lost twelve lbs before going into the
hospital and the rest since the surgery. The surgery my doctor chose
was the gastric sleeve, which is less invasive than the bypass.

The good news is that I have great energy, and am not using ANY
diabetes meds or insulin at this time. My numbers are great, but
then I am not eating hardly anything at all. Last night I had my
first soft boiled egg. Till now it has only been protein shakes for
all my meals.

I am glad I did it.

Evelyn

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 06:52:00 -0400, Evelyn >
wrote:

>Just to let my friends on this newsgroup know that I had gastric
>surgery a couple of weeks ago. I have already lost almost 30 lbs
>from my highest weight. I lost twelve lbs before going into the
>hospital and the rest since the surgery. The surgery my doctor chose
>was the gastric sleeve, which is less invasive than the bypass.
>
>The good news is that I have great energy, and am not using ANY
>diabetes meds or insulin at this time. My numbers are great, but
>then I am not eating hardly anything at all. Last night I had my
>first soft boiled egg. Till now it has only been protein shakes for
>all my meals.
>
>I am glad I did it.
>
>Evelyn

Gutsy move -- yeah, pun intended. :-D -- and sounds like a successful
one, at that. Good for you! And best wishes for continued success
and a speedy recovery.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 12:44:36 -0500, "KROM" > wrote:

>if you notice she has only had protein shakes and a egg to eat..you too
>would likely not need meds eating 8 ounces of food a day.
>
>this surgery only forces restraint..its not a cure..not that you said it
>was..I'm just thinking of the people who say this "cured" them and nobody
>thinks what if you fed a person the same food no surgery would it have the
>same effect..I think it would..but would be much harder as the surgery lets
>you feel full on that diet while a non bypass person would feel starved.
>
>its interesting stuff to think about

Actually, there has been discussion in ASD about such surgery "curing"
T2, and there have been some interesting results.

Yes, if you're only eating eight ounces of food a day, the weight loss
is going to be swift and dramatic. And, yes, if you're only eating
protein, there's no "carb hit" to raise the BG. But with such a small
food intake each day, wouldn't there be issues with liver dumps?

I admit I don't know the in's and out's of all of this stuff, but from
what I've read in ASD from people who have not had this surgery, I
would think there would be BG problems with the limited food intake? I
know, personally, if I'm not eating much my BG can go up, especially
in the mornings. While I'm sure the "meals" are spread throughout the
day, wouldn't the mornings still be an issue? Evelyn says she isn't
needing her meds anymore, so I'm assuming her FBG is fine?

Just a lot of guessing, I know, but from this, and other reports, it
seems there's something going on other than just forced restraint.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"BlueBrooke" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 12:44:36 -0500, "KROM" > wrote:
>
>>if you notice she has only had protein shakes and a egg to eat..you too
>>would likely not need meds eating 8 ounces of food a day.
>>
>>this surgery only forces restraint..its not a cure..not that you said it
>>was..I'm just thinking of the people who say this "cured" them and nobody
>>thinks what if you fed a person the same food no surgery would it have the
>>same effect..I think it would..but would be much harder as the surgery
>>lets
>>you feel full on that diet while a non bypass person would feel starved.
>>
>>its interesting stuff to think about

> Actually, there has been discussion in ASD about such surgery "curing"
> T2, and there have been some interesting results.
>
> Yes, if you're only eating eight ounces of food a day, the weight loss
> is going to be swift and dramatic. And, yes, if you're only eating
> protein, there's no "carb hit" to raise the BG. But with such a small
> food intake each day, wouldn't there be issues with liver dumps?
>
> I admit I don't know the in's and out's of all of this stuff, but from
> what I've read in ASD from people who have not had this surgery, I
> would think there would be BG problems with the limited food intake? I
> know, personally, if I'm not eating much my BG can go up, especially
> in the mornings. While I'm sure the "meals" are spread throughout the
> day, wouldn't the mornings still be an issue? Evelyn says she isn't
> needing her meds anymore, so I'm assuming her FBG is fine?
>
> Just a lot of guessing, I know, but from this, and other reports, it
> seems there's something going on other than just forced restraint.

I know a couple of people in real life that have had it. One was many years
ago and she did eat her way through it after a few years, and one is really
happy with it. I saw a show on Dr. Phil once where there was some depression
going on after the surgery, due to the fact of not being able to eat some
things, but everyone is different and I think Evelyn has given it a lot of
thought before going ahead with it, so I do think she will be one of the
success stories. I think also that medicare and other insurances are
covering the surgery for most type 2's and not adhering strictly to the 100
pound overweight criteria anymore. :-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message

> Just to let my friends on this newsgroup know that I had gastric
> surgery a couple of weeks ago. I have already lost almost 30 lbs
> from my highest weight. I lost twelve lbs before going into the
> hospital and the rest since the surgery. The surgery my doctor chose
> was the gastric sleeve, which is less invasive than the bypass.
>
> The good news is that I have great energy, and am not using ANY
> diabetes meds or insulin at this time. My numbers are great, but
> then I am not eating hardly anything at all. Last night I had my
> first soft boiled egg. Till now it has only been protein shakes for
> all my meals.
>
> I am glad I did it.

Good!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 23 Aug 2011 00:00:56 +1000, atec77 > wrote:

>On 22/08/2011 10:11 PM, Evelyn wrote:
>> On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 21:00:09 +1000, "Ozgirl"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Oh my goodness, that is fantastic. Good to hear success stories

>> Thanks, Ozgirl.
>>
>> I was only in the hospital for two and a half days. No pain meds
>> needed at all. I'm doing very well, actually.
>>
>> Evelyn

>Is the weight lost a substantial percentage of you body mass ?
> Good you meds are down

I am only at the beginning of the third week post surgery. Yes, the
weight loss has been amazing.

Evelyn
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 12:44:36 -0500, "KROM" > wrote:

>if you notice she has only had protein shakes and a egg to eat..you too
>would likely not need meds eating 8 ounces of food a day.
>
>this surgery only forces restraint..its not a cure..not that you said it
>was..I'm just thinking of the people who say this "cured" them and nobody
>thinks what if you fed a person the same food no surgery would it have the
>same effect..I think it would..but would be much harder as the surgery lets
>you feel full on that diet while a non bypass person would feel starved.
>
>its interesting stuff to think about
>

>KROM
>

>"atec77" wrote
>Is the weight lost a substantial percentage of you body mass ?
> Good you meds are down

Bariatric surgery is NOT a cure. You have to police yourself as time
goes on. It is a good head start, that's all. You actually CANNOT
cheat. You go to a party or a gathering, and all you can have is a
protein shake which you have brought with you in your little lunch
bag. All I care about is that I am not so hungry and I am able to
satisfy my hunger easily with a very small amount of food at this
point. We will see where the journey goes.

Evelyn
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 12:06:48 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"BlueBrooke" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 12:44:36 -0500, "KROM" > wrote:
>>
>>>if you notice she has only had protein shakes and a egg to eat..you too
>>>would likely not need meds eating 8 ounces of food a day.
>>>
>>>this surgery only forces restraint..its not a cure..not that you said it
>>>was..I'm just thinking of the people who say this "cured" them and nobody
>>>thinks what if you fed a person the same food no surgery would it have the
>>>same effect..I think it would..but would be much harder as the surgery
>>>lets
>>>you feel full on that diet while a non bypass person would feel starved.
>>>
>>>its interesting stuff to think about

>> Actually, there has been discussion in ASD about such surgery "curing"
>> T2, and there have been some interesting results.
>>
>> Yes, if you're only eating eight ounces of food a day, the weight loss
>> is going to be swift and dramatic. And, yes, if you're only eating
>> protein, there's no "carb hit" to raise the BG. But with such a small
>> food intake each day, wouldn't there be issues with liver dumps?
>>
>> I admit I don't know the in's and out's of all of this stuff, but from
>> what I've read in ASD from people who have not had this surgery, I
>> would think there would be BG problems with the limited food intake? I
>> know, personally, if I'm not eating much my BG can go up, especially
>> in the mornings. While I'm sure the "meals" are spread throughout the
>> day, wouldn't the mornings still be an issue? Evelyn says she isn't
>> needing her meds anymore, so I'm assuming her FBG is fine?
>>
>> Just a lot of guessing, I know, but from this, and other reports, it
>> seems there's something going on other than just forced restraint.

>I know a couple of people in real life that have had it. One was many years
>ago and she did eat her way through it after a few years, and one is really
>happy with it. I saw a show on Dr. Phil once where there was some depression
>going on after the surgery, due to the fact of not being able to eat some
>things, but everyone is different and I think Evelyn has given it a lot of
>thought before going ahead with it, so I do think she will be one of the
>success stories. I think also that medicare and other insurances are
>covering the surgery for most type 2's and not adhering strictly to the 100
>pound overweight criteria anymore. :-)
>
>Cheri

I began the process in January. They require attendance at nutrition
classes, educational classes, all sorts of medical testing to get
everything else in line, including a psych workup. One is very well
educated and ready for it by the time you get a surgical date.

As I said, my surgery is called "Gastric Sleeve" which consists of
simply making your stomach into a long narrow tube which only holds
about 4 ounces of anything at a time. The doctor said they have been
getting very good results with this surgery, which is not as drastic
as the bypass.

Evelyn
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 14:04:30 +0000 (UTC), "W. Baker"
> wrote:

>Evelyn > wrote:
>
>: Just to let my friends on this newsgroup know that I had gastric
>: surgery a couple of weeks ago. I have already lost almost 30 lbs
>: from my highest weight. I lost twelve lbs before going into the
>: hospital and the rest since the surgery. The surgery my doctor chose
>: was the gastric sleeve, which is less invasive than the bypass.
>
>: The good news is that I have great energy, and am not using ANY
>: diabetes meds or insulin at this time. My numbers are great, but
>: then I am not eating hardly anything at all. Last night I had my
>: first soft boiled egg. Till now it has only been protein shakes for
>: all my meals.
>
>: I am glad I did it.
>
>: Evelyn
>
>Good luck with it and keep us informed of your progress.
>
>Slad to hear that is seems to be working so well for you. It is nice to
>have you posting again You were missed
>
>Wendy

I drop in from time to time and read whatever is going on. Been
frequenting another newsgroup which is VERY busy with a huge number of
posts and posters, so there is only so much time in a day to
computerize! :-) Thanks for the good wishes, Wendy!
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 12:30:45 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Evelyn" > wrote in message
.. .

>> Just to let my friends on this newsgroup know that I had gastric
>> surgery a couple of weeks ago. I have already lost almost 30 lbs
>> from my highest weight. I lost twelve lbs before going into the
>> hospital and the rest since the surgery. The surgery my doctor chose
>> was the gastric sleeve, which is less invasive than the bypass.
>>
>> The good news is that I have great energy, and am not using ANY
>> diabetes meds or insulin at this time. My numbers are great, but
>> then I am not eating hardly anything at all. Last night I had my
>> first soft boiled egg. Till now it has only been protein shakes for
>> all my meals.
>>
>> I am glad I did it.

>Good!

Thanks all for the good wishes. I will have to stick with it for it
to work. There is no such thing as a free lunch, and lots of people
have discovered this surgery is not a magic fix. Still have to diet
and all the rest for it to work.

Evelyn

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 12:06:48 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>
>>"BlueBrooke" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> Actually, there has been discussion in ASD about such surgery "curing"
>>> T2, and there have been some interesting results.
>>>
>>> Yes, if you're only eating eight ounces of food a day, the weight loss
>>> is going to be swift and dramatic. And, yes, if you're only eating
>>> protein, there's no "carb hit" to raise the BG. But with such a small
>>> food intake each day, wouldn't there be issues with liver dumps?
>>>
>>> I admit I don't know the in's and out's of all of this stuff, but from
>>> what I've read in ASD from people who have not had this surgery, I
>>> would think there would be BG problems with the limited food intake? I
>>> know, personally, if I'm not eating much my BG can go up, especially
>>> in the mornings. While I'm sure the "meals" are spread throughout the
>>> day, wouldn't the mornings still be an issue? Evelyn says she isn't
>>> needing her meds anymore, so I'm assuming her FBG is fine?
>>>
>>> Just a lot of guessing, I know, but from this, and other reports, it
>>> seems there's something going on other than just forced restraint.

>>I know a couple of people in real life that have had it. One was many
>>years
>>ago and she did eat her way through it after a few years, and one is
>>really
>>happy with it. I saw a show on Dr. Phil once where there was some
>>depression
>>going on after the surgery, due to the fact of not being able to eat some
>>things, but everyone is different and I think Evelyn has given it a lot of
>>thought before going ahead with it, so I do think she will be one of the
>>success stories. I think also that medicare and other insurances are
>>covering the surgery for most type 2's and not adhering strictly to the
>>100
>>pound overweight criteria anymore. :-)
>>
>>Cheri
>>

> I began the process in January. They require attendance at nutrition
> classes, educational classes, all sorts of medical testing to get
> everything else in line, including a psych workup. One is very well
> educated and ready for it by the time you get a surgical date.
>
> As I said, my surgery is called "Gastric Sleeve" which consists of
> simply making your stomach into a long narrow tube which only holds
> about 4 ounces of anything at a time. The doctor said they have been
> getting very good results with this surgery, which is not as drastic
> as the bypass.
>
> Evelyn

I'm really happy for you Evelyn, and wish you the best with it. I will be
really interested in your progress. I remember that Sambalover had some kind
of weight loss surgery, but she really didn't give updates on it that much,
I hope you do.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Evelyn" > wrote in message
>> On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 12:06:48 -0700, "Cheri" >
>> wrote:

>>>I know a couple of people in real life that have had it. One was many
>>>years
>>>ago and she did eat her way through it after a few years, and one is
>>>really
>>>happy with it. I saw a show on Dr. Phil once where there was some
>>>depression
>>>going on after the surgery, due to the fact of not being able to eat
>>>some
>>>things, but everyone is different and I think Evelyn has given it a
>>>lot of
>>>thought before going ahead with it, so I do think she will be one of
>>>the
>>>success stories. I think also that medicare and other insurances are
>>>covering the surgery for most type 2's and not adhering strictly to
>>>the 100
>>>pound overweight criteria anymore. :-)
>>>
>>>Cheri
>>>

>> I began the process in January. They require attendance at
>> nutrition
>> classes, educational classes, all sorts of medical testing to get
>> everything else in line, including a psych workup. One is very well
>> educated and ready for it by the time you get a surgical date.
>>
>> As I said, my surgery is called "Gastric Sleeve" which consists of
>> simply making your stomach into a long narrow tube which only holds
>> about 4 ounces of anything at a time. The doctor said they have
>> been
>> getting very good results with this surgery, which is not as drastic
>> as the bypass.
>>
>> Evelyn

> I'm really happy for you Evelyn, and wish you the best with it. I will
> be really interested in your progress. I remember that Sambalover had
> some kind of weight loss surgery, but she really didn't give updates
> on it that much, I hope you do.
>
> Cheri

I am pretty sure Bev has kept the weight off. IIRC she had the
Roux-en-Y.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 23 Aug 2011 10:06:53 +1000, "Ozgirl"
> wrote:

>"Cheri" > wrote in message
>> "Evelyn" > wrote in message

m...

>>> I began the process in January. They require attendance at
>>> nutrition
>>> classes, educational classes, all sorts of medical testing to get
>>> everything else in line, including a psych workup. One is very well
>>> educated and ready for it by the time you get a surgical date.
>>>
>>> As I said, my surgery is called "Gastric Sleeve" which consists of
>>> simply making your stomach into a long narrow tube which only holds
>>> about 4 ounces of anything at a time. The doctor said they have
>>> been
>>> getting very good results with this surgery, which is not as drastic
>>> as the bypass.
>>>
>>> Evelyn

>> I'm really happy for you Evelyn, and wish you the best with it. I will
>> be really interested in your progress. I remember that Sambalover had
>> some kind of weight loss surgery, but she really didn't give updates
>> on it that much, I hope you do.
>>
>> Cheri

>I am pretty sure Bev has kept the weight off. IIRC she had the
>Roux-en-Y.

My doc says he is getting just as good results with the gastric
sleeve, which leaves the duodenum intact and does not re-route
anything.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> I am pretty sure Bev has kept the weight off. IIRC she had the Roux-en-Y.

I don't remember, but she didn't talk about it much because some people
ragged her about it.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Evelyn > wrote:
: >>>
: >>> I began the process in January. They require attendance at
: >>> nutrition
: >>> classes, educational classes, all sorts of medical testing to get
: >>> everything else in line, including a psych workup. One is very well
: >>> educated and ready for it by the time you get a surgical date.
: >>>
: >>> As I said, my surgery is called "Gastric Sleeve" which consists of
: >>> simply making your stomach into a long narrow tube which only holds
: >>> about 4 ounces of anything at a time. The doctor said they have
: >>> been
: >>> getting very good results with this surgery, which is not as drastic
: >>> as the bypass.
: >>>
: >>> Evelyn
: >>

: My doc says he is getting just as good results with the gastric
: sleeve, which leaves the duodenum intact and does not re-route
: anything.

Does this surgery actually physically make the stomach smaller or does it
wrap it in som ekind of sleeve that prevents it form maintaining its
regular shape?

Wendy-somewhat confused.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

will you be required to take supplements/shakes, or will you be able to
return to solid foods? I know next to nothing about any of these surgeries,
Lee
"Evelyn" > wrote in message

> Just to let my friends on this newsgroup know that I had gastric
> surgery a couple of weeks ago. I have already lost almost 30 lbs
> from my highest weight. I lost twelve lbs before going into the
> hospital and the rest since the surgery. The surgery my doctor chose
> was the gastric sleeve, which is less invasive than the bypass.
>
> The good news is that I have great energy, and am not using ANY
> diabetes meds or insulin at this time. My numbers are great, but
> then I am not eating hardly anything at all. Last night I had my
> first soft boiled egg. Till now it has only been protein shakes for
> all my meals.
>
> I am glad I did it.
>
> Evelyn

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

the reason it is interesting to me is I know a few people who have had it
done..sadly one person had a bad one and passed away so for years I was VERY
anti bypass...but seeing it as a last resort I see its value and there are
safer surgeries now.

recently a friend was debating getting it and told her to ask the doctor if
she could try to live as if she had the surgery..eating a Dixie cup of
protein shake and taking vitamins..

they reacted as if she had asked them to cut her head off!

they insisted the surgery was her only option.

my thing is we know these surgeries get results but nobody has tested a
person with a stapled jaw eating the exact same diet as the bypass person to
see if it truly is the "gut brain" theory of it its something else.

when I was 16 they insisted I was obese because I was large for my age and
they put me on a extreme diet of 8 ounces protein a day and water..and of
course within a month I was 5 percent body fat and you could see the muscle
striations in my chest and legs and back..I am genetically well muscled and
its what got me started in body building..but the point is it clearly worked
but why no the same diet but with unlimited green veggies or something less
drastic

but ever since them insisting I was near death at 20 pounds max overweight
at 16 it made me interested in fitness and diet..plus my mother dying a
horrible death from diabetes at 37..she was always following the latest fad
she read in the mags to "cure" herself.

sadly I have no answers..my friend got the surgery and did well but returned
to eating pre surgery and gained it back and we lost touch

but I always wondered what the results would be if she tried to eating as if
she had the surgery minus the surgery test...

KROM

"BlueBrooke" wrote in message

On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 12:44:36 -0500, "KROM" > wrote:

>if you notice she has only had protein shakes and a egg to eat..you too
>would likely not need meds eating 8 ounces of food a day.
>
>this surgery only forces restraint..its not a cure..not that you said it
>was..I'm just thinking of the people who say this "cured" them and nobody
>thinks what if you fed a person the same food no surgery would it have the
>same effect..I think it would..but would be much harder as the surgery lets
>you feel full on that diet while a non bypass person would feel starved.
>
>its interesting stuff to think about

Actually, there has been discussion in ASD about such surgery "curing"
T2, and there have been some interesting results.

Yes, if you're only eating eight ounces of food a day, the weight loss
is going to be swift and dramatic. And, yes, if you're only eating
protein, there's no "carb hit" to raise the BG. But with such a small
food intake each day, wouldn't there be issues with liver dumps?

I admit I don't know the in's and out's of all of this stuff, but from
what I've read in ASD from people who have not had this surgery, I
would think there would be BG problems with the limited food intake? I
know, personally, if I'm not eating much my BG can go up, especially
in the mornings. While I'm sure the "meals" are spread throughout the
day, wouldn't the mornings still be an issue? Evelyn says she isn't
needing her meds anymore, so I'm assuming her FBG is fine?

Just a lot of guessing, I know, but from this, and other reports, it
seems there's something going on other than just forced restraint.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

please keep in my mind I was musing on the surgery itself and in no way
commenting on her surgery other then to wish her the best.

just wanted to be clear..its a interesting topic to me is all.

KROM

"Cheri" wrote in message ...

"BlueBrooke" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 12:44:36 -0500, "KROM" > wrote:
>
>>if you notice she has only had protein shakes and a egg to eat..you too
>>would likely not need meds eating 8 ounces of food a day.
>>
>>this surgery only forces restraint..its not a cure..not that you said it
>>was..I'm just thinking of the people who say this "cured" them and nobody
>>thinks what if you fed a person the same food no surgery would it have the
>>same effect..I think it would..but would be much harder as the surgery
>>lets
>>you feel full on that diet while a non bypass person would feel starved.
>>
>>its interesting stuff to think about

> Actually, there has been discussion in ASD about such surgery "curing"
> T2, and there have been some interesting results.
>
> Yes, if you're only eating eight ounces of food a day, the weight loss
> is going to be swift and dramatic. And, yes, if you're only eating
> protein, there's no "carb hit" to raise the BG. But with such a small
> food intake each day, wouldn't there be issues with liver dumps?
>
> I admit I don't know the in's and out's of all of this stuff, but from
> what I've read in ASD from people who have not had this surgery, I
> would think there would be BG problems with the limited food intake? I
> know, personally, if I'm not eating much my BG can go up, especially
> in the mornings. While I'm sure the "meals" are spread throughout the
> day, wouldn't the mornings still be an issue? Evelyn says she isn't
> needing her meds anymore, so I'm assuming her FBG is fine?
>
> Just a lot of guessing, I know, but from this, and other reports, it
> seems there's something going on other than just forced restraint.

I know a couple of people in real life that have had it. One was many years
ago and she did eat her way through it after a few years, and one is really
happy with it. I saw a show on Dr. Phil once where there was some depression
going on after the surgery, due to the fact of not being able to eat some
things, but everyone is different and I think Evelyn has given it a lot of
thought before going ahead with it, so I do think she will be one of the
success stories. I think also that medicare and other insurances are
covering the surgery for most type 2's and not adhering strictly to the 100
pound overweight criteria anymore. :-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

not to be too gross but a pal of mine had it done and we went to burger king
and she ate 3 fries and a small as in baby sized shake and went outside and
promptly tossed it all up much to the dismay of all eating at the window she
was in front of...lol

she thought she could get away with being naughty but was shown otherwise.

:-)

KROM

"Evelyn" wrote
Bariatric surgery is NOT a cure. You have to police yourself as time
goes on. It is a good head start, that's all. You actually CANNOT
cheat. You go to a party or a gathering, and all you can have is a
protein shake which you have brought with you in your little lunch
bag. All I care about is that I am not so hungry and I am able to
satisfy my hunger easily with a very small amount of food at this
point. We will see where the journey goes.

Evelyn

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

lol.

"KROM" > wrote in message
> not to be too gross but a pal of mine had it done and we went to
> burger king and she ate 3 fries and a small as in baby sized shake and
> went outside and promptly tossed it all up much to the dismay of all
> eating at the window she was in front of...lol
>
> she thought she could get away with being naughty but was shown
> otherwise.
>
> :-)
>
> KROM
>

> "Evelyn" wrote
> Bariatric surgery is NOT a cure. You have to police yourself as time
> goes on. It is a good head start, that's all. You actually CANNOT
> cheat. You go to a party or a gathering, and all you can have is a
> protein shake which you have brought with you in your little lunch
> bag. All I care about is that I am not so hungry and I am able to
> satisfy my hunger easily with a very small amount of food at this
> point. We will see where the journey goes.
>
> Evelyn

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 23 Aug 2011 02:42:50 +0000 (UTC), "W. Baker"
> wrote:

>Evelyn > wrote:
>: >>>
>: >>> I began the process in January. They require attendance at
>: >>> nutrition
>: >>> classes, educational classes, all sorts of medical testing to get
>: >>> everything else in line, including a psych workup. One is very well
>: >>> educated and ready for it by the time you get a surgical date.
>: >>>
>: >>> As I said, my surgery is called "Gastric Sleeve" which consists of
>: >>> simply making your stomach into a long narrow tube which only holds
>: >>> about 4 ounces of anything at a time. The doctor said they have
>: >>> been
>: >>> getting very good results with this surgery, which is not as drastic
>: >>> as the bypass.
>: >>>
>: >>> Evelyn
>: >>
>
>: My doc says he is getting just as good results with the gastric
>: sleeve, which leaves the duodenum intact and does not re-route
>: anything.
>
>Does this surgery actually physically make the stomach smaller or does it
>wrap it in som ekind of sleeve that prevents it form maintaining its
>regular shape?
>
>Wendy-somewhat confused.

They actually cut away most of the stomach, leaving only a long thin
tubular shaped stomach that only holds a few ounces of food. They
staple the edges shut. Google it. There is a lot of information on
the net.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 18:41:12 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>
>> I am pretty sure Bev has kept the weight off. IIRC she had the Roux-en-Y.

>I don't remember, but she didn't talk about it much because some people
>ragged her about it.
>
>Cheri

That is why I only posted about it here. I know most of the posters
here are the kinder variety :-)
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 23 Aug 2011 05:05:18 -0500, "KROM" > wrote:

>not to be too gross but a pal of mine had it done and we went to burger king
>and she ate 3 fries and a small as in baby sized shake and went outside and
>promptly tossed it all up much to the dismay of all eating at the window she
>was in front of...lol
>
>she thought she could get away with being naughty but was shown otherwise.
>
>:-)
>
>KROM

The kind of surgery I had doesn't result in you upchucking the food.
The Rouen-Y surgery disconnects the duodenum and often results in
throwing up. I had the Gastric Sleeve. You can look it up. There
is a lot of information on the net about it. If you eat too much,
you just feel over full.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 23 Aug 2011 04:38:08 -0500, "Storrmmee"
> wrote:

>will you be required to take supplements/shakes, or will you be able to
>return to solid foods? I know next to nothing about any of these surgeries,
>Lee

I had a scrambled egg and a slice of american cheese for breakfast.
Eaten very slowly and very well chewed before swallowing.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I have a question, why is removing part of the stomach and making the tube
prefferable to the, lap band, surgery. not sure if i got the name right,
but the stomach is bandaded and can be adjusted/removed supposedly easily...
I am just more curious than anything else, Lee
"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 18:41:12 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>
>>"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>>
>>> I am pretty sure Bev has kept the weight off. IIRC she had the
>>> Roux-en-Y.

>>I don't remember, but she didn't talk about it much because some people
>>ragged her about it.
>>
>>Cheri

> That is why I only posted about it here. I know most of the posters
> here are the kinder variety :-)

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 23 Aug 2011 08:42:00 -0500, "Storrmmee"
> wrote:

>I have a question, why is removing part of the stomach and making the tube
>prefferable to the, lap band, surgery. not sure if i got the name right,
>but the stomach is bandaded and can be adjusted/removed supposedly easily...
>I am just more curious than anything else, Lee

The lap band is a foreign object. You need to have it tightened
every so often, and they have to find the port under the skin, and
inject more saline in it to tighten it.

Everyone I know who got it, is fat again. Making the stomach
smaller can also result in getting fat again if you abuse it and fail
to watch your weight, but it is less likely, and there is no foreign
object to need removal.

There is a wealth of information on the internet. All the various
options are out there.

Evelyn

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

BlueBrooke wrote:
<snip>

> Actually, there has been discussion in ASD about such surgery "curing"
> T2, and there have been some interesting results.

If memory serves, doesn't that have something to do with literally
reconstructing the colon so that food reaches a different part of it first?

Good luck with this, Evelyn. Glad you are feeling so well and losing weight.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

interesting thanks, Lee
"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 23 Aug 2011 08:42:00 -0500, "Storrmmee"
> > wrote:
>
>>I have a question, why is removing part of the stomach and making the tube
>>prefferable to the, lap band, surgery. not sure if i got the name right,
>>but the stomach is bandaded and can be adjusted/removed supposedly
>>easily...
>>I am just more curious than anything else, Lee

> The lap band is a foreign object. You need to have it tightened
> every so often, and they have to find the port under the skin, and
> inject more saline in it to tighten it.
>
> Everyone I know who got it, is fat again. Making the stomach
> smaller can also result in getting fat again if you abuse it and fail
> to watch your weight, but it is less likely, and there is no foreign
> object to need removal.
>
> There is a wealth of information on the internet. All the various
> options are out there.
>
> Evelyn

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 8/22/2011 4:52 AM, Evelyn wrote:

> Just to let my friends on this newsgroup know that I had gastric
> surgery a couple of weeks ago. I have already lost almost 30 lbs
> from my highest weight. I lost twelve lbs before going into the
> hospital and the rest since the surgery. The surgery my doctor chose
> was the gastric sleeve, which is less invasive than the bypass.
>
> The good news is that I have great energy, and am not using ANY
> diabetes meds or insulin at this time. My numbers are great, but
> then I am not eating hardly anything at all. Last night I had my
> first soft boiled egg. Till now it has only been protein shakes for
> all my meals.
>
> I am glad I did it.
>
> Evelyn

Evelyn, sounds like you are off to a great start on the weight loss,
congratulations!

Please keep us up to date on your progress!

all the best

kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i have had a few friends who have gotten differing ones, but other than what
they shared i know next to nothing, having as many surgeries as i did when
younger, it has never even entered my mind as an option, Lee
"KROM" > wrote in message ...
> yeah there's like 20 different types
> now..bypass..bands..staples..sleeves...clips and whatnot..even
> balloons..lol
>
> KROM
>

> "Evelyn" wrote
> The kind of surgery I had doesn't result in you upchucking the food.
> The Rouen-Y surgery disconnects the duodenum and often results in
> throwing up. I had the Gastric Sleeve. You can look it up. There
> is a lot of information on the net about it. If you eat too much,
> you just feel over full.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 23 Aug 2011 08:42:00 -0500, "Storrmmee"
> > wrote:
>
>>I have a question, why is removing part of the stomach and making the
>>tube
>>prefferable to the, lap band, surgery. not sure if i got the name
>>right,
>>but the stomach is bandaded and can be adjusted/removed supposedly
>>easily...
>>I am just more curious than anything else, Lee

> The lap band is a foreign object. You need to have it tightened
> every so often, and they have to find the port under the skin, and
> inject more saline in it to tighten it.
>
> Everyone I know who got it, is fat again. Making the stomach
> smaller can also result in getting fat again if you abuse it and fail
> to watch your weight, but it is less likely, and there is no foreign
> object to need removal.
>
> There is a wealth of information on the internet. All the various
> options are out there.
>
> Evelyn

yes, I know someone who had the lap banding fail, well it didn't fail,
the person did. They went on to have another procedure but I didn't want
to ask what that was and the weight loss has been miraculous and staying
off thus far. This person did have some post op complications though. I
am so pleased everything went well for you Evelyn and that you are
feeling great

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 09:22:12 +1000, "Ozgirl"
> wrote:

>"Evelyn" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Tue, 23 Aug 2011 08:42:00 -0500, "Storrmmee"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>I have a question, why is removing part of the stomach and making the
>>>tube
>>>prefferable to the, lap band, surgery. not sure if i got the name
>>>right,
>>>but the stomach is bandaded and can be adjusted/removed supposedly
>>>easily...
>>>I am just more curious than anything else, Lee

>> The lap band is a foreign object. You need to have it tightened
>> every so often, and they have to find the port under the skin, and
>> inject more saline in it to tighten it.
>>
>> Everyone I know who got it, is fat again. Making the stomach
>> smaller can also result in getting fat again if you abuse it and fail
>> to watch your weight, but it is less likely, and there is no foreign
>> object to need removal.
>>
>> There is a wealth of information on the internet. All the various
>> options are out there.
>>
>> Evelyn

>yes, I know someone who had the lap banding fail, well it didn't fail,
>the person did. They went on to have another procedure but I didn't want
>to ask what that was and the weight loss has been miraculous and staying
>off thus far. This person did have some post op complications though. I
>am so pleased everything went well for you Evelyn and that you are
>feeling great

Thanks, Ozgirl.

:-)
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 23 Aug 2011 10:51:38 -0400, "Janet" >
wrote:

>BlueBrooke wrote:
><snip>
>
>> Actually, there has been discussion in ASD about such surgery "curing"
>> T2, and there have been some interesting results.

>If memory serves, doesn't that have something to do with literally
>reconstructing the colon so that food reaches a different part of it first?
>
>Good luck with this, Evelyn. Glad you are feeling so well and losing weight.

Thanks.

They don't touch the colon. In bypass surgery they disconnect a part
of the stomach and reconnect to the small intestine further down, so
the procedure is not just restrictive, but also malabsorbtive.

I didn't have that surgery. In my case they only just made the
stomach itself smaller.

Evelyn
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 23 Aug 2011 09:56:44 -0600, Tiger Lily > wrote:

>On 8/22/2011 4:52 AM, Evelyn wrote:
>>
>> Just to let my friends on this newsgroup know that I had gastric
>> surgery a couple of weeks ago. I have already lost almost 30 lbs
>> from my highest weight. I lost twelve lbs before going into the
>> hospital and the rest since the surgery. The surgery my doctor chose
>> was the gastric sleeve, which is less invasive than the bypass.
>>
>> The good news is that I have great energy, and am not using ANY
>> diabetes meds or insulin at this time. My numbers are great, but
>> then I am not eating hardly anything at all. Last night I had my
>> first soft boiled egg. Till now it has only been protein shakes for
>> all my meals.
>>
>> I am glad I did it.
>>
>> Evelyn
>>

>Evelyn, sounds like you are off to a great start on the weight loss,
>congratulations!
>
>Please keep us up to date on your progress!
>
>all the best
>
>kate

Will do! Thanks.