Old 26-08-2011, 06:06 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Hi everybody

"Alan S" wrote in message
news
Cheri

I won't dwell on it Cheri. Partly because it hurts too much.

It wasn't Kurt or Bob who chased me out. I could always handle them.
Barbs from known enemies don't puncture the skin. But wounds from
friends go deep.

In December I reported the publication of my book.

As a brand new nervous author I was naively hoping for a little bit of
praise, or at least a cyber-pat on the head. A few people did respond
that way. But I was very hurt and shocked when some I had thought were
friends treated me like a spammer. I thought I had earned the right
with a presence helping newbies over the years to treatment a little
kinder than that.

I received a very different response on other forums. I'm human. I
stayed where I felt I was appreciated. I departed a place where I
obviously wasn't.

I had been there since 2002. And I still feel I learned more on asd
and mhd than any of the many other sources of diabetes information I
have read over that period. I praise you all in other places.

Anyway, I don't want to dwell on it or hijack Evelyn's good news. I'll
drop in here once in a blue moon, but on asd never again.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d & e; metformin 2000mg

I do understand Alan, and I do believe that I've always said what a great
help you have been to me personally, but...I still don't believe *you*
should have advertised your book with a link there. You could easily have
emailed just about anybody to mention it for you, I know I would have, just
like we did for Quentin's book, but...it's an old story now and your
feelings are certainly valid. Take care.

Cheri

Old 26-08-2011, 09:32 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
i am thinkin chocolate meatloaf might not do, lol, Lee

You never know lee, sausages come in so many flavours now

"Evelyn" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 11:53:34 -0500, "Storrmmee"
wrote:

interesting, protien powder is something i have never looked into, i
only
started just looking at it in relation to using it as a binder for
sausage/meatloaf, Lee

It is protein from whey. They do have an unflavored, but it is
mostly sold as vanilla and chocolate flavored.

Old 26-08-2011, 10:21 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"atec77" wrote in message
On 26/08/2011 2:19 PM, Alan S wrote:
On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 06:57:46 -0400,
wrote:

On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 12:39:32 +1000, Alan S
wrote:

On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 06:52:00 -0400,
wrote:

Just to let my friends on this newsgroup know that I had gastric
surgery a couple of weeks ago. I have already lost almost 30 lbs
from my highest weight. I lost twelve lbs before going into the
hospital and the rest since the surgery. The surgery my doctor
chose
was the gastric sleeve, which is less invasive than the bypass.

The good news is that I have great energy, and am not using ANY
diabetes meds or insulin at this time. My numbers are great, but
then I am not eating hardly anything at all. Last night I had my
first soft boiled egg. Till now it has only been protein shakes
for
all my meals.

I am glad I did it.

Evelyn

Hello Evelyn

I rarely post on usenet these days, but I cannot let your post pass
unnoticed.

Wishing you the very best for rapid healing. I hope the surgery
achieves your aims and wish you the very best of good health for
the
future.

Lovely to see you again.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d& e; metformin 2000mg

Alan, thank you so much for the good wishes. Your posts were always
among my favorites! How are you doing these days?

Evelyn

I'm fine. I spend most of my time, when I'm not wandering the far
side
of the world or writing blogs and books, on the ADA, dLIfe and DSF.UK
forums these days. With occasional drop-ins on TuDiabetes and a few
others.

I went to the UK and Europe (France, Switzerland, Italy, Croatia,
Bosnia and Herzegovina, Russia) via Malaysia and India over May/June.
A highlight for me was a get-together with the DSF.UK group near
Birmingham.

Pics here, msg 321 and onwards:
http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/f...5726751/s-315/

Some may recall Patti from a.s.d.uk; she started that forum. I
recommend it to UK people or any other mmolers. I was a bit sad to
get
chased out of a.s.d, but that's life I suppose. Actually, I was very
sad.

Good to see you are doing well and I sincerely hope this procedure
helps you achieve your goals.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d& e; metformin 2000mg

GiDay Al
Just for an update I have just finished a drug trial on a once a week
pill , seemed to work and now the same company here in Brisbane is
testing a new form of spray injected insulin thingy , I know little
about that as I am not participating however it looks like with the
current speed of advancements a couple of years will certainly see
much easier treatment and with the advances from New Zealand a viable
solution is near

What drug? Or aren't you allowed to say.

Old 26-08-2011, 12:19 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 14:51:00 +1000, Alan S
wrote:

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 21:23:36 -0700, "Cheri"
wrote:

"Alan S" wrote in message
. ..

Some may recall Patti from a.s.d.uk; she started that forum. I
recommend it to UK people or any other mmolers. I was a bit sad to get
chased out of a.s.d, but that's life I suppose. Actually, I was very
sad.

You were chased out? That really doesn't fit your posting history through
the years Alan. I can't imagine anyone chasing you out of anyplace that you
*wanted* to be. Good to hear that it goes well with you though.

[...]

Alan I am astonished that you left there. I left too, but it was for
time constraints, not due to anyone harassing me. I still come in
here though, because I still do love to cook, and enjoy those who post
here.

Evelyn
Old 26-08-2011, 06:22 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" wrote in message

I personally think that Alan was always one of the best posters there,
and along with Quentin, always gave good information. It is a shame
he was attacked for doing what the group's purpose is..... purportedly
to support people with diabetes.

He was not "attacked," and selling ones own book outright is the not the
*purpose* of the group either. None of that has a thing to do with whether
Alan was a great poster or not, I think pretty much everybody thinks he was.
EOD on my part, since we've already been there done that, and as you
say..."But that is just my opinion, and frankly I don't give a hoot if
anyone disagrees with it." Ditto that.

Cheri

Old 27-08-2011, 01:01 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" wrote in message

IMO ASD lost a lot because of the pettiness of a very small few, who
appear to agree with each other on a lot of different issues.

Then maybe we can agree to leave this *old news* and pettiness behind in the
diabetic FOOD group and take it back to ASD if you're wanting to carry it
on.

Cheri

Old 27-08-2011, 01:22 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" wrote in message
"Ozgirl" wrote in message

IMO ASD lost a lot because of the pettiness of a very small few, who
appear to agree with each other on a lot of different issues.

Then maybe we can agree to leave this *old news* and pettiness behind
in the diabetic FOOD group and take it back to ASD if you're wanting
to carry it on.

Cheri

Umm, who made the first response to Alan about this issue in this
thread? Who was the second to comment from the Three Musketeers? Who
also said EOD? Enuf said.

Old 27-08-2011, 01:44 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" wrote in message

"Cheri" wrote in message
"Ozgirl" wrote in message

IMO ASD lost a lot because of the pettiness of a very small few, who
appear to agree with each other on a lot of different issues.

Then maybe we can agree to leave this *old news* and pettiness behind in
the diabetic FOOD group and take it back to ASD if you're wanting to
carry it on.

Cheri

Umm, who made the first response to Alan about this issue in this thread?
Who was the second to comment from the Three Musketeers? Who also said
EOD? Enuf said.

Yes, Alan specifically responded to *me.* I was not the person who brought
it up, he did. I believe I said that I didn't believe anyone could run him
off if he didn't want to go. You're like a little yapping dog nipping at
peoples heels while trying to stir stuff up that's long dead...so bite me
Jan.

Cheri

Old 27-08-2011, 02:17 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" wrote in message
"Ozgirl" wrote in message

"Cheri" wrote in message
"Ozgirl" wrote in message

IMO ASD lost a lot because of the pettiness of a very small few,
who appear to agree with each other on a lot of different issues.

Then maybe we can agree to leave this *old news* and pettiness
behind in the diabetic FOOD group and take it back to ASD if you're
wanting to carry it on.

Cheri

Umm, who made the first response to Alan about this issue in this
thread? Who was the second to comment from the Three Musketeers? Who
also said EOD? Enuf said.

Yes, Alan specifically responded to *me.* I was not the person who
brought it up, he did. I believe I said that I didn't believe anyone
could run him off if he didn't want to go. You're like a little
yapping dog nipping at peoples heels while trying to stir stuff up
that's long dead...so bite me Jan.

He said he was chased out, no names mentioned, you picked up and ran
with the ball after that. I also said you "responded" to him over the
old news, not that you initiated it. If you didn't want to rehash old
news you could have ignored his post to Evelyn. If you sincerely wanted
to keep stuff dead then you would have said nothing. I am not interested
in biting people, just setting things straight.

My message to you still stands. You "did" make the first response about
the issue to Alan, seconded by Susan. The same two people in the
original 136 post thread that criticised him for being blatantly
commercial. So in your own words, if you didn't want stuff stirred up
why the hack did you respond to him in the first place. You knew it was
provocative as it elicited so many responses in ASD. And that's all I am
saying about it. Sorry Evelyn.

Old 27-08-2011, 09:23 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 27/08/2011 10:44 AM, Cheri wrote:
"Ozgirl" wrote in message

"Cheri" wrote in message
"Ozgirl" wrote in message

IMO ASD lost a lot because of the pettiness of a very small few, who
appear to agree with each other on a lot of different issues.

Then maybe we can agree to leave this *old news* and pettiness behind
in the diabetic FOOD group and take it back to ASD if you're wanting
to carry it on.

Cheri

Umm, who made the first response to Alan about this issue in this
thread? Who was the second to comment from the Three Musketeers? Who
also said EOD? Enuf said.

Yes, Alan specifically responded to *me.* I was not the person who
brought it up, he did. I believe I said that I didn't believe anyone
could run him off if he didn't want to go. You're like a little yapping
dog nipping at peoples heels while trying to stir stuff up that's long
dead...so bite me Jan.

Cheri

Please don't Jan not without getting all the required shots, I would
hate to see you catch something nasty :-)

I guess we are using 2 different dictionaries the one I use criticise
and attacked are the right words to describe what happened.

YMMV

(- -)
=m=(_)=m=
RodS T2
Australia
Old 27-08-2011, 04:19 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" wrote in message

I am only just starting to eat real food again. It is great! I get
"full" on just a couple of tablespoons of anything.

Evelyn

Are you still interested in cooking for others?

Cheri

Old 27-08-2011, 08:19 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sat, 27 Aug 2011 08:19:23 -0700, "Cheri"
wrote:

"Evelyn" wrote in message
.. .

I am only just starting to eat real food again. It is great! I get
"full" on just a couple of tablespoons of anything.

Evelyn

Are you still interested in cooking for others?

Cheri

Hi Cheri,

Yes, in fact it is easier, since I don't eat much now, I can focus on
getting the meal together for others. Just now I am only feeding
hubby, so it is even easier.

Yesterday I got a very good deal when I shopped for my cottage cheese
and yogurt and such. I noticed that a local market had huge bags of
chicken legs (grade a) for sale very cheap. For about $3.40 I got 8
very fresh chicken legs with thighs. (Wendy will know about ADAMS
market).

I went home and made an awesome chicken-vegetable soup. I made 8
quarts of really delicious soup out of it. It helped me get rid of a
lot of soup veggies that were laying around a while. Still good, but
not for much longer if I didn't use them up.

At the store, I noticed there was also for sale, some chicken feet. I
have heard that they are good in soup, so I bought one package and
tossed them in with the chicken legs when I made the soup. It was
wonderful!!! It jelled up when cold very nicely. Very rich.

I also put in that soup, two cans of diced tomatoes, 1 cup marsala
wine, salt, pepper, dried thyme, red pepper flakes, a bunch of fresh
basil my neighbor gave me, a sprinkle of dried oregano. Chopped
onion, celery (with the tops), carrots, one parsnip, a couple of
smallish potatoes.

First I cooked the legs and feet in the water along with the wine,
herbs and canned tomatoes. When they were cooking, I chopped all
the vegetables, and added them as I went along. Because I need
everything chopped very small, I used my food processor to chop the
vegetables, by pulsing it. Ordinarily I would use about a half inch
or less, dice.

When the legs seemed to be separating from the bone a bit, I removed
them to a platter, let them cool down, and removed the meat from the
bones and chopped it in nice bite size pieces, to add back to the pot.
(Tossed away all the skin and bones).

I removed the chicken feet and put them aside also, but there didn't
seem to be much I could do with them, so I tossed them too. But it
did make an incredibly rich broth. I can see why people use them for
broth!

I added some cooked barley and a can of kidney beans to the pot and
let it all cool down till I could put it away in the freezer. Good
lunches for the future!

Today we had some for lunch and it was absolutely AWESOME. Because
it is mostly liquid I was able to eat about 1 cup of it. I have to
chew the meat and barley and veggie bits very thoroughly. But it was
really good!!!

I make incredibly delicious soups, if I do say so myself.

We share a quart of soup every day at lunch, sometimes also splitting
a sandwich or a buttered roll. I can't eat that now, so hubby ate a
whole roll himself with it.

Evelyn

Old 27-08-2011, 09:03 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

I love good sales..especially these days.

my local store had a 98 cent a pound pork pack sale which had a roast and
chops and country ribs..so got a huge pack yesterday and grilled it all on
the grill and now will have yummy food all week...in salads and with lo carb
bbq sauce and even pulled and used in a omelet..yum!

oh and I even make pseudo Asian pork wraps using Asian sauce and
lettuce..soooo good!

KROM

"Evelyn" wrote in message

On Sat, 27 Aug 2011 08:19:23 -0700, "Cheri"
wrote:

.. .

Old 27-08-2011, 09:23 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

there are several recipes for chicken feet, and if cooked enough make
wonderful pet snacks, you will have to google for them, and i know it has
been discussed on rfc but its not something that ever attracted me, Lee
"Evelyn" wrote in message
On Sat, 27 Aug 2011 08:19:23 -0700, "Cheri"
wrote:

. ..