Old 24-08-2011, 11:57 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Hi everybody

On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 12:39:32 +1000, Alan S
wrote:

On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 06:52:00 -0400, Evelyn
wrote:

Just to let my friends on this newsgroup know that I had gastric
surgery a couple of weeks ago. I have already lost almost 30 lbs
from my highest weight. I lost twelve lbs before going into the
hospital and the rest since the surgery. The surgery my doctor chose
was the gastric sleeve, which is less invasive than the bypass.

The good news is that I have great energy, and am not using ANY
diabetes meds or insulin at this time. My numbers are great, but
then I am not eating hardly anything at all. Last night I had my
first soft boiled egg. Till now it has only been protein shakes for
all my meals.

I am glad I did it.

Evelyn

Hello Evelyn

I rarely post on usenet these days, but I cannot let your post pass
unnoticed.

Wishing you the very best for rapid healing. I hope the surgery
achieves your aims and wish you the very best of good health for the
future.

Lovely to see you again.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d & e; metformin 2000mg

Alan, thank you so much for the good wishes. Your posts were always
among my favorites! How are you doing these days?

Evelyn

Old 24-08-2011, 12:24 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" wrote in message
On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 12:50:25 +1000, "Ozgirl"
wrote:

"Evelyn" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 09:22:12 +1000, "Ozgirl"
wrote:

Thanks, Ozgirl.

Are you taking pics of your "journey"?

I did take a "before" pic. As of this morning I am down 30 lbs from
my highest weight. 12 lbs I lost on their diet, which was the
easiest diet I ever went on, before surgery. The rest I lost in the
two and a half weeks since.

Evelyn

What was their diet?

Old 24-08-2011, 02:58 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 06:56:47 -0400, Evelyn
wrote:

On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 20:38:49 +1000, "Ozgirl"
wrote:

"BlueBrooke" wrote in message
. ..
On Tue, 23 Aug 2011 10:51:38 -0400, "Janet"
wrote:

BlueBrooke wrote:
snip

Actually, there has been discussion in ASD about such surgery
"curing"
T2, and there have been some interesting results.

If memory serves, doesn't that have something to do with literally
reconstructing the colon so that food reaches a different part of it
first?

Hum -- it could have been that type of surgery. I thought it was the
gastric-bypass type of procedure they were talking about, but I could
be wrong on that. I'm sure one of our science nerds will know. :-)

I do remember the discussion but can't find it as yet. But I did find
this:

http://www.ccjm.org/content/77/7/468.full

"Further, why would bariatric surgery help with diabetes, and why would
one procedure do it better than another? To be honest, we are not sure,
but evidence points not only to weight loss but also to better insulin
sensitivity and to alterations in levels of hormones secreted by the gut
that increase insulin secretion."

There are references to studies on that page too.

That is with the bypass surgery. I did not have the bypass so I will
still need to watch my bg levels.

Evelyn

I would be surprised if any T2 post-procedure, bariatric or otherwise,
wouldn't need to watch their BG levels. They're saying they're seeing
these benefits, but don't know why, yet.
Old 24-08-2011, 04:30 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 21:24:34 +1000, "Ozgirl"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

Thanks, Ozgirl.

Are you taking pics of your "journey"?

I did take a "before" pic. As of this morning I am down 30 lbs from
my highest weight. 12 lbs I lost on their diet, which was the
easiest diet I ever went on, before surgery. The rest I lost in the
two and a half weeks since.

Evelyn

What was their diet?

I do have it written down .... let me see if I can find it. Aha...
here it is. This diet REALLY WORKS. I was not hungry and it is the
tricks in it that make it work. I had a hard time finishing my meals
in fact.

Diet

-- 6 oz. protein in each meal (weight after cooking) - A MUST
(can be eggs, meat, tofu,fish)
-- vegetables are almost unlimited
-- cup only of carbs or 1 slice bread at each meal

-- You cannot drink anything during meals (it makes you eat less and
shrinks your stomach) This is for life.
-- You can drink water 1/2 hour before and 1/2 hour afterwards.
-- You must drink 64 ounces of water daily.
-- Pace it around your meals.
-- There is a specific list of supplements you must take daily.
-- No alcohol..... AT ALL It makes you bloat and your liver swells.
-- Only two cups of caffeinated beverage daily, and they are separate
from the 64 oz. of water. (they have a diuretic effect)

-- Take only 1 teaspoon size bites or even less, while eating.
-- Eat as slowly as possible.
-- Chew each bite as long and thoroughly as possible and swallow it
all before taking another bite.
-- You must eat all the protein on your plate before anything else.
-- Only 3, one half cup servings of any carb product per day.
-- Lots of vegetables.... almost unlimited with these three exceptions
which count as a carb serving; Peas, Corn or Lima beans.
-- No more than three tablespoons of fat per day.
-- Four small servings of fruit daily. ( for example; half an apple,
half a peach, half a banana, cup of blueberries or
strawberries)
-- One meal per day must be a protein shake. You can add some fruit
to it or mix your liquid calcium into it or even some tofu.
-- you can have a salad with your shake if you wish.

**************
-- Shakes can be made with Almond or Soy milk or Skim milk.
--Take a Biotin supplement to hopefully prevent hair loss due to
malnutrition after the surgery, but start now.
-- I get GNC hair skin and nails supplement.
-- I will also need to make sure I get 100% of my zinc requirement.

Veggies can be fresh or frozen, not canned.
Fruits can be fresh or frozen, canned must be water pack only.

No sugars including sugar alcohols. - Splenda is OK.

Old 24-08-2011, 10:35 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Evelyn, that is very similar to the original Weight Watchers diet on
which I lost 90 pounds. That had only two slices of bread a day though
and 3 pieces of fruit. Also 600ml of skimmed milk per day. Are you
saying its actually two meals a day plus a protein shake meal?

"Evelyn" wrote in message
On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 21:24:34 +1000, "Ozgirl"
wrote:

. ..

Old 24-08-2011, 11:09 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 07:35:24 +1000, "Ozgirl"
wrote:

Evelyn, that is very similar to the original Weight Watchers diet on
which I lost 90 pounds. That had only two slices of bread a day though
and 3 pieces of fruit. Also 600ml of skimmed milk per day. Are you
saying its actually two meals a day plus a protein shake meal?

Yes. And I lost 60 lbs years ago on that same original weight
watchers diet, and I love the similarity.

The shake is made with 1% milk so you are getting your protein in
powder form, and fat in that. You can also have a salad with it if
you want.

I lost some weight with that easily before the surgery and I could've
continued because it was so easy to follow.

But don't underestimate the tricks, like no water with a meal and
chewing every bite till it is GONE, before taking another bite. It
delays the amount of food you eat, and allows you to feel satisfied
sooner with less food.

Evelyn

.. .

Old 24-08-2011, 11:43 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

what time of protien powder did you use Lee
wrote:

[...]

"Evelyn" wrote in message
. ..
On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 21:24:34 +1000, "Ozgirl"
wrote:

"Evelyn" wrote in message
m...
On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 12:50:25 +1000, "Ozgirl"
wrote:

news[email protected] com...

Old 25-08-2011, 03:10 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 17:43:15 -0500, "Storrmmee"
wrote:

what time of protien powder did you use Lee

Bariatric Advantage. It's the best and really satisfies the appetite.
I tried a few, but that is the best one.

Evelyn

.. .

"Evelyn" wrote in message
On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 21:24:34 +1000, "Ozgirl"
wrote:

"Evelyn" wrote in message
om...
On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 12:50:25 +1000, "Ozgirl"
wrote:

news[email protected] .com...

Old 25-08-2011, 03:13 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

is it over the counter or does it need a script? Lee
news
wrote:

what time of protien powder did you use Lee

Bariatric Advantage. It's the best and really satisfies the appetite.
I tried a few, but that is the best one.

Evelyn

. ..
wrote:

[...]

"Evelyn" wrote in message
m...
On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 21:24:34 +1000, "Ozgirl"
wrote:

"Evelyn" wrote in message
news:[email protected] com...
On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 12:50:25 +1000, "Ozgirl"
wrote:

news[email protected] x.com...

Old 25-08-2011, 05:21 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

news
wrote:

what time of protien powder did you use Lee

Bariatric Advantage. It's the best and really satisfies the appetite.
I tried a few, but that is the best one.

Evelyn

. ..
wrote:

[...]

"Evelyn" wrote in message
m...
On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 21:24:34 +1000, "Ozgirl"
wrote:

"Evelyn" wrote in message
news:[email protected] com...
On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 12:50:25 +1000, "Ozgirl"
wrote:

news[email protected] x.com...
wrote:

[...]

Wow. I wouldn't make it a week on that diet! Once in a while I can eat
that much protein but normally it makes me feel unwell to eat that much. I
have never been able to get any kind of shake down and keep it down. If I
try to swallow it, it comes right back up. 4 pieces of fruit would be
difficult for me to eat too. I probably eat that much in 6 months or a
year. And the veggies would be too hard for me to digest.

Old 25-08-2011, 05:35 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 21:13:49 -0500, "Storrmmee"
wrote:

is it over the counter or does it need a script?

Online at Amazon. No scrip
Old 25-08-2011, 05:53 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

interesting, protien powder is something i have never looked into, i only
started just looking at it in relation to using it as a binder for
sausage/meatloaf, Lee

Old 25-08-2011, 07:45 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 11:53:34 -0500, "Storrmmee"
wrote:

interesting, protien powder is something i have never looked into, i only
started just looking at it in relation to using it as a binder for
sausage/meatloaf, Lee

It is protein from whey. They do have an unflavored, but it is
mostly sold as vanilla and chocolate flavored.

.. .

Old 26-08-2011, 05:23 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alan S" wrote in message

Some may recall Patti from a.s.d.uk; she started that forum. I
recommend it to UK people or any other mmolers. I was a bit sad to get
chased out of a.s.d, but that's life I suppose. Actually, I was very
sad.

You were chased out? That really doesn't fit your posting history through
the years Alan. I can't imagine anyone chasing you out of anyplace that you
*wanted* to be. Good to hear that it goes well with you though.

Cheri