Old 07-09-2011, 01:17 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Sticker shock at the store again!

"Robert Miles" wrote in message
.com...
On 8/22/2011 2:48 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
"Tiger wrote in message
On 8/19/2011 10:03 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
wrote in message

"Julie wrote in message

Angela also had three kiwis. Need to look up the carb count for
those. I haven't a clue because I never liked them. She asked for
them
before we knew of the low carb diet and they were going to go bad if
they
didn't get eaten.

When I used to have IR kiwis, just one even, caused a catastrophic bg
rise
for me. I was always fine with a small apple at snack time, or a
mandarin,
the berries of course and rockmelon and watermelon.

Well I guess no more kiwis then. I do *not* like messing with fruit.
It's
sticky and icky. I tell her if she wants sliced apples to buy them
sliced.
If she wants watermelon I'll either cut it in half and she can eat it
like
that (I mean the personal sized ones) or buy it cut in chunks. She
couldn't
figure out how to peel the kiwi. And I really didn't want to do it.
But
did to get them out of the house.

cut kiwi in 1/2

use spoon to scoop out the meat and leave the rind

done!!

kidlet was 3.5 yrs old when he had that one solved

Given the carb count I will try to talk her out of them. Now she wants
pears. They didn't have any pears at Target. And normally we would have
tons of pears in the backyard but my husband had the gardener cut back
the
trees so nothing produced this year. Maybe next. Maybe. They were
really
good pears.

I remember something about growing your own pears: They tend
to be best about two days before they fall off the tree. They
tend to develop a gritty texture if you wait until they fall
off the tree.

In the future, you may want to ask your husband not to have
all the trees cut back at once.

Yes. The year that we had the bumper crop, we gave tons of them away. And
do you know what people told us? We had to throw them away. They weren't
ripe! Gah! And I told them all when I gave them out that they needed to
let them sit for a couple of days and then they would be ripe.

Old 07-09-2011, 01:18 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Robert Miles" wrote in message
.com...
In , "Julie

wrote:

"Malcom "Mal" wrote in message
In , "Julie Bove"
wrote:

Oh she can but then we have to wash the slicer and I don't like to do
that. It gets all sticky. And then there are the cores and seeds that
have to be put in the green bin. Of course with a whole apple this is
problem too. But no stickiness to get all over things. I would much
rather buy them sliced. They are very cheap at Costco and Winco.

Yet another moan on how terrible life is. I wonder if you use dishes
and
tableware, after all they get dirty, sticky and otherwise messy.

We don't tend to eat sticky foods for dinner.

How is an apple that you slice less sticky than an apple that was
pre-sliced?

Maybe you do. But we don't.
And yes, I do have a dishwasher and *gasp* I have even had the plumbing
fixed
so I can use it again! I just freaking don't like cutting up apples and
no
one in my house likes to either. If you've got a problem with that I
guess
that is pretty damned pathetic.

Is it no wonder that you have financial problems when your willing to
pay

From: "Malcom \"Mal\"
Newsgroups: alt.food.diabetic
Subject: Sticker shock at the store again!
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 21:12:59 -0700

In , "Julie

wrote:

"Malcom "Mal" wrote in message
In , "Julie Bove"
wrote:

[...]

over three times the price for a food that has additional preservation
techniques. Makes me wonder if you've ever considered the effect they
are
having on DD

Liar! I don't happen to have a bag of the apples from Winco now but I
believe the cost was $3.33 for sliced apples. It's a huge as in
industrial
sized bag. Lasts us a good two weeks usually. You can buy about three
whole
apples here for that price. I guarantee you that not only are there
more
than three apples in that bag there are probably at least 12 apples in
that
bag. Not expensive at all.

At costco, the pre-sliced apples are 6 8oz packages for about 7.95 which
works
out to about 2.65 per pound which is at least 2.5 times the cost of whole
apples. If you are getting bags that contain the equivalent of 12 apples,
which
is highly doubtful, that's about 50cents per pound which is highly
doubtful

Have you bothered to check if she's from an apple-growing area where
the farmers cut up their rejects so they can at least get some money
from them?

I'm in WA state. We are known for our apples here.

Old 07-09-2011, 02:47 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article ,
Robert Miles wrote:

At costco, the pre-sliced apples are 6 8oz packages for about 7.95 which
works
out to about 2.65 per pound which is at least 2.5 times the cost of whole
apples. If you are getting bags that contain the equivalent of 12 apples,
which
is highly doubtful, that's about 50cents per pound which is highly doubtful

Have you bothered to check if she's from an apple-growing area where
the farmers cut up their rejects so they can at least get some money
from them?

Maybe you can explain how cutting up rejects is going to improve sales? In any
event wouldn't it have a higher profit margin to NOT cut them up and sell them
for less?

Sticker Shock Mark Thorson General Cooking 15 20-09-2012 12:00 AM
Sticker shock Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 6 04-09-2012 06:11 PM
Sticker shock Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 15 27-04-2012 04:29 PM
More Sticker Shock No Name General Cooking 36 02-06-2009 04:18 PM