Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Sticker shock at the store again!

Lee, a number of years ago I was on a camp with the kids and we couldn't
start breakfast every morning before the cow was milked. I have had milk
fresh from the cow as a young kid on an uncle's farm but don't remember
it. This time I do. Even though it was warm whereas I like ice cold milk
I fell in love with it Had it on porridge everyone morning for the
week we were there. It didn't resemble supermarket milk in any way other
than it was liquid We used to have our own chooks, ducks and geese,
amongst other animals, in our suburban yard when I was growing up I
always remember my grandfather saying who wants an egg fresh from the
chook's bum! We would fight over the eggs not caring about the poo on
the outside.

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> i don't think unless tit is hidiously hot its a safety issue, i was
> speaking of flavor degradation, i come from a family that has raised
> eggs on and off, when laid the first egg in a clutch is out for a long
> time,... there is a lot more scarey stuff about eggs than is real to
> my experience... but i advise people to do what is best for their
> family... Lee
> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>>

>> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>>> i am not an expert nor am i giving advice, i am only relating my
>>> family habits... raw eggs for example are generally kept at a
>>> coolish room temp if fresh and do fine, once frigged though should
>>> be kept that way for taste purposes, Lee

>> One of my daughters always leaves her raw eggs out of the fridge, in
>> all kinds of weather.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> i am not an expert nor am i giving advice, i am only relating my
>> family habits... raw eggs for example are generally kept at a
>> coolish room temp if fresh and do fine, once frigged though should
>> be kept that way for taste purposes, Lee

> Nope. Raw eggs need to be kept refrigerated too.

Not if they haven't been washed. That breaks down the natural sealant of the
shell.

But of course, commercial eggs have all been washed.

You know, I really do think that the food police overdo it on refrigerating.
Of course, I was stunned to read about the degree of washing--with soap, and
even bleach!--that some posters subject their vegetables to.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

raw milk is the gods food, my sister now has two minature cows, smaller eat
less and still more than enough milk/cream for her family and my parents,
nothing like real fresh food to bring home just what a processed world we
live in, Lee
"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Lee, a number of years ago I was on a camp with the kids and we couldn't
> start breakfast every morning before the cow was milked. I have had milk
> fresh from the cow as a young kid on an uncle's farm but don't remember
> it. This time I do. Even though it was warm whereas I like ice cold milk I
> fell in love with it Had it on porridge everyone morning for the week
> we were there. It didn't resemble supermarket milk in any way other than
> it was liquid We used to have our own chooks, ducks and geese, amongst
> other animals, in our suburban yard when I was growing up I always
> remember my grandfather saying who wants an egg fresh from the chook's
> bum! We would fight over the eggs not caring about the poo on the outside.
>
> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> i don't think unless tit is hidiously hot its a safety issue, i was
>> speaking of flavor degradation, i come from a family that has raised eggs
>> on and off, when laid the first egg in a clutch is out for a long
>> time,... there is a lot more scarey stuff about eggs than is real to my
>> experience... but i advise people to do what is best for their family...
>> Lee

>>> One of my daughters always leaves her raw eggs out of the fridge, in all
>>> kinds of weather.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

after studying eggs very carefully we finally came to the conclusion that
whatever they are washed with, and seeps into the eggs, is what make both my
dh and my mother sick if they eat store eggs more than once a week, it took
a while, but through experimenting, this is theonly answer, nothing else
makes sense, Lee
"Janet" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>>> i am not an expert nor am i giving advice, i am only relating my
>>> family habits... raw eggs for example are generally kept at a
>>> coolish room temp if fresh and do fine, once frigged though should
>>> be kept that way for taste purposes, Lee

>> Nope. Raw eggs need to be kept refrigerated too.

> Not if they haven't been washed. That breaks down the natural sealant of
> the shell.
>
> But of course, commercial eggs have all been washed.
>
> You know, I really do think that the food police overdo it on
> refrigerating. Of course, I was stunned to read about the degree of
> washing--with soap, and even bleach!--that some posters subject their
> vegetables to.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 8/22/2011 1:33 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> <snip>

>>> I think soft-boiled eggs are indeed rather old-fashioned. Why, I don't
>>> know. Perhaps fear of salmonella? I can't recall the last time I saw an
>>> egg cup myself.
>>>
>>> A good--to my taste, anyway--soft-boiled egg is not undercooked. The
>>> whites are cooked through, and the yolk still runny, just like an egg
>>> fried over easy. The idea of runny whites makes me gag, too.<G>

>> My dad did say he saw people eat them when he was a kid.
>>

> i've heard of folks eating RAW EGGS
>
> poke a hole in the ends of the egg........ blow the egg thru the hole into
> a glass and drink
>
> GACK!
>
> kate

OK, so here's my question. Why would you go to all that trouble of blowing
it out, instead of just breaking it into the glass? My uncle used to drink a
raw egg in tomato juice when he was in a hurry some mornings.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> sorry if you haven't ever raised chickens you can't undersand this, but
> once frigged there is a serious degradation of flavor and yolk color, do
> what suits you, Lee

My grandma raised chickens and my friend did too. They kept their eggs in
the fridge. And everything I've read about food safety says to refrigerate
them.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Cheri wrote:

>>> My dad did say he saw people eat them when he was a kid.
>>>

>> i've heard of folks eating RAW EGGS
>>
>> poke a hole in the ends of the egg........ blow the egg thru the
>> hole into a glass and drink
>>
>> GACK!
>>
>> kate

> OK, so here's my question. Why would you go to all that trouble of
> blowing it out, instead of just breaking it into the glass? My uncle
> used to drink a raw egg in tomato juice when he was in a hurry some
> mornings.
>
> Cheri

Only if you want to use the whole eggshell for some kind of decoration, in
my experience.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet" > wrote in message
> Cheri wrote:

>>> i've heard of folks eating RAW EGGS
>>>
>>> poke a hole in the ends of the egg........ blow the egg thru the
>>> hole into a glass and drink
>>>
>>> GACK!
>>>
>>> kate

>> OK, so here's my question. Why would you go to all that trouble of
>> blowing it out, instead of just breaking it into the glass? My uncle
>> used to drink a raw egg in tomato juice when he was in a hurry some
>> mornings.
>>
>> Cheri

> Only if you want to use the whole eggshell for some kind of decoration, in
> my experience.

Yes, mine too.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

well they weren't in the real country, once frigged may as well buy them for
the taste, only advantage becomes less chemicals Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> sorry if you haven't ever raised chickens you can't undersand this, but
>> once frigged there is a serious degradation of flavor and yolk color, do
>> what suits you, Lee

> My grandma raised chickens and my friend did too. They kept their eggs in
> the fridge. And everything I've read about food safety says to
> refrigerate them.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 24/08/2011 6:09 a.m., Julie Bove wrote:
> > wrote in message
>> sorry if you haven't ever raised chickens you can't undersand this, but
>> once frigged there is a serious degradation of flavor and yolk color, do
>> what suits you, Lee

> My grandma raised chickens and my friend did too. They kept their eggs in
> the fridge. And everything I've read about food safety says to refrigerate
> them.

When you buy your eggs at the store what shelf are they on ??

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Tiger Lily > wrote:
: On 8/22/2011 1:33 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
: >> A good--to my taste, anyway--soft-boiled egg is not undercooked. The
: >> whites are cooked through, and the yolk still runny, just like an egg
: >> fried over easy. The idea of runny whites makes me gag, too.<G>
: >
: > My dad did say he saw people eat them when he was a kid.
: >
: >
: i've heard of folks eating RAW EGGS

: poke a hole in the ends of the egg........ blow the egg thru the hole
: into a glass and drink

: GACK!

: kate

My husband used o like them ha way, but I thought it beter fo rhave them
at lest soft boile. That is why with my processional system of serving
boiled eggs, he alwasy got the first 2 eggs. He didn't care if the white
was practically raw!!

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Cheri > wrote:
: "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
: ...
: > On 8/22/2011 1:33 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
: >> > wrote in message
: >> ...
: >>> Julie Bove wrote:
: >>>
: >>> <snip>
: >>>
: >>>> I have never seen a soft boiled egg. I can't imagine a soft boiled
: >>>> egg. Undercooked eggs just make me want to gag.
: >>>
: >>> I think soft-boiled eggs are indeed rather old-fashioned. Why, I don't
: >>> know. Perhaps fear of salmonella? I can't recall the last time I saw an
: >>> egg cup myself.
: >>>
: >>> A good--to my taste, anyway--soft-boiled egg is not undercooked. The
: >>> whites are cooked through, and the yolk still runny, just like an egg
: >>> fried over easy. The idea of runny whites makes me gag, too.<G>
: >>
: >> My dad did say he saw people eat them when he was a kid.
: >>
: >>
: > i've heard of folks eating RAW EGGS
: >
: > poke a hole in the ends of the egg........ blow the egg thru the hole into
: > a glass and drink
: >
: > GACK!
: >
: > kate

: OK, so here's my question. Why would you go to all that trouble of blowing
: it out, instead of just breaking it into the glass? My uncle used to drink a
: raw egg in tomato juice when he was in a hurry some mornings.

: Cheri

If you suck he egg no dish o wash and really fast for breakfast if running
lae:-)

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ozgirl > wrote:

: "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
: ...
: > On 8/22/2011 1:48 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
: >> "Tiger > wrote in message
: >> ...
: >>> On 8/19/2011 10:03 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
: >>>> > wrote in message
: >>>> ...
: >>>>>
: >>>>>
: >>>>> "Julie > wrote in message
: >>>>> ...
: >>>>>
: >>>>> Angela also had three kiwis. Need to look up the carb count for
: >>>>>> those. I haven't a clue because I never liked them. She asked
: >>>>>> for
: >>>>>> them
: >>>>>> before we knew of the low carb diet and they were going to go bad
: >>>>>> if
: >>>>>> they
: >>>>>> didn't get eaten.
: >>>>>
: >>>>> When I used to have IR kiwis, just one even, caused a catastrophic
: >>>>> bg
: >>>>> rise
: >>>>> for me. I was always fine with a small apple at snack time, or a
: >>>>> mandarin,
: >>>>> the berries of course and rockmelon and watermelon.
: >>>>
: >>>> Well I guess no more kiwis then. I do *not* like messing with
: >>>> fruit.
: >>>> It's
: >>>> sticky and icky. I tell her if she wants sliced apples to buy them
: >>>> sliced.
: >>>> If she wants watermelon I'll either cut it in half and she can eat
: >>>> it
: >>>> like
: >>>> that (I mean the personal sized ones) or buy it cut in chunks. She
: >>>> couldn't
: >>>> figure out how to peel the kiwi. And I really didn't want to do
: >>>> it. But
: >>>> I
: >>>> did to get them out of the house.
: >>>>
: >>>>
: >>> cut kiwi in 1/2
: >>>
: >>> use spoon to scoop out the meat and leave the rind
: >>>
: >>> done!!
: >>>
: >>> kidlet was 3.5 yrs old when he had that one solved
: >>>
: >>>
: >>>
: >> Given the carb count I will try to talk her out of them. Now she
: >> wants
: >> pears. They didn't have any pears at Target. And normally we would
: >> have
: >> tons of pears in the backyard but my husband had the gardener cut
: >> back the
: >> trees so nothing produced this year. Maybe next. Maybe. They were
: >> really
: >> good pears.
: >>
: >>
: > you think pears are lower carb?
: >
: > ok

: Pears have always been kind to me. I think its a YMMV thing because I
: have always tolerated a bowl of watermelon whereas they spike some
: people very high.

Not for me. Often I eat only a quarter of oe.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message

>>> My dad did say he saw people eat them when he was a kid.
>>>

>> i've heard of folks eating RAW EGGS
>>
>> poke a hole in the ends of the egg........ blow the egg thru the hole
>> into a glass and drink
>>
>> GACK!
>>
>> kate

> OK, so here's my question. Why would you go to all that trouble of
> blowing it out, instead of just breaking it into the glass? My uncle
> used to drink a raw egg in tomato juice when he was in a hurry some
> mornings.

Blowing liquefies it, that's all I can think of.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 23/08/2011 6:45 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> > wrote in message
>> i am not an expert nor am i giving advice, i am only relating my family
>> habits... raw eggs for example are generally kept at a coolish room temp if
>> fresh and do fine, once frigged though should be kept that way for taste
>> purposes, Lee

> Nope. Raw eggs need to be kept refrigerated too.

Wonder what they did for thousands of years before someone invented the
fridge, I expect they kept them in a cool place waiting for someone to
invent electricity and refrigerators.
:-)

(- -)
=m=(_)=m=
RodS T2
Australia

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 23/08/2011 7:24 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>>> you better start buying jars and canning supplies now, pear
>>>
>>> you better start buying canning supplies now, pears and apples trees
>>> are famous for over producing the year after a good shearing,
>>> Lee"Julie Bove"

>> Really? Interesting. I have plenty of jars and rings. I think I got
>> rid of the tops because those can go bad when they are old. The only
>> problem is, nobody much wants to eat what I've canned. My parents are
>> afraid to eat home canned foods. They think they will get botulism. I
>> don't think my brother and his family eat apples or pears. Angela
>> loves them but only wants to eat the stuff from the store with the
>> pretty pictures on them. I just tossed out the last of the pears and a
>> couple of jars of papplesauce. That year we didn't get many apples but
>> tons of pears.

> I had a funny experience today. I live in a major city, in the 'burbs. I
> had a knock on the door this arvo and opened it to find a man leaning up
> the stairs holding onto the rail and head down. In what I call a getting
> rid of a fur ball position, lol. He was dressed in khaki shorts,
> flannelette, chequered shirt, work boots and a hat you would call a
> stetson. He looked at me and didn't speak at first so I said "yes?". To
> that he started to "drawl" like some country people here tend to do.
>
> He had a whole apple in his hand and a half eaten one and eventually
> said, very slowly, that he was from Stanthorpe and up here for the day
> in his truck trying to sell his wonderful apples.
>
> I don't keep cash and I have plenty of apples anyway and had to decline
> but it was a weird experience. I know the floods and cyclone have done a
> big number on crops up here in QLD and I admired his initiative.
> Wondering if he got to sell anyway. When I declined he just said "ok,
> well I'll see ya next year then". lol

--------------

You'll sometimes see them with a truckload of oranges parked on the side
of the road during orange season bought them years ago great fruit just
not up to the supermarkets strict standard slight blemish or slightly
under size good price too as I remember.

(- -)
=m=(_)=m=
RodS T2
Australia
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"RodS" > wrote in message
> On 23/08/2011 7:24 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

>>> Really? Interesting. I have plenty of jars and rings. I think I got
>>> rid of the tops because those can go bad when they are old. The only
>>> problem is, nobody much wants to eat what I've canned. My parents
>>> are
>>> afraid to eat home canned foods. They think they will get botulism.
>>> don't think my brother and his family eat apples or pears. Angela
>>> loves them but only wants to eat the stuff from the store with the
>>> pretty pictures on them. I just tossed out the last of the pears and
>>> couple of jars of papplesauce. That year we didn't get many apples
>>> but
>>> tons of pears.

>> I had a funny experience today. I live in a major city, in the
>> 'burbs. I
>> had a knock on the door this arvo and opened it to find a man leaning
>> up
>> the stairs holding onto the rail and head down. In what I call a
>> getting
>> rid of a fur ball position, lol. He was dressed in khaki shorts,
>> flannelette, chequered shirt, work boots and a hat you would call a
>> stetson. He looked at me and didn't speak at first so I said "yes?".
>> that he started to "drawl" like some country people here tend to do.
>>
>> He had a whole apple in his hand and a half eaten one and eventually
>> said, very slowly, that he was from Stanthorpe and up here for the
>> day
>> in his truck trying to sell his wonderful apples.
>>
>> I don't keep cash and I have plenty of apples anyway and had to
>> decline
>> but it was a weird experience. I know the floods and cyclone have
>> done a
>> big number on crops up here in QLD and I admired his initiative.
>> Wondering if he got to sell anyway. When I declined he just said "ok,
>> well I'll see ya next year then". lol

> --------------
>
> You'll sometimes see them with a truckload of oranges parked on the
> side of the road during orange season bought them years ago great
> fruit just not up to the supermarkets strict standard slight blemish
> or slightly under size good price too as I remember.

Yeah, but Stanthorpe is a long way to come to sell (hopefully) a few
apples

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"RodS" > wrote in message ...
> On 23/08/2011 6:45 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>>> i am not an expert nor am i giving advice, i am only relating my family
>>> habits... raw eggs for example are generally kept at a coolish room temp
>>> if
>>> fresh and do fine, once frigged though should be kept that way for taste
>>> purposes, Lee

>> Nope. Raw eggs need to be kept refrigerated too.
>>

> Wonder what they did for thousands of years before someone invented the
> fridge, I expect they kept them in a cool place waiting for someone to
> invent electricity and refrigerators.
> :-)

Depending on the time of year, they used the cellar, the well, or even just
a spot dug deep in the ground. The American Indians buried their meat like
that.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:

: "RodS" > wrote in message ...
: > On 23/08/2011 6:45 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
: >> > wrote in message
: >> ...
: >>> i am not an expert nor am i giving advice, i am only relating my family
: >>> habits... raw eggs for example are generally kept at a coolish room temp
: >>> if
: >>> fresh and do fine, once frigged though should be kept that way for taste
: >>> purposes, Lee
: >>
: >> Nope. Raw eggs need to be kept refrigerated too.
: >>
: >>
: > Wonder what they did for thousands of years before someone invented the
: > fridge, I expect they kept them in a cool place waiting for someone to
: > invent electricity and refrigerators.
: > :-)

: Depending on the time of year, they used the cellar, the well, or even just
: a spot dug deep in the ground. The American Indians buried their meat like
: that.

And he Mongols rode across th steppes with thier meat under thier saddles.
kind of warm there.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 8/23/2011 12:07 PM, Cheri wrote:

>>> My dad did say he saw people eat them when he was a kid.
>>>

>> i've heard of folks eating RAW EGGS
>>
>> poke a hole in the ends of the egg........ blow the egg thru the hole
>> into a glass and drink
>>
>> GACK!
>>
>> kate

> OK, so here's my question. Why would you go to all that trouble of
> blowing it out, instead of just breaking it into the glass? My uncle
> used to drink a raw egg in tomato juice when he was in a hurry some
> mornings.
>

> Cheri

well........... i was grossed out, i never asked!

lol

kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 8/23/2011 12:21 PM, Janet wrote:
> Cheri wrote:

>>> i've heard of folks eating RAW EGGS
>>>
>>> poke a hole in the ends of the egg........ blow the egg thru the
>>> hole into a glass and drink
>>>
>>> GACK!
>>>
>>> kate

>> OK, so here's my question. Why would you go to all that trouble of
>> blowing it out, instead of just breaking it into the glass? My uncle
>> used to drink a raw egg in tomato juice when he was in a hurry some
>> mornings.
>>
>> Cheri

> Only if you want to use the whole eggshell for some kind of decoration, in
> my experience.

oh right.............. i forgot that part!

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 23 Aug 2011 05:18:46 -0500, "KROM" > wrote:

>wife likes eggs and meats burnt to a crisp...I like mine still mooing and
>cluckin...lol
>
>she will take fried chicken and nuke it until the meat crunches ..lol..so
>gross!
>

>KROM

My Sweetie loves to order a steak: "Go out to the field, get a cow,
blow it's nose, wipe it's butt, run it through the kitchen and bring
it on out here to me." Yeah, sometimes I try to act like he just
followed me in there, hoping for a free meal. :-D
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 8/24/2011 4:27 AM, BlueBrooke wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Aug 2011 05:18:46 -0500, > wrote:
>
>> wife likes eggs and meats burnt to a crisp...I like mine still mooing and
>> cluckin...lol
>>
>> she will take fried chicken and nuke it until the meat crunches ..lol..so
>> gross!
>>

>> KROM

> My Sweetie loves to order a steak: "Go out to the field, get a cow,
> blow it's nose, wipe it's butt, run it through the kitchen and bring
> it on out here to me." Yeah, sometimes I try to act like he just
> followed me in there, hoping for a free meal. :-D

morning chuckle
thanks

Mom was able to get Dad to order his steak thusly:

Light a match, run it under the steak and it's done. Whenever he
ordered blue rare, they would question what he meant. Mom resigned
herself to the fact that this description was better than some of his
other choices.

giggle!

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 8/22/2011 2:48 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> Well I guess no more kiwis then. I do *not* like messing with fruit.
>>> It's
>>> sticky and icky. I tell her if she wants sliced apples to buy them
>>> sliced.
>>> If she wants watermelon I'll either cut it in half and she can eat it
>>> like
>>> that (I mean the personal sized ones) or buy it cut in chunks. She
>>> couldn't
>>> figure out how to peel the kiwi. And I really didn't want to do it. But
>>> did to get them out of the house.
>>>

>> cut kiwi in 1/2
>>
>> use spoon to scoop out the meat and leave the rind
>>
>> done!!
>>
>> kidlet was 3.5 yrs old when he had that one solved
>>

> Given the carb count I will try to talk her out of them. Now she wants
> pears. They didn't have any pears at Target. And normally we would have
> tons of pears in the backyard but my husband had the gardener cut back the
> trees so nothing produced this year. Maybe next. Maybe. They were really
> good pears.

I remember something about growing your own pears: They tend
to be best about two days before they fall off the tree. They
tend to develop a gritty texture if you wait until they fall
off the tree.

In the future, you may want to ask your husband not to have
all the trees cut back at once.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

> In >, "Julie >
> wrote:
>
>> "Malcom "Mal" > wrote in message
>>> In >, "Julie Bove"

>>> Yet another moan on how terrible life is. I wonder if you use dishes and
>>> tableware, after all they get dirty, sticky and otherwise messy.
>>>

>> We don't tend to eat sticky foods for dinner.

> How is an apple that you slice less sticky than an apple that was pre-sliced?
>

> Maybe you do. But we don't.
>> And yes, I do have a dishwasher and *gasp* I have even had the plumbing fixed
>> so I can use it again! I just freaking don't like cutting up apples and no
>> one in my house likes to either. If you've got a problem with that I guess
>> that is pretty damned pathetic.
>>
>>> Is it no wonder that you have financial problems when your willing to pay

> From: "Malcom \"Mal\" >
> Newsgroups: alt.food.diabetic
> Subject: Sticker shock at the store again!
> Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 21:12:59 -0700

> In >, "Julie >
> wrote:
>
>> "Malcom "Mal" > wrote in message
>>> In >, "Julie Bove"

>>> Yet another moan on how terrible life is. I wonder if you use dishes and
>>> tableware, after all they get dirty, sticky and otherwise messy.
>>>

>> We don't tend to eat sticky foods for dinner.

> How is an apple that you slice less sticky than an apple that was pre-sliced?
>

> Maybe you do. But we don't.
>> And yes, I do have a dishwasher and *gasp* I have even had the plumbing fixed
>> so I can use it again! I just freaking don't like cutting up apples and no
>> one in my house likes to either. If you've got a problem with that I guess
>> that is pretty damned pathetic.
>>
>>> Is it no wonder that you have financial problems when your willing to pay
>>> over three times the price for a food that has additional preservation
>>> techniques. Makes me wonder if you've ever considered the effect they are
>>> having on DD

>> Liar! I don't happen to have a bag of the apples from Winco now but I
>> believe the cost was $3.33 for sliced apples. It's a huge as in industrial
>> sized bag. Lasts us a good two weeks usually. You can buy about three whole
>> apples here for that price. I guarantee you that not only are there more
>> than three apples in that bag there are probably at least 12 apples in that
>> bag. Not expensive at all.

> At costco, the pre-sliced apples are 6 8oz packages for about 7.95 which works
> out to about 2.65 per pound which is at least 2.5 times the cost of whole
> apples. If you are getting bags that contain the equivalent of 12 apples, which
> is highly doubtful, that's about 50cents per pound which is highly doubtful

Have you bothered to check if she's from an apple-growing area where
the farmers cut up their rejects so they can at least get some money
from them?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Robert Miles" > wrote in message
.com...
> On 8/22/2011 2:48 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> cut kiwi in 1/2
>>>
>>> use spoon to scoop out the meat and leave the rind
>>>
>>> done!!
>>>
>>> kidlet was 3.5 yrs old when he had that one solved
>>>

>> Given the carb count I will try to talk her out of them. Now she wants
>> pears. They didn't have any pears at Target. And normally we would have
>> tons of pears in the backyard but my husband had the gardener cut back
>> the
>> trees so nothing produced this year. Maybe next. Maybe. They were
>> really
>> good pears.

> I remember something about growing your own pears: They tend
> to be best about two days before they fall off the tree. They
> tend to develop a gritty texture if you wait until they fall
> off the tree.
>
> In the future, you may want to ask your husband not to have
> all the trees cut back at once.

Yes. The year that we had the bumper crop, we gave tons of them away. And
do you know what people told us? We had to throw them away. They weren't
ripe! Gah! And I told them all when I gave them out that they needed to
let them sit for a couple of days and then they would be ripe.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Robert Miles" > wrote in message
.com...
> On 8/21/2011 11:12 PM, Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:
>> In >, "Julie
>> >
>> wrote:

>>> We don't tend to eat sticky foods for dinner.

>> How is an apple that you slice less sticky than an apple that was
>> pre-sliced?
>>

>> Maybe you do. But we don't.
>>> And yes, I do have a dishwasher and *gasp* I have even had the plumbing
>>> fixed
>>> so I can use it again! I just freaking don't like cutting up apples and
>>> no
>>> one in my house likes to either. If you've got a problem with that I
>>> guess
>>> that is pretty damned pathetic.

>> From: "Malcom \"Mal\" >
>> Newsgroups: alt.food.diabetic
>> Subject: Sticker shock at the store again!
>> Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 21:12:59 -0700

>> In >, "Julie
>> >
>> wrote:

>>> We don't tend to eat sticky foods for dinner.

>> How is an apple that you slice less sticky than an apple that was
>> pre-sliced?
>>

>> Maybe you do. But we don't.
>>> And yes, I do have a dishwasher and *gasp* I have even had the plumbing
>>> fixed
>>> so I can use it again! I just freaking don't like cutting up apples and
>>> no
>>> one in my house likes to either. If you've got a problem with that I
>>> guess
>>> that is pretty damned pathetic.

>>> Liar! I don't happen to have a bag of the apples from Winco now but I
>>> believe the cost was $3.33 for sliced apples. It's a huge as in
>>> industrial
>>> sized bag. Lasts us a good two weeks usually. You can buy about three
>>> whole
>>> apples here for that price. I guarantee you that not only are there
>>> more
>>> than three apples in that bag there are probably at least 12 apples in
>>> that
>>> bag. Not expensive at all.

>> At costco, the pre-sliced apples are 6 8oz packages for about 7.95 which
>> works
>> out to about 2.65 per pound which is at least 2.5 times the cost of whole
>> apples. If you are getting bags that contain the equivalent of 12 apples,
>> which
>> is highly doubtful, that's about 50cents per pound which is highly
>> doubtful

> Have you bothered to check if she's from an apple-growing area where
> the farmers cut up their rejects so they can at least get some money
> from them?

I'm in WA state. We are known for our apples here.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Robert Miles > wrote:

> > At costco, the pre-sliced apples are 6 8oz packages for about 7.95 which
> > works
> > out to about 2.65 per pound which is at least 2.5 times the cost of whole
> > apples. If you are getting bags that contain the equivalent of 12 apples,
> > which
> > is highly doubtful, that's about 50cents per pound which is highly doubtful

> Have you bothered to check if she's from an apple-growing area where
> the farmers cut up their rejects so they can at least get some money
> from them?

Maybe you can explain how cutting up rejects is going to improve sales? In any
event wouldn't it have a higher profit margin to NOT cut them up and sell them
for less?

Sticker Shock Mark Thorson General Cooking 15 20-09-2012 12:00 AM
Sticker shock Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 6 04-09-2012 06:11 PM
Sticker shock Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 15 27-04-2012 04:29 PM
More Sticker Shock No Name General Cooking 36 02-06-2009 04:18 PM