Old 14-08-2011, 12:03 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Yucky vegetables

Ozgirl wrote:
"Storrmmee" wrote in message
i hope the test works out well, Lee
"Julie Bove" wrote in message
Okay so those veggies we bought for tonight's dinner were a big
bust. I had microwave steamer bags of sweet potatoes, baby summer
squash, Brussel sprouts and also a head of cauliflower which I also
steamed in the microwave. Seasoned them with butter, a little
parmesan cheese and Herbamare.

The only part Angela liked was the sweet potatoes which are probably
the worst of the bunch considering the carbs. But at least she ate
something.

I just can't stomach mine. I did manage to swallow a Brussel sprout
but it kept threatening to come back up. I can eat summer squash.
But I really don't like it very much. HATE sweet potatoes and can
only seem to eat cooked cauliflower in very small amounts in a
vegetable soup. No other way.

Angela has informed me that she wants her veggies raw from now on.
And really I prefer them that way too.

After we get the 24 hour urine test done, I will buy more stuff that
can be eaten raw. I did have celery but it went all wilty. And we
do have carrots. But not a lot of room in the fridge for anything
else at the moment.

Those Tupperware celery keepers are fabulous for keeping celery fresh
for a long time. I cut the leaves off and use it in soup or stew and
cut off the root bit so there are single stalks. Failing that rinse
the stalks in water and put in a plastic bag and close it. Lasts a
bit long er than doing nothing at all but not as good as the
Tupperware thingy

I'm going to have to get one. I always have a problem with celery going bad
before I can finish the whole head.

Are they labelled as such in stores? What do they look like?

Old 14-08-2011, 12:36 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet" wrote in message
"Julie Bove" wrote in message
[...]

It seems like this is no longer available. Tupperware here cannot be
bought in stores. If you don't want to host a party Tupperware will give
your order to a representative in your area who usually "adds" it
someone's party sales.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/14220224...y-crisp-celery

Look in the home wares stores for something similar. If you can get a
grate in a container with a nice good fitting lid I am sure that would
suffice. Doesn't have to be a long container, just cut to fit whatever
shape/size you can buy. I would probably go to a large home wares
store, not the small boutique style that mostly sell pots and pans and
nice dinner sets etc. We have a few here, Howard's Storage would be my
first stop here - they have storage for everything from kitchen,
laundry, all house areas really, and office. You might be lucky to find
something in the plastics section of the supermarket too. I am going to
have to buy another lettuce keeper too, I lost mine and I notice in
recent years lettuce does not keep very well despite us going through an
iceberg about every 3 days. The specialty lettuces are worse but I just
buy mixed leaves these days and only enough for a couple of days.

Ooo, I just found this for strawberries -
http://www.hsw.com.au/index.php?prod...t=1&id_dept=64.
They are cheap here at the moment so I am buying them in bulk but they
are getting a little mould on them I have noticed. And found this,
which would be ideal for celery:
http://www.hsw.com.au/index.php?prod...t=1&id_dept=64

I bought a large bunch of celery this week and I have cut off the top
with the leaves and some of the thinner pieces of celery and I am having
it in soup tonight (with other veggies) with some ham hocks.

Old 14-08-2011, 04:19 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet" wrote in message
"Julie Bove" wrote in message
[...]

The thing I had wasn't specifically for celery but any vegetables. I got it
at a party. Actually I had two. They were rectangular and had two tabs on
one end. You were to close or open them depending on how much air you
wanted to let in. This is the part my husband broke. Actually I just cut
them up and put them in plastic bags now. When it is cut up we eat a lot of
it.

Old 14-08-2011, 07:50 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie wrote in message
[...]

Janet

cut the celery from the root

place the individual stalks in a juice jug with 2 inch of water on the
bottom and close lid on jug

done

kate

three vegetables Pico Rico[_2_] General Cooking 0 18-11-2011 01:49 AM
will zapping leftover pizza get rid of all the yucky bacteria? blake murphy[_2_] General Cooking 8 25-07-2010 05:38 AM
vegetables [email protected] Barbecue 29 09-05-2007 08:25 PM
Vegetables [email protected] Vegan 54 31-07-2005 03:12 PM
DRY Is Good, SWEET Is Yucky? Ian Hoare Wine 20 26-01-2005 12:17 AM