Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Yucky vegetables

Okay so those veggies we bought for tonight's dinner were a big bust. I had
microwave steamer bags of sweet potatoes, baby summer squash, Brussel
sprouts and also a head of cauliflower which I also steamed in the
microwave. Seasoned them with butter, a little parmesan cheese and
Herbamare.

The only part Angela liked was the sweet potatoes which are probably the
worst of the bunch considering the carbs. But at least she ate something.

I just can't stomach mine. I did manage to swallow a Brussel sprout but it
kept threatening to come back up. I can eat summer squash. But I really
don't like it very much. HATE sweet potatoes and can only seem to eat
cooked cauliflower in very small amounts in a vegetable soup. No other way.

Angela has informed me that she wants her veggies raw from now on. And
really I prefer them that way too.

After we get the 24 hour urine test done, I will buy more stuff that can be
eaten raw. I did have celery but it went all wilty. And we do have
carrots. But not a lot of room in the fridge for anything else at the
moment.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i hope the test works out well, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> Okay so those veggies we bought for tonight's dinner were a big bust. I
> had microwave steamer bags of sweet potatoes, baby summer squash, Brussel
> sprouts and also a head of cauliflower which I also steamed in the
> microwave. Seasoned them with butter, a little parmesan cheese and
> Herbamare.
>
> The only part Angela liked was the sweet potatoes which are probably the
> worst of the bunch considering the carbs. But at least she ate something.
>
> I just can't stomach mine. I did manage to swallow a Brussel sprout but
> it kept threatening to come back up. I can eat summer squash. But I
> really don't like it very much. HATE sweet potatoes and can only seem to
> eat cooked cauliflower in very small amounts in a vegetable soup. No
> other way.
>
> Angela has informed me that she wants her veggies raw from now on. And
> really I prefer them that way too.
>
> After we get the 24 hour urine test done, I will buy more stuff that can
> be eaten raw. I did have celery but it went all wilty. And we do have
> carrots. But not a lot of room in the fridge for anything else at the
> moment.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> i hope the test works out well, Lee
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> Okay so those veggies we bought for tonight's dinner were a big bust.
>> I had microwave steamer bags of sweet potatoes, baby summer squash,
>> Brussel sprouts and also a head of cauliflower which I also steamed
>> in the microwave. Seasoned them with butter, a little parmesan
>> cheese and Herbamare.
>>
>> The only part Angela liked was the sweet potatoes which are probably
>> the worst of the bunch considering the carbs. But at least she ate
>> something.
>>
>> I just can't stomach mine. I did manage to swallow a Brussel sprout
>> but it kept threatening to come back up. I can eat summer squash.
>> But I really don't like it very much. HATE sweet potatoes and can
>> only seem to eat cooked cauliflower in very small amounts in a
>> vegetable soup. No other way.
>>
>> Angela has informed me that she wants her veggies raw from now on.
>> And really I prefer them that way too.
>>
>> After we get the 24 hour urine test done, I will buy more stuff that
>> can be eaten raw. I did have celery but it went all wilty. And we
>> do have carrots. But not a lot of room in the fridge for anything
>> else at the moment.

Those Tupperware celery keepers are fabulous for keeping celery fresh
for a long time. I cut the leaves off and use it in soup or stew and cut
off the root bit so there are single stalks. Failing that rinse the
stalks in water and put in a plastic bag and close it. Lasts a bit long
er than doing nothing at all but not as good as the Tupperware thingy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Oops that was meant for Julie, sorry Lee

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> i hope the test works out well, Lee
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>> Okay so those veggies we bought for tonight's dinner were a big
>>> bust. I had microwave steamer bags of sweet potatoes, baby summer
>>> squash, Brussel sprouts and also a head of cauliflower which I also
>>> steamed in the microwave. Seasoned them with butter, a little
>>> parmesan cheese and Herbamare.
>>>
>>> The only part Angela liked was the sweet potatoes which are probably
>>> the worst of the bunch considering the carbs. But at least she ate
>>> something.
>>>
>>> I just can't stomach mine. I did manage to swallow a Brussel sprout
>>> but it kept threatening to come back up. I can eat summer squash.
>>> But I really don't like it very much. HATE sweet potatoes and can
>>> only seem to eat cooked cauliflower in very small amounts in a
>>> vegetable soup. No other way.
>>>
>>> Angela has informed me that she wants her veggies raw from now on.
>>> And really I prefer them that way too.
>>>
>>> After we get the 24 hour urine test done, I will buy more stuff that
>>> can be eaten raw. I did have celery but it went all wilty. And we
>>> do have carrots. But not a lot of room in the fridge for anything
>>> else at the moment.

> Those Tupperware celery keepers are fabulous for keeping celery fresh
> for a long time. I cut the leaves off and use it in soup or stew and
> cut off the root bit so there are single stalks. Failing that rinse
> the stalks in water and put in a plastic bag and close it. Lasts a bit
> long er than doing nothing at all but not as good as the Tupperware
> thingy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

no problem, my mom has one of those things for the celery, Lee
"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Oops that was meant for Julie, sorry Lee
>

> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>> i hope the test works out well, Lee

>> Those Tupperware celery keepers are fabulous for keeping celery fresh for
>> a long time. I cut the leaves off and use it in soup or stew and cut off
>> the root bit so there are single stalks. Failing that rinse the stalks in
>> water and put in a plastic bag and close it. Lasts a bit long er than
>> doing nothing at all but not as good as the Tupperware thingy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ozgirl > wrote:

: >>
: >> After we get the 24 hour urine test done, I will buy more stuff that
: >> can be eaten raw. I did have celery but it went all wilty. And we
: >> do have carrots. But not a lot of room in the fridge for anything
: >> else at the moment.

: Those Tupperware celery keepers are fabulous for keeping celery fresh
: for a long time. I cut the leaves off and use it in soup or stew and cut
: off the root bit so there are single stalks. Failing that rinse the
: stalks in water and put in a plastic bag and close it. Lasts a bit long
: er than doing nothing at all but not as good as the Tupperware thingy

You can also put the stalks in a tall jar with water in it in the fridge.
Helps some.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>i hope the test works out well, Lee

Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> i hope the test works out well, Lee
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>> Okay so those veggies we bought for tonight's dinner were a big bust. I
>>> had microwave steamer bags of sweet potatoes, baby summer squash,
>>> Brussel sprouts and also a head of cauliflower which I also steamed in
>>> the microwave. Seasoned them with butter, a little parmesan cheese and
>>> Herbamare.
>>>
>>> The only part Angela liked was the sweet potatoes which are probably the
>>> worst of the bunch considering the carbs. But at least she ate
>>> something.
>>>
>>> I just can't stomach mine. I did manage to swallow a Brussel sprout but
>>> it kept threatening to come back up. I can eat summer squash. But I
>>> really don't like it very much. HATE sweet potatoes and can only seem
>>> to eat cooked cauliflower in very small amounts in a vegetable soup. No
>>> other way.
>>>
>>> Angela has informed me that she wants her veggies raw from now on. And
>>> really I prefer them that way too.
>>>
>>> After we get the 24 hour urine test done, I will buy more stuff that can
>>> be eaten raw. I did have celery but it went all wilty. And we do have
>>> carrots. But not a lot of room in the fridge for anything else at the
>>> moment.

> Those Tupperware celery keepers are fabulous for keeping celery fresh for
> a long time. I cut the leaves off and use it in soup or stew and cut off
> the root bit so there are single stalks. Failing that rinse the stalks in
> water and put in a plastic bag and close it. Lasts a bit long er than
> doing nothing at all but not as good as the Tupperware thingy

Not in my house they're not. I bought two. Husband broke both of them
immediately. He couldn't figure out how to take the tops off so just broke
them.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Ozgirl > wrote:
>

> : >>
> : >> After we get the 24 hour urine test done, I will buy more stuff that
> : >> can be eaten raw. I did have celery but it went all wilty. And we
> : >> do have carrots. But not a lot of room in the fridge for anything
> : >> else at the moment.
>
> : Those Tupperware celery keepers are fabulous for keeping celery fresh
> : for a long time. I cut the leaves off and use it in soup or stew and cut
> : off the root bit so there are single stalks. Failing that rinse the
> : stalks in water and put in a plastic bag and close it. Lasts a bit long
> : er than doing nothing at all but not as good as the Tupperware thingy
>
> You can also put the stalks in a tall jar with water in it in the fridge.
> Helps some.

No place for a tall jar in my fridge. I have a small side by side. And no
crisper drawer.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:

: "W. Baker" > wrote in message
: ...
: > Ozgirl > wrote:
: >
: >
: > : >>
[...]

Soo cut the stalks in half and put in a shorter jar.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
> : "W. Baker" > wrote in message
> : ...
> : > Ozgirl > wrote:
> : >
> : >
> : > : >>
> : > : >> After we get the 24 hour urine test done, I will buy more stuff
> that
> : > : >> can be eaten raw. I did have celery but it went all wilty. And
> we
> : > : >> do have carrots. But not a lot of room in the fridge for
> anything
> : > : >> else at the moment.
> : >
> : > : Those Tupperware celery keepers are fabulous for keeping celery
> fresh
> : > : for a long time. I cut the leaves off and use it in soup or stew and
> cut
> : > : off the root bit so there are single stalks. Failing that rinse the
> : > : stalks in water and put in a plastic bag and close it. Lasts a bit
> long
> : > : er than doing nothing at all but not as good as the Tupperware
> thingy
> : >
> : > You can also put the stalks in a tall jar with water in it in the
> fridge.
> : > Helps some.
>
> : No place for a tall jar in my fridge. I have a small side by side. And
> no
> : crisper drawer.
> Soo cut the stalks in half and put in a shorter jar.

Okay. Thanks!

Member

Yes i know sometimes it's hard to manage things . But at least ur struggling Good for a healthy living . My mother is diebatic patient and she's really careless about our health . i wish she could understand the things too .
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

> wrote in message
> snip
>>
>>Those Tupperware celery keepers are fabulous for keeping celery fresh
>>for a long time. I cut the leaves off and use it in soup or stew and
>>cut
>>off the root bit so there are single stalks. Failing that rinse the
>>stalks in water and put in a plastic bag and close it. Lasts a bit
>>long
>>er than doing nothing at all but not as good as the Tupperware thingy
>>

> We have been keeping ours wrapped in aluminum foil. Keeps for weeks.
> Clean first and leave some of the water on it. Cut off the root,
> clean it up and eat it.

Yes, it seems the trick is to have a little moisture on the celery and
keep it as airtight as possible.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 8/8/2011 2:54 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> > wrote in message
>>

>> > wrote in message
>>> i hope the test works out well, Lee

>> Those Tupperware celery keepers are fabulous for keeping celery fresh for
>> a long time. I cut the leaves off and use it in soup or stew and cut off
>> the root bit so there are single stalks. Failing that rinse the stalks in
>> water and put in a plastic bag and close it. Lasts a bit long er than
>> doing nothing at all but not as good as the Tupperware thingy

> Not in my house they're not. I bought two. Husband broke both of them
> immediately. He couldn't figure out how to take the tops off so just broke
> them.

Have you considered working out how to do it, then showing him a
few times?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Robert Miles" > wrote in message

>>> Those Tupperware celery keepers are fabulous for keeping celery fresh
>>> for
>>> a long time. I cut the leaves off and use it in soup or stew and cut off
>>> the root bit so there are single stalks. Failing that rinse the stalks
>>> in
>>> water and put in a plastic bag and close it. Lasts a bit long er than
>>> doing nothing at all but not as good as the Tupperware thingy

>> Not in my house they're not. I bought two. Husband broke both of them
>> immediately. He couldn't figure out how to take the tops off so just
>> broke
>> them.

> Have you considered working out how to do it, then showing him a
> few times?

Ha! Apparently you have never met my husband. Nobody can show him
anything!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ozgirl wrote:
> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> i hope the test works out well, Lee
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>> Okay so those veggies we bought for tonight's dinner were a big
>>> bust. I had microwave steamer bags of sweet potatoes, baby summer
>>> squash, Brussel sprouts and also a head of cauliflower which I also
>>> steamed in the microwave. Seasoned them with butter, a little
>>> parmesan cheese and Herbamare.
>>>
>>> The only part Angela liked was the sweet potatoes which are probably
>>> the worst of the bunch considering the carbs. But at least she ate
>>> something.
>>>
>>> I just can't stomach mine. I did manage to swallow a Brussel sprout
>>> but it kept threatening to come back up. I can eat summer squash.
>>> But I really don't like it very much. HATE sweet potatoes and can
>>> only seem to eat cooked cauliflower in very small amounts in a
>>> vegetable soup. No other way.
>>>
>>> Angela has informed me that she wants her veggies raw from now on.
>>> And really I prefer them that way too.
>>>
>>> After we get the 24 hour urine test done, I will buy more stuff that
>>> can be eaten raw. I did have celery but it went all wilty. And we
>>> do have carrots. But not a lot of room in the fridge for anything
>>> else at the moment.

> Those Tupperware celery keepers are fabulous for keeping celery fresh
> for a long time. I cut the leaves off and use it in soup or stew and
> cut off the root bit so there are single stalks. Failing that rinse
> the stalks in water and put in a plastic bag and close it. Lasts a
> bit long er than doing nothing at all but not as good as the
> Tupperware thingy

I'm going to have to get one. I always have a problem with celery going bad
before I can finish the whole head.

Are they labelled as such in stores? What do they look like?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet" > wrote in message
> Ozgirl wrote:
>> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>>> i hope the test works out well, Lee

>> Those Tupperware celery keepers are fabulous for keeping celery fresh
>> for a long time. I cut the leaves off and use it in soup or stew and
>> cut off the root bit so there are single stalks. Failing that rinse
>> the stalks in water and put in a plastic bag and close it. Lasts a
>> bit long er than doing nothing at all but not as good as the
>> Tupperware thingy

> I'm going to have to get one. I always have a problem with celery
> going bad before I can finish the whole head.
>
> Are they labelled as such in stores? What do they look like?

It seems like this is no longer available. Tupperware here cannot be
bought in stores. If you don't want to host a party Tupperware will give
your order to a representative in your area who usually "adds" it
someone's party sales.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/14220224...y-crisp-celery

Look in the home wares stores for something similar. If you can get a
grate in a container with a nice good fitting lid I am sure that would
suffice. Doesn't have to be a long container, just cut to fit whatever
shape/size you can buy. I would probably go to a large home wares
store, not the small boutique style that mostly sell pots and pans and
nice dinner sets etc. We have a few here, Howard's Storage would be my
first stop here - they have storage for everything from kitchen,
laundry, all house areas really, and office. You might be lucky to find
something in the plastics section of the supermarket too. I am going to
have to buy another lettuce keeper too, I lost mine and I notice in
recent years lettuce does not keep very well despite us going through an
iceberg about every 3 days. The specialty lettuces are worse but I just
buy mixed leaves these days and only enough for a couple of days.

Ooo, I just found this for strawberries -
http://www.hsw.com.au/index.php?prod...t=1&id_dept=64.
They are cheap here at the moment so I am buying them in bulk but they
are getting a little mould on them I have noticed. And found this,
which would be ideal for celery:
http://www.hsw.com.au/index.php?prod...t=1&id_dept=64

I bought a large bunch of celery this week and I have cut off the top
with the leaves and some of the thinner pieces of celery and I am having
it in soup tonight (with other veggies) with some ham hocks.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet" > wrote in message
> Ozgirl wrote:
>> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>>> i hope the test works out well, Lee

>> Those Tupperware celery keepers are fabulous for keeping celery fresh
>> for a long time. I cut the leaves off and use it in soup or stew and
>> cut off the root bit so there are single stalks. Failing that rinse
>> the stalks in water and put in a plastic bag and close it. Lasts a
>> bit long er than doing nothing at all but not as good as the
>> Tupperware thingy

> I'm going to have to get one. I always have a problem with celery going
> bad before I can finish the whole head.
>
> Are they labelled as such in stores? What do they look like?

The thing I had wasn't specifically for celery but any vegetables. I got it
at a party. Actually I had two. They were rectangular and had two tabs on
one end. You were to close or open them depending on how much air you
wanted to let in. This is the part my husband broke. Actually I just cut
them up and put them in plastic bags now. When it is cut up we eat a lot of
it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 8/13/2011 5:03 PM, Janet wrote:
> Ozgirl wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>>> i hope the test works out well, Lee

>> Those Tupperware celery keepers are fabulous for keeping celery fresh
>> for a long time. I cut the leaves off and use it in soup or stew and
>> cut off the root bit so there are single stalks. Failing that rinse
>> the stalks in water and put in a plastic bag and close it. Lasts a
>> bit long er than doing nothing at all but not as good as the
>> Tupperware thingy

> I'm going to have to get one. I always have a problem with celery going bad
> before I can finish the whole head.
>
> Are they labelled as such in stores? What do they look like?

Janet

cut the celery from the root

place the individual stalks in a juice jug with 2 inch of water on the
bottom and close lid on jug

done

kate

three vegetables Pico Rico[_2_] General Cooking 0 18-11-2011 12:49 AM
will zapping leftover pizza get rid of all the yucky bacteria? blake murphy[_2_] General Cooking 8 25-07-2010 05:38 AM
vegetables [email protected] Barbecue 29 09-05-2007 08:25 PM
Vegetables dh@. Vegan 54 31-07-2005 03:12 PM
DRY Is Good, SWEET Is Yucky? Ian Hoare Wine 20 25-01-2005 11:17 PM