Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Can I change this recipe?

I found this recipe that might work for Angela.

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/des...rrysquares.htm

She doesn't like pecans but if I don't tell her they are in there she might
not notice. I have tricked my brother with them countless times. He says
he won't eat anything that looks like a brain and that includes cauliflower,
walnuts and pecans. Anyway...

She *really* doesn't like raspberries. She will eat strawberries in some
things provided there are not large chunks of fruit.

Do you think this would work with strawberries instead of raspberries? I
would have to cut them up pretty finely and perhaps put slices on the top.
She would probably pick off the slices.

Too bad it does contain dairy but it doesn't contain eggs so even I could
eat it.

I bought her a gluten free strawberry cheesecake for her birthday and she
loved it but it isn't your typical strawberry cheesecake. There were no
whole or even chopped berries in it. There were just dark pink swirls.

Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

The pecans won't be notices in a ground meal crust. As for the berries,
you could used pureed. I'd be making 1/2 the jello and laying it over
the crust until set then put the pureed fruit over the top and put the
rest of the jello on top to set. Use any sugar free jello in a flavour
you know she likes and any fruit really. Even baby food puree.
Alternatively put pureed fruit through the jello mix. It doesn't
necessarily have to be whole fruit in the mix. I make sugar free jello
and pop cut up strawberries in mine and set. Quick and easy without
doing a recipe. Just watch the calories. Once the slice is made there
are going to be more than one serving and if she is sneaking food that
is something she will try to get at if its there.

I wash fruit like berries and leave in a small colander in the fridge.
My kids will pick at that rather than open a container. I also leave
hard boiled eggs, cooked chicken etc in the fridge ready to eat for
picking at for myself and I notice the kids take some from time to time
as well if there is nothing in the pantry in the junk line. Thank
goodness they hate feta and olives They will only take carrots out of
the raw veggies which is fine, plenty of cucumber, celery and mushrooms
for me I haven't bought much if anything in the snack line except
yoghurt in recent weeks and somehow they survived

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> I found this recipe that might work for Angela.
>
> http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/des...rrysquares.htm
>
> She doesn't like pecans but if I don't tell her they are in there she
> might not notice. I have tricked my brother with them countless
> times. He says he won't eat anything that looks like a brain and that
> includes cauliflower, walnuts and pecans. Anyway...
>
> She *really* doesn't like raspberries. She will eat strawberries in
> some things provided there are not large chunks of fruit.
>
> Do you think this would work with strawberries instead of raspberries?
> I would have to cut them up pretty finely and perhaps put slices on
> the top. She would probably pick off the slices.
>
> Too bad it does contain dairy but it doesn't contain eggs so even I
> could eat it.
>
> I bought her a gluten free strawberry cheesecake for her birthday and
> she loved it but it isn't your typical strawberry cheesecake. There
> were no whole or even chopped berries in it. There were just dark
> pink swirls.
>
> Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> The pecans won't be notices in a ground meal crust. As for the berries,
> you could used pureed. I'd be making 1/2 the jello and laying it over the
> crust until set then put the pureed fruit over the top and put the rest of
> the jello on top to set. Use any sugar free jello in a flavour you know
> she likes and any fruit really. Even baby food puree. Alternatively put
> pureed fruit through the jello mix. It doesn't necessarily have to be
> whole fruit in the mix. I make sugar free jello and pop cut up
> strawberries in mine and set. Quick and easy without doing a recipe. Just
> watch the calories. Once the slice is made there are going to be more than
> one serving and if she is sneaking food that is something she will try to
> get at if its there.
>
> I wash fruit like berries and leave in a small colander in the fridge. My
> kids will pick at that rather than open a container. I also leave hard
> boiled eggs, cooked chicken etc in the fridge ready to eat for picking at
> for myself and I notice the kids take some from time to time as well if
> there is nothing in the pantry in the junk line. Thank goodness they hate
> feta and olives They will only take carrots out of the raw veggies
> which is fine, plenty of cucumber, celery and mushrooms for me I
> haven't bought much if anything in the snack line except yoghurt in recent
> weeks and somehow they survived

She doesn't actually like Jell-O either so I am hoping she won't notice that
I am using it in the recipe. It looks to me like a cheesecake which is what
I am hoping she'll think that it is.

We had a bad experience with eggs last night. I bought a dozen for my
husband and he didn't eat them. I don't normally buy whole raw eggs because
Angela can have them only once a week and I'm allergic. I will buy her
cooked boiled or deviled eggs. And I did buy her Egg Beaters and the like
but I won't do that any more because she wasn't eating them. I can now get
frozen omelets so have been buying those.

Anyway I noticed that the eggs weren't eaten and he is leaving on Mon. So I
boiled them and we were going to make deviled eggs. I had her taste the
mashed yolks after we put in the mayo, onion powder and mustard powder, salt
and pepper. She said they didn't taste quite right. Sort of tangy. I
thought maybe there was too much mustard and obviously not nearly enough
mayo. So we kept adding mayo and the more we added the worse they tasted.
So she checked the date on the mayo and it expired back in June! I only
bought a small squeeze bottle because we use so little mayo. And it was an
odd brand of organic stuff. So I am thinking since the container wasn't
opened, it was more likely a taste difference of that brand and less likely
that it was expired. However Angela is VERY suspect of expired food so a
lot of drama and mouth washing occurred after that.

I did tell her to eat as many of the whites as she wanted and we threw the
rest away.

Angela won't eat most fruit. But she does like a little more than I do.
She does like melon. I don't buy it often though because just like the Egg
Beaters it often doesn't get eaten. I did buy her some watermelon "spears"
at Trader Joe's today because she was hungry and I knew she would eat them
right away. She will eat grapes at my parent's house. But not at home.
They had grapes today and I told her she could have two. But she only had
one. I know grapes are really high in carbs. Once in a while she likes
bananas. Bad I know. She will eat apples if they are sliced. And she will
eat applesauce and canned pears. That's it for the fruit. She doesn't like
any other kind.

She is expanding her veggies. She did eat celery last night and said she
liked it. And she does like cucumbers. I bought her some baby ones.

I do keep cooked chicken in the freezer and sometimes I buy the refrigerated
cooked stuff. I don't cook it often because she doesn't like it when I cook
it. She will eat the lunch meat turkey. And once in a while she will eat
bologna, pepperoni or gluten free beef jerky. But she doesn't really like
any other meats.

It's hard when the picky eater also has food allergies. She is usually
really good to try things. She just usually doesn't like what she tries.

I did get mad at her the other day. I made corn chowder and she wouldn't
even take a taste of it. Neither would my husband. I ate a bowl but can't
say that I liked it all that well. The corn was much too sweet for my
tastes. Stupid thing that. I decided to make it to use up some old creamed
corn. So I bought some stuff called "Cooking Cream". I had a coupon for it
and it was on sale. It's just cream cheese with cream whipped in and you
can get other flavors. So then I noticed that my creamed corn can had a big
dent in it. I decided it wasn't safe so tossed it. But then I had that
Cooking Cream and it was about to expire. So I bought more creamed corn
just to make the chowder that nobody would eat. *sigh*

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> I did get mad at her the other day. I made corn chowder and she
> wouldn't even take a taste of it. Neither would my husband. I ate a
> bowl but can't say that I liked it all that well. The corn was much
> too sweet for my tastes. Stupid thing that. I decided to make it to
> use up some old creamed corn. So I bought some stuff called "Cooking
> Cream". I had a coupon for it and it was on sale. It's just cream
> cheese with cream whipped in and you can get other flavors. So then I
> noticed that my creamed corn can had a big dent in it. I decided it
> wasn't safe so tossed it. But then I had that Cooking Cream and it
> was about to expire. So I bought more creamed corn just to make the
> chowder that nobody would eat. *sigh*

Creamed corn, chicken stock and finely cut up cooked chicken, add some
thinly sliced shallots, the green part and a bit of pepper and there you
have a poor man's Chinese chicken and corn soup The chicken stock
makes it a much thinner soup than chowder.

FWIW, my kids rarely taste anything they decide is going to be awful (to
them). I tease them sometimes by eating baby octopus but holding the
octopus up high, head tilted back and letting them watch the tentacles
go in my mouth

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>
>> I did get mad at her the other day. I made corn chowder and she wouldn't
>> even take a taste of it. Neither would my husband. I ate a bowl but
>> can't say that I liked it all that well. The corn was much too sweet for
>> my tastes. Stupid thing that. I decided to make it to use up some old
>> creamed corn. So I bought some stuff called "Cooking Cream". I had a
>> coupon for it and it was on sale. It's just cream cheese with cream
>> whipped in and you can get other flavors. So then I noticed that my
>> creamed corn can had a big dent in it. I decided it wasn't safe so
>> tossed it. But then I had that Cooking Cream and it was about to expire.
>> So I bought more creamed corn just to make the chowder that nobody would
>> eat. *sigh*

> Creamed corn, chicken stock and finely cut up cooked chicken, add some
> thinly sliced shallots, the green part and a bit of pepper and there you
> have a poor man's Chinese chicken and corn soup The chicken stock makes
> it a much thinner soup than chowder.
>
> FWIW, my kids rarely taste anything they decide is going to be awful (to
> them). I tease them sometimes by eating baby octopus but holding the
> octopus up high, head tilted back and letting them watch the tentacles go
> in my mouth

Sadly she has gone off of soup. And I just got a late birthday present of a
soup tureen, ladle and mugs. Normally I think she would like that soup.
But for the time being she won't do soup. Perhaps she will again when the
weather turns colder.

I think the problem was year before last I was just soooo sick with
respiratory things that I made chicken soup much more often than I normally
would have. It made me feel better so everybody had to eat it.

She did go off of it then and shouted, "I don't want anything soupy!"

Then this past year she was sick so often that I did try to get her to eat
soup quite a bit.

Luckily this summer she hasn't gotten sick at all aside from the endocrine
problems.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

most berries are exchangable, not sure about the nuts, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>I found this recipe that might work for Angela.
>
> http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/des...rrysquares.htm
>
> She doesn't like pecans but if I don't tell her they are in there she
> might not notice. I have tricked my brother with them countless times.
> He says he won't eat anything that looks like a brain and that includes
> cauliflower, walnuts and pecans. Anyway...
>
> She *really* doesn't like raspberries. She will eat strawberries in some
> things provided there are not large chunks of fruit.
>
> Do you think this would work with strawberries instead of raspberries? I
> would have to cut them up pretty finely and perhaps put slices on the top.
> She would probably pick off the slices.
>
> Too bad it does contain dairy but it doesn't contain eggs so even I could
> eat it.
>
> I bought her a gluten free strawberry cheesecake for her birthday and she
> loved it but it isn't your typical strawberry cheesecake. There were no
> whole or even chopped berries in it. There were just dark pink swirls.
>
> Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

that is a good point, having the "bad" choices, i hate that word, just not
even present really does help, if truly hungry another choice will be made,
if not hungry, whining and cranking will ensue, Lee
"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> The pecans won't be notices in a ground meal crust. As for the berries,
> you could used pureed. I'd be making 1/2 the jello and laying it over the
> crust until set then put the pureed fruit over the top and put the rest of
> the jello on top to set. Use any sugar free jello in a flavour you know
> she likes and any fruit really. Even baby food puree. Alternatively put
> pureed fruit through the jello mix. It doesn't necessarily have to be
> whole fruit in the mix. I make sugar free jello and pop cut up
> strawberries in mine and set. Quick and easy without doing a recipe. Just
> watch the calories. Once the slice is made there are going to be more than
> one serving and if she is sneaking food that is something she will try to
> get at if its there.
>
> I wash fruit like berries and leave in a small colander in the fridge. My
> kids will pick at that rather than open a container. I also leave hard
> boiled eggs, cooked chicken etc in the fridge ready to eat for picking at
> for myself and I notice the kids take some from time to time as well if
> there is nothing in the pantry in the junk line. Thank goodness they hate
> feta and olives They will only take carrots out of the raw veggies
> which is fine, plenty of cucumber, celery and mushrooms for me I
> haven't bought much if anything in the snack line except yoghurt in recent
> weeks and somehow they survived
>

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> I found this recipe that might work for Angela.
>>
>> http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/des...rrysquares.htm
>>
>> She doesn't like pecans but if I don't tell her they are in there she
>> might not notice. I have tricked my brother with them countless times.
>> He says he won't eat anything that looks like a brain and that includes
>> cauliflower, walnuts and pecans. Anyway...
>>
>> She *really* doesn't like raspberries. She will eat strawberries in some
>> things provided there are not large chunks of fruit.
>>
>> Do you think this would work with strawberries instead of raspberries? I
>> would have to cut them up pretty finely and perhaps put slices on the
>> top. She would probably pick off the slices.
>>
>> Too bad it does contain dairy but it doesn't contain eggs so even I could
>> eat it.
>>
>> I bought her a gluten free strawberry cheesecake for her birthday and she
>> loved it but it isn't your typical strawberry cheesecake. There were no
>> whole or even chopped berries in it. There were just dark pink swirls.
>>
>> Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:
: I found this recipe that might work for Angela.

: I bought her a gluten free strawberry cheesecake for her birthday and she
: loved it but it isn't your typical strawberry cheesecake. There were no
: whole or even chopped berries in it. There were just dark pink swirls.

: Thanks!

gluten free cheesecake is easy to make. Jus use a grond nut crust in
place of graham crackers and replace any tbs of flour with cornsarch, us
Splenda or other artificial sweetener of your choice. I find lemon
juice and scraped peel adds flavor. Doesn't need any berries at all. I
does use a fair amount of cream cheese(I use the lower fat kind) and calls
fo eggs for a custardy texture might work with egg replcer.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:

: I did get mad at her the other day. I made corn chowder and she wouldn't
: even take a taste of it. Neither would my husband. I ate a bowl but can't
: say that I liked it all that well. The corn was much too sweet for my
: tastes. Stupid thing that. I decided to make it to use up some old creamed
: corn. So I bought some stuff called "Cooking Cream". I had a coupon for it
: and it was on sale. It's just cream cheese with cream whipped in and you
: can get other flavors. So then I noticed that my creamed corn can had a big
: dent in it. I decided it wasn't safe so tossed it. But then I had that
: Cooking Cream and it was about to expire. So I bought more creamed corn
: just to make the chowder that nobody would eat. *sigh*

Easiet corn soup I know. Learned it from my mother.

Quick and Dirty Corn CSoup.

1 can canned cream style corn
1 can milk(Igues you coule use soy milk or usweetened rice here)

Mix and heat adding freshly ground black pepper if desired.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> most berries are exchangable, not sure about the nuts, Lee

Thanks! I wouldn't change the nuts seeing as how she doesn't like any nuts.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
> : I found this recipe that might work for Angela.
>
> : I bought her a gluten free strawberry cheesecake for her birthday and
> she
> : loved it but it isn't your typical strawberry cheesecake. There were no
> : whole or even chopped berries in it. There were just dark pink swirls.
>
> : Thanks!
>
> gluten free cheesecake is easy to make. Jus use a grond nut crust in
> place of graham crackers and replace any tbs of flour with cornsarch, us
> Splenda or other artificial sweetener of your choice. I find lemon
> juice and scraped peel adds flavor. Doesn't need any berries at all. I
> does use a fair amount of cream cheese(I use the lower fat kind) and calls
> fo eggs for a custardy texture might work with egg replcer.

I hadn't made one because of the eggs. But this recipe calls for no eggs
and seems to make a small total finished dish.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>

> : I did get mad at her the other day. I made corn chowder and she
> wouldn't
> : even take a taste of it. Neither would my husband. I ate a bowl but
> can't
> : say that I liked it all that well. The corn was much too sweet for my
> : tastes. Stupid thing that. I decided to make it to use up some old
> creamed
> : corn. So I bought some stuff called "Cooking Cream". I had a coupon
> for it
> : and it was on sale. It's just cream cheese with cream whipped in and
> you
> : can get other flavors. So then I noticed that my creamed corn can had a
> big
> : dent in it. I decided it wasn't safe so tossed it. But then I had that
> : Cooking Cream and it was about to expire. So I bought more creamed corn
> : just to make the chowder that nobody would eat. *sigh*
>
> Easiet corn soup I know. Learned it from my mother.
>
> Quick and Dirty Corn CSoup.
>
> 1 can canned cream style corn
> 1 can milk(Igues you coule use soy milk or usweetened rice here)
>
> Mix and heat adding freshly ground black pepper if desired.

I just added the Cooking Cream, chilies and some dried onion. It was okay
except for the sweetness and really I guess I don't like dairy in my soup.

Next time if I have creamed corn to get rid of I will just eat it straight
up.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

you might compare the pecans to almonds to see which gives better ntritinal
value/less carbs if she doesn't care for an also... i am not sure but could
you powder some gluton free oats to mix in with the nuts? Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> most berries are exchangable, not sure about the nuts, Lee

> Thanks! I wouldn't change the nuts seeing as how she doesn't like any
> nuts.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> you might compare the pecans to almonds to see which gives better
> ntritinal value/less carbs if she doesn't care for an also... i am not
> sure but could you powder some gluton free oats to mix in with the nuts?
> Lee

We're allergic to almonds and GF oats don't mix in like that. They're just
nasty unless cooked. I did try them in a no bake recipe. Pppppyuck!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> you might compare the pecans to almonds to see which gives better
>> ntritinal value/less carbs if she doesn't care for an also... i am
>> not sure but could you powder some gluton free oats to mix in with
>> the nuts? Lee

> We're allergic to almonds and GF oats don't mix in like that. They're
> just nasty unless cooked. I did try them in a no bake recipe.
> Pppppyuck!

I think she meant to powder them. My son's room mate makes a smoothie
after the gym with, amongst other things, raw oats. Its not smooth He
drinks it and then eats the last of the oats out of the bottom of the
glass.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>>> you might compare the pecans to almonds to see which gives better
>>> ntritinal value/less carbs if she doesn't care for an also... i am not
>>> sure but could you powder some gluton free oats to mix in with the nuts?
>>> Lee

>> We're allergic to almonds and GF oats don't mix in like that. They're
>> just nasty unless cooked. I did try them in a no bake recipe. Pppppyuck!

> I think she meant to powder them. My son's room mate makes a smoothie
> after the gym with, amongst other things, raw oats. Its not smooth He
> drinks it and then eats the last of the oats out of the bottom of the
> glass.

I did try that but they are just awful when raw. They just suck up whatever
moisture is in there and you wind up with a starchy, sticky mess that
doesn't taste good at all.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

haven't ever had the oats, but thats good to know, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> you might compare the pecans to almonds to see which gives better
>> ntritinal value/less carbs if she doesn't care for an also... i am not
>> sure but could you powder some gluton free oats to mix in with the nuts?
>> Lee

> We're allergic to almonds and GF oats don't mix in like that. They're
> just nasty unless cooked. I did try them in a no bake recipe. Pppppyuck!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 8/7/2011 1:35 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> I found this recipe that might work for Angela.
>
> http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/des...rrysquares.htm
>
> She doesn't like pecans but if I don't tell her they are in there she might
> not notice. I have tricked my brother with them countless times. He says
> he won't eat anything that looks like a brain and that includes cauliflower,
> walnuts and pecans. Anyway...
>
> She *really* doesn't like raspberries. She will eat strawberries in some
> things provided there are not large chunks of fruit.
>
> Do you think this would work with strawberries instead of raspberries? I
> would have to cut them up pretty finely and perhaps put slices on the top.
> She would probably pick off the slices.
>
> Too bad it does contain dairy but it doesn't contain eggs so even I could
> eat it.
>
> I bought her a gluten free strawberry cheesecake for her birthday and she
> loved it but it isn't your typical strawberry cheesecake. There were no
> whole or even chopped berries in it. There were just dark pink swirls.
>
> Thanks!

Would it help to run the strawberries through a food processor so
that they become dark pink swirls also?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Robert Miles" > wrote in message
.com...
> On 8/7/2011 1:35 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I found this recipe that might work for Angela.
>>
>> http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/des...rrysquares.htm
>>
>> She doesn't like pecans but if I don't tell her they are in there she
>> might
>> not notice. I have tricked my brother with them countless times. He
>> says
>> he won't eat anything that looks like a brain and that includes
>> cauliflower,
>> walnuts and pecans. Anyway...
>>
>> She *really* doesn't like raspberries. She will eat strawberries in some
>> things provided there are not large chunks of fruit.
>>
>> Do you think this would work with strawberries instead of raspberries? I
>> would have to cut them up pretty finely and perhaps put slices on the
>> top.
>> She would probably pick off the slices.
>>
>> Too bad it does contain dairy but it doesn't contain eggs so even I could
>> eat it.
>>
>> I bought her a gluten free strawberry cheesecake for her birthday and she
>> loved it but it isn't your typical strawberry cheesecake. There were no
>> whole or even chopped berries in it. There were just dark pink swirls.
>>
>> Thanks!

> Would it help to run the strawberries through a food processor so
> that they become dark pink swirls also?

I did do that but she said I put too many berries in. I liked the nut crust
and the strawberries themselves but I didn't like the Jell-O part. Not
surprising since I like neither Jell-O nor cream cheese. I don't think I
will try it again though because I became very sick to my stomach today. I
don't know if that was the problem or not.

Angela only liked the Jell-O part but not the strawberry taste of it. I
will say those berries were VERY sweet!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

W. Baker wrote:
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>> I found this recipe that might work for Angela.

>> I bought her a gluten free strawberry cheesecake for her birthday
>> and she loved it but it isn't your typical strawberry cheesecake.
>> There were no whole or even chopped berries in it. There were just
>> dark pink swirls.

>> Thanks!

> gluten free cheesecake is easy to make. Jus use a grond nut crust in
> place of graham crackers and replace any tbs of flour with cornsarch,
> us Splenda or other artificial sweetener of your choice. I find lemon
> juice and scraped peel adds flavor. Doesn't need any berries at all.
> I does use a fair amount of cream cheese(I use the lower fat kind)
> and calls fo eggs for a custardy texture might work with egg replcer.
>
> Wendy

In my favorite cheesecake recipe, one can use either three whole eggs plus a
small amount of cornstarch OR six egg yolks.