Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Besan flour

I was in the only Indian market in my area yesterday, stocking up on fresh
curry leaves, and fell into conversation with the proprietor. We discussed
Indian breads, which I used to make from chapati flour, and I told her that
I was looking for lower carb/higher fiber alternatives. She pointed out
Besan flour, which is ground chana dal. She said that it can be used to
make pakoras and similar items, although not naan, poori, or other typically
wheat-based breads. She said she like to try to control her fat intake, so
that rather than making pakoras--which are deep fried, for those who are not
familiar with them--she more often uses it to make something that is roughly
similar to a savory pancake/crepe or a thin frittata. She said to mix up a
batter of besan flour and water to whatever consistency works, and stir in
minced onion and other diced/minced vegetables, S&P and perhaps some spices,
then fry in a skillet. She eats this with Indian condiments such as mint or
coriander chutney, yogurt raita, and so forth. (Tzatziki sauce would be
great, I think.) I bought a bag, and am looking forward to giving it a
whirl.

BTW, she said that no eggs are required in the batter: you are basically
using the besan flour instead of egg, if you think of it as a frittata.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet > wrote:
[...]

How would this be for "breading" meats, etc that ou don't want to fuly
batter like with the pancake mix?

Wendy-looking for new food adventures like floured chicken cutlets.
Wow!"-)

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"W. Baker" > wrote:

> Janet > wrote:
> : I was in the only Indian market in my area yesterday, stocking up on fresh
> : curry leaves, and fell into conversation with the proprietor. We discussed
> : Indian breads, which I used to make from chapati flour, and I told her that
> : I was looking for lower carb/higher fiber alternatives. She pointed out
> : Besan flour, which is ground chana dal. She said that it can be used to
> : make pakoras and similar items, although not naan, poori, or other
> : typically
> : wheat-based breads. She said she like to try to control her fat intake, so
> : that rather than making pakoras--which are deep fried, for those who are
> : not
> : familiar with them--she more often uses it to make something that is
> : roughly
> : similar to a savory pancake/crepe or a thin frittata. She said to mix up a
> : batter of besan flour and water to whatever consistency works, and stir in
> : minced onion and other diced/minced vegetables, S&P and perhaps some
> : spices,
> : then fry in a skillet. She eats this with Indian condiments such as mint or
> : coriander chutney, yogurt raita, and so forth. (Tzatziki sauce would be
> : great, I think.) I bought a bag, and am looking forward to giving it a
> : whirl.
>
> : BTW, she said that no eggs are required in the batter: you are basically
> : using the besan flour instead of egg, if you think of it as a frittata.
>
> How would this be for "breading" meats, etc that ou don't want to fuly
> batter like with the pancake mix?
>
> Wendy-looking for new food adventures like floured chicken cutlets.
> Wow!"-)

There is a cauliflower dish in my favorite Indian restaurant in which
the florets are deep fried in a batter that sounds like this and then
tossed in a spicy tomato sauce. The "breading" is heavier than, say, a
tempura, but much more bg-friendly.

--
"Isn't embarrassing to quote something you didn't read and then attack
what it didn't say?"--WG, where else but Usenet
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 7/21/2011 5:25 PM, Alice Faber wrote:

> There is a cauliflower dish in my favorite Indian restaurant in which
> the florets are deep fried in a batter that sounds like this and then
> tossed in a spicy tomato sauce. The "breading" is heavier than, say, a
> tempura, but much more bg-friendly.

Yes! That is a very nice dish. I've seen it with a butter curry type
sauce as well. I guess there could be many sauce variations, but the
base cauliflower battered and deep fried would be the same. The dish
i'm thinking of isn't oily either, very light and very nice.

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Tiger Lily wrote:
> On 7/21/2011 5:25 PM, Alice Faber wrote:
>
>> There is a cauliflower dish in my favorite Indian restaurant in which
>> the florets are deep fried in a batter that sounds like this and then
>> tossed in a spicy tomato sauce. The "breading" is heavier than, say,
>> a tempura, but much more bg-friendly.
>>

> Yes! That is a very nice dish. I've seen it with a butter curry type
> sauce as well. I guess there could be many sauce variations, but the
> base cauliflower battered and deep fried would be the same. The dish
> i'm thinking of isn't oily either, very light and very nice.
>
> kate

I have a head of cauliflower, and I might try that tonight!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet wrote:
> Tiger Lily wrote:
>> On 7/21/2011 5:25 PM, Alice Faber wrote:
>>
>>> There is a cauliflower dish in my favorite Indian restaurant in
>>> which the florets are deep fried in a batter that sounds like this
>>> and then tossed in a spicy tomato sauce. The "breading" is heavier
>>> than, say, a tempura, but much more bg-friendly.
>>>

>> Yes! That is a very nice dish. I've seen it with a butter curry
>> type sauce as well. I guess there could be many sauce variations,
>> but the base cauliflower battered and deep fried would be the same. The
>> dish i'm thinking of isn't oily either, very light and very nice.
>>
>> kate

> I have a head of cauliflower, and I might try that tonight!

Instead of the cauliflower, I made "pancakes" with about 5 cups grated
zucchini, 1 each diced red and yellow peppers, a few TBS of chopped
cilantro, and spices including about 1 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp chipotle pepper,
1/2 tsp turmeric, and 1 tsp homemade Madras curry powder. And about 1 tsp
salt and some fresh ground black pepper. To this I added slightly over a cup
of besan flour and stirred well. The liquid from the zucchini was enough,
with no added water. (I actually started with a cup, and then added a little
more. It probably wasn't necessary.)

Fried in olive oil in a cast iron skillet for 5 min per side, according to
the suggestion I found in a recipe on the internet. We had them with
tzatziki sauce. Delicious!

I don't know what it did to my BG, since I'm out of test strips until the
prescription renewal goes through on Monday, but it was crispy and very
flavorful, less carby than 2 ounces of dry Plus pasta, with just enough
"batter" to hold together the vegetables into a cake.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet > wrote:
: Janet wrote:
: > Tiger Lily wrote:
: >> On 7/21/2011 5:25 PM, Alice Faber wrote:
: >>
: >>> There is a cauliflower dish in my favorite Indian restaurant in
: >>> which the florets are deep fried in a batter that sounds like this
: >>> and then tossed in a spicy tomato sauce. The "breading" is heavier
: >>> than, say, a tempura, but much more bg-friendly.
: >>>
: >>
: >> Yes! That is a very nice dish. I've seen it with a butter curry
: >> type sauce as well. I guess there could be many sauce variations,
: >> but the base cauliflower battered and deep fried would be the same. The
: >> dish i'm thinking of isn't oily either, very light and very nice.
: >>
: >> kate
: >
[...]

Oh, my, but that sounds good! It does remind me of many years ao when my
daughter had to fin ways to get her daughter to eat vegetables(green was
clearly poison). She would make cauliflower pancakes in batter and serve
with regular pancake syrup. I wouldn't sugggest those for any of us:-)

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 7/24/2011 10:50 AM, W. Baker wrote:
> > wrote:
> : Janet wrote:
> :> Tiger Lily wrote:
> :>> On 7/21/2011 5:25 PM, Alice Faber wrote:
> :>>
> :>>> There is a cauliflower dish in my favorite Indian restaurant in
> :>>> which the florets are deep fried in a batter that sounds like this
> :>>> and then tossed in a spicy tomato sauce. The "breading" is heavier
> :>>> than, say, a tempura, but much more bg-friendly.
> :>>>
> :>>
> :>> Yes! That is a very nice dish. I've seen it with a butter curry
> :>> type sauce as well. I guess there could be many sauce variations,
> :>> but the base cauliflower battered and deep fried would be the same. The
> :>> dish i'm thinking of isn't oily either, very light and very nice.
> :>>
> :>> kate
> :>
> :> I have a head of cauliflower, and I might try that tonight!
>
> : Instead of the cauliflower, I made "pancakes" with about 5 cups grated
> : zucchini, 1 each diced red and yellow peppers, a few TBS of chopped
> : cilantro, and spices including about 1 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp chipotle pepper,
> : 1/2 tsp turmeric, and 1 tsp homemade Madras curry powder. And about 1 tsp
> : salt and some fresh ground black pepper. To this I added slightly over a cup
> : of besan flour and stirred well. The liquid from the zucchini was enough,
> : with no added water. (I actually started with a cup, and then added a little
> : more. It probably wasn't necessary.)
>
> : Fried in olive oil in a cast iron skillet for 5 min per side, according to
> : the suggestion I found in a recipe on the internet. We had them with
> : tzatziki sauce. Delicious!
>
> : I don't know what it did to my BG, since I'm out of test strips until the
> : prescription renewal goes through on Monday, but it was crispy and very
> : flavorful, less carby than 2 ounces of dry Plus pasta, with just enough
> : "batter" to hold together the vegetables into a cake.
>
> Oh, my, but that sounds good! It does remind me of many years ao when my
> daughter had to fin ways to get her daughter to eat vegetables(green was
> clearly poison). She would make cauliflower pancakes in batter and serve
> with regular pancake syrup. I wouldn't sugggest those for any of us:-)
>
> Wendy

kidlet loved plum sauce on all of his food

it was hard to break that habit, but he now laughs at himself

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> [...]
>> until the
>> : prescription renewal goes through on Monday, but it was crispy and
>> very
>> : flavorful, less carby than 2 ounces of dry Plus pasta, with just
>> enough
>> : "batter" to hold together the vegetables into a cake.
>>
>> Oh, my, but that sounds good! It does remind me of many years ao
>> when my
>> daughter had to fin ways to get her daughter to eat vegetables(green
>> was
>> clearly poison). She would make cauliflower pancakes in batter and
>> serve
>> with regular pancake syrup. I wouldn't sugggest those for any of
>> us:-)
>>
>> Wendy
>>

> kidlet loved plum sauce on all of his food
>
> it was hard to break that habit, but he now laughs at himself

One of our friends' kids who also has Down syndrome has always liked "5
sauces". He must have his 5 sauces to dip food into He is 14 and
there is no indication he will ever stop with that He has tomato,
bbq, mayo, sweet chili and sweet n sour. He was quite distressed at my
house once when I could only produce 3 sauces, lol.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 7/25/2011 3:43 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

> [...]
>>> enough
>>> : "batter" to hold together the vegetables into a cake.
>>>
>>> Oh, my, but that sounds good! It does remind me of many years ao when my
>>> daughter had to fin ways to get her daughter to eat vegetables(green was
>>> clearly poison). She would make cauliflower pancakes in batter and serve
>>> with regular pancake syrup. I wouldn't sugggest those for any of us:-)
>>>
>>> Wendy
>>>

>> kidlet loved plum sauce on all of his food
>>
>> it was hard to break that habit, but he now laughs at himself

> One of our friends' kids who also has Down syndrome has always liked "5
> sauces". He must have his 5 sauces to dip food into He is 14 and
> there is no indication he will ever stop with that He has tomato,
> bbq, mayo, sweet chili and sweet n sour. He was quite distressed at my
> house once when I could only produce 3 sauces, lol.

Ranch Dressing dip, Italian Dressing dip,

????

or is he rigid on what consists of 'sauces'?

kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 7/25/2011 3:43 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

>>> kidlet loved plum sauce on all of his food
>>>
>>> it was hard to break that habit, but he now laughs at himself

>> One of our friends' kids who also has Down syndrome has always liked
>> "5
>> sauces". He must have his 5 sauces to dip food into He is 14 and
>> there is no indication he will ever stop with that He has tomato,
>> bbq, mayo, sweet chili and sweet n sour. He was quite distressed at
>> my
>> house once when I could only produce 3 sauces, lol.

> Ranch Dressing dip, Italian Dressing dip,
>
> ????
>
> or is he rigid on what consists of 'sauces'?

Quite rigid, as people with intellectual disabilities can tend to be
His mum has to pack the single serve ones when she travels away from
home. Like you get at McDonald's etc, lol.

Jasmine discovers new rituals all the time, lol. The latest is having
the sponge squeeze mop in a certain place in the bathroom while she
bathes, as well as the exhaust fan on, door shut, towel in a certain
place and her clean nappy on a certain part of the bathroom counter
She is not well at the moment but yesterday I had her carpet cleaned and
I heard noises after the carpet cleaner had gone and she was attempting
to get everything in her room back to exactly where it was before the
clean. I had to move her tv stand and plug in electrical plugs but I had
to keep stopping with each inch I moved the cupboard until she was
satisfied Then she jumped back into her bed and went to sleep with
the fan full on on her face (mid winter here!).

> kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 7/25/2011 10:52 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message

>>> One of our friends' kids who also has Down syndrome has always liked "5
>>> sauces". He must have his 5 sauces to dip food into He is 14 and
>>> there is no indication he will ever stop with that He has tomato,
>>> bbq, mayo, sweet chili and sweet n sour. He was quite distressed at my
>>> house once when I could only produce 3 sauces, lol.

>> Ranch Dressing dip, Italian Dressing dip,
>>
>> ????
>>
>> or is he rigid on what consists of 'sauces'?

> Quite rigid, as people with intellectual disabilities can tend to be
> His mum has to pack the single serve ones when she travels away from
> home. Like you get at McDonald's etc, lol.
>
> Jasmine discovers new rituals all the time, lol. The latest is having
> the sponge squeeze mop in a certain place in the bathroom while she
> bathes, as well as the exhaust fan on, door shut, towel in a certain
> place and her clean nappy on a certain part of the bathroom counter
> She is not well at the moment but yesterday I had her carpet cleaned and
> I heard noises after the carpet cleaner had gone and she was attempting
> to get everything in her room back to exactly where it was before the
> clean. I had to move her tv stand and plug in electrical plugs but I had
> to keep stopping with each inch I moved the cupboard until she was
> satisfied Then she jumped back into her bed and went to sleep with
> the fan full on on her face (mid winter here!).

oh, that's cute, Jan

Jazzy certainly knows what she wants! I think that's a good thing
(well, most of the time). You are a saint to work with her need for
exactness!

kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

the more I learn of Asperger's I realize my wife and I both have it
mildly..we both have rituals..tactile things and live inside our own heads
and especially as kids had all the signs.

as a kid I saw the world through a porthole and was often sent into fits if
drawn out from my own world.

I learned to function slightly better in society but even today work from
home etc to avoid people who I just dont "get"..lol

but I totally get her placement of things issue and I ALWAYS sleep with a
fan in my face but I also need to have a fan in every room of the house or
at least a air purifier..I need the white noise from them or else I'm not
comfortable...only rooms without a fan are the kitchen and bathroom which I
turn on the exhaust vents and the garage..lol

KROM

"Ozgirl" wrote ...

Quite rigid, as people with intellectual disabilities can tend to be
His mum has to pack the single serve ones when she travels away from
home. Like you get at McDonald's etc, lol.

Jasmine discovers new rituals all the time, lol. The latest is having
the sponge squeeze mop in a certain place in the bathroom while she
bathes, as well as the exhaust fan on, door shut, towel in a certain
place and her clean nappy on a certain part of the bathroom counter
She is not well at the moment but yesterday I had her carpet cleaned and
I heard noises after the carpet cleaner had gone and she was attempting
to get everything in her room back to exactly where it was before the
clean. I had to move her tv stand and plug in electrical plugs but I had
to keep stopping with each inch I moved the cupboard until she was
satisfied Then she jumped back into her bed and went to sleep with
the fan full on on her face (mid winter here!).

> kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 7/25/2011 10:52 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

>>> Ranch Dressing dip, Italian Dressing dip,
>>>
>>> ????
>>>
>>> or is he rigid on what consists of 'sauces'?

>> Quite rigid, as people with intellectual disabilities can tend to be
>>
>> His mum has to pack the single serve ones when she travels away from
>> home. Like you get at McDonald's etc, lol.
>>
>> Jasmine discovers new rituals all the time, lol. The latest is having
>> the sponge squeeze mop in a certain place in the bathroom while she
>> bathes, as well as the exhaust fan on, door shut, towel in a certain
>> place and her clean nappy on a certain part of the bathroom counter
>>
>> She is not well at the moment but yesterday I had her carpet cleaned
>> and
>> I heard noises after the carpet cleaner had gone and she was
>> attempting
>> to get everything in her room back to exactly where it was before the
>> clean. I had to move her tv stand and plug in electrical plugs but I
>> had
>> to keep stopping with each inch I moved the cupboard until she was
>> satisfied Then she jumped back into her bed and went to sleep with
>> the fan full on on her face (mid winter here!).

> oh, that's cute, Jan
>
> Jazzy certainly knows what she wants! I think that's a good thing
> (well, most of the time). You are a saint to work with her need for
> exactness!

I think I earned sainthood today The carpet clean was done less than
48 hours ago. I checked on her at midnight and she was snoring away
happily, I went in at 6.30 to wake her this morning and still snoring
but an overwhelming smell of urine in the room. Checked the bed, not
that so no leaky overnight nappy. Sniffed around and two sections of the
carpet reeked Turns out I woke her for nothing, still had the full on
snotty nose but there I was at 6.30 am washing the carpet with vinegar
and water. My first thoughts were she was marking her territory But
surely not....?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ozgirl wrote:
> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message

>>> Quite rigid, as people with intellectual disabilities can tend to be
>>>
>>> His mum has to pack the single serve ones when she travels away from
>>> home. Like you get at McDonald's etc, lol.
>>>
>>> Jasmine discovers new rituals all the time, lol. The latest is
>>> having the sponge squeeze mop in a certain place in the bathroom
>>> while she bathes, as well as the exhaust fan on, door shut, towel
>>> in a certain place and her clean nappy on a certain part of the
>>> bathroom counter
>>> She is not well at the moment but yesterday I had her carpet cleaned
>>> and
>>> I heard noises after the carpet cleaner had gone and she was
>>> attempting
>>> to get everything in her room back to exactly where it was before
>>> the clean. I had to move her tv stand and plug in electrical plugs
>>> but I had
>>> to keep stopping with each inch I moved the cupboard until she was
>>> satisfied Then she jumped back into her bed and went to sleep
>>> with the fan full on on her face (mid winter here!).

>> oh, that's cute, Jan
>>
>> Jazzy certainly knows what she wants! I think that's a good thing
>> (well, most of the time). You are a saint to work with her need for
>> exactness!

> I think I earned sainthood today The carpet clean was done less
> than 48 hours ago. I checked on her at midnight and she was snoring
> away happily, I went in at 6.30 to wake her this morning and still
> snoring but an overwhelming smell of urine in the room. Checked the
> bed, not that so no leaky overnight nappy. Sniffed around and two
> sections of the carpet reeked Turns out I woke her for nothing,
> still had the full on snotty nose but there I was at 6.30 am washing
> the carpet with vinegar and water. My first thoughts were she was
> marking her territory But surely not....?

Oh no! Maybe she didn't want the carpet cleaned?

I had terrible trouble with Angela for a while. She learned to take the
diaper off but she refused to pee in the toilet. She would just squat
either on the couch or in a corner of the room. Why she picked those places
I do not know. The couch was horrible. I had to take the cushions off,
take them outside and rinse them for hours with the garden hose. They took
weeks to dry in the sun.

Then later after she did know to use the toilet, I had different problems.
She would just refuse to go, saying she didn't have to. This wound up
causing medical problems. She was very stubborn and it was a control thing.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
> Ozgirl wrote:

>>> oh, that's cute, Jan
>>>
>>> Jazzy certainly knows what she wants! I think that's a good thing
>>> (well, most of the time). You are a saint to work with her need for
>>> exactness!

>> I think I earned sainthood today The carpet clean was done less
>> than 48 hours ago. I checked on her at midnight and she was snoring
>> away happily, I went in at 6.30 to wake her this morning and still
>> snoring but an overwhelming smell of urine in the room. Checked the
>> bed, not that so no leaky overnight nappy. Sniffed around and two
>> sections of the carpet reeked Turns out I woke her for nothing,
>> still had the full on snotty nose but there I was at 6.30 am washing
>> the carpet with vinegar and water. My first thoughts were she was
>> marking her territory But surely not....?

> Oh no! Maybe she didn't want the carpet cleaned?
>
> I had terrible trouble with Angela for a while. She learned to take
> the diaper off but she refused to pee in the toilet. She would just
> squat either on the couch or in a corner of the room. Why she picked
> those places I do not know. The couch was horrible. I had to take
> the cushions off, take them outside and rinse them for hours with the
> garden hose. They took weeks to dry in the sun.
>
> Then later after she did know to use the toilet, I had different
> problems. She would just refuse to go, saying she didn't have to. This
> wound up causing medical problems. She was very stubborn and it
> was a control thing.

It does seem that little kids realize all too well that the two things they
can control are their intake and their output!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"KROM" > wrote in message
> the more I learn of Asperger's I realize my wife and I both have it
> mildly..we both have rituals..tactile things and live inside our own
> heads and especially as kids had all the signs.
>
> as a kid I saw the world through a porthole and was often sent into
> fits if drawn out from my own world.
>
> I learned to function slightly better in society but even today work
> from home etc to avoid people who I just dont "get"..lol
>
> but I totally get her placement of things issue and I ALWAYS sleep
> with a fan in my face but I also need to have a fan in every room of
> the house or at least a air purifier..I need the white noise from them
> or else I'm not comfortable...only rooms without a fan are the kitchen
> and bathroom which I turn on the exhaust vents and the garage..lol
>
> KROM

I need white noise too. Conversely, in our QLD summers this kid turns
her fan off! I read once that all human beings have some degree of
autism. True or not, I cannot say Most people with Asperger's sees to
function quite well in society - outsiders quite often can't tell.
Autism (of any degree) is quite common in people with intellectual
disabilities and Jazz hit the jackpot So she has the intellectual
disability that goes with Down syndrome (in her case she is quite low
functioning compared to most other people with DS these days, but a
whole lot higher functioning than DS adults I worked with 20 or so years
ago. Early intervention and therapies have made a big difference) plus
she has a degree of autism.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ozgirl wrote:
> "KROM" > wrote in message
>> the more I learn of Asperger's I realize my wife and I both have it
>> mildly..we both have rituals..tactile things and live inside our own
>> heads and especially as kids had all the signs.
>>
>> as a kid I saw the world through a porthole and was often sent into
>> fits if drawn out from my own world.
>>
>> I learned to function slightly better in society but even today work
>> from home etc to avoid people who I just don't "get"..lol
>>
>> but I totally get her placement of things issue and I ALWAYS sleep
>> with a fan in my face but I also need to have a fan in every room of
>> the house or at least a air purifier..I need the white noise from
>> them or else I'm not comfortable...only rooms without a fan are the
>> kitchen and bathroom which I turn on the exhaust vents and the
>> garage..lol KROM

> I need white noise too. Conversely, in our QLD summers this kid turns
> her fan off! I read once that all human beings have some degree of
> autism. True or not, I cannot say Most people with Asperger's sees
> to function quite well in society - outsiders quite often can't tell.
> Autism (of any degree) is quite common in people with intellectual
> disabilities and Jazz hit the jackpot So she has the intellectual
> disability that goes with Down syndrome (in her case she is quite low
> functioning compared to most other people with DS these days, but a
> whole lot higher functioning than DS adults I worked with 20 or so
> years ago. Early intervention and therapies have made a big
> difference) plus she has a degree of autism.

I can sleep through anything and while I really do dislike having a fan on,
sometimes it is necessary.

I hate going to movies because unless the movie is really riveting, I will
fall asleep in about the first 5 minutes. I was complaining to someone else
the other day about this (he has the same problem). I said there are so
many trailers and other things to waste our time that by the time the movie
starts I am ready for sleep.

I can not sit at home and watch TV either. That generally puts me to sleep.
I have to be doing something with my hands. Currently I use the computer.
In the days before the computer I had to be sketching or painting,
crocheting or even reading a book or magazine.

I seem to do better with distractions. At least for some things. When I did
homework, I needed to have the radio on. I'm sure the TV would have worked
just as well but in those days we had only one TV and my dad got use of it
most of the time. Plus I had to do homework in my room where I had only the
radio. If it was too quiet, I couldn't do the work.

Angela is just the opposite. She has difficulty going to sleep and she
can't do homework unless there is silence.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> Ozgirl wrote:

>>> oh, that's cute, Jan
>>>
>>> Jazzy certainly knows what she wants! I think that's a good thing
>>> (well, most of the time). You are a saint to work with her need for
>>> exactness!

>> I think I earned sainthood today The carpet clean was done less
>> than 48 hours ago. I checked on her at midnight and she was snoring
>> away happily, I went in at 6.30 to wake her this morning and still
>> snoring but an overwhelming smell of urine in the room. Checked the
>> bed, not that so no leaky overnight nappy. Sniffed around and two
>> sections of the carpet reeked Turns out I woke her for nothing,
>> still had the full on snotty nose but there I was at 6.30 am washing
>> the carpet with vinegar and water. My first thoughts were she was
>> marking her territory But surely not....?

> Oh no! Maybe she didn't want the carpet cleaned?
>
> I had terrible trouble with Angela for a while. She learned to take
> the diaper off but she refused to pee in the toilet. She would just
> squat either on the couch or in a corner of the room. Why she picked
> those places I do not know. The couch was horrible. I had to take
> the cushions off, take them outside and rinse them for hours with the
> garden hose. They took weeks to dry in the sun.
>
> Then later after she did know to use the toilet, I had different
> problems. She would just refuse to go, saying she didn't have to.
> This wound up causing medical problems. She was very stubborn and it
> was a control thing.

I have no idea what this child thinks. I just wish I could communicate
with her on something more than a basic level but I can't so that's
that. She uses the toilet, rarely has a poo accident, wears the nappy
like a security blanket but does need the nappy for bedtime. I really
wish I could find another house, one that has wooden floors. As it is
there is no way I could leave this house without having her room
recarpeted, I just wouldn't do it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ozgirl wrote:
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> Ozgirl wrote:

>>> I think I earned sainthood today The carpet clean was done less
>>> than 48 hours ago. I checked on her at midnight and she was snoring
>>> away happily, I went in at 6.30 to wake her this morning and still
>>> snoring but an overwhelming smell of urine in the room. Checked the
>>> bed, not that so no leaky overnight nappy. Sniffed around and two
>>> sections of the carpet reeked Turns out I woke her for nothing,
>>> still had the full on snotty nose but there I was at 6.30 am washing
>>> the carpet with vinegar and water. My first thoughts were she was
>>> marking her territory But surely not....?

>> Oh no! Maybe she didn't want the carpet cleaned?
>>
>> I had terrible trouble with Angela for a while. She learned to take
>> the diaper off but she refused to pee in the toilet. She would just
>> squat either on the couch or in a corner of the room. Why she picked
>> those places I do not know. The couch was horrible. I had to take
>> the cushions off, take them outside and rinse them for hours with the
>> garden hose. They took weeks to dry in the sun.
>>
>> Then later after she did know to use the toilet, I had different
>> problems. She would just refuse to go, saying she didn't have to.
>> This wound up causing medical problems. She was very stubborn and it
>> was a control thing.

> I have no idea what this child thinks. I just wish I could communicate
> with her on something more than a basic level but I can't so that's
> that. She uses the toilet, rarely has a poo accident, wears the nappy
> like a security blanket but does need the nappy for bedtime. I really
> wish I could find another house, one that has wooden floors. As it is
> there is no way I could leave this house without having her room
> recarpeted, I just wouldn't do it.

That's really tough. I too wanted wooden floors but here apparently they
are only in really old houses or really new. Nothing in the era I could
afford. Although they did put wood in the dining room when they remodeled.
I really hate carpet.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:
: Ozgirl wrote:
: >>>>>
[...]
: >>>>
: >>>> oh, that's cute, Jan
: >>>>
[...]

Can't you use vinyl tiles, linoleum or other florings rather than carpet
that wold clean easier?

I had that in my kids room when they were growign up. Itwas ever so much
better for building with blocks, playing wth trucks, plaing jacks, etc and
clened u like a breeze.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I think it is a protective thing when we are babies to tots so we dont
worry about what's going on around us in the world...makes sense that we
aren't ready as babies to worry about the lions outside the cave...

but as we become big enough and fast enough to run away or climb the tree
and take directions from grownups we turn outward more.

I think some of us just dont properly change for whatever reason.

as a kid I would never play with my toys..I would set them upon the floor
and go to a high point like on the bed or a dresser and the toys would play
themselves in my head I didnt need to move or touch them.

I was a quiet kid unless bothered..then I would have a fit..it was like
violence being done to me to be drawn away from whatever I was doing in my
head.

people demand to be paid attention to...so it was always a issue sadly.

I am amazed I was never diagnosed..although I was taken to a place and
knowing what I know of my mother she wouldnt stand for anyone but her being
the victim of anything that would distract from her getting attention.

it took me 40 years and the internet to look outside myself as much as I
do..but take the facebook games...they frustrated me so I will never play
them again ever and am just as happy being in my own head

online I'm fairly chatty if a topic or thing or person interests me but
offline people deem me antisocial and are creeped out that my wife and I
can go to a work picnic for example and be content to sit together under a
tree looking at the clouds...lol

it is tiring stressful work to socialize..we do it to function in society
but it isn't fun

KROM

"Ozgirl" wrote in message ...

"KROM" > wrote in message
> the more I learn of Asperger's I realize my wife and I both have it
> mildly..we both have rituals..tactile things and live inside our own heads
> and especially as kids had all the signs.
>
> as a kid I saw the world through a porthole and was often sent into fits
> if drawn out from my own world.
>
> I learned to function slightly better in society but even today work from
> home etc to avoid people who I just dont "get"..lol
>
> but I totally get her placement of things issue and I ALWAYS sleep with a
> fan in my face but I also need to have a fan in every room of the house or
> at least a air purifier..I need the white noise from them or else I'm not
> comfortable...only rooms without a fan are the kitchen and bathroom which
> I turn on the exhaust vents and the garage..lol
>
> KROM

I need white noise too. Conversely, in our QLD summers this kid turns
her fan off! I read once that all human beings have some degree of
autism. True or not, I cannot say Most people with Asperger's sees to
function quite well in society - outsiders quite often can't tell.
Autism (of any degree) is quite common in people with intellectual
disabilities and Jazz hit the jackpot So she has the intellectual
disability that goes with Down syndrome (in her case she is quite low
functioning compared to most other people with DS these days, but a
whole lot higher functioning than DS adults I worked with 20 or so years
ago. Early intervention and therapies have made a big difference) plus
she has a degree of autism.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

imagine your at a party having a great time..

the music's going...your dancing..getting massaged and your body feels
amazing...eating awesome food..bliss..

somebody is outside expecting you to notice them through the keyhole of the
door..

you have zero idea they are there nor do you care..

then all of a sudden you violently yanked out a window and thrown into a
swimming pool filled with freezing ice water..

once you become semi oriented to what's going on your told in a language you
only vaguely know or care about how your BAD for some offense such as using
the toilet wrong.

it is amazing they ever leave their happy places to interact with anyone at
all.

so value the little you get because you must be pretty amazing to get
noticed through the keyhole in the door at the party

:-)

KROM

"Ozgirl" wrote
I have no idea what this child thinks. I just wish I could communicate
with her on something more than a basic level but I can't so that's
that. She uses the toilet, rarely has a poo accident, wears the nappy
like a security blanket but does need the nappy for bedtime. I really
wish I could find another house, one that has wooden floors. As it is
there is no way I could leave this house without having her room
recarpeted, I just wouldn't do it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"KROM" > wrote in message
> I think it is a protective thing when we are babies to tots so we dont
> worry about what's going on around us in the world...makes sense that
> we aren't ready as babies to worry about the lions outside the cave...
>
> but as we become big enough and fast enough to run away or climb the
> tree and take directions from grownups we turn outward more.
>
> I think some of us just dont properly change for whatever reason.
>
> as a kid I would never play with my toys..I would set them upon the
> floor and go to a high point like on the bed or a dresser and the
> toys would play themselves in my head I didnt need to move or touch
> them.
>
> I was a quiet kid unless bothered..then I would have a fit..it was
> like violence being done to me to be drawn away from whatever I was
> doing in my head.
>
> people demand to be paid attention to...so it was always a issue
> sadly.
>
> I am amazed I was never diagnosed..although I was taken to a place and
> knowing what I know of my mother she wouldnt stand for anyone but her
> being the victim of anything that would distract from her getting
> attention.

Back in the day kids rarely got a special label. The family just
accepted the uniqueness of the kid and did their best. I hate labels
personally but at least in this day and age getting a label often means
getting some kind of outside help.

> it took me 40 years and the internet to look outside myself as much as
> I do..but take the facebook games...they frustrated me so I will never
> play them again ever and am just as happy being in my own head

You aren't the only one who has spat the Zynga dummy Always the best
givers too ...

> online I'm fairly chatty if a topic or thing or person interests me
> but offline people deem me antisocial and are creeped out that my
> wife and I can go to a work picnic for example and be content to sit
> together under a tree looking at the clouds...lol

> it is tiring stressful work to socialize..we do it to function in
> society but it isn't fun

Its not fun if it doesn't come naturally. Me, I love functions

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"KROM" > wrote in message
> imagine your at a party having a great time..
>
> the music's going...your dancing..getting massaged and your body feels
> amazing...eating awesome food..bliss..
>
> somebody is outside expecting you to notice them through the keyhole
> of the door..
>
> you have zero idea they are there nor do you care..
>
> then all of a sudden you violently yanked out a window and thrown into
> a swimming pool filled with freezing ice water..
>
> once you become semi oriented to what's going on your told in a
> language you only vaguely know or care about how your BAD for some
> offense such as using the toilet wrong.
>
> it is amazing they ever leave their happy places to interact with
> anyone at all.
>
> so value the little you get because you must be pretty amazing to get
> noticed through the keyhole in the door at the party
>
> :-)
>
> KROM

Did you make that up? If you did that could be a comforting analogy for
people whose kids have autism. I have always liked this one, a copy of
which was given to me when Jazz was a baby:

http://www.ndsccenter.org/resources/package1.php

"Holland by Emily Perl Kingsley

I am often asked to describe the experience of raising a child with a
disability - to try to help people who have not shared that unique
experience to understand it, to imagine how it would feel. It's like
this...

When you're going to have a baby, it's like planning a fabulous vacation
trip - to Italy. You buy a bunch of guide books and make your wonderful
plans. The coliseum. The Michelangelo David. The gondolas in Venice. You
may learn some handy phrases in Italian. It's all very exciting.

After months of eager anticipation, the day finally arrives. You pack
your bags and off you go. Several hours later, the plane lands. The
stewardess comes in and says, "Welcome To Holland".

"Holland?!?" you say, "What do you mean "Holland"??? I signed up for
Italy! I'm supposed to be in Italy. All my life I've dreamed of going to
Italy"

But there's been a change in the flight plan. They've landed in Holland
and there you must stay.

The important thing is that they haven't taken you to a horrible,
disgusting, filthy place, full of pestilence, famine and disease. It's
just a different place.

So you must go and buy new guide books. And you must learn a whole new
language. And you will meet a whole new group of people you would never
have met.

It's just a different place. It's slower-paced than Italy, less flashy
than Italy. But after you've been there for a while and you catch your
breath, you look around.and you begin to notice that Holland has
windmills...Holland has tulips. Holland even has Rembrandts.

But everyone you know is busy coming and going from Italy...and they're
all bragging about what a wonderful time they had there. And for the
rest of your life, you will say "Yes that's where I was supposed to go.
That's what I had planned".

And the pain of that will never, ever, ever, ever go away...because the
loss of that dream is a very significant loss.

But...if you spend your life mourning the fact that you didn't get to
Italy, you may never be free to enjoy the very special, the very lovely
things...about Holland."

Member

This is a dish of cauliflower in my favorite Indian restaurant, where the flowers are fried in a batter that looks like this and then in a spicy tomato sauce. The breadcrumbs is heavier than, say, a tempura, but much more BG-friendly.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

thats was what it is like for me personally..was best way I could think to
describe it.

I am always angered by the fact people assume people with "disabilities"
aren't inside so are written off.

there's been many many stories of geniuses being found by accident because a
keyboard or a chart with words was in front of them.

one family assumed their kids was severely disabled and he wrote them a
angry letter on a pc about how cruel it was ..broke my heart.

so while we may think they cant see or hear or understand the fact is either
they dont care what's going on outside them or are so put off by how they
were treated they never come out.

worse they were written off so nobody ever tries to reach them in a way they
can be reached.

my friends uncle was locked away his entire life and treated like a moron
and all he had was seizures...so years of institutionalization later he acts
mentally disabled because he was never taught to read or write etc.

an online pals daughter only communicated through playing the sims..it was
really neat..she was a sassy self confident girl through her character..when
not playing your never know what she was thinking or that she could function
so "normally" virtually

so when I see disabled people baby talked to it makes me mad

KROM

"Ozgirl" wrote in message ...

"KROM" > wrote in message
> [...]

have met.

It's just a different place. It's slower-paced than Italy, less flashy
than Italy. But after you've been there for a while and you catch your
breath, you look around.and you begin to notice that Holland has
windmills...Holland has tulips. Holland even has Rembrandts.

But everyone you know is busy coming and going from Italy...and they're
all bragging about what a wonderful time they had there. And for the
rest of your life, you will say "Yes that's where I was supposed to go.
That's what I had planned".

And the pain of that will never, ever, ever, ever go away...because the
loss of that dream is a very significant loss.

But...if you spend your life mourning the fact that you didn't get to
Italy, you may never be free to enjoy the very special, the very lovely

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

agree 100 percent!

not read that book but will

interesting connection to vitamins..we are a amazing machine that hold so
may mysteries as to why things work or dont..has always interested me.

KROM

"Susan" wrote
Shit, it makes me mad when people talk down to or disrespect children
without disabilities, too, as if they're not people, yet expect respect
just for having attained age themselves.

Have you read "Nobody Nowhere" and "Somebody Somewhere" by Donna
Williams? The first is a real primer for anyone who needs to know how to
meet an autistic person where *they* are and how to respond to what
seems inexplicable.

Interesting to note that there are endocrine abnormalities in autistics,
low cortisol compared to non autistic children, for instance, and IIRC,
vitamin D, a type of steroid, is useful for them as treatment.

Susan

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Well, today I had the zucchini pancake with besam flour again. Put my BG up
to 183 from 98. I guess I won't be having that again...at least not as a
meal. So much for those healthy carbs.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Sometimes its just carbs are carbs...

"Janet" > wrote in message

> Well, today I had the zucchini pancake with besam flour again. Put my
> BG up to 183 from 98. I guess I won't be having that again...at least
> not as a meal. So much for those healthy carbs.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ozgirl wrote:
> Sometimes its just carbs are carbs...

Too true.

The amount I had should have been no more than 30gms of carb from the flour,
plus whatever is in the vegetables and a couple tablespoons of tzatziki
sauce, which is negligible. Actually less than that found in 2 oz of high
protein Plus pasta, and that doesn't put me at that high a level. (Or at
least it didn't. I haven't had it in quite a while.)

Of course, the zucchini/pepper pancake contains only the small amount of
olive oil used to fry it and no meat, while the pasta I usually had with a
couple of crumbled, cooked, and drained Italian sausages in addition to
olive oil, garlic, and broccoli rabe. Perhaps the presence of the meat, even
though modest, did serve to slow down the carbs, as it's supposed to.

I'm disappointed, because I did love this dish as a meal, but I'll probably
try it again as a side dish with a piece of chicken or fish.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I suspect that I have some degree of Asperger's as well.

Didn't interfere with my career as an electronic engineer, though -
I worked better with computers than with people.

Robert

On 7/26/2011 1:06 PM, KROM wrote:
> the more I learn of Asperger's I realize my wife and I both have it
> mildly..we both have rituals..tactile things and live inside our own
> heads and especially as kids had all the signs.
>
> as a kid I saw the world through a porthole and was often sent into fits
> if drawn out from my own world.
>
> I learned to function slightly better in society but even today work
> from home etc to avoid people who I just dont "get"..lol
>
> but I totally get her placement of things issue and I ALWAYS sleep with
> a fan in my face but I also need to have a fan in every room of the
> house or at least a air purifier..I need the white noise from them or
> else I'm not comfortable...only rooms without a fan are the kitchen and
> bathroom which I turn on the exhaust vents and the garage..lol
>
> KROM
>

> "Ozgirl" wrote ...
>
> Quite rigid, as people with intellectual disabilities can tend to be
> His mum has to pack the single serve ones when she travels away from
> home. Like you get at McDonald's etc, lol.
>
> Jasmine discovers new rituals all the time, lol. The latest is having
> the sponge squeeze mop in a certain place in the bathroom while she
> bathes, as well as the exhaust fan on, door shut, towel in a certain
> place and her clean nappy on a certain part of the bathroom counter
> She is not well at the moment but yesterday I had her carpet cleaned and
> I heard noises after the carpet cleaner had gone and she was attempting
> to get everything in her room back to exactly where it was before the
> clean. I had to move her tv stand and plug in electrical plugs but I had
> to keep stopping with each inch I moved the cupboard until she was
> satisfied Then she jumped back into her bed and went to sleep with
> the fan full on on her face (mid winter here!).
>>
>> kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 7/26/2011 8:16 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> Ozgirl wrote:
>> > wrote in message

[snip]
> I hate going to movies because unless the movie is really riveting, I will
> fall asleep in about the first 5 minutes. I was complaining to someone else
> the other day about this (he has the same problem). I said there are so
> many trailers and other things to waste our time that by the time the movie
> starts I am ready for sleep.
>
> I can not sit at home and watch TV either. That generally puts me to sleep.
> I have to be doing something with my hands. Currently I use the computer.
> In the days before the computer I had to be sketching or painting,
> crocheting or even reading a book or magazine.

I have a different problem with movies and most TV.
I initially understand what is said, but most actors
talk so fast that what they say doesn't move
successfully from my short-term memory to my
long-term memory, so I usually forget most of what
was said about a minute later.

Robert
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I think many of us labeled shy or loner have some form of it.

I would wager good money many of the tech giants have it..being able to
follow a live circuit or program in ones mind the way they do..

many speculate mark zuckerburg has it.

the new scyfy channels show alphas has a interesting take on it which I wont
spoil but two main characters have it.

like I said I can sit in a empty room alone and be content..I know people
who that would be torture...one friend of mine needs a person around them
24/7 and are never alone or with silence ever...to me that would be torture.

KROM

. com...

On 7/26/2011 1:06 PM, KROM wrote:
> the more I learn of Asperger's I realize my wife and I both have it
> mildly..we both have rituals..tactile things and live inside our own
> heads and especially as kids had all the signs.
>
> as a kid I saw the world through a porthole and was often sent into fits
> if drawn out from my own world.
>
> I learned to function slightly better in society but even today work
> from home etc to avoid people who I just dont "get"..lol
>
> but I totally get her placement of things issue and I ALWAYS sleep with
> a fan in my face but I also need to have a fan in every room of the
> house or at least a air purifier..I need the white noise from them or
> else I'm not comfortable...only rooms without a fan are the kitchen and
> bathroom which I turn on the exhaust vents and the garage..lol
>
> KROM
>

> "Ozgirl" wrote ...
>
> Quite rigid, as people with intellectual disabilities can tend to be
> His mum has to pack the single serve ones when she travels away from
> home. Like you get at McDonald's etc, lol.
>
> Jasmine discovers new rituals all the time, lol. The latest is having
> the sponge squeeze mop in a certain place in the bathroom while she
> bathes, as well as the exhaust fan on, door shut, towel in a certain
> place and her clean nappy on a certain part of the bathroom counter
> She is not well at the moment but yesterday I had her carpet cleaned and
> I heard noises after the carpet cleaner had gone and she was attempting
> to get everything in her room back to exactly where it was before the
> clean. I had to move her tv stand and plug in electrical plugs but I had
> to keep stopping with each inch I moved the cupboard until she was
> satisfied Then she jumped back into her bed and went to sleep with
> the fan full on on her face (mid winter here!).
>>
>> kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

when I was a kid I would watch a movie or tv show on a delay in my head..if
it wasnt interesting I would "enhance it" in my mind..giving it better
effects etc.

so now as a adult re viewing these old movies and shows I am bitterly
disappointed..lol

I still do it sometimes..where if the show stinks I will "watch it" in my
head how I would have liked it.

for example I cant watch American idol because i need to always make them
sing better in my head...lol

KROM

"Robert Miles" wrote

uses for Besan Timo General Cooking 0 13-04-2013 09:15 PM
corn flour versus wheat flour Sky General Cooking 0 11-05-2009 06:22 PM
corn flour versus wheat flour sf[_9_] General Cooking 10 10-05-2009 06:33 PM
corn flour versus wheat flour jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 0 10-05-2009 12:15 PM
corn flour versus wheat flour Janet Wilder[_1_] General Cooking 0 10-05-2009 04:50 AM