Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default lunch

My hubby wants to bring lunch to work. He is a newbie and trying to
figure out lo-carb meals, especially for lunch. He cannot bring salads
and was thinking more about sandwichs. Any suggestions?
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ingebird" > wrote in message
> My hubby wants to bring lunch to work. He is a newbie and trying to
> figure out lo-carb meals, especially for lunch. He cannot bring salads
> and was thinking more about sandwichs. Any suggestions?

Sandwiches are not low carb unless you put them on low carb bread or use low
carb wraps. Or you can simply wrap the filling in large lettuce leaves.

There is also something called a gorilla sandwich. You can buy them in some
locations. I think maybe Whole Foods sells them. Or you can make them at
home. Take a cucumber, cut off one end then hollow it out as best you can.
I have never tried this but have heard that an iced tea spoon works well.
You can save the hollowed out cucumber, chop it and put it in the sandwich
filling. The best fillings for this would be something like an egg, chicken
or tuna salad. Fill up the cucumber and wrap in plastic.

There are also low carb things that are not sandwiches like cheese and meat
cubes, hard boiled eggs and nuts.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ingebird" > wrote in message
> My hubby wants to bring lunch to work. He is a newbie and trying to
> figure out lo-carb meals, especially for lunch. He cannot bring salads
> and was thinking more about sandwichs. Any suggestions?

First up, why can't he bring salads? In the meantime you can make
frittatas, hard boiled eggs, small amounts of nuts, small cans of
tuna.... Is the salad definitely a no no? Because salad with cold meats
etc or cut up raw veggies are ideal low carb meals. I wouldn't recommend
sandwiches at all if he wants to gain control.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ingebird > wrote:
: My hubby wants to bring lunch to work. He is a newbie and trying to
: figure out lo-carb meals, especially for lunch. He cannot bring salads
: and was thinking more about sandwichs. Any suggestions?

Check out low carb breads, tortilas, wraps and pita. They can be used for
sandwiches but be careful aobut wet fillings as they have less strength
than regular breads and rolls.

Other suggestions-hard boiled eggs, small quarters of bakes or broiled
chicken(make a few extra pieces when making dinner) Take a green pepper
and cut off the top and remove the seeds and stuff, but keep whole. Stuff
it tuna, egg salad, cottage cheese with some flavoring in it like sarroway
seeds, dried onion flakes, etc, If there is a microwave at work, a
container of some left over dinner main course to heat up quickly.

Good luck with this project.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, "Julie Bove" >
wrote:

> Sandwiches are not low carb unless you put them on low carb bread or use low
> carb wraps. Or you can simply wrap the filling in large lettuce leaves.

don't you ever have anything nice to say?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" > wrote:
: In article >, "Julie Bove" >
: wrote:

: > Sandwiches are not low carb unless you put them on low carb bread or
use low : > carb wraps. Or you can simply wrap the filling in large
lettuce leaves.

: don't you ever have anything nice to say?

Like what? sandwiches on regular bread are OK? I don't see anything no
"nice" about this post of Julie's. I suggest you desensitize yourself to
seeing her name on a post.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message
> In article >, "Julie Bove"
> >
> wrote:
>
>> Sandwiches are not low carb unless you put them on low carb bread or use
>> low
>> carb wraps. Or you can simply wrap the filling in large lettuce leaves.

> don't you ever have anything nice to say?

How is that not nice?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" > wrote:
> : In article >, "Julie Bove"
> >
> : wrote:
>
> : > Sandwiches are not low carb unless you put them on low carb bread or
> use low : > carb wraps. Or you can simply wrap the filling in large
> lettuce leaves.
>
> : don't you ever have anything nice to say?
>
> Like what? sandwiches on regular bread are OK? I don't see anything no
> "nice" about this post of Julie's. I suggest you desensitize yourself to
> seeing her name on a post.

Yeah. He is making it his career to take pot shots at me no matter what I
say.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "W. Baker" > wrote in message
>> "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" > wrote:
>> : In article >, "Julie Bove"
>> >
>> : wrote:
>>
>> : > Sandwiches are not low carb unless you put them on low carb bread
>> or
>> use low : > carb wraps. Or you can simply wrap the filling in large
>> lettuce leaves.
>>
>> : don't you ever have anything nice to say?
>>
>> Like what? sandwiches on regular bread are OK? I don't see anything
>> no
>> "nice" about this post of Julie's. I suggest you desensitize
>> yourself to
>> seeing her name on a post.

> Yeah. He is making it his career to take pot shots at me no matter
> what I say.

It only manages to make him look like a fool.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in
> message
>> In article >, "Julie Bove"
>> >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Sandwiches are not low carb unless you put them on low carb bread or
>>> use low
>>> carb wraps. Or you can simply wrap the filling in large lettuce
>>> leaves.

>> don't you ever have anything nice to say?

> How is that not nice?

Trolls don't need a reason for the things they say, that's why they are
trolls. Moving along.....

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, "Julie Bove" >
wrote:

> "Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message
> > In article >, "Julie Bove"
> > >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Sandwiches are not low carb unless you put them on low carb bread or use
> >> low
> >> carb wraps. Or you can simply wrap the filling in large lettuce leaves.

> > don't you ever have anything nice to say?

> How is that not nice?

The same way that my suggesting that unless you fed your cat a premium dry food
you were looking to get a diabetic cat wasn't nice
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, "Julie Bove" >
wrote:

> "W. Baker" > wrote in message
> > "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" > wrote:
> > : In article >, "Julie Bove"
> > >
> > : wrote:
> >
> > : > Sandwiches are not low carb unless you put them on low carb bread or
> > use low : > carb wraps. Or you can simply wrap the filling in large
> > lettuce leaves.
> >
> > : don't you ever have anything nice to say?
> >
> > Like what? sandwiches on regular bread are OK? I don't see anything no
> > "nice" about this post of Julie's. I suggest you desensitize yourself to
> > seeing her name on a post.

> Yeah. He is making it his career to take pot shots at me no matter what I
> say.

only when your true nature as a rude ass comes out
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message
> In article >, "Julie Bove"
> >
> wrote:
>
>> "Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message

>> > don't you ever have anything nice to say?

>> How is that not nice?

> The same way that my suggesting that unless you fed your cat a premium dry
> food
> you were looking to get a diabetic cat wasn't nice

It's also not true. I would venture to guess that most cats get grocery
store foods and they aren't diabetic.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, "Julie Bove" >
wrote:

> "Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message
> > In article >, "Julie Bove"
> > >
> > wrote:

> >> How is that not nice?

> > The same way that my suggesting that unless you fed your cat a premium dry
> > food
> > you were looking to get a diabetic cat wasn't nice

> It's also not true. I would venture to guess that most cats get grocery
> store foods and they aren't diabetic.

If it's not true, why are you feeding your cats premium food? Your guess has
nothing to do with the fact that your reply to me was rude, inconsiderate and
definitely representative of your nature
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message
> In article >, "Julie Bove"
> >
> wrote:
>
>> "Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message

>> > The same way that my suggesting that unless you fed your cat a premium
>> > dry
>> > food
>> > you were looking to get a diabetic cat wasn't nice

>> It's also not true. I would venture to guess that most cats get grocery
>> store foods and they aren't diabetic.

> If it's not true, why are you feeding your cats premium food? Your guess
> has
> nothing to do with the fact that your reply to me was rude, inconsiderate
> and
> definitely representative of your nature

Because when I got them, this is what they were already being fed.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

julie its time for the kf imho, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message
>> In article >, "Julie Bove"
>> >
>> wrote:

>>> It's also not true. I would venture to guess that most cats get grocery
>>> store foods and they aren't diabetic.

>> If it's not true, why are you feeding your cats premium food? Your guess
>> has
>> nothing to do with the fact that your reply to me was rude, inconsiderate
>> and
>> definitely representative of your nature

> Because when I got them, this is what they were already being fed.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> julie its time for the kf imho, Lee

I think so.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, "Julie Bove" >
wrote:

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> > julie its time for the kf imho, Lee

> I think so.

you haven't demonstrated that lately
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, "Julie Bove" >
wrote:

> >> It's also not true. I would venture to guess that most cats get grocery
> >> store foods and they aren't diabetic.

> > If it's not true, why are you feeding your cats premium food? Your guess
> > has nothing to do with the fact that your reply to me was rude,
> > inconsiderate and definitely representative of your nature

> Because when I got them, this is what they were already being fed.

And you never, not even once, said to yourself "I could just feed them the
cheaper grocery store foods?"
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ingebird wrote:
> My hubby wants to bring lunch to work. He is a newbie and trying to
> figure out lo-carb meals, especially for lunch. He cannot bring salads
> and was thinking more about sandwichs. Any suggestions?

I agree with those who suggest low carb wraps and pitas, filled with
something tasty and low carb: sliced meat and cheese with lettuce/diced
cuke/diced tomato and a little dressing, tuna or chicken salad with lettuce,
and so forth. Many of us use Joseph's brand low carb pitas and wraps, and
there are low carb tortillas/wraps made by LaTortilla Factory and a few
others.

Is the issue with salads refrigeration? If so, an insulated lunchbox with a
coldpack would probably solve that problem--and it would help with some
sandwich fillings, also.

Personally, I like cottage cheese with a small Granny Smith apple diced into
it, although obviously it is not a sandwich! <G> You might want to consider
providing him with a low-carb healthy snack, if he is going to be eating a
less filling lunch than was his habit. Some ideas: roast almonds, one or two
slices of low carb Wasa rye crisp wrapped separately from a sliced ounce
cheese, sliced sweet red pepper and/or cucumber with a low carb dip.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

> In >, "Julie >
> wrote:
>
>> Sandwiches are not low carb unless you put them on low carb bread or use low
>> carb wraps. Or you can simply wrap the filling in large lettuce leaves.

> don't you ever have anything nice to say?

Malcolm, how many decades before you will have anything nice to say?
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Robert Miles" > wrote in message
.com...
> On 7/12/2011 1:08 PM, Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:
>> In >, "Julie
>> >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Sandwiches are not low carb unless you put them on low carb bread or use
>>> low
>>> carb wraps. Or you can simply wrap the filling in large lettuce leaves.

>> don't you ever have anything nice to say?

> Malcolm, how many decades before you will have anything nice to say?

Thank you!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 7/19/2011 1:13 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Robert > wrote in message
> .com...
>> On 7/12/2011 1:08 PM, Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:

>>> don't you ever have anything nice to say?

>> Malcolm, how many decades before you will have anything nice to say?

> Thank you!

You're welcome.

Member

There is also something called a gorilla sandwich. You can buy them in some areas. I think Whole Foods sells. Or you can do at home. Take a cucumber, cut one end so that it grows best you can. I've never tried this, but have heard that an iced tea spoon works well. You can save the hollow cucumber, chop and place in sandwich filling. The best fills, as it would be something like an egg salad, chicken or tuna. Fill the cucumber and wrap in plastic.