Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Tonight's dinner.

Big salad of assorted greens, carrots, tomatoes, green onion, peppers,
Kalamatta olives and Feta cheese. So almost Greek. Small cheese sandwich.
Apple slices.

Angela had taquitos with sour cream, Mexican rice and a salad of just greens
and carrots.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

both sound good, had a ham and cheese sand just a bit ago, won't eat more
until dh returns from work but needed a hold over, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> Big salad of assorted greens, carrots, tomatoes, green onion, peppers,
> Kalamatta olives and Feta cheese. So almost Greek. Small cheese
> sandwich. Apple slices.
>
> Angela had taquitos with sour cream, Mexican rice and a salad of just
> greens and carrots.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> both sound good, had a ham and cheese sand just a bit ago, won't eat more
> until dh returns from work but needed a hold over, Lee

I don't eat sandwiches very often but after throwing out two full loaves of
bread, I decided I would make an effort to eat this one. I know some people
like bread that has been frozen, but I don't. I grew up eating that because
we weren't allowed to eat much bread. Mostly we had it for meatloaf
sandwiches eaten on road trips. So a loaf would last us a long time. OTOH
my dad ate 4 slices of bread in his lunch pretty much daily. He made
sandwiches with that Chinese hot mustard. Nothing else on it. Just the
mustard and wheat bread. Ick.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I had a wonderful and unusual (for me) lunch. I was out and about this
morning and stopped for a cappuccino. I noticed a nice fresh greek salad
bowl so got a takeaway carton full of that and then looked around for
something to go with it but it was the usual falafels, quiche,
spanakapita etc. The I noticed an omelet. It was a bit bigger than my
palm around and at least half an inch thick. I heated it up for lunch to
have with the salad and after the first cut I noticed it was packed with
finely chopped parsley, so thickly packed you could hardly see any
omelet. The only other stuff I could see in it was onion and what looked
like very finely chopped zuchini. It was very, very tasty. I bought some
lamb, garlic and rosemary sausages for myself from the butcher to have
with veggies. I got the kids some lollipop chicken. It is just boned
chicken leg pushed down to form a ball shape with a thick, short piece
of bone left in to form a handle of sorts, in each one. Then it was
crumbed with a spicy looking crumb mixture. I got some nice chicken and
sun dried tomato ravioli for them with a pouch of creamy bacon and
mushroom sauce from the fresh food section. Then steamed veggies for all
of us.

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> Big salad of assorted greens, carrots, tomatoes, green onion, peppers,
> Kalamatta olives and Feta cheese. So almost Greek. Small cheese
> sandwich. Apple slices.
>
> Angela had taquitos with sour cream, Mexican rice and a salad of just
> greens and carrots.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>I had a wonderful and unusual (for me) lunch. I was out and about this
>morning and stopped for a cappuccino. I noticed a nice fresh greek salad
>bowl so got a takeaway carton full of that and then looked around for
>something to go with it but it was the usual falafels, quiche, spanakapita
>etc. The I noticed an omelet. It was a bit bigger than my palm around and
>at least half an inch thick. I heated it up for lunch to have with the
>salad and after the first cut I noticed it was packed with finely chopped
>parsley, so thickly packed you could hardly see any omelet. The only other
>stuff I could see in it was onion and what looked like very finely chopped
>zuchini. It was very, very tasty. I bought some lamb, garlic and rosemary
>sausages for myself from the butcher to have with veggies. I got the kids
>some lollipop chicken. It is just boned chicken leg pushed down to form a
>ball shape with a thick, short piece of bone left in to form a handle of
>sorts, in each one. Then it was crumbed with a spicy looking crumb mixture.
>I got some nice chicken and sun dried tomato ravioli for them with a pouch
>of creamy bacon and mushroom sauce from the fresh food section. Then
>steamed veggies for all of us.

That omelet sounds interesting!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i eat less and less sands, now instead of a meal they are for a
snack/holdover. without health considerations i could eat bread and little
else, we all know thats not good even for some with no health issues, i have
been slowly weaning myself off crb type food, i can proudly say that
potatoes, formerly on my top five list is now be tween seldom and rare, and
while i need some starch with most meals its less and less and often now is
more complex than white, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> both sound good, had a ham and cheese sand just a bit ago, won't eat more
>> until dh returns from work but needed a hold over, Lee

> I don't eat sandwiches very often but after throwing out two full loaves
> of bread, I decided I would make an effort to eat this one. I know some
> people like bread that has been frozen, but I don't. I grew up eating
> that because we weren't allowed to eat much bread. Mostly we had it for
> meatloaf sandwiches eaten on road trips. So a loaf would last us a long
> time. OTOH my dad ate 4 slices of bread in his lunch pretty much daily.
> He made sandwiches with that Chinese hot mustard. Nothing else on it.
> Just the mustard and wheat bread. Ick.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>i eat less and less sands, now instead of a meal they are for a
>snack/holdover. without health considerations i could eat bread and little
>else, we all know thats not good even for some with no health issues, i
>have been slowly weaning myself off crb type food, i can proudly say that
>potatoes, formerly on my top five list is now be tween seldom and rare, and
>while i need some starch with most meals its less and less and often now is
>more complex than white, Lee

Funny thing is, prior to diabetes I rarely ever had bread in the house.
When I did, I usually made it myself and ate it with soup. If I had a
sandwich, it was in a restaurant. Thinking back on it now, I remember going
to a place called Sandwich Isle sometimes when I was at work because they
were right across the street. I only did this a few times because not long
after eating I would get sick to my stomach and have to go home. I now
realize it was probably the mayo they put on there. I have that egg allergy
but didn't realize it then. Since I didn't have a very long lunch break I
opted to take the sandwich the way they normally made it because I got it
quicker. But if I ordered a sandwich in a regular restaurant I would always
ask for no mayo.

I started buying the bread because back when I was diagnosed they kept
referring to the starch or carb choices as breads. And they weren't the only
ones to do this. I remember a friend who is not so bright looking at a
Weight Watcher's eating plan and telling me that she didn't know peas were
bread! Anyway... I guess I kept hearing the word bread so much I felt I
should buy it. I still don't eat a lot of bread but I think I eat more now
than I did before diabetes.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

lol sorta like pizza for me, before ww i only ate it when dh insisted on
having it, after ww i realised i could get a cheese fix and feel like i was
getting more if it were melted on a crust so its a bit more regular if not
the traditional sort of pizza, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>>i eat less and less sands, now instead of a meal they are for a
>>snack/holdover. without health considerations i could eat bread and
>>little else, we all know thats not good even for some with no health
>>issues, i have been slowly weaning myself off crb type food, i can proudly
>>say that potatoes, formerly on my top five list is now be tween seldom and
>>rare, and while i need some starch with most meals its less and less and
>>often now is more complex than white, Lee

> Funny thing is, prior to diabetes I rarely ever had bread in the house.
> When I did, I usually made it myself and ate it with soup. If I had a
> sandwich, it was in a restaurant. Thinking back on it now, I remember
> going to a place called Sandwich Isle sometimes when I was at work because
> they were right across the street. I only did this a few times because
> not long after eating I would get sick to my stomach and have to go home.
> I now realize it was probably the mayo they put on there. I have that egg
> allergy but didn't realize it then. Since I didn't have a very long lunch
> break I opted to take the sandwich the way they normally made it because I
> got it quicker. But if I ordered a sandwich in a regular restaurant I
> would always ask for no mayo.
>
> I started buying the bread because back when I was diagnosed they kept
> referring to the starch or carb choices as breads. And they weren't the
> only ones to do this. I remember a friend who is not so bright looking at
> a Weight Watcher's eating plan and telling me that she didn't know peas
> were bread! Anyway... I guess I kept hearing the word bread so much I
> felt I should buy it. I still don't eat a lot of bread but I think I eat
> more now than I did before diabetes.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> lol sorta like pizza for me, before ww i only ate it when dh insisted on
> having it, after ww i realised i could get a cheese fix and feel like i
> was getting more if it were melted on a crust so its a bit more regular if
> not the traditional sort of pizza, Lee

Pizza was never a favorite food. Angela doesn't like it either. But my
husband does and he will eat any kind.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

my dh is a pizza snob, cheese only he often makes it from scratch including
dough , his grandfather was cicilan, sp, for me i get tortillia shells and
fat free with some veggies, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> lol sorta like pizza for me, before ww i only ate it when dh insisted on
>> having it, after ww i realised i could get a cheese fix and feel like i
>> was getting more if it were melted on a crust so its a bit more regular
>> if not the traditional sort of pizza, Lee

> Pizza was never a favorite food. Angela doesn't like it either. But my
> husband does and he will eat any kind.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> my dh is a pizza snob, cheese only he often makes it from scratch
> including dough , his grandfather was cicilan, sp, for me i get tortillia
> shells and fat free with some veggies, Lee

MIL made it from purchased dough. That used to be uncommon here unless you
count that stuff in a tube. But now it is common here.

She would put tomato sauce on it and use cheese ends from the deli. If she
didn't have any cheese ends she would use whatever cheese she had in the
house. It was never the same twice. They are Sicilian too.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i otally rrelate, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> my dh is a pizza snob, cheese only he often makes it from scratch
>> including dough , his grandfather was cicilan, sp, for me i get tortillia
>> shells and fat free with some veggies, Lee

> MIL made it from purchased dough. That used to be uncommon here unless
> you count that stuff in a tube. But now it is common here.
>
> She would put tomato sauce on it and use cheese ends from the deli. If
> she didn't have any cheese ends she would use whatever cheese she had in
> the house. It was never the same twice. They are Sicilian too.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

English muffin pizza, best there is I had all these WW tricks lol.
Half a muffin lightly toasted, spread with a little ketchup, doesn't
need to be much or bottled pasta sauce (although usually not something
one wants to take a spoon full out of just for a muffin, lol. Sprinkle
with dried Italian herb mix and add some toppings (which I preheat in
the micro). Little bits of finely chopped mushroom, garlic, peppers,
ham, olives (or just olive juice if you like) etc. I like to add a
little chopped canned, unsweetened pineapple as well. Then top with a
bit of grated cheese and finally very thinly cut onion over that plus a
few dried chili flakes. Then put your little creation under the griller
to melt the cheese and semi cook the onion. A nice green salad and that
was lunch!

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> lol sorta like pizza for me, before ww i only ate it when dh insisted
> on having it, after ww i realised i could get a cheese fix and feel
> like i was getting more if it were melted on a crust so its a bit more
> regular if not the traditional sort of pizza, Lee
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>>>i eat less and less sands, now instead of a meal they are for a
>>>snack/holdover. without health considerations i could eat bread and
>>>little else, we all know thats not good even for some with no health
>>>issues, i have been slowly weaning myself off crb type food, i can
>>>proudly say that potatoes, formerly on my top five list is now be
>>>tween seldom and rare, and while i need some starch with most meals
>>>its less and less and often now is more complex than white, Lee

>> Funny thing is, prior to diabetes I rarely ever had bread in the
>> house. When I did, I usually made it myself and ate it with soup. If
>> I had a sandwich, it was in a restaurant. Thinking back on it now, I
>> remember going to a place called Sandwich Isle sometimes when I was
>> at work because they were right across the street. I only did this a
>> few times because not long after eating I would get sick to my
>> stomach and have to go home. I now realize it was probably the mayo
>> they put on there. I have that egg allergy but didn't realize it
>> then. Since I didn't have a very long lunch break I opted to take
>> the sandwich the way they normally made it because I got it quicker.
>> But if I ordered a sandwich in a regular restaurant I would always
>> ask for no mayo.
>>
>> I started buying the bread because back when I was diagnosed they
>> kept referring to the starch or carb choices as breads. And they
>> weren't the only ones to do this. I remember a friend who is not so
>> bright looking at a Weight Watcher's eating plan and telling me that
>> she didn't know peas were bread! Anyway... I guess I kept hearing
>> the word bread so much I felt I should buy it. I still don't eat a
>> lot of bread but I think I eat more now than I did before diabetes.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> English muffin pizza, best there is I had all these WW tricks lol. Half
> a muffin lightly toasted, spread with a little ketchup, doesn't need to be
> much or bottled pasta sauce (although usually not something one wants to
> take a spoon full out of just for a muffin, lol. Sprinkle with dried
> Italian herb mix and add some toppings (which I preheat in the micro).
> Little bits of finely chopped mushroom, garlic, peppers, ham, olives (or
> just olive juice if you like) etc. I like to add a little chopped canned,
> unsweetened pineapple as well. Then top with a bit of grated cheese and
> finally very thinly cut onion over that plus a few dried chili flakes.
> Then put your little creation under the griller to melt the cheese and
> semi cook the onion. A nice green salad and that was lunch!

I used to make these but daughter and husband didn't like them. For the
sauce I bought those tubes of tomato paste. I would mix a small amount of
that with a couple of drops of olive oil, a little water and Italian herbs.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>> English muffin pizza, best there is I had all these WW tricks lol.
>> Half a muffin lightly toasted, spread with a little ketchup, doesn't
>> need to be much or bottled pasta sauce (although usually not
>> something one wants to take a spoon full out of just for a muffin,
>> lol. Sprinkle with dried Italian herb mix and add some toppings
>> (which I preheat in the micro). Little bits of finely chopped
>> mushroom, garlic, peppers, ham, olives (or just olive juice if you
>> like) etc. I like to add a little chopped canned, unsweetened
>> pineapple as well. Then top with a bit of grated cheese and finally
>> very thinly cut onion over that plus a few dried chili flakes. Then
>> put your little creation under the griller to melt the cheese and
>> semi cook the onion. A nice green salad and that was lunch!

> I used to make these but daughter and husband didn't like them. For
> the sauce I bought those tubes of tomato paste. I would mix a small
> amount of that with a couple of drops of olive oil, a little water and
> Italian herbs.

One of the many things that weren't available here back then. Pasta
sauce wasn't, tomato paste came in large jars and often went moldy in
the fridge before it was all used up.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

done it also, good, Lee
"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> English muffin pizza, best there is I had all these WW tricks lol. Half
> a muffin lightly toasted, spread with a little ketchup, doesn't need to be
> much or bottled pasta sauce (although usually not something one wants to
> take a spoon full out of just for a muffin, lol. Sprinkle with dried
> Italian herb mix and add some toppings (which I preheat in the micro).
> Little bits of finely chopped mushroom, garlic, peppers, ham, olives (or
> just olive juice if you like) etc. I like to add a little chopped canned,
> unsweetened pineapple as well. Then top with a bit of grated cheese and
> finally very thinly cut onion over that plus a few dried chili flakes.
> Then put your little creation under the griller to melt the cheese and
> semi cook the onion. A nice green salad and that was lunch!
>
> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> lol sorta like pizza for me, before ww i only ate it when dh insisted on
>> having it, after ww i realised i could get a cheese fix and feel like i
>> was getting more if it were melted on a crust so its a bit more regular
>> if not the traditional sort of pizza, Lee

>>> Funny thing is, prior to diabetes I rarely ever had bread in the house.
>>> When I did, I usually made it myself and ate it with soup. If I had a
>>> sandwich, it was in a restaurant. Thinking back on it now, I remember
>>> going to a place called Sandwich Isle sometimes when I was at work
>>> because they were right across the street. I only did this a few times
>>> because not long after eating I would get sick to my stomach and have to
>>> go home. I now realize it was probably the mayo they put on there. I
>>> have that egg allergy but didn't realize it then. Since I didn't have a
>>> very long lunch break I opted to take the sandwich the way they normally
>>> made it because I got it quicker. But if I ordered a sandwich in a
>>> regular restaurant I would always ask for no mayo.
>>>
>>> I started buying the bread because back when I was diagnosed they kept
>>> referring to the starch or carb choices as breads. And they weren't the
>>> only ones to do this. I remember a friend who is not so bright looking
>>> at a Weight Watcher's eating plan and telling me that she didn't know
>>> peas were bread! Anyway... I guess I kept hearing the word bread so
>>> much I felt I should buy it. I still don't eat a lot of bread but I
>>> think I eat more now than I did before diabetes.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Storrmmee > wrote:
: done it also, good, Lee
: "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
: ...
: > English muffin pizza, best there is I had all these WW tricks lol. Half
: > a muffin lightly toasted, spread with a little ketchup, doesn't need to be
: > much or bottled pasta sauce (although usually not something one wants to
: > take a spoon full out of just for a muffin, lol. Sprinkle with dried
: > Italian herb mix and add some toppings (which I preheat in the micro).
: > Little bits of finely chopped mushroom, garlic, peppers, ham, olives (or
: > just olive juice if you like) etc. I like to add a little chopped canned,
: > unsweetened pineapple as well. Then top with a bit of grated cheese and
: > finally very thinly cut onion over that plus a few dried chili flakes.
: > Then put your little creation under the griller to melt the cheese and
: > semi cook the onion. A nice green salad and that was lunch!
: >

This sounds good, but i use low car tortillas and eat with a knife and
fork. I do use the jarred pasta sauce when I have made some kind of
eggplant parmigiana, or eggplant/zuchinni lasagna and have tons of sauce
left over going mouldy in the fridge. I will make enouh of the fake pasta
dish for two to thre days for me, but that still leaves quite a bit of
sauce left over so fake pizza is a great way to use it uup. I wonder how
a portobello mushroom whoud work as a base? I must try that one!!!

I am u in the country for a long week and kosher meat is not readily
avaiable so I grabed a pound of ground turkey(hence that meatloaf I sent
the recipe for) and a whole fresh chicken for the week and 2 weekends.
part of the meatloaf is currently in the freezer for later in the week adn
last night I roasted the whole chicken, just like i used to for a nice
family dinner, after removing as much fat as possible. I have most of a
breast/wing quarter, carved off the bird last night. there is NOTHING
like freshly roasted chcken! I will use the rest in various kinds of
reheataing or even a cold salad during the week. alernating it with the
turkey meatloaf.

My general directions for roasting a whole chicken-not a precise recipe as
I cannot state absolute ingredients.

Clean the bird and remove as much visible fat as possible. kosher birds
have been soaked and salted, kind of pre-brined, so I add no salt. You
can brine the bird if you like or else jsut salt it along with the other
seasonings. I then loosen the breast skin from the bottom and the top and
make some slits in the breast for seasonings and onion to get into.

Lemon Juice, from 1 lemon(jarred if fresh not available)

fresly ground pepper-to taste

mild curry powder

1 medium onion, half sliced and half diced

Herbs of your choice(last night I used some oregono and added stalks of
fresh rosemary inside the birs(remove before eating:-)

Peheat the oven to 425-450F

rub the seasonings all over the bird, under the breast skin and up the
thighs under the skin inside and all over. stick some thin slices of
onion under the brease skin and even into the slits if you wish. put the
diced onions up the thighs under the skin, inside adn under the bird. Any
slices can go under the birs too.
( I used to do this either the night before or a few hours before, but
now, often just do it right before cooking.

Place chicken, breast side up, in a roasting pan that it fits(not too big)
and put into the hot oven. Cook at this temperature about ah hour , or
until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh reads
165-175 F (I prefer it slightly less rather than mor done. Remove from
pan and make a thin gravy from the onions and juices in the pan by simply
adding hot water to the pan cooking n the to of the stove, beign sureto
scrape off all the yummy bits tht are stuck to the pan. don't be afraid
of using too much water as you can alway s boil it down. Gravy is rady
when it tastes good. Be sure to add the accumlated juices on the platter
you have put the chicken on, as they add greaat flavor.

That's it.

I know there are recipes that cal for 500F or higher ovens, but I find
that gets just too smokey in the kitchen. This is my compromise.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

sounds nice, Lee
"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> [...]
> and put into the hot oven. Cook at this temperature about ah hour , or
> until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh reads
> 165-175 F (I prefer it slightly less rather than mor done. Remove from
> pan and make a thin gravy from the onions and juices in the pan by simply
> adding hot water to the pan cooking n the to of the stove, beign sureto
> scrape off all the yummy bits tht are stuck to the pan. don't be afraid
> of using too much water as you can alway s boil it down. Gravy is rady
> when it tastes good. Be sure to add the accumlated juices on the platter
> you have put the chicken on, as they add greaat flavor.
>
> That's it.
>
> I know there are recipes that cal for 500F or higher ovens, but I find
> that gets just too smokey in the kitchen. This is my compromise.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message

> This sounds good, but i use low car tortillas and eat with a knife and
> fork. I do use the jarred pasta sauce when I have made some kind of
> eggplant parmigiana, or eggplant/zuchinni lasagna and have tons of
> sauce
> left over going mouldy in the fridge. I will make enouh of the fake
> pasta
> dish for two to thre days for me, but that still leaves quite a bit of
> sauce left over so fake pizza is a great way to use it uup. I wonder
> how
> a portobello mushroom whoud work as a base? I must try that one!!!

Low carb breads and flatbreads etc are few on the ground here these
days. They did have a few on offer when "Atkins" diet was popular. There
was also a pack of low carb tortillas available in pharmacies at the
Tony Ferguson section but I noticed they haven't been there lately.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ozgirl > wrote:

: "W. Baker" > wrote in message
: ...

[...]

We have far fewer than we had in the "Atkins" day, but still enough so
that I can get some, even if not a big choice. I get a dryish bread that
has 4 carbs a slice and use that for toast or for bread crumbs for that
meatloaf. I use the pitas for sandwiches on long bus trips( I recently
gave up my driver's lisence as I really don't see well enough and
shouldn't put, not only myself, but others at great risk, particularly in
even just cloudy weather when the slightest fog makes the car in front of
me disappear. Very sscary!)

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>>> English muffin pizza, best there is I had all these WW tricks lol.
>>> Half a muffin lightly toasted, spread with a little ketchup, doesn't
>>> need to be much or bottled pasta sauce (although usually not something
>>> one wants to take a spoon full out of just for a muffin, lol. Sprinkle
>>> with dried Italian herb mix and add some toppings (which I preheat in
>>> the micro). Little bits of finely chopped mushroom, garlic, peppers,
>>> ham, olives (or just olive juice if you like) etc. I like to add a
>>> little chopped canned, unsweetened pineapple as well. Then top with a
>>> bit of grated cheese and finally very thinly cut onion over that plus a
>>> few dried chili flakes. Then put your little creation under the griller
>>> to melt the cheese and semi cook the onion. A nice green salad and that
>>> was lunch!

>> I used to make these but daughter and husband didn't like them. For the
>> sauce I bought those tubes of tomato paste. I would mix a small amount
>> of that with a couple of drops of olive oil, a little water and Italian
>> herbs.

> One of the many things that weren't available here back then. Pasta sauce
> wasn't, tomato paste came in large jars and often went moldy in the fridge
> before it was all used up.

That's too bad. We can get small cans of tomato paste which are still too
large. I have since read that the thing to do is freeze little dabs of
them. The stuff in the tube is not widely available. I have to look for
places that sell Italian imports.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message

>>> I used to make these but daughter and husband didn't like them. For
>>> the sauce I bought those tubes of tomato paste. I would mix a small
>>> amount of that with a couple of drops of olive oil, a little water
>>> and Italian herbs.

>> One of the many things that weren't available here back then. Pasta
>> sauce wasn't, tomato paste came in large jars and often went moldy in
>> the fridge before it was all used up.

> That's too bad. We can get small cans of tomato paste which are still
> too large. I have since read that the thing to do is freeze little
> dabs of them. The stuff in the tube is not widely available. I have
> to look for places that sell Italian imports.

We have tubes and small one use cans. I buy the no name brands and its
dirt cheap and just as tasty. I like tomato paste in pasta sauce as it
gives it a slight bitter taste whereas without it the sauces just taste
like sweet tomatoes.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

KROM > wrote:
: that stinks...also try finding a bread that doesn?t contain hfcs or corn
: sugar or whatever name they are calling it as well...at least in my area
: only 2 out of the 100 bread varieties doesn?t.

: I thought maybe a good pumpernickel or rye or sour dough cut thin...but
: nothing to be found where I am.

: KROM

: "Ozgirl" wrote in message ...

: I searched high and low for low carb breads, tortillas etc yesterday.
: Zippo! Whilst I can handle the regular stuff I don't want to do it on
: a daily basis.

Krom, (I don't think this will help Jan) Do you get those little square
pcks of very dense pumpernickel or Rye, around here often called
Wetphalian rye or pumpernickel? We get a brand, rubschlager, but I don't
knowif it i snational. It is not a low carb or diet bread, but ihave a
packe I found inthe freezer left form my husban. it has 12 effective
carbs a slice and , although small and thin, is extremely dense and
filling. I hav ebeen havign some problems gettign to the store in the
country(no driver's lisence or car any more-5 miles from town) do I am
kidn of scavenging for a few days (relief in sight for tomorrow). I have
been using 1 slice with some meatloaf left from laast Friday(had beenin
the freezer a few dasy) and it makes a filling lunch. It is ever so much
more filling than most breads.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> KROM > wrote:
> : that stinks...also try finding a bread that doesn?t contain hfcs or
> corn
> : sugar or whatever name they are calling it as well...at least in my
> area
> : only 2 out of the 100 bread varieties doesn?t.
>
> : I thought maybe a good pumpernickel or rye or sour dough cut
> thin...but
> : nothing to be found where I am.
>
> : KROM
>

> : "Ozgirl" wrote in message ...
>
> : I searched high and low for low carb breads, tortillas etc
> yesterday.
> : Zippo! Whilst I can handle the regular stuff I don't want to do
> it on
> : a daily basis.
>
> Krom, (I don't think this will help Jan) Do you get those little
> square
> pcks of very dense pumpernickel or Rye, around here often called
> Wetphalian rye or pumpernickel? We get a brand, rubschlager, but I
> don't
> knowif it i snational. It is not a low carb or diet bread, but ihave
> packe I found inthe freezer left form my husban. it has 12 effective
> carbs a slice and , although small and thin, is extremely dense and
> filling. I hav ebeen havign some problems gettign to the store in the
> country(no driver's lisence or car any more-5 miles from town) do I am
> kidn of scavenging for a few days (relief in sight for tomorrow). I
> have
> been using 1 slice with some meatloaf left from laast Friday(had
> beenin
> the freezer a few dasy) and it makes a filling lunch. It is ever so
> much
> more filling than most breads.

We get those types of bread here. I used to get them a lot years ago. I
would spread them with ricotta, peanut butter I ground myself, sultanas,
grated carrot and pumpkin seeds, alfalfa sprouts, lol. Ate it with a
knife and fork - open sandwich. I loved it like that.
> Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I have been looking for a dense rye bread or even crackers that dont have
hfcs with zero luck in my area..things that never had it before now do like
wheat thins and ritz..even the stores bakery uses giant bottles of the stuff
instead of sugar to bake.

they are a nation chain store sure but still I had hoped they didn't use it.

there is a couple bakeries around but the cost to my needing bread ratio is
low..lol

I miss the days when my store sold lc bread and carried things like
carbquick on the shelves..

KROM

: "Ozgirl" wrote in message ...

[...]

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

KROM wrote:
> I have been looking for a dense rye bread or even crackers that don't
> have hfcs with zero luck in my area..things that never had it before
> now do like wheat thins and ritz..even the stores bakery uses giant
> bottles of the stuff instead of sugar to bake.
>
> they are a nation chain store sure but still I had hoped they didn't
> use it.
> there is a couple bakeries around but the cost to my needing bread
> ratio is low..lol
>
> I miss the days when my store sold lc bread and carried things like
> carbquick on the shelves..
>
> KROM
>

> "W. Baker" wrote in message ...
>
> KROM > wrote:
>> that stinks...also try finding a bread that doesn?t contain hfcs or
>> corn sugar or whatever name they are calling it as well...at least
>> in my area only 2 out of the 100 bread varieties doesn?t.

>> I thought maybe a good pumpernickel or rye or sour dough cut
>> thin...but nothing to be found where I am.

Does your store have an area with imported foods? That is where this type
of bread is located in some stores. I just happen not to like it. The
bread that is. Not where it is located in the store.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

KROM wrote:
> I like my hamburgers just on lettuce with tomatoes etc...but the all
> beef doc grilled just cried for a bun..lol

Angela slices her hot dogs and dips them in sauce. Either BBQ or one she
makes of a mix of mustard and ketchup, sometimes with pickle relish mixed
in.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 7/11/2011 1:59 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> > wrote in message
>> my dh is a pizza snob, cheese only he often makes it from scratch
>> including dough , his grandfather was cicilan, sp, for me i get tortillia
>> shells and fat free with some veggies, Lee

> MIL made it from purchased dough. That used to be uncommon here unless you
> count that stuff in a tube. But now it is common here.
>
> She would put tomato sauce on it and use cheese ends from the deli. If she
> didn't have any cheese ends she would use whatever cheese she had in the
> house. It was never the same twice. They are Sicilian too.

Did they like especially salty foods which I've read is
typical for Sicilian recipes?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

his grandfather cooked saltier than i liked, th dh doesn't except maybe once
in a while on pasta. i loved eating at his grandfather;'s house, food good,
but the house was always wonderful. even more than the salt, the only thing
consistent is the methodology, sauce, pizza, soup, never the same but always
excellent, as i type this maybe the beef was but i only ate that a couple of
times, Lee
"Robert Miles" > wrote in message
.com...
> On 7/11/2011 1:59 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>>> my dh is a pizza snob, cheese only he often makes it from scratch
>>> including dough , his grandfather was cicilan, sp, for me i get
>>> tortillia
>>> shells and fat free with some veggies, Lee

>> MIL made it from purchased dough. That used to be uncommon here unless
>> you
>> count that stuff in a tube. But now it is common here.
>>
>> She would put tomato sauce on it and use cheese ends from the deli. If
>> she
>> didn't have any cheese ends she would use whatever cheese she had in the
>> house. It was never the same twice. They are Sicilian too.
>>

> Did they like especially salty foods which I've read is
> typical for Sicilian recipes?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Robert Miles" > wrote in message
.com...
> On 7/11/2011 1:59 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>>> my dh is a pizza snob, cheese only he often makes it from scratch
>>> including dough , his grandfather was cicilan, sp, for me i get
>>> tortillia
>>> shells and fat free with some veggies, Lee

>> MIL made it from purchased dough. That used to be uncommon here unless
>> you
>> count that stuff in a tube. But now it is common here.
>>
>> She would put tomato sauce on it and use cheese ends from the deli. If
>> she
>> didn't have any cheese ends she would use whatever cheese she had in the
>> house. It was never the same twice. They are Sicilian too.
>>

> Did they like especially salty foods which I've read is
> typical for Sicilian recipes?

She herself was very conscious of not using a lot of salt in her foods. And
I don't recall my FIL being big on the salt shaker. But my husband? He
oversalts EVERYTHING! Makes me sick just to watch him. He can not eat food
unless it has a lot of salt on it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> his grandfather cooked saltier than i liked, th dh doesn't except maybe
> once in a while on pasta. i loved eating at his grandfather;'s house,
> food good, but the house was always wonderful. even more than the salt,
> the only thing consistent is the methodology, sauce, pizza, soup, never
> the same but always excellent, as i type this maybe the beef was but i
> only ate that a couple of times, Lee

That is how my MIL cooked. Never the same twice.

And my food often comes out that way. Especially soup and salad. I tend to
use whatever I have around in the house. Once in a while I will buy stuff
special for that. But not usually.

My meatloaf never comes out the same way twice either. Angela got excited
today because the HoMade chili sauce was on sale so I bought some. It's the
best stuff to use for meatloaf. Not sure when I'm going to make it though.
Our weather has been so temperamental. Mostly cold but once in a while a
warm day. I don't like to use the oven when it is warm. And I will for
sure need freezer space. Meatloaf is such a pain to make. It's one of the
few foods I do make extra of and put it in the freezer. But no freezer
space at the moment. Meatloaf is one food that we will all eat.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i think some of the never comes out the same is because of not having much
money when they first came her from italy, when he was eight or so his
parents went back to italy but he hid and missed the boat so he was on his
own very young, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> his grandfather cooked saltier than i liked, th dh doesn't except maybe
>> once in a while on pasta. i loved eating at his grandfather;'s house,
>> food good, but the house was always wonderful. even more than the salt,
>> the only thing consistent is the methodology, sauce, pizza, soup, never
>> the same but always excellent, as i type this maybe the beef was but i
>> only ate that a couple of times, Lee

> That is how my MIL cooked. Never the same twice.
>
> And my food often comes out that way. Especially soup and salad. I tend
> to use whatever I have around in the house. Once in a while I will buy
> stuff special for that. But not usually.
>
> My meatloaf never comes out the same way twice either. Angela got excited
> today because the HoMade chili sauce was on sale so I bought some. It's
> the best stuff to use for meatloaf. Not sure when I'm going to make it
> though. Our weather has been so temperamental. Mostly cold but once in a
> while a warm day. I don't like to use the oven when it is warm. And I
> will for sure need freezer space. Meatloaf is such a pain to make. It's
> one of the few foods I do make extra of and put it in the freezer. But no
> freezer space at the moment. Meatloaf is one food that we will all eat.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>i think some of the never comes out the same is because of not having much
>money when they first came her from italy, when he was eight or so his
>parents went back to italy but he hid and missed the boat so he was on his
>own very young, Lee

Wow! They left without him? Wow.

This is the sort of thing I had always envisioned that might happen to
Angela. Of course this never did happen but it's just her personality. She
hates being told what to do and always wants to have the final say even if
it is just yelling and screaming. If I tell her she has to be quiet (like
because I hear a weird noise in the background and want to know what it is),
that is the time she will start screaming.

I keep picturing in the back of my mind some sort of old time war story
where the family was in danger and had to hide and be quiet and she would be
the one who would decide not to do that.

When she was younger she ran out in front of a car in a parking lot once. I
immediately reached out and grabbed her back, probably as any parent would
do. And what did she do? Start lecturing me right then and there about how
I wasn't supposed to put my hands on her! She doesn't remember it now. She
is one of those kids who loves pointing out what other kids are doing wrong.
And running in front of cars is always something she will point out.

Thankfully she is old enough now that this is no longer much of a concern.
But when she was younger this was always in the back of my mind. She did
actually hide from me once. I was ready to kill her that day! She was in
preschool and we were living in NY. I had bought her a fancy yellow Easter
dress and she insisted on wearing the dress to school. Of course she came
home with some of the fancy bows and roses missing. I sort of knew that
would happen.

But she hated going to preschool. It wasn't required in NY but it was
strongly recommended and I felt it was necessary for her because she was so
painfully shy. So we headed out the door. But I forgot something and had
to turn back. It only took me a minute but in that length of time she had
vanished.

So I began calling for her. And she didn't answer. I panicked! We were
living in military housing and you did have to show your I.D. to drive in
there or even walk in through the gate. But people had been known to climb
fences and we were always on the lookout for people who didn't look like
they belonged because of frequent bomb threats to the Verazanno bridge that
we lived practically under.

Eventually I found her behind the next building over. The two women sitting
there looked at me like I was nuts for all my screaming her name. But I was
like... Um... You know she has to go to preschool now. You know I was
looking for her. Why didn't somebody answer me and tell me where she was?
Instead, the one woman who ran a daycare had fixed her a plate of fish
sticks for lunch! And I know she knew that Angela had her lunch at school
because we had talked about it. They had two different sessions and the
afternoon kids had to eat lunch there.

I am sooo glad those days are over. But in a week or so she will be a teen
and then there will be new worries.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

my brother once told my mom if she slapped him he would call child services,
my mom got out the phone book, wrote down the name of the police dept, fire
dept, ambulance and dcfs... now mind he wasn't in danger of needing slapped
this was because of another child at school... he took the paper and said
what's this for, she said, if you are calling dcfs and i'm going to jail i
intend to make it worth my while so YOU will need the ambulance and the
other kids will probably need the police or fire dept after you and i are
gone, then she slapped him right across the face, something i don't think
she did ever to any of us...

the real problem with your daughter is probably too many brains...

Lee

ps they had to get on the boat, there were like ten or twelve kids, and the
father had used almost all of their money to get the tickets, so no choice,
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> [...]

> climb fences and we were always on the lookout for people who didn't look
> like they belonged because of frequent bomb threats to the Verazanno
> bridge that we lived practically under.
>
> Eventually I found her behind the next building over. The two women
> sitting there looked at me like I was nuts for all my screaming her name.
> But I was like... Um... You know she has to go to preschool now. You
> know I was looking for her. Why didn't somebody answer me and tell me
> where she was? Instead, the one woman who ran a daycare had fixed her a
> plate of fish sticks for lunch! And I know she knew that Angela had her
> lunch at school because we had talked about it. They had two different
> sessions and the afternoon kids had to eat lunch there.
>
> I am sooo glad those days are over. But in a week or so she will be a
> teen and then there will be new worries.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> my brother once told my mom if she slapped him he would call child
> services, my mom got out the phone book, wrote down the name of the police
> dept, fire dept, ambulance and dcfs... now mind he wasn't in danger of
> needing slapped this was because of another child at school... he took the
> paper and said what's this for, she said, if you are calling dcfs and i'm
> going to jail i intend to make it worth my while so YOU will need the
> ambulance and the other kids will probably need the police or fire dept
> after you and i are gone, then she slapped him right across the face,
> something i don't think she did ever to any of us...
>
> the real problem with your daughter is probably too many brains...

Yeah. That and a mouth on her. I don't remember my grandma being that way.
But my mom and I both have a very smart mouth on us and she inherited it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 7/19/2011 1:17 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Robert > wrote in message
> .com...

[snip]
>> Did they like especially salty foods which I've read is
>> typical for Sicilian recipes?

> She herself was very conscious of not using a lot of salt in her foods. And
> I don't recall my FIL being big on the salt shaker. But my husband? He
> oversalts EVERYTHING! Makes me sick just to watch him. He can not eat food
> unless it has a lot of salt on it.

You may want to ask if he's been checked for a rather uncommon
condition called hyponatremia. People with that have too little
salt in their blood and often need to eat extra salt just to stay
alive.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Robert Miles" > wrote in message
> On 7/19/2011 1:17 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> "Robert > wrote in message
>> .com...

> [snip]
>>> Did they like especially salty foods which I've read is
>>> typical for Sicilian recipes?

>> She herself was very conscious of not using a lot of salt in her foods.
>> And
>> I don't recall my FIL being big on the salt shaker. But my husband? He
>> oversalts EVERYTHING! Makes me sick just to watch him. He can not eat
>> food
>> unless it has a lot of salt on it.

> You may want to ask if he's been checked for a rather uncommon
> condition called hyponatremia. People with that have too little
> salt in their blood and often need to eat extra salt just to stay
> alive.

Nope. He wouldn't care.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> I don't usually get food cravings although oddly today I was craving
> biscuits with sausage gravy and I don't know why. Those are something I
> very rarely eat! But if I am going to have a craving it's not necessarily
> for a salty food but a crunchy one. Granted a lot of the crunchy foods I
> might eat are salty.

I don't often get food cravings either, but when I do they're often what
I think of as indirect cravings. What I mean by this is that the craving
might actually agree for an ingredient or standard accompaniment for
what I think I crave. For instance, when I was in grad school and
getting used to living in the Texas heat, I would have occasional
cravings for French fries, which I don't actually *like* that much. I
finally realized that what I craved was the salt, and I could satisfy
the craving by putting extra salt in something else.

--
"Isn't embarrassing to quote something you didn't read and then attack
what it didn't say?"--WG, where else but Usenet
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 24/07/2011 1:25 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> I don't usually get food cravings although oddly today I was craving
> biscuits with sausage gravy

I have no idea what biscuits and sausage gravy are.

Tim Tams and pureed sausage ?

--
(- -)
=m=(_)=m=
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

RodS > wrote:
: On 24/07/2011 1:25 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

: >
: > I don't usually get food cravings although oddly today I was craving
: > biscuits with sausage gravy

: I have no idea what biscuits and sausage gravy are.

: Tim Tams and pureed sausage ?

: and I don't know why. Those are something I
: > very rarely eat! But if I am going to have a craving it's not necessarily
: > for a salty food but a crunchy one. Granted a lot of the crunchy foods I
: > might eat are salty.
: --
: (- -)
: RodS T2
: Australia

In American English "biscuits" are similaar to unsweetened scones, not
what we call "cookies," and other English speakers call "biscuits." I
have no idea about sausage gravy as I have never seen, nor had it. I
don't know if it is a gravy made from sausages or one that you put on
sausages.

Wendy