Old 11-07-2011, 04:19 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Tonight's dinner.

Big salad of assorted greens, carrots, tomatoes, green onion, peppers,
Kalamatta olives and Feta cheese. So almost Greek. Small cheese sandwich.
Apple slices.

Angela had taquitos with sour cream, Mexican rice and a salad of just greens
and carrots.

Old 11-07-2011, 04:40 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
both sound good, had a ham and cheese sand just a bit ago, won't eat more
until dh returns from work but needed a hold over, Lee

I don't eat sandwiches very often but after throwing out two full loaves of
bread, I decided I would make an effort to eat this one. I know some people
like bread that has been frozen, but I don't. I grew up eating that because
we weren't allowed to eat much bread. Mostly we had it for meatloaf
sandwiches eaten on road trips. So a loaf would last us a long time. OTOH
my dad ate 4 slices of bread in his lunch pretty much daily. He made
sandwiches with that Chinese hot mustard. Nothing else on it. Just the
mustard and wheat bread. Ick.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:30 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

I had a wonderful and unusual (for me) lunch. I was out and about this
morning and stopped for a cappuccino. I noticed a nice fresh greek salad
bowl so got a takeaway carton full of that and then looked around for
something to go with it but it was the usual falafels, quiche,
spanakapita etc. The I noticed an omelet. It was a bit bigger than my
palm around and at least half an inch thick. I heated it up for lunch to
have with the salad and after the first cut I noticed it was packed with
finely chopped parsley, so thickly packed you could hardly see any
omelet. The only other stuff I could see in it was onion and what looked
like very finely chopped zuchini. It was very, very tasty. I bought some
lamb, garlic and rosemary sausages for myself from the butcher to have
with veggies. I got the kids some lollipop chicken. It is just boned
chicken leg pushed down to form a ball shape with a thick, short piece
of bone left in to form a handle of sorts, in each one. Then it was
crumbed with a spicy looking crumb mixture. I got some nice chicken and
sun dried tomato ravioli for them with a pouch of creamy bacon and
mushroom sauce from the fresh food section. Then steamed veggies for all
of us.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:56 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" wrote in message
[...]

That omelet sounds interesting!

Old 11-07-2011, 06:08 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

i eat less and less sands, now instead of a meal they are for a
snack/holdover. without health considerations i could eat bread and little
else, we all know thats not good even for some with no health issues, i have
been slowly weaning myself off crb type food, i can proudly say that
potatoes, formerly on my top five list is now be tween seldom and rare, and
while i need some starch with most meals its less and less and often now is
more complex than white, Lee

Old 11-07-2011, 06:23 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
i eat less and less sands, now instead of a meal they are for a
snack/holdover. without health considerations i could eat bread and little
else, we all know thats not good even for some with no health issues, i
have been slowly weaning myself off crb type food, i can proudly say that
potatoes, formerly on my top five list is now be tween seldom and rare, and
while i need some starch with most meals its less and less and often now is
more complex than white, Lee

Funny thing is, prior to diabetes I rarely ever had bread in the house.
When I did, I usually made it myself and ate it with soup. If I had a
sandwich, it was in a restaurant. Thinking back on it now, I remember going
to a place called Sandwich Isle sometimes when I was at work because they
were right across the street. I only did this a few times because not long
after eating I would get sick to my stomach and have to go home. I now
realize it was probably the mayo they put on there. I have that egg allergy
but didn't realize it then. Since I didn't have a very long lunch break I
opted to take the sandwich the way they normally made it because I got it
quicker. But if I ordered a sandwich in a regular restaurant I would always
ask for no mayo.

I started buying the bread because back when I was diagnosed they kept
referring to the starch or carb choices as breads. And they weren't the only
ones to do this. I remember a friend who is not so bright looking at a
Weight Watcher's eating plan and telling me that she didn't know peas were
bread! Anyway... I guess I kept hearing the word bread so much I felt I
should buy it. I still don't eat a lot of bread but I think I eat more now
than I did before diabetes.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:04 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

lol sorta like pizza for me, before ww i only ate it when dh insisted on
having it, after ww i realised i could get a cheese fix and feel like i was
getting more if it were melted on a crust so its a bit more regular if not
the traditional sort of pizza, Lee

Old 11-07-2011, 07:16 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
lol sorta like pizza for me, before ww i only ate it when dh insisted on
having it, after ww i realised i could get a cheese fix and feel like i
was getting more if it were melted on a crust so its a bit more regular if
not the traditional sort of pizza, Lee

Pizza was never a favorite food. Angela doesn't like it either. But my
husband does and he will eat any kind.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:47 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

my dh is a pizza snob, cheese only he often makes it from scratch including
dough , his grandfather was cicilan, sp, for me i get tortillia shells and
fat free with some veggies, Lee

Old 11-07-2011, 07:59 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
my dh is a pizza snob, cheese only he often makes it from scratch
including dough , his grandfather was cicilan, sp, for me i get tortillia
shells and fat free with some veggies, Lee

MIL made it from purchased dough. That used to be uncommon here unless you
count that stuff in a tube. But now it is common here.

She would put tomato sauce on it and use cheese ends from the deli. If she
didn't have any cheese ends she would use whatever cheese she had in the
house. It was never the same twice. They are Sicilian too.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:09 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

English muffin pizza, best there is I had all these WW tricks lol.
Half a muffin lightly toasted, spread with a little ketchup, doesn't
need to be much or bottled pasta sauce (although usually not something
one wants to take a spoon full out of just for a muffin, lol. Sprinkle
with dried Italian herb mix and add some toppings (which I preheat in
the micro). Little bits of finely chopped mushroom, garlic, peppers,
ham, olives (or just olive juice if you like) etc. I like to add a
little chopped canned, unsweetened pineapple as well. Then top with a
bit of grated cheese and finally very thinly cut onion over that plus a
few dried chili flakes. Then put your little creation under the griller
to melt the cheese and semi cook the onion. A nice green salad and that
was lunch!

Old 11-07-2011, 10:35 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" wrote in message
English muffin pizza, best there is I had all these WW tricks lol. Half
a muffin lightly toasted, spread with a little ketchup, doesn't need to be
much or bottled pasta sauce (although usually not something one wants to
take a spoon full out of just for a muffin, lol. Sprinkle with dried
Italian herb mix and add some toppings (which I preheat in the micro).
Little bits of finely chopped mushroom, garlic, peppers, ham, olives (or
just olive juice if you like) etc. I like to add a little chopped canned,
unsweetened pineapple as well. Then top with a bit of grated cheese and
finally very thinly cut onion over that plus a few dried chili flakes.
Then put your little creation under the griller to melt the cheese and
semi cook the onion. A nice green salad and that was lunch!

I used to make these but daughter and husband didn't like them. For the
sauce I bought those tubes of tomato paste. I would mix a small amount of
that with a couple of drops of olive oil, a little water and Italian herbs.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:49 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Ozgirl" wrote in message
[...]

One of the many things that weren't available here back then. Pasta
sauce wasn't, tomato paste came in large jars and often went moldy in
the fridge before it was all used up.