Old 24-07-2011, 10:47 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Tonight's dinner.

"W. Baker" wrote in message
Alice Faber wrote:
: In article ,
: "W. Baker" wrote:

: RodS wrote:
: : On 24/07/2011 1:25 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
:
: :
: : I don't usually get food cravings although oddly today I was
craving
: : biscuits with sausage gravy
:
: : I have no idea what biscuits and sausage gravy are.
:
: : Tim Tams and pureed sausage ?
:
:
: : and I don't know why. Those are something I
: : very rarely eat! But if I am going to have a craving it's not
necessarily
: : for a salty food but a crunchy one. Granted a lot of the crunchy
foods I
: : might eat are salty.
: : --
: : (- -)
: : =m=(_)=m=
: : RodS T2
: : Australia
:
: In American English "biscuits" are similaar to unsweetened scones, not
: what we call "cookies," and other English speakers call "biscuits." I
: have no idea about sausage gravy as I have never seen, nor had it. I
: don't know if it is a gravy made from sausages or one that you put on
: sausages.

: It's a southern thing. It's a white gravy, fairly thick, with crumbles
: of breakfast sausage in it. Primary ingredients, aside from the sausage,
: would be flour and milk.

: --
: "Isn't embarrassing to quote something you didn't read and then attack
: what it didn't say?"--WG, where else but Usenet

No wonder I don't know much about it as I am no Souhern and i really is
one of the least kosher combos I could think of. Only if you used, say
crushed shrimp shells to flavot he white sauce could you top it for
treifness[unkosherness] :-)

I have made it using rice milk and you can use turkey sausage.

Old 24-07-2011, 11:14 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"RodS" wrote in message
On 24/07/2011 1:25 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

I don't usually get food cravings although oddly today I was craving
biscuits with sausage gravy

I have no idea what biscuits and sausage gravy are.

Tim Tams and pureed sausage ?

American biscuits are not sweet. They're a quick bread. Sort of like
a scone but no sugar.

I only add sugar to a scone if I want a sweet one like adding sultanas
or mixed dried fruit (like you put in a fruit cake) and only then a
little sugar and some sprinkled on top. I am more likely to make savoury
scones with ham, cheese, paprika etc. My kids prefer the plain ones,
warm, with butter and jam or honey.

Sausage gravy is a little bit of found sausage cooked,
then flour is added, then some milk or cream to make a gravy. Lots of
black pepper and sometimes hot pepper is added.

I like white sauce on fish, corned beef etc but a meat gravy I like to
be brown I would just have to add some gravy browning (for the looks
not the taste!) Parisian essence I used to have on hand when I was a
new bride, lol. I never did manage to make a brown gravy from the pan
drippings successfully.

Old 25-07-2011, 12:21 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" wrote in message

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"RodS" wrote in message
[...]

Found sausage? Yikes! Make that GROUND sausage.

Old 25-07-2011, 01:15 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 25/07/2011 7:23 AM, Ozgirl wrote:

"RodS" wrote in message ...
On 24/07/2011 1:25 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

I don't usually get food cravings although oddly today I was craving
biscuits with sausage gravy

I have no idea what biscuits and sausage gravy are.

Tim Tams and pureed sausage ?

Lol, scones and gravy I think or similar.

Thanks for all the answers, I am now adding Sausage gravy along with
Grits to my bucket list of things I never need to eat :-)

(- -)
=m=(_)=m=
RodS T2
Australia
Old 25-07-2011, 01:20 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:

: "W. Baker" wrote in message
: ...
: Alice Faber wrote:
: : In article ,
: : "W. Baker" wrote:
:
: : RodS wrote:
: : : On 24/07/2011 1:25 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
: :
: : :
: : : I don't usually get food cravings although oddly today I was
: craving
: : : biscuits with sausage gravy
: :
: : : I have no idea what biscuits and sausage gravy are.
: :
: : : Tim Tams and pureed sausage ?
: :
: :
: : : and I don't know why. Those are something I
: : : very rarely eat! But if I am going to have a craving it's not
: necessarily
: : : for a salty food but a crunchy one. Granted a lot of the crunchy
: foods I
: : : might eat are salty.
: : : --
: : : (- -)
: : : =m=(_)=m=
: : : RodS T2
: : : Australia
: :
[...]

OK, then I would just have the carbs to contend with:-)

Wendy

Old 25-07-2011, 03:10 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"RodS" wrote in message
On 24/07/2011 1:25 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

I don't usually get food cravings although oddly today I was
craving
biscuits with sausage gravy

I have no idea what biscuits and sausage gravy are.

Tim Tams and pureed sausage ?

Lol, scones and gravy I think or similar.

Thanks for all the answers, I am now adding Sausage gravy along with
Grits to my bucket list of things I never need to eat :-)

lol, and canned chicken?

Actually, near the tuna now there is small cans of snack chicken with
mayo I think. I put it on my son's "lunch - 11pm, lol" and he never said
anything about it. But this is the ex-Maccas kid who lived and breathed
Maccas food

Old 25-07-2011, 04:20 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:

: "W. Baker" wrote in message
: ...
: Alice Faber wrote:
: : In article ,
: : "W. Baker" wrote:
:
: : RodS wrote:
[...]

I did have them yesterday. It cured the craving. I had them with a dinner
salad and then I just ate the tops off of the biscuits which IMO is the best
part. BG was fine after.

Old 25-07-2011, 04:21 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"RodS" wrote in message
On 24/07/2011 1:25 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

I don't usually get food cravings although oddly today I was craving
biscuits with sausage gravy

I have no idea what biscuits and sausage gravy are.

Tim Tams and pureed sausage ?

Lol, scones and gravy I think or similar.

Thanks for all the answers, I am now adding Sausage gravy along with Grits
to my bucket list of things I never need to eat :-)

Dare I mention corn pone?

Old 25-07-2011, 04:25 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"RodS" wrote in message
On 24/07/2011 1:25 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

I don't usually get food cravings although oddly today I was craving
biscuits with sausage gravy

I have no idea what biscuits and sausage gravy are.

Tim Tams and pureed sausage ?

Lol, scones and gravy I think or similar.

Thanks for all the answers, I am now adding Sausage gravy along with
Grits to my bucket list of things I never need to eat :-)

lol, and canned chicken?

Actually, near the tuna now there is small cans of snack chicken with mayo
I think. I put it on my son's "lunch - 11pm, lol" and he never said
anything about it. But this is the ex-Maccas kid who lived and breathed
Maccas food

Angela and I have been eating canned chicken every week this summer. I got
a lot of coupons for Bob Evan's mashed potatoes which she loves. I didn't
like them when I first had them but they have grown on it. I heat those
then I make a gravy of the chicken by heating it along with the water it
comes in, in a large skillet. Then I add a little rice flour, pepper and
parsley. Cook for a minute then slowly stir in a can of chicken broth,
mashing the chicken as I go. Works for me because I can't stand biting into
a chunk of chicken. I also do this with canned turkey.

Winco foods carries a whole chicken in a can. Angela keeps wanting to buy
it but she too has an issue with bones in food so I would never buy it for
us. Might buy it for the food bank if I am ever feeling wealthy. I think it
costs about $8. The cans of chicken breast are much cheaper.

I guess what you like all depends on what you grew up on. We had a lot of
barely seasoned food and stuff from cans.

Old 25-07-2011, 05:51 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote in message
On 24/07/2011 1:25 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

I don't usually get food cravings although oddly today I was craving
biscuits with sausage gravy

I have no idea what biscuits and sausage gravy are.

Tim Tams and pureed sausage ?

Lol, scones and gravy I think or similar.

Thanks for all the answers, I am now adding Sausage gravy along with Grits
to my bucket list of things I never need to eat :-)

Dare I mention corn pone?

Heard of it no idea what it is, Corned pony perhaps ?

--
(- -)
=m=(_)=m=

Old 25-07-2011, 05:59 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote in message
On 24/07/2011 1:25 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

I don't usually get food cravings although oddly today I was craving
biscuits with sausage gravy

I have no idea what biscuits and sausage gravy are.

Tim Tams and pureed sausage ?

Lol, scones and gravy I think or similar.

Thanks for all the answers, I am now adding Sausage gravy along with
Grits
to my bucket list of things I never need to eat :-)

Dare I mention corn pone?

Heard of it no idea what it is, Corned pony perhaps ?

Apparently it's like corn bread but cooked over an open fire.

Old 25-07-2011, 05:25 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 7/24/2011 8:10 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

"RodS" wrote in message ...
On 25/07/2011 7:23 AM, Ozgirl wrote:

"RodS" wrote in message

snip
Lol, scones and gravy I think or similar.

Thanks for all the answers, I am now adding Sausage gravy along with
Grits to my bucket list of things I never need to eat :-)

lol, and canned chicken?

Actually, near the tuna now there is small cans of snack chicken with
mayo I think. I put it on my son's "lunch - 11pm, lol" and he never said
anything about it. But this is the ex-Maccas kid who lived and breathed
Maccas food

Jan, imagine my horror when hubby proudly came home with canned chicken!!!!

I have NO idea what to do with THAT.

Well, he brought it camping and made curried butter chicken with it.
Wow, it actually almost tasted like real chicken!

LOL

kate
Old 25-07-2011, 07:38 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

you guys have Kentucky fried chicken there in roo land..if you ever had one
of their biscuits..thats what you'd eat the gravy on.

mmmmm...kfc biscuits...

I miss those and the coleslaw

the chicken..not so much...

I worked there for a year as a kid and knowing what was behind the curtain
would only eat the biscuits/gravy/nuggets...the rest I never ate again...lol

as the whackadoo mel gibson once said their green chicken is disgusting..

KROM

Old 25-07-2011, 08:29 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"KROM" wrote in message ...
you guys have Kentucky fried chicken there in roo land..if you ever had
one of their biscuits..thats what you'd eat the gravy on.

mmmmm...kfc biscuits...

I miss those and the coleslaw

the chicken..not so much...

I worked there for a year as a kid and knowing what was behind the curtain
would only eat the biscuits/gravy/nuggets...the rest I never ate
again...lol

as the whackadoo mel gibson once said their green chicken is disgusting..

KROM

And they used to grind chicken skin into the gravy when my nephew worked
there. Why can't you have the coleslaw? Make it yourself.

Cheri