Old 19-07-2011, 07:20 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Tonight's dinner.

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
his grandfather cooked saltier than i liked, th dh doesn't except maybe
once in a while on pasta. i loved eating at his grandfather;'s house,
food good, but the house was always wonderful. even more than the salt,
the only thing consistent is the methodology, sauce, pizza, soup, never
the same but always excellent, as i type this maybe the beef was but i
only ate that a couple of times, Lee

That is how my MIL cooked. Never the same twice.

And my food often comes out that way. Especially soup and salad. I tend to
use whatever I have around in the house. Once in a while I will buy stuff
special for that. But not usually.

My meatloaf never comes out the same way twice either. Angela got excited
today because the HoMade chili sauce was on sale so I bought some. It's the
best stuff to use for meatloaf. Not sure when I'm going to make it though.
Our weather has been so temperamental. Mostly cold but once in a while a
warm day. I don't like to use the oven when it is warm. And I will for
sure need freezer space. Meatloaf is such a pain to make. It's one of the
few foods I do make extra of and put it in the freezer. But no freezer
space at the moment. Meatloaf is one food that we will all eat.

Old 19-07-2011, 07:31 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

i think some of the never comes out the same is because of not having much
money when they first came her from italy, when he was eight or so his
parents went back to italy but he hid and missed the boat so he was on his
own very young, Lee

Old 19-07-2011, 07:47 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
i think some of the never comes out the same is because of not having much
money when they first came her from italy, when he was eight or so his
parents went back to italy but he hid and missed the boat so he was on his
own very young, Lee

Wow! They left without him? Wow.

This is the sort of thing I had always envisioned that might happen to
Angela. Of course this never did happen but it's just her personality. She
hates being told what to do and always wants to have the final say even if
it is just yelling and screaming. If I tell her she has to be quiet (like
because I hear a weird noise in the background and want to know what it is),
that is the time she will start screaming.

I keep picturing in the back of my mind some sort of old time war story
where the family was in danger and had to hide and be quiet and she would be
the one who would decide not to do that.

When she was younger she ran out in front of a car in a parking lot once. I
immediately reached out and grabbed her back, probably as any parent would
do. And what did she do? Start lecturing me right then and there about how
I wasn't supposed to put my hands on her! She doesn't remember it now. She
is one of those kids who loves pointing out what other kids are doing wrong.
And running in front of cars is always something she will point out.

Thankfully she is old enough now that this is no longer much of a concern.
But when she was younger this was always in the back of my mind. She did
actually hide from me once. I was ready to kill her that day! She was in
preschool and we were living in NY. I had bought her a fancy yellow Easter
dress and she insisted on wearing the dress to school. Of course she came
home with some of the fancy bows and roses missing. I sort of knew that
would happen.

But she hated going to preschool. It wasn't required in NY but it was
strongly recommended and I felt it was necessary for her because she was so
painfully shy. So we headed out the door. But I forgot something and had
to turn back. It only took me a minute but in that length of time she had
vanished.

So I began calling for her. And she didn't answer. I panicked! We were
living in military housing and you did have to show your I.D. to drive in
there or even walk in through the gate. But people had been known to climb
fences and we were always on the lookout for people who didn't look like
they belonged because of frequent bomb threats to the Verazanno bridge that
we lived practically under.

Eventually I found her behind the next building over. The two women sitting
there looked at me like I was nuts for all my screaming her name. But I was
like... Um... You know she has to go to preschool now. You know I was
looking for her. Why didn't somebody answer me and tell me where she was?
Instead, the one woman who ran a daycare had fixed her a plate of fish
sticks for lunch! And I know she knew that Angela had her lunch at school
because we had talked about it. They had two different sessions and the
afternoon kids had to eat lunch there.

I am sooo glad those days are over. But in a week or so she will be a teen
and then there will be new worries.

Old 19-07-2011, 08:30 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

my brother once told my mom if she slapped him he would call child services,
my mom got out the phone book, wrote down the name of the police dept, fire
dept, ambulance and dcfs... now mind he wasn't in danger of needing slapped
this was because of another child at school... he took the paper and said
what's this for, she said, if you are calling dcfs and i'm going to jail i
intend to make it worth my while so YOU will need the ambulance and the
other kids will probably need the police or fire dept after you and i are
gone, then she slapped him right across the face, something i don't think
she did ever to any of us...

the real problem with your daughter is probably too many brains...

Lee

ps they had to get on the boat, there were like ten or twelve kids, and the
father had used almost all of their money to get the tickets, so no choice,

Old 19-07-2011, 09:21 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
my brother once told my mom if she slapped him he would call child
services, my mom got out the phone book, wrote down the name of the police
dept, fire dept, ambulance and dcfs... now mind he wasn't in danger of
needing slapped this was because of another child at school... he took the
paper and said what's this for, she said, if you are calling dcfs and i'm
going to jail i intend to make it worth my while so YOU will need the
ambulance and the other kids will probably need the police or fire dept
after you and i are gone, then she slapped him right across the face,
something i don't think she did ever to any of us...

the real problem with your daughter is probably too many brains...

Yeah. That and a mouth on her. I don't remember my grandma being that way.
But my mom and I both have a very smart mouth on us and she inherited it.

Old 23-07-2011, 05:50 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 7/19/2011 1:17 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
"Robert wrote in message
.com...
On 7/11/2011 1:59 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
wrote in message

[snip]
Did they like especially salty foods which I've read is
typical for Sicilian recipes?

She herself was very conscious of not using a lot of salt in her foods. And
I don't recall my FIL being big on the salt shaker. But my husband? He
oversalts EVERYTHING! Makes me sick just to watch him. He can not eat food
unless it has a lot of salt on it.

You may want to ask if he's been checked for a rather uncommon
condition called hyponatremia. People with that have too little
salt in their blood and often need to eat extra salt just to stay
alive.

Old 23-07-2011, 06:01 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote in message

[snip]
Did they like especially salty foods which I've read is
typical for Sicilian recipes?

She herself was very conscious of not using a lot of salt in her foods.
And
I don't recall my FIL being big on the salt shaker. But my husband? He
oversalts EVERYTHING! Makes me sick just to watch him. He can not eat
food
unless it has a lot of salt on it.

You may want to ask if he's been checked for a rather uncommon
condition called hyponatremia. People with that have too little
salt in their blood and often need to eat extra salt just to stay
alive.

Nope. He wouldn't care.

Old 24-07-2011, 02:43 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article ,
"Julie Bove" wrote:

I don't usually get food cravings although oddly today I was craving
biscuits with sausage gravy and I don't know why. Those are something I
very rarely eat! But if I am going to have a craving it's not necessarily
for a salty food but a crunchy one. Granted a lot of the crunchy foods I
might eat are salty.

I don't often get food cravings either, but when I do they're often what
I think of as indirect cravings. What I mean by this is that the craving
might actually agree for an ingredient or standard accompaniment for
what I think I crave. For instance, when I was in grad school and
getting used to living in the Texas heat, I would have occasional
cravings for French fries, which I don't actually *like* that much. I
finally realized that what I craved was the salt, and I could satisfy
the craving by putting extra salt in something else.

--
"Isn't embarrassing to quote something you didn't read and then attack
what it didn't say?"--WG, where else but Usenet
Old 24-07-2011, 04:28 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 24/07/2011 1:25 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

I don't usually get food cravings although oddly today I was craving
biscuits with sausage gravy

I have no idea what biscuits and sausage gravy are.

Tim Tams and pureed sausage ?

and I don't know why. Those are something I
very rarely eat! But if I am going to have a craving it's not necessarily
for a salty food but a crunchy one. Granted a lot of the crunchy foods I
might eat are salty.

--
(- -)
=m=(_)=m=
Old 24-07-2011, 05:45 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

:
: I don't usually get food cravings although oddly today I was craving
: biscuits with sausage gravy

: I have no idea what biscuits and sausage gravy are.

: Tim Tams and pureed sausage ?

: and I don't know why. Those are something I
: very rarely eat! But if I am going to have a craving it's not necessarily
: for a salty food but a crunchy one. Granted a lot of the crunchy foods I
: might eat are salty.
: --
: (- -)
: =m=(_)=m=
: RodS T2
: Australia

In American English "biscuits" are similaar to unsweetened scones, not
what we call "cookies," and other English speakers call "biscuits." I
have no idea about sausage gravy as I have never seen, nor had it. I
don't know if it is a gravy made from sausages or one that you put on
sausages.

Wendy

Old 24-07-2011, 06:16 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article ,
"W. Baker" wrote:

RodS wrote:
[...]

It's a southern thing. It's a white gravy, fairly thick, with crumbles
of breakfast sausage in it. Primary ingredients, aside from the sausage,
would be flour and milk.

Old 24-07-2011, 06:56 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Alice Faber wrote:
: In article ,
: "W. Baker" wrote:

: RodS wrote:
: : On 24/07/2011 1:25 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
:
: :
: : I don't usually get food cravings although oddly today I was craving
: : biscuits with sausage gravy
:
: : I have no idea what biscuits and sausage gravy are.
:
: : Tim Tams and pureed sausage ?
:
:
: : and I don't know why. Those are something I
: : very rarely eat! But if I am going to have a craving it's not necessarily
: : for a salty food but a crunchy one. Granted a lot of the crunchy foods I
: : might eat are salty.
: : --
: : (- -)
: : =m=(_)=m=
: : RodS T2
: : Australia
:
: In American English "biscuits" are similaar to unsweetened scones, not
: what we call "cookies," and other English speakers call "biscuits." I
: have no idea about sausage gravy as I have never seen, nor had it. I
: don't know if it is a gravy made from sausages or one that you put on
: sausages.

: It's a southern thing. It's a white gravy, fairly thick, with crumbles
: of breakfast sausage in it. Primary ingredients, aside from the sausage,
: would be flour and milk.

: --
: "Isn't embarrassing to quote something you didn't read and then attack
: what it didn't say?"--WG, where else but Usenet

No wonder I don't know much about it as I am no Souhern and i really is
one of the least kosher combos I could think of. Only if you used, say
crushed shrimp shells to flavot he white sauce could you top it for
treifness[unkosherness] :-)

Wendy
Old 24-07-2011, 10:23 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"RodS" wrote in message
On 24/07/2011 1:25 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

I don't usually get food cravings although oddly today I was craving
biscuits with sausage gravy

I have no idea what biscuits and sausage gravy are.

Tim Tams and pureed sausage ?

Lol, scones and gravy I think or similar.

Old 24-07-2011, 10:46 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"RodS" wrote in message ...
On 24/07/2011 1:25 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

I don't usually get food cravings although oddly today I was craving
biscuits with sausage gravy

I have no idea what biscuits and sausage gravy are.

Tim Tams and pureed sausage ?

American biscuits are not sweet. They're a quick bread. Sort of like a
scone but no sugar. Sausage gravy is a little bit of found sausage cooked,
then flour is added, then some milk or cream to make a gravy. Lots of black
pepper and sometimes hot pepper is added.