Old 11-07-2011, 07:03 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Tonight's dinner.

done it also, good, Lee
"Ozgirl" wrote in message
English muffin pizza, best there is I had all these WW tricks lol. Half
a muffin lightly toasted, spread with a little ketchup, doesn't need to be
much or bottled pasta sauce (although usually not something one wants to
take a spoon full out of just for a muffin, lol. Sprinkle with dried
Italian herb mix and add some toppings (which I preheat in the micro).
Little bits of finely chopped mushroom, garlic, peppers, ham, olives (or
just olive juice if you like) etc. I like to add a little chopped canned,
unsweetened pineapple as well. Then top with a bit of grated cheese and
finally very thinly cut onion over that plus a few dried chili flakes.
Then put your little creation under the griller to melt the cheese and
semi cook the onion. A nice green salad and that was lunch!

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
lol sorta like pizza for me, before ww i only ate it when dh insisted on
having it, after ww i realised i could get a cheese fix and feel like i
was getting more if it were melted on a crust so its a bit more regular
if not the traditional sort of pizza, Lee
"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
i eat less and less sands, now instead of a meal they are for a
snack/holdover. without health considerations i could eat bread and
little else, we all know thats not good even for some with no health
issues, i have been slowly weaning myself off crb type food, i can
proudly say that potatoes, formerly on my top five list is now be tween
seldom and rare, and while i need some starch with most meals its less
and less and often now is more complex than white, Lee

Funny thing is, prior to diabetes I rarely ever had bread in the house.
When I did, I usually made it myself and ate it with soup. If I had a
sandwich, it was in a restaurant. Thinking back on it now, I remember
going to a place called Sandwich Isle sometimes when I was at work
because they were right across the street. I only did this a few times
because not long after eating I would get sick to my stomach and have to
go home. I now realize it was probably the mayo they put on there. I
have that egg allergy but didn't realize it then. Since I didn't have a
very long lunch break I opted to take the sandwich the way they normally
made it because I got it quicker. But if I ordered a sandwich in a
regular restaurant I would always ask for no mayo.

I started buying the bread because back when I was diagnosed they kept
referring to the starch or carb choices as breads. And they weren't the
only ones to do this. I remember a friend who is not so bright looking
at a Weight Watcher's eating plan and telling me that she didn't know
peas were bread! Anyway... I guess I kept hearing the word bread so
much I felt I should buy it. I still don't eat a lot of bread but I
think I eat more now than I did before diabetes.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:52 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Storrmmee wrote:
: done it also, good, Lee
: "Ozgirl" wrote in message
: ...
: English muffin pizza, best there is I had all these WW tricks lol. Half
: a muffin lightly toasted, spread with a little ketchup, doesn't need to be
: much or bottled pasta sauce (although usually not something one wants to
: take a spoon full out of just for a muffin, lol. Sprinkle with dried
: Italian herb mix and add some toppings (which I preheat in the micro).
: Little bits of finely chopped mushroom, garlic, peppers, ham, olives (or
: just olive juice if you like) etc. I like to add a little chopped canned,
: unsweetened pineapple as well. Then top with a bit of grated cheese and
: finally very thinly cut onion over that plus a few dried chili flakes.
: Then put your little creation under the griller to melt the cheese and
: semi cook the onion. A nice green salad and that was lunch!
:

This sounds good, but i use low car tortillas and eat with a knife and
fork. I do use the jarred pasta sauce when I have made some kind of
eggplant parmigiana, or eggplant/zuchinni lasagna and have tons of sauce
left over going mouldy in the fridge. I will make enouh of the fake pasta
dish for two to thre days for me, but that still leaves quite a bit of
sauce left over so fake pizza is a great way to use it uup. I wonder how
a portobello mushroom whoud work as a base? I must try that one!!!

I am u in the country for a long week and kosher meat is not readily
avaiable so I grabed a pound of ground turkey(hence that meatloaf I sent
the recipe for) and a whole fresh chicken for the week and 2 weekends.
part of the meatloaf is currently in the freezer for later in the week adn
last night I roasted the whole chicken, just like i used to for a nice
family dinner, after removing as much fat as possible. I have most of a
breast/wing quarter, carved off the bird last night. there is NOTHING
like freshly roasted chcken! I will use the rest in various kinds of
reheataing or even a cold salad during the week. alernating it with the
turkey meatloaf.

My general directions for roasting a whole chicken-not a precise recipe as
I cannot state absolute ingredients.

Clean the bird and remove as much visible fat as possible. kosher birds
have been soaked and salted, kind of pre-brined, so I add no salt. You
can brine the bird if you like or else jsut salt it along with the other
seasonings. I then loosen the breast skin from the bottom and the top and
make some slits in the breast for seasonings and onion to get into.

Lemon Juice, from 1 lemon(jarred if fresh not available)

fresly ground pepper-to taste

mild curry powder

1 medium onion, half sliced and half diced

Herbs of your choice(last night I used some oregono and added stalks of
fresh rosemary inside the birs(remove before eating:-)

Peheat the oven to 425-450F

rub the seasonings all over the bird, under the breast skin and up the
thighs under the skin inside and all over. stick some thin slices of
onion under the brease skin and even into the slits if you wish. put the
diced onions up the thighs under the skin, inside adn under the bird. Any
slices can go under the birs too.
( I used to do this either the night before or a few hours before, but
now, often just do it right before cooking.

Place chicken, breast side up, in a roasting pan that it fits(not too big)
and put into the hot oven. Cook at this temperature about ah hour , or
until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh reads
165-175 F (I prefer it slightly less rather than mor done. Remove from
pan and make a thin gravy from the onions and juices in the pan by simply
adding hot water to the pan cooking n the to of the stove, beign sureto
scrape off all the yummy bits tht are stuck to the pan. don't be afraid
of using too much water as you can alway s boil it down. Gravy is rady
when it tastes good. Be sure to add the accumlated juices on the platter
you have put the chicken on, as they add greaat flavor.

That's it.

I know there are recipes that cal for 500F or higher ovens, but I find
that gets just too smokey in the kitchen. This is my compromise.

Wendy
Old 11-07-2011, 08:10 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

sounds nice, Lee
"W. Baker" wrote in message
Storrmmee wrote:
: done it also, good, Lee
: ...

Old 11-07-2011, 09:58 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote in message

This sounds good, but i use low car tortillas and eat with a knife and
fork. I do use the jarred pasta sauce when I have made some kind of
eggplant parmigiana, or eggplant/zuchinni lasagna and have tons of
sauce
left over going mouldy in the fridge. I will make enouh of the fake
pasta
dish for two to thre days for me, but that still leaves quite a bit of
sauce left over so fake pizza is a great way to use it uup. I wonder
how
a portobello mushroom whoud work as a base? I must try that one!!!

Low carb breads and flatbreads etc are few on the ground here these
days. They did have a few on offer when "Atkins" diet was popular. There
was also a pack of low carb tortillas available in pharmacies at the
Tony Ferguson section but I noticed they haven't been there lately.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:19 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ozgirl wrote:

: "W. Baker" wrote in message
: ...

[...]

We have far fewer than we had in the "Atkins" day, but still enough so
that I can get some, even if not a big choice. I get a dryish bread that
has 4 carbs a slice and use that for toast or for bread crumbs for that
meatloaf. I use the pitas for sandwiches on long bus trips( I recently
gave up my driver's lisence as I really don't see well enough and
shouldn't put, not only myself, but others at great risk, particularly in
even just cloudy weather when the slightest fog makes the car in front of
me disappear. Very sscary!)

Wendy

Old 11-07-2011, 10:28 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" wrote in message

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Ozgirl" wrote in message
English muffin pizza, best there is I had all these WW tricks lol.
Half a muffin lightly toasted, spread with a little ketchup, doesn't
need to be much or bottled pasta sauce (although usually not something
one wants to take a spoon full out of just for a muffin, lol. Sprinkle
with dried Italian herb mix and add some toppings (which I preheat in
the micro). Little bits of finely chopped mushroom, garlic, peppers,
ham, olives (or just olive juice if you like) etc. I like to add a
little chopped canned, unsweetened pineapple as well. Then top with a
bit of grated cheese and finally very thinly cut onion over that plus a
few dried chili flakes. Then put your little creation under the griller
to melt the cheese and semi cook the onion. A nice green salad and that
was lunch!

I used to make these but daughter and husband didn't like them. For the
sauce I bought those tubes of tomato paste. I would mix a small amount
of that with a couple of drops of olive oil, a little water and Italian
herbs.

One of the many things that weren't available here back then. Pasta sauce
wasn't, tomato paste came in large jars and often went moldy in the fridge
before it was all used up.

That's too bad. We can get small cans of tomato paste which are still too
large. I have since read that the thing to do is freeze little dabs of
them. The stuff in the tube is not widely available. I have to look for
places that sell Italian imports.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:21 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Ozgirl" wrote in message

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Ozgirl" wrote in message
[...]

We have tubes and small one use cans. I buy the no name brands and its
dirt cheap and just as tasty. I like tomato paste in pasta sauce as it
gives it a slight bitter taste whereas without it the sauces just taste
like sweet tomatoes.

Old 13-07-2011, 09:51 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

KROM wrote:
: that stinks...also try finding a bread that doesn?t contain hfcs or corn
: sugar or whatever name they are calling it as well...at least in my area
: only 2 out of the 100 bread varieties doesn?t.

: I thought maybe a good pumpernickel or rye or sour dough cut thin...but
: nothing to be found where I am.

: KROM

: "Ozgirl" wrote in message ...

: I searched high and low for low carb breads, tortillas etc yesterday.
: Zippo! Whilst I can handle the regular stuff I don't want to do it on
: a daily basis.

Krom, (I don't think this will help Jan) Do you get those little square
pcks of very dense pumpernickel or Rye, around here often called
Wetphalian rye or pumpernickel? We get a brand, rubschlager, but I don't
knowif it i snational. It is not a low carb or diet bread, but ihave a
packe I found inthe freezer left form my husban. it has 12 effective
carbs a slice and , although small and thin, is extremely dense and
filling. I hav ebeen havign some problems gettign to the store in the
country(no driver's lisence or car any more-5 miles from town) do I am
kidn of scavenging for a few days (relief in sight for tomorrow). I have
been using 1 slice with some meatloaf left from laast Friday(had beenin
the freezer a few dasy) and it makes a filling lunch. It is ever so much
more filling than most breads.

Wendy
Old 13-07-2011, 10:34 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

: "Ozgirl" wrote in message ...

[...]

We get those types of bread here. I used to get them a lot years ago. I
would spread them with ricotta, peanut butter I ground myself, sultanas,
grated carrot and pumpkin seeds, alfalfa sprouts, lol. Ate it with a
knife and fork - open sandwich. I loved it like that.
Wendy

Old 14-07-2011, 09:36 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

I have been looking for a dense rye bread or even crackers that dont have
hfcs with zero luck in my area..things that never had it before now do like
wheat thins and ritz..even the stores bakery uses giant bottles of the stuff
instead of sugar to bake.

they are a nation chain store sure but still I had hoped they didn't use it.

there is a couple bakeries around but the cost to my needing bread ratio is
low..lol

I miss the days when my store sold lc bread and carried things like
carbquick on the shelves..

KROM

Old 14-07-2011, 11:22 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote in message ...

KROM wrote:
that stinks...also try finding a bread that doesn?t contain hfcs or
corn sugar or whatever name they are calling it as well...at least
in my area only 2 out of the 100 bread varieties doesn?t.

I thought maybe a good pumpernickel or rye or sour dough cut
thin...but nothing to be found where I am.

Does your store have an area with imported foods? That is where this type
of bread is located in some stores. I just happen not to like it. The
bread that is. Not where it is located in the store.

Old 14-07-2011, 11:23 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

KROM wrote:
I like my hamburgers just on lettuce with tomatoes etc...but the all
beef doc grilled just cried for a bun..lol

Angela slices her hot dogs and dips them in sauce. Either BBQ or one she
makes of a mix of mustard and ketchup, sometimes with pickle relish mixed
in.

Old 19-07-2011, 06:00 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 7/11/2011 1:59 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
wrote in message
my dh is a pizza snob, cheese only he often makes it from scratch
including dough , his grandfather was cicilan, sp, for me i get tortillia
shells and fat free with some veggies, Lee

MIL made it from purchased dough. That used to be uncommon here unless you
count that stuff in a tube. But now it is common here.

She would put tomato sauce on it and use cheese ends from the deli. If she
didn't have any cheese ends she would use whatever cheese she had in the
house. It was never the same twice. They are Sicilian too.

Did they like especially salty foods which I've read is
typical for Sicilian recipes?

Old 19-07-2011, 06:10 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

his grandfather cooked saltier than i liked, th dh doesn't except maybe once
in a while on pasta. i loved eating at his grandfather;'s house, food good,
but the house was always wonderful. even more than the salt, the only thing
consistent is the methodology, sauce, pizza, soup, never the same but always
excellent, as i type this maybe the beef was but i only ate that a couple of
times, Lee
.com...

Old 19-07-2011, 07:17 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote in message
my dh is a pizza snob, cheese only he often makes it from scratch
including dough , his grandfather was cicilan, sp, for me i get
tortillia
shells and fat free with some veggies, Lee

MIL made it from purchased dough. That used to be uncommon here unless
you
count that stuff in a tube. But now it is common here.

She would put tomato sauce on it and use cheese ends from the deli. If
she
didn't have any cheese ends she would use whatever cheese she had in the
house. It was never the same twice. They are Sicilian too.

Did they like especially salty foods which I've read is
typical for Sicilian recipes?

She herself was very conscious of not using a lot of salt in her foods. And
I don't recall my FIL being big on the salt shaker. But my husband? He
oversalts EVERYTHING! Makes me sick just to watch him. He can not eat food
unless it has a lot of salt on it.