Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default OT Bad canned mushrooms

So... I've been setting about trying to put my garage back in order after
husband once again messed it up. She says he is "cleaning" it but his idea
of cleaning is anything but. Yeah, he does sweep the floor but... I found
all this toilet paper in there! It was in five different places. I bought
some big plastic bins to store the extra paper and plastic things. Would
you believe he actually removed it from there and put it elsewhere? Five
different elsewheres.

The cooler that I asked him to leave empty was full of the bottles of water
I'd bought at Costco and then couldn't find anywhere. So I had to buy
another case. There were also a couple of expired sodas and some sports
drinks that looked like they had been drug through the mud! I managed to
wash a few but one was so disgusting I just threw it out.

I moved my shelving unit back to where I had it. A place where it can be
accessed by all sides. I keep extra loose cans of soda there in dispensers.
Angela and husband like a variety of drinks so doing this works well. I
mostly just drink Lime Diet Coke and that is kept in a floor stack. Also on
the shelves are cases of things I bought at Costco like olives, vegetables,
meats, broth, juice and tuna. And underneath the shelves are bottled water
and sports drinks.

I then decided to tackle my canned goods cupboard. The cupboard is small
and I had so much stuff that some of it was sitting on the counter above it.
My intent was to organize and take the extras out to the garage so there
would be nothing on the cupboard.

Now I go through this cupboard faithfully around back to school time every
year. Sometimes an additional time or two. But somehow things escaped me.
There were some things that just expired in May or are going to expire
between now and August. Those are now residing on the counter so I know to
use them ASAP. And there's not a lot left in the cupboard. It's all clean
and we can see what we have.

But... But! But! How those mushrooms escaped me is beyond me! There were
two large cans from Albertson's that expired in 2006. Yes. Really! Two
small cans of Festival brand which were most likely purchased at Bartell's
on sale. I can't remember the date on those but very old. And then the
evil little Albertsons can with no date on it whatever. When I picked it
up, along came a can of tomato sauce. The can was stuck to it! I was
like... Huh? Then as I forcefully lifted it up, black juice spewed all
over the floor and my pant leg. Ick!

The can apparently had rotted to the point where the bottom of it was
separating from the edge. All of the juice had come out and the contents
inside were fairly dry. Oddly they were not moldy and did not smell bad so
I am thinking that the can must have remained somewhat intact until I forced
it up. Blech!

So I then made it my mission to get rid of anything that had no expiration
date on it, thinking it must be very old and especially those things that I
bought at Big Lots because I know I haven't bought canned goods for a couple
of years.

It was odd about the mushrooms though. Aside from the can being stuck, it
looked pristine. No bulging. No dents. Weird. Oh and I don't think I'll
be buying canned mushrooms again. Apparently I no longer use them. I know
I used to. I just can't remember what I used them in!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, "Julie Bove" >

> mostly just drink Lime Diet Coke and that is kept in a floor stack.

so you do "eat" junk food!
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message
> In article >, "Julie Bove"

>> mostly just drink Lime Diet Coke and that is kept in a floor stack.

> so you do "eat" junk food!

Diet soda isn't food.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, "Julie Bove" >
wrote:

> "Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message
> > In article >, "Julie Bove"

> >> mostly just drink Lime Diet Coke and that is kept in a floor stack.

> > so you do "eat" junk food!

> Diet soda isn't food.

What ever it is, you can be sure it isn't nutritious and by definition that
makes it junk food.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message
> In article >, "Julie Bove"
> >
> wrote:
>
>> "Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message

>> > so you do "eat" junk food!

>> Diet soda isn't food.

> What ever it is, you can be sure it isn't nutritious and by definition
> that
> makes it junk food.

It might not be nutritious but it certainly contains no carbs. And it's not
food.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, "Julie Bove" >
wrote:

> "Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message
> > In article >, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:

> >> Diet soda isn't food.

> > What ever it is, you can be sure it isn't nutritious and by definition that
> > makes it junk food.

> It might not be nutritious but it certainly contains no carbs. And it's not
> food.

So you eat cardboard?
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message
> In article >, "Julie Bove"
> >
> wrote:
>
>> "Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message
>> > In article >, "Julie Bove"

>> > What ever it is, you can be sure it isn't nutritious and by definition
>> > that
>> > makes it junk food.

>> It might not be nutritious but it certainly contains no carbs. And it's
>> not
>> food.

> So you eat cardboard?

No! I eat two meals a day. And a snack before bed. That is all the food
my body can handle. But I drink diet soda and water with meals and between
meals.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, "Julie Bove" >

> >> It might not be nutritious but it certainly contains no carbs. And it's
> >> not food.

> > So you eat cardboard?

> No! I eat two meals a day. And a snack before bed.

But cardboard has no carbs

That is all the food my
> body can handle. But I drink diet soda and water with meals and between
> meals.

Yes, we've gone over the fact that you do indeed eat/consume junk food/drinks
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message
> In article >, "Julie Bove"

>> > So you eat cardboard?

>> No! I eat two meals a day. And a snack before bed.

> But cardboard has no carbs
>

> That is all the food my
>> body can handle. But I drink diet soda and water with meals and between
>> meals.

> Yes, we've gone over the fact that you do indeed eat/consume junk
> food/drinks

Who are you? And why are you here? Do you have diabetes? Type 1 or type
2?

Or are you just here to troll me?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, "Julie Bove" >
wrote:

> >> No! I eat two meals a day. And a snack before bed.

> > But cardboard has no carbs
> >

> > That is all the food my
> >> body can handle. But I drink diet soda and water with meals and between
> >> meals.

> > Yes, we've gone over the fact that you do indeed eat/consume junk
> > food/drinks

> Who are you? And why are you here? Do you have diabetes? Type 1 or type
> 2?
>
> Or are you just here to troll me?

It is impossible to troll a TROLL

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message

>> > But cardboard has no carbs
>> >

>> > That is all the food my
>> >
>> > Yes, we've gone over the fact that you do indeed eat/consume junk
>> > food/drinks

>> Who are you? And why are you here? Do you have diabetes? Type 1 or
>> type
>> 2?
>>
>> Or are you just here to troll me?

> It is impossible to troll a TROLL

I've been here for about 14 years now. Not a troll.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, "Julie Bove" >
wrote:

> "Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message

> >> Who are you? And why are you here? Do you have diabetes? Type 1 or type
> >> 2?
> >>
> >> Or are you just here to troll me?

> > It is impossible to troll a TROLL

> I've been here for about 14 years now. Not a troll.

Sure you are. Either a long lived one or your illnesses have cascaded to allow
you to participate in the dark side. Don't deny the obvious, embrace it.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message
> In article >, "Julie Bove"
> >
> wrote:
>
>> "Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message
>> > In article >, "Julie Bove"

>> > It is impossible to troll a TROLL

>> I've been here for about 14 years now. Not a troll.

> Sure you are. Either a long lived one or your illnesses have cascaded to
> allow
> you to participate in the dark side. Don't deny the obvious, embrace it.

Go choke on your too salty jerky.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, "Julie Bove" >
wrote:

> >> I've been here for about 14 years now. Not a troll.

> > Sure you are. Either a long lived one or your illnesses have cascaded to
> > allow you to participate in the dark side. Don't deny the obvious, embrace
> > it.

> Go choke on your too salty jerky.

If you are going to flame, at least try to feel it. It shames you to channel a 5
year old
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 6/22/2011 3:00 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Malcom "Mal" > wrote in message

>>> Who are you? And why are you here? Do you have diabetes? Type 1 or
>>> type
>>> 2?
>>>
>>> Or are you just here to troll me?

>> It is impossible to troll a TROLL

> I've been here for about 14 years now. Not a troll.

Julie, you weren't about in 1999

when did you start?

i'm not calling you a troll, just the years don't add up, honey

kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 6/22/2011 3:00 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> "Malcom "Mal" > wrote in message

>>> It is impossible to troll a TROLL

>> I've been here for about 14 years now. Not a troll.
>>

> Julie, you weren't about in 1999
>
> when did you start?

I sure was! I was told I might have GD in 1997 and was diagnosed in 1998.
I was here then but did not post because nobody else here seemed to have GD.
Then in 1999, I was diagnosed with type 2 and began posting.

> i'm not calling you a troll, just the years don't add up, honey

Yes, they do! I originally posted as JBove but that led to confusion. Some
people thought I was a guy. I don't remember how long I used that name for
but then I changed it to Julie. I was a lurker when I lived on Cape Cod.
Was posting from CA, then NY and now here in WA.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"atec77" > wrote in message
> On 23/06/2011 3:18 PM, Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:

>>> Go choke on your too salty jerky.

>> If you are going to flame, at least try to feel it. It shames you to
>> channel a 5
>> year old

> Having been found out as the selfish troll she has tried to deny for years
> Julie got testy cranky and otherwise exposed as anti social self-centered
> and inconsiderate to friend and family
>

> and plonked

Oh gee and you said you already plonked me!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 6/23/2011 2:22 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Tiger > wrote in message

>>> I've been here for about 14 years now. Not a troll.
>>>

>> Julie, you weren't about in 1999
>>
>> when did you start?

> I sure was! I was told I might have GD in 1997 and was diagnosed in 1998.
> I was here then but did not post because nobody else here seemed to have GD.
> Then in 1999, I was diagnosed with type 2 and began posting.
>>
>> i'm not calling you a troll, just the years don't add up, honey

> Yes, they do! I originally posted as JBove but that led to confusion. Some
> people thought I was a guy. I don't remember how long I used that name for
> but then I changed it to Julie. I was a lurker when I lived on Cape Cod.
> Was posting from CA, then NY and now here in WA.

wow, where did the years go??

i remember your former nick used, and i remember you posting just prior
to diagnosis and referring to your GD of the time

yup, 14 yrs, OMG!

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

> In >, "Julie >
> wrote:
>
>> "Malcom "Mal" > wrote in message

>>> so you do "eat" junk food!

>> Diet soda isn't food.

> What ever it is, you can be sure it isn't nutritious and by definition that
> makes it junk food.

So water is junk food?
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Robert Miles" > wrote in message
.com...
> On 6/21/2011 5:41 PM, Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:
>> In >, "Julie
>> >
>> wrote:

>>> Diet soda isn't food.

>> What ever it is, you can be sure it isn't nutritious and by definition
>> that
>> makes it junk food.

> So water is junk food?

According to him.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

> In >, "Julie >

>>> So you eat cardboard?

>> No! I eat two meals a day. And a snack before bed.

> But cardboard has no carbs

Depends on whether you recognize that some fibers
are actually indigestible carbs.

> That is all the food my
>> body can handle. But I drink diet soda and water with meals and between
>> meals.

> Yes, we've gone over the fact that you do indeed eat/consume junk food/drinks

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, "Julie Bove" >
wrote:

> "Robert Miles" > wrote in message
> .com...
> > On 6/21/2011 5:41 PM, Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:
> >> In >, "Julie

> >> What ever it is, you can be sure it isn't nutritious and by definition
> >> that makes it junk food.

> > So water is junk food?

> According to him.

According to me (diet) soda is junk food. You may be too addled from your
confrontations with reality and think you saw me comment on water.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message
> In article >, "Julie Bove"
> >
> wrote:
>
>> "Robert Miles" > wrote in message
>> .com...

>> > So water is junk food?

>> According to him.

> According to me (diet) soda is junk food. You may be too addled from your
> confrontations with reality and think you saw me comment on water.

To the body, diet soda isn't much different than water.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message
> In article >, "Julie Bove"
> >
> wrote:
>
>> "Robert Miles" > wrote in message
>> .com...

>> > So water is junk food?

>> According to him.

> According to me (diet) soda is junk food. You may be too addled from
> your
> confrontations with reality and think you saw me comment on water.

Like you were when you asked if she ate cardboard? Foods/drinks with no
nutrition doesn't define them as junk food/drink. Water isn't nutritious
but its not junk food. Sugar laden foods full of trans fats etc are not
just empty calories but also could be defined as junk food as they have
the potential to cause more harm than good. Diet soda may or may not be
harmful, depends on which studies you believe. At best it could be just
a neutral drink. But soda contains water which is essential to life so
unless there is categoric proof that soda is dangerous to health then it
can't be called a junk food.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, "Julie Bove" >
wrote:

> >> According to him.

> > According to me (diet) soda is junk food. You may be too addled from your
> > confrontations with reality and think you saw me comment on water.

> To the body, diet soda isn't much different than water.

There are any number of studies that suggest that the artificial sweeteners in
diet soda may cause the body to flood the body with the desire to actually
eat/drink food with real calories...hardly the same effect you get with water

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message

>> > According to me (diet) soda is junk food. You may be too addled from
>> > your
>> > confrontations with reality and think you saw me comment on water.

>> To the body, diet soda isn't much different than water.

> There are any number of studies that suggest that the artificial
> sweeteners in
> diet soda may cause the body to flood the body with the desire to actually
> eat/drink food with real calories...hardly the same effect you get with
> water

And many studies that say that they don't. And for me they don't.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:

: "Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message
: ...
: > In article >, "Julie Bove"
: > >
: > wrote:
: >
: >
: >> >> > So water is junk food?
: >> >>
: >> >> According to him.
: >> >
: >> > According to me (diet) soda is junk food. You may be too addled from
: >> > your
: >> > confrontations with reality and think you saw me comment on water.
: >>
: >> To the body, diet soda isn't much different than water.
: >
: > There are any number of studies that suggest that the artificial
: > sweeteners in
: > diet soda may cause the body to flood the body with the desire to actually
: > eat/drink food with real calories...hardly the same effect you get with
: > water

: And many studies that say that they don't. And for me they don't.

What seems unclear to me is whether the diet soda causes some effect on
the body or if the sweetness causes the person to want to and eat more
sweets or carbs in general, likely adding to weight gain. The stusy did
not seem to test for that, just noted a corrolation.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message

>> > According to me (diet) soda is junk food. You may be too addled
>> > from your
>> > confrontations with reality and think you saw me comment on water.

>> To the body, diet soda isn't much different than water.

> There are any number of studies that suggest that the artificial
> sweeteners in
> diet soda *********may***** cause the body to flood the body with the
> desire to actually
> eat/drink food with real calories...hardly the same effect you get
> with water

38 years of diet soft drink has not given me the desire to eat or drink
more.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Ozgirl" > wrote:

> "Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message

> >> To the body, diet soda isn't much different than water.

> > There are any number of studies that suggest that the artificial
> > sweeteners in
> > diet soda *********may***** cause the body to flood the body with the
> > desire to actually
> > eat/drink food with real calories...hardly the same effect you get
> > with water

> 38 years of diet soft drink has not given me the desire to eat or drink
> more.

How do you know?
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, "Julie Bove" >
wrote:

> "Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message

> >> To the body, diet soda isn't much different than water.

> > There are any number of studies that suggest that the artificial sweeteners
> > in diet soda may cause the body to flood the body with the desire to
> > actually eat/drink food with real calories...hardly the same effect you get
> > with water

> And many studies that say that they don't. And for me they don't.

Possibly because you drink it before going to sleep?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Ozgirl" > wrote:
>
>> "Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in
>> message

>> > There are any number of studies that suggest that the artificial
>> > sweeteners in
>> > diet soda *********may***** cause the body to flood the body with
>> > the
>> > desire to actually
>> > eat/drink food with real calories...hardly the same effect you get
>> > with water

>> 38 years of diet soft drink has not given me the desire to eat or
>> drink
>> more.

> How do you know?

Because I "undereat" and meals/snacks are at regular intervals - little
and often (and perfectly satisfied). Been that way for a long time. I'd
know if I craved more food or more often, wouldn't you?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:
> In article >,
> "Ozgirl" > wrote:
>
>> "Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in
>> message

>>> There are any number of studies that suggest that the artificial
>>> sweeteners in
>>> diet soda *********may***** cause the body to flood the body with
>>> the desire to actually
>>> eat/drink food with real calories...hardly the same effect you get
>>> with water

>> 38 years of diet soft drink has not given me the desire to eat or
>> drink more.

> How do you know?

OMG!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ozgirl wrote:
> "Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in
> message
>> In article >,
>> "Ozgirl" > wrote:
>>
>>> "Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in
>>> message

>>> 38 years of diet soft drink has not given me the desire to eat or
>>> drink
>>> more.

>> How do you know?

> Because I "undereat" and meals/snacks are at regular intervals -
> little and often (and perfectly satisfied). Been that way for a long
> time. I'd know if I craved more food or more often, wouldn't you?

I'm with you. Because of the gastroparesis I rarely feel any hunger. And
rarer still want any sweets. The diet soda I drink does not taste sweet.
Diet Pepsi tastes sweet to me. So for that reason I dislike it. I never
was much of a drinker but when I did drink the drinks had to be extra brut,
dry, bitter or sour. Otherwise I didn't like them.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:
> In article >, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> "Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in
>> message
>>> In article >, "Julie Bove"

>>> There are any number of studies that suggest that the artificial
>>> sweeteners in diet soda may cause the body to flood the body with
>>> the desire to actually eat/drink food with real calories...hardly
>>> the same effect you get with water

>> And many studies that say that they don't. And for me they don't.

> Possibly because you drink it before going to sleep?

Well I do but... My dreams are rarely ever of food and I do not get up in
the night to eat anything. Nor do I wake up hungry. So...

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

do you ever have anything positive to say? Lee

"Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Ozgirl" > wrote:
>
>> "Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message

>> > There are any number of studies that suggest that the artificial
>> > sweeteners in
>> > diet soda *********may***** cause the body to flood the body with the
>> > desire to actually
>> > eat/drink food with real calories...hardly the same effect you get
>> > with water

>> 38 years of diet soft drink has not given me the desire to eat or drink
>> more.

> How do you know?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, "Julie Bove" >
wrote:

> >> And many studies that say that they don't. And for me they don't.

> > Possibly because you drink it before going to sleep?

> Well I do but... My dreams are rarely ever of food and I do not get up in
> the night to eat anything. Nor do I wake up hungry. So...

It's truly amazing how a good nights sleep will allow the body to purge
something, even yours, isn't it?
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Storrmmee" > wrote:

> do you ever have anything positive to say? Lee

Of course. I said: cakes and cookies don't have to be junk food, I made more
than a few positive suggestions on how Julie could resolve her posted rant about
her mother and I was positive that diet soda is junk food

> "Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message
> > In article >,

> >> 38 years of diet soft drink has not given me the desire to eat or drink
> >> more.

> > How do you know?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message

>> > Possibly because you drink it before going to sleep?

>> Well I do but... My dreams are rarely ever of food and I do not get up
>> in
>> the night to eat anything. Nor do I wake up hungry. So...

> It's truly amazing how a good nights sleep will allow the body to purge
> something, even yours, isn't it?

OMG!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Ozgirl" > wrote:

> >> 38 years of diet soft drink has not given me the desire to eat or
> >> drink
> >> more.

> > How do you know?

> Because I "undereat" and meals/snacks are at regular intervals - little
> and often (and perfectly satisfied). Been that way for a long time.

When was the last time you went without drinking diet soft drinks for any length
of time? Did it change the way you "undereat"?

>I'd know if I craved more food or more often, wouldn't you?

In general I'd suspect most would. But I also suspect that over time many things
become "normal" that really aren't
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Storrmmee" > wrote:
>
>> do you ever have anything positive to say? Lee

> Of course. I said: cakes and cookies don't have to be junk food, I made
> more
> than a few positive suggestions on how Julie could resolve her posted rant
> about
> her mother and I was positive that diet soda is junk food

No. You didn't make any suggestions that would resolve anything. Bottom
line, I didn't want any dessert. And she didn't believe me.