Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Advice on Sub for Condensed Milk

I saw a ecipe for Key lime bars on the America's
Test Kitchen site. It calls for an animal cracker crus which I would
replace with a nut crus, but the recipe calls or condensed milk, clearly
not accepable. I thought that a combo of evaporated milk with Sucralose
drops or Splenda shoudl work out well as it is a kind of custardy stuff.
Does anyone know how much sweetener to use with teh evaporated milk? I
know one can test with taste, but I have no idea of what condensed milk
eally tastes like, but I do know it is quite sweet.

If I work out the reipe, I will send it to this newsgroup.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> I saw a ecipe for Key lime bars on the America's
> Test Kitchen site. It calls for an animal cracker crus which I would
> replace with a nut crus, but the recipe calls or condensed milk,
> clearly
> not accepable. I thought that a combo of evaporated milk with
> Sucralose
> drops or Splenda shoudl work out well as it is a kind of custardy
> stuff.
> Does anyone know how much sweetener to use with teh evaporated milk?
> know one can test with taste, but I have no idea of what condensed
> milk
> eally tastes like, but I do know it is quite sweet.
>
> If I work out the reipe, I will send it to this newsgroup.
>
> Wendy

Evaporated milk is concentrated. Will be more carbs than regular milk.
Is there something you could use with gelatin. I am not familiar with
key lime pie etc that I hear Americans talk about. Sugar free pudding
flavoured with the lime and less liquid to cover the addition of lime
juice? Condensed milk has a weird taste IMO. My nan used to use it to
make ice cream back in the day. I remember my eldest daughter had
evaporated milk as baby for a while on the advice of a clinic sister.
She had a horrid odour come out through her pores while she was on it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Would this filling work on your bars?

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/key-lim...on/detail.aspx

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> I saw a ecipe for Key lime bars on the America's
> Test Kitchen site. It calls for an animal cracker crus which I would
> replace with a nut crus, but the recipe calls or condensed milk,
> clearly
> not accepable. I thought that a combo of evaporated milk with
> Sucralose
> drops or Splenda shoudl work out well as it is a kind of custardy
> stuff.
> Does anyone know how much sweetener to use with teh evaporated milk?
> know one can test with taste, but I have no idea of what condensed
> milk
> eally tastes like, but I do know it is quite sweet.
>
> If I work out the reipe, I will send it to this newsgroup.
>
> Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

replace the condensed milk with heavy cream and gelatin if its a cold
recipe..as in set in the fridge..if its a cooked in oven pie I make a
custard then fold in whipped egg whites and bake in a low oven for 2 hours.

I have made French silk pie both cooked in oven and set in fridge..both were
delicious.

KROM