Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default favorite green bean recipe?

Hi All,

Fresh green beans are in abundance right now, and I have a giant bag
in the refrigerator to use up soon with more coming later in the week.
Usually I just steam them and serve with salt and pepper and a squeeze
of lemon, or stir fry with black bean sauce or garlic sauce, but we
gorged on asparagus throughout that season done the same way and I
think we're just tried of those flavors.

Anyone have a favorite green bean recipe they'd be willing to share?

Best,

Ricavito
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 6/14/2011 9:48 AM, Ricavito wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Fresh green beans are in abundance right now, and I have a giant bag
> in the refrigerator to use up soon with more coming later in the week.
> Usually I just steam them and serve with salt and pepper and a squeeze
> of lemon, or stir fry with black bean sauce or garlic sauce, but we
> gorged on asparagus throughout that season done the same way and I
> think we're just tried of those flavors.
>
> Anyone have a favorite green bean recipe they'd be willing to share?
>
> Best,
>
> Ricavito

steamed until they are still crisp

add baked slivered almonds just before serving

enjoy!
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ricavito wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Fresh green beans are in abundance right now, and I have a giant bag
> in the refrigerator to use up soon with more coming later in the week.
> Usually I just steam them and serve with salt and pepper and a squeeze
> of lemon, or stir fry with black bean sauce or garlic sauce, but we
> gorged on asparagus throughout that season done the same way and I
> think we're just tried of those flavors.
>
> Anyone have a favorite green bean recipe they'd be willing to share?
>
> Best,
>
> Ricavito

My favorites are probably Barbara Tropp's dry sauteed green beans (The
Modern Art of Chinese Cooking), and Madhur Jaffrey's green beans in onion
paste (An Invitation to Indian Cooking). But frankly, both recipes are long
and I don't feel like typing them up on the remote possibility that someone
will want to use them.

Another great green bean method is to toss with olive oil, coarse salt,
garlic and fresh pepper and roast in a pre-heated pan in a 500 degree oven .
Combining them with some thickly sliced onions and red peppers before
roasting work well. Afterwards they can be sprinkled with some balsamic
vinegar and crushed herbes de provence if you wish. Good at room temp.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 6/14/2011 9:48 AM, Ricavito wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Fresh green beans are in abundance right now, and I have a giant bag
>> in the refrigerator to use up soon with more coming later in the
>> week.
>> Usually I just steam them and serve with salt and pepper and a
>> squeeze
>> of lemon, or stir fry with black bean sauce or garlic sauce, but we
>> gorged on asparagus throughout that season done the same way and I
>> think we're just tried of those flavors.
>>
>> Anyone have a favorite green bean recipe they'd be willing to share?
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Ricavito

> steamed until they are still crisp
>
> add baked slivered almonds just before serving
>
> enjoy!

Have you got Adam's green bean casserole recipe?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I must be boring, I love every vegetable as is My daughter just
simply does the garlic and butter meltover straight after they are
cooked.

"Ricavito" > wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> Fresh green beans are in abundance right now, and I have a giant bag
> in the refrigerator to use up soon with more coming later in the week.
> Usually I just steam them and serve with salt and pepper and a squeeze
> of lemon, or stir fry with black bean sauce or garlic sauce, but we
> gorged on asparagus throughout that season done the same way and I
> think we're just tried of those flavors.
>
> Anyone have a favorite green bean recipe they'd be willing to share?
>
> Best,
>
> Ricavito

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Jun 14, 3:01*pm, "Ozgirl" > wrote:
> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message

> > On 6/14/2011 9:48 AM, Ricavito wrote:
> >> Hi All,

> >> Fresh green beans are in abundance right now, and I have a giant bag
> >> in the refrigerator to use up soon with more coming later in the
> >> week.
> >> Usually I just steam them and serve with salt and pepper and a
> >> squeeze
> >> of lemon, or stir fry with black bean sauce or garlic sauce, but we
> >> gorged on asparagus throughout that season done the same way and I
> >> think we're just tried of those flavors.

> >> Anyone have a favorite green bean recipe they'd be willing to share?

> >> Best,

> >> Ricavito

> > steamed until they are still crisp

> > add baked slivered almonds just before serving

> > enjoy!

> Have you got Adam's green bean casserole recipe?- Hide quoted text -

Hmmmm, I tried googling "Adam's green been casserole" and got a lot of
hits, some of which featured canned mushroom soup and canned onion
rings (shiver). I agree raw is always good (well, I always add
salt), but I've got a LOT of green beans.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Jun 14, 11:00*am, Tiger Lily > wrote:
> On 6/14/2011 9:48 AM, Ricavito wrote:
>
> > Hi All,

> > Fresh green beans are in abundance right now, and I have a giant bag
> > in the refrigerator to use up soon with more coming later in the week.
> > Usually I just steam them and serve with salt and pepper and a squeeze
> > of lemon, or stir fry with black bean sauce or garlic sauce, but we
> > gorged on asparagus throughout that season done the same way and I
> > think we're just tried of those flavors.

> > Anyone have a favorite green bean recipe they'd be willing to share?

> > Best,

> > Ricavito

> steamed until they are still crisp
>
> add baked slivered almonds just before serving
>
> enjoy!

Thanks, I have sliced almonds in the freezer so will give this a try,
probably tonight becuase it will be quick and easy.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Jun 14, 12:39*pm, "Janet" > wrote:
> Ricavito wrote:
> > Hi All,

> > Fresh green beans are in abundance right now, and I have a giant bag
> > in the refrigerator to use up soon with more coming later in the week.
> > Usually I just steam them and serve with salt and pepper and a squeeze
> > of lemon, or stir fry with black bean sauce or garlic sauce, but we
> > gorged on asparagus throughout that season done the same way and I
> > think we're just tried of those flavors.

> > Anyone have a favorite green bean recipe they'd be willing to share?

> > Best,

> > Ricavito

> My favorites are probably Barbara Tropp's dry sauteed green beans (The
> Modern Art of Chinese Cooking), and Madhur Jaffrey's green beans in onion
> paste (An Invitation to Indian Cooking). But frankly, both recipes are long
> and I don't feel like typing them up on the remote possibility that someone
> will want to use them.
>
> Another great green bean method is to toss with olive oil, coarse salt,
> garlic and fresh pepper and roast in a pre-heated pan in a 500 degree oven .

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ricavito" > wrote in message
> On Jun 14, 3:01 pm, "Ozgirl" > wrote:

>> > steamed until they are still crisp

>> > add baked slivered almonds just before serving

>> > enjoy!

>> Have you got Adam's green bean casserole recipe?- Hide quoted text -

> Hmmmm, I tried googling "Adam's green been casserole" and got a lot of
> hits, some of which featured canned mushroom soup and canned onion
> rings (shiver). I agree raw is always good (well, I always add
> salt), but I've got a LOT of green beans.

I wonder if it is the Adam I am thinking of. I will ask him what his
recipe is and get back to you.
Hopefully its not the canned soup and canned onion one

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ricavito" > wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> Fresh green beans are in abundance right now, and I have a giant bag
> in the refrigerator to use up soon with more coming later in the week.
> Usually I just steam them and serve with salt and pepper and a squeeze
> of lemon, or stir fry with black bean sauce or garlic sauce, but we
> gorged on asparagus throughout that season done the same way and I
> think we're just tried of those flavors.
>
> Anyone have a favorite green bean recipe they'd be willing to share?

I don't like steamed vegetables. I usually just boil mine with a little
salt and pepper. Sometimes I like a bit of red onion in them. I like them
with bacon but haven't found an actual way of making them at home that I
like. I once made a potato salad that had slices of potato, slices of
onion, green beans and a lemon and olive oil dressing. It was good.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>I must be boring, I love every vegetable as is My daughter just simply
>does the garlic and butter meltover straight after they are cooked.

I generally prefer them that way too. I do like Tater Tot casserole and I
put green beans in that but Angela will only eat the canned ones. I don't
make it the usual way with the cream of whatever soup. I use gravy or
ketchup to mix with the beef and beans.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

> > On 6/14/2011 9:48 AM, Ricavito wrote:
> >> Hi All,

> >> Fresh green beans are in abundance right now, and I have a giant bag
> >> in the refrigerator to use up soon with more coming later in the
> >> week.
> >> Usually I just steam them and serve with salt and pepper and a
> >> squeeze
> >> of lemon, or stir fry with black bean sauce or garlic sauce, but we
> >> gorged on asparagus throughout that season done the same way and I
> >> think we're just tried of those flavors.

> >> Anyone have a favorite green bean recipe they'd be willing to share?

> >> Best,

> >> Ricavito

I posted this awhile ago. I like it a lot, but right now in CA as you know,
the weather is a little warm for it. :-)

Cheri

Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse and Felicia Willett, 1999

>>> Country Green Beans and Ham
>>>

>>> 2 TBS olive oil
>>> 1 ham shank, cut into 1-inch cubes
>>> Fresly ground black pepper
>>> 2 cups thinly sliced yellow onions
>>> Salt
>>> 3 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed
>>> Water
>>>
>>> In large saucepan, with lid, over medium heat, add the oil. Season
>>> the ham with the black pepper. Add the ham and cook for 2 min on each
>>> side.
>>> Remove and set aside. Add the onions. Season with salt and pepper. Saute
>>> for 2 minutes.
>>> Add the reserved ham back to the pan, add the green beans. Cover the
>>> beans completely with water.
>>> Bring the liquid to a boil, reduce heat to medium low, partially cover
>>> and cook for 2 hours.
>>> Remove from heat and re-season if necessary.
>>>
>>> 8-10 servings.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 6/14/2011 4:01 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
>> On 6/14/2011 9:48 AM, Ricavito wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> Fresh green beans are in abundance right now, and I have a giant bag
>>> in the refrigerator to use up soon with more coming later in the week.
>>> Usually I just steam them and serve with salt and pepper and a squeeze
>>> of lemon, or stir fry with black bean sauce or garlic sauce, but we
>>> gorged on asparagus throughout that season done the same way and I
>>> think we're just tried of those flavors.
>>>
>>> Anyone have a favorite green bean recipe they'd be willing to share?
>>>
>>> Best,
>>>
>>> Ricavito

>> steamed until they are still crisp
>>
>> add baked slivered almonds just before serving
>>
>> enjoy!

> Have you got Adam's green bean casserole recipe?

no, but i can ask

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 6/14/2011 5:48 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

> "Ricavito" > wrote in message

>>> share?

>>> Have you got Adam's green bean casserole recipe?- Hide quoted text -

>> Hmmmm, I tried googling "Adam's green been casserole" and got a lot of
>> hits, some of which featured canned mushroom soup and canned onion
>> rings (shiver). I agree raw is always good (well, I always add
>> salt), but I've got a LOT of green beans.

> I wonder if it is the Adam I am thinking of. I will ask him what his
> recipe is and get back to you.
> Hopefully its not the canned soup and canned onion one

no, not our Adam, he is a good cook!
lol

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Jun 14, 9:42*pm, "Cheri" > wrote:

> I posted this awhile ago. I like it a lot, but right now in CA as you know,
> the weather is a little warm for it. :-)
>
> Cheri
>
> *Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse and Felicia Willett, 1999

Oh yeah baby, green beans cooked into submission with pork southern
style. If I made them like this I would have to make cornbread too.
Or lady peas, if I could even find them here in CA.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Jun 14, 5:32*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Ricavito" > wrote in message

> > Hi All,

> > Fresh green beans are in abundance right now, and I have a giant bag
> > in the refrigerator to use up soon with more coming later in the week.
> > Usually I just steam them and serve with salt and pepper and a squeeze
> > of lemon, or stir fry with black bean sauce or garlic sauce, but we
> > gorged on asparagus throughout that season done the same way and I
> > think we're just tried of those flavors.

> > Anyone have a favorite green bean recipe they'd be willing to share?

> I don't like steamed vegetables. *I usually just boil mine with a little
> salt and pepper. *Sometimes I like a bit of red onion in them. *I like them
> with bacon but haven't found an actual way of making them at home that I
> like. *I once made a potato salad that had slices of potato, slices of
> onion, green beans and a lemon and olive oil dressing. *It was good.

Julie, do you know of a good Mexican style green bean recipe? I found
a few on line that sound like of like a stew with jalapeno, onion,
cilantro, and tomato.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 6/14/2011 4:01 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

>>> steamed until they are still crisp
>>>
>>> add baked slivered almonds just before serving
>>>
>>> enjoy!

>> Have you got Adam's green bean casserole recipe?

> no, but i can ask

He is sending it by email Hope its not the mushroom soup one

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ricavito" > wrote in message
On Jun 14, 5:32 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Ricavito" > wrote in message

> > Hi All,

> > Fresh green beans are in abundance right now, and I have a giant bag
> > in the refrigerator to use up soon with more coming later in the week.
> > Usually I just steam them and serve with salt and pepper and a squeeze
> > of lemon, or stir fry with black bean sauce or garlic sauce, but we
> > gorged on asparagus throughout that season done the same way and I
> > think we're just tried of those flavors.

> > Anyone have a favorite green bean recipe they'd be willing to share?

> I don't like steamed vegetables. I usually just boil mine with a little
> salt and pepper. Sometimes I like a bit of red onion in them. I like them
> with bacon but haven't found an actual way of making them at home that I
> like. I once made a potato salad that had slices of potato, slices of
> onion, green beans and a lemon and olive oil dressing. It was good.

Julie, do you know of a good Mexican style green bean recipe? I found
a few on line that sound like of like a stew with jalapeno, onion,
cilantro, and tomato.

Sorry, no. I have seen some but haven't tried any.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Adam's recipe :

3 pounds of frozen French-cut green beans to 1 pound of Velveeta to 1
large can of French's French-fried onions.

1. Cook the green beans and keep them HOT.

2. Cube the Velveeta, toss it in a bowl, and nuke in 30-second
increments, stirring between, until it's all melted.

3. Mix the cheese into the HOT beans. The beans must be HOT else
the cheese will solidify.

4. Pour into a greased oblong shallow casserole dish, top with the
onions, and bake at 350 for about 30 minutes or until bubbly all the way
through.

5. Enjoy!

Adam has a large extended family and usually makes this his contribution
at family get togethers

"Ricavito" > wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> Fresh green beans are in abundance right now, and I have a giant bag
> in the refrigerator to use up soon with more coming later in the week.
> Usually I just steam them and serve with salt and pepper and a squeeze
> of lemon, or stir fry with black bean sauce or garlic sauce, but we
> gorged on asparagus throughout that season done the same way and I
> think we're just tried of those flavors.
>
> Anyone have a favorite green bean recipe they'd be willing to share?
>
> Best,
>
> Ricavito

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

my mom makes the traditional southern bacon/onions/beans in the cast iron
for family things, she starts withtwo quarts to give you an idea of the food
prepared...

I meant to send eariler the worlds easiest green bean recipe,... feel free
to substitute fres/frozen for anything it all works...

emough garlic and onion to accomodate a can of green beans and a can of
tomatoes...

put garlic and onions in pan and saute in fat of choice until sweated... you
can add a can of mushrooms here if you want, but drain and reserve can
julces... then do same for green beans and tomatoes, leaving enough time
inbetween for a bit of saute flavor melding... then once its all together,
add enough of the mixed juices back so you can simmer for about ten minutes,
add spicing of choice, we most often use itilian, but mexia
"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Adam's recipe :
>
> 3 pounds of frozen French-cut green beans to 1 pound of Velveeta to 1
> large can of French's French-fried onions.
>
> 1. Cook the green beans and keep them HOT.
>
> 2. Cube the Velveeta, toss it in a bowl, and nuke in 30-second
> increments, stirring between, until it's all melted.
>
> 3. Mix the cheese into the HOT beans. The beans must be HOT else the
> cheese will solidify.
>
> 4. Pour into a greased oblong shallow casserole dish, top with the
> onions, and bake at 350 for about 30 minutes or until bubbly all the way
> through.
>
> 5. Enjoy!
>can or greek mixes work good too.

save the reserved juice for your next bath of soup if you don't add it
back...

alternatively, if you have some leftover meat throw it in at the beginning
after the onions and garlic, and add back all the juice and make it soup.
Lee

Lee
> Adam has a large extended family and usually makes this his contribution
> at family get togethers
>

> "Ricavito" > wrote in message
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Fresh green beans are in abundance right now, and I have a giant bag
>> in the refrigerator to use up soon with more coming later in the week.
>> Usually I just steam them and serve with salt and pepper and a squeeze
>> of lemon, or stir fry with black bean sauce or garlic sauce, but we
>> gorged on asparagus throughout that season done the same way and I
>> think we're just tried of those flavors.
>>
>> Anyone have a favorite green bean recipe they'd be willing to share?
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Ricavito

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

oops hit send too soon, cat distraction, mexican or greek spices work well
also, Lee
"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> my mom makes the traditional southern bacon/onions/beans in the cast iron
> for family things, she starts withtwo quarts to give you an idea of the
> food prepared...
>
> I meant to send eariler the worlds easiest green bean recipe,... feel free
> to substitute fres/frozen for anything it all works...
>
> emough garlic and onion to accomodate a can of green beans and a can of
> tomatoes...
>
> put garlic and onions in pan and saute in fat of choice until sweated...
> you can add a can of mushrooms here if you want, but drain and reserve can
> julces... then do same for green beans and tomatoes, leaving enough time
> inbetween for a bit of saute flavor melding... then once its all together,
> add enough of the mixed juices back so you can simmer for about ten
> minutes, add spicing of choice, we most often use itilian, but mexia
> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>> Adam's recipe :
>>
>> 3 pounds of frozen French-cut green beans to 1 pound of Velveeta to 1
>> large can of French's French-fried onions.
>>
>> 1. Cook the green beans and keep them HOT.
>>
>> 2. Cube the Velveeta, toss it in a bowl, and nuke in 30-second
>> increments, stirring between, until it's all melted.
>>
>> 3. Mix the cheese into the HOT beans. The beans must be HOT else
>> the cheese will solidify.
>>
>> 4. Pour into a greased oblong shallow casserole dish, top with the
>> onions, and bake at 350 for about 30 minutes or until bubbly all the way
>> through.
>>
>> 5. Enjoy!
>>can or greek mixes work good too.

> save the reserved juice for your next bath of soup if you don't add it
> back...
>
> alternatively, if you have some leftover meat throw it in at the beginning
> after the onions and garlic, and add back all the juice and make it soup.
> Lee
>
> Lee
>> Adam has a large extended family and usually makes this his contribution
>> at family get togethers
>>

>> "Ricavito" > wrote in message
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> Fresh green beans are in abundance right now, and I have a giant bag
>>> in the refrigerator to use up soon with more coming later in the week.
>>> Usually I just steam them and serve with salt and pepper and a squeeze
>>> of lemon, or stir fry with black bean sauce or garlic sauce, but we
>>> gorged on asparagus throughout that season done the same way and I
>>> think we're just tried of those flavors.
>>>
>>> Anyone have a favorite green bean recipe they'd be willing to share?
>>>
>>> Best,
>>>
>>> Ricavito

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> my mom makes the traditional southern bacon/onions/beans in the cast
> iron for family things, she starts withtwo quarts to give you an idea
> of the food prepared...
>
> I meant to send eariler the worlds easiest green bean recipe,... feel
> free to substitute fres/frozen for anything it all works...
>
> emough garlic and onion to accomodate a can of green beans and a can
> of tomatoes...
>
> put garlic and onions in pan and saute in fat of choice until
> sweated... you can add a can of mushrooms here if you want, but drain
> and reserve can julces... then do same for green beans and tomatoes,
> leaving enough time inbetween for a bit of saute flavor melding...
> then once its all together, add enough of the mixed juices back so you
> can simmer for about ten minutes, add spicing of choice, we most often
> use itilian,

I love my veggies as is but at times I do zuchini in a similar way.
Onions, garlic, canned crushed tomatoes, chunks of zuchini and fresh
Italian herbs - oh and some tomato paste (I like the bitterness it gives
to tomato dishes). I saute the onion and garlic first and then add
everything, bring to the boil and simmer slowly for as long as you like.
Add a slurp of good quality, strong flavoured olive oil at the end
before serving.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

we do this except for the oil at the end, only fat is to sautee the onion,
we also do this with asparagus instead of the green beans, and often, if we
have fresh tomatoes that need to be used he makes a version to use those up.
Lee
"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> my mom makes the traditional southern bacon/onions/beans in the cast iron
>> for family things, she starts withtwo quarts to give you an idea of the
>> food prepared...
>>
>> I meant to send eariler the worlds easiest green bean recipe,... feel
>> free to substitute fres/frozen for anything it all works...
>>
>> emough garlic and onion to accomodate a can of green beans and a can of
>> tomatoes...
>>
>> put garlic and onions in pan and saute in fat of choice until sweated...
>> you can add a can of mushrooms here if you want, but drain and reserve
>> can julces... then do same for green beans and tomatoes, leaving enough
>> time inbetween for a bit of saute flavor melding... then once its all
>> together, add enough of the mixed juices back so you can simmer for about
>> ten minutes, add spicing of choice, we most often use itilian,

> I love my veggies as is but at times I do zuchini in a similar way.
> Onions, garlic, canned crushed tomatoes, chunks of zuchini and fresh
> Italian herbs - oh and some tomato paste (I like the bitterness it gives
> to tomato dishes). I saute the onion and garlic first and then add
> everything, bring to the boil and simmer slowly for as long as you like.
> Add a slurp of good quality, strong flavoured olive oil at the end before
> serving.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 6/15/2011 3:40 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message

>>> Have you got Adam's green bean casserole recipe?

>> no, but i can ask

> He is sending it by email Hope its not the mushroom soup one

lol
ty