Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Great diabetic-friendly nibble

Lately I've been enjoying something called "Spuma di Tonno" from _Casual
Cooking_ by Michael Chiarello. I eat it on slices of European cucumber--the
long, unwaxed ones that come in plastic wrap in the supermarket--although
homegrown cucumbers without wax would also be great. (Of course, many other
crisp vegetables, such as red peppers and pea pods, would be fine, too.)
Non-diabetics would like it on something like crackers, grissini, or bagel
crisps of course.

Here's the recipe:

2 5-oz cans of Italian-style tuna packed in olive oil, drained
1 Tbs fresh lemon juice
1 Tbs soy sauce
1 Tbs balsamic vinegar
2 Tbs unsalted butter, softened
Sea salt and fresh black pepper
1 1/2 Tbs heavy cream

Put fish in food processor. Pulse to break up. With the machine running, add
lemon, soy, and vinegar. Add butter and blend until smooth. Scrape down the
sides, season to taste with salt and pepper, and blend again. Add cream and
pulse to blend. (Don't overblend after adding the cream or the mixture might
break.)

Serve at room temperature or slightly chilled. Keeps covered in the fridge
for several days. (I don't really know how long it lasts because it's always
gone in a day here.)

This is very flavorful and both cheaper and a lot less calorific than smoked
trout mousse, my other spread of choice for cucumber slices.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Now, this sounds really good! Thanks for posting it.

"Janet" > wrote in message
> Lately I've been enjoying something called "Spuma di Tonno" from _Casual
> Cooking_ by Michael Chiarello. I eat it on slices of European
> cucumber--the long, unwaxed ones that come in plastic wrap in the
> supermarket--although homegrown cucumbers without wax would also be great.
> (Of course, many other crisp vegetables, such as red peppers and pea pods,
> would be fine, too.) Non-diabetics would like it on something like
> crackers, grissini, or bagel crisps of course.
>
> Here's the recipe:
>
> 2 5-oz cans of Italian-style tuna packed in olive oil, drained
> 1 Tbs fresh lemon juice
> 1 Tbs soy sauce
> 1 Tbs balsamic vinegar
> 2 Tbs unsalted butter, softened
> Sea salt and fresh black pepper
> 1 1/2 Tbs heavy cream
>
> Put fish in food processor. Pulse to break up. With the machine running,
> add lemon, soy, and vinegar. Add butter and blend until smooth. Scrape
> down the sides, season to taste with salt and pepper, and blend again. Add
> cream and pulse to blend. (Don't overblend after adding the cream or the
> mixture might break.)
>
> Serve at room temperature or slightly chilled. Keeps covered in the fridge
> for several days. (I don't really know how long it lasts because it's
> always gone in a day here.)
>
> This is very flavorful and both cheaper and a lot less calorific than
> smoked trout mousse, my other spread of choice for cucumber slices.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I just made this since I have the ingredients on hand. It is really tasty to
me, and the balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, and lemon juice give it a nice
tang. I think it would be really good wrapped in endive or other kinds of
lettuce too, and of course...on pork rinds, but I do limit those these days.
It's a nice change since I sometimes get tired of the plain old tuna. :-)

Cheri

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> Now, this sounds really good! Thanks for posting it.
>
> "Janet" > wrote in message
>> Lately I've been enjoying something called "Spuma di Tonno" from _Casual
>> Cooking_ by Michael Chiarello. I eat it on slices of European
>> cucumber--the long, unwaxed ones that come in plastic wrap in the
>> supermarket--although homegrown cucumbers without wax would also be
>> great. (Of course, many other crisp vegetables, such as red peppers and
>> pea pods, would be fine, too.) Non-diabetics would like it on something
>> like crackers, grissini, or bagel crisps of course.
>>
>> Here's the recipe:
>>
>> 2 5-oz cans of Italian-style tuna packed in olive oil, drained
>> 1 Tbs fresh lemon juice
>> 1 Tbs soy sauce
>> 1 Tbs balsamic vinegar
>> 2 Tbs unsalted butter, softened
>> Sea salt and fresh black pepper
>> 1 1/2 Tbs heavy cream
>>
>> Put fish in food processor. Pulse to break up. With the machine running,
>> add lemon, soy, and vinegar. Add butter and blend until smooth. Scrape
>> down the sides, season to taste with salt and pepper, and blend again.
>> Add cream and pulse to blend. (Don't overblend after adding the cream or
>> the mixture might break.)
>>
>> Serve at room temperature or slightly chilled. Keeps covered in the
>> fridge for several days. (I don't really know how long it lasts because
>> it's always gone in a day here.)
>>
>> This is very flavorful and both cheaper and a lot less calorific than
>> smoked trout mousse, my other spread of choice for cucumber slices.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Sounds like what we call Telegraph cucumbers but I really prefer
Lebanese cucumbers over any and I could see me using this recipe, right
up my alley.

"Janet" > wrote in message
> Lately I've been enjoying something called "Spuma di Tonno" from
> _Casual Cooking_ by Michael Chiarello. I eat it on slices of European
> cucumber--the long, unwaxed ones that come in plastic wrap in the
> supermarket--although homegrown cucumbers without wax would also be
> great. (Of course, many other crisp vegetables, such as red peppers
> and pea pods, would be fine, too.) Non-diabetics would like it on
> something like crackers, grissini, or bagel crisps of course.
>
> Here's the recipe:
>
> 2 5-oz cans of Italian-style tuna packed in olive oil, drained
> 1 Tbs fresh lemon juice
> 1 Tbs soy sauce
> 1 Tbs balsamic vinegar
> 2 Tbs unsalted butter, softened
> Sea salt and fresh black pepper
> 1 1/2 Tbs heavy cream
>
> Put fish in food processor. Pulse to break up. With the machine
> running, add lemon, soy, and vinegar. Add butter and blend until
> smooth. Scrape down the sides, season to taste with salt and pepper,
> and blend again. Add cream and pulse to blend. (Don't overblend after
> adding the cream or the mixture might break.)
>
> Serve at room temperature or slightly chilled. Keeps covered in the
> fridge for several days. (I don't really know how long it lasts
> because it's always gone in a day here.)
>
> This is very flavorful and both cheaper and a lot less calorific than
> smoked trout mousse, my other spread of choice for cucumber slices.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ozgirl wrote:
> Sounds like what we call Telegraph cucumbers but I really prefer
> Lebanese cucumbers over any and I could see me using this recipe,
> right up my alley.

I love vitello tonato, although I haven't had it in years. Once, in a museum
restaurant in NYC I had a version of it made with a boneless chicken breast:
basically, IIRC, a nicely cooked cold chicken breast sliced on the diagonal
and napped with a pureed tuna sauce. A version of this recipe would work
VERY well for that dish. Served on a nice bed of greens...a glass or two of
chilled sauvignon blanc...definitely something I'll look forward to this
summer.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Come to think of it, it would also work well smeared on a low carb wrap with
sliced grilled chicken and mesclun...I may have found lunch today. <G>

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

yum..I didnt know that was a named recipe as I often make this..minus the
butter...next time..butter...butter makes everything better...hehe

I like to add mayo to this ..its good with eggs as a egg salad too.

I also like to add sesame oil when I want a Asian take.

hungry off to make!

thnx for the post!

KROM