Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Celeriac

I was in an Albertsons some years ago when I heard a man exclaim as he
picked up a celeriac that he loved it because it tasted just like mashed
potatoes and it was so much lower in carbs and calories.

I've never actually tried one, not really sure how to cook it. So.. Is
there any truth to this?

Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> I was in an Albertsons some years ago when I heard a man exclaim as he
> picked up a celeriac that he loved it because it tasted just like mashed
> potatoes and it was so much lower in carbs and calories.
>
> I've never actually tried one, not really sure how to cook it. So.. Is
> there any truth to this?
>
> Thanks!

It's celery root, and to me it tastes just like celery.

PP
- Chris Malcolm
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Peppermint Patootie wrote:
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> I was in an Albertsons some years ago when I heard a man exclaim as
>> he picked up a celeriac that he loved it because it tasted just like
>> mashed potatoes and it was so much lower in carbs and calories.
>>
>> I've never actually tried one, not really sure how to cook it. So..
>> Is there any truth to this?
>>
>> Thanks!

> It's celery root, and to me it tastes just like celery.

Hmmm... Okay then!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 5/12/2011 4:34 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> Peppermint Patootie wrote:
>> In >,
>> "Julie > wrote:
>>
>>> I was in an Albertsons some years ago when I heard a man exclaim as
>>> he picked up a celeriac that he loved it because it tasted just like
>>> mashed potatoes and it was so much lower in carbs and calories.
>>>
>>> I've never actually tried one, not really sure how to cook it. So..
>>> Is there any truth to this?
>>>
>>> Thanks!

>> It's celery root, and to me it tastes just like celery.

> Hmmm... Okay then!

Julie, i know many people like this alternative

how can you know without trying it??

me? i like the inside of the celery, my mother used massive amounts of
celery in (name the dish here), unless she was using massive amounts of
walnuts in (name the dessert/cake/cookie here)

i DETEST celery, except for the inside stems

kate
ps, the celeriac all mushed up wasn't that bad afterall

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Tiger Lily wrote:
> On 5/12/2011 4:34 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> Peppermint Patootie wrote:

>>> It's celery root, and to me it tastes just like celery.

>> Hmmm... Okay then!
>>

> Julie, i know many people like this alternative
>
> how can you know without trying it??
>
> me? i like the inside of the celery, my mother used massive amounts of
> celery in (name the dish here), unless she was using massive amounts
> of walnuts in (name the dessert/cake/cookie here)
>
> i DETEST celery, except for the inside stems
>
> kate
> ps, the celeriac all mushed up wasn't that bad afterall

I love celery. Just had a hard time believing it could taste like mashed
potatoes. Unlike you though I prefer the outer part. I remember getting
mad at my mom when she brought me celery hearts after I asked for celery. I
was sick and she went to the store for me. She said she bought the good
kind so I wouldn't have to clean it. I was like... Clean it? That's the
part I throw away! Actually not all of it bought I find the inner part has
no flavor.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Tiger Lily > wrote:
: On 5/12/2011 4:34 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
: > Peppermint Patootie wrote:
: >> In >,
: >> "Julie > wrote:
: >>
: >>> I was in an Albertsons some years ago when I heard a man exclaim as
: >>> he picked up a celeriac that he loved it because it tasted just like
: >>> mashed potatoes and it was so much lower in carbs and calories.
: >>>
: >>> I've never actually tried one, not really sure how to cook it. So..
: >>> Is there any truth to this?
: >>>
: >>> Thanks!
: >>
: >> It's celery root, and to me it tastes just like celery.
: >
: > Hmmm... Okay then!
: >
: >
: Julie, i know many people like this alternative

: how can you know without trying it??

: me? i like the inside of the celery, my mother used massive amounts of
: celery in (name the dish here), unless she was using massive amounts of
: walnuts in (name the dessert/cake/cookie here)

: i DETEST celery, except for the inside stems

: kate
: ps, the celeriac all mushed up wasn't that bad afterall

In my family the hearts of teh celery were always the prize parts. I was
astounded to find my husband, in the early days of our marriage, cutting
ti off to throw out! He also larned to love the inside of teh celery.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

in my house it was the cabbage core raw..sliced thin and served with salt
and pepper..yum!

KROM

"W. Baker" wrote
In my family the hearts of teh celery were always the prize parts. I was
astounded to find my husband, in the early days of our marriage, cutting
ti off to throw out! He also larned to love the inside of teh celery.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"KROM" > wrote in message ...
> in my house it was the cabbage core raw..sliced thin and served with salt
> and pepper..yum!
>
> KROM
>

> "W. Baker" wrote
> In my family the hearts of teh celery were always the prize parts. I was
> astounded to find my husband, in the early days of our marriage, cutting
> ti off to throw out! He also larned to love the inside of teh celery.
>
> Wendy

Once when I was working at a small restaurant, the new girl was cleaning the
aparagus, throwing the tip parts in the garbage, and keeping the bottom part
of the stalks. She got a good razzing for that. :-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, "KROM" >
wrote:

> in my house it was the cabbage core raw..sliced thin and served with salt
> and pepper..yum!

Or dipped in hoisin. ;-)

PP

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

that does sound good!

I like to dip stuff into strained/thickened greek yogurt mixed with HVR
dips mix..out of that dressing I make with mayo, sesame oil ,balsamic
,mustard and pepper etc and sweetened with splenda or equal.

KROM

"Peppermint Patootie" wrote in message

In article >, "KROM" >
wrote:

> in my house it was the cabbage core raw..sliced thin and served with salt
> and pepper..yum!

Or dipped in hoisin. ;-)

PP

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

KROM wrote:
> hah too funny!
>
> tho that's one vegg I haven't learned to like..blech..lol
>
> KROM
>

> "Cheri" wrote
> Once when I was working at a small restaurant, the new girl was
> cleaning the aparagus, throwing the tip parts in the garbage, and
> keeping the bottom part of the stalks. She got a good razzing for
> that. :-)
> Cheri

Probably because you've only had it overcooked. Lots of people have an
aversion to asparagus because they were subjected to the canned stuff at an
early age.

You might want to try buying a small bunch, snapping and discarding the
ends, and rolling the stalks in olive oil, coarse salt, and fresh black
pepper. Then grill them on high heat until just slightly blackened here and
there but still a bit crisp. Eat hot or at room temp.

If you don't like that, then there really is no hope for you and asparagus!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 5/16/2011 7:09 AM, Janet wrote:
> KROM wrote:
>> hah too funny!
>>
>> tho that's one vegg I haven't learned to like..blech..lol
>>
>> KROM
>>

>> "Cheri" wrote
>> Once when I was working at a small restaurant, the new girl was
>> cleaning the aparagus, throwing the tip parts in the garbage, and
>> keeping the bottom part of the stalks. She got a good razzing for
>> that. :-)
>> Cheri

> Probably because you've only had it overcooked. Lots of people have an
> aversion to asparagus because they were subjected to the canned stuff at an
> early age.
>
> You might want to try buying a small bunch, snapping and discarding the
> ends, and rolling the stalks in olive oil, coarse salt, and fresh black
> pepper. Then grill them on high heat until just slightly blackened here and
> there but still a bit crisp. Eat hot or at room temp.
>
> If you don't like that, then there really is no hope for you and asparagus!

raw asparagus tastes like peas, i love it

and yes, that canned stuff was beyond HORRID
and the asparagus ran thru the fork with strands of fibre holding this
pale green 'thing' in place
gack!

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

oh I have tried it most all ways..even thinly shaved into a salad.

I object to the bitter dark green taste in some vegetables.

with broccoli I can kill that taste with cooking it in the meat broths.

Brussels sprouts and asparagus fight to stay bitter...or if they give up the
bitterness turn sour.

but the war wages on...lol

KROM

"Janet" wrote in message ...

KROM wrote:
> hah too funny!
>
> tho that's one vegg I haven't learned to like..blech..lol
>
> KROM
>

> "Cheri" wrote
> Once when I was working at a small restaurant, the new girl was
> cleaning the aparagus, throwing the tip parts in the garbage, and
> keeping the bottom part of the stalks. She got a good razzing for
> that. :-)
> Cheri

Probably because you've only had it overcooked. Lots of people have an
aversion to asparagus because they were subjected to the canned stuff at an
early age.

You might want to try buying a small bunch, snapping and discarding the
ends, and rolling the stalks in olive oil, coarse salt, and fresh black
pepper. Then grill them on high heat until just slightly blackened here and
there but still a bit crisp. Eat hot or at room temp.

If you don't like that, then there really is no hope for you and asparagus!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I like fresh and canned I use canned in salads or for snacks. Good
way to fill up when hungry and need low carb. I buy the expensive canned
stuff though not the pale, tough, stringy cheap stuff which is vile.

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 5/16/2011 7:09 AM, Janet wrote:
>> KROM wrote:
>>> hah too funny!
>>>
>>> tho that's one vegg I haven't learned to like..blech..lol
>>>
>>> KROM
>>>

>>> "Cheri" wrote
>>> Once when I was working at a small restaurant, the new girl was
>>> cleaning the aparagus, throwing the tip parts in the garbage, and
>>> keeping the bottom part of the stalks. She got a good razzing for
>>> that. :-)
>>> Cheri

>> Probably because you've only had it overcooked. Lots of people have
>> an
>> aversion to asparagus because they were subjected to the canned stuff
>> at an
>> early age.
>>
>> You might want to try buying a small bunch, snapping and discarding
>> the
>> ends, and rolling the stalks in olive oil, coarse salt, and fresh
>> black
>> pepper. Then grill them on high heat until just slightly blackened
>> here and
>> there but still a bit crisp. Eat hot or at room temp.
>>
>> If you don't like that, then there really is no hope for you and
>> asparagus!
>>

> raw asparagus tastes like peas, i love it
>
> and yes, that canned stuff was beyond HORRID
> and the asparagus ran thru the fork with strands of fibre holding this
> pale green 'thing' in place
> gack!
>
> kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Don't find broccoli bitter at all (or asparagus for that matter) but
Brussels sprouts are a little bitter. I eat them as is though or
sometimes with butter and FGBP.

"KROM" > wrote in message
> oh I have tried it most all ways..even thinly shaved into a salad.
>
> I object to the bitter dark green taste in some vegetables.
>
> with broccoli I can kill that taste with cooking it in the meat
> broths.
>
> Brussels sprouts and asparagus fight to stay bitter...or if they give
> up the bitterness turn sour.
>
> but the war wages on...lol
>
> KROM
>

> "Janet" wrote in message ...
>
> KROM wrote:
>> hah too funny!
>>
>> tho that's one vegg I haven't learned to like..blech..lol
>>
>> KROM
>>

>> "Cheri" wrote
>> Once when I was working at a small restaurant, the new girl was
>> cleaning the aparagus, throwing the tip parts in the garbage, and
>> keeping the bottom part of the stalks. She got a good razzing for
>> that. :-)
>> Cheri

> Probably because you've only had it overcooked. Lots of people have an
> aversion to asparagus because they were subjected to the canned stuff
> at an
> early age.
>
> You might want to try buying a small bunch, snapping and discarding
> the
> ends, and rolling the stalks in olive oil, coarse salt, and fresh
> black
> pepper. Then grill them on high heat until just slightly blackened
> here and
> there but still a bit crisp. Eat hot or at room temp.
>
> If you don't like that, then there really is no hope for you and
> asparagus!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Don't find broccoli bitter at all (or asparagus for that matter) but
> Brussels sprouts are a little bitter. I eat them as is though or sometimes
> with butter and FGBP.

Me either, never would have considered asparagus as bitter, but we all have
different tastes since Splenda leaves a nasty aftertaste with me, but not
apartame. Go figure.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>I like fresh and canned I use canned in salads or for snacks. Good way
>to fill up when hungry and need low carb. I buy the expensive canned stuff
>though not the pale, tough, stringy cheap stuff which is vile.

The horrid canned stuff is what I grew up with. Thankfully we didn't have
it often. I do remember a babysitter trying to force me to eat it. And I
remember trying to get rid of it when I had it in my mouth at the dinner
table. I had a babysitting job and the kid's dad was in the driveway
waiting for me. My dad told me I couldn't leave the table until I had eaten
it. There was no way I could swallow it. I managed somehow to go into the
bathroom and spit it into the toilet.

Since then I have tried several times to eat the fresh stuff. It just won't
go down be it white or green, raw or cooked. I just don't like it!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Don't find broccoli bitter at all (or asparagus for that matter) but
> Brussels sprouts are a little bitter. I eat them as is though or sometimes
> with butter and FGBP.

I must say I haven't had Brussels sprouts since I was a kid. If they come
canned that is most likely the kind I had because my mom was big into canned
veggies. I have heard that they are really good when roasted but unless I
get them in a restaurant that way I am unlikely to try them. I don't want
to cook them.

I do find broccoli, asparagus and to a lesser extent cauliflower to have a
vile taste when cooked. I wouldn't say bitter, but something so bad that I
have to immediately spit them out. Broccoli is the worst and I can't eat
something if it even has a speck of it in there or has touched it, such as a
vegetable medley. I can eat a very small amount of cauliflower in a soup.
I can (but don't like to) eat a small amount of raw broccoli or cauliflower.
I actually like the taste of raw cauliflower. It just doesn't agree with my
stomach. I can't eat asparagus no matter what!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>> Don't find broccoli bitter at all (or asparagus for that matter) but
>> Brussels sprouts are a little bitter. I eat them as is though or
>> sometimes with butter and FGBP.

> Me either, never would have considered asparagus as bitter, but we all
> have different tastes since Splenda leaves a nasty aftertaste with me, but
> not apartame. Go figure.

I was at a picky eater forum for adults. I thought I would fit right in
there, but I've been told by some there that I like too many foods
(especially veggies) to be a picky eater. Apparently most of them find all
veggies to be bitter except for maybe potatoes. Potatoes were one food most
of them did eat, but mostly as French fries.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

now that is just too funny... other people telling you what your food stats
is... was there anything that was worth sharing from this forum? i am
always interested in these sorts of things,

Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" > wrote in message
>> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>>> Don't find broccoli bitter at all (or asparagus for that matter) but
>>> Brussels sprouts are a little bitter. I eat them as is though or
>>> sometimes with butter and FGBP.

>> Me either, never would have considered asparagus as bitter, but we all
>> have different tastes since Splenda leaves a nasty aftertaste with me,
>> but not apartame. Go figure.

> I was at a picky eater forum for adults. I thought I would fit right in
> there, but I've been told by some there that I like too many foods
> (especially veggies) to be a picky eater. Apparently most of them find
> all veggies to be bitter except for maybe potatoes. Potatoes were one
> food most of them did eat, but mostly as French fries.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" > wrote in message
>> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>>> Don't find broccoli bitter at all (or asparagus for that matter) but
>>> Brussels sprouts are a little bitter. I eat them as is though or
>>> sometimes with butter and FGBP.

>> Me either, never would have considered asparagus as bitter, but we
>> all have different tastes since Splenda leaves a nasty aftertaste
>> with me, but not apartame. Go figure.

> I was at a picky eater forum for adults. I thought I would fit right
> in there, but I've been told by some there that I like too many foods
> (especially veggies) to be a picky eater.

Geez, you've lost your crown

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> now that is just too funny... other people telling you what your food
> stats is... was there anything that was worth sharing from this forum? i
> am always interested in these sorts of things,

It's just a good thing that some of them are not diabetics. There really
are a few who eat little more than hamburgers (plain) and French fries.
Most seem to have textural issues with foods and like me will instinctually
spit something out that they do not like.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> Me either, never would have considered asparagus as bitter, but we all
>>> have different tastes since Splenda leaves a nasty aftertaste with me,
>>> but not apartame. Go figure.

>> I was at a picky eater forum for adults. I thought I would fit right in
>> there, but I've been told by some there that I like too many foods
>> (especially veggies) to be a picky eater.

> Geez, you've lost your crown

Yeah. Seriously there are some people there who eat only 2 or 3 foods.
Some are even terrified to try new things.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 5/16/2011 5:23 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
> I like fresh and canned I use canned in salads or for snacks. Good
> way to fill up when hungry and need low carb. I buy the expensive canned
> stuff though not the pale, tough, stringy cheap stuff which is vile.

the pickled asparagus isn't 'mushified' like the canned stuff

i DETESTED the canned stuff so much, i have never tried it again, can't
even think of it

now watch, i'll find out i've been eating canned asparagus in
restaurants! LOL

kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

might be interesting to study the similarities in food behaviors among a
group like that, being terriefied to try something moves food adversion to a
phobic status, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message

>>> I was at a picky eater forum for adults. I thought I would fit right in
>>> there, but I've been told by some there that I like too many foods
>>> (especially veggies) to be a picky eater.

>> Geez, you've lost your crown

> Yeah. Seriously there are some people there who eat only 2 or 3 foods.
> Some are even terrified to try new things.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

saw a study not long ago that some people are super tasters and chemically
certain foods react badly to them or different then regular peeps.

broccoli and asparagus and Brussels were on the list of foods.

pretty much all cruciferous veggies have that chemical in them.

KROM

"KROM" > wrote in message
> oh I have tried it most all ways..even thinly shaved into a salad.
>
> I object to the bitter dark green taste in some vegetables.
>
> with broccoli I can kill that taste with cooking it in the meat broths.
>
> Brussels sprouts and asparagus fight to stay bitter...or if they give up
> the bitterness turn sour.
>
> but the war wages on...lol
>
> KROM
>

> "Janet" wrote in message ...
>
> KROM wrote:
>> hah too funny!
>>
>> tho that's one vegg I haven't learned to like..blech..lol
>>
>> KROM
>>

>> "Cheri" wrote
>> Once when I was working at a small restaurant, the new girl was
>> cleaning the aparagus, throwing the tip parts in the garbage, and
>> keeping the bottom part of the stalks. She got a good razzing for
>> that. :-)
>> Cheri

> Probably because you've only had it overcooked. Lots of people have an
> aversion to asparagus because they were subjected to the canned stuff at
> an
> early age.
>
> You might want to try buying a small bunch, snapping and discarding the
> ends, and rolling the stalks in olive oil, coarse salt, and fresh black
> pepper. Then grill them on high heat until just slightly blackened here
> and
> there but still a bit crisp. Eat hot or at room temp.
>
> If you don't like that, then there really is no hope for you and
> asparagus!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 5/16/2011 5:23 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
>> I like fresh and canned I use canned in salads or for snacks. Good
>> way to fill up when hungry and need low carb. I buy the expensive
>> canned
>> stuff though not the pale, tough, stringy cheap stuff which is vile.

> the pickled asparagus isn't 'mushified' like the canned stuff
>
> i DETESTED the canned stuff so much, i have never tried it again,
> can't even think of it
>
> now watch, i'll find out i've been eating canned asparagus in
> restaurants! LOL
>
> kate

Vast difference between fresh and canned. You'd know. More likely to
find canned in sandwich bars. The expensive stuff in the cans is a
darker green and thinner for starters. The cheap stuff is pale, thick
and stringy. I used to eat cans of it as low carb between meal snacks

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 5/17/2011 2:38 PM, KROM wrote:
> saw a study not long ago that some people are super tasters and
> chemically certain foods react badly to them or different then regular
> peeps.
>
> broccoli and asparagus and Brussels were on the list of foods.
>
> pretty much all cruciferous veggies have that chemical in them.
>
> KROM

yup, i'll agree with those comments whole heartedly

and i challenge folk to toss some Olive Oil & Balsamic Vinegar with sun
dried tomato dressing on those items

you'd be amazed!!!!!!!!!

bwha ha ha

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 5/17/2011 4:46 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
>> On 5/16/2011 5:23 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
>>> I like fresh and canned I use canned in salads or for snacks. Good
>>> way to fill up when hungry and need low carb. I buy the expensive canned
>>> stuff though not the pale, tough, stringy cheap stuff which is vile.

>> the pickled asparagus isn't 'mushified' like the canned stuff
>>
>> i DETESTED the canned stuff so much, i have never tried it again,
>> can't even think of it
>>
>> now watch, i'll find out i've been eating canned asparagus in
>> restaurants! LOL
>>
>> kate

> Vast difference between fresh and canned. You'd know. More likely to
> find canned in sandwich bars. The expensive stuff in the cans is a
> darker green and thinner for starters. The cheap stuff is pale, thick
> and stringy. I used to eat cans of it as low carb between meal snacks

can't tell what you get in a can until you open it

but

we have asparagus (for varying prices) year round now

i LOVE asparagus!

lol

kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

my wife loves all things green especially Brussels so I tried to make them
in bacon with balsamic and sun dried tomatoes

to wife they were like eating candy she thought them way to sweet..me I
thought them too sour...so there ya go...lol

KROM

"Tiger Lily" wrote in message ...

On 5/17/2011 2:38 PM, KROM wrote:
> saw a study not long ago that some people are super tasters and
> chemically certain foods react badly to them or different then regular
> peeps.
>
> broccoli and asparagus and Brussels were on the list of foods.
>
> pretty much all cruciferous veggies have that chemical in them.
>
> KROM

yup, i'll agree with those comments whole heartedly

and i challenge folk to toss some Olive Oil & Balsamic Vinegar with sun
dried tomato dressing on those items

you'd be amazed!!!!!!!!!

bwha ha ha

kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

KROM, want to come cook here??? bring your wife and kids too

i WANT this recipe!

kate

On 5/18/2011 2:45 PM, KROM wrote:
> my wife loves all things green especially Brussels so I tried to make
> them in bacon with balsamic and sun dried tomatoes
>
> to wife they were like eating candy she thought them way to sweet..me I
> thought them too sour...so there ya go...lol
>
> KROM
>

> "Tiger Lily" wrote in message ...
>
> On 5/17/2011 2:38 PM, KROM wrote:
>> saw a study not long ago that some people are super tasters and
>> chemically certain foods react badly to them or different then regular
>> peeps.
>>
>> broccoli and asparagus and Brussels were on the list of foods.
>>
>> pretty much all cruciferous veggies have that chemical in them.
>>
>> KROM

> yup, i'll agree with those comments whole heartedly
>
> and i challenge folk to toss some Olive Oil & Balsamic Vinegar with sun
> dried tomato dressing on those items
>
> you'd be amazed!!!!!!!!!
>
> bwha ha ha
>
> kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 18 May 2011 22:24:44 -0600, Tiger Lily wrote:

> KROM, want to come cook here??? bring your wife and kids too
>
> i WANT this recipe!
>
> kate

LOL -

I started discussing with the shop attendant how to prepare and serve a
lamb roast, we came up with a list of spices and vegetables and how to do
it- she nearly started drooling and said with a laugh, "can I come with
you to dinner?"

I think wife would have objected - but she liked the result!
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 5/19/2011 1:24 AM, Bjørn Steensrud wrote:
> LOL -
>
> I started discussing with the shop attendant how to prepare and serve a
> lamb roast, we came up with a list of spices and vegetables and how to do
> it- she nearly started drooling and said with a laugh, "can I come with
> you to dinner?"
>
> I think wife would have objected - but she liked the result!

at a local store here, one fellow in the meat dept is a chef by
trade..... who got out of that industry

but he's never forgotten his trade, so, if he's out on the floor, i'll
stop and chat with him to see what he would do for whatever piece of
meat i'm looking at for dinner

we actually had a group of 4 of us chatting and exchanging 'variation'
ideas on one occasion

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

lol..I get most of my recipes from Alton brow and Americas test kitchen..I
then modify them to fit my tastes and needs.

I have loved cooking and food since I was a tot.

one of my first memories is deciding my moms pumpkin pie batter needed
pepper...lol

KROM

On 5/18/2011 2:45 PM, KROM wrote:
> my wife loves all things green especially Brussels so I tried to make
> them in bacon with balsamic and sun dried tomatoes
>
> to wife they were like eating candy she thought them way to sweet..me I
> thought them too sour...so there ya go...lol
>
> KROM
>

> "Tiger Lily" wrote in message ...
>
> On 5/17/2011 2:38 PM, KROM wrote:
>> saw a study not long ago that some people are super tasters and
>> chemically certain foods react badly to them or different then regular
>> peeps.
>>
>> broccoli and asparagus and Brussels were on the list of foods.
>>
>> pretty much all cruciferous veggies have that chemical in them.
>>
>> KROM

> yup, i'll agree with those comments whole heartedly
>
> and i challenge folk to toss some Olive Oil & Balsamic Vinegar with sun
> dried tomato dressing on those items
>
> you'd be amazed!!!!!!!!!
>
> bwha ha ha
>
> kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

here's two of the recipes I altered to suit well in this case wife's
tastes..

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html

http://www.dailyunadventuresincookin...lnuts-and.html

http://doesnttaztelikechicken.com/20...and-balsamico/

KROM

On 5/18/2011 2:45 PM, KROM wrote:
> my wife loves all things green especially Brussels so I tried to make
> them in bacon with balsamic and sun dried tomatoes
>
> to wife they were like eating candy she thought them way to sweet..me I
> thought them too sour...so there ya go...lol
>
> KROM
>

> "Tiger Lily" wrote in message ...
>
> On 5/17/2011 2:38 PM, KROM wrote:
>> saw a study not long ago that some people are super tasters and
>> chemically certain foods react badly to them or different then regular
>> peeps.
>>
>> broccoli and asparagus and Brussels were on the list of foods.
>>
>> pretty much all cruciferous veggies have that chemical in them.
>>
>> KROM

> yup, i'll agree with those comments whole heartedly
>
> and i challenge folk to toss some Olive Oil & Balsamic Vinegar with sun
> dried tomato dressing on those items
>
> you'd be amazed!!!!!!!!!
>
> bwha ha ha
>
> kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

you are hired!!!

the pay sucks, but you get room and board

lol
i think i've found a wife!

kate

On 5/19/2011 12:59 PM, KROM wrote:
> lol..I get most of my recipes from Alton brow and Americas test
> kitchen..I then modify them to fit my tastes and needs.
>
> I have loved cooking and food since I was a tot.
>
> one of my first memories is deciding my moms pumpkin pie batter needed
> pepper...lol
>
> KROM
>

> "Tiger Lily" wrote in message ...
>
> KROM, want to come cook here??? bring your wife and kids too
>
> i WANT this recipe!
>
> kate
>
> On 5/18/2011 2:45 PM, KROM wrote:
>> my wife loves all things green especially Brussels so I tried to make
>> them in bacon with balsamic and sun dried tomatoes
>>
>> to wife they were like eating candy she thought them way to sweet..me I
>> thought them too sour...so there ya go...lol
>>
>> KROM
>>

>> "Tiger Lily" wrote in message ...
>>
>> On 5/17/2011 2:38 PM, KROM wrote:
>>> saw a study not long ago that some people are super tasters and
>>> chemically certain foods react badly to them or different then regular
>>> peeps.
>>>
>>> broccoli and asparagus and Brussels were on the list of foods.
>>>
>>> pretty much all cruciferous veggies have that chemical in them.
>>>
>>> KROM

>> yup, i'll agree with those comments whole heartedly
>>
>> and i challenge folk to toss some Olive Oil & Balsamic Vinegar with sun
>> dried tomato dressing on those items
>>
>> you'd be amazed!!!!!!!!!
>>
>> bwha ha ha
>>
>> kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

ta!

i found the brussel sprouts with balsamic years ago

the BACON addition

OMG, i can hardly wait!
lol

kate

On 5/19/2011 1:08 PM, KROM wrote:
> here's two of the recipes I altered to suit well in this case wife's
> tastes..
>

> http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html
>

> http://www.dailyunadventuresincookin...lnuts-and.html
>

> http://doesnttaztelikechicken.com/20...and-balsamico/
>

> KROM
>

> "Tiger Lily" wrote in message ...
>
> KROM, want to come cook here??? bring your wife and kids too
>
> i WANT this recipe!
>
> kate
>
> On 5/18/2011 2:45 PM, KROM wrote:
>> my wife loves all things green especially Brussels so I tried to make
>> them in bacon with balsamic and sun dried tomatoes
>>
>> to wife they were like eating candy she thought them way to sweet..me I
>> thought them too sour...so there ya go...lol
>>
>> KROM
>>

>> "Tiger Lily" wrote in message ...
>>
>> On 5/17/2011 2:38 PM, KROM wrote:
>>> saw a study not long ago that some people are super tasters and
>>> chemically certain foods react badly to them or different then regular
>>> peeps.
>>>
>>> broccoli and asparagus and Brussels were on the list of foods.
>>>
>>> pretty much all cruciferous veggies have that chemical in them.
>>>
>>> KROM

>> yup, i'll agree with those comments whole heartedly
>>
>> and i challenge folk to toss some Olive Oil & Balsamic Vinegar with sun
>> dried tomato dressing on those items
>>
>> you'd be amazed!!!!!!!!!
>>
>> bwha ha ha
>>
>> kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

lol..thats why my wife married me I work from home and do all the cookin
and cleaning..she loves it I like being home.

grandfather disowned me..lol..seriously he wrote a long letter about how a
man needs to work a job that uses his hands and wife at home or doing a job
thats domestic if she "must" work...lol

what a sad little minded man..

KROM

"Tiger Lily" wrote in message ...

you are hired!!!

the pay sucks, but you get room and board

lol
i think i've found a wife!

kate

On 5/19/2011 12:59 PM, KROM wrote:
> lol..I get most of my recipes from Alton brow and Americas test
> kitchen..I then modify them to fit my tastes and needs.
>
> I have loved cooking and food since I was a tot.
>
> one of my first memories is deciding my moms pumpkin pie batter needed
> pepper...lol
>
> KROM
>

> "Tiger Lily" wrote in message ...
>
> KROM, want to come cook here??? bring your wife and kids too
>
> i WANT this recipe!
>
> kate
>
> On 5/18/2011 2:45 PM, KROM wrote:
>> my wife loves all things green especially Brussels so I tried to make
>> them in bacon with balsamic and sun dried tomatoes
>>
>> to wife they were like eating candy she thought them way to sweet..me I
>> thought them too sour...so there ya go...lol
>>
>> KROM
>>

>> "Tiger Lily" wrote in message ...
>>
>> On 5/17/2011 2:38 PM, KROM wrote:
>>> saw a study not long ago that some people are super tasters and
>>> chemically certain foods react badly to them or different then regular
>>> peeps.
>>>
>>> broccoli and asparagus and Brussels were on the list of foods.
>>>
>>> pretty much all cruciferous veggies have that chemical in them.
>>>
>>> KROM

>> yup, i'll agree with those comments whole heartedly
>>
>> and i challenge folk to toss some Olive Oil & Balsamic Vinegar with sun
>> dried tomato dressing on those items
>>
>> you'd be amazed!!!!!!!!!
>>
>> bwha ha ha
>>
>> kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"KROM" > wrote in message
> lol..thats why my wife married me I work from home and do all the
> cookin and cleaning..she loves it I like being home.
>
> grandfather disowned me..lol..seriously he wrote a long letter about
> how a man needs to work a job that uses his hands and wife at home or
> doing a job thats domestic if she "must" work...lol
>
> what a sad little minded man..

Wow, very old school eh?

Is celeriac an acquired taste? Jax[_2_] General Cooking 6 13-11-2013 09:48 PM
Celeriac Thumper[_2_] General Cooking 13 28-10-2013 05:49 PM
Mandoline and celeriac Michael Horowitz General Cooking 4 20-02-2010 10:55 PM
Celeriac soup Serene General Cooking 1 01-10-2007 03:18 PM
Lunch - Celeriac Soup Dee Randall General Cooking 0 28-12-2005 08:50 PM