Old 12-05-2011, 04:11 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Celeriac

I was in an Albertsons some years ago when I heard a man exclaim as he
picked up a celeriac that he loved it because it tasted just like mashed
potatoes and it was so much lower in carbs and calories.

I've never actually tried one, not really sure how to cook it. So.. Is
there any truth to this?

Thanks!

Old 12-05-2011, 08:56 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article ,
"Julie Bove" wrote:

I was in an Albertsons some years ago when I heard a man exclaim as he
picked up a celeriac that he loved it because it tasted just like mashed
potatoes and it was so much lower in carbs and calories.

I've never actually tried one, not really sure how to cook it. So.. Is
there any truth to this?

Thanks!

It's celery root, and to me it tastes just like celery.

PP
- Chris Malcolm

Old 13-05-2011, 05:35 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 5/12/2011 4:34 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
Peppermint Patootie wrote:
In ,
"Julie wrote:

I was in an Albertsons some years ago when I heard a man exclaim as
he picked up a celeriac that he loved it because it tasted just like
mashed potatoes and it was so much lower in carbs and calories.

I've never actually tried one, not really sure how to cook it. So..
Is there any truth to this?

Thanks!

It's celery root, and to me it tastes just like celery.

Hmmm... Okay then!

Julie, i know many people like this alternative

how can you know without trying it??

me? i like the inside of the celery, my mother used massive amounts of
celery in (name the dish here), unless she was using massive amounts of
walnuts in (name the dessert/cake/cookie here)

i DETEST celery, except for the inside stems

kate
ps, the celeriac all mushed up wasn't that bad afterall

Old 13-05-2011, 05:45 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Tiger Lily wrote:
On 5/12/2011 4:34 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
Peppermint Patootie wrote:
In ,
"Julie wrote:

I was in an Albertsons some years ago when I heard a man exclaim as
he picked up a celeriac that he loved it because it tasted just
like mashed potatoes and it was so much lower in carbs and
calories. I've never actually tried one, not really sure how to cook
it. So.. Is there any truth to this?

Thanks!

It's celery root, and to me it tastes just like celery.

Hmmm... Okay then!

Julie, i know many people like this alternative

how can you know without trying it??

me? i like the inside of the celery, my mother used massive amounts of
celery in (name the dish here), unless she was using massive amounts
of walnuts in (name the dessert/cake/cookie here)

i DETEST celery, except for the inside stems

kate
ps, the celeriac all mushed up wasn't that bad afterall

I love celery. Just had a hard time believing it could taste like mashed
potatoes. Unlike you though I prefer the outer part. I remember getting
mad at my mom when she brought me celery hearts after I asked for celery. I
was sick and she went to the store for me. She said she bought the good
kind so I wouldn't have to clean it. I was like... Clean it? That's the
part I throw away! Actually not all of it bought I find the inner part has
no flavor.

Old 13-05-2011, 04:27 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Tiger Lily wrote:
: On 5/12/2011 4:34 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
: Peppermint Patootie wrote:
: In ,
: "Julie wrote:
:
[...]

In my family the hearts of teh celery were always the prize parts. I was
astounded to find my husband, in the early days of our marriage, cutting
ti off to throw out! He also larned to love the inside of teh celery.

Wendy
Old 13-05-2011, 07:58 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

in my house it was the cabbage core raw..sliced thin and served with salt
and pepper..yum!

KROM

"W. Baker" wrote

Old 13-05-2011, 11:26 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"KROM" wrote in message ...
in my house it was the cabbage core raw..sliced thin and served with salt
and pepper..yum!

KROM

"W. Baker" wrote
In my family the hearts of teh celery were always the prize parts. I was
astounded to find my husband, in the early days of our marriage, cutting
ti off to throw out! He also larned to love the inside of teh celery.

Wendy

Once when I was working at a small restaurant, the new girl was cleaning the
aparagus, throwing the tip parts in the garbage, and keeping the bottom part
of the stalks. She got a good razzing for that. :-)

Cheri

Old 14-05-2011, 03:44 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article , "KROM"
wrote:

in my house it was the cabbage core raw..sliced thin and served with salt
and pepper..yum!

Or dipped in hoisin. ;-)

PP

Old 14-05-2011, 07:43 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

that does sound good!

I like to dip stuff into strained/thickened greek yogurt mixed with HVR
dips mix..out of that dressing I make with mayo, sesame oil ,balsamic
,mustard and pepper etc and sweetened with splenda or equal.

KROM

Old 16-05-2011, 02:09 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

KROM wrote:
hah too funny!

tho that's one vegg I haven't learned to like..blech..lol

KROM

"Cheri" wrote
Once when I was working at a small restaurant, the new girl was
cleaning the aparagus, throwing the tip parts in the garbage, and
keeping the bottom part of the stalks. She got a good razzing for
that. :-)
Cheri

Probably because you've only had it overcooked. Lots of people have an
aversion to asparagus because they were subjected to the canned stuff at an
early age.

You might want to try buying a small bunch, snapping and discarding the
ends, and rolling the stalks in olive oil, coarse salt, and fresh black
pepper. Then grill them on high heat until just slightly blackened here and
there but still a bit crisp. Eat hot or at room temp.

If you don't like that, then there really is no hope for you and asparagus!

Old 16-05-2011, 04:49 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 5/16/2011 7:09 AM, Janet wrote:
KROM wrote:
[...]

raw asparagus tastes like peas, i love it

and yes, that canned stuff was beyond HORRID
and the asparagus ran thru the fork with strands of fibre holding this
pale green 'thing' in place
gack!

kate
Old 16-05-2011, 09:00 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

oh I have tried it most all ways..even thinly shaved into a salad.

I object to the bitter dark green taste in some vegetables.

with broccoli I can kill that taste with cooking it in the meat broths.

Brussels sprouts and asparagus fight to stay bitter...or if they give up the
bitterness turn sour.

but the war wages on...lol

KROM

Old 17-05-2011, 12:23 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

I like fresh and canned I use canned in salads or for snacks. Good
way to fill up when hungry and need low carb. I buy the expensive canned
stuff though not the pale, tough, stringy cheap stuff which is vile.

KROM wrote:
[...]

Is celeriac an acquired taste? Jax[_2_] General Cooking 6 13-11-2013 09:48 PM
Celeriac Thumper[_2_] General Cooking 13 28-10-2013 05:49 PM
Mandoline and celeriac Michael Horowitz General Cooking 4 20-02-2010 10:55 PM
Celeriac soup Serene General Cooking 1 01-10-2007 03:18 PM
Lunch - Celeriac Soup Dee Randall General Cooking 0 28-12-2005 08:50 PM