Old 17-05-2011, 12:25 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Celeriac

Don't find broccoli bitter at all (or asparagus for that matter) but
Brussels sprouts are a little bitter. I eat them as is though or
sometimes with butter and FGBP.

"KROM" wrote in message
oh I have tried it most all ways..even thinly shaved into a salad.

I object to the bitter dark green taste in some vegetables.

with broccoli I can kill that taste with cooking it in the meat
broths.

Brussels sprouts and asparagus fight to stay bitter...or if they give
up the bitterness turn sour.

but the war wages on...lol

KROM

"Janet" wrote in message ...

KROM wrote:
hah too funny!

tho that's one vegg I haven't learned to like..blech..lol

KROM

"Cheri" wrote
Once when I was working at a small restaurant, the new girl was
cleaning the aparagus, throwing the tip parts in the garbage, and
keeping the bottom part of the stalks. She got a good razzing for
that. :-)
Cheri

Probably because you've only had it overcooked. Lots of people have an
aversion to asparagus because they were subjected to the canned stuff
at an
early age.

You might want to try buying a small bunch, snapping and discarding
the
ends, and rolling the stalks in olive oil, coarse salt, and fresh
black
pepper. Then grill them on high heat until just slightly blackened
here and
there but still a bit crisp. Eat hot or at room temp.

If you don't like that, then there really is no hope for you and
asparagus!

Old 17-05-2011, 02:56 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" wrote in message
Don't find broccoli bitter at all (or asparagus for that matter) but
Brussels sprouts are a little bitter. I eat them as is though or sometimes
with butter and FGBP.

Me either, never would have considered asparagus as bitter, but we all have
different tastes since Splenda leaves a nasty aftertaste with me, but not
apartame. Go figure.

Cheri

Old 17-05-2011, 05:38 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" wrote in message
I like fresh and canned I use canned in salads or for snacks. Good way
to fill up when hungry and need low carb. I buy the expensive canned stuff
though not the pale, tough, stringy cheap stuff which is vile.

The horrid canned stuff is what I grew up with. Thankfully we didn't have
it often. I do remember a babysitter trying to force me to eat it. And I
remember trying to get rid of it when I had it in my mouth at the dinner
table. I had a babysitting job and the kid's dad was in the driveway
waiting for me. My dad told me I couldn't leave the table until I had eaten
it. There was no way I could swallow it. I managed somehow to go into the
bathroom and spit it into the toilet.

Since then I have tried several times to eat the fresh stuff. It just won't
go down be it white or green, raw or cooked. I just don't like it!

Old 17-05-2011, 05:42 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" wrote in message
Don't find broccoli bitter at all (or asparagus for that matter) but
Brussels sprouts are a little bitter. I eat them as is though or sometimes
with butter and FGBP.

I must say I haven't had Brussels sprouts since I was a kid. If they come
canned that is most likely the kind I had because my mom was big into canned
veggies. I have heard that they are really good when roasted but unless I
get them in a restaurant that way I am unlikely to try them. I don't want
to cook them.

I do find broccoli, asparagus and to a lesser extent cauliflower to have a
vile taste when cooked. I wouldn't say bitter, but something so bad that I
have to immediately spit them out. Broccoli is the worst and I can't eat
something if it even has a speck of it in there or has touched it, such as a
vegetable medley. I can eat a very small amount of cauliflower in a soup.
I can (but don't like to) eat a small amount of raw broccoli or cauliflower.
I actually like the taste of raw cauliflower. It just doesn't agree with my
stomach. I can't eat asparagus no matter what!

Old 17-05-2011, 05:44 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" wrote in message
"Ozgirl" wrote in message
Don't find broccoli bitter at all (or asparagus for that matter) but
Brussels sprouts are a little bitter. I eat them as is though or
sometimes with butter and FGBP.

Me either, never would have considered asparagus as bitter, but we all
have different tastes since Splenda leaves a nasty aftertaste with me, but
not apartame. Go figure.

I was at a picky eater forum for adults. I thought I would fit right in
there, but I've been told by some there that I like too many foods
(especially veggies) to be a picky eater. Apparently most of them find all
veggies to be bitter except for maybe potatoes. Potatoes were one food most
of them did eat, but mostly as French fries.

Old 17-05-2011, 06:41 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

now that is just too funny... other people telling you what your food stats
is... was there anything that was worth sharing from this forum? i am
always interested in these sorts of things,

Lee

Old 17-05-2011, 07:50 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Cheri" wrote in message
"Ozgirl" wrote in message
Don't find broccoli bitter at all (or asparagus for that matter) but
Brussels sprouts are a little bitter. I eat them as is though or
sometimes with butter and FGBP.

Me either, never would have considered asparagus as bitter, but we
all have different tastes since Splenda leaves a nasty aftertaste
with me, but not apartame. Go figure.

I was at a picky eater forum for adults. I thought I would fit right
in there, but I've been told by some there that I like too many foods
(especially veggies) to be a picky eater.

Geez, you've lost your crown

Old 17-05-2011, 08:31 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
now that is just too funny... other people telling you what your food
stats is... was there anything that was worth sharing from this forum? i
am always interested in these sorts of things,

It's just a good thing that some of them are not diabetics. There really
are a few who eat little more than hamburgers (plain) and French fries.
Most seem to have textural issues with foods and like me will instinctually
spit something out that they do not like.

Old 17-05-2011, 08:32 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" wrote in message

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Cheri" wrote in message
"Ozgirl" wrote in message
Don't find broccoli bitter at all (or asparagus for that matter) but
Brussels sprouts are a little bitter. I eat them as is though or
sometimes with butter and FGBP.

Me either, never would have considered asparagus as bitter, but we all
have different tastes since Splenda leaves a nasty aftertaste with me,
but not apartame. Go figure.

I was at a picky eater forum for adults. I thought I would fit right in
there, but I've been told by some there that I like too many foods
(especially veggies) to be a picky eater.

Geez, you've lost your crown

Yeah. Seriously there are some people there who eat only 2 or 3 foods.
Some are even terrified to try new things.

Old 17-05-2011, 05:24 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 5/16/2011 5:23 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
I like fresh and canned I use canned in salads or for snacks. Good
way to fill up when hungry and need low carb. I buy the expensive canned
stuff though not the pale, tough, stringy cheap stuff which is vile.

the pickled asparagus isn't 'mushified' like the canned stuff

i DETESTED the canned stuff so much, i have never tried it again, can't
even think of it

now watch, i'll find out i've been eating canned asparagus in
restaurants! LOL

kate

Old 17-05-2011, 09:38 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

saw a study not long ago that some people are super tasters and chemically
certain foods react badly to them or different then regular peeps.

broccoli and asparagus and Brussels were on the list of foods.

pretty much all cruciferous veggies have that chemical in them.

KROM

Old 17-05-2011, 11:46 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" wrote in message
On 5/16/2011 5:23 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
I like fresh and canned I use canned in salads or for snacks. Good
way to fill up when hungry and need low carb. I buy the expensive
canned
stuff though not the pale, tough, stringy cheap stuff which is vile.

the pickled asparagus isn't 'mushified' like the canned stuff

i DETESTED the canned stuff so much, i have never tried it again,
can't even think of it

now watch, i'll find out i've been eating canned asparagus in
restaurants! LOL

kate

Vast difference between fresh and canned. You'd know. More likely to
find canned in sandwich bars. The expensive stuff in the cans is a
darker green and thinner for starters. The cheap stuff is pale, thick
and stringy. I used to eat cans of it as low carb between meal snacks

Old 18-05-2011, 07:22 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 5/17/2011 2:38 PM, KROM wrote:
saw a study not long ago that some people are super tasters and
chemically certain foods react badly to them or different then regular
peeps.

broccoli and asparagus and Brussels were on the list of foods.

pretty much all cruciferous veggies have that chemical in them.

KROM

yup, i'll agree with those comments whole heartedly

and i challenge folk to toss some Olive Oil & Balsamic Vinegar with sun
dried tomato dressing on those items

you'd be amazed!!!!!!!!!

bwha ha ha

kate
Old 18-05-2011, 07:24 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 5/17/2011 4:46 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

"Tiger Lily" wrote in message
On 5/16/2011 5:23 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
I like fresh and canned I use canned in salads or for snacks. Good
way to fill up when hungry and need low carb. I buy the expensive canned
stuff though not the pale, tough, stringy cheap stuff which is vile.

the pickled asparagus isn't 'mushified' like the canned stuff

i DETESTED the canned stuff so much, i have never tried it again,
can't even think of it

now watch, i'll find out i've been eating canned asparagus in
restaurants! LOL

kate

Vast difference between fresh and canned. You'd know. More likely to
find canned in sandwich bars. The expensive stuff in the cans is a
darker green and thinner for starters. The cheap stuff is pale, thick
and stringy. I used to eat cans of it as low carb between meal snacks

can't tell what you get in a can until you open it

but

we have asparagus (for varying prices) year round now

i LOVE asparagus!

lol

kate

Is celeriac an acquired taste? Jax[_2_] General Cooking 6 13-11-2013 09:48 PM
Celeriac Thumper[_2_] General Cooking 13 28-10-2013 05:49 PM
Mandoline and celeriac Michael Horowitz General Cooking 4 20-02-2010 10:55 PM
Celeriac soup Serene General Cooking 1 01-10-2007 03:18 PM
Lunch - Celeriac Soup Dee Randall General Cooking 0 28-12-2005 08:50 PM