Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default finalized my broccoli/meat/gravy recipe

for a few months I've been tinkering with making broccoli taste like potato
and cook cheap meat cuts into a tasty dish with a gravy like sauce all no
carb.
I also wanted it to be a one pot dish.

first was the meat...my local shop sells what it calls soup bones..usually
what's left after making boneless country ribs..so think thick cut pork
chops and T-bones with less meat.

you can use any meats really but the bones add a great deal of flavor and
natural gelatin and are usually very cheap..I would even if not eating them
add them to make the dish better and removing and feeding to a pet or person
like me who enjoy gnawing on bones..lol

I start by putting olive oil in a high sided fryer..but any deep pot with a
lid will do such as a Dutch oven or anything that can used stove top and has
at leas a five inch depth.

sometimes I add a pat of butter to flavor the oil..olive oil is buttery to
start so it is a old movie theater trick..tiny bit of butter to olive oil
make you think its all butter.

I first fry the meats with salt and pepper and spice I like such as rosemary
and cook until well browned..I then add chopped broccoli including the stems
as they become wonderful in this dish.
then I add a cup of chicken stock and a cup of beef stock and cover and let
cook 30-40 minutes

I make sure to stir a few times to ensure the liquid covers the broccoli so
it can absorb the flavors and become tender.

I remove the meat and broccoli and reduce the liquid and add a half teaspoon
guar gum and teaspoon unflavored gelatin powder.

I reduce the liquid until it becomes the desired consistency which for me is
turkey gravy thick.

guar gum alone leaves a weird mouth feel and the gelatin adds a wonderful
mouth feel.

I learned the gelatin trick from Americas test kitchen and they were right.

this makes the reduces stock glossy and delicious as is you made stock for
days and spend hours reducing and babying it.

I pour the sauce over the meat and vegg and enjoy.

as you can imagine its easy to mod this recipe to include things like
carrots and leeks etc.

I did these exact same steps but added Chinese flavors to the stock and
splenda at end and it was as good as any restaurant I've been to.

one pot..easy..delicious

KROM

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"KROM" > wrote in message ...
> for a few months I've been tinkering with making broccoli taste like
> potato and cook cheap meat cuts into a tasty dish with a gravy like sauce
> all no carb.
> I also wanted it to be a one pot dish.
>
> first was the meat...my local shop sells what it calls soup bones..usually
> what's left after making boneless country ribs..so think thick cut pork
> chops and T-bones with less meat.
>
> you can use any meats really but the bones add a great deal of flavor and
> natural gelatin and are usually very cheap..I would even if not eating
> them add them to make the dish better and removing and feeding to a pet or
> person like me who enjoy gnawing on bones..lol
>
> I start by putting olive oil in a high sided fryer..but any deep pot with
> a lid will do such as a Dutch oven or anything that can used stove top and
> has at leas a five inch depth.
>
> sometimes I add a pat of butter to flavor the oil..olive oil is buttery to
> start so it is a old movie theater trick..tiny bit of butter to olive oil
> make you think its all butter.
>
> I first fry the meats with salt and pepper and spice I like such as
> rosemary and cook until well browned..I then add chopped broccoli
> including the stems as they become wonderful in this dish.
> then I add a cup of chicken stock and a cup of beef stock and cover and
> let cook 30-40 minutes
>
> I make sure to stir a few times to ensure the liquid covers the broccoli
> so it can absorb the flavors and become tender.
>
> I remove the meat and broccoli and reduce the liquid and add a half
> teaspoon guar gum and teaspoon unflavored gelatin powder.
>
> I reduce the liquid until it becomes the desired consistency which for me
> is turkey gravy thick.
>
> guar gum alone leaves a weird mouth feel and the gelatin adds a wonderful
> mouth feel.
>
> I learned the gelatin trick from Americas test kitchen and they were
> right.
>
> this makes the reduces stock glossy and delicious as is you made stock for
> days and spend hours reducing and babying it.
>
> I pour the sauce over the meat and vegg and enjoy.
>
> as you can imagine its easy to mod this recipe to include things like
> carrots and leeks etc.
>
> I did these exact same steps but added Chinese flavors to the stock and
> splenda at end and it was as good as any restaurant I've been to.
>
> one pot..easy..delicious
>
> KROM

I think there is no way you could ever make broccoli taste like potato!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

This sounds really good, thanks for posting it KROM.

Cheri

"KROM" > wrote in message ...
> for a few months I've been tinkering with making broccoli taste like
> potato and cook cheap meat cuts into a tasty dish with a gravy like sauce
> all no carb.
> I also wanted it to be a one pot dish.
>
> first was the meat...my local shop sells what it calls soup bones..usually
> what's left after making boneless country ribs..so think thick cut pork
> chops and T-bones with less meat.
>
> you can use any meats really but the bones add a great deal of flavor and
> natural gelatin and are usually very cheap..I would even if not eating
> them add them to make the dish better and removing and feeding to a pet or
> person like me who enjoy gnawing on bones..lol
>
> I start by putting olive oil in a high sided fryer..but any deep pot with
> a lid will do such as a Dutch oven or anything that can used stove top and
> has at leas a five inch depth.
>
> sometimes I add a pat of butter to flavor the oil..olive oil is buttery to
> start so it is a old movie theater trick..tiny bit of butter to olive oil
> make you think its all butter.
>
> I first fry the meats with salt and pepper and spice I like such as
> rosemary and cook until well browned..I then add chopped broccoli
> including the stems as they become wonderful in this dish.
> then I add a cup of chicken stock and a cup of beef stock and cover and
> let cook 30-40 minutes
>
> I make sure to stir a few times to ensure the liquid covers the broccoli
> so it can absorb the flavors and become tender.
>
> I remove the meat and broccoli and reduce the liquid and add a half
> teaspoon guar gum and teaspoon unflavored gelatin powder.
>
> I reduce the liquid until it becomes the desired consistency which for me
> is turkey gravy thick.
>
> guar gum alone leaves a weird mouth feel and the gelatin adds a wonderful
> mouth feel.
>
> I learned the gelatin trick from Americas test kitchen and they were
> right.
>
> this makes the reduces stock glossy and delicious as is you made stock for
> days and spend hours reducing and babying it.
>
> I pour the sauce over the meat and vegg and enjoy.
>
> as you can imagine its easy to mod this recipe to include things like
> carrots and leeks etc.
>
> I did these exact same steps but added Chinese flavors to the stock and
> splenda at end and it was as good as any restaurant I've been to.
>
> one pot..easy..delicious
>
> KROM

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

very nice, Lee
"KROM" > wrote in message ...
> for a few months I've been tinkering with making broccoli taste like
> potato and cook cheap meat cuts into a tasty dish with a gravy like sauce
> all no carb.
> I also wanted it to be a one pot dish.
>
> first was the meat...my local shop sells what it calls soup bones..usually
> what's left after making boneless country ribs..so think thick cut pork
> chops and T-bones with less meat.
>
> you can use any meats really but the bones add a great deal of flavor and
> natural gelatin and are usually very cheap..I would even if not eating
> them add them to make the dish better and removing and feeding to a pet or
> person like me who enjoy gnawing on bones..lol
>
> I start by putting olive oil in a high sided fryer..but any deep pot with
> a lid will do such as a Dutch oven or anything that can used stove top and
> has at leas a five inch depth.
>
> sometimes I add a pat of butter to flavor the oil..olive oil is buttery to
> start so it is a old movie theater trick..tiny bit of butter to olive oil
> make you think its all butter.
>
> I first fry the meats with salt and pepper and spice I like such as
> rosemary and cook until well browned..I then add chopped broccoli
> including the stems as they become wonderful in this dish.
> then I add a cup of chicken stock and a cup of beef stock and cover and
> let cook 30-40 minutes
>
> I make sure to stir a few times to ensure the liquid covers the broccoli
> so it can absorb the flavors and become tender.
>
> I remove the meat and broccoli and reduce the liquid and add a half
> teaspoon guar gum and teaspoon unflavored gelatin powder.
>
> I reduce the liquid until it becomes the desired consistency which for me
> is turkey gravy thick.
>
> guar gum alone leaves a weird mouth feel and the gelatin adds a wonderful
> mouth feel.
>
> I learned the gelatin trick from Americas test kitchen and they were
> right.
>
> this makes the reduces stock glossy and delicious as is you made stock for
> days and spend hours reducing and babying it.
>
> I pour the sauce over the meat and vegg and enjoy.
>
> as you can imagine its easy to mod this recipe to include things like
> carrots and leeks etc.
>
> I did these exact same steps but added Chinese flavors to the stock and
> splenda at end and it was as good as any restaurant I've been to.
>
> one pot..easy..delicious
>
> KROM

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Sorry mate nothing you could do to broccoli could make me it it :-)
Saw the other day that it is actually unopened flower buds and I'm not
keen on eating flowers :-)

--
(- -)
=m=(_)=m=

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"atec77" > wrote in message
> On 12/05/2011 8:34 PM, RodS wrote:
>> Sorry mate nothing you could do to broccoli could make me it it :-)
>> Saw the other day that it is actually unopened flower buds and I'm
>> not
>> keen on eating flowers :-)

> Broccoli is good stuff when mixed through other vegetables , a little
> soy and ginger > excellent

All vegetables are great on their own

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "atec77" > wrote in message
>> On 12/05/2011 8:34 PM, RodS wrote:
>>> Sorry mate nothing you could do to broccoli could make me it it :-)
>>> Saw the other day that it is actually unopened flower buds and I'm not
>>> keen on eating flowers :-)

>> Broccoli is good stuff when mixed through other vegetables , a little
>> soy and ginger > excellent

> All vegetables are great on their own

And there are some...that are not great with anything on them. :-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Thu, 12 May 2011 20:34:59 +1000, RodS wrote:

> Sorry mate nothing you could do to broccoli could make me it it :-) Saw
> the other day that it is actually unopened flower buds and I'm not keen
> on eating flowers :-)

"And Im President of the United States and Im not going to eat any more
broccoli."

Herbert George Walker Bush, March 1990.

CauliFLOWER is also unopened flower buds. Maple flowers are delicious,
and linden flowers make a wonderful herbal tea!
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

something about the meat and stock cooking the broccoli a long time changes
its flavor..but your taste buds may vary..lol

KROM

"Boomer" wrote
It may not taste much like potatoes but that is OK with me. I love the taste
of broccoli. Thanks for posting this.
I bet it really tastes good.

Michael

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I hate vegetables..lol..but this I like..so if a pure meat eater as myself
can like it it is a good thing.

KROM

--
(- -)