Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default How do you keep things low carb?

I am getting very frustrated. I know my mom is making ham and deviled eggs
for Easter dinner. I know there are strawberries. I just called there and
she said my dad was fixing them. I know there will be raw veggies. She
told Angela to fix those. But the rest? I know there are King's Hawaiian
Rolls and there will be an ice cream cake. My mom put out at least 4 kinds
of candy while we were there today. She usually puts out some kind of chips
before dinner and also some bean dip and hummus. Most likely there will be
brown rice for SIL and maybe some kind of potatoes. My brother will
probably bring salads that I can't eat like pasta, coleslaw and potato. He
usually does.

I just put the baked beans on to cook in the Crock-Pot. I used about half
beans and half bacon. 4 cans of beans. Little bit of mustard. Maybe 3/4
cup of ketchup and 1/4 cup molasses. A little bit of Splenda. Not a lot
because they didn't seem to need it. 2 large white onions well caramelized.
This adds most of the sweetness I think. So lower in carbs than most baked
beans.

I then decided while we were at the store yesterday to bring some cheeses
and Angela wanted some expensive dry salami.

So I called my mom and said we would be bringing these. Her response? Oh!
I guess I should get some crackers then. Honestly I didn't even think of
crackers! I never eat crackers with cheese. I have brought cheese plates
to countless parties and nobody ever asked for a cracker.

I am trying to make sure we have a lot of low carb foods because I have a
mom in denial about her own diabetes. She says she will always have high BG
when tested but it is NOT diabetes. Yeah right. She is getting on my dad's
case because he does have diabetes and may soon have to go on insulin. He
has to go back for diabetes education and see a dietician yet again. My
brother is now on insulin and his BG is out of control. And then there's
me. Doing better but still some high numbers.

My theory is if you don't put it out, they won't eat it. Yes, my SIL needs
the rice. She had pre-diabetes. No longer has it because she lost over
half her body weight but I worry because she appears to be gaining weight
again rather rapidly. SIL is on a special and rather strict diet because of
some odd nutritional deficiencies. She also has to eat pickled things for
her digestion. So yes, she needs the rice. But mom will cook a ton of it
and then everyone but me will end up eating it.

The rolls, ice cream cake and candies are for my nephew and his girlfriend.
But again because there are tons, they will all eat it. I'm sure there will
probably be pies brought by my brother. It amazes me, the amount of
desserts that they will eat. I bought some large egg shaped paper plates
for dinner. I bought them last year and we used them. I told my mom I
would be bringing them. She said she didn't think we would use them for
dinner but for dessert. Really? I was like... Uh, I bought dessert
plates. You know... The little ones? Uh huh. Really?

Gah! So, yeah, I know when another person is serving dinner it is next to
impossible to avoid the carbs. Not that I eat totally low carb because I
don't. But I do try to provide options like the cheese and salami but then
someone goes and mucks it up by putting crackers there. It also bugs me
because Angela can't eat wheat so I don't really want the crackers there.
She will just think that is one more thing she can't eat.

So what do you do in a case like this? Or is it a hopeless cause? Perhaps
my mom won't actually buy the crackers. We did go to the store today and
she bought a small carton of plain ice cream for Angela but I didn't see her
buy crackers. She did buy Peeps though.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Its the same old story, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make
them drink. Eat what you need to eat and let the others eat what the
heck they want IOW, don't own other people's problems. Oh, and if
Angela wants crackers grab some rice ones. I always have rice crackers
in the pantry because I prefer them anyway.

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> [...]
> didn't think we would use them for dinner but for dessert. Really? I
> was like... Uh, I bought dessert plates. You know... The little
> ones? Uh huh. Really?
>
> Gah! So, yeah, I know when another person is serving dinner it is
> next to impossible to avoid the carbs. Not that I eat totally low
> carb because I don't. But I do try to provide options like the cheese
> and salami but then someone goes and mucks it up by putting crackers
> there. It also bugs me because Angela can't eat wheat so I don't
> really want the crackers there. She will just think that is one more
> thing she can't eat.
>
> So what do you do in a case like this? Or is it a hopeless cause?
> Perhaps my mom won't actually buy the crackers. We did go to the
> store today and she bought a small carton of plain ice cream for
> Angela but I didn't see her buy crackers. She did buy Peeps though.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Its the same old story, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make
> them drink. Eat what you need to eat and let the others eat what the heck
> they want IOW, don't own other people's problems. Oh, and if Angela
> wants crackers grab some rice ones. I always have rice crackers in the
> pantry because I prefer them anyway.

That's true about the other people. Angela hates rice crackers and I don't
blame her.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
<snip>

If I were your mother I would serve grilled asparagus and salmon with
cucumber dill sauce, with perhaps some berries wih Grand Marnier on them for
dessert. There could be a brown rice pilaf side dish, and the diabetics
could eat a small serving.

Seems to me that the menu you describe includes an awful lot of dishes that
no one present should be eating, and they aren't particularly seasonal or
delicious either.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:
> <snip>
>
> If I were your mother I would serve grilled asparagus and salmon with
> cucumber dill sauce, with perhaps some berries wih Grand Marnier on
> them for dessert. There could be a brown rice pilaf side dish, and
> the diabetics could eat a small serving.

Good thing you're not my mother because nobody in my family would eat that!
Well, SIL might eat the salmon but certainly not the sauce. She doesn't eat
any sauce. My brother is very much anti-liquor of any kind. And the rest
of us don't eat fish except perhaps for occasional tuna. Well Angela and my
dad will eat stuff like fish and chips or fish sticks. And my parents will
occasionally eat tilapia but the rest of us won't. Certainly not salmon
even though it is a common food here.

> Seems to me that the menu you describe includes an awful lot of
> dishes that no one present should be eating, and they aren't
> particularly seasonal or delicious either.

My family doesn't eat seasonally and they eat pretty much plain food. I
have never eaten ham. I actually rejoiced when my mom served it to her mom
and aunt who came to visit. They said nobody should be eating it because of
the fat and salt. They ate the rest of the meal but refused that. I think
my grandma would use a bit of ham in a pot of beans but I doubt she would
ever serve a whole ham.

I don't even know if my nephew's GF will eat that meal. I know she eats
chicken and turkey in small amounts. She said she doesn't eat red meat.
Eats only one meal per day and not much at that. She is extremely skinny.
Neither she nor my nephew are very big on sweets so I think my mom is just
using them as an excuse.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:
[...]

When it is someone else's house you really can't do much. If you ever
hold the Easer meal then you get o pick the foods to have and the foods
not to have. All you can do is watch what you eat and exercise contorl
and the same for Angela.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> When it is someone else's house you really can't do much. If you ever
> hold the Easer meal then you get o pick the foods to have and the foods
> not to have. All you can do is watch what you eat and exercise contorl
> and the same for Angela.

We don't have family meals here. Our house is small and our table only
seats 4. Plus I get sick of trying to accommodate everyone. Every single
person in the family except for my husband is a picky eater. Some to the
extreme. And then there are the food allergies and other dietary
restrictions.

And even if I did do a dinner, they would still bring what they wanted. I
know they would. Which is pretty much what I am doing, but at least I know
I am not enabling anyone to be eating that which they shouldn't. Except
perhaps for my dad who is not supposed to have dairy because of his
gallbladder or pancreas. I forget which. He doesn't usually eat a lot of
that though. I think he is one of those people who would rather eat sweets
than cheese. I am just the opposite.

My mom already told us that everyone is going to have to take some candy
home because she is de-sugaring the house after Easter. I can't tell you
how many times she has said this and yet there is always candy in there
somewhere. I suppose with a diabetic in the house one should keep some
candy if one isn't going to keep juice or regular soda. But it doesn't have
to be candy one is tempted to eat.

I already told her *not* to buy Peeps for Angela because we just threw out
(and I kid you not) two black lawn and leaf bags full of expired food and
much of it Peeps. Then when my mom announced that she hadn't bought any,
Angela pouted and said, "No Peeps?" Well guess where we went after that?
Yep. To the drugstore for Peeps. My mom justified this by saying that my
SILL likes them. Which she does. But... She already has the large Costco
sized chocolate eggs. We have those too but only because I thought they
were so pretty. They are the size of real eggs and they are wrapped in
colored foil. I did try a small bite of one and it went straight in the
trash. It is imported chocolate so I thought it would be good. It is not!
Then there were jelly beans. And today she bought this HUGE bag of Robin's
Eggs. Those are sort of like malt balls. And she usually put out a box of
Sunkist Fruit snacks because my brother likes them. Oh yeah. And she has a
big basket of candy and other stuff for nephew's girlfriend who has said
countless times that she doesn't usually eat sweets.

Well I don't know what we will have to do but I assure you we will not be
bringing any candy home with us. I already bought a small amount of candy
for Angela's basket. She no longer believes in the bunny but she wants the
stuff. Mostly she wants a chocolate rabbit because she usually doesn't get
them. With her food allergies they are hard to find but I did find a safe
one this year.

We just don't need that stuff in the house and I'd rather throw it out than
bring it home.

We've worked hard to do Spring cleaning. Just hauled another van load of
stuff to Value Village. They sell the things you no longer want or need and
the proceeds go to help blind people. We donated any unexpired food to the
food bank and threw the rest away. We do need to buy some more to donate.
I try to do that every few months.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 24/04/2011 11:50 AM, Ozgirl wrote:
> Its the same old story, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make
> them drink. Eat what you need to eat and let the others eat what the
> heck they want IOW, don't own other people's problems. Oh, and if
> Angela wants crackers grab some rice ones. I always have rice crackers
> in the pantry because I prefer them anyway.

I read somewhere recently a claim that by the time 20 year olds are my
age 1/3 will be diabetic
perhaps dietary change will be learnt to late
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"atec77" > wrote in message
> On 24/04/2011 11:50 AM, Ozgirl wrote:
>> Its the same old story, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make
>> them drink. Eat what you need to eat and let the others eat what the
>> heck they want IOW, don't own other people's problems. Oh, and if
>> Angela wants crackers grab some rice ones. I always have rice crackers
>> in the pantry because I prefer them anyway.
>>

> I read somewhere recently a claim that by the time 20 year olds are my age
> 1/3 will be diabetic
> perhaps dietary change will be learnt to late

How old are you?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"atec77" > wrote in message
> On 24/04/2011 3:34 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>>>>
>>> I read somewhere recently a claim that by the time 20 year olds are my
>>> age
>>> 1/3 will be diabetic
>>> perhaps dietary change will be learnt to late

>> How old are you?
>>

> not 20

Oooooookay.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

for yourself only, and for angela, after you educate her, your work is
done, even though she is a child she has to own her own eating habits, sad
as it is to say, there are a lot more emotions in food than just the
chenistry of it, and in the end you can only provide a good example nothing
else, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> [...]
> use them for dinner but for dessert. Really? I was like... Uh, I bought
> dessert plates. You know... The little ones? Uh huh. Really?
>
> Gah! So, yeah, I know when another person is serving dinner it is next to
> impossible to avoid the carbs. Not that I eat totally low carb because I
> don't. But I do try to provide options like the cheese and salami but
> then someone goes and mucks it up by putting crackers there. It also bugs
> me because Angela can't eat wheat so I don't really want the crackers
> there. She will just think that is one more thing she can't eat.
>
> So what do you do in a case like this? Or is it a hopeless cause?
> Perhaps my mom won't actually buy the crackers. We did go to the store
> today and she bought a small carton of plain ice cream for Angela but I
> didn't see her buy crackers. She did buy Peeps though.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> That's true about the other people. Angela hates rice crackers and I
> don't blame her.

:-)

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> Janet wrote:
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>> <snip>
>>
>> If I were your mother I would serve grilled asparagus and salmon with
>> cucumber dill sauce, with perhaps some berries wih Grand Marnier on
>> them for dessert. There could be a brown rice pilaf side dish, and
>> the diabetics could eat a small serving.

> Good thing you're not my mother because nobody in my family would eat
> that!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

if there's a lot of choices that should be great!
temptations are only especially tempting if there is no other options.

if I am at a party and there is for example cheese crackers and shrimp..I
will happily eat the cheese and the shrimp and be glad there was options I
COULD eat.

but thats just me...

KROM

"W. Baker" wrote ...

When it is someone else's house you really can't do much. If you ever
hold the Easer meal then you get o pick the foods to have and the foods
not to have. All you can do is watch what you eat and exercise contorl
Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> for yourself only, and for angela, after you educate her, your work is
> done, even though she is a child she has to own her own eating habits, sad
> as it is to say, there are a lot more emotions in food than just the
> chenistry of it, and in the end you can only provide a good example
> nothing else, Lee

True.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"KROM" > wrote in message ...
> if there's a lot of choices that should be great!
> temptations are only especially tempting if there is no other options.
>
> if I am at a party and there is for example cheese crackers and shrimp..I
> will happily eat the cheese and the shrimp and be glad there was options I
> COULD eat.
>
> but that's just me...
>
> KROM

I avoid what I shouldn't eat. Sometimes I might take just one bite of
something that is really high in carbs. But my family is not like that.
The more there is, the more they will eat. I find it odd.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

KROM > wrote:
: if there's a lot of choices that should be great!
: temptations are only especially tempting if there is no other options.

: if I am at a party and there is for example cheese crackers and shrimp..I
: will happily eat the cheese and the shrimp and be glad there was options I
: COULD eat.

: but that?s just me...

: KROM

: "W. Baker" wrote ...

: When it is someone else's house you really can't do much. If you ever
: hold the Easer meal then you get o pick the foods to have and the foods
: not to have. All you can do is watch what you eat and exercise contorl
: Wendy

Yesterday I had lunch out. It was a long, leisurly Sabbath luch with us
sitting at teh taable afterwards for hours have lovely discussions with no
place to go and the kids all out playing basketball.

The lunch, itself was great for me, tons of salds, many with cabbage adn
home made with no sugar, a chopped cucumger one that I woudl love to get
the recipe for, a choice of gefilte fish or a fresh salmon dish, chicken,
and sliced canteloupe dry red wine, and a little matzot. that's what I
ate. In addition, there was a carby meat cholent(hot meat and potatoos(no
beans for Passover), a kishke, a stuffed fatty, carby delicious dish, Lots
of matzot, Chocolate cake, sweet wine, and, after the plates were cleared
adn the boys went out, they brought out several kinds of candy, chocolatae
truffle bakks. solid chocotale pieces in the shape of instruments(If
theyhad had a trumpet I would have been tempted:-), soour jelly balls, and
the rest of the chocolate cake sitting there and dried fruits. The did
leave the sliced fruit plate out near me and I did indulge in a few
canteloups slices and a few dried apricot. We sat at that table until
6:30 PM andI enjoyd yself thoroughly, without dwelling on all the candy I
couldn't eat. That is how I have to manage if I am going to enjoy going
out and being among riends. It is my WOE and that's what I do to live my
life as sociable and complication free as possible..

I wish all of you the same enjoyment I had yesterday with teh same bg
results.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sat, 23 Apr 2011 18:21:22 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> [...]

>would be bringing them. She said she didn't think we would use them for
>dinner but for dessert. Really? I was like... Uh, I bought dessert
>plates. You know... The little ones? Uh huh. Really?
>
>Gah! So, yeah, I know when another person is serving dinner it is next to
>impossible to avoid the carbs. Not that I eat totally low carb because I
>don't. But I do try to provide options like the cheese and salami but then
>someone goes and mucks it up by putting crackers there. It also bugs me
>because Angela can't eat wheat so I don't really want the crackers there.
>She will just think that is one more thing she can't eat.
>
>So what do you do in a case like this? Or is it a hopeless cause? Perhaps
>my mom won't actually buy the crackers. We did go to the store today and
>she bought a small carton of plain ice cream for Angela but I didn't see her

Julie we have been to parties where the ONLY thing half way edible was
the dish I brought with me. We are always polite and try to be
cheerful in spite of it. I always bring something I know we both
like, knowing it may be the only decent dish there!

Evelyn
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sun, 24 Apr 2011 20:05:00 +0000 (UTC), "W. Baker"
> wrote:

>KROM > wrote:
>: if there's a lot of choices that should be great!
>: temptations are only especially tempting if there is no other options.
>
>: if I am at a party and there is for example cheese crackers and shrimp..I
>: will happily eat the cheese and the shrimp and be glad there was options I
>: COULD eat.
>
>: but that?s just me...
>
>: KROM
>

>: "W. Baker" wrote ...
>
>: When it is someone else's house you really can't do much. If you ever
>: hold the Easer meal then you get o pick the foods to have and the foods
>: not to have. All you can do is watch what you eat and exercise contorl
>: Wendy
>
>Yesterday I had lunch out. It was a long, leisurly Sabbath luch with us
>sitting at teh taable afterwards for hours have lovely discussions with no
>place to go and the kids all out playing basketball.
>
>The lunch, itself was great for me, tons of salds, many with cabbage adn
>home made with no sugar, a chopped cucumger one that I woudl love to get
>the recipe for, a choice of gefilte fish or a fresh salmon dish, chicken,
>and sliced canteloupe dry red wine, and a little matzot. that's what I
>ate. In addition, there was a carby meat cholent(hot meat and potatoos(no
>beans for Passover), a kishke, a stuffed fatty, carby delicious dish, Lots
>of matzot, Chocolate cake, sweet wine, and, after the plates were cleared
>adn the boys went out, they brought out several kinds of candy, chocolatae
>truffle bakks. solid chocotale pieces in the shape of instruments(If
>theyhad had a trumpet I would have been tempted:-), soour jelly balls, and
>the rest of the chocolate cake sitting there and dried fruits. The did
>leave the sliced fruit plate out near me and I did indulge in a few
>canteloups slices and a few dried apricot. We sat at that table until
>6:30 PM andI enjoyd yself thoroughly, without dwelling on all the candy I
>couldn't eat. That is how I have to manage if I am going to enjoy going
>out and being among riends. It is my WOE and that's what I do to live my
>life as sociable and complication free as possible..
>
>I wish all of you the same enjoyment I had yesterday with teh same bg
>results.
>
>Wendy

It sounds like it was a wonderful day Wendy! I am so glad for you!

Evelyn
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "KROM" > wrote in message
>> if there's a lot of choices that should be great!
>> temptations are only especially tempting if there is no other
>> options.
>>
>> if I am at a party and there is for example cheese crackers and
>> shrimp..I will happily eat the cheese and the shrimp and be glad
>> there was options I COULD eat.
>>
>> but that's just me...
>>
>> KROM

> I avoid what I shouldn't eat. Sometimes I might take just one bite of
> something that is really high in carbs. But my family is not like
> that. The more there is, the more they will eat. I find it odd.

I don't find it odd, just go to an all you can eat restaurant and watch
people.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> [...]
>>someone goes and mucks it up by putting crackers there. It also bugs
>>me
>>because Angela can't eat wheat so I don't really want the crackers
>>there.
>>She will just think that is one more thing she can't eat.
>>
>>So what do you do in a case like this? Or is it a hopeless cause?
>>Perhaps
>>my mom won't actually buy the crackers. We did go to the store today
>>and
>>she bought a small carton of plain ice cream for Angela but I didn't
>>see her
>>buy crackers. She did buy Peeps though.
>>

> Julie we have been to parties where the ONLY thing half way edible was
> the dish I brought with me. We are always polite and try to be
> cheerful in spite of it. I always bring something I know we both
> like, knowing it may be the only decent dish there!

That's always the best way. I tend to bring a large platter of crudités
with cheeses and salamis etc plus salsa and cottage cheese. Often it
would be the first thing to go, some people really appreciate having
something healthier at a party. I also cut up chickens and ham too.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "KROM" > wrote in message
>>> if there's a lot of choices that should be great!
>>> temptations are only especially tempting if there is no other options.
>>>
>>> if I am at a party and there is for example cheese crackers and
>>> shrimp..I will happily eat the cheese and the shrimp and be glad there
>>> was options I COULD eat.
>>>
>>> but that's just me...
>>>
>>> KROM

>> I avoid what I shouldn't eat. Sometimes I might take just one bite of
>> something that is really high in carbs. But my family is not like that.
>> The more there is, the more they will eat. I find it odd.

> I don't find it odd, just go to an all you can eat restaurant and watch
> people.

I try not to watch other people at places like that. Makes me ill.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> Julie we have been to parties where the ONLY thing half way edible was
> the dish I brought with me. We are always polite and try to be
> cheerful in spite of it. I always bring something I know we both
> like, knowing it may be the only decent dish there!

Yeah, but... What I don't get is... My mom was providing the food. My mom
was the one complaining about diabetics eating what they should not. So why
in the heck was she serving it to them? As it turned out, nobody ate my
beans but Angela and me. I also brought olives that I forgot to mention.
Why did I bring them? Because I like olives and I don't like being told I
can have only 5 of them. Those that did try my olives complained about
them. A little of the cheese did get eaten. Nobody ate the salami but
Angela. They all said they didn't want it.

There were potato chips? Why? I don't know. Nobody in the family likes
them. There were Fritos. Angela and I ate a few of those. There was no
rice. Apparently SIL is no longer eating that. There were raw veggies.
Mostly went untouched. I didn't eat any because I wasn't very hungry and
figured I was getting enough fiber in the beans. I did eat a very small
amount of the mashed potatoes that were there. There was not only ham but
meatloaf. Also potato salad and coleslaw. Small amounts of those which was
good because I think only Angela ate those. And some dip and salsa that
nobody ate.

Three kinds of cake plus the ice cream cake. And a HUGE amount of
strawberries that just were not good. They were very sour.

I don't really see why we needed the meatloaf except that my nephew really
likes it and my mom made it for him to take home. He did eat ham and
apparently his girlfriend east it also.

Bottom line, waaaay too much food. But I survived it. The only thing I ate
that I shouldn't have was a lemon jelly bean. It was a small one.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> That's always the best way. I tend to bring a large platter of crudités
> with cheeses and salamis etc plus salsa and cottage cheese. Often it would
> be the first thing to go, some people really appreciate having something
> healthier at a party. I also cut up chickens and ham too.

Apparently that stuff doesn't go over well at my parent's house. Only a
little cheese was eaten and I think Angela had one slice of salami. No
salsa was eaten at all.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> I don't really see why we needed the meatloaf except that my nephew really
> likes it and my mom made it for him to take home. He did eat ham and
> apparently his girlfriend east it also.

Well, *you* don't really have to see why it was needed as long as your mom
did. Really.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Well, we ended up having pan roasted pork tenderloin rubbed with Penzey's
Tsardust Memories spice mix with a pan reduction sauce made with white wine,
a strong brown stock from the freezer, and heavy cream; asparagus tossed in
olive oil, sea salt, and fresh black pepper then grilled; and brown rice. I
had a sugar-free chocolate bar from Trader Joe's for dessert.

It was low carb, and delicious.

But I'm sure no one in Julie's family would have condescended to touch any
of it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 4/24/2011 4:39 PM, Evelyn wrote:

> Julie we have been to parties where the ONLY thing half way edible was
> the dish I brought with me. We are always polite and try to be
> cheerful in spite of it. I always bring something I know we both
> like, knowing it may be the only decent dish there!
>
> Evelyn

ditto, Evelyn

then i load my plate up with the item i brought and i have a tablespoon
(or none) of the other items brought

sometimes it's a bit more 'dire' than that and i smile, have a good
conversation with folks, enjoy the company and time together, and run
home and have something i can eat! (i'm thinking of a group that puts
sugar into everything they make, except the mashed potatoes! LOL)

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Mon, 25 Apr 2011 11:53:04 -0400, "Janet" >
wrote:

>Well, we ended up having pan roasted pork tenderloin rubbed with Penzey's
>Tsardust Memories spice mix with a pan reduction sauce made with white wine,
>a strong brown stock from the freezer, and heavy cream; asparagus tossed in
>olive oil, sea salt, and fresh black pepper then grilled; and brown rice. I
>had a sugar-free chocolate bar from Trader Joe's for dessert.
>
>It was low carb, and delicious.
>
>But I'm sure no one in Julie's family would have condescended to touch any
>of it.

You are probably right, unfortunately. I have known a few fussy
eaters but I make a point of not going to dinner with them or inviting
them over more than once..... the first time. I just don't have the
time to deal with it. More power to those who can.....

Evelyn
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Mon, 25 Apr 2011 10:21:31 -0600, Tiger Lily > wrote:

>On 4/24/2011 4:39 PM, Evelyn wrote:
>
>> Julie we have been to parties where the ONLY thing half way edible was
>> the dish I brought with me. We are always polite and try to be
>> cheerful in spite of it. I always bring something I know we both
>> like, knowing it may be the only decent dish there!
>>
>> Evelyn

>ditto, Evelyn
>
>then i load my plate up with the item i brought and i have a tablespoon
>(or none) of the other items brought
>
>sometimes it's a bit more 'dire' than that and i smile, have a good
>conversation with folks, enjoy the company and time together, and run
>home and have something i can eat! (i'm thinking of a group that puts
>sugar into everything they make, except the mashed potatoes! LOL)
>
>kate

Now THAT would definitely drive me nuts! I have never been much of a
sugar hound.

Evelyn
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message

> You are probably right, unfortunately. I have known a few fussy
> eaters but I make a point of not going to dinner with them or inviting
> them over more than once..... the first time. I just don't have the
> time to deal with it. More power to those who can.....
>
> Evelyn

I never invite anybody back that criticizes the food. Best that they make
dinner the next time IMO, especially those big dinners that take a lot of
time and effort...to say nothing of the expense. :-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Mon, 25 Apr 2011 10:30:40 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Evelyn" > wrote in message
.. .

>> You are probably right, unfortunately. I have known a few fussy
>> eaters but I make a point of not going to dinner with them or inviting
>> them over more than once..... the first time. I just don't have the
>> time to deal with it. More power to those who can.....
>>
>> Evelyn

>I never invite anybody back that criticizes the food. Best that they make
>dinner the next time IMO, especially those big dinners that take a lot of
>time and effort...to say nothing of the expense. :-)
>
>Cheri

Definitely! I may not be able to control one event, but I can
certainly prevent a repeat performance.

Evelyn
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 4/25/2011 10:28 AM, Evelyn wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Apr 2011 10:21:31 -0600, Tiger > wrote:
>
>> On 4/24/2011 4:39 PM, Evelyn wrote:
>>
>>> Julie we have been to parties where the ONLY thing half way edible was
>>> the dish I brought with me. We are always polite and try to be
>>> cheerful in spite of it. I always bring something I know we both
>>> like, knowing it may be the only decent dish there!
>>>
>>> Evelyn

>> ditto, Evelyn
>>
>> then i load my plate up with the item i brought and i have a tablespoon
>> (or none) of the other items brought
>>
>> sometimes it's a bit more 'dire' than that and i smile, have a good
>> conversation with folks, enjoy the company and time together, and run
>> home and have something i can eat! (i'm thinking of a group that puts
>> sugar into everything they make, except the mashed potatoes! LOL)
>>
>> kate

> Now THAT would definitely drive me nuts! I have never been much of a
> sugar hound.
>
> Evelyn

lol

my favourite one?

at a meal, there were the usual sugary dishes.......that glaze for
beets, and carbs and such

not a problem, i work around it, but they had a broccoli dish there! wow!

so, i ate the meat, a bit of carbs, avoided the glazed beets lines,
salads, veggies AND this incredible broccoli dish

but......... i also know to TEST after i eat there because ya never
know......... and my bg was 23.? or over 415

what?????

shoot a huge correction

ponder over what DID i eat?

call mom, tell her what an EXCELLENT broccoli dish that was, and would
she kindly send me the recipe

1 cup broccoli
1 cup mayonaise
1/2 cup sugar
....................... got it
sigh

kate
Experienced Member

Location: Manila, Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Bove[_2_] View Post
[...]

I know what you mean. Sometimes, you really just have to grin and bear it and exercise a LOT of self-control.
__________________
Noemi
Recipe-Finder: The Smart Way to Find Recipes
"Sleep 'til you're hungry, eat 'til you're sleepy." ~Author Unknown
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Noemi" > wrote in message
> I know what you mean. Sometimes, you really just have to grin and bear
> it and exercise a LOT of self-control.

I don't need self control. It's the others that do. And they don't.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 09:28:18 -0600, Tiger Lily > wrote:

>On 4/25/2011 10:28 AM, Evelyn wrote:

>>> ditto, Evelyn
>>>
>>> then i load my plate up with the item i brought and i have a tablespoon
>>> (or none) of the other items brought
>>>
>>> sometimes it's a bit more 'dire' than that and i smile, have a good
>>> conversation with folks, enjoy the company and time together, and run
>>> home and have something i can eat! (i'm thinking of a group that puts
>>> sugar into everything they make, except the mashed potatoes! LOL)
>>>
>>> kate

>> Now THAT would definitely drive me nuts! I have never been much of a
>> sugar hound.
>>
>> Evelyn

>lol
>
>my favourite one?
>
>at a meal, there were the usual sugary dishes.......that glaze for
>beets, and carbs and such
>
>not a problem, i work around it, but they had a broccoli dish there! wow!
>
>so, i ate the meat, a bit of carbs, avoided the glazed beets lines,
>salads, veggies AND this incredible broccoli dish
>
>but......... i also know to TEST after i eat there because ya never
>know......... and my bg was 23.? or over 415
>
>what?????
>
>shoot a huge correction
>
>ponder over what DID i eat?
>
>call mom, tell her what an EXCELLENT broccoli dish that was, and would
>she kindly send me the recipe
>
>1 cup broccoli
>1 cup mayonaise
>1/2 cup sugar
>...................... got it
>sigh
>
>kate

OMG! No wonder!

Evelyn

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 4/26/2011 10:28 AM, Tiger Lily wrote:
> On 4/25/2011 10:28 AM, Evelyn wrote:

>>> ditto, Evelyn
>>>
>>> then i load my plate up with the item i brought and i have a tablespoon
>>> (or none) of the other items brought
>>>
>>> sometimes it's a bit more 'dire' than that and i smile, have a good
>>> conversation with folks, enjoy the company and time together, and run
>>> home and have something i can eat! (i'm thinking of a group that puts
>>> sugar into everything they make, except the mashed potatoes! LOL)
>>>
>>> kate

>> Now THAT would definitely drive me nuts! I have never been much of a
>> sugar hound.
>>
>> Evelyn

> lol
>
> my favourite one?
>
> at a meal, there were the usual sugary dishes.......that glaze for
> beets, and carbs and such
>
> not a problem, i work around it, but they had a broccoli dish there! wow!
>
> so, i ate the meat, a bit of carbs, avoided the glazed beets lines,
> salads, veggies AND this incredible broccoli dish
>
> but......... i also know to TEST after i eat there because ya never
> know......... and my bg was 23.? or over 415
>
> what?????
>
> shoot a huge correction
>
> ponder over what DID i eat?
>
> call mom, tell her what an EXCELLENT broccoli dish that was, and would
> she kindly send me the recipe
>
> 1 cup broccoli
> 1 cup mayonaise
> 1/2 cup sugar
> ....................... got it
> sigh
>
> kate

Sometimes when people like sugar that much, they have undiagnosed
diabetes. Have they let you test for it?

Robert
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 8/4/2011 11:02 PM, Robert Miles wrote:
> On 4/26/2011 10:28 AM, Tiger Lily wrote:

>>> Now THAT would definitely drive me nuts! I have never been much of a
>>> sugar hound.
>>>
>>> Evelyn

>> lol
>>
>> my favourite one?
>>
>> at a meal, there were the usual sugary dishes.......that glaze for
>> beets, and carbs and such
>>
>> not a problem, i work around it, but they had a broccoli dish there! wow!
>>
>> so, i ate the meat, a bit of carbs, avoided the glazed beets lines,
>> salads, veggies AND this incredible broccoli dish
>>
>> but......... i also know to TEST after i eat there because ya never
>> know......... and my bg was 23.? or over 415
>>
>> what?????
>>
>> shoot a huge correction
>>
>> ponder over what DID i eat?
>>
>> call mom, tell her what an EXCELLENT broccoli dish that was, and would
>> she kindly send me the recipe
>>
>> 1 cup broccoli
>> 1 cup mayonaise
>> 1/2 cup sugar
>> ....................... got it
>> sigh
>>
>> kate

> Sometimes when people like sugar that much, they have undiagnosed
> diabetes. Have they let you test for it?
>
> Robert

ya.......... and under the 'old' standards, Mom came in 'normal'.

With the new guidelines, she would be considered pre-diabetic if not
diabetic.

She's almost 83....... and not interested in hearing any of this.

kate
Member

Instead, regular exercise will help a lot. I came across an article underscoring the 15 minutes of regular exercise will help.

15 Mins Daily Exercise cuts Death Risk: Study

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Lily View Post