Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Easter dinner?

Anyone have plans yet? My mom is making ham. I don't know what all else.
I don't eat ham so I am making baked beans. I got the recipe from Colleen
who used to post here. They have a touch of molasses and some Splenda but
mainly they get their sweetness from tons of caramelized onions. I also add
bacon which her recipe did not have. She didn't really have a formal
recipe. Just told me what to put in and I do it to taste.

I will mainly be eating the baked beans. My parents always have raw veggies
and sometimes a lettuce salad as well. And there will be other things that
I know I can't eat. I will be buying some flax muffins for Angela to have
for dessert. I might also bring some cheeses.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> Anyone have plans yet? My mom is making ham. I don't know what all
> else. I don't eat ham so I am making baked beans. I got the recipe
> from Colleen who used to post here. They have a touch of molasses and
> some Splenda but mainly they get their sweetness from tons of
> caramelized onions. I also add bacon which her recipe did not have.
> She didn't really have a formal recipe. Just told me what to put in
> and I do it to taste.
>
> I will mainly be eating the baked beans. My parents always have raw
> veggies and sometimes a lettuce salad as well. And there will be
> other things that I know I can't eat. I will be buying some flax
> muffins for Angela to have for dessert. I might also bring some
> cheeses.

Yeah, its Jasmine's 15th birthday Party pies, sausage rolls, cocktail
frankfurts with tomato sauce, fairy bread, lollies, chips and birthday
cake Normally I would also add in some meats and salads for those who
want it but Alex had his appendix out a few days ago so I haven't got
round to getting out of the house much. Its already 3.30 pm Thursday so
I will do a quick shop for party food and essentials when I go out to
refill Alex's antibiotic scripts. Probably go out early Saturday before
the crowds and get birthday cake and fresh bread. Pete, my 20yr old and
I, just went and collected birthday laybys. A trampoline from K Mart and
a swing set from a toy shop. Unfortunately Jasmine went out to the
carport and even though she can't read she saw a pic of the trampoline
on the box! So we will set that up for her tomorrow. Try and put up the
swing set Saturday night while she isn't looking She hasn't found the
Easter Eggs yet, despite spending the morning in my room, where they
are. Her room and a couple of others were cleaned by a carpet cleaner
this morning. What I'd really like is Cheri's Lamb recipe

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> Anyone have plans yet? My mom is making ham. I don't know what all else.
> I don't eat ham so I am making baked beans. I got the recipe from Colleen
> who used to post here. They have a touch of molasses and some Splenda but
> mainly they get their sweetness from tons of caramelized onions. I also
> add bacon which her recipe did not have. She didn't really have a formal
> recipe. Just told me what to put in and I do it to taste.
>
> I will mainly be eating the baked beans. My parents always have raw
> veggies and sometimes a lettuce salad as well. And there will be other
> things that I know I can't eat. I will be buying some flax muffins for
> Angela to have for dessert. I might also bring some cheeses.

We're having Nueski's Old Fashion ham and a couple side dishes and maybe a
fruit dish, I think it will be just Wayne and I this year. Daughter and her
Family are going to the Park to celebrate Easter with her Hispanic Husbands
Family(They always have the whole family...cousins Aunts Uncles etc. We are
invited but it is really getting difficult for me to walk far any more.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> Anyone have plans yet? My mom is making ham. I don't know what all
>> else. I don't eat ham so I am making baked beans. I got the recipe from
>> Colleen who used to post here. They have a touch of molasses and some
>> Splenda but mainly they get their sweetness from tons of caramelized
>> onions. I also add bacon which her recipe did not have. She didn't
>> really have a formal recipe. Just told me what to put in and I do it to
>> taste.
>>
>> I will mainly be eating the baked beans. My parents always have raw
>> veggies and sometimes a lettuce salad as well. And there will be other
>> things that I know I can't eat. I will be buying some flax muffins for
>> Angela to have for dessert. I might also bring some cheeses.

> Yeah, its Jasmine's 15th birthday Party pies, sausage rolls, cocktail
> frankfurts with tomato sauce, fairy bread, lollies, chips and birthday
> cake Normally I would also add in some meats and salads for those who
> want it but Alex had his appendix out a few days ago so I haven't got
> round to getting out of the house much. Its already 3.30 pm Thursday so I
> will do a quick shop for party food and essentials when I go out to refill
> Alex's antibiotic scripts. Probably go out early Saturday before the
> crowds and get birthday cake and fresh bread. Pete, my 20yr old and I,
> just went and collected birthday laybys. A trampoline from K Mart and a
> swing set from a toy shop. Unfortunately Jasmine went out to the carport
> and even though she can't read she saw a pic of the trampoline on the box!
> So we will set that up for her tomorrow. Try and put up the swing set
> Saturday night while she isn't looking She hasn't found the Easter Eggs
> yet, despite spending the morning in my room, where they are. Her room and
> a couple of others were cleaned by a carpet cleaner this morning. What
> I'd really like is Cheri's Lamb recipe

I have given up on trampolines. I have bought several of them for Angela
and they just don't make them like they used to! They are darned hard to
dispose of once they break as well.

We just got two new kitties so that has kept us busy. Mom is a small 2 year
old black cat named Jazzy and her daughter is a 6 month old brown tabby
named Ballerina. They are getting into everything! I don't know how Angela
will be able to dye the eggs without at least the kitten trying to get into
the cups.

I did buy two little baskets for the kitties and each one will have a toy
and some treats. We didn't even have time to put up our decorations this
year. Not that I do a lot of them but we do have some egg shaped lights.
And Angela does have an Easter basket. But I told her this year she can
just use a regular basket that we already have in the house. Her Easter
basket is in the back house along with the grass. I don't dare put the
grass in this year. The kitten would have it all over!

The kitties are the best Easter present we could get but I will still put a
few things in Angela's basket. She no longer believes in the bunny so I
will not be hiding eggs. She did complain that the rabbits she gets each
year do not look realistic because no rabbit is pink or purple. I know I
have gotten her a brown and a white one in past years. Anyway... I found a
realistic one for her this year. Hopefully she will like it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" > wrote in message
m...

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> Anyone have plans yet? My mom is making ham. I don't know what all
>> else. I don't eat ham so I am making baked beans. I got the recipe from
>> Colleen who used to post here. They have a touch of molasses and some
>> Splenda but mainly they get their sweetness from tons of caramelized
>> onions. I also add bacon which her recipe did not have. She didn't
>> really have a formal recipe. Just told me what to put in and I do it to
>> taste.
>>
>> I will mainly be eating the baked beans. My parents always have raw
>> veggies and sometimes a lettuce salad as well. And there will be other
>> things that I know I can't eat. I will be buying some flax muffins for
>> Angela to have for dessert. I might also bring some cheeses.
>>

> We're having Nueski's Old Fashion ham and a couple side dishes and maybe a
> fruit dish, I think it will be just Wayne and I this year. Daughter and
> her Family are going to the Park to celebrate Easter with her Hispanic
> Husbands Family(They always have the whole family...cousins Aunts Uncles
> etc. We are invited but it is really getting difficult for me to walk far
> any more.

I know the feeling. My muscles are still recovering from all the walking I
had to do this past weekend at the dance convention. When we left, I
plopped down on a bench in the parking garage, handed my room key to my
husband and said I literally couldn't walk another step. And that was true.

We had a bellhop bring in our bags. This particular hotel does not allow
you to use the cart and bring your own bags in. And we had far too many to
carry in one trip because I had brought food for the entire weekend.
Thankfully Angela and I were able to buy two meals there or we would have
been living off of hummus, pretzels and green beans. That was pretty much
all that was left of the food except for a few snacks. I didn't dare bring
much that needed to be refrigerated and that was a good thing because we
never did get the fridge. Next time I will be smart and bring a hard sided
cooler. There was an ice machine right outside our door.

Husband refused to get the bellhop when we left. He had me tip him $20 to
bring the bags in. This seemed a bit excessive to me, but I don't know what
the standard rate is. We had fewer bags when we left because we did eat
most of the food but alas we had plenty of soda left. We did drink some in
the room but there was no way to really chill it to take with us when we
left the room.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ozgirl:

This was in the Costco book to cook the lamb. I usually make a boneless leg
of lamb and use Ina Garten's Recipe.

First Recipe

Preheat oven to 500 degrees.

2 tsps minced garlic
1/2 tsp finely chopped rosemary
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
1/2 tsp dry mustard
2 tsp olive oil
3 french racks of Australian lamb

In a small bowl combine garlic, rosemary, salt, pepper and dry mustard. Add
olive oil and stir to make a paste. Coat the top and underside of lamb racks
with the paste.

Heat a cast iron or other non-nonstick pan over high heat. When very hot,
place a lamb rack in the pan, meat side down and sear for 1-2 minutes to
brown. (You may have to press the ends of the rack down with a spatula so
they meet the pans surface.) Flip to sear the underside. Repeat with each
rack, then transfer to roasting pan.

Roast for 20-25 minutes for medium rare. 25-30 for medium. Remove from the
oven and let sit for 10 minutes.
Slice racks between ribs and serve each guest 4 chops with Rosemary Mustard
Cream alongside.

Second Recipe: Ina Garten's Lamb Recipe for leg of lamb (both recipes for
the rub could interchange, pretty much the same)
Ingredients

6 large unpeeled garlic cloves
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 (6-pound) boneless leg of lamb, trimmed and tied

Directions

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Place the oven rack in the lower third of
the oven so the lamb will sit in the middle of the oven.

Peel 6 the cloves of garlic and place them in the bowl of a food processor
fitted with the steel blade. Add the rosemary, 1 tablespoon salt, 1 teaspoon
pepper, and butter. Process until the garlic and rosemary are finely minced.
Thoroughly coat the top and sides of the lamb with the rosemary mixture.
Allow to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes to 1 hour.

Place the lamb on rack in roasting pan and roast for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours,
or until the internal temperature of the lamb is 135 degrees (rare) or 145
degrees (medium). Remove from the oven and put the lamb on a platter; cover
tightly with aluminum foil. Allow the lamb to rest for about 20 minutes.
Slice and serve

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> Yeah, its Jasmine's 15th birthday Party pies, sausage rolls, cocktail
> frankfurts with tomato sauce, fairy bread, lollies, chips and birthday
> cake Normally I would also add in some meats and salads for those who
> want it but Alex had his appendix out a few days ago so I haven't got
> round to getting out of the house much. Its already 3.30 pm Thursday so I
> will do a quick shop for party food and essentials when I go out to refill
> Alex's antibiotic scripts. Probably go out early Saturday before the
> crowds and get birthday cake and fresh bread. Pete, my 20yr old and I,
> just went and collected birthday laybys. A trampoline from K Mart and a
> swing set from a toy shop. Unfortunately Jasmine went out to the

Sounds like Jasmine is going to have a great party!

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Jacquie > wrote:

: >
: >
: We're having Nueski's Old Fashion ham and a couple side dishes and maybe a
: fruit dish, I think it will be just Wayne and I this year. Daughter and her
: Family are going to the Park to celebrate Easter with her Hispanic Husbands
: Family(They always have the whole family...cousins Aunts Uncles etc. We are
: invited but it is really getting difficult for me to walk far any more.
Jacquie,

Good to hear from you. Tell us how things, besaide your walking , are
going.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> Anyone have plans yet?

We began a tradition a few years ago and are continuing it this year:
New England Boiled Dinner, aka corned beef and cabbage.

It's super easy to do, everyone loves it, and if I make it in
sufficiently large quantities both houses can have leftovers. I'm
getting three corned beefs and two big cabbages, five pounds of potatoes
(although I may not use them all), several pounds of carrots, and this
year I'm adding parsnips because I have a lot and the other family
members love them. The carrots, potatoes, and parsnips are organic, but
the cabbages won't be. I can't afford grass-fed corned beef, or at
least not in this kind of quantity.

I'll eat a lot of corned beef and cabbage and sample the rest.

For dessert we're having a carrot cake I bought from a coworker who was
selling stuff to help support his kids' school. It's been in the
freezer at work, and I *have* to remember to take it home! Maybe
tonight? I don't want to thaw it too soon.

PP
- Chris Malcolm
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
: In article >,
: "Julie Bove" > wrote:

[...]

: --
: "What you fail to understand is that criticising established authority by means
: of argument and evidence is a crucial aspect of how science works."
: - Chris Malcolm
Oh YUMMMMM I don't celebrate Easter, but can I come to your house:-)
I just love New England boiled dinner. I like to cook up some beets
separately(don't need red potatoes, cabbage, etc) to add to the plaatter.
Living alone it's hard to find a time to make such food uness am prepared
to eat it for a week which seems a bit excessive.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"W. Baker" > wrote:

> Oh YUMMMMM I don't celebrate Easter, but can I come to your house:-)
> I just love New England boiled dinner. I like to cook up some beets
> separately(don't need red potatoes, cabbage, etc) to add to the plaatter.
> Living alone it's hard to find a time to make such food uness am prepared
> to eat it for a week which seems a bit excessive.

I always make hash afterwards (well, a few days afterwards, until I have
only nubbins left), and I can remember having red flannel hash as a
child. My mother never told me it was beets that gave it the color. I
hated beets, but I've learned to enjoy them as an adult.

I know hash isn't low-carb, but it is SO good.

PP
- Chris Malcolm
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
: In article >,
: "W. Baker" > wrote:

: > Oh YUMMMMM I don't celebrate Easter, but can I come to your house:-)
: > I just love New England boiled dinner. I like to cook up some beets
: > separately(don't need red potatoes, cabbage, etc) to add to the plaatter.
: > Living alone it's hard to find a time to make such food uness am prepared
: > to eat it for a week which seems a bit excessive.

: I always make hash afterwards (well, a few days afterwards, until I have
: only nubbins left), and I can remember having red flannel hash as a
: child. My mother never told me it was beets that gave it the color. I
: hated beets, but I've learned to enjoy them as an adult.

: I know hash isn't low-carb, but it is SO good.

: PP : -- : "What you fail to understand is that criticising established
authority by means : of argument and evidence is a crucial aspect of how
science works." : - Chris Malcolm

I wonder if one could make fauxtato haash with the omnipresent
cauliflower. Or at least part culilower adn part otato.

Wendy-still looking for an invitation:-)
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

They both sound good Cheri, thanks. Speaking of Costco, there is only
one here so far - Melbourne. They are opening one in Sydney soon not far
from where my son lives but no word about one coming to Brisbane as yet.

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> Ozgirl:
>

> This was in the Costco book to cook the lamb. I usually make a
> boneless leg of lamb and use Ina Garten's Recipe.
>

> First Recipe
>
> Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
>
> 2 tsps minced garlic
> 1/2 tsp finely chopped rosemary
> 1/2 tsp salt
> 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
> 1/2 tsp dry mustard
> 2 tsp olive oil
> 3 french racks of Australian lamb
>
> In a small bowl combine garlic, rosemary, salt, pepper and dry
> mustard. Add olive oil and stir to make a paste. Coat the top and
> underside of lamb racks with the paste.
>
> Heat a cast iron or other non-nonstick pan over high heat. When very
> hot, place a lamb rack in the pan, meat side down and sear for 1-2
> minutes to brown. (You may have to press the ends of the rack down
> with a spatula so they meet the pans surface.) Flip to sear the
> underside. Repeat with each rack, then transfer to roasting pan.
>
> Roast for 20-25 minutes for medium rare. 25-30 for medium. Remove from
> the oven and let sit for 10 minutes.
> Slice racks between ribs and serve each guest 4 chops with Rosemary
> Mustard Cream alongside.
>

> Second Recipe: Ina Garten's Lamb Recipe for leg of lamb (both recipes
> for the rub could interchange, pretty much the same)
> Ingredients
>
> 6 large unpeeled garlic cloves
> 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves
> Kosher salt
> Freshly ground black pepper
> 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
> 1 (6-pound) boneless leg of lamb, trimmed and tied
>
> Directions
>
> Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Place the oven rack in the lower
> third of the oven so the lamb will sit in the middle of the oven.
>

> Peel 6 the cloves of garlic and place them in the bowl of a food
> processor fitted with the steel blade. Add the rosemary, 1 tablespoon
> salt, 1 teaspoon pepper, and butter. Process until the garlic and
> rosemary are finely minced. Thoroughly coat the top and sides of the
> lamb with the rosemary mixture. Allow to sit at room temperature for
> 30 minutes to 1 hour.
>
> Place the lamb on rack in roasting pan and roast for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2
> hours, or until the internal temperature of the lamb is 135 degrees
> (rare) or 145 degrees (medium). Remove from the oven and put the lamb
> on a platter; cover tightly with aluminum foil. Allow the lamb to rest
> for about 20 minutes. Slice and serve

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> They both sound good Cheri, thanks. Speaking of Costco, there is only one
> here so far - Melbourne. They are opening one in Sydney soon not far from
> where my son lives but no word about one coming to Brisbane as yet.

I hope you get one! They really save us a lot of money.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

All her favourite foods

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>
>> Yeah, its Jasmine's 15th birthday Party pies, sausage rolls,
>> cocktail frankfurts with tomato sauce, fairy bread, lollies, chips
>> and birthday cake Normally I would also add in some meats and
>> salads for those who want it but Alex had his appendix out a few days
>> ago so I haven't got round to getting out of the house much. Its
>> already 3.30 pm Thursday so I will do a quick shop for party food and
>> essentials when I go out to refill Alex's antibiotic scripts.
>> Probably go out early Saturday before the crowds and get birthday
>> cake and fresh bread. Pete, my 20yr old and I, just went and
>> collected birthday laybys. A trampoline from K Mart and a swing set
>> from a toy shop. Unfortunately Jasmine went out to the

> Sounds like Jasmine is going to have a great party!
>
> Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Last time I made corned beef I roasted it, what a taste sensation! No
one here likes cabbage except me so I tend to not add the cabbage to my
boiled corned beef ;( Just go with the path of least resistance But I
would certainly have parsnips! My all time favourite veggie, mashed or
roasted are the two best ways to have it IMO If you have room, just
put the cake in the freezer when you get home. It won't suffer, even if
it has partly defrosted on the way home.

"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> Anyone have plans yet?

> We began a tradition a few years ago and are continuing it this year:
> New England Boiled Dinner, aka corned beef and cabbage.
>
> It's super easy to do, everyone loves it, and if I make it in
> sufficiently large quantities both houses can have leftovers. I'm
> getting three corned beefs and two big cabbages, five pounds of
> potatoes
> (although I may not use them all), several pounds of carrots, and this
> year I'm adding parsnips because I have a lot and the other family
> members love them. The carrots, potatoes, and parsnips are organic,
> but
> the cabbages won't be. I can't afford grass-fed corned beef, or at
> least not in this kind of quantity.
>
> I'll eat a lot of corned beef and cabbage and sample the rest.
>
> For dessert we're having a carrot cake I bought from a coworker who
> was
> selling stuff to help support his kids' school. It's been in the
> freezer at work, and I *have* to remember to take it home! Maybe
> tonight? I don't want to thaw it too soon.
>
> PP
> --
> "What you fail to understand is that criticising established authority
> by means
> of argument and evidence is a crucial aspect of how science works."
> - Chris
> Malcolm

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Wow, just looked red flannel hash up, it looks super! When I was a child
leftover corned beef was chopped up and put in fritter batter. Ditto
lamb (lamb is never leftover in my house now though). I liked tomato
sauce on my fritters (ketchup) I wish I had bought some corned meat
now, lol.

"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "W. Baker" > wrote:
>
>> Oh YUMMMMM I don't celebrate Easter, but can I come to your house:-)
>> I just love New England boiled dinner. I like to cook up some beets
>> separately(don't need red potatoes, cabbage, etc) to add to the
>> plaatter.
>> Living alone it's hard to find a time to make such food uness am
>> prepared
>> to eat it for a week which seems a bit excessive.

> I always make hash afterwards (well, a few days afterwards, until I
> have
> only nubbins left), and I can remember having red flannel hash as a
> child. My mother never told me it was beets that gave it the color.
> hated beets, but I've learned to enjoy them as an adult.
>
> I know hash isn't low-carb, but it is SO good.
>
> PP
> --
> "What you fail to understand is that criticising established authority
> by means
> of argument and evidence is a crucial aspect of how science works."
> - Chris
> Malcolm

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

A hash could have anything in it. How does sweet potato affect you?

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
> : In article >,
> : "W. Baker" > wrote:
>
> : > Oh YUMMMMM I don't celebrate Easter, but can I come to your
> house:-)
> : > I just love New England boiled dinner. I like to cook up some
> beets
> : > separately(don't need red potatoes, cabbage, etc) to add to the
> plaatter.
> : > Living alone it's hard to find a time to make such food uness am
> prepared
> : > to eat it for a week which seems a bit excessive.
>
> : I always make hash afterwards (well, a few days afterwards, until I
> have
> : only nubbins left), and I can remember having red flannel hash as a
> : child. My mother never told me it was beets that gave it the color.
> : hated beets, but I've learned to enjoy them as an adult.
>
> : I know hash isn't low-carb, but it is SO good.
>
> : PP : -- : "What you fail to understand is that criticising
> established
> authority by means : of argument and evidence is a crucial aspect of
> how
> science works." : - Chris Malcolm
>
> I wonder if one could make fauxtato haash with the omnipresent
> cauliflower. Or at least part culilower adn part otato.
>
> Wendy-still looking for an invitation:-)

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ozgirl wrote:
> Last time I made corned beef I roasted it, what a taste sensation! No
> one here likes cabbage except me so I tend to not add the cabbage to
> my boiled corned beef ;( Just go with the path of least resistance
> But I would certainly have parsnips! My all time favourite veggie,
> mashed or roasted are the two best ways to have it IMO If you
> have room, just put the cake in the freezer when you get home. It
> won't suffer, even if it has partly defrosted on the way home.

I only ever had parsnips once. My mom never made them when I was a child.
I added them to a beef stew. I did not like them one bit but perhaps I was
expecting them to taste more like a carrot. And they really spiked me. So
I guess it's just as well.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ozgirl wrote:
> Wow, just looked red flannel hash up, it looks super! When I was a
> child leftover corned beef was chopped up and put in fritter batter.
> Ditto lamb (lamb is never leftover in my house now though). I liked
> tomato sauce on my fritters (ketchup) I wish I had bought some
> corned meat now, lol.

My mom used to buy canned hash which I didn't like one bit. Oddly my
husband loves the stuff.

She would make hash with leftover roast beef and potatoes. I don't think
she added anything else to it. Maybe some salt.

I tried this once and it didn't come out anything like hers. It was just
bad and nobody would eat it. I don't know what I did wrong. I got a recipe
from the Internet. I believe it just had chopped cooked roast beef and
chopped potatoes. Perhaps there was an onion. I don't remember.

I actually had to hide the roast beef to make the hash. There is no amount
of beef I can make that will be enough. I usually use two crockpots when I
make it. I put three or four pounds of beef in one along with some onion.
In the other I put more onion, carrots, potatoes and sometimes some celery ,
mushrooms and peppers as well. Usually I will put a little beef broth in
there for flavor. But if I use the peppers and mushrooms I will put a
little tomato sauce on both the meat and veg.

After we have dinner, I put the meat and veg together in a big dish in the
fridge. In a very short amount of time, the meat will just disappear.
Nobody seems to touch the veg though. I have yet to catch anyone eating it
but I think it is my husband because Angela isn't overly fond of beef.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 22/04/2011 10:18 AM, Ozgirl wrote:
> Last time I made corned beef I roasted it, what a taste sensation! No
> one here likes cabbage except me so I tend to not add the cabbage to my
> boiled corned beef ;( Just go with the path of least resistance But I
> would certainly have parsnips! My all time favourite veggie, mashed or
> roasted are the two best ways to have it IMO If you have room, just
> put the cake in the freezer when you get home. It won't suffer, even if
> it has partly defrosted on the way home.

Never tried parsnips or turnips but now I'm shopping online I ordered
one of each next time, avoids the embarrassment of taking one through
the checkout :-) Tried some fresh figs last time, not something I have
seen often, I prefer the dried ones over the fresh, more flavour.

(- -)
=m=(_)=m=
RodS T2
Australia
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"RodS" > wrote in message
> On 22/04/2011 10:18 AM, Ozgirl wrote:
>> Last time I made corned beef I roasted it, what a taste sensation! No
>> one here likes cabbage except me so I tend to not add the cabbage to
>> my
>> boiled corned beef ;( Just go with the path of least resistance
>> But I
>> would certainly have parsnips! My all time favourite veggie, mashed
>> or
>> roasted are the two best ways to have it IMO If you have room,
>> just
>> put the cake in the freezer when you get home. It won't suffer, even
>> if
>> it has partly defrosted on the way home.
>>

> Never tried parsnips or turnips but now I'm shopping online I ordered
> one of each next time, avoids the embarrassment of taking one through
> the checkout :-) Tried some fresh figs last time, not something I have
> seen often, I prefer the dried ones over the fresh, more flavour.

I have no problem buying one of something, if I only want one I only
want one! I only ever use turnips in soup, I don't like them any
other way.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

did other kitty go to the rainbow bridge? don't mean to be sensitive, but i
am thinking i don't remember this, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> [...]

> and some treats. We didn't even have time to put up our decorations this
> year. Not that I do a lot of them but we do have some egg shaped lights.
> And Angela does have an Easter basket. But I told her this year she can
> just use a regular basket that we already have in the house. Her Easter
> basket is in the back house along with the grass. I don't dare put the
> grass in this year. The kitten would have it all over!
>
> The kitties are the best Easter present we could get but I will still put
> a few things in Angela's basket. She no longer believes in the bunny so I
> will not be hiding eggs. She did complain that the rabbits she gets each
> year do not look realistic because no rabbit is pink or purple. I know I
> have gotten her a brown and a white one in past years. Anyway... I found
> a realistic one for her this year. Hopefully she will like it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

and even when the price is not the best the quality usually is, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>> They both sound good Cheri, thanks. Speaking of Costco, there is only
>> one here so far - Melbourne. They are opening one in Sydney soon not far
>> from where my son lives but no word about one coming to Brisbane as yet.

> I hope you get one! They really save us a lot of money.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

man does this sound good to me, Lee
"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> Anyone have plans yet?

> We began a tradition a few years ago and are continuing it this year:
> New England Boiled Dinner, aka corned beef and cabbage.
>
> It's super easy to do, everyone loves it, and if I make it in
> sufficiently large quantities both houses can have leftovers. I'm
> getting three corned beefs and two big cabbages, five pounds of potatoes
> (although I may not use them all), several pounds of carrots, and this
> year I'm adding parsnips because I have a lot and the other family
> members love them. The carrots, potatoes, and parsnips are organic, but
> the cabbages won't be. I can't afford grass-fed corned beef, or at
> least not in this kind of quantity.
>
> I'll eat a lot of corned beef and cabbage and sample the rest.
>
> For dessert we're having a carrot cake I bought from a coworker who was
> selling stuff to help support his kids' school. It's been in the
> freezer at work, and I *have* to remember to take it home! Maybe
> tonight? I don't want to thaw it too soon.
>
> PP
> --
> "What you fail to understand is that criticising established authority by
> means
> of argument and evidence is a crucial aspect of how science works."
> - Chris
> Malcolm

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

or the parsnips? aren't they less than potatoes? Lee, too early to look
anything up,
"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
> : In article >,
> : "W. Baker" > wrote:
>
> : > Oh YUMMMMM I don't celebrate Easter, but can I come to your house:-)
> : > I just love New England boiled dinner. I like to cook up some beets
> : > separately(don't need red potatoes, cabbage, etc) to add to the
> plaatter.
> : > Living alone it's hard to find a time to make such food uness am
> prepared
> : > to eat it for a week which seems a bit excessive.
>
> : I always make hash afterwards (well, a few days afterwards, until I have
> : only nubbins left), and I can remember having red flannel hash as a
> : child. My mother never told me it was beets that gave it the color. I
> : hated beets, but I've learned to enjoy them as an adult.
>
> : I know hash isn't low-carb, but it is SO good.
>
> : PP : -- : "What you fail to understand is that criticising established
> authority by means : of argument and evidence is a crucial aspect of how
> science works." : - Chris Malcolm
>
> I wonder if one could make fauxtato haash with the omnipresent
> cauliflower. Or at least part culilower adn part otato.
>
> Wendy-still looking for an invitation:-)

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "RodS" > wrote in message ...
>> On 22/04/2011 10:18 AM, Ozgirl wrote:
>>> Last time I made corned beef I roasted it, what a taste sensation! No
>>> one here likes cabbage except me so I tend to not add the cabbage to my
>>> boiled corned beef ;( Just go with the path of least resistance But I
>>> would certainly have parsnips! My all time favourite veggie, mashed or
>>> roasted are the two best ways to have it IMO If you have room, just
>>> put the cake in the freezer when you get home. It won't suffer, even if
>>> it has partly defrosted on the way home.
>>>

>> Never tried parsnips or turnips but now I'm shopping online I ordered one
>> of each next time, avoids the embarrassment of taking one through the
>> checkout :-) Tried some fresh figs last time, not something I have seen
>> often, I prefer the dried ones over the fresh, more flavour.

> I have no problem buying one of something, if I only want one I only want
> one! I only ever use turnips in soup, I don't like them any other way.

I buy *one* all the time, baking potato, yam (for dh) etc.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Storrmmee wrote:
> did other kitty go to the rainbow bridge? don't mean to be sensitive,
> but i am thinking i don't remember this, Lee

Yes, she died maybe 3 or 4 weeks ago. I don't remember the exact date.
Kidney failure. We knew it was only a matter of time. The bad thing is,
just days prior I spent over $1,000 to have a growth removed from her eye.
Had I known the end was so near I think I would have just left it. She died
with a blue stitch in the eye. I only hope that perhaps having it removed
made her feel a bit better. But maybe not because she was on pain meds for
the eye.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Storrmmee wrote:
> and even when the price is not the best the quality usually is, Lee

Yes! They have excellent meats and cheeses. I did have trouble for a while
with the baby carrots. They would go slimy long before they expired. I
have since learned that this means they were left out of refrigeration at
some point. I don't know if that was the store's fault or mine because
Costco is in a different city. Now I always put them in a cooler.

I also will not buy the bananas because of fruit flies. Or the onions and
potatoes. The last two bags of onions I bought had many rotten ones in
them. And the potatoes always seem to sprout and/or go bad before we can
use them. Perhaps thought that is the fault of the enormous bag. I now
only buy potatoes in small quantities and only when we need them. My
current favorites are about the size of pearl onions. They come in a little
bag. You can get yellow, red, or a mix of those and the blue. I just don't
like the blue ones. Not sure why. They taste fine. The color is just
off-putting to me. One bag is enough for two meals for us. Or I will buy
the cheap baking potatoes.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:

: I also will not buy the bananas because of fruit flies. Or the onions and
: potatoes. The last two bags of onions I bought had many rotten ones in
: them. And the potatoes always seem to sprout and/or go bad before we can
: use them. Perhaps thought that is the fault of the enormous bag. I now
: only buy potatoes in small quantities and only when we need them. My

I used to get a bushel of onions and one of "keeper" potatoes and store
them in my unheated cellar(that never froze) at my country house. I would
bring a bag of each to the city each time we went up. I would keep the
onions in the veg crisper in teh fridga in the city and had no problems.
Of course, came the warmer spring weather upstate, the onions would start
to grow and the potatoes would begin to look lik giant spiders:-). I
never refrigerated the potatoes, as they would then develop green areas
adn becom euseless.

If you have an unheated garage or cellar, try keeping them there, rather
than in the warm house in the winter.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
> : I also will not buy the bananas because of fruit flies. Or the onions
> and
> : potatoes. The last two bags of onions I bought had many rotten ones in
> : them. And the potatoes always seem to sprout and/or go bad before we
> can
> : use them. Perhaps thought that is the fault of the enormous bag. I now
> : only buy potatoes in small quantities and only when we need them. My
>
> I used to get a bushel of onions and one of "keeper" potatoes and store
> them in my unheated cellar(that never froze) at my country house. I would
> bring a bag of each to the city each time we went up. I would keep the
> onions in the veg crisper in teh fridga in the city and had no problems.
> Of course, came the warmer spring weather upstate, the onions would start
> to grow and the potatoes would begin to look lik giant spiders:-). I
> never refrigerated the potatoes, as they would then develop green areas
> adn becom euseless.
>
> If you have an unheated garage or cellar, try keeping them there, rather
> than in the warm house in the winter.

I used to keep both potatoes and onions in the fridge. Then we began using
quite a lot of them so no need. I guess we are eating fewer potatoes these
days. Angela's favorite is instant mashed made with water, salt, lots of
pepper and Nucoa margarine.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

the pain meds might have made her more comfortable overall, I am very sorry,

Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> Storrmmee wrote:
>> did other kitty go to the rainbow bridge? don't mean to be sensitive,
>> but i am thinking i don't remember this, Lee

> Yes, she died maybe 3 or 4 weeks ago. I don't remember the exact date.
> Kidney failure. We knew it was only a matter of time. The bad thing is,
> just days prior I spent over $1,000 to have a growth removed from her eye.
> Had I known the end was so near I think I would have just left it. She
> died with a blue stitch in the eye. I only hope that perhaps having it
> removed made her feel a bit better. But maybe not because she was on pain
> meds for the eye.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

when i could see i was off put byy any food that was blue except berries,
but even drinks bothered me, i don't often buy potatoes anymore as dh
would prefer psta and i eat many fewer than in years past, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> Storrmmee wrote:
>> and even when the price is not the best the quality usually is, Lee

> Yes! They have excellent meats and cheeses. I did have trouble for a
> while with the baby carrots. They would go slimy long before they
> expired. I have since learned that this means they were left out of
> refrigeration at some point. I don't know if that was the store's fault
> or mine because Costco is in a different city. Now I always put them in a
> cooler.
>
> I also will not buy the bananas because of fruit flies. Or the onions and
> potatoes. The last two bags of onions I bought had many rotten ones in
> them. And the potatoes always seem to sprout and/or go bad before we can
> use them. Perhaps thought that is the fault of the enormous bag. I now
> only buy potatoes in small quantities and only when we need them. My
> current favorites are about the size of pearl onions. They come in a
> little bag. You can get yellow, red, or a mix of those and the blue. I
> just don't like the blue ones. Not sure why. They taste fine. The color
> is just off-putting to me. One bag is enough for two meals for us. Or I
> will buy the cheap baking potatoes.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> the pain meds might have made her more comfortable overall, I am very
> sorry,

Well that could be too. She was close to being 18 so it would have been her
time regardless I think.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> when i could see i was off put byy any food that was blue except berries,
> but even drinks bothered me, i don't often buy potatoes anymore as dh
> would prefer psta and i eat many fewer than in years past, Lee

Blueberries give me nightmares. I don't know where my mom came up with this
idea but for a long period of time she would serve us blueberries straight
from the freezer in custard cups for dessert.

Although I am not a fruit lover, I do like most berries but not blueberries.
They are just sickly sweet to me and I can not tolerate them except perhaps
finely chopped and mixed with other berries in Jell-O which is what I did
when I was pregnant as a way to up my nutrition. The dietician said I had
to eat 5 servings of fruit every day or Angela would suffer. Well, I
didn't. Was lucky to get one serving per day and Angela came out just fine.

I also do not like frozen foods as served in the frozen state. Once in a
while if it is super hot and I am outside I might have a craving for a
frozen lemonade or a snow cone provided it isn't super sweet. But usually I
don't even like Popsicles and I never liked ice cream. Those frozen
blueberries were just torture and she insisted we eat them.

For some reason they really stained her teeth. They didn't seem to do that
to anyone else's, but they turned her teeth an awful shade. So she would
grin at me with those purple teeth and then insist we go for a walk. Often
it was a walk to the store where we would probably buy bubblegum. The
sugary kind. Both of my parents used to insist that it didn't cause
cavities. Oddly my cavities pretty much stopped when I put my foot down and
refused to chew gum with sugar in it. But I digress... I was always
mortified that we would run into someone we knew while my mom had the purple
teeth. And I could never get her to brush them before we left.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Hi Wendy, Things are going good They put me on Actos and it seems to be
helping my numbers, but am having some ankle swelling, probably will be put
on a diuretic when I go see the Dr.
My son ,who is stationed in NC, came for a visit and brought his little
girl,Hayleigh, that they adopted a couple of years ago, we have never met
her...what a joy, we hated seeing them leave My Son and his wife are in
the process of adopting Hayleighs, 17 month old sister. They hear the Mother
finally decided to have her tubes tied. This was her fifth baby she had to
give up. She is hooked on Cocaine........all of he babies but the last one
didn't have any drugs in their system when born, but little Maddie had coke
in her blood, she tolerated it ok and had no after affects. We're hoping to
see her soon too...Life is good. I can't believe my Grandson will 16 next
month...I can't be that old...LOL.
How are things going for you?
Jacquie

"W. Baker" > wrote in message

> Jacquie > wrote:
>
> : >
> : >
> : We're having Nueski's Old Fashion ham and a couple side dishes and maybe
> : fruit dish, I think it will be just Wayne and I this year. Daughter and
> her
> : Family are going to the Park to celebrate Easter with her Hispanic
> Husbands
> : Family(They always have the whole family...cousins Aunts Uncles etc. We
> are
> : invited but it is really getting difficult for me to walk far any more.
> Jacquie,
>
> Good to hear from you. Tell us how things, besaide your walking , are
> going.
>
> Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> Ozgirl wrote:
>> Wow, just looked red flannel hash up, it looks super! When I was a
>> child leftover corned beef was chopped up and put in fritter batter.
>> Ditto lamb (lamb is never leftover in my house now though). I liked
>> tomato sauce on my fritters (ketchup) I wish I had bought some
>> corned meat now, lol.

> My mom used to buy canned hash which I didn't like one bit. Oddly my
> husband loves the stuff.
>
> She would make hash with leftover roast beef and potatoes. I don't think
> she added anything else to it. Maybe some salt.
>
> I tried this once and it didn't come out anything like hers. It was just
> bad and nobody would eat it. I don't know what I did wrong. I got a
> recipe from the Internet. I believe it just had chopped cooked roast beef
> and chopped potatoes. Perhaps there was an onion. I don't remember.
>
> I actually had to hide the roast beef to make the hash. There is no
> amount of beef I can make that will be enough. I usually use two
> crockpots when I make it. I put three or four pounds of beef in one along
> with some onion. In the other I put more onion, carrots, potatoes and
> sometimes some celery , mushrooms and peppers as well. Usually I will put
> a little beef broth in there for flavor. But if I use the peppers and
> mushrooms I will put a little tomato sauce on both the meat and veg.
>
> After we have dinner, I put the meat and veg together in a big dish in the
> fridge. In a very short amount of time, the meat will just disappear.
> Nobody seems to touch the veg though. I have yet to catch anyone eating
> it but I think it is my husband because Angela isn't overly fond of beef.

I used to make a roast beef Hash with left over beef, onion,potato,and
carrots......my family loved it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "RodS" > wrote in message ...
>> On 22/04/2011 10:18 AM, Ozgirl wrote:
>>> Last time I made corned beef I roasted it, what a taste sensation! No
>>> one here likes cabbage except me so I tend to not add the cabbage to my
>>> boiled corned beef ;( Just go with the path of least resistance But I
>>> would certainly have parsnips! My all time favourite veggie, mashed or
>>> roasted are the two best ways to have it IMO If you have room, just
>>> put the cake in the freezer when you get home. It won't suffer, even if
>>> it has partly defrosted on the way home.
>>>

>> Never tried parsnips or turnips but now I'm shopping online I ordered one
>> of each next time, avoids the embarrassment of taking one through the
>> checkout :-) Tried some fresh figs last time, not something I have seen
>> often, I prefer the dried ones over the fresh, more flavour.

> I have no problem buying one of something, if I only want one I only want
> one! I only ever use turnips in soup, I don't like them any other way.

My Dad's parents lived in Arkansas and call the turnip(purple/white) the
Arkansas Apple...they would peel them and eat them raw. I like turnips fried
in butter...also chopped turnips with bacon and onion are pretty tasty too
I put them in my veggie soup, also add them to my butter bean soup.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Jacquie wrote:
> Hi Wendy, Things are going good They put me on Actos and it seems
> to be helping my numbers, but am having some ankle swelling, probably
> will be put on a diuretic when I go see the Dr.
> My son ,who is stationed in NC, came for a visit and brought his
> little girl,Hayleigh, that they adopted a couple of years ago, we
> have never met her...what a joy, we hated seeing them leave My Son
> and his wife are in the process of adopting Hayleighs, 17 month old
> sister. They hear the Mother finally decided to have her tubes tied.
> This was her fifth baby she had to give up. She is hooked on
> Cocaine........all of he babies but the last one didn't have any
> drugs in their system when born, but little Maddie had coke in her
> blood, she tolerated it ok and had no after affects. We're hoping to
> see her soon too...Life is good. I can't believe my Grandson will 16
> next month...I can't be that old...LOL. How are things going for you?

Ooooh! Look into that right away. Actos can cause congestive heart failure
and swollen ankles are a symptom.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Jacquie wrote:
> I used to make a roast beef Hash with left over beef, onion,potato,and
> carrots......my family loved it.

Well I don't know what I did wrong. Mine just tasted bad.

Easter dinner Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 4 01-04-2012 05:23 AM
Easter Dinner gloria.p General Cooking 33 09-04-2010 12:12 AM
Easter Dinner was... merryb General Cooking 14 26-03-2008 03:38 PM
Easter Dinner John Gaughan General Cooking 47 24-04-2004 07:01 PM