Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Butter on green beans?

Tiger Lily > wrote:
: On 4/16/2011 5:28 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
: >
: > "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
: > ...
: >> On 4/16/2011 5:31 AM, Evelyn wrote:
: >>> On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 23:31:14 -0600, Tiger > wrote:
: >>>
: >>>> On 4/15/2011 2:29 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
: >>>>> > wrote in message
: >>>>> ...
: >>>>>> man when my mom cooked we ate it or did without, we all had different
: >>>>>> allergies, and with four of us she really worked at making food we
: >>>>>> could
: >>>>>> all eat as a family, once and only once did i snarl my nose at
: >>>>>> something ,
: >>>>>> my dad made me eat what seemed like a ton of black eyed peas, he
: >>>>>> said, "if
: >>>>>> your mother cooked it... the least you can do is pass it without
: >>>>>> comment,
: >>>>>> you are not allowed to disrespect her efforts for any reason..."
: >>>>>> after
: >>>>>> that if i had to hold my breath to get something passed me i
: >>>>>> did... he was
: >>>>>> not in the habit of making us take food we didn't want to eat,
: >>>>>>
: >>>>> I do not think it is proper to make a kid eat something with
: >>>>> alcohol, if the
: >>>>> kid refuses it.
: >>>>
: >>>> Julie, you know when you cook with alcohol, you ONLY get the flavour?
: >>>> the alcohol 'burns off' in the simmering?
: >>>
: >>>
: >>> I explained that to her.
: >>>
: >>> She allows Angela to tell her how to cook and what to put in it. It's
: >>> her child, her deal. She can do what she wants.
: >>>
: >>> Evelyn
: >>
: >> lol
: >>
: >> teenlet doesn't even know when a splash of sherry goes into the
: >> stroganoff
: >>
: >
: > Mine don't even know what I put in a meal unless they visually see
: > something they don't like. My 20 year old for example picks out bits of
: > mushroom, capsicum and onion. Sometimes I put dried onion in things and
: > he doesn't complain, so its not the taste I guess but the texture, dunno
: > - lol. He accused me of putting onion in his salad the other day but it
: > was purple cabbage.... I find if the kids leave stuff on their plates
: > they are into cereal an hour later.

: years ago the pediatrician told me to 'blenderize to liquid' all
: 'offensive material' like she did with her husband

: they don't 'see' it, they don't complain

: i think it's a texture, not a taste issue

: kate

My younger son, who as the fussier of my 2 basically non-fussy eater sons
disliked cooked green peppersin food, also fennel seeds in a fish soup I
made. he told me he wouldn'tt mind if he didn't see the green peppers so
I woul dpuree them. As to the fennel seeds, I woudl put them into a metal
teaball in the soup so we had the flaor without the seeds. that was OK
with him. I gues sight and texture were his issues.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"TaniO" wrote in message
thlink.net...

On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 21:12:41 -0400, Boomer wrote
(in article >):

I have been taking 900 mg per day of RALA now for about 2 months. A
> little while ago I think it finally kicked in. It is lowering my BG a lot
> better than metformin ever did. I have to take this medication with food
> or
> I get terrible acid reflux. That means I cannot go by a clock. I remember
> you recommended this drug as an idea for me to try. I did and the acid
> reflux made me stop. I decided to give it another go by taking it with
> food.
> That works.

Michael, a while ago I think that I suggested that you try the brand of ALA
that Susan had recommended to me. I had stopped taking the ALA because of
the heartburn. Her suggestion was to try the Jarrow Sustain ALA. It works
very well and I have never had any discomfort with it. It's been a lifesaver
for me

TaniO

Yes, it appears that I have finally found something that allows me a little
slack with my BG levels. I went with the RALA after reading some studies.

It makes sense that time release ALA would be less likely to cause
heartburn. Maybe there will be time release RALA out soon.

Michael

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> "Cheri" > wrote in message
>> > The point being, the kid doesn't have to eat it, but isn't allowed to
>> > do
>> > the "ewwwwwwwwwww, that's awful, yuk"...thing. A little bit of that
>> > definitely goes a long way, and might even result in a tweaked ear if
>> > the
>> > kid was mine. :-)

>> I think it runs in the family. Both of my parents are still that way
>> about
>> foods they don't like. So it doesn't bother me at all.

> It's bad manners. One may become accustomed to it, and even follow the
> example and do it oneself, but it's still bad manners.

Oh well.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 17:54:52 -0400, Peppermint Patootie
> > wrote:
>
>>In article >,

>>> I think it runs in the family. Both of my parents are still that way
>>> about
>>> foods they don't like. So it doesn't bother me at all.

>>It's bad manners. One may become accustomed to it, and even follow the
>>example and do it oneself, but it's still bad manners.
>>
>>PP

> Yes it is. I particulary hate it when something I love and enjoy is
> given the "eww" treatment by someone else. They should simply
> remain silent if they don't like something, but not call it
> "disgusting" and such. Say you don't care for it, but not to make
> the other person look like a jerk for liking something you think is
> "disgusting".

But you yourself said you don't like celery!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 4/15/2011 2:29 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>>> man when my mom cooked we ate it or did without, we all had different
>>> allergies, and with four of us she really worked at making food we could
>>> all eat as a family, once and only once did i snarl my nose at something
>>> ,
>>> my dad made me eat what seemed like a ton of black eyed peas, he said,
>>> "if
>>> your mother cooked it... the least you can do is pass it without
>>> comment,
>>> you are not allowed to disrespect her efforts for any reason..." after
>>> that if i had to hold my breath to get something passed me i did... he
>>> was
>>> not in the habit of making us take food we didn't want to eat,
>>>

>> I do not think it is proper to make a kid eat something with alcohol, if
>> the
>> kid refuses it.

> Julie, you know when you cook with alcohol, you ONLY get the flavour? the
> alcohol 'burns off' in the simmering?

It doesn't all burn off. And if a kid says they don't want alcohol, I'm
certainly not going to give it to them!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message
news
> On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 10:39:13 -0600, Tiger Lily > wrote:

>>> I explained that to her.
>>>
>>> She allows Angela to tell her how to cook and what to put in it. It's
>>> her child, her deal. She can do what she wants.
>>>
>>> Evelyn

>>lol
>>
>>teenlet doesn't even know when a splash of sherry goes into the stroganoff
>>
>>i do it for the flavour, and he likes it, and now that he's older, he's
>>more willing to 'experiment' with different foods KNOWINGLY this time
>>round
>>
>>tee hee
>>
>>kate

> When I had my kids at home (they are all grown up now) I would make
> stuff, put it on the table, and never discuss each and every
> ingredient with them for approval or disapproval. They either ate it
> or they didn't. If they didn't like it, I didn't make it again, or
> else made some other contingency plan when I did.
>
> I never felt it was right to force them, or to make a big deal out of
> it either. The less of a big deal about it, the more open minded
> they were. Fortunately they all eat everything now that they are
> adults, with the exception of my daughter who has always hated
> mushrooms.
>
> Anyone is entitled to an honest dislike or two. As for me, I
> absolutely cannot stand little green lima beans. I dislike them
> intensely. The big limagrands, the dried ones that make a wonderful
> soup are different. Those I enjoy.
>
> For the most part I eat everything... and that JUST may be my worst
> problem :-)

I love all lima beans but nobody else in the family will eat them. I'm not
sure how I discovered that I like them. Perhaps I had them in a restaurant
or something. We did have them occasionally when I was growing up but only
because I picked them out at the grocery store and chose them for dinner.
My brother and I alternated days and got to pick the vegetable. The only
one he would eat was corn. I find I don't really mind that cooked to death
canned corn. But I don't like the really sweet stuff that has sugar in it.
I don't really like frozen corn and I can't stand corn on the cob because it
sticks in my teeth. If I do get it on the cob, I have to cut it off. And I
learned when I went on that raw vegan diet that I really prefer my corn raw.
That tastes soooo good to me! Angela prefers it raw too, but she will eat
it straight from the cob. Alas nobody else in my family liked it raw at
all. In fact I got screamed at for serving them a raw corn salad as though
they thought they were all going to die from taking a bite.

As a kid, vegetables were always my favorite food. However I did have a
problem in choosing the one for the meal because I always wanted more than
one. My mom always had salad or raw veggies on the table so that counted as
one. We almost always had a canned vegetable to go along with it. Unless I
had something growing in the garden that we could eat. I always loved peas
so I grew quite a lot of them, but with our short growing season it seemed
they would all be ready and used up within a period of two weeks.

I keep meaning to look for small cans of lima beans. They used to make
them. Maybe they still do. Once in a while I try to serve them to Angela
and my husband but neither one will eat them in any way shape or form.

The only way I won't eat them is the way they seem to be made in PA. They
are cooked in a very sweet tomato sauce and for a long period of time like
you would baked beans. That just doesn't work for me, even though I love
baked beans!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> Mine don't even know what I put in a meal unless they visually see
> something they don't like. My 20 year old for example picks out bits of
> mushroom, capsicum and onion. Sometimes I put dried onion in things and he
> doesn't complain, so its not the taste I guess but the texture, dunno -
> lol. He accused me of putting onion in his salad the other day but it was
> purple cabbage.... I find if the kids leave stuff on their plates they
> are into cereal an hour later.

The only onion my mom ever had in the house was dried onion.

When I had a garden I always planted onions around the edges because I had
read somewhere they would keep the bugs away. They didn't. I always threw
the onions out because seriously I didn't realize they could be eaten!
Sounds stupid now that I think about it but I had never seen my mom cut up
an onion.

I don't remember when I discovered that you could actually eat onions, but I
know by the time I had my first apartment I knew. I grew them in my little
back yard and I did eat them. I put them in pretty much any savory dish I
made and I love them!

I know now that my mom has an extreme dislike for onions. So perhaps this
is why she never had them in the house. She came from a farm so she had to
have known they could be eaten.

Anyway... People used to always tell me that kids wouldn't eat onions and
if I had kids, I should use onion powder instead. This was something I was
unfamiliar with but I soon learned after I was married that if I were to
cook for my FIL I had to use that and not the onions he grew in his garden.
I am not sure why he grew them and there were tons! I sometimes helped him
harvest them for drying. He gave them to my MIL but then he would get mad
at her if she put them in any food that was meant for him. It was a texture
thing with him. He didn't object to the flavor at all.

I fed Angela onions pretty much from the time she was eating solids. She
never objected to them and wouldn't have at all except that people would be
very vocal about the onions around her to the point where I think it made
her think she didn't like them. Now if she sees a big piece of onion, she
does object. I try to cut them up finely if I am cooking for her. And she
will willingly eat green onions. She does like those.

I think part of my problem with her is because of how my dad acts around
food. If it is something unfamiliar to him, he will make a face and poke
through it with his fork, asking what is in it. If there is something he
has never heard of before, most of the time he won't eat it. It could be so
much as a seasoning he hasn't heard of before. That's all it takes.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 20:01:37 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Evelyn" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 17:54:52 -0400, Peppermint Patootie
>> > wrote:

>>>It's bad manners. One may become accustomed to it, and even follow the
>>>example and do it oneself, but it's still bad manners.
>>>
>>>PP

>> Yes it is. I particulary hate it when something I love and enjoy is
>> given the "eww" treatment by someone else. They should simply
>> remain silent if they don't like something, but not call it
>> "disgusting" and such. Say you don't care for it, but not to make
>> the other person look like a jerk for liking something you think is
>> "disgusting".

>But you yourself said you don't like celery!

No, that wasn't me. I only dislike lima beans. I love celery!

:-)

Ev
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 20:01:37 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Evelyn" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 17:54:52 -0400, Peppermint Patootie

>>> Yes it is. I particulary hate it when something I love and enjoy is
>>> given the "eww" treatment by someone else. They should simply
>>> remain silent if they don't like something, but not call it
>>> "disgusting" and such. Say you don't care for it, but not to make
>>> the other person look like a jerk for liking something you think is
>>> "disgusting".

>>But you yourself said you don't like celery!
>>

> No, that wasn't me. I only dislike lima beans. I love celery!
>
> :-)

Hmmm... Sorry. I wonder who that was then!?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Evelyn" > wrote in message
>> On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 20:01:37 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

>>>But you yourself said you don't like celery!
>>>

>> No, that wasn't me. I only dislike lima beans. I love celery!
>>
>> :-)

> Hmmm... Sorry. I wonder who that was then!?

I don't think anyone is talking about someone saying they don't like
something, but rather if someone posted a recipe for a "celery" casserole or
something, and another person jumps in and says...OMIGOD that sounds just
horrible, it gags me to think of it, and ewwww...that's what we're talking
about here. Fine to say I don't really care for celery without all the
dramatics. JMO

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 4/17/2011 9:02 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> I do not think it is proper to make a kid eat something with alcohol, if
>>> the
>>> kid refuses it.

>> Julie, you know when you cook with alcohol, you ONLY get the flavour? the
>> alcohol 'burns off' in the simmering?

> It doesn't all burn off. And if a kid says they don't want alcohol, I'm
> certainly not going to give it to them!

http://www.fabulousfoods.com/recipes/article/213/18679

Author Notes
The consistency of this soup is smooth and velvety. The beer and the
sherry add much to the aroma and flavor. Don't fret about the kids, the
alcohol actually cooks out of the soup.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message
>> Hmmm... Sorry. I wonder who that was then!?

> I don't think anyone is talking about someone saying they don't like
> something, but rather if someone posted a recipe for a "celery" casserole
> or something, and another person jumps in and says...OMIGOD that sounds
> just horrible, it gags me to think of it, and ewwww...that's what we're
> talking about here. Fine to say I don't really care for celery without all
> the dramatics. JMO

I posted about using celery for something some time ago and someone did go
on and on about how horrible it was.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:

: "Cheri" > wrote in message
: ...
: >> Hmmm... Sorry. I wonder who that was then!?
: >
: > I don't think anyone is talking about someone saying they don't like
: > something, but rather if someone posted a recipe for a "celery" casserole
: > or something, and another person jumps in and says...OMIGOD that sounds
: > just horrible, it gags me to think of it, and ewwww...that's what we're
: > talking about here. Fine to say I don't really care for celery without all
: > the dramatics. JMO

: I posted about using celery for something some time ago and someone did go
: on and on about how horrible it was.
Well they had bad manners.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 14:12:15 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Cheri" > wrote in message
>>> Hmmm... Sorry. I wonder who that was then!?

>> I don't think anyone is talking about someone saying they don't like
>> something, but rather if someone posted a recipe for a "celery" casserole
>> or something, and another person jumps in and says...OMIGOD that sounds
>> just horrible, it gags me to think of it, and ewwww...that's what we're
>> talking about here. Fine to say I don't really care for celery without all
>> the dramatics. JMO

>I posted about using celery for something some time ago and someone did go
>on and on about how horrible it was.

That isn't right. It is OK to say you dislike something or that it
isn't to your taste, but not much more. There is always someone who
genuinely likes something we don't.

Evelyn
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> "Evelyn" > wrote in message
> > On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 20:01:37 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:
> >

> >>"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> . ..

> >>But you yourself said you don't like celery!
> >>

> > No, that wasn't me. I only dislike lima beans. I love celery!
> >
> > :-)

> Hmmm... Sorry. I wonder who that was then!?

I don't like celery. But if you serve me a salad with celery in it, I
won't make faces, and I'll probably eat most of the celery.

--
"Isn't embarrassing to quote something you didn't read and then attack
what it didn't say?"--WG, where else but Usenet

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

cerly is my hungry test food, if i think i am hungry and a bite of celery is
eaten... if i am hungry it tastes fine too really good, if i am not hungry
it tastes very salty and unpleseant...we cook with it often and its fine to
good in anything cooked, but there is no other food that tastes different
depending on my need to eat, Lee
"Alice Faber" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> "Evelyn" > wrote in message
>> > On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 20:01:37 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>> . ..

>> > No, that wasn't me. I only dislike lima beans. I love celery!
>> >
>> > :-)

>> Hmmm... Sorry. I wonder who that was then!?

> I don't like celery. But if you serve me a salad with celery in it, I
> won't make faces, and I'll probably eat most of the celery.
>
> --
> "Isn't embarrassing to quote something you didn't read and then attack
> what it didn't say?"--WG, where else but Usenet

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Cheri" > wrote:

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Evelyn" > wrote in message
> >> On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 20:01:37 -0700, "Julie Bove"

> >> No, that wasn't me. I only dislike lima beans. I love celery!
> >>
> >> :-)

> > Hmmm... Sorry. I wonder who that was then!?

> I don't think anyone is talking about someone saying they don't like
> something, but rather if someone posted a recipe for a "celery" casserole or
> something, and another person jumps in and says...OMIGOD that sounds just
> horrible, it gags me to think of it, and ewwww...that's what we're talking
> about here. Fine to say I don't really care for celery without all the
> dramatics. JMO
>
> Cheri

Not to mention, why jump in and say anything if someone presents a
recipe for something you don't care for? Just say nothing and move on.

PP
- Chris Malcolm
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Bove[_2_] View Post

So... Do you put butter on your beans? I think the only veggie I ever put
butter on is potatoes. I don't even like it on corn. Once in a while on
popcorn, but usually I even prefer that without.
****

I have learned to enjoy veggies without all the grease, but definitely, yes, I grew up in an environment where the cooks, everywhere, added lots of butter or margarine to most veggies. Actually, I was not fond of butter as a youth, if it was slathered thick on bread and I could see/taste it... Now, I love it, AND my butter-less veggies.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> cerly is my hungry test food, if i think i am hungry and a bite of celery
> is eaten... if i am hungry it tastes fine too really good, if i am not
> hungry it tastes very salty and unpleseant...we cook with it often and its
> fine to good in anything cooked, but there is no other food that tastes
> different depending on my need to eat, Lee

Interesting! I have never found it to be salty. But sometimes bitter and
when it is bitter it smells of maple to me. Not to anyone else. Just me.
I'm weird that way.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"bapretzel2" > wrote in message

> 'Julie Bove[_2_ Wrote:
>> ;1603579']
>>
>> So... Do you put butter on your beans? I think the only veggie I ever
>> put
>> butter on is potatoes. I don't even like it on corn. Once in a while
>> on
>> popcorn, but usually I even prefer that without.

> ****
>
> I have learned to enjoy veggies without all the grease, but definitely,
> yes, I grew up in an environment where the cooks, everywhere, added lots
> of butter or margarine to most veggies. Actually, I was not fond of
> butter as a youth, if it was slathered thick on bread and I could
> see/taste it... Now, I love it, AND my butter-less veggies.

My mom used to add salt to canned veggies and soups. The thought it of now
just gags me! But never butter or margarine.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Oh, Julie, no! Yuk!
Whenever I'm dealing with pre-salted (and/or overly salted) foods I
end up using huge quantities of pepper. I love pepper, lol.

*****

> My mom used to add salt to canned veggies and soups. *The thought it of now
> just gags me! *But never butter or margarine.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"NatMom" > wrote in message
Oh, Julie, no! Yuk!
Whenever I'm dealing with pre-salted (and/or overly salted) foods I
end up using huge quantities of pepper. I love pepper, lol.

I love pepper. I wouldn't eat it as a child. It had nothing to do with the
taste at all. I didn't like the black specks. The only thing my mom ever
put it on was fried eggs. I wasn't overly fond of fried eggs but I sure
didn't want any black specks in them.

My daughter will eat pepper but she prefers it already ground and finely
ground. I prefer freshly ground, coarse.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

one of my weight issues is detecting hunger vs thirst, i can forget to eat
until i have the shakes, and i used to rarely eat for hunger jus taste, i
figured this out one day tasting veggies for a soup... i think this is like
the asparagus thing, and some other veggies, genetics must play a part,

Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> cerly is my hungry test food, if i think i am hungry and a bite of celery
>> is eaten... if i am hungry it tastes fine too really good, if i am not
>> hungry it tastes very salty and unpleseant...we cook with it often and
>> its fine to good in anything cooked, but there is no other food that
>> tastes different depending on my need to eat, Lee

> Interesting! I have never found it to be salty. But sometimes bitter and
> when it is bitter it smells of maple to me. Not to anyone else. Just me.
> I'm weird that way.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Storrmmee wrote:
> one of my weight issues is detecting hunger vs thirst, i can forget
> to eat until i have the shakes, and i used to rarely eat for hunger
> jus taste, i figured this out one day tasting veggies for a soup... i
> think this is like the asparagus thing, and some other veggies,
> genetics must play a part,

I always thought this was an odd thing. I do get thirsty from time to time.
I don't like to get thirsty. As a result of this I have taken to bringing a
drink with me wherever I go. I used to actually take a cooler full of
drinks and I will do this for long outings. But I used to do this just to
go to the grocery store or my parent's house! Now I know I can stop for a
drink pretty much anywhere if need be. So I don't do that any more.

I do think Angela used to have the problem with hunger vs. thirst. I had a
hard time getting her to drink anything at all for many years and she
constantly thought she was hungry. Got to the point where I would have to
insist that she drink a certain amount of liquid before she was allowed any
food. She would also go off to school without so much as a sip of water.
And in NY they didn't have drinking fountains in the school. The kids were
required to bring a purchased bottle of water with them every day. She did
do that but it almost always came home unopened.

I still do have problems getting her to drink before school but she does
always bring a drink with her and she does drink it. At dance she brings a
bottle of water or a sports drink or once in a while a diet soda. She does
drink that. Sometimes she even buys another bottle while there. And I
always have to buy her something on the way out. Most of the time she
finishes it before we get home.

One odd thing now that I have gotten my BG mostly down to where it should
be, I am feeling hunger. This is an odd sensation because I had pretty much
lost all sense of hunger except for perhaps when I had a hypo or maybe if I
smelled something cooking. Now instead of forgetting to eat I am looking at
the clock and eagerly awaiting my next meal.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Storrmmee > wrote:
: one of my weight issues is detecting hunger vs thirst, i can forget to eat
: until i have the shakes, and i used to rarely eat for hunger jus taste, i
: figured this out one day tasting veggies for a soup... i think this is like
: the asparagus thing, and some other veggies, genetics must play a part,

: Lee

When my boys were growing up and would com ehome ready to drinks all the
juice nand milk in the house as well asclean the refrigerator with their
mouths( explained long ago in a pst), I would have them first drink a big
glass of water and then start snacking. this often reduces, not only the
manout of juice, etc they drank, but lso the food.

I find, fo rme, that when I am looking for a snack, a aglass of water
often helps me not take it. I often forget to drink between meals so can
get thirsty without realizing it.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:

: One odd thing now that I have gotten my BG mostly down to where it should
: be, I am feeling hunger. This is an odd sensation because I had pretty much
: lost all sense of hunger except for perhaps when I had a hypo or maybe if I
: smelled something cooking. Now instead of forgetting to eat I am looking at
: the clock and eagerly awaiting my next meal.

Julie, that is nice news. I wonder if getting those dreadful highs out of
the way and having more normal bgs, if it might lessen your gastroparesis,
like many find it reduces their neuropath? I wouldn't be fast to test it,
but it might be helping a bit, which would be good.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
> : One odd thing now that I have gotten my BG mostly down to where it
> should
> : be, I am feeling hunger. This is an odd sensation because I had pretty
> much
> : lost all sense of hunger except for perhaps when I had a hypo or maybe
> if I
> : smelled something cooking. Now instead of forgetting to eat I am
> looking at
> : the clock and eagerly awaiting my next meal.
>
> Julie, that is nice news. I wonder if getting those dreadful highs out of
> the way and having more normal bgs, if it might lessen your gastroparesis,
> like many find it reduces their neuropath? I wouldn't be fast to test it,
> but it might be helping a bit, which would be good.

Let's hope so.

Now my dad is having problems. I won't get into all of it but he is seeing
a new Dr. so my mom thinks this will help. Has to do with a normal A1c but
high BG pretty much all the time. There are extenuating circumstances that
the last Dr. just glossed over. But insulin could be in his future.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

one of the reason ww works so good for me is i learned to eat on a schedule
and much smaller meals, its sorta an exostructure that has helped me to some
degree eat and drink in such a way that i don't over eat and don't get too
hungry,

Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> Storrmmee wrote:
>> one of my weight issues is detecting hunger vs thirst, i can forget
>> to eat until i have the shakes, and i used to rarely eat for hunger
>> jus taste, i figured this out one day tasting veggies for a soup... i
>> think this is like the asparagus thing, and some other veggies,
>> genetics must play a part,

> I always thought this was an odd thing. I do get thirsty from time to
> time. I don't like to get thirsty. As a result of this I have taken to
> bringing a drink with me wherever I go. I used to actually take a cooler
> full of drinks and I will do this for long outings. But I used to do this
> just to go to the grocery store or my parent's house! Now I know I can
> stop for a drink pretty much anywhere if need be. So I don't do that any
> more.
>
> I do think Angela used to have the problem with hunger vs. thirst. I had
> a hard time getting her to drink anything at all for many years and she
> constantly thought she was hungry. Got to the point where I would have to
> insist that she drink a certain amount of liquid before she was allowed
> any food. She would also go off to school without so much as a sip of
> water. And in NY they didn't have drinking fountains in the school. The
> kids were required to bring a purchased bottle of water with them every
> day. She did do that but it almost always came home unopened.
>
> I still do have problems getting her to drink before school but she does
> always bring a drink with her and she does drink it. At dance she brings
> a bottle of water or a sports drink or once in a while a diet soda. She
> does drink that. Sometimes she even buys another bottle while there. And
> I always have to buy her something on the way out. Most of the time she
> finishes it before we get home.
>
> One odd thing now that I have gotten my BG mostly down to where it should
> be, I am feeling hunger. This is an odd sensation because I had pretty
> much lost all sense of hunger except for perhaps when I had a hypo or
> maybe if I smelled something cooking. Now instead of forgetting to eat I
> am looking at the clock and eagerly awaiting my next meal.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i think detecting and quenching thirst is a really important part of any
deitary regime, and it is so often overlooked. I have the added issue of
hating the taste of most water... we just bought a britta water pitcher that
seems to be helping somewhat.