Old 15-04-2011, 09:35 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Butter on green beans?

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
man when my mom cooked we ate it or did without, we all had different
allergies, and with four of us she really worked at making food we could
all eat as a family, once and only once did i snarl my nose at something
, my dad made me eat what seemed like a ton of black eyed peas, he said,
"if your mother cooked it... the least you can do is pass it without
comment, you are not allowed to disrespect her efforts for any reason..."
after that if i had to hold my breath to get something passed me i did...
he was not in the habit of making us take food we didn't want to eat,

I do not think it is proper to make a kid eat something with alcohol, if
the kid refuses it.

The point being, the kid doesn't have to eat it, but isn't allowed to do the
"ewwwwwwwwwww, that's awful, yuk"...thing. A little bit of that definitely
goes a long way, and might even result in a tweaked ear if the kid was mine.
:-)

Cheri

Old 15-04-2011, 10:20 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" wrote in message
The point being, the kid doesn't have to eat it, but isn't allowed to do
the "ewwwwwwwwwww, that's awful, yuk"...thing. A little bit of that
definitely goes a long way, and might even result in a tweaked ear if the
kid was mine. :-)

I think it runs in the family. Both of my parents are still that way about
foods they don't like. So it doesn't bother me at all.

Old 15-04-2011, 10:54 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article ,
"Julie Bove" wrote:

"Cheri" wrote in message
The point being, the kid doesn't have to eat it, but isn't allowed to do
the "ewwwwwwwwwww, that's awful, yuk"...thing. A little bit of that
definitely goes a long way, and might even result in a tweaked ear if the
kid was mine. :-)

I think it runs in the family. Both of my parents are still that way about
foods they don't like. So it doesn't bother me at all.

It's bad manners. One may become accustomed to it, and even follow the
example and do it oneself, but it's still bad manners.

PP
- Chris Malcolm
Old 15-04-2011, 11:36 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article
,
Peppermint Patootie wrote:

In article ,
"Julie Bove" wrote:

"Cheri" wrote in message
The point being, the kid doesn't have to eat it, but isn't allowed to do
the "ewwwwwwwwwww, that's awful, yuk"...thing. A little bit of that
definitely goes a long way, and might even result in a tweaked ear if the
kid was mine. :-)

I think it runs in the family. Both of my parents are still that way about
foods they don't like. So it doesn't bother me at all.

It's bad manners. One may become accustomed to it, and even follow the
example and do it oneself, but it's still bad manners.

Agreed.

--
"Isn't embarrassing to quote something you didn't read and then attack
what it didn't say?"--WG, where else but Usenet
Old 16-04-2011, 01:01 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 17:54:52 -0400, Peppermint Patootie

"Julie Bove" wrote:

"Cheri" wrote in message
The point being, the kid doesn't have to eat it, but isn't allowed to do
the "ewwwwwwwwwww, that's awful, yuk"...thing. A little bit of that
definitely goes a long way, and might even result in a tweaked ear if the
kid was mine. :-)

I think it runs in the family. Both of my parents are still that way about
foods they don't like. So it doesn't bother me at all.

It's bad manners. One may become accustomed to it, and even follow the
example and do it oneself, but it's still bad manners.

PP

Yes it is. I particulary hate it when something I love and enjoy is
given the "eww" treatment by someone else. They should simply
remain silent if they don't like something, but not call it
"disgusting" and such. Say you don't care for it, but not to make
the other person look like a jerk for liking something you think is
"disgusting".

Evelyn

Old 16-04-2011, 01:56 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" wrote in message

Yes it is. I particulary hate it when something I love and enjoy is
given the "eww" treatment by someone else. They should simply
remain silent if they don't like something, but not call it
"disgusting" and such. Say you don't care for it, but not to make
the other person look like a jerk for liking something you think is
"disgusting".

Evelyn

It's the height of rudeness IMO, especially when someone takes the time to
post a recipe. Discussions about substitutions etc. are one thing, but "eww"
and other crass remarks are not needed.

Cheri

Old 16-04-2011, 04:22 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

i am sure its totally emotional on my part as i love most all other beans...
and cornbread? any way except too sweet. not to hot on the onions but greens
are excellent, Lee
"Cheri" wrote in message
"Storrmmee" wrote in message
my parents were fairly easy going and liberal on most things, we had very
few rules, but those we had were not allowed to be breaeched, he said to
me later, that if my mother went to the effort to fix food, that the
least i could do is respect the effort and not influence the younger
two's opinion... and of course he was right... just about five years ago,
i brought up the fact he made me eat black eyed peas, mom had a pot on
the stove... the man looked at me and said" why on earth would i make you
eat something that tasted like wood and smelled worse... i almost fell
out of my chair in shock... the dh laughed so hard he almost threw up...
so i told him what he had said about respecting mom... he said, ok it was
probably worth it... then she set the peas down on the table, and he
said, well... wheres the pepper, and ate it, lol, Lee... who had corn
bread and greens only without even gagging out loud

You're talking about one of my favorite meals, black-eyed peas and white
grainy cornbread with red onions on top. My kids never liked them, so I
never made them eat them. My daughter is in Alabama now, and she makes
them for her hubby, but she said she still doesn't like them. mmmmmmmmmm
Those were the good days since I only make them on New Years now.

Cheri

Old 16-04-2011, 06:31 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 4/15/2011 2:29 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
wrote in message
man when my mom cooked we ate it or did without, we all had different
allergies, and with four of us she really worked at making food we could
all eat as a family, once and only once did i snarl my nose at something ,
my dad made me eat what seemed like a ton of black eyed peas, he said, "if
your mother cooked it... the least you can do is pass it without comment,
you are not allowed to disrespect her efforts for any reason..." after
that if i had to hold my breath to get something passed me i did... he was
not in the habit of making us take food we didn't want to eat,

I do not think it is proper to make a kid eat something with alcohol, if the
kid refuses it.

Julie, you know when you cook with alcohol, you ONLY get the flavour?
the alcohol 'burns off' in the simmering?

Old 16-04-2011, 12:31 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote in message
man when my mom cooked we ate it or did without, we all had different
allergies, and with four of us she really worked at making food we could
all eat as a family, once and only once did i snarl my nose at something ,
my dad made me eat what seemed like a ton of black eyed peas, he said, "if
your mother cooked it... the least you can do is pass it without comment,
you are not allowed to disrespect her efforts for any reason..." after
that if i had to hold my breath to get something passed me i did... he was
not in the habit of making us take food we didn't want to eat,

I do not think it is proper to make a kid eat something with alcohol, if the
kid refuses it.

Julie, you know when you cook with alcohol, you ONLY get the flavour?
the alcohol 'burns off' in the simmering?

I explained that to her.

She allows Angela to tell her how to cook and what to put in it. It's
her child, her deal. She can do what she wants.

Evelyn
Old 16-04-2011, 05:39 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote in message
[...]

lol

teenlet doesn't even know when a splash of sherry goes into the stroganoff

i do it for the flavour, and he likes it, and now that he's older, he's
more willing to 'experiment' with different foods KNOWINGLY this time round

tee hee

kate
Old 16-04-2011, 05:57 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote in message
[...]

When I had my kids at home (they are all grown up now) I would make
stuff, put it on the table, and never discuss each and every
ingredient with them for approval or disapproval. They either ate it
or they didn't. If they didn't like it, I didn't make it again, or
else made some other contingency plan when I did.

I never felt it was right to force them, or to make a big deal out of
it either. The less of a big deal about it, the more open minded
they were. Fortunately they all eat everything now that they are
adults, with the exception of my daughter who has always hated
mushrooms.

Anyone is entitled to an honest dislike or two. As for me, I
absolutely cannot stand little green lima beans. I dislike them
intensely. The big limagrands, the dried ones that make a wonderful
soup are different. Those I enjoy.

For the most part I eat everything... and that JUST may be my worst
problem :-)
Old 16-04-2011, 06:07 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

news

wrote in message
[...]

With me, it's really two things...beets and any kind of sweet potato.
And...my kids either ate things or they didn't, but I never discussed
dinner choices with them until they became older, and then mostly on special
occasions. There was always a PBJ sandwich and a glass of milk to be made if
they hated what I made.

Cheri

Old 16-04-2011, 09:02 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 10:07:07 -0700, "Cheri"
wrote:

news

wrote in message
[...]

Exactly. No big deal.