Old 14-04-2011, 11:02 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Butter on green beans?

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
lol, maybe the seedy bar is darker, lol,... at least it will be clean
because its new, some of these smaller stores are sorta like bed bath and
beyond of booze, Lee

Bed Bath and Beyond is another store that gives me a bad feeling. A very
bad feeling. I've only been in there twice but both times I wanted to flee!
I don't know why that is.

The only thing I can think of is where they built the building, there used
to be some really horrid rental units. I went with a friend to view them.
They were little brown cottages. Some didn't have porches or steps because
they were so decayed. There were chickens running loose all over the place.

Some really old man who looked like he was dead already came out to greet
us. Children were running around squealing about a fire. He told us that he
had kicked out the tenant because she was in violation of some sort of code.
She had a bunch of kids and it was only a one bedroom place. Inside it was
clear that there had been a fire. You could smell it. We didn't go in
beyond the first step inside the door. Yes, the rent was cheap but you'd
have to be really desperate to have rented that place.

Old 14-04-2011, 11:03 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" wrote in message
On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 21:16:36 -0700, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

"Evelyn" wrote in message
. ..
Julie, I buy it in any liquor store. Just ask for it. It is near
the dessert wines. It's quite delicious and I use it in all my
Italian cooking.

Oh. Well I guess that's why I've never seen it. I don't go to the liquor
store.

Don't get an expensive brand, get the cheap stuff. It is actually
better in cooking. Get Gallo or Sheffield, or Chef's choice, or
something like that.

Thanks but I probably won't be using it. Angela has refused to consume
anything with liquor in it.

Old 14-04-2011, 11:06 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" wrote in message
Julie, lots of very decent people go into liquor stores to buy wine or
whatever. It's just like any other store. Don't let strange
impressions from your past stop you. It doesn't mean a person is a
drunk or plans to get drunk to go into a liquor store. It can simply
mean you are picking up a bottle of cooking wine!

I don't think I've ever seen any drunk people going into or coming out of a
liquor store. But here if they did go in drunk they wouldn't be allowed to
buy anything.

I do remember lots of people hanging out in the parking lot where I used to
work. They would beg for money, giving all sorts of reasons and then use
the money to buy fortified wine. If they couldn't get the money they would
just steal the wine. For this reason we quit selling beer and wine.

There was a liquor store across the street.

Old 15-04-2011, 01:42 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
bbb is creepy in general because its set up so that every time you turn
the corner you expect to see a stpeford wife, Lee

That could be why!

When we first moved back here we went to my husband's friend's house. I
knew the friend pretty well but had only met the wife once before. They
came to visit from NY to MA when Angela was born. The wife didn't seem to
fit with him at all. She was one of those extremely pretty blondes that
seemed fake in every way. She was very polite but didn't come across as
genuine at all.

The friend was in the military as well. He has since retired. We both
moved around a lot and when we moved back to WA, he was living here. We
went to their house. HUGE house. They had no kids but did have a cat and
two dogs. A;so by this point in time the wife had put on a great deal of
weight and in no way resembled her former self. She did say she was having
some medical issues but didn't say too much about it except that she really
wanted a baby and was unable to have one. Every time she brought that up,
she teared up and said she wished people wouldn't talk about it so I didn't
pry any further.

I was immediately struck by the strangeness of the house. We were looking
at houses to buy at the time and their house reminded me of one that had
been "staged" to sell. There was very little color in the house. White or
beige carpets throughout. Furnishings were either black, beige or in a few
rooms a little bit of pale sage green. The only room that seemed lived in
was the one bedroom they had given to the pets. It had an older couch, pet
bed and a cat perch.

The really odd thing was that there were some big pictures on the wall about
wine. I know that my husband's friend does drink beer but I am pretty sure
he does it on the sly. They are both Mormon and drinking is frowned upon.
I knew the wife didn't drink so I found it odd that she would put a wine
picture on the wall, but it did fit with their bland color scheme.

The first time I walked into BB and B, I immediately knew what was up with
their house! Apparently they had just gone into that store and bought
everything. It was all there.

I think when they moved here they sold most everything except for what was
in the pet's room and just ordered a bunch of new stuff or maybe went to the
store and got it. They did have a truck.

Old 15-04-2011, 03:35 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
it seems while bbb hass some wonderful kitchen gagets, the overall feeling
i get is that men could take a SO there and get her programmed.

I find them to be very overpriced and I don't like the quality of their
towels.

Two years ago I received a double Crock-Pot as a gift. Seeing as how I
already own one mini crock and three others in assorted sizes, this was the
last thing I needed! The person who gave it to me told me to take it back
there. I had no receipt. They would only give me store credit.

I really didn't want anything from that store and just wanted to get out of
there. But I felt I should get something. So I got an expensive set of
"hotel" towels that had long threads hanging off of them after the first
wash. I also got a little device that hooks onto a pot to put your spoon or
whatever utensil on it. I got the same device from Angela's school for 99
cents. I believe they wanted $3.99 for it a BB and B. Got something else
that husband wanted as well. Can't remember what that was.

My first experience with them was not pleasant because I went in there to
buy towels and bathmats for the big bathroom in this house. The wallpaper
has pale blue flowers, medium pink roses and leaves in assorted shades of
green. So anything green would have worked. So would most shades of pink
and a light to medium blue. But did they have those colors? No! They had
navy and aqua and coral. Gah!

Now they have the blue. But it doesn't matter because the towels suck.

Old 15-04-2011, 11:57 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 15:03:29 -0700, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"Evelyn" wrote in message
Julie, I buy it in any liquor store. Just ask for it. It is near
the dessert wines. It's quite delicious and I use it in all my
Italian cooking.

Oh. Well I guess that's why I've never seen it. I don't go to the liquor
store.

Don't get an expensive brand, get the cheap stuff. It is actually
better in cooking. Get Gallo or Sheffield, or Chef's choice, or
something like that.

Thanks but I probably won't be using it. Angela has refused to consume
anything with liquor in it.

The alcohol is totally gone in the cooking process, and honestly the
flavor is so improved by using the wine that I find it is worth using.
If it didn't improve the flavor much I wouldn't use it. I find it
does, though. But suit yourself, of course....
Old 15-04-2011, 03:14 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" wrote in message
On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 15:03:29 -0700, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

"Evelyn" wrote in message
. ..
On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 21:16:36 -0700, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

"Evelyn" wrote in message
m...
Julie, I buy it in any liquor store. Just ask for it. It is near
the dessert wines. It's quite delicious and I use it in all my
Italian cooking.

Oh. Well I guess that's why I've never seen it. I don't go to the
liquor
store.

Don't get an expensive brand, get the cheap stuff. It is actually
better in cooking. Get Gallo or Sheffield, or Chef's choice, or
something like that.

Thanks but I probably won't be using it. Angela has refused to consume
anything with liquor in it.

The alcohol is totally gone in the cooking process, and honestly the
flavor is so improved by using the wine that I find it is worth using.
If it didn't improve the flavor much I wouldn't use it. I find it
does, though. But suit yourself, of course....

Yeah but she still won't have it so I won't make her.

Old 15-04-2011, 05:19 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

man when my mom cooked we ate it or did without, we all had different
allergies, and with four of us she really worked at making food we could all
eat as a family, once and only once did i snarl my nose at something , my
dad made me eat what seemed like a ton of black eyed peas, he said, "if your
mother cooked it... the least you can do is pass it without comment, you are
not allowed to disrespect her efforts for any reason..." after that if i had
to hold my breath to get something passed me i did... he was not in the
habit of making us take food we didn't want to eat,

wrote:

"Evelyn" wrote in message
On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 21:16:36 -0700, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

om...

Old 15-04-2011, 06:05 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
man when my mom cooked we ate it or did without, we all had different
allergies, and with four of us she really worked at making food we could
all eat as a family, once and only once did i snarl my nose at something ,
my dad made me eat what seemed like a ton of black eyed peas, he said, "if
your mother cooked it... the least you can do is pass it without comment,
you are not allowed to disrespect her efforts for any reason..." after
that if i had to hold my breath to get something passed me i did... he was
not in the habit of making us take food we didn't want to eat,

Gotta love your dad for that one. :-)

Cheri

Old 15-04-2011, 06:38 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

my parents were fairly easy going and liberal on most things, we had very
few rules, but those we had were not allowed to be breaeched, he said to me
later, that if my mother went to the effort to fix food, that the least i
could do is respect the effort and not influence the younger two's
opinion... and of course he was right... just about five years ago, i
brought up the fact he made me eat black eyed peas, mom had a pot on the
stove... the man looked at me and said" why on earth would i make you eat
something that tasted like wood and smelled worse... i almost fell out of my
chair in shock... the dh laughed so hard he almost threw up... so i told him
what he had said about respecting mom... he said, ok it was probably worth
it... then she set the peas down on the table, and he said, well... wheres
the pepper, and ate it, lol, Lee... who had corn bread and greens only
without even gagging out loud

Old 15-04-2011, 06:58 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
[...]

You're talking about one of my favorite meals, black-eyed peas and white
grainy cornbread with red onions on top. My kids never liked them, so I
never made them eat them. My daughter is in Alabama now, and she makes them
for her hubby, but she said she still doesn't like them. mmmmmmmmmm Those
were the good days since I only make them on New Years now.

Cheri

Old 15-04-2011, 09:29 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
man when my mom cooked we ate it or did without, we all had different
allergies, and with four of us she really worked at making food we could
all eat as a family, once and only once did i snarl my nose at something ,
my dad made me eat what seemed like a ton of black eyed peas, he said, "if
your mother cooked it... the least you can do is pass it without comment,
you are not allowed to disrespect her efforts for any reason..." after
that if i had to hold my breath to get something passed me i did... he was
not in the habit of making us take food we didn't want to eat,

I do not think it is proper to make a kid eat something with alcohol, if the
kid refuses it.