Old 14-04-2011, 03:29 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Butter on green beans?

On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 17:57:03 -0700, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

"Evelyn" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 22:37:39 -0700, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

I love green beans. I bought a steamer bag of fresh green beans and made
them for dinner tonight. Normally I just steam them and eat them. But
the
directions said to put butter, salt and pepper on them. I also read of a
recipe in a magazine that called for butter and parmesan cheese on them.
Now once in a while I have made green beans or beans and carrots with a
little olive oil. But never butter. But I decided to try it.

I didn't like it! I didn't like it at all! Maybe it's because I grew up
eating plain vegetables. Mostly they were canned but once in a while they
were fresh. My grandma did make beans with bacon in them, but I only
remember having those a few times.

So... Do you put butter on your beans? I think the only veggie I ever
put
butter on is potatoes. I don't even like it on corn. Once in a while on
popcorn, but usually I even prefer that without.

I prepare green beans in several different ways.

Salt pepper and butter is one way.

Onions sauteed in butter with salt and pepper, then add the cooked
beans and toss.... that's another.

italian style is with garlic, onion, canned tomatoes, olive oil and
oregano and basil.... all cooked together. That's another way.

I like onions in them too. I had forgotten I made a potato recipe once that
had green beans and red peppers in it as well. Also onions, I think. It
was very good. Will have to look for that one again.

My grandmother made them an interesting way. She added flour to the
pan with the oil and onions, and then some water or broth and stir
till it got a bit thickened into a butter sauce with the green beans.
The onion-ey butter and salt and pepper would cling nicely to the
beans that way, like a sauce.

Evelyn

Old 14-04-2011, 05:16 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" wrote in message
Julie, I buy it in any liquor store. Just ask for it. It is near
the dessert wines. It's quite delicious and I use it in all my
Italian cooking.

Oh. Well I guess that's why I've never seen it. I don't go to the liquor
store.

Old 14-04-2011, 05:17 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" wrote in message
My grandmother made them an interesting way. She added flour to the
pan with the oil and onions, and then some water or broth and stir
till it got a bit thickened into a butter sauce with the green beans.
The onion-ey butter and salt and pepper would cling nicely to the
beans that way, like a sauce.

Hmmm... Not sure I would like that.

Old 14-04-2011, 05:55 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

We eat Promise spread on our green beans. Sometimes I will fry some diced
bacon and chopped onions, until bacon is almost crisp , then add frozen
green beans and cook until beans are tender....sometimes I will add a
handful of cooked red beans, or pintos, what ever is on hand.

Old 14-04-2011, 06:05 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 14/04/2011 8:19 AM, Alice Faber wrote:

Absolutely, always with butter and some herbs/salt/pepper, unless I've
sauteed them with olive oil and garlic. (Also, always real butter, not
margarine, which some people insist on calling butter.)

Easy to tel,l recipe for butter cream, salt churn well. Recipe for
margarine chemistry 101 for 5 years lots of shiny stainless steel stuff
making weird stuff do things it doesn't want to do then dye the grey
stuff yellow so it looks like butter:-) YUM YUM

(- -)
=m=(_)=m=
RodS T2
Australia

Old 14-04-2011, 06:56 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" wrote in message
news
We eat Promise spread on our green beans. Sometimes I will fry some diced
bacon and chopped onions, until bacon is almost crisp , then add frozen
green beans and cook until beans are tender....sometimes I will add a
handful of cooked red beans, or pintos, what ever is on hand.

When I was a kid, my favorite canned vegetable was Shelly Beans. I don't
think those are even made any more. I did get some through mail order that
were similar but the proportions were off. Too many of the shell beans in
proportion to the green.

Old 14-04-2011, 07:07 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

we have a fryr tucks we go to when we are looking for something
particular... the staff there is generally in the know, one woman in
particular really knows their inventory... she not only knows what i am
talking about when i go in there, i can say i want something to... describe
and she will point me to a couple of options... she is also good at
remembering things like i love ice wine... if i hit the front door and there
is a sale or new product or something like what she knows i like she makes a
point of telling me about it... hhhmmm maybe i can just get her to use my
dictaphone and tell me what i like and have bought from there... poof
instant journal. lol, Lee
"Evelyn" wrote in message
On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 17:46:04 -0700, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

"Evelyn" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 07:14:17 -0700, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

W. Baker wrote:
Julie Bove wrote:
I love green beans. I bought a steamer bag of fresh green beans and
made them for dinner tonight. Normally I just steam them and eat
them. But the directions said to put butter, salt and pepper on
them. I also read of a recipe in a magazine that called for butter
and parmesan cheese on them. Now once in a while I have made green
beans or beans and carrots with a little olive oil. But never
butter. But I decided to try it.

I didn't like it! I didn't like it at all! Maybe it's because I
grew up eating plain vegetables. Mostly they were canned but once
in a while they were fresh. My grandma did make beans with bacon in
them, but I only remember having those a few times.

So... Do you put butter on your beans? I think the only veggie I
ever put butter on is potatoes. I don't even like it on corn. Once
in a while on popcorn, but usually I even prefer that without.

I never put butter on vegetables and my mother never did. As most of
our meals withstriing beans meals had meat, butter would nt have been
considered.

I do not like buttered vegetables and, like you, I believe it is
because it is not what I grew up with.

I eat, and enjoy many foods I did not grow up with, but somehow I
prefer my vegetables plain, unless in some kind of dish like
ratatouie(sp?) or those great Greek stringbeans in tasty tomato based
sauce, or Chinese, etc.

I did have zucchini that I liked in a diner in NJ. They were stewed in
tomato sauce. I do not normally like zucchini and have never had any
stewed
since that I liked. And I tried a lot of recipes.

I take raw zucchini and cut it up (skin on) into a small pot.
Add a can of canned tomatoes.
Chop an onion and add it to the pot.
Cut up a couple of cloves of garlic and add that too.
Add a couple of tablespoons worth of olive oil
Add a splash of Marsala wine.

Salt, Pepper, red pepper flakes, oregano, basil, and parsley.

Simmer till the zucchini is tender. It is absolutely delicious this
way.

Hmmm... I've never tried it with wine.

Where do you buy the Marsala? I tried looking in a few stores and they
didn't have it.

Old 14-04-2011, 07:47 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
we have a fryr tucks we go to when we are looking for something
particular... the staff there is generally in the know, one woman in
particular really knows their inventory... she not only knows what i am
talking about when i go in there, i can say i want something to...
describe and she will point me to a couple of options... she is also good
at remembering things like i love ice wine... if i hit the front door and
there is a sale or new product or something like what she knows i like she
makes a point of telling me about it... hhhmmm maybe i can just get her to
use my dictaphone and tell me what i like and have bought from there...
poof instant journal. lol, Lee

There is actually a fairly new liquor store by Angela's dance studio. I
have to walk by it to get to the grocery store. So I wouldn't have to go
out of my way to go in there. It's just that liquor stores make me feel
uncomfortable and I don't really know why. I've only ever been in them a
few times.

When I was younger, they had some sort of military thing at Sand Point. My
friend's husband was in the Army so if I needed liquor she would just get it
for me there. I never went in with her so don't know how or where it was
sold there. In those days the liquor sold there was much cheaper than at
our state run liquor stores. I don't drink at all any more and didn't drink
much in those days but I did throw a lot of parties and I always supplied at
least some of the liquor. I do know some people are picky about what they
drink so those folks would most likely have to bring their own. But I
digress...

When we were first married, the department type store on the base where we
lived sold hard liquor. I only ever bought a few of those single serve
bottles and I think they were about a dollar apiece. The grocery store on
the base sold beer and wine. I did buy quite a lot of wine for cooking and
I sometimes bought beer for my husband and his friends. The prices there
were much cheaper than what I would have paid at the state run store or
grocery store (only beer and wine) here in WA.

But then the military began to crack down. First it was liquor and then it
was cigarettes. They raised the prices higher and higher in an effort to
make them less appealing to the service people. I don't know if it worked
or not but I'm thinking it did.

When we lived on Cape Cod the big thing was to throw parties every weekend
with free flowing liquor. There were contests to see who could get the most
drunk or stay drunk for the longest length of time. I kid you not and the
people who did this actually seemed to be proud of it. It was really pretty
pathetic. It also could have had something to do with the ages of the
people living there. I was 35 when I moved there and there were few people
my age. Most were between 19 and 25. I know I drank more when I was
younger, but never to that extent.

When we moved to CA, we had friends who had parties every weekend. There
was beer. Not sure if there was any wine or not. Some people drank the
beer, many did not. I don't remember anyone ever getting drunk to the point
of getting sick and only one person getting drunk to the point of acting
crazy. Alas he was my next door neighbor, until he did that. He lost his
housing after what he had pulled. It wasn't just for this incident.
Apparently he had quite a history of doing what he shouldn't.

Then we moved to NY. They had a block party on our first day there.
Because I hadn't finished unpacking, I brought a cheese platter and raw
veggies. I wasn't able to cook anything just yet. They closed off the
street to traffic and set out huge BBQs where they cooked all sorts of
meats. Everything else was potluck.

My husband brought a 6-pack of beer. Just a single 6-pack. You should have
seen the looks he was given! It was clearly not approved of. He took it
back home.

We went to many parties while we lived there and I don't recall liquor at
any of them except for an event that was at a club in Manhattan. They were
only allowed to serve the liquor for a period of about 2 hours and I was
told that as the time went on, the liquor was more and more watered down. I
tried to get a club soda. They didn't have it. Nor did they have Diet
Coke. I finally settled on a mineral which I don't like very much because
it is too salty. I can't remember now if it was Perrier or Evian.

They did provide coffee later but only filled the cups halfway. We were
unable to get a refill despite many of us trying. And there was no sugar or
cream. Thankfully I drink mine black.

The food was really bad at that party too. Those of us who went through the
line first (that would be me) found the food to be very bland as if it had
no seasoning at all. The ones who went through the line later all
complained that the food was too salty! It was as though they dumped some
salt in at some point and never mixed it in. They also had the woodiest
shards of raw beets in the salad. One of them made my tongue bleed so I had
to quit eating it. Thankfully I haven't had to go to any such parties since
then.

Old 14-04-2011, 09:06 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

the l/s makes you uncomfortable because you are of an age where nice girls
didn't go into taverns or seedy bars, and the l/s was usually next door to a
pool hall... if this new store is like fryer tucks or benny's beverage
depo, they are set up alot more like a grocery store, isles dividing
types/brands/uses... i love that our fryer tucks has the "dessert" isle...
but to be honest i wouldn't go in if not with my dh...

Old 14-04-2011, 09:34 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
the l/s makes you uncomfortable because you are of an age where nice girls
didn't go into taverns or seedy bars, and the l/s was usually next door to
a pool hall... if this new store is like fryer tucks or benny's beverage
depo, they are set up alot more like a grocery store, isles dividing
types/brands/uses... i love that our fryer tucks has the "dessert" isle...
but to be honest i wouldn't go in if not with my dh...

Oh I had no trouble going into seedy bars! That's where I met my husband.
Heh!

I don't know what it is. I guess it's just all those bottles or something.
I get in there and the whole thing seems sooo confusing!

This is a small place. I don't recall if there are aisles or not. I am
thinking not. Seems from looking in there that it has a very open design
with the bottles on the walls. They do sell a few other things that are not
liquor. Like decorative plates and linens.

Old 14-04-2011, 10:27 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

lol, maybe the seedy bar is darker, lol,... at least it will be clean
because its new, some of these smaller stores are sorta like bed bath and
beyond of booze, Lee

Old 14-04-2011, 11:36 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 21:16:36 -0700, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

"Evelyn" wrote in message
.. .
Julie, I buy it in any liquor store. Just ask for it. It is near
the dessert wines. It's quite delicious and I use it in all my
Italian cooking.

Oh. Well I guess that's why I've never seen it. I don't go to the liquor
store.

Don't get an expensive brand, get the cheap stuff. It is actually
better in cooking. Get Gallo or Sheffield, or Chef's choice, or
something like that.

Evelyn
Old 14-04-2011, 11:39 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 23:47:17 -0700, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
[...]

Julie, lots of very decent people go into liquor stores to buy wine or
whatever. It's just like any other store. Don't let strange
impressions from your past stop you. It doesn't mean a person is a
drunk or plans to get drunk to go into a liquor store. It can simply
mean you are picking up a bottle of cooking wine!

Evelyn
Old 14-04-2011, 11:42 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 21:17:20 -0700, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

"Evelyn" wrote in message
.. .
My grandmother made them an interesting way. She added flour to the
pan with the oil and onions, and then some water or broth and stir
till it got a bit thickened into a butter sauce with the green beans.
The onion-ey butter and salt and pepper would cling nicely to the
beans that way, like a sauce.

Hmmm... Not sure I would like that.

You probably would not, due to the presence of the flour. But others
might like it. Green beans are quite versatile veggies and there are
any number of ways to cook them. Onions and bacon are another
interesting way.

Evelyn
Old 14-04-2011, 03:48 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 4/12/2011 11:37 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
I love green beans. I bought a steamer bag of fresh green beans and made
them for dinner tonight. Normally I just steam them and eat them. But the
directions said to put butter, salt and pepper on them. I also read of a
recipe in a magazine that called for butter and parmesan cheese on them.
Now once in a while I have made green beans or beans and carrots with a
little olive oil. But never butter. But I decided to try it.

I didn't like it! I didn't like it at all! Maybe it's because I grew up
eating plain vegetables. Mostly they were canned but once in a while they
were fresh. My grandma did make beans with bacon in them, but I only
remember having those a few times.

So... Do you put butter on your beans? I think the only veggie I ever put
butter on is potatoes. I don't even like it on corn. Once in a while on
popcorn, but usually I even prefer that without.

roasted slivered almonds
yum!

kate
(corn MUST be dripping in butter LOL)