Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Butter on green beans?

lol, maybe the seedy bar is darker, lol,... at least it will be clean
because its new, some of these smaller stores are sorta like bed bath and
beyond of booze, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> the l/s makes you uncomfortable because you are of an age where nice
>> girls didn't go into taverns or seedy bars, and the l/s was usually next
>> door to a pool hall... if this new store is like fryer tucks or benny's
>> beverage depo, they are set up alot more like a grocery store, isles
>> dividing types/brands/uses... i love that our fryer tucks has the
>> "dessert" isle... but to be honest i wouldn't go in if not with my dh...
>>

> Oh I had no trouble going into seedy bars! That's where I met my husband.
> Heh!
>
> I don't know what it is. I guess it's just all those bottles or
> something. I get in there and the whole thing seems sooo confusing!
>
> This is a small place. I don't recall if there are aisles or not. I am
> thinking not. Seems from looking in there that it has a very open design
> with the bottles on the walls. They do sell a few other things that are
> not liquor. Like decorative plates and linens.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 21:16:36 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Evelyn" > wrote in message
.. .
>> Julie, I buy it in any liquor store. Just ask for it. It is near
>> the dessert wines. It's quite delicious and I use it in all my
>> Italian cooking.

>Oh. Well I guess that's why I've never seen it. I don't go to the liquor
>store.

Don't get an expensive brand, get the cheap stuff. It is actually
better in cooking. Get Gallo or Sheffield, or Chef's choice, or
something like that.

Evelyn
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 23:47:17 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> [...]

>make them less appealing to the service people. I don't know if it worked
>or not but I'm thinking it did.
>
>When we lived on Cape Cod the big thing was to throw parties every weekend
>with free flowing liquor. There were contests to see who could get the most
>drunk or stay drunk for the longest length of time. I kid you not and the
>people who did this actually seemed to be proud of it. It was really pretty
>pathetic. It also could have had something to do with the ages of the
>people living there. I was 35 when I moved there and there were few people
>my age. Most were between 19 and 25. I know I drank more when I was
>younger, but never to that extent.
>
>When we moved to CA, we had friends who had parties every weekend. There
>was beer. Not sure if there was any wine or not. Some people drank the
>beer, many did not. I don't remember anyone ever getting drunk to the point
>of getting sick and only one person getting drunk to the point of acting
>crazy. Alas he was my next door neighbor, until he did that. He lost his
>housing after what he had pulled. It wasn't just for this incident.
>Apparently he had quite a history of doing what he shouldn't.
>
>Then we moved to NY. They had a block party on our first day there.
>Because I hadn't finished unpacking, I brought a cheese platter and raw
>veggies. I wasn't able to cook anything just yet. They closed off the
>street to traffic and set out huge BBQs where they cooked all sorts of
>meats. Everything else was potluck.
>
>My husband brought a 6-pack of beer. Just a single 6-pack. You should have
>seen the looks he was given! It was clearly not approved of. He took it
>back home.
>
>We went to many parties while we lived there and I don't recall liquor at
>any of them except for an event that was at a club in Manhattan. They were
>only allowed to serve the liquor for a period of about 2 hours and I was
>told that as the time went on, the liquor was more and more watered down. I
>tried to get a club soda. They didn't have it. Nor did they have Diet
>Coke. I finally settled on a mineral which I don't like very much because
>it is too salty. I can't remember now if it was Perrier or Evian.
>
>They did provide coffee later but only filled the cups halfway. We were
>unable to get a refill despite many of us trying. And there was no sugar or
>cream. Thankfully I drink mine black.
>
>The food was really bad at that party too. Those of us who went through the
>line first (that would be me) found the food to be very bland as if it had
>no seasoning at all. The ones who went through the line later all
>complained that the food was too salty! It was as though they dumped some
>salt in at some point and never mixed it in. They also had the woodiest
>shards of raw beets in the salad. One of them made my tongue bleed so I had
>to quit eating it. Thankfully I haven't had to go to any such parties since

Julie, lots of very decent people go into liquor stores to buy wine or
whatever. It's just like any other store. Don't let strange
impressions from your past stop you. It doesn't mean a person is a
drunk or plans to get drunk to go into a liquor store. It can simply
mean you are picking up a bottle of cooking wine!

Evelyn
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 21:17:20 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Evelyn" > wrote in message
.. .
>> My grandmother made them an interesting way. She added flour to the
>> pan with the oil and onions, and then some water or broth and stir
>> till it got a bit thickened into a butter sauce with the green beans.
>> The onion-ey butter and salt and pepper would cling nicely to the
>> beans that way, like a sauce.

>Hmmm... Not sure I would like that.

You probably would not, due to the presence of the flour. But others
might like it. Green beans are quite versatile veggies and there are
any number of ways to cook them. Onions and bacon are another
interesting way.

Evelyn
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 4/12/2011 11:37 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> I love green beans. I bought a steamer bag of fresh green beans and made
> them for dinner tonight. Normally I just steam them and eat them. But the
> directions said to put butter, salt and pepper on them. I also read of a
> recipe in a magazine that called for butter and parmesan cheese on them.
> Now once in a while I have made green beans or beans and carrots with a
> little olive oil. But never butter. But I decided to try it.
>
> I didn't like it! I didn't like it at all! Maybe it's because I grew up
> eating plain vegetables. Mostly they were canned but once in a while they
> were fresh. My grandma did make beans with bacon in them, but I only
> remember having those a few times.
>
> So... Do you put butter on your beans? I think the only veggie I ever put
> butter on is potatoes. I don't even like it on corn. Once in a while on
> popcorn, but usually I even prefer that without.

roasted slivered almonds
yum!

kate
(corn MUST be dripping in butter LOL)

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> lol, maybe the seedy bar is darker, lol,... at least it will be clean
> because its new, some of these smaller stores are sorta like bed bath and
> beyond of booze, Lee

Bed Bath and Beyond is another store that gives me a bad feeling. A very
bad feeling. I've only been in there twice but both times I wanted to flee!
I don't know why that is.

The only thing I can think of is where they built the building, there used
to be some really horrid rental units. I went with a friend to view them.
They were little brown cottages. Some didn't have porches or steps because
they were so decayed. There were chickens running loose all over the place.

Some really old man who looked like he was dead already came out to greet
us. Children were running around squealing about a fire. He told us that he
had kicked out the tenant because she was in violation of some sort of code.
She had a bunch of kids and it was only a one bedroom place. Inside it was
clear that there had been a fire. You could smell it. We didn't go in
beyond the first step inside the door. Yes, the rent was cheap but you'd
have to be really desperate to have rented that place.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 21:16:36 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Evelyn" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> Julie, I buy it in any liquor store. Just ask for it. It is near
>>> the dessert wines. It's quite delicious and I use it in all my
>>> Italian cooking.

>>Oh. Well I guess that's why I've never seen it. I don't go to the liquor
>>store.

> Don't get an expensive brand, get the cheap stuff. It is actually
> better in cooking. Get Gallo or Sheffield, or Chef's choice, or
> something like that.

Thanks but I probably won't be using it. Angela has refused to consume
anything with liquor in it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> Julie, lots of very decent people go into liquor stores to buy wine or
> whatever. It's just like any other store. Don't let strange
> impressions from your past stop you. It doesn't mean a person is a
> drunk or plans to get drunk to go into a liquor store. It can simply
> mean you are picking up a bottle of cooking wine!

I don't think I've ever seen any drunk people going into or coming out of a
liquor store. But here if they did go in drunk they wouldn't be allowed to
buy anything.

I do remember lots of people hanging out in the parking lot where I used to
work. They would beg for money, giving all sorts of reasons and then use
the money to buy fortified wine. If they couldn't get the money they would
just steal the wine. For this reason we quit selling beer and wine.

There was a liquor store across the street.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

bbb is creepy in general because its set up so that every time you turn the
corner you expect to see a stpeford wife, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> lol, maybe the seedy bar is darker, lol,... at least it will be clean
>> because its new, some of these smaller stores are sorta like bed bath and
>> beyond of booze, Lee

> Bed Bath and Beyond is another store that gives me a bad feeling. A very
> bad feeling. I've only been in there twice but both times I wanted to
> flee! I don't know why that is.
>
> The only thing I can think of is where they built the building, there used
> to be some really horrid rental units. I went with a friend to view them.
> They were little brown cottages. Some didn't have porches or steps
> because they were so decayed. There were chickens running loose all over
> the place.
>
> Some really old man who looked like he was dead already came out to greet
> us. Children were running around squealing about a fire. He told us that
> he had kicked out the tenant because she was in violation of some sort of
> code. She had a bunch of kids and it was only a one bedroom place. Inside
> it was clear that there had been a fire. You could smell it. We didn't
> go in beyond the first step inside the door. Yes, the rent was cheap but
> you'd have to be really desperate to have rented that place.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> bbb is creepy in general because its set up so that every time you turn
> the corner you expect to see a stpeford wife, Lee

That could be why!

When we first moved back here we went to my husband's friend's house. I
knew the friend pretty well but had only met the wife once before. They
came to visit from NY to MA when Angela was born. The wife didn't seem to
fit with him at all. She was one of those extremely pretty blondes that
seemed fake in every way. She was very polite but didn't come across as
genuine at all.

The friend was in the military as well. He has since retired. We both
moved around a lot and when we moved back to WA, he was living here. We
went to their house. HUGE house. They had no kids but did have a cat and
two dogs. A;so by this point in time the wife had put on a great deal of
weight and in no way resembled her former self. She did say she was having
some medical issues but didn't say too much about it except that she really
wanted a baby and was unable to have one. Every time she brought that up,
she teared up and said she wished people wouldn't talk about it so I didn't
pry any further.

I was immediately struck by the strangeness of the house. We were looking
at houses to buy at the time and their house reminded me of one that had
been "staged" to sell. There was very little color in the house. White or
beige carpets throughout. Furnishings were either black, beige or in a few
rooms a little bit of pale sage green. The only room that seemed lived in
was the one bedroom they had given to the pets. It had an older couch, pet
bed and a cat perch.

The really odd thing was that there were some big pictures on the wall about
wine. I know that my husband's friend does drink beer but I am pretty sure
he does it on the sly. They are both Mormon and drinking is frowned upon.
I knew the wife didn't drink so I found it odd that she would put a wine
picture on the wall, but it did fit with their bland color scheme.

The first time I walked into BB and B, I immediately knew what was up with
their house! Apparently they had just gone into that store and bought
everything. It was all there.

I think when they moved here they sold most everything except for what was
in the pet's room and just ordered a bunch of new stuff or maybe went to the
store and got it. They did have a truck.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

it seems while bbb hass some wonderful kitchen gagets, the overall feeling i
get is that men could take a SO there and get her programmed.
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> bbb is creepy in general because its set up so that every time you turn
>> the corner you expect to see a stpeford wife, Lee

> That could be why!
>
> When we first moved back here we went to my husband's friend's house. I
> knew the friend pretty well but had only met the wife once before. They
> came to visit from NY to MA when Angela was born. The wife didn't seem to
> fit with him at all. She was one of those extremely pretty blondes that
> seemed fake in every way. She was very polite but didn't come across as
> genuine at all.
>
> The friend was in the military as well. He has since retired. We both
> moved around a lot and when we moved back to WA, he was living here. We
> went to their house. HUGE house. They had no kids but did have a cat and
> two dogs. A;so by this point in time the wife had put on a great deal of
> weight and in no way resembled her former self. She did say she was
> having some medical issues but didn't say too much about it except that
> she really wanted a baby and was unable to have one. Every time she
> brought that up, she teared up and said she wished people wouldn't talk
> about it so I didn't pry any further.
>
> I was immediately struck by the strangeness of the house. We were looking
> at houses to buy at the time and their house reminded me of one that had
> been "staged" to sell. There was very little color in the house. White
> or beige carpets throughout. Furnishings were either black, beige or in a
> few rooms a little bit of pale sage green. The only room that seemed
> lived in was the one bedroom they had given to the pets. It had an older
> couch, pet bed and a cat perch.
>
> The really odd thing was that there were some big pictures on the wall
> about wine. I know that my husband's friend does drink beer but I am
> pretty sure he does it on the sly. They are both Mormon and drinking is
> frowned upon. I knew the wife didn't drink so I found it odd that she
> would put a wine picture on the wall, but it did fit with their bland
> color scheme.
>
> The first time I walked into BB and B, I immediately knew what was up with
> their house! Apparently they had just gone into that store and bought
> everything. It was all there.
>
> I think when they moved here they sold most everything except for what was
> in the pet's room and just ordered a bunch of new stuff or maybe went to
> the store and got it. They did have a truck.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> it seems while bbb hass some wonderful kitchen gagets, the overall feeling
> i get is that men could take a SO there and get her programmed.

I find them to be very overpriced and I don't like the quality of their
towels.

Two years ago I received a double Crock-Pot as a gift. Seeing as how I
already own one mini crock and three others in assorted sizes, this was the
last thing I needed! The person who gave it to me told me to take it back
there. I had no receipt. They would only give me store credit.

I really didn't want anything from that store and just wanted to get out of
there. But I felt I should get something. So I got an expensive set of
"hotel" towels that had long threads hanging off of them after the first
wash. I also got a little device that hooks onto a pot to put your spoon or
whatever utensil on it. I got the same device from Angela's school for 99
cents. I believe they wanted $3.99 for it a BB and B. Got something else
that husband wanted as well. Can't remember what that was.

My first experience with them was not pleasant because I went in there to
buy towels and bathmats for the big bathroom in this house. The wallpaper
has pale blue flowers, medium pink roses and leaves in assorted shades of
green. So anything green would have worked. So would most shades of pink
and a light to medium blue. But did they have those colors? No! They had
navy and aqua and coral. Gah!

Now they have the blue. But it doesn't matter because the towels suck.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

they do sell zero odor, and thats the only good thing i can say, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> it seems while bbb hass some wonderful kitchen gagets, the overall
>> feeling i get is that men could take a SO there and get her programmed.

> I find them to be very overpriced and I don't like the quality of their
> towels.
>
> Two years ago I received a double Crock-Pot as a gift. Seeing as how I
> already own one mini crock and three others in assorted sizes, this was
> the last thing I needed! The person who gave it to me told me to take it
> back there. I had no receipt. They would only give me store credit.
>
> I really didn't want anything from that store and just wanted to get out
> of there. But I felt I should get something. So I got an expensive set
> of "hotel" towels that had long threads hanging off of them after the
> first wash. I also got a little device that hooks onto a pot to put your
> spoon or whatever utensil on it. I got the same device from Angela's
> school for 99 cents. I believe they wanted $3.99 for it a BB and B. Got
> something else that husband wanted as well. Can't remember what that was.
>
> My first experience with them was not pleasant because I went in there to
> buy towels and bathmats for the big bathroom in this house. The wallpaper
> has pale blue flowers, medium pink roses and leaves in assorted shades of
> green. So anything green would have worked. So would most shades of pink
> and a light to medium blue. But did they have those colors? No! They
> had navy and aqua and coral. Gah!
>
> Now they have the blue. But it doesn't matter because the towels suck.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 15:03:29 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Evelyn" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 21:16:36 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

>>>Oh. Well I guess that's why I've never seen it. I don't go to the liquor
>>>store.

>> Don't get an expensive brand, get the cheap stuff. It is actually
>> better in cooking. Get Gallo or Sheffield, or Chef's choice, or
>> something like that.

>Thanks but I probably won't be using it. Angela has refused to consume
>anything with liquor in it.

The alcohol is totally gone in the cooking process, and honestly the
flavor is so improved by using the wine that I find it is worth using.
If it didn't improve the flavor much I wouldn't use it. I find it
does, though. But suit yourself, of course....
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 15:03:29 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Evelyn" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 21:16:36 -0700, "Julie Bove"

m...

>>> Don't get an expensive brand, get the cheap stuff. It is actually
>>> better in cooking. Get Gallo or Sheffield, or Chef's choice, or
>>> something like that.

>>Thanks but I probably won't be using it. Angela has refused to consume
>>anything with liquor in it.

> The alcohol is totally gone in the cooking process, and honestly the
> flavor is so improved by using the wine that I find it is worth using.
> If it didn't improve the flavor much I wouldn't use it. I find it
> does, though. But suit yourself, of course....

Yeah but she still won't have it so I won't make her.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

man when my mom cooked we ate it or did without, we all had different
allergies, and with four of us she really worked at making food we could all
eat as a family, once and only once did i snarl my nose at something , my
dad made me eat what seemed like a ton of black eyed peas, he said, "if your
mother cooked it... the least you can do is pass it without comment, you are
not allowed to disrespect her efforts for any reason..." after that if i had
to hold my breath to get something passed me i did... he was not in the
habit of making us take food we didn't want to eat,

Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Evelyn" > wrote in message
>> On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 15:03:29 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

om...

>>>Thanks but I probably won't be using it. Angela has refused to consume
>>>anything with liquor in it.

>> The alcohol is totally gone in the cooking process, and honestly the
>> flavor is so improved by using the wine that I find it is worth using.
>> If it didn't improve the flavor much I wouldn't use it. I find it
>> does, though. But suit yourself, of course....

> Yeah but she still won't have it so I won't make her.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> man when my mom cooked we ate it or did without, we all had different
> allergies, and with four of us she really worked at making food we could
> all eat as a family, once and only once did i snarl my nose at something ,
> my dad made me eat what seemed like a ton of black eyed peas, he said, "if
> your mother cooked it... the least you can do is pass it without comment,
> you are not allowed to disrespect her efforts for any reason..." after
> that if i had to hold my breath to get something passed me i did... he was
> not in the habit of making us take food we didn't want to eat,

Gotta love your dad for that one. :-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

my parents were fairly easy going and liberal on most things, we had very
few rules, but those we had were not allowed to be breaeched, he said to me
later, that if my mother went to the effort to fix food, that the least i
could do is respect the effort and not influence the younger two's
opinion... and of course he was right... just about five years ago, i
brought up the fact he made me eat black eyed peas, mom had a pot on the
stove... the man looked at me and said" why on earth would i make you eat
something that tasted like wood and smelled worse... i almost fell out of my
chair in shock... the dh laughed so hard he almost threw up... so i told him
what he had said about respecting mom... he said, ok it was probably worth
it... then she set the peas down on the table, and he said, well... wheres
the pepper, and ate it, lol, Lee... who had corn bread and greens only
without even gagging out loud
"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> man when my mom cooked we ate it or did without, we all had different
>> allergies, and with four of us she really worked at making food we could
>> all eat as a family, once and only once did i snarl my nose at something
>> , my dad made me eat what seemed like a ton of black eyed peas, he said,
>> "if your mother cooked it... the least you can do is pass it without
>> comment, you are not allowed to disrespect her efforts for any reason..."
>> after that if i had to hold my breath to get something passed me i did...
>> he was not in the habit of making us take food we didn't want to eat,

> Gotta love your dad for that one. :-)
>
> Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> my parents were fairly easy going and liberal on most things, we had very
> few rules, but those we had were not allowed to be breaeched, he said to
> me later, that if my mother went to the effort to fix food, that the least
> i could do is respect the effort and not influence the younger two's
> opinion... and of course he was right... just about five years ago, i
> brought up the fact he made me eat black eyed peas, mom had a pot on the
> stove... the man looked at me and said" why on earth would i make you eat
> something that tasted like wood and smelled worse... i almost fell out of
> my chair in shock... the dh laughed so hard he almost threw up... so i
> told him what he had said about respecting mom... he said, ok it was
> probably worth it... then she set the peas down on the table, and he said,
> well... wheres the pepper, and ate it, lol, Lee... who had corn bread and
> greens only without even gagging out loud

You're talking about one of my favorite meals, black-eyed peas and white
grainy cornbread with red onions on top. My kids never liked them, so I
never made them eat them. My daughter is in Alabama now, and she makes them
for her hubby, but she said she still doesn't like them. mmmmmmmmmm Those
were the good days since I only make them on New Years now.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> man when my mom cooked we ate it or did without, we all had different
> allergies, and with four of us she really worked at making food we could
> all eat as a family, once and only once did i snarl my nose at something ,
> my dad made me eat what seemed like a ton of black eyed peas, he said, "if
> your mother cooked it... the least you can do is pass it without comment,
> you are not allowed to disrespect her efforts for any reason..." after
> that if i had to hold my breath to get something passed me i did... he was
> not in the habit of making us take food we didn't want to eat,

I do not think it is proper to make a kid eat something with alcohol, if the
kid refuses it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> man when my mom cooked we ate it or did without, we all had different
>> allergies, and with four of us she really worked at making food we could
>> all eat as a family, once and only once did i snarl my nose at something
>> , my dad made me eat what seemed like a ton of black eyed peas, he said,
>> "if your mother cooked it... the least you can do is pass it without
>> comment, you are not allowed to disrespect her efforts for any reason..."
>> after that if i had to hold my breath to get something passed me i did...
>> he was not in the habit of making us take food we didn't want to eat,
>>

> I do not think it is proper to make a kid eat something with alcohol, if
> the kid refuses it.

The point being, the kid doesn't have to eat it, but isn't allowed to do the
"ewwwwwwwwwww, that's awful, yuk"...thing. A little bit of that definitely
goes a long way, and might even result in a tweaked ear if the kid was mine.
:-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> The point being, the kid doesn't have to eat it, but isn't allowed to do
> the "ewwwwwwwwwww, that's awful, yuk"...thing. A little bit of that
> definitely goes a long way, and might even result in a tweaked ear if the
> kid was mine. :-)

I think it runs in the family. Both of my parents are still that way about
foods they don't like. So it doesn't bother me at all.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> "Cheri" > wrote in message
> > The point being, the kid doesn't have to eat it, but isn't allowed to do
> > the "ewwwwwwwwwww, that's awful, yuk"...thing. A little bit of that
> > definitely goes a long way, and might even result in a tweaked ear if the
> > kid was mine. :-)

> I think it runs in the family. Both of my parents are still that way about
> foods they don't like. So it doesn't bother me at all.

It's bad manners. One may become accustomed to it, and even follow the
example and do it oneself, but it's still bad manners.

PP
- Chris Malcolm
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article
Peppermint Patootie > wrote:

> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
> > "Cheri" > wrote in message
> > > The point being, the kid doesn't have to eat it, but isn't allowed to do
> > > the "ewwwwwwwwwww, that's awful, yuk"...thing. A little bit of that
> > > definitely goes a long way, and might even result in a tweaked ear if the
> > > kid was mine. :-)

> > I think it runs in the family. Both of my parents are still that way about
> > foods they don't like. So it doesn't bother me at all.

> It's bad manners. One may become accustomed to it, and even follow the
> example and do it oneself, but it's still bad manners.

Agreed.

--
"Isn't embarrassing to quote something you didn't read and then attack
what it didn't say?"--WG, where else but Usenet
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 17:54:52 -0400, Peppermint Patootie
> wrote:

>In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> "Cheri" > wrote in message
>> > The point being, the kid doesn't have to eat it, but isn't allowed to do
>> > the "ewwwwwwwwwww, that's awful, yuk"...thing. A little bit of that
>> > definitely goes a long way, and might even result in a tweaked ear if the
>> > kid was mine. :-)

>> I think it runs in the family. Both of my parents are still that way about
>> foods they don't like. So it doesn't bother me at all.

>It's bad manners. One may become accustomed to it, and even follow the
>example and do it oneself, but it's still bad manners.
>
>PP

Yes it is. I particulary hate it when something I love and enjoy is
given the "eww" treatment by someone else. They should simply
remain silent if they don't like something, but not call it
"disgusting" and such. Say you don't care for it, but not to make
the other person look like a jerk for liking something you think is
"disgusting".

Evelyn

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message

> Yes it is. I particulary hate it when something I love and enjoy is
> given the "eww" treatment by someone else. They should simply
> remain silent if they don't like something, but not call it
> "disgusting" and such. Say you don't care for it, but not to make
> the other person look like a jerk for liking something you think is
> "disgusting".
>
> Evelyn

It's the height of rudeness IMO, especially when someone takes the time to
post a recipe. Discussions about substitutions etc. are one thing, but "eww"
and other crass remarks are not needed.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 17:56:31 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Evelyn" > wrote in message
.. .

>> Yes it is. I particulary hate it when something I love and enjoy is
>> given the "eww" treatment by someone else. They should simply
>> remain silent if they don't like something, but not call it
>> "disgusting" and such. Say you don't care for it, but not to make
>> the other person look like a jerk for liking something you think is
>> "disgusting".
>>
>> Evelyn

>It's the height of rudeness IMO, especially when someone takes the time to
>post a recipe. Discussions about substitutions etc. are one thing, but "eww"
>and other crass remarks are not needed.
>
>Cheri

AMEN!
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i am sure its totally emotional on my part as i love most all other beans...
and cornbread? any way except too sweet. not to hot on the onions but greens
are excellent, Lee
"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> my parents were fairly easy going and liberal on most things, we had very
>> few rules, but those we had were not allowed to be breaeched, he said to
>> me later, that if my mother went to the effort to fix food, that the
>> least i could do is respect the effort and not influence the younger
>> two's opinion... and of course he was right... just about five years ago,
>> i brought up the fact he made me eat black eyed peas, mom had a pot on
>> the stove... the man looked at me and said" why on earth would i make you
>> eat something that tasted like wood and smelled worse... i almost fell
>> out of my chair in shock... the dh laughed so hard he almost threw up...
>> so i told him what he had said about respecting mom... he said, ok it was
>> probably worth it... then she set the peas down on the table, and he
>> said, well... wheres the pepper, and ate it, lol, Lee... who had corn
>> bread and greens only without even gagging out loud

> You're talking about one of my favorite meals, black-eyed peas and white
> grainy cornbread with red onions on top. My kids never liked them, so I
> never made them eat them. My daughter is in Alabama now, and she makes
> them for her hubby, but she said she still doesn't like them. mmmmmmmmmm
> Those were the good days since I only make them on New Years now.
>
> Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

not judging your deciion, just sorta commenting on differences in raising,
she is your offspring and you must do what you think is best for her. lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> man when my mom cooked we ate it or did without, we all had different
>> allergies, and with four of us she really worked at making food we could
>> all eat as a family, once and only once did i snarl my nose at something
>> , my dad made me eat what seemed like a ton of black eyed peas, he said,
>> "if your mother cooked it... the least you can do is pass it without
>> comment, you are not allowed to disrespect her efforts for any reason..."
>> after that if i had to hold my breath to get something passed me i did...
>> he was not in the habit of making us take food we didn't want to eat,
>>

> I do not think it is proper to make a kid eat something with alcohol, if
> the kid refuses it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 4/15/2011 2:29 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> > wrote in message
>> man when my mom cooked we ate it or did without, we all had different
>> allergies, and with four of us she really worked at making food we could
>> all eat as a family, once and only once did i snarl my nose at something ,
>> my dad made me eat what seemed like a ton of black eyed peas, he said, "if
>> your mother cooked it... the least you can do is pass it without comment,
>> you are not allowed to disrespect her efforts for any reason..." after
>> that if i had to hold my breath to get something passed me i did... he was
>> not in the habit of making us take food we didn't want to eat,
>>

> I do not think it is proper to make a kid eat something with alcohol, if the
> kid refuses it.

Julie, you know when you cook with alcohol, you ONLY get the flavour?
the alcohol 'burns off' in the simmering?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 23:31:14 -0600, Tiger Lily > wrote:

>On 4/15/2011 2:29 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>>> man when my mom cooked we ate it or did without, we all had different
>>> allergies, and with four of us she really worked at making food we could
>>> all eat as a family, once and only once did i snarl my nose at something ,
>>> my dad made me eat what seemed like a ton of black eyed peas, he said, "if
>>> your mother cooked it... the least you can do is pass it without comment,
>>> you are not allowed to disrespect her efforts for any reason..." after
>>> that if i had to hold my breath to get something passed me i did... he was
>>> not in the habit of making us take food we didn't want to eat,
>>>

>> I do not think it is proper to make a kid eat something with alcohol, if the
>> kid refuses it.

>Julie, you know when you cook with alcohol, you ONLY get the flavour?
>the alcohol 'burns off' in the simmering?

I explained that to her.

She allows Angela to tell her how to cook and what to put in it. It's
her child, her deal. She can do what she wants.

Evelyn
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 4/16/2011 5:31 AM, Evelyn wrote:

>>> I do not think it is proper to make a kid eat something with alcohol, if the
>>> kid refuses it.

>> Julie, you know when you cook with alcohol, you ONLY get the flavour?
>> the alcohol 'burns off' in the simmering?

> I explained that to her.
>
> She allows Angela to tell her how to cook and what to put in it. It's
> her child, her deal. She can do what she wants.
>
> Evelyn

lol

teenlet doesn't even know when a splash of sherry goes into the stroganoff

i do it for the flavour, and he likes it, and now that he's older, he's
more willing to 'experiment' with different foods KNOWINGLY this time round

tee hee

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 10:39:13 -0600, Tiger Lily > wrote:

>On 4/16/2011 5:31 AM, Evelyn wrote:

>>> Julie, you know when you cook with alcohol, you ONLY get the flavour?
>>> the alcohol 'burns off' in the simmering?

>> I explained that to her.
>>
>> She allows Angela to tell her how to cook and what to put in it. It's
>> her child, her deal. She can do what she wants.
>>
>> Evelyn

>lol
>
>teenlet doesn't even know when a splash of sherry goes into the stroganoff
>
>i do it for the flavour, and he likes it, and now that he's older, he's
>more willing to 'experiment' with different foods KNOWINGLY this time round
>
>tee hee
>
>kate

When I had my kids at home (they are all grown up now) I would make
stuff, put it on the table, and never discuss each and every
ingredient with them for approval or disapproval. They either ate it
or they didn't. If they didn't like it, I didn't make it again, or
else made some other contingency plan when I did.

I never felt it was right to force them, or to make a big deal out of
it either. The less of a big deal about it, the more open minded
they were. Fortunately they all eat everything now that they are
adults, with the exception of my daughter who has always hated
mushrooms.

Anyone is entitled to an honest dislike or two. As for me, I
absolutely cannot stand little green lima beans. I dislike them
intensely. The big limagrands, the dried ones that make a wonderful
soup are different. Those I enjoy.

For the most part I eat everything... and that JUST may be my worst
problem :-)
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message
news
> On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 10:39:13 -0600, Tiger Lily > wrote:

>>> I explained that to her.
>>>
>>> She allows Angela to tell her how to cook and what to put in it. It's
>>> her child, her deal. She can do what she wants.
>>>
>>> Evelyn

>>lol
>>
>>teenlet doesn't even know when a splash of sherry goes into the stroganoff
>>
>>i do it for the flavour, and he likes it, and now that he's older, he's
>>more willing to 'experiment' with different foods KNOWINGLY this time
>>round
>>
>>tee hee
>>
>>kate

> When I had my kids at home (they are all grown up now) I would make
> stuff, put it on the table, and never discuss each and every
> ingredient with them for approval or disapproval. They either ate it
> or they didn't. If they didn't like it, I didn't make it again, or
> else made some other contingency plan when I did.
>
> I never felt it was right to force them, or to make a big deal out of
> it either. The less of a big deal about it, the more open minded
> they were. Fortunately they all eat everything now that they are
> adults, with the exception of my daughter who has always hated
> mushrooms.
>
> Anyone is entitled to an honest dislike or two. As for me, I
> absolutely cannot stand little green lima beans. I dislike them
> intensely. The big limagrands, the dried ones that make a wonderful
> soup are different. Those I enjoy.

With me, it's really two things...beets and any kind of sweet potato.
And...my kids either ate things or they didn't, but I never discussed
dinner choices with them until they became older, and then mostly on special
occasions. There was always a PBJ sandwich and a glass of milk to be made if
they hated what I made.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 10:07:07 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Evelyn" > wrote in message
>news

>>>lol
>>>
>>>teenlet doesn't even know when a splash of sherry goes into the stroganoff
>>>
>>>i do it for the flavour, and he likes it, and now that he's older, he's
>>>more willing to 'experiment' with different foods KNOWINGLY this time
>>>round
>>>
>>>tee hee
>>>
>>>kate

>> When I had my kids at home (they are all grown up now) I would make
>> stuff, put it on the table, and never discuss each and every
>> ingredient with them for approval or disapproval. They either ate it
>> or they didn't. If they didn't like it, I didn't make it again, or
>> else made some other contingency plan when I did.
>>
>> I never felt it was right to force them, or to make a big deal out of
>> it either. The less of a big deal about it, the more open minded
>> they were. Fortunately they all eat everything now that they are
>> adults, with the exception of my daughter who has always hated
>> mushrooms.
>>
>> Anyone is entitled to an honest dislike or two. As for me, I
>> absolutely cannot stand little green lima beans. I dislike them
>> intensely. The big limagrands, the dried ones that make a wonderful
>> soup are different. Those I enjoy.

>With me, it's really two things...beets and any kind of sweet potato.
>And...my kids either ate things or they didn't, but I never discussed
>dinner choices with them until they became older, and then mostly on special
>occasions. There was always a PBJ sandwich and a glass of milk to be made if
>they hated what I made.
>

>Cheri

Exactly. No big deal.

Evelyn

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 4/16/2011 5:31 AM, Evelyn wrote:
>> On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 23:31:14 -0600, Tiger >
>> wrote:

>>> Julie, you know when you cook with alcohol, you ONLY get the
>>> flavour?
>>> the alcohol 'burns off' in the simmering?

>> I explained that to her.
>>
>> She allows Angela to tell her how to cook and what to put in it.
>> It's
>> her child, her deal. She can do what she wants.
>>
>> Evelyn

> lol
>
> teenlet doesn't even know when a splash of sherry goes into the
> stroganoff

Mine don't even know what I put in a meal unless they visually see
something they don't like. My 20 year old for example picks out bits of
mushroom, capsicum and onion. Sometimes I put dried onion in things and
he doesn't complain, so its not the taste I guess but the texture,
dunno - lol. He accused me of putting onion in his salad the other day
but it was purple cabbage.... I find if the kids leave stuff on their
plates they are into cereal an hour later.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 21:12:41 -0400, Boomer wrote
(in article >):

I have been taking 900 mg per day of RALA now for about 2 months. A
> little while ago I think it finally kicked in. It is lowering my BG a lot
> better than metformin ever did. I have to take this medication with food or
> I get terrible acid reflux. That means I cannot go by a clock. I remember
> you recommended this drug as an idea for me to try. I did and the acid
> reflux made me stop. I decided to give it another go by taking it with food.
> That works.

Michael, a while ago I think that I suggested that you try the brand of ALA
that Susan had recommended to me. I had stopped taking the ALA because of
the heartburn. Her suggestion was to try the Jarrow Sustain ALA. It works
very well and I have never had any discomfort with it. It's been a lifesaver
for me

TaniO

> Michael

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 4/16/2011 11:07 AM, Cheri wrote:
> "Evelyn" > wrote in message
> news

>>> lol
>>>
>>> teenlet doesn't even know when a splash of sherry goes into the
>>> stroganoff
>>>
>>> i do it for the flavour, and he likes it, and now that he's older, he's
>>> more willing to 'experiment' with different foods KNOWINGLY this time
>>> round
>>>
>>> tee hee
>>>
>>> kate

>> When I had my kids at home (they are all grown up now) I would make
>> stuff, put it on the table, and never discuss each and every
>> ingredient with them for approval or disapproval. They either ate it
>> or they didn't. If they didn't like it, I didn't make it again, or
>> else made some other contingency plan when I did.
>>
>> I never felt it was right to force them, or to make a big deal out of
>> it either. The less of a big deal about it, the more open minded
>> they were. Fortunately they all eat everything now that they are
>> adults, with the exception of my daughter who has always hated
>> mushrooms.
>>
>> Anyone is entitled to an honest dislike or two. As for me, I
>> absolutely cannot stand little green lima beans. I dislike them
>> intensely. The big limagrands, the dried ones that make a wonderful
>> soup are different. Those I enjoy.

> With me, it's really two things...beets and any kind of sweet potato.
> And...my kids either ate things or they didn't, but I never discussed
> dinner choices with them until they became older, and then mostly on
> special occasions. There was always a PBJ sandwich and a glass of milk
> to be made if they hated what I made.
>

> Cheri

i'm giggling here

i DETEST lima beans (about the only food i avoid not due to allergies LOL)

and teenlet is more than welcome to make himself a pb&j sammy or grilled
cheese or............ whatever he pleases.......... after he tries ONE
bite, even if it's a small bite, of the food being offered

oddly enough, we don't even ask him if he's hungry or what he wants
anymore, he's a big boy

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 4/16/2011 5:28 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message

>>> I explained that to her.
>>>
>>> She allows Angela to tell her how to cook and what to put in it. It's
>>> her child, her deal. She can do what she wants.
>>>
>>> Evelyn

>> lol
>>
>> teenlet doesn't even know when a splash of sherry goes into the
>> stroganoff
>>

> Mine don't even know what I put in a meal unless they visually see
> something they don't like. My 20 year old for example picks out bits of
> mushroom, capsicum and onion. Sometimes I put dried onion in things and
> he doesn't complain, so its not the taste I guess but the texture, dunno
> - lol. He accused me of putting onion in his salad the other day but it
> was purple cabbage.... I find if the kids leave stuff on their plates
> they are into cereal an hour later.

years ago the pediatrician told me to 'blenderize to liquid' all
'offensive material' like she did with her husband

they don't 'see' it, they don't complain

i think it's a texture, not a taste issue

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

my mom cooked it, we ate or didn't, but there was no contengency... but then
my mom always had enough variety, that if one wanted to eat there were
always enough things to choose from... even on hamburger and fries nights,
not too often, there were hamburgers, hotdogs, two kinds of buns for each,
fries, you added your own salt and condiments, two/three kinds of cheeses,
chili and often grilled onions... also salad and spinach and green beans...

news