Old 13-04-2011, 03:14 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Butter on green beans?

W. Baker wrote:
Julie Bove wrote:
I love green beans. I bought a steamer bag of fresh green beans and
made them for dinner tonight. Normally I just steam them and eat
them. But the directions said to put butter, salt and pepper on
them. I also read of a recipe in a magazine that called for butter
and parmesan cheese on them. Now once in a while I have made green
beans or beans and carrots with a little olive oil. But never
butter. But I decided to try it.

I didn't like it! I didn't like it at all! Maybe it's because I
grew up eating plain vegetables. Mostly they were canned but once
in a while they were fresh. My grandma did make beans with bacon in
them, but I only remember having those a few times.

So... Do you put butter on your beans? I think the only veggie I
ever put butter on is potatoes. I don't even like it on corn. Once
in a while on popcorn, but usually I even prefer that without.

I never put butter on vegetables and my mother never did. As most of
our meals withstriing beans meals had meat, butter would nt have been
considered.

I do not like buttered vegetables and, like you, I believe it is
because it is not what I grew up with.

I eat, and enjoy many foods I did not grow up with, but somehow I
prefer my vegetables plain, unless in some kind of dish like
ratatouie(sp?) or those great Greek stringbeans in tasty tomato based
sauce, or Chinese, etc.

I did have zucchini that I liked in a diner in NJ. They were stewed in
tomato sauce. I do not normally like zucchini and have never had any stewed
since that I liked. And I tried a lot of recipes.

Old 13-04-2011, 03:35 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

thanks, Lee
"Julie Bove" wrote in message
Storrmmee wrote:
what is this cholesterol lowering margarine you all are speaking
of... don't have that issue but am very curious

Here it is Benecol.

Old 13-04-2011, 09:12 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

I detest veggies but have discovered if I hard fry them in a tiny bit of fat
then add chicken/beef stock and cover they become delicious.

its sort of the same way one cooks a pot sticker.

this method removes any bitterness and sulphuric flavors most veggies have
to my taste buds

KROM
..

I love plain veggies, but you're missing something major if you've never
tried putting lemon juice and butter on broccoli. It's magic.

I like butter on veggies, but I like them fine without it, too.
Unsalted, full fat, sweet cream cultured pastured butter these days.

Susan

Old 13-04-2011, 10:03 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"KROM" wrote in message ...
I detest veggies but have discovered if I hard fry them in a tiny bit of
fat then add chicken/beef stock and cover they become delicious.

its sort of the same way one cooks a pot sticker.

this method removes any bitterness and sulphuric flavors most veggies have
to my taste buds

The only vegetable that is bitter to me is broccoli and it remains bitter no
matter how it is cooked.

Old 13-04-2011, 11:19 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article ,
"Julie Bove" wrote:

I love green beans. I bought a steamer bag of fresh green beans and made
them for dinner tonight. Normally I just steam them and eat them. But the
directions said to put butter, salt and pepper on them. I also read of a
recipe in a magazine that called for butter and parmesan cheese on them.
Now once in a while I have made green beans or beans and carrots with a
little olive oil. But never butter. But I decided to try it.

I didn't like it! I didn't like it at all! Maybe it's because I grew up
eating plain vegetables. Mostly they were canned but once in a while they
were fresh. My grandma did make beans with bacon in them, but I only
remember having those a few times.

So... Do you put butter on your beans? I think the only veggie I ever put
butter on is potatoes. I don't even like it on corn. Once in a while on
popcorn, but usually I even prefer that without.

Absolutely, always with butter and some herbs/salt/pepper, unless I've
sauteed them with olive oil and garlic. (Also, always real butter, not
margarine, which some people insist on calling butter.)

--
"Isn't embarrassing to quote something you didn't read and then attack
what it didn't say?"--WG, where else but Usenet

Old 14-04-2011, 12:02 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 22:37:39 -0700, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

I love green beans. I bought a steamer bag of fresh green beans and made
them for dinner tonight. Normally I just steam them and eat them. But the
directions said to put butter, salt and pepper on them. I also read of a
recipe in a magazine that called for butter and parmesan cheese on them.
Now once in a while I have made green beans or beans and carrots with a
little olive oil. But never butter. But I decided to try it.

I didn't like it! I didn't like it at all! Maybe it's because I grew up
eating plain vegetables. Mostly they were canned but once in a while they
were fresh. My grandma did make beans with bacon in them, but I only
remember having those a few times.

So... Do you put butter on your beans? I think the only veggie I ever put
butter on is potatoes. I don't even like it on corn. Once in a while on
popcorn, but usually I even prefer that without.

I prepare green beans in several different ways.

Salt pepper and butter is one way.

Onions sauteed in butter with salt and pepper, then add the cooked
beans and toss.... that's another.

italian style is with garlic, onion, canned tomatoes, olive oil and
oregano and basil.... all cooked together. That's another way.

Evelyn
Old 14-04-2011, 12:06 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 07:14:17 -0700, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

W. Baker wrote:
Julie Bove wrote:
[...]

I take raw zucchini and cut it up (skin on) into a small pot.
Add a can of canned tomatoes.
Chop an onion and add it to the pot.
Cut up a couple of cloves of garlic and add that too.
Add a couple of tablespoons worth of olive oil
Add a splash of Marsala wine.

Salt, Pepper, red pepper flakes, oregano, basil, and parsley.

Simmer till the zucchini is tender. It is absolutely delicious this
way.

Evelyn
Old 14-04-2011, 12:20 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote:

[...]

Lovely, that's how I often cook zuchini, but not stewed as I think Alice
mentioned AL dente, lol. Helps to cook the sauce first to mix the
flavours then add the zuchini (and often green capsicum, bell pepper)and
leave in only long enough to be cooked but still crisp.

Nice as a side or over a nice veal steak or chop.

Old 14-04-2011, 12:25 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

news
wrote:

W. Baker wrote:
Julie Bove wrote:
[...]

Even better if the last thing added, as you take it off the stove, is a
slurp of a very strong flavoured olive oil. I do that with beef spagetti
sauce at the last minute too. The flavour tends to cook away if you add
it whilst cooking. When I was 2 we had the good fortune of living right
across the road from a newly migrated Italian family. Over the years I
was invited to eat there a lot and witness them cooking. That's where
I picked up the olive oil trick. There house always had the yummiest
smells and their kitchen chairs always had home made spagetti hanging
over the backs of them.

Old 14-04-2011, 12:39 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 09:25:15 +1000, "Ozgirl"
wrote:

news
wrote:

W. Baker wrote:
Julie Bove wrote:
[...]

Great trick, yes!

Evelyn

Old 14-04-2011, 01:46 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

news
wrote:

W. Baker wrote:
Julie Bove wrote:
[...]

Hmmm... I've never tried it with wine.

Where do you buy the Marsala? I tried looking in a few stores and they
didn't have it.

Old 14-04-2011, 01:55 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" wrote in message
..

Even better if the last thing added, as you take it off the stove, is a
slurp of a very strong flavoured olive oil. I do that with beef spagetti
sauce at the last minute too. The flavour tends to cook away if you add it
whilst cooking. When I was 2 we had the good fortune of living right
across the road from a newly migrated Italian family. Over the years I was
invited to eat there a lot and witness them cooking. That's where I
picked up the olive oil trick. There house always had the yummiest smells
and their kitchen chairs always had home made spagetti hanging over the
backs of them.

I had an Italian roommate who was a horrible cook. When she would invite
her boyfriend over for dinner, he would call me and ask if I was cooking or
she was. He would only come if I was cooking.

When she made spaghetti sauce, she fried the hell out of the dry spices
using most likely Wesson oil. In those days I didn't even know about olive
oil and never had it in the house.

After the spices had been nicely charred and there was a thin trail of smoke
wafting through the house, she would add the meat and then eventually the
tomato sauce.

She also had a fondness for Worcestershire sauce and added it to pretty much
everything including carrots. Her boyfriend told me she did this to
disguise the taste of the food in case it was actually spoiled. He said she
had a habit of serving spoiled food. After he told me this I frequently
went through the fridge and tossed out any suspects.

Eventually I learned that the real problem was that she could not read. She
liked to look at my cookbooks. She didn't own any herself. She would look
for things that showed pictures and would try by looking at the picture to
find out what was in there. She would then have to guess at the method for
cooking it.

She kept telling me about this wonderful polenta that her mother made and
how she would make it for me one day but it required hours of standing over
the stove and stirring it. She spoke of it like it was a magical dish but I
now know otherwise.

One odd thing I discovered about my Italian in-laws is that they seem not to
use olive oil in their cooking. My MIL never had any in the house. She
would buy some cheap store brand of cooking oil and she used that for
everything.

Several of the relatives told me how to cook the eggs and peppers that my
husband likes (and that they seem to eat pretty much every day for lunch).
They told me to use whatever oil I have in the house.

I generally keep Extra Virgin and Light Olive Oil and corn oil. I don't use
the corn oil very often at all.

Old 14-04-2011, 01:57 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote:

[...]

I like onions in them too. I had forgotten I made a potato recipe once that
had green beans and red peppers in it as well. Also onions, I think. It
was very good. Will have to look for that one again.

Old 14-04-2011, 03:26 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 17:46:04 -0700, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

news
wrote:

W. Baker wrote:
Julie Bove wrote:
[...]

Julie, I buy it in any liquor store. Just ask for it. It is near
the dessert wines. It's quite delicious and I use it in all my
Italian cooking.

Evelyn