Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Interesting article about protein!

http://michaelbluejay.com/veg/protein.html

Don't know if it's true or not but I like it!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> http://michaelbluejay.com/veg/protein.html
>
> Don't know if it's true or not but I like it!

Last time I saw protein recommendations they were higher than what I was
used to. I was going by the RDA for a woman my age for years then
suddenly a larger RDA was the order of the day. I think a lot of
diabetics who are eating relatively low carb would need to get the
majority of their protein from meat and fish and possibly cheese.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> http://michaelbluejay.com/veg/protein.html
>>
>> Don't know if it's true or not but I like it!

> Last time I saw protein recommendations they were higher than what I was
> used to. I was going by the RDA for a woman my age for years then suddenly
> a larger RDA was the order of the day. I think a lot of diabetics who are
> eating relatively low carb would need to get the majority of their protein
> from meat and fish and possibly cheese.

Could be. I spent many years as a vegetarian and ate a heck of a lot less
protein (that I knew about) than I do know. I used to think that the only
plant protein was in nuts, seeds and beans. And I assumed that I had to eat
a grain to make the beans be a complete protein.

Now I see that all those lunches I had of a vegetable plate (three different
kinds of vegetables) weren't so bad after all!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> http://michaelbluejay.com/veg/protein.html

If it's true how do children get Kwashiorkor?
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> http://michaelbluejay.com/veg/protein.html

> If it's true how do children get Kwashiorkor?

Who are you and what's that?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>>
>>> http://michaelbluejay.com/veg/protein.html

>> If it's true how do children get Kwashiorkor?

> Who are you and what's that?

Okay I looked it up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kwashiorkor

It's rare in developing countries and can come about with a diet that is
high in starches and low in protein. Starches. But they were not specific.
So maybe stuff like rice, bread and pasta? You know...non-vegetable stuff.
Because the link I posted was about vegetables.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Thu, 17 Mar 2011 20:53:28 -0800, Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds wrote:

> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> http://michaelbluejay.com/veg/protein.html

> If it's true how do children get Kwashiorkor?

Partly because Cassava contains at most 2% protein, and partly because
there are other factors involved than lack of protein.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Bj?rn Steensrud > wrote:
: On Thu, 17 Mar 2011 20:53:28 -0800, Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds wrote:

: > In article >,
: > "Julie Bove" > wrote:
: >
: >> http://michaelbluejay.com/veg/protein.html
: >
: > If it's true how do children get Kwashiorkor?

: Partly because Cassava contains at most 2% protein, and partly because
: there are other factors involved than lack of protein.

Like a general lack of food, also called starvation.
I remember those pictures of the kids in Biafra during that war in
Nigeria.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> "Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> >
> >> http://michaelbluejay.com/veg/protein.html

> > If it's true how do children get Kwashiorkor?

> Who are you

How does that matter?

and what's that?
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> "Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message

>> > If it's true how do children get Kwashiorkor?

>> Who are you

> How does that matter?

Because I don't recall seeing you here before.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> "Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message
> > In article >,

> >> Who are you

> > How does that matter?

> Because I don't recall seeing you here before.

You're probably correct, but I don't see it as common on newsgroups to ask that
particular question of a new poster.

Consider me an infrequent lurker with the possibility that I will get more
involved...or just someone who thought I had an interesting question

or I suppose I should just ask you who you are? But I won't.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> "Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message

>> > How does that matter?

>> Because I don't recall seeing you here before.

> You're probably correct, but I don't see it as common on newsgroups to ask
> that
> particular question of a new poster.
>
> Consider me an infrequent lurker with the possibility that I will get more
> involved...or just someone who thought I had an interesting question

Okay...

> or I suppose I should just ask you who you are? But I won't.

I've been here since 1997.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 18 Mar 2011 21:06:28 -0700, Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds wrote:

[snip]

> Consider me an infrequent lurker with the possibility that I will get
> more involved...or just someone who thought I had an interesting
> question

You did, which led me to the Wikipedia about kwashiorkor and further into
nutrition information. I've seen kassava in some shops here, but at 38%
carbs and the danger of cyanide poisoning unless properly prepared I
think I'll pass. Oh, found a bread with only 18% carbs, should be okay
for an evening snack!

> or I suppose I should just ask you who you are? But I won't.

You'll find out.
Member

my opinion is that protein is overrated. i think the body needs amino acids, which comprise protein. Amino acids are everywhere in food, also in plants. when we eat meat, the body breaks the animal proteins first before absorbing the amino acids. might as well eat amino acids in plants - healthier.

but it sure as hell doesn't taste as good as an inch-thick bloody steak!

on a side note, I think the whole protein hype and myth was started by meat producers. It's a billion-dollar industry world wide. I'm sure they have the money and the power to start a myth or two.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"chefkaren" > wrote in message

> my opinion is that protein is overrated. i think the body needs amino
> acids, which comprise protein. Amino acids are everywhere in food, also
> in plants. when we eat meat, the body breaks the animal proteins first
> before absorbing the amino acids. might as well eat amino acids in
> plants - healthier.
>
> but it sure as hell doesn't taste as good as an inch-thick bloody steak!
>

> on a side note, I think the whole protein hype and myth was started by
> meat producers. It's a billion-dollar industry world wide. I'm sure they
> have the money and the power to start a myth or two.

Yeah, like the whole grain myth was started by grain producers? And the meat
is bad for you myth was started by groups like PETA etc., You mean like
that?

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

my opinion is that since my father raises cattle for a living i shall
refrain from both lambasting you with my sailor talk capable mouth and i
will also refrain from relaying facts as most here already know them, Lee
"chefkaren" > wrote in message

> my opinion is that protein is overrated. i think the body needs amino
> acids, which comprise protein. Amino acids are everywhere in food, also
> in plants. when we eat meat, the body breaks the animal proteins first
> before absorbing the amino acids. might as well eat amino acids in
> plants - healthier.
>
> but it sure as hell doesn't taste as good as an inch-thick bloody steak!
>

> on a side note, I think the whole protein hype and myth was started by
> meat producers. It's a billion-dollar industry world wide. I'm sure they
> have the money and the power to start a myth or two.
>

> --
> chefkaren

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"chefkaren" > wrote in message

> my opinion is that protein is overrated. i think the body needs amino
> acids, which comprise protein. Amino acids are everywhere in food,
> also
> in plants. when we eat meat, the body breaks the animal proteins first
> before absorbing the amino acids. might as well eat amino acids in
> plants - healthier.
>
> but it sure as hell doesn't taste as good as an inch-thick bloody
> steak!
>

> on a side note, I think the whole protein hype and myth was started by
> meat producers. It's a billion-dollar industry world wide. I'm sure
> they
> have the money and the power to start a myth or two.

I don't think so. Anyway the research is out there regarding how much
protein the body needs, independent research. Most pro plant food amino
acid literature comes from vegetarian websites and books not medical
sites.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"chefkaren" > wrote in message

> my opinion is that protein is overrated. i think the body needs amino
> acids, which comprise protein. Amino acids are everywhere in food, also
> in plants. when we eat meat, the body breaks the animal proteins first
> before absorbing the amino acids. might as well eat amino acids in
> plants - healthier.
>
> but it sure as hell doesn't taste as good as an inch-thick bloody steak!
>

> on a side note, I think the whole protein hype and myth was started by
> meat producers. It's a billion-dollar industry world wide. I'm sure they
> have the money and the power to start a myth or two.

That very well could be.

Interesting GMO article [email protected] General Cooking 164 05-09-2014 10:42 PM
Interesting article Evelyn Diabetic 2 07-10-2009 10:20 AM
An Interesting Article.. Bob Terwilliger[_1_] General Cooking 15 08-08-2009 10:30 PM
An Interesting Article.. TammyM[_3_] General Cooking 0 03-08-2009 05:26 PM
An Interesting Article.. Orlando Enrique Fiol General Cooking 1 03-08-2009 05:42 AM