Old 17-03-2011, 10:05 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Tonight's dinner

"Ozgirl" wrote in message
I recall we only had the cloves in the ham not the cherries and pineapple
but I have seen pics of it like you describe. I don't mind cloves, I put
it in stewed apples.

I did that huge ham with the pineapples, cherries and cloves that time when
I threw my back out taking it out of the oven. And then nobody ate it. I
didn't know that my husband didn't like ham. I hate it.

Old 17-03-2011, 10:15 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"RodS" wrote in message
On 18/03/2011 7:14 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
Ozgirl wrote:

There is very little sugar in cinnamon sugar compared to cinnamon.
And I don't put much on. Lucky if 1/8 teaspoon is sugar. But we
didn't invent this. It became popular here after the introduction of
American style steakhouses.

That's weird because our steakhouses don't serve sweet potatoes at all.
They serve French fries, steak fries and baked potatoes.

We also have Outback Steakhouse, purportedly an Austrailian style place
with
Bloomin' Onions. This is an onion cut to look like a flower, battered
and
deep fried. Quite nasty and greasy it is.

I have heard about that place I don't think there is too many Aussies
involved with it, I haven't heard an Aussie say "blooming" since umm ummm
*ever* :-) Now if they were Bloody onions, that would show an Aussie
involved in it somewhere.

Eeeeeew.

Old 17-03-2011, 10:36 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Thu, 17 Mar 2011 15:04:10 -0700, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

"RodS" wrote in message
On 18/03/2011 12:05 AM, W. Baker wrote:
wrote:

: wrote in message
: ...
: On 17/03/2011 10:58 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

: My mom always made the canned ones, mashed with marshmallows on the
: top. I
: always thought I hated them because of the marshmallows.
:
: Never seen canned sweet potato, never put marshmallow on a vegetable
: either, WHY would anyone put marshmallow on vegetables ? I must have
: led a sheltered life :-) Baked with butter and pinch of cinnamon
: sugar, nothing nicer.

: Bought KFC for the kids tonight and they now have sweet potato fries.
: Everyone but me was buying them.
: Might be tempted to try them one day.. I can't imagine canned sweet
: potato. As to the marshmallows, I'll have to keep imagining it Did
: someone one day just say, oh what the heck, I am putting marshmallows
on
: my sweet potato?

The marshmallow dish is a cassaarole of mashed sweet potatoes, often
sweetened with brown sugar and/or pineapple juice, which is topped with
teh marshmallows adn baked. This is often a holiday dish, like for
thansgiving. Very sweet, as you can see. Not oneof y favorites even in
pre-diabetes days, but very popular as the holidays dish, like pumpkin
pie. My moher used to not use the marshmallows, but put slices of
pineapple on top.

Another holiday dish popular in the USA is that string bean cassarole
made
with cream of mushroom soup and ccanned french fried onions.

Something else never seen here (at least I never have) a bit like canned
chicken and canned pumpkin also never seen and hard to imagine. What other
novel things do you lot put in a can :-) I *have* seen fried grasshoppers,
not a big seller though.

Why is canned chicken hard to imagine? It was a common thing to make during
the depression.

They have canned chicken breast meat in short fat cans in Sam's Club.
It is a nice easy meal to make in a hurry. Good to make a fast
chicken salad out of.

Evelyn
Old 17-03-2011, 11:13 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" wrote in message

They have canned chicken breast meat in short fat cans in Sam's Club.
It is a nice easy meal to make in a hurry. Good to make a fast
chicken salad out of.

Angela loves it with the Costco brand sesame dressing, some kind of greens,
baby carrots and black olives.

I like the single serve cans for a quick meal for her. If I don't make the
salad, then I just add some rice, pasta or potatoes.

Also good for soup when you are to sick to really cook anything.

Old 18-03-2011, 12:43 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

RodS wrote:
: On 18/03/2011 12:05 AM, W. Baker wrote:
: wrote:
:
:
: : wrote in message
: : ...
: : On 17/03/2011 10:58 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
:
: : My mom always made the canned ones, mashed with marshmallows on the
: : top. I
: : always thought I hated them because of the marshmallows.
: :
[...]

: (- -)
: =m=(_)=m=
: RodS T2
: Australia

Remember that in the US, pupkin refers only to the one kind of winter hard
shelled squash that is used eithe rfor Jack-O'Lanterns or Pumpkin pie.
this is the kind that is found in cans so aas to make making the pie
easier.

Canned chicken strikes me as the pits too, but in books on home canning
there are recipes for canning all kinds of meat. I assume these come from
teh days when there was no refrigeration and was one way to preserve meat
after slaughter .

The french fried onions are almost a snack kind of food, greasy and crisp
with a batter to us either alone or as a crunchy topping for something
like that string bean casserole. Not really considered a real food.

They you guys do have Vegemite. One can never acount for national
preferecnes:-)

Wendy
Old 18-03-2011, 01:24 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"RodS" wrote in message
On 18/03/2011 12:05 AM, W. Baker wrote:
wrote:

: wrote in message
: ...
[...]

I have seen the canned chicken here, only once but quite recently. I had
no urge to buy it

Old 18-03-2011, 01:27 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"RodS" wrote in message
On 18/03/2011 12:05 AM, W. Baker wrote:
wrote:

: wrote in message
: ...
[...]

Heh, not here When I was very young I was rooting through a kitchen
drawer and found some ration stamps one was for sugar, I think the
other tea. I wish I had them now for memorabilia. My family (parents,
grandparents etc) lived mostly on bread and dripping and the few items
they could buy with stamps. Canned chicken would have been the biggest
treat on earth for Australians during the depression.

Old 18-03-2011, 01:29 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Evelyn" wrote in message

They have canned chicken breast meat in short fat cans in Sam's Club.
It is a nice easy meal to make in a hurry. Good to make a fast
chicken salad out of.

Angela loves it with the Costco brand sesame dressing, some kind of
greens, baby carrots and black olives.

I like the single serve cans for a quick meal for her. If I don't
make the salad, then I just add some rice, pasta or potatoes.

Also good for soup when you are to sick to really cook anything.

The thought of eating that when well is enough to make me toss my
bikkies

Old 18-03-2011, 01:45 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" wrote in message

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"RodS" wrote in message
On 18/03/2011 12:05 AM, W. Baker wrote:
wrote:

: wrote in message
: ...
[...]

I had some ration tokens, but the box they were in didn't seem to make it
here when we moved. Neither did my yearbooks or scrapbook. No great loss
really since I never really looked at those things.

Old 18-03-2011, 01:46 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" wrote in message

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Evelyn" wrote in message

They have canned chicken breast meat in short fat cans in Sam's Club.
It is a nice easy meal to make in a hurry. Good to make a fast
chicken salad out of.

Angela loves it with the Costco brand sesame dressing, some kind of
greens, baby carrots and black olives.

I like the single serve cans for a quick meal for her. If I don't make
the salad, then I just add some rice, pasta or potatoes.

Also good for soup when you are to sick to really cook anything.

The thought of eating that when well is enough to make me toss my bikkies

Well, Angela and I like it!

Old 18-03-2011, 04:32 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 18/03/2011 11:24 AM, Ozgirl wrote:

"RodS" wrote in message
On 18/03/2011 12:05 AM, W. Baker wrote:
wrote:

: wrote in message
: ...
[...]

You must shop in the exotic section of Coles :-)
Never seen canned pumpkin or French Fried onions either.
The yanks never understand how we keep beating them at the Olympics
Don't tell em our secret weapon is ... VEGEMITE :-)

(- -)
=m=(_)=m=
RodS T2
Australia
Old 19-03-2011, 06:12 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 3/17/2011 3:49 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
much snipped

I recall we only had the cloves in the ham not the cherries and
pineapple but I have seen pics of it like you describe. I don't mind
cloves, I put it in stewed apples.

oh, score the ham in a checker board pattern............. insert whole
clove at each intersection

toothpick a pineapple 'piece' between the cloves, or use a clove to
'nail it' in place

diabetic friendly even (if you don't eat all the pineapple pieces LOL)

yum!

kate
type 1, Aug 89
Old 19-03-2011, 06:19 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 3/17/2011 4:04 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
wrote in message
On 18/03/2011 12:05 AM, W. Baker wrote:
wrote:

: wrote in message
: ...
[...]

lol

canned chicken *(gack)* is a staple 'easy meal' that we have, oh, 6
times a year

get some curry butter sauce and add the canned chicken, it's almost
tolerable that way

ok, it's good, but not my first choice............. i do RINSE the
canned foods many times to reduce the sodium content

kate