Old 10-03-2011, 03:36 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Are you cooking more or less than you used to?

I was thinking about this. Although there have been convenience foods for
as long as I can remember, the types of convenience foods I buy and consume
have changes.

As a child, my mom did cook some but they bought a lot of precooked things
or packaged things. Like Rice A Roni, Noodle Roni, Kraft Macaroni and
Cheese, Hamburger Helper (didn't come onto the market until I was older),
boxed puddings, Shake N'Bake, canned soups, frozen fish sticks, frozen
slices of turkey in gravy and of course the dreaded TV dinners. Our
vegetables mostly came from cans. I did grow some in our garden but we have
such a short growing season here. So we didn't get a lot from it. We did
almost always have a salad with dinner but it was almost always just iceberg
lettuce. My mom doesn't like a lot of other stuff on her salad. And she
doesn't eat dressing. Her spaghetti sauce came from a little packet that
you added water to. Perhaps there was meat added as well. I don't
remember. She didn't make it often as we certainly didn't like it. The
taco seasoning also came from a packet and that wasn't well liked either.
We did like tacos. Just not the stuff from the packet. She never seemed to
cook it long enough or something and it came out watery. We always had
frozen berries which were often picked by us during the summer. We did have
fresh fruit. She did bake cookies but often they were the packaged kind.

Then I got my first apartment. At first what we ate was a mishmash of
things. Partly because we didn't have a lot of money and partly because of
our different cooking styles. I had a roommate. I considered his mom to be
a very good cook, but she did cook things much differently than my mom did.
We did eat some things out of packets because they were new to us. And some
things were just bad! We did eat a lot of frozen pot pies. They certainly
weren't good but they were cheap!

That roommate moved out and the next one wasn't into cooking at all. I had
a series of roommates after that. Most just let me do the cooking. One was
very picky with her money and cooked only for her and her friends, although
she did let me try a meal once. One was Jewish and had to keep to his own
dietary stuff for that and some other reasons. He was a bit of an oddball
and his mom was on the Pritikin diet. I never got into the whys or
wherefores of his diet. I just allowed him to have his own spaces in the
kitchen.

So anyway... I guess I developed my own style of cooking.

At first I made everything from scratch when I could. Pizza dough, bread,
pasta, even ravioli. I did cook meats on occasion for friends but I myself
was a vegetarian. Of course there were times when money was tough. Like
the month that I ate spaghetti (from a package) and tomato sauce (I did make
that myself) for the entire month because I couldn't afford much more.

I did eat Carnation Instant breakfast bars for breakfast most mornings. I
guess I felt they were loaded with vitamins or something. If I wasn't
eating those I had hard boiled eggs. And there was the time that Safeway
was closing out the Linda McCartney frozen meals. I believe they were vegan
but they might have been vegetarian. They were not something I bought very
often because they were normally not cheap. But at the closeout price,
you'd be a fool not to buy them. Unless perhaps you didn't like vegan
meals. My freezer was stuffed with them!

There were other times that I did stupid things because I thought I was
saving money. Like the time I bought the cart full of chicken flavored
Ramen noodles. I don't even think there was real chicken in that stuff. It
was Campbell's brand. I was sick when I bought them. I thought chicken
soup would be good for me. I'd never had Ramen noodles before. And I
quickly learned I didn't like them all that much. Heh.

When I got my microwave, I made all sorts of things in it. Muffins, pudding
from scratch. I even attempted to cook meats but I didn't care for how they
came out.

Now today it seems I am cooking less than ever. My pasta is dried. My
sauce from a jar. My polenta from a tube. I buy frozen chicken nuggets,
fish sticks and other fish. Frozen cooked hamburger and black bean patties.
Pre-cooked turkey and chicken. Pre-cooked roast beef. I do buy occasional
frozen meals like tamales, cheese enchiladas and other things for Angela,
like lasagna. I know lasagna is easy, but time consuming to make. My
problem with it is the egg. I always put egg in my cheese. And now I can't
have egg. I've been afraid to try it without for fear that it won't come
out well. But I can find a gluten free boxed single serve of lasagna for
her. And the other day I found an organic meal of chicken and rice for her.

So it would seem now that I am only making a meal at home about three times
a week. Once or twice I double the amount so we will have leftovers. We
don't really like leftovers but Angela has to take dinner to the dance
studio at least twice a week. I may only be cooking from scratch once a
week. And some weeks not even that! If I make pizza I start with a
pre-made crust and use a canned sauce. Macaroni and cheese comes from a
box. Some nights the meal is as simple as pre-made hummus with baby carrots
and some olives and other raw veggies. Or a bowl of cottage cheese with
canned pears.

I find I am not cooking so much simply because I don't have to! Yes there
are countless frozen meals on the market these days. Mostly I don't even
look at those because we are allergic to something in them. And of course
most are very high in carbs. But once in a while I will find something
suitable.

It's just that there are so many ingredients that are made up already. I
can get sliced onions, chopped tomatoes, strips of pepper all cut up. I
don't often buy these things but they are there. If I make meatloaf I
always add veggies and I do get those from the salad bar so I can buy just a
small quantity. It seems it is just so much easier these days to come up
with a good, balanced meal without having to do a lot of work.

So... Do you find that you are cooking more? Less? Or about the same as
you used to?

Old 10-03-2011, 03:58 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
[...]

I have always cooked using few prepared producs. I dotend to use jarred
spaghetti sauce for convenience, but stil would do up a home made one
usign canned tomatoes and fresh other vegetables. My mother only used
boxed puddings and Kojel, a kosher jello, but we both have always made our
own salad dressings. I generally cook from scratch, but no longer do much
baking. Even now, that I am alone, I still cook frm scratch, but I do
keep some packages of turkey, in case I don't feel like cooking a dinner
and can make either a turkey salad or sandwich on low carb bread. I have
trouble gettign quantities right, both in buying and cooking , but am
doing some soups and stews which I use for several days and freeze for
future meals. Aside from the occasional frankfurter, or other deli item,
I woudl never consider using a precooked meat in any form. Vegetables are
generally fresh. Just this week I pressure cooked a large number of beets
adn have been eating them for several days. I like beets and, for some
reason, they do not spike me.

I eat out a bit more than I did before Syd died, as it is just too lonely
eating in the dining foyer alone all the time. I have always cooked form
scratch and enjoy, both the doing and the eating of my own cooking.
That's not to say that I don't like beign asked out t somenes
house:-)(hint, hint hint!)

I enjoy making some of my family's traditional recipes and plan to make a
single, rather than a double batch of the honey/ginger candy that was my
great grandmother's recipe and who knows how much further back, for
Passover this year. I am, no longer physically able to make the
traditional Seder meal, so will be with my older son for the first night
and a close friend the second.

Wendy
Old 10-03-2011, 04:22 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:
[...]

Gee... I don't think my family has any traditional recipes. I have a
recipe from my one grandma for Coca-Cola cake. I never liked it. Have a
recipe from my other grandma for something she called Cherry Jazz. I now
know that other people call it Dump Cake, but her recipe had no nuts. Just
canned cherry pie filling, Jiffy Cake mix and then melted butter on top. I
did like that, not that I can eat it now. But nobody else likes it so I
quit making it.

I did not care for my paternal grandmas cooking very much. She would not
cook anything she considered to be foreign. Seemingly her German Potato
Salad was not foreign. She did make that a lot but I don't think I ever
tried it because my dad warned me not to. I remember her making a lot of
ham for Sunday dinner. I never liked ham. She served canned green beans
cooked to death with bacon added. I did like those, but hardly what I would
call cooking. Mostly she liked to eat out. We often dined a restaurant
called Spears. It's no longer there. Or we went to some place that served
fried chicken. Not KFC. Some other place, kind of far away. I didn't like
it. I do remember that. Sometimes we went to a buffet at the mall.

My maternal grandma had 8 kids. And most of those kids had a lot of kids.
Then there were more distant relatives. We would all gather on their farm
for a meal. She always made ice cream. I do remember that. Old crank
freezer and we kids had to sit on the lid if we were not old enough to help
crank. I never liked ice cream.

They did BBQ stuff. Probably hot dogs and hamburgers. I don't remember.
There was always a lot of watermelon. They grew it. Neither of my
grandparents would eat watermelon. I hated it as well. Something about the
mealy texture. I've been told that this grandma didn't like to cook so she
turned it over to her daughters when they were young. Perhaps this is why
my mom didn't learn to cook a lot of things. This grandma did like to make
candy and bake things. She was a large woman. But AFAIK, not a diabetic.
Her brother was though.

When I stayed with her, she often took me out to eat. Or I had cereal. One
when my mom was in the hospital, she came to stay with us and made what she
called Spaghetti Red. It was just macaroni, beef and tomatoes. Because she
had known a lot of poverty she took once pound of ground beef and added
enough tomatoes and macaroni to feed us this dish for the entire week. My
dad kept trying to give her money to buy more groceries but she insisted we
eat this stuff. I think it was a good long time before we ate that again.

Sooo... No real fond food memories from my childhood. I do remember my
maternal grandma coming to stay with us when my mom had her hysterectomy and
my dad then broke his leg in the hospital after fainting from what he said
was an ether smell. I was 12 so it's doubtful to me that it was in fact
ether. Anyway, I was old enough to cook by then so likely it was me that
did the bulk of the cooking. I do remember her making the Cherry Jazz then.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:48 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

i cook as little as possible, the DH does most of it, but being here in the
hotel, with everything going on i occasionally go on cooking binges and prep
binges so he can put it together when we are ready, for example yesterday i
made chicken soup, puritst look away NOW

we are avoiding buying any spices because of space contstraints, so
seasoning is a challenge, i chopped up the remains of a rot. chicken, in
with a can of traditional progresso soup, a can of diced tomatoes from
costco, and a sixteen ounce bag of parisian vegetables from meijer, i
simmerred this for a while until i was sure the veggies were done, then put
it off the stove to cool and into the frigg, that will be today's lunch

I also made a fakey pasta sauce, which consisted of six ounces of frozen
broccoli that dh had cooked the whole bag for another meal, eight ounces of
that fake crab meat and a can of progresso clam chowder, dh will get some
multi grain thin noodles from barrilla or ronzoni and that will be dinner
tomorrow.

and the meal where we cooked the broccoli was a pork steak we split i cooked
in a frying pan with butter, potato pancakes i totally screwed up and that
other half of the broccoli...

I also made fake lobster salad using one of those eight ounce packages and
boiled eggs from the hotel's breakfast bar, and i understand these are some
pre done eggs they buy from the store,

sorry for going on so long but living here has certainly put the creativity
need up a notch, Lee

Old 10-03-2011, 08:03 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

ok how about a funny food memory?

when i was five or so, my mom asked me if i would like another brother or
sister, i said fine, my older brother said not really, my mom asked me which
i would prefer, i said a sister, my older brother said he didn't care...

time passes, my mom is gone, my dad comes home, and says, ok for dinner we
are having grilled cheese tomato soup and spinach, great, my favorite meal,
next morning my dad fixes pancakes with real syrup my mom evidentally made
a bit earlier in the week, and fresh strawberries... grandmother arrives
few days later my mom brings home a sister for us...

sixteen no maybe less than that mom again says, would you like another
brother or sister, i say not really but whatever, older brother says no
thanks... but if you have to have one what do you want, we both say
brother,... time passes, we come home from school, dad is there he has made
another favorite meal, it has canned peas, c/mushroom soup tuna and toast,
no mom... next morning we get bacon toast and hard fried eggs... off to
school, home and other grandmother arrives... then mom is home in a few days
with younger brother...

they are only thirteen/sixteen months apart... after that when my mom would
say lets grill, and i knew my dad was cooking i freaked out thinking i would
be getting another sibling...

until this i had no idea my dad could even turn on the stove, i find out
years later not only can he cook i find he is excellent about it,

Lee, who has lots of hillarious food stories about her family

Old 11-03-2011, 12:57 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
[...]

When I was living in a motel, I didn't have any way to cook. I managed to
eat healthy meals but I certainly got sick of eating that way!

Next month is when we will likely be staying in a hotel. I can get a
refrigerator if I ask, but there will be no way of cooking anything. And I
am not going to buy anything for heating food because there will be no time
to do that. So I have to come up with things that are shelf stable. I have
some things, but need to get more.

We will have a quick breakfast in the room. I bought a box of cereal that
we both like. I will have to take lunch with us. I will probably have
peanut butter stuffed pretzels and maybe applesauce. We will have one
dinner in the room. We will have only enough time to dash back to the room
and then wolf down some food. Will probably be some canned beans, canned
green beans and maybe some fruit for Angela. I am not looking forward to
it!

Old 11-03-2011, 01:03 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
[...]

My dad has tried to cook. Probably the worst thing he did was a Weight
Watcher's recipe. He only did it because my mom refused to. It was Sweet
and Sour Liver with Pineapple Chunks. Has to be the worst food we have all
ever tasted. We went to McDonalds that night. No Supersize stuff or kid's
meals in those days.

Once he made poppyseed cookies and he reckoned that he really liked
poppyseeds. So he put in waaaay too many. They came out black.

He can do simple things like hamburger patties, salads, relish trays and
heating stuff from cans.

But his sandwiches? I swear he used to do this on purpose. He would invite
all the neighborhood kids over for lunch. Then he would make little finger
sandwiches on white bread with the crusts cut off. I believe they were
peanut butter, jelly, mayo, bananas and lettuce. Want to see kids run home
in tears in very quick fashion? Just serve them that!

Once we went camping and we were out in some remote area with no stores or
restaurants nearby. We had no extra food. My mom made the infamous
Spaghetti Red. The only seasoning she put in there was chili powder. Well
she lost control of the can and dumped waaaay too much in. That stuff had a
bite to it! We all went to bed hungry that night.