Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.diabetic

Default Our Dinner Tonight

Here's a non-recipe. Most of us are good enough cooks to understand my
improvisation.

I have a bag of frozen cod loins from Sam's club. I took out 2 and put
them in a plastic, zip-lock freezer bag and into a bowl under running
water to defrost.

While they were defrosting, I diced about 1/4 cup of onion and one large
clove of garlic. I rinsed off some frozen diced green bell pepper to
defrost it. Opened a can of no-salt added stewed tomatoes, HEB brand.

Pre-heated oven to 450° F.

Drizzled a little olive oil into a pot and sauteed the onion and garlic.
Added the peppers and dried them off. Added the tomatoes. Then I added
about a cup of frozen, sliced okra. Cooked the frozen okra in the
tomatoes. Added some marjoram and basil (dried) and a couple of squirts
of Cholula sauce. I let this simmer.

Ground up 1/4 cup (or thereabouts) of pecans in the mini food processor.
Put that in a bowl. Grated in about 2 tablespoons of Cajita cheese (you
can use Parm or leave it out)

Lined a pan with foil and oiled the foil. Placed the defrosted and
patted dry cod loins in the pan. Coated each cod loin with Grey Poupon
Dijon mustard, then topped them with the pecan mixture, patting the
pecans into the mustard.

Baked for 12-15 minutes, until fish flaked.

We had a salad, then the fish with the okra tomatoes. Even DH who is
not a big fan of fish, liked it.
--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.diabetic

In alt.food.diabetic Janet Wilder > wrote:
[...]

: --
: Janet Wilder
: Way-the-heck-south Texas
: Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Sounds god and a perfect dish for Ash Wednesday:-) One point of
information, what is a cod loin? I thoughonly animals with legs had
loins? This sounds vaguely obscene. Is it fillets form te back end of
the cod or what?

Wendy-Inquiring peole want to know

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote
> In alt.food.diabetic Janet Wilder wrote:

> : Here's a non-recipe. Most of us are good enough cooks to understand my
> : improvisation.
>
> : I have a bag of frozen cod loins from Sam's club. I took out 2 and put

> Sounds god and a perfect dish for Ash Wednesday:-) One point of
> information, what is a cod loin? I thoughonly animals with legs had
> loins? This sounds vaguely obscene. Is it fillets form te back end of
> the cod or what?

Possibly from the recipe, a local rename of lingcod? Don't worry, I've seen
stranger renames. I still have trouble recalling the standard english ones
for many fish due to years in Hawaii and Japan. I'm 50 and 10 of my last 30
have been outside the continental USA.

Also some places call chopped smaller pieces of fish 'loins'. Catfish
'loins' is the more common one to see. I suspect lingcod only because it's
a bit firmer and will stand up to this dish well.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message

> Sounds god and a perfect dish for Ash Wednesday:-) One point of
> information, what is a cod loin? I thoughonly animals with legs had
> loins? This sounds vaguely obscene. Is it fillets form te back end
> of
> the cod or what?
>
> Wendy-Inquiring peole want to know

The true meaning of loin is the back, not that area that gets discussed
in sexy books

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.diabetic

W. Baker wrote:
> In alt.food.diabetic Janet Wilder > wrote:
>> Here's a non-recipe. Most of us are good enough cooks to understand
>> my improvisation.

>> I have a bag of frozen cod loins from Sam's club. I took out 2 and
>> put them in a plastic, zip-lock freezer bag and into a bowl under
>> running water to defrost.

>> While they were defrosting, I diced about 1/4 cup of onion and one
>> large clove of garlic. I rinsed off some frozen diced green bell
>> pepper to defrost it. Opened a can of no-salt added stewed tomatoes,
>> HEB brand.

>> Pre-heated oven to 450? F.

>> Drizzled a little olive oil into a pot and sauteed the onion and
>> garlic. Added the peppers and dried them off. Added the tomatoes.
>> Then I added about a cup of frozen, sliced okra. Cooked the frozen
>> okra in the tomatoes. Added some marjoram and basil (dried) and a
>> couple of squirts of Cholula sauce. I let this simmer.

>> Ground up 1/4 cup (or thereabouts) of pecans in the mini food
>> processor. Put that in a bowl. Grated in about 2 tablespoons of
>> Cajita cheese (you can use Parm or leave it out)

>> Lined a pan with foil and oiled the foil. Placed the defrosted and
>> patted dry cod loins in the pan. Coated each cod loin with Grey
>> Poupon Dijon mustard, then topped them with the pecan mixture,
>> patting the pecans into the mustard.

>> Baked for 12-15 minutes, until fish flaked.

>> We had a salad, then the fish with the okra tomatoes. Even DH who is
>> not a big fan of fish, liked it.
>> --
>> Janet Wilder
>> Way-the-heck-south Texas
>> Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

> Sounds god and a perfect dish for Ash Wednesday:-) One point of
> information, what is a cod loin? I thoughonly animals with legs had
> loins? This sounds vaguely obscene. Is it fillets form te back end
> of the cod or what?
>
> Wendy-Inquiring peole want to know

Wendy, you made me LOL.

In Newfoundland, people eat cod tongues. Believe it or not.

I was wondering what Cholula sauce is. Also Cajita cheese. Both new to me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.diabetic

On 3/9/2011 8:21 PM, W. Baker wrote:
> In alt.food.diabetic Janet > wrote:
> : Here's a non-recipe. Most of us are good enough cooks to understand my
> : improvisation.
>
> : I have a bag of frozen cod loins from Sam's club. I took out 2 and put
> : them in a plastic, zip-lock freezer bag and into a bowl under running
> : water to defrost.
>
> : While they were defrosting, I diced about 1/4 cup of onion and one large
> : clove of garlic. I rinsed off some frozen diced green bell pepper to
> : defrost it. Opened a can of no-salt added stewed tomatoes, HEB brand.
>
> : Pre-heated oven to 450? F.
>
> : Drizzled a little olive oil into a pot and sauteed the onion and garlic.
> : Added the peppers and dried them off. Added the tomatoes. Then I added
> : about a cup of frozen, sliced okra. Cooked the frozen okra in the
> : tomatoes. Added some marjoram and basil (dried) and a couple of squirts
> : of Cholula sauce. I let this simmer.
>
> : Ground up 1/4 cup (or thereabouts) of pecans in the mini food processor.
> : Put that in a bowl. Grated in about 2 tablespoons of Cajita cheese (you
> : can use Parm or leave it out)
>
> : Lined a pan with foil and oiled the foil. Placed the defrosted and
> : patted dry cod loins in the pan. Coated each cod loin with Grey Poupon
> : Dijon mustard, then topped them with the pecan mixture, patting the
> : pecans into the mustard.
>
> : Baked for 12-15 minutes, until fish flaked.
>
> : We had a salad, then the fish with the okra tomatoes. Even DH who is
> : not a big fan of fish, liked it.
> : --
> : Janet Wilder
> : Way-the-heck-south Texas
> : Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
>
> Sounds god and a perfect dish for Ash Wednesday:-) One point of
> information, what is a cod loin? I thoughonly animals with legs had
> loins? This sounds vaguely obscene. Is it fillets form te back end of
> the cod or what?
>
> Wendy-Inquiring peole want to know

It's a fat fillet. I don't know why they call them loins. Here's the URL

<http://www.samsclub.com/sams/search/searchResults.jsp?searchCategoryId=all&searchTerm= cod+loins&_requestid=240960>

or the tiny URL http://tinyurl.com/47hqzs8

They are really nice pieces of fish.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.diabetic

On 3/9/2011 8:38 PM, Janet wrote:
> W. Baker wrote:
>> In alt.food.diabetic Janet > wrote:
>>> Here's a non-recipe. Most of us are good enough cooks to understand
>>> my improvisation.

>>> I have a bag of frozen cod loins from Sam's club. I took out 2 and
>>> put them in a plastic, zip-lock freezer bag and into a bowl under
>>> running water to defrost.

>>> While they were defrosting, I diced about 1/4 cup of onion and one
>>> large clove of garlic. I rinsed off some frozen diced green bell
>>> pepper to defrost it. Opened a can of no-salt added stewed tomatoes,
>>> HEB brand.

>>> Pre-heated oven to 450? F.

>>> Drizzled a little olive oil into a pot and sauteed the onion and
>>> garlic. Added the peppers and dried them off. Added the tomatoes.
>>> Then I added about a cup of frozen, sliced okra. Cooked the frozen
>>> okra in the tomatoes. Added some marjoram and basil (dried) and a
>>> couple of squirts of Cholula sauce. I let this simmer.

>>> Ground up 1/4 cup (or thereabouts) of pecans in the mini food
>>> processor. Put that in a bowl. Grated in about 2 tablespoons of
>>> Cajita cheese (you can use Parm or leave it out)

>>> Lined a pan with foil and oiled the foil. Placed the defrosted and
>>> patted dry cod loins in the pan. Coated each cod loin with Grey
>>> Poupon Dijon mustard, then topped them with the pecan mixture,
>>> patting the pecans into the mustard.

>>> Baked for 12-15 minutes, until fish flaked.

>>> We had a salad, then the fish with the okra tomatoes. Even DH who is
>>> not a big fan of fish, liked it.
>>> --
>>> Janet Wilder
>>> Way-the-heck-south Texas
>>> Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

>> Sounds god and a perfect dish for Ash Wednesday:-) One point of
>> information, what is a cod loin? I thoughonly animals with legs had
>> loins? This sounds vaguely obscene. Is it fillets form te back end
>> of the cod or what?
>>
>> Wendy-Inquiring peole want to know

> Wendy, you made me LOL.
>
> In Newfoundland, people eat cod tongues. Believe it or not.

Loved the cod tongues and cod cheeks when w were in Newfoundland. The
tongues were breaded and fried and tasted kind of like fried clams.

> I was wondering what Cholula sauce is. Also Cajita cheese. Both new to me.

Cholula is a hot sauce like Tabasco, but I thin it has a unique flavor
and it doesn't burn my tongue. Cajita cheese is a hard Mexican cheese
that is usually grated. It's just a tad less hard/dry than Parmesan.
Similar in flavor to Parmesan, but less sharp and more salty.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Janet" > wrote:

> >> I have a bag of frozen cod loins from Sam's club.

> >> okra in the tomatoes. Added some marjoram and basil (dried) and a
> >> couple of squirts of Cholula sauce. I let this simmer.

> >> Ground up 1/4 cup (or thereabouts) of pecans in the mini food
> >> processor. Put that in a bowl. Grated in about 2 tablespoons of
> >> Cajita cheese (you can use Parm or leave it out)

> I was wondering what Cholula sauce is. Also Cajita cheese. Both new to me.

Cholula is a red pepper sauce from Mexico. Cojita is a hard cow's milk
cheese from Mexico.

Google has more info on both.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.diabetic

this sounds nice, Lee
"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> Here's a non-recipe. Most of us are good enough cooks to understand my
> improvisation.
>
> I have a bag of frozen cod loins from Sam's club. I took out 2 and put
> them in a plastic, zip-lock freezer bag and into a bowl under running
> water to defrost.
>
> While they were defrosting, I diced about 1/4 cup of onion and one large
> clove of garlic. I rinsed off some frozen diced green bell pepper to
> defrost it. Opened a can of no-salt added stewed tomatoes, HEB brand.
>
> Pre-heated oven to 450° F.
>
> Drizzled a little olive oil into a pot and sauteed the onion and garlic.
> Added the peppers and dried them off. Added the tomatoes. Then I added
> about a cup of frozen, sliced okra. Cooked the frozen okra in the
> tomatoes. Added some marjoram and basil (dried) and a couple of squirts
> of Cholula sauce. I let this simmer.
>
> Ground up 1/4 cup (or thereabouts) of pecans in the mini food processor.
> Put that in a bowl. Grated in about 2 tablespoons of Cajita cheese (you
> can use Parm or leave it out)
>
> Lined a pan with foil and oiled the foil. Placed the defrosted and patted
> dry cod loins in the pan. Coated each cod loin with Grey Poupon Dijon
> mustard, then topped them with the pecan mixture, patting the pecans into
> the mustard.
>
> Baked for 12-15 minutes, until fish flaked.
>
> We had a salad, then the fish with the okra tomatoes. Even DH who is not
> a big fan of fish, liked it.
> --
> Janet Wilder
> Way-the-heck-south Texas
> Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> one of the things i was too glad not to see was the film that was used in
> my state sanitation class where they showed several varieties of fish and
> how the varieties of worms exited the fish as they were heated, put me off
> fish for over two years just from the descritons, Lee

Bleh.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

pretty hidious actually caused some in the class, there were over two
hundred of us, to get sick in the class... Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> one of the things i was too glad not to see was the film that was used in
>> my state sanitation class where they showed several varieties of fish and
>> how the varieties of worms exited the fish as they were heated, put me
>> off fish for over two years just from the descritons, Lee

> Bleh.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> pretty hidious actually caused some in the class, there were over two
> hundred of us, to get sick in the class... Lee

I can remember as a young teen, getting a moth down the front of my dress.
The dress had elastic at the lowish neckline and just under the bust. So
the moth was contained in that area. I screamed and shrieked and for many,
many years after that I had a moth phobia.

Not long after that incident, some guy from the Better Business Bureau or
the Consumer Protection Agency came to our Home Ec class and told us how
many moth scales were allowed in a can of tuna fish. Of course I didn't
know at that time that moth scales and other junk is in pretty much all of
the food that we eat, even if we make it from scratch at home.

I didn't eat any tuna for a long time after that.

Angela came home a few weeks ago and informed me of something similar. I
think it was rat hairs in food or something.

Sometimes it's just best not to think about what we are eating.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

even the stuff you grow generally has something i would rather not think
about, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> pretty hidious actually caused some in the class, there were over two
>> hundred of us, to get sick in the class... Lee

> I can remember as a young teen, getting a moth down the front of my dress.
> The dress had elastic at the lowish neckline and just under the bust. So
> the moth was contained in that area. I screamed and shrieked and for
> many, many years after that I had a moth phobia.
>
> Not long after that incident, some guy from the Better Business Bureau or
> the Consumer Protection Agency came to our Home Ec class and told us how
> many moth scales were allowed in a can of tuna fish. Of course I didn't
> know at that time that moth scales and other junk is in pretty much all of
> the food that we eat, even if we make it from scratch at home.
>
> I didn't eat any tuna for a long time after that.
>
> Angela came home a few weeks ago and informed me of something similar. I
> think it was rat hairs in food or something.
>
> Sometimes it's just best not to think about what we are eating.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> even the stuff you grow generally has something i would rather not think
> about, Lee

I know.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"atec77" > wrote in message
> On 11/03/2011 7:13 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>>> even the stuff you grow generally has something i would rather not think
>>> about, Lee

>> I know.
>>

> Hence wash well and lotsa cooking

I prefer most of my veggies to be raw.

Member

Interesting stuff, tonight we want to going restaurant because today whether is very nice and if you have any girlfriend then enjoy with her.