Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Cost of Black Soy Beans--Gulp!

I just heard about the existence of these--thank you Susan!--and found the
Eden organic brand at the supermarket, so I picked up a couple of cans. I
was astonished to find that they cost over $3 a can. I decided to bite the
bullet and get them despite this, just to see how they worked out for me,
but...

Is this the usual store-shelf price, for those that use them? Is it cheaper
to buy cases from the Eden web site? (I assumed that the shipping cost would
be huge because of the weight, but maybe not...) Is there anywhere that one
can find them dried and cook them oneself, like regular black beans?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet" > wrote in message
>I just heard about the existence of these--thank you Susan!--and found the
>Eden organic brand at the supermarket, so I picked up a couple of cans. I
>was astonished to find that they cost over $3 a can. I decided to bite the
>bullet and get them despite this, just to see how they worked out for me,
>but...
>
> Is this the usual store-shelf price, for those that use them? Is it
> cheaper to buy cases from the Eden web site? (I assumed that the shipping
> cost would be huge because of the weight, but maybe not...) Is there
> anywhere that one can find them dried and cook them oneself, like regular
> black beans?

I haven't bought them for many years but that was about what I paid for
them.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet > wrote:
: I just heard about the existence of these--thank you Susan!--and found the
: Eden organic brand at the supermarket, so I picked up a couple of cans. I
: was astonished to find that they cost over $3 a can. I decided to bite the
: bullet and get them despite this, just to see how they worked out for me,
: but...

: Is this the usual store-shelf price, for those that use them? Is it cheaper
: to buy cases from the Eden web site? (I assumed that the shipping cost would
: be huge because of the weight, but maybe not...) Is there anywhere that one
: can find them dried and cook them oneself, like regular black beans?
I get them, either dry or in cans. I have not bought them recently, but
when I last did they were for cans, between 1 and 2 dollars. I get them at
Fairway , which susan and I have iscussed on this list. A great NYC area
group of stores with great produce a t good prices and lots of organic and
specialty foods, also a good prices, not necessarily the cheapest, but
good. Trader Joes moved into our neighborhood recently and they often
have beter prices on dairy(eggs, milk, yogurt, cottage cheese) and on a
brand of vegetarian breakfast sausage meat by Gimme Lean.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I made turkey chili yesterday and used two cans of the soy beans. We had it
for dinner last night--so far, no ill effects for either of us. Perhaps our
fiber consumption is already high enough to provide the necessary "prep."
While not as good as black beans, they did provide a bean element in the
chili and if they keep my BG down it will be a great substitute.
Unfortunately I failed to test after dinner to see how they worked for me in
terms of BG. I'll have to do it next time. (I made a big batch!)

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet > wrote:
: I made turkey chili yesterday and used two cans of the soy beans. We had it
: for dinner last night--so far, no ill effects for either of us. Perhaps our
: fiber consumption is already high enough to provide the necessary "prep."
: While not as good as black beans, they did provide a bean element in the
: chili and if they keep my BG down it will be a great substitute.
: Unfortunately I failed to test after dinner to see how they worked for me in
: terms of BG. I'll have to do it next time. (I made a big batch!)

I guess you used the canned beans. I often use the dried one in soup,
etc. I find that they need longer cooking than many other beans and they
have a firmer texture even afer long cooking. Not a bad one, just less
pastey if "overcooked."

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

W. Baker wrote:
> Janet > wrote:
>> I made turkey chili yesterday and used two cans of the soy beans. We
>> had it for dinner last night--so far, no ill effects for either of
>> us. Perhaps our fiber consumption is already high enough to provide
>> the necessary "prep." While not as good as black beans, they did
>> provide a bean element in the chili and if they keep my BG down it
>> will be a great substitute. Unfortunately I failed to test after
>> dinner to see how they worked for me in terms of BG. I'll have to do
>> it next time. (I made a big batch!)

> I guess you used the canned beans. I often use the dried one in soup,
> etc. I find that they need longer cooking than many other beans and
> they have a firmer texture even afer long cooking. Not a bad one,
> just less pastey if "overcooked."
>
> Wendy

Yes--I haven't found the dried ones yet.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Janet" > wrote:

> W. Baker wrote:
> > Janet > wrote:
> >> I made turkey chili yesterday and used two cans of the soy beans. We
> >> had it for dinner last night--so far, no ill effects for either of
> >> us. Perhaps our fiber consumption is already high enough to provide
> >> the necessary "prep." While not as good as black beans, they did
> >> provide a bean element in the chili and if they keep my BG down it
> >> will be a great substitute. Unfortunately I failed to test after
> >> dinner to see how they worked for me in terms of BG. I'll have to do
> >> it next time. (I made a big batch!)

> > I guess you used the canned beans. I often use the dried one in soup,
> > etc. I find that they need longer cooking than many other beans and
> > they have a firmer texture even afer long cooking. Not a bad one,
> > just less pastey if "overcooked."
> >
> > Wendy

> Yes--I haven't found the dried ones yet.

Try here.

http://thurly.net/10t5

or

http://www.great-eastern-sun.com/ind...sult/?q=black+
soybeans&x=9&y=7

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

łEvery conflict in the world today has its origin in the
imagination of British map drawers,˛ Author Unknown

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet" > wrote in message
> W. Baker wrote:
>> Janet > wrote:
>>> I made turkey chili yesterday and used two cans of the soy beans. We
>>> had it for dinner last night--so far, no ill effects for either of
>>> us. Perhaps our fiber consumption is already high enough to provide
>>> the necessary "prep." While not as good as black beans, they did
>>> provide a bean element in the chili and if they keep my BG down it
>>> will be a great substitute. Unfortunately I failed to test after
>>> dinner to see how they worked for me in terms of BG. I'll have to do
>>> it next time. (I made a big batch!)

>> I guess you used the canned beans. I often use the dried one in
>> soup,
>> etc. I find that they need longer cooking than many other beans and
>> they have a firmer texture even afer long cooking. Not a bad one,
>> just less pastey if "overcooked."
>>
>> Wendy

> Yes--I haven't found the dried ones yet.

Health food stores and supermarkets have them here. I use to slow cook
mine all day so I could mash them to make croquettes or a base for a
sandwich.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ozgirl > wrote:

: "Janet" > wrote in message
: ...
: > W. Baker wrote:
: >> Janet > wrote:
: >>> I made turkey chili yesterday and used two cans of the soy beans. We
: >>> had it for dinner last night--so far, no ill effects for either of
: >>> us. Perhaps our fiber consumption is already high enough to provide
: >>> the necessary "prep." While not as good as black beans, they did
: >>> provide a bean element in the chili and if they keep my BG down it
: >>> will be a great substitute. Unfortunately I failed to test after
: >>> dinner to see how they worked for me in terms of BG. I'll have to do
: >>> it next time. (I made a big batch!)
: >>
: >> I guess you used the canned beans. I often use the dried one in
: >> soup,
: >> etc. I find that they need longer cooking than many other beans and
: >> they have a firmer texture even afer long cooking. Not a bad one,
: >> just less pastey if "overcooked."
: >>
: >> Wendy
: >
: > Yes--I haven't found the dried ones yet.

: Health food stores and supermarkets have them here. I use to slow cook
: mine all day so I could mash them to make croquettes or a base for a
: sandwich.

Somehow a squashed bean salad doesn't hit me as a treat:-) what did you
flavor this with, as the beans, alone, are pretty dull.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Ozgirl > wrote:
>

> : "Janet" > wrote in message
> : ...
> : > W. Baker wrote:
> : >> Janet > wrote:
> : >>> I made turkey chili yesterday and used two cans of the soy
> beans. We
> : >>> had it for dinner last night--so far, no ill effects for either
> of
> : >>> us. Perhaps our fiber consumption is already high enough to
> provide
> : >>> the necessary "prep." While not as good as black beans, they
> did
> : >>> provide a bean element in the chili and if they keep my BG down
> it
> : >>> will be a great substitute. Unfortunately I failed to test after
> : >>> dinner to see how they worked for me in terms of BG. I'll have
> to do
> : >>> it next time. (I made a big batch!)
> : >>
> : >> I guess you used the canned beans. I often use the dried one in
> : >> soup,
> : >> etc. I find that they need longer cooking than many other beans
> and
> : >> they have a firmer texture even afer long cooking. Not a bad
> one,
> : >> just less pastey if "overcooked."
> : >>
> : >> Wendy
> : >
> : > Yes--I haven't found the dried ones yet.
>
> : Health food stores and supermarkets have them here. I use to slow
> cook
> : mine all day so I could mash them to make croquettes or a base for a
> : sandwich.
>
> Somehow a squashed bean salad doesn't hit me as a treat:-) what did
> you
> flavor this with, as the beans, alone, are pretty dull.

Just mash will a bit of garlic, oil, salt and pepper. Spread it on bread
like you would mashed avocado and top with other salad stuff like
lettuces, cucumber, onion, alfalfa sprouts etc.
Eat with knife and fork. I am confused now as to whether Janet is using
soy beans as stated or Black soy beans as per the title. I have never
heard of black soy beans only soy beans or black beans. I am talking the
light coloured soy beans for my "recipe".

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ozgirl > wrote:

: "W. Baker" > wrote in message
: ...
: > Ozgirl > wrote:
: >
: >
: > : "Janet" > wrote in message
: > : ...
: > : > W. Baker wrote:
: > : >> Janet > wrote:
: > : >>> I made turkey chili yesterday and used two cans of the soy
: > beans. We
: > : >>> had it for dinner last night--so far, no ill effects for either
: > of
: > : >>> us. Perhaps our fiber consumption is already high enough to
: > provide
: > : >>> the necessary "prep." While not as good as black beans, they
: > did
: > : >>> provide a bean element in the chili and if they keep my BG down
: > it
: > : >>> will be a great substitute. Unfortunately I failed to test after
: > : >>> dinner to see how they worked for me in terms of BG. I'll have
: > to do
: > : >>> it next time. (I made a big batch!)
: > : >>
: > : >> I guess you used the canned beans. I often use the dried one in
: > : >> soup,
: > : >> etc. I find that they need longer cooking than many other beans
: > and
: > : >> they have a firmer texture even afer long cooking. Not a bad
: > one,
: > : >> just less pastey if "overcooked."
: > : >>
: > : >> Wendy
: > : >
[...]

The conversation is about these black soy beans which have fewer carabs
than most other beans and, as a result, are very full of fiber and are
quite tough, requiring long cooking. They can affect some peoloe
gastrically very badly(me) but others(Susan) have no such problems. I, as
result, eat them in soups or stews, rather than alone.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> Eat with knife and fork. I am confused now as to whether Janet is using
> soy beans as stated or Black soy beans as per the title. I have never
> heard of black soy beans only soy beans or black beans. I am talking the
> light coloured soy beans for my "recipe".

They are black

http://www.edenfoods.com/store/produ...ucts_id=103050

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ozgirl wrote:
<snip>

>> Somehow a squashed bean salad doesn't hit me as a treat:-) what did
>> you
>> flavor this with, as the beans, alone, are pretty dull.

> Just mash will a bit of garlic, oil, salt and pepper. Spread it on
> bread like you would mashed avocado and top with other salad stuff
> like lettuces, cucumber, onion, alfalfa sprouts etc.
> Eat with knife and fork. I am confused now as to whether Janet is
> using soy beans as stated or Black soy beans as per the title. I have
> never heard of black soy beans only soy beans or black beans. I am
> talking the light coloured soy beans for my "recipe".

I am using black soy beans, not the regular light-colored ones. I had never
heard of them either~

BTW, the mashed beans with garlic and oil and so forth is similar to Mexican
refried beans, which are delicious. Edensoy makes them with half and half
black soy beans and black turtle beans (the normal kind of black bean). I
may try that, because I love my own version of refried beans.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

W. Baker wrote:
<snip>

> The conversation is about these black soy beans which have fewer
> carabs than most other beans and, as a result, are very full of fiber
> and are quite tough, requiring long cooking. They can affect some
> peoloe gastrically very badly(me) but others(Susan) have no such
> problems. I, as result, eat them in soups or stews, rather than
> alone.

Last night I had chili leftovers for dinner. Again, no negative bean
effects, and this time I tested my BG: 87 before dinner, 104 about an hour
and a half later. This is significantly lower than the typical result I got
from regular beans, so I'm a happy camper.

black beans fignewton Mexican Cooking 2 21-10-2013 11:44 AM
Cost of Vanilla Beans Steve Freides[_2_] General Cooking 48 30-07-2010 02:32 PM
How big is a gulp? Andy[_2_] General Cooking 25 26-06-2007 06:29 PM
Black Beans - Cuban Black Bean Soup Langerhans Diabetic 0 10-07-2005 09:04 PM
Black soy beans Katra General Cooking 13 03-06-2005 10:13 AM