Old 07-03-2011, 02:41 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Cost of Black Soy Beans--Gulp!

I just heard about the existence of these--thank you Susan!--and found the
Eden organic brand at the supermarket, so I picked up a couple of cans. I
was astonished to find that they cost over $3 a can. I decided to bite the
bullet and get them despite this, just to see how they worked out for me,
but...

Is this the usual store-shelf price, for those that use them? Is it cheaper
to buy cases from the Eden web site? (I assumed that the shipping cost would
be huge because of the weight, but maybe not...) Is there anywhere that one
can find them dried and cook them oneself, like regular black beans?

Old 07-03-2011, 03:19 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet" wrote in message
I just heard about the existence of these--thank you Susan!--and found the
Eden organic brand at the supermarket, so I picked up a couple of cans. I
was astonished to find that they cost over $3 a can. I decided to bite the
bullet and get them despite this, just to see how they worked out for me,
but...

Is this the usual store-shelf price, for those that use them? Is it
cheaper to buy cases from the Eden web site? (I assumed that the shipping
cost would be huge because of the weight, but maybe not...) Is there
anywhere that one can find them dried and cook them oneself, like regular
black beans?

I haven't bought them for many years but that was about what I paid for
them.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:32 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet wrote:
: I just heard about the existence of these--thank you Susan!--and found the
: Eden organic brand at the supermarket, so I picked up a couple of cans. I
: was astonished to find that they cost over $3 a can. I decided to bite the
: bullet and get them despite this, just to see how they worked out for me,
: but...

: Is this the usual store-shelf price, for those that use them? Is it cheaper
: to buy cases from the Eden web site? (I assumed that the shipping cost would
: be huge because of the weight, but maybe not...) Is there anywhere that one
: can find them dried and cook them oneself, like regular black beans?
I get them, either dry or in cans. I have not bought them recently, but
when I last did they were for cans, between 1 and 2 dollars. I get them at
Fairway , which susan and I have iscussed on this list. A great NYC area
group of stores with great produce a t good prices and lots of organic and
specialty foods, also a good prices, not necessarily the cheapest, but
good. Trader Joes moved into our neighborhood recently and they often
have beter prices on dairy(eggs, milk, yogurt, cottage cheese) and on a
brand of vegetarian breakfast sausage meat by Gimme Lean.

Wendy

Old 08-03-2011, 12:58 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

I made turkey chili yesterday and used two cans of the soy beans. We had it
for dinner last night--so far, no ill effects for either of us. Perhaps our
fiber consumption is already high enough to provide the necessary "prep."
While not as good as black beans, they did provide a bean element in the
chili and if they keep my BG down it will be a great substitute.
Unfortunately I failed to test after dinner to see how they worked for me in
terms of BG. I'll have to do it next time. (I made a big batch!)

Old 08-03-2011, 02:39 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet wrote:
: I made turkey chili yesterday and used two cans of the soy beans. We had it
: for dinner last night--so far, no ill effects for either of us. Perhaps our
: fiber consumption is already high enough to provide the necessary "prep."
: While not as good as black beans, they did provide a bean element in the
: chili and if they keep my BG down it will be a great substitute.
: Unfortunately I failed to test after dinner to see how they worked for me in
: terms of BG. I'll have to do it next time. (I made a big batch!)

I guess you used the canned beans. I often use the dried one in soup,
etc. I find that they need longer cooking than many other beans and they
have a firmer texture even afer long cooking. Not a bad one, just less
pastey if "overcooked."

Wendy

Old 08-03-2011, 03:15 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

W. Baker wrote:
Janet wrote:
I made turkey chili yesterday and used two cans of the soy beans. We
had it for dinner last night--so far, no ill effects for either of
us. Perhaps our fiber consumption is already high enough to provide
the necessary "prep." While not as good as black beans, they did
provide a bean element in the chili and if they keep my BG down it
will be a great substitute. Unfortunately I failed to test after
dinner to see how they worked for me in terms of BG. I'll have to do
it next time. (I made a big batch!)

I guess you used the canned beans. I often use the dried one in soup,
etc. I find that they need longer cooking than many other beans and
they have a firmer texture even afer long cooking. Not a bad one,
just less pastey if "overcooked."

Wendy

Yes--I haven't found the dried ones yet.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:19 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article ,
"Janet" wrote:

W. Baker wrote:
Janet wrote:
I made turkey chili yesterday and used two cans of the soy beans. We
had it for dinner last night--so far, no ill effects for either of
us. Perhaps our fiber consumption is already high enough to provide
the necessary "prep." While not as good as black beans, they did
provide a bean element in the chili and if they keep my BG down it
will be a great substitute. Unfortunately I failed to test after
dinner to see how they worked for me in terms of BG. I'll have to do
it next time. (I made a big batch!)

I guess you used the canned beans. I often use the dried one in soup,
etc. I find that they need longer cooking than many other beans and
they have a firmer texture even afer long cooking. Not a bad one,
just less pastey if "overcooked."

Wendy

Yes--I haven't found the dried ones yet.

Try here.

http://thurly.net/10t5

or

http://www.great-eastern-sun.com/ind...sult/?q=black+
soybeans&x=9&y=7

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

łEvery conflict in the world today has its origin in the
imagination of British map drawers,˛ Author Unknown

Old 09-03-2011, 12:06 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet" wrote in message
W. Baker wrote:
Janet wrote:
I made turkey chili yesterday and used two cans of the soy beans. We
had it for dinner last night--so far, no ill effects for either of
us. Perhaps our fiber consumption is already high enough to provide
the necessary "prep." While not as good as black beans, they did
provide a bean element in the chili and if they keep my BG down it
will be a great substitute. Unfortunately I failed to test after
dinner to see how they worked for me in terms of BG. I'll have to do
it next time. (I made a big batch!)

I guess you used the canned beans. I often use the dried one in
soup,
etc. I find that they need longer cooking than many other beans and
they have a firmer texture even afer long cooking. Not a bad one,
just less pastey if "overcooked."

Wendy

Yes--I haven't found the dried ones yet.

Health food stores and supermarkets have them here. I use to slow cook
mine all day so I could mash them to make croquettes or a base for a
sandwich.

Old 09-03-2011, 02:04 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ozgirl wrote:

: "Janet" wrote in message
: ...
:
: I guess you used the canned beans. I often use the dried one in
: soup,
: etc. I find that they need longer cooking than many other beans and
: they have a firmer texture even afer long cooking. Not a bad one,
: just less pastey if "overcooked."
:
: Wendy
:
: Yes--I haven't found the dried ones yet.

: Health food stores and supermarkets have them here. I use to slow cook
: mine all day so I could mash them to make croquettes or a base for a
: sandwich.

Somehow a squashed bean salad doesn't hit me as a treat:-) what did you
flavor this with, as the beans, alone, are pretty dull.

Wendy
Old 09-03-2011, 02:20 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote in message
Ozgirl wrote:

: "Janet" wrote in message
: ...
: W. Baker wrote:
: Janet wrote:
[...]

Just mash will a bit of garlic, oil, salt and pepper. Spread it on bread
like you would mashed avocado and top with other salad stuff like
lettuces, cucumber, onion, alfalfa sprouts etc.
Eat with knife and fork. I am confused now as to whether Janet is using
soy beans as stated or Black soy beans as per the title. I have never
heard of black soy beans only soy beans or black beans. I am talking the
light coloured soy beans for my "recipe".

Old 09-03-2011, 03:20 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ozgirl wrote:

: "W. Baker" wrote in message
: ...
: Ozgirl wrote:
:
:
: : "Janet" wrote in message
: : ...
: : W. Baker wrote:
: : Janet wrote:
: : I made turkey chili yesterday and used two cans of the soy
: beans. We
: : had it for dinner last night--so far, no ill effects for either
: of
: : us. Perhaps our fiber consumption is already high enough to
: provide
: : the necessary "prep." While not as good as black beans, they
: did
: : provide a bean element in the chili and if they keep my BG down
: it
: : will be a great substitute. Unfortunately I failed to test after
: : dinner to see how they worked for me in terms of BG. I'll have
: to do
: : it next time. (I made a big batch!)
: :
[...]

The conversation is about these black soy beans which have fewer carabs
than most other beans and, as a result, are very full of fiber and are
quite tough, requiring long cooking. They can affect some peoloe
gastrically very badly(me) but others(Susan) have no such problems. I, as
result, eat them in soups or stews, rather than alone.

Wendy
Old 09-03-2011, 05:31 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" wrote in message

Eat with knife and fork. I am confused now as to whether Janet is using
soy beans as stated or Black soy beans as per the title. I have never
heard of black soy beans only soy beans or black beans. I am talking the
light coloured soy beans for my "recipe".

They are black

http://www.edenfoods.com/store/produ...ucts_id=103050

Old 09-03-2011, 02:11 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ozgirl wrote:
snip

Somehow a squashed bean salad doesn't hit me as a treat:-) what did
you
flavor this with, as the beans, alone, are pretty dull.

Just mash will a bit of garlic, oil, salt and pepper. Spread it on
bread like you would mashed avocado and top with other salad stuff
like lettuces, cucumber, onion, alfalfa sprouts etc.
Eat with knife and fork. I am confused now as to whether Janet is
using soy beans as stated or Black soy beans as per the title. I have
never heard of black soy beans only soy beans or black beans. I am
talking the light coloured soy beans for my "recipe".

I am using black soy beans, not the regular light-colored ones. I had never
heard of them either~

BTW, the mashed beans with garlic and oil and so forth is similar to Mexican
refried beans, which are delicious. Edensoy makes them with half and half
black soy beans and black turtle beans (the normal kind of black bean). I
may try that, because I love my own version of refried beans.

Old 09-03-2011, 02:13 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

W. Baker wrote:
snip

The conversation is about these black soy beans which have fewer
carabs than most other beans and, as a result, are very full of fiber
and are quite tough, requiring long cooking. They can affect some
peoloe gastrically very badly(me) but others(Susan) have no such
problems. I, as result, eat them in soups or stews, rather than
alone.

Last night I had chili leftovers for dinner. Again, no negative bean
effects, and this time I tested my BG: 87 before dinner, 104 about an hour
and a half later. This is significantly lower than the typical result I got
from regular beans, so I'm a happy camper.

black beans fignewton Mexican Cooking 2 21-10-2013 11:44 AM
Cost of Vanilla Beans Steve Freides[_2_] General Cooking 48 30-07-2010 02:32 PM
How big is a gulp? Andy[_2_] General Cooking 25 26-06-2007 06:29 PM
Black Beans - Cuban Black Bean Soup Langerhans Diabetic 0 10-07-2005 09:04 PM
Black soy beans Katra General Cooking 13 03-06-2005 10:13 AM