Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Tonight's dinner

I had planned to have a big taco salad last night but I was too scared to
eat it. I had gotten very sick to my stomach and the reaction was the same
as when I eat an egg. I am allergic to eggs. I think somehow something I
ate got cross contaminated. Angela did have eggs in her meal the night
before and I had a yucky pizza. It was a frozen one which was new to me.

So last night I had plain chicken breast with a little gravy and white rice.
Didn't raise my BG very much, even though I ate quite a bit of rice. I
saved the rest for Angela to have tonight.

So now tonight I am having the salad. Bed of shredded iceberg, then a mix
of black olives, kidney beans, red pepper strips, green onions and chopped
Roma tomatoes. On top of that, plenty of medium salsa. Then some cooked
ground beef that has been seasoned with a Taco seasoning mix from American
Spice. Then a few tortilla strips. Yum!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

hope you are feeling better, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>I had planned to have a big taco salad last night but I was too scared to
>eat it. I had gotten very sick to my stomach and the reaction was the same
>as when I eat an egg. I am allergic to eggs. I think somehow something I
>ate got cross contaminated. Angela did have eggs in her meal the night
>before and I had a yucky pizza. It was a frozen one which was new to me.
>
> So last night I had plain chicken breast with a little gravy and white
> rice. Didn't raise my BG very much, even though I ate quite a bit of rice.
> I saved the rest for Angela to have tonight.
>
> So now tonight I am having the salad. Bed of shredded iceberg, then a mix
> of black olives, kidney beans, red pepper strips, green onions and chopped
> Roma tomatoes. On top of that, plenty of medium salsa. Then some cooked
> ground beef that has been seasoned with a Taco seasoning mix from American
> Spice. Then a few tortilla strips. Yum!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> hope you are feeling better, Lee

Yep. Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

good the weather sucks too much to feel bad, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> hope you are feeling better, Lee

> Yep. Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Boomer > wrote:

: I am still ****ed that I cannot drink coffee. I like coffee and it has no
: carbs. But it will produce a 10 or 20 point spike in my BG. Damn! I am
: reduced to drinking beer. It lowers my BG a lot. I am currently on 2 beers
: per day. It works pretty well. I have gotten concerned that it may shorten
: the insulin production life of my pancreas. I think from reading about how
: alcohol works to lower BG levels that it is a beta cell pusher.

: It sends extra oxygen to these cells to increase insulin production. I
: Michael

Fom what I understand, alcohol works on the liver, not the pancreas. I
remember my first endo mentioning under his breath as if thinking aloud,
that well it is metabolized like fat, not carbs. Apparantly, not involved
with the pancreas, but the liver. The liver deals with the alcohol first,
so is not turning out glucagon or whatever it is that it turns out that is
related to glucose. I have never heard of it as an insulin pusher, but iI
have not researched it in any great detail.

Alcoholics, many of whome are diabetic get cirrosis of the liver, not
pancreas priblems.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote in message ...

Boomer > wrote:

[...]

Hi Wendy,

I looked around the web and found the following information.

http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/Hea...104370191.html

I looked at many sites. I found that WebMD warned that alcohol consumption
should be forbidden to people with type 2 diabetes because it raises BG
levels.

Other studies completely contradict this idea. I know that a single Michelob
Ultra will reduce my BG by 20 or more points. This effect lasts for several
hours.

I found other sites warning that alcohol consumption by people with T2 can
cause a dangerous hypoglycaemic reaction.

The recommendations are all over the map. I saw a recent study that even
said the moderate alcohol consumption increases insulin sensitivity, at
least in rats.

It is pretty clear that this issue has not been settled.
http://joe.endocrinology-journals.or.../full/199/1/95

There appears to be information about T2 and alcohol consumption on the web
that are diametrically opposed to each other. Black is white and white is
black.

I am going with what my meter tells me. I intend to continue consuming two
drinks per day that contain enough alcohol to lower my BG. Too bad I did not
start this about 30 years ago. The studies show that those who consume
moderate amounts of alcohol through their lives rarely get T2. I just need
to drink something that tastes better to me than beer. My favourite is wine,
but alas I have not found any wine that lowers my BG. Au contraire.

Michael

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 21:18:23 -0600, Boomer wrote:

> "W. Baker" wrote in message ...
>
> Boomer > wrote:
>
> : I am still ****ed that I cannot drink coffee. I like coffee and it has
> no : carbs. But it will produce a 10 or 20 point spike in my BG. Damn! I
> am : reduced to drinking beer. It lowers my BG a lot. I am currently on
> 2 beers : per day. It works pretty well. I have gotten concerned that it
> may shorten : the insulin production life of my pancreas. I think from
> reading about how : alcohol works to lower BG levels that it is a beta
> cell pusher.
>
> : It sends extra oxygen to these cells to increase insulin production. I
> : Michael
>
> Fom what I understand, alcohol works on the liver, not the pancreas. I
> remember my first endo mentioning under his breath as if thinking aloud,
> that well it is metabolized like fat, not carbs. Apparantly, not
> involved with the pancreas, but the liver. The liver deals with the
> alcohol first, so is not turning out glucagon or whatever it is that it
> turns out that is related to glucose. I have never heard of it as an
> insulin pusher, but iI have not researched it in any great detail.
>
> Alcoholics, many of whome are diabetic get cirrosis of the liver, not
> pancreas priblems.
>
> Wendy
>

> Hi Wendy,
>
> I looked around the web and found the following information.
>
> http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/Hea...104370191.html
>
> I looked at many sites. I found that WebMD warned that alcohol
> consumption should be forbidden to people with type 2 diabetes because
> it raises BG levels.
>
> Other studies completely contradict this idea. I know that a single
> Michelob Ultra will reduce my BG by 20 or more points. This effect lasts
> for several hours.
>
> I found other sites warning that alcohol consumption by people with T2
> can cause a dangerous hypoglycaemic reaction.
>
> The recommendations are all over the map. I saw a recent study that even
> said the moderate alcohol consumption increases insulin sensitivity, at
> least in rats.
>
> It is pretty clear that this issue has not been settled.
> http://joe.endocrinology-journals.or.../full/199/1/95
>
> There appears to be information about T2 and alcohol consumption on the
> web that are diametrically opposed to each other. Black is white and
> white is black.
>
> I am going with what my meter tells me. I intend to continue consuming
> two drinks per day that contain enough alcohol to lower my BG. Too bad I
> did not start this about 30 years ago. The studies show that those who
> consume moderate amounts of alcohol through their lives rarely get T2. I
> just need to drink something that tastes better to me than beer. My
> favourite is wine, but alas I have not found any wine that lowers my BG.
> Au contraire.
>
> Michael

Many wines still contain sugar - a quick search shows that dry white
wines contain less than reds. Unless the wine is "fortified", a strong,
dry white should have almost all its sugar converted to alcohol.
I haven't checked my own BG vs. wine, good idea as I'm going to buy a 2
or 3 liter bag in box today ... there seems to be consensus that a glass
a day is a good idea.

About beer: I hear that some archeologists believe that people started
cultivating grains to make beer, not bread :-)