Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Best meatloaf I've ever made!

Thanks to whoever it was who told me to sauté the vegetables first. I can't
remember now who it was, but I think it was either Wendy, Evelyn, Susan or
Peppermint Patootie. Maybe all of them.

This time I used a large onion, a small zucchini, three huge cremini
mushrooms, several handfuls of spinach, a green pepper, and several baby
carrots. I sautéed them until almost dry. They were chopped well prior to
cooking. To help dry them out I added some "Just Peppers" red bell peppers.
These are freeze dried. Then when I mixed it all up today, I decided to add
more of those peppers, some white onion of that brand, and also some dried
celery and parsley.

I used a single serve can of V8 and quite a lot of ketchup. Also a couple
of small handfuls of gluten free oats that had been whizzed in the blender.
Plenty of black pepper, Italian seasoning, some salt and three pounds or
organic ground beef. Really lean. Oh! And two little containers of baby
food squash.

My only complaint is that I used a different brand of chili sauce. I
normally buy some homemade stuff at Central Market, but Angela wanted the
Heinz because it says "gluten free" on the bottle. There is something I
don't quite like so much about the flavor. I don't know what it is. A
seasoning I think. And it seems pretty salty. If I use it again, I will
mix it with ketchup. It's not really bad. I just like the other kind a lot
better! I put the chili sauce over the top.

I wound up with 9 good sized meatloaves. Angela was unable to finish hers
and that's rare for her. We each had one and I will put the rest in the
freezer. Have to put them up individually because there is precious little
room in the freezer!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
> Thanks to whoever it was who told me to sauté the vegetables first. I
> can't remember now who it was, but I think it was either Wendy,
> Evelyn, Susan or Peppermint Patootie. Maybe all of them.

It's a technique I first saw in The Silver Palate New Basics recipe for,
IIRC, Front Street Meatloaf. Really good.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Mon, 27 Dec 2010 18:50:18 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>Thanks to whoever it was who told me to sauté the vegetables first. I can't
>remember now who it was, but I think it was either Wendy, Evelyn, Susan or
>Peppermint Patootie. Maybe all of them.
>
>This time I used a large onion, a small zucchini, three huge cremini
>mushrooms, several handfuls of spinach, a green pepper, and several baby
>carrots. I sautéed them until almost dry. They were chopped well prior to
>cooking. To help dry them out I added some "Just Peppers" red bell peppers.
>These are freeze dried. Then when I mixed it all up today, I decided to add
>more of those peppers, some white onion of that brand, and also some dried
>celery and parsley.
>
>I used a single serve can of V8 and quite a lot of ketchup. Also a couple
>of small handfuls of gluten free oats that had been whizzed in the blender.
>Plenty of black pepper, Italian seasoning, some salt and three pounds or
>organic ground beef. Really lean. Oh! And two little containers of baby
>food squash.
>
>My only complaint is that I used a different brand of chili sauce. I
>normally buy some homemade stuff at Central Market, but Angela wanted the
>Heinz because it says "gluten free" on the bottle. There is something I
>don't quite like so much about the flavor. I don't know what it is. A
>seasoning I think. And it seems pretty salty. If I use it again, I will
>mix it with ketchup. It's not really bad. I just like the other kind a lot
>better! I put the chili sauce over the top.
>

>I wound up with 9 good sized meatloaves. Angela was unable to finish hers
>and that's rare for her. We each had one and I will put the rest in the
>freezer. Have to put them up individually because there is precious little
>room in the freezer!

Hi Julie,

It was probably me who told you to sautee the veggies first. I always
do that and it works beautifully. This is what I use.

Onions (chopped)
Celery "
Carrots finely diced

I sautee them till they are tender, then let them cool down. Then I
combine them with the meat, egg, breadcrumbs (or oats) and add salt,
pepper and chopped fresh parsley, mix well with my hands and form into
a large loaf, which I top with ketchup before I bake it.

I bake it for about an hour at 375.

Sometimes I use just beef and sometimes I add a bit of ground pork to
it.

Glad it worked out for you.

Evelyn
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> Thanks to whoever it was who told me to sauté the vegetables first. I
>> can't remember now who it was, but I think it was either Wendy,
>> Evelyn, Susan or Peppermint Patootie. Maybe all of them.

> It's a technique I first saw in The Silver Palate New Basics recipe for,
> IIRC, Front Street Meatloaf. Really good.

Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 27 Dec 2010 18:50:18 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>Thanks to whoever it was who told me to sauté the vegetables first. I
>>can't
>>remember now who it was, but I think it was either Wendy, Evelyn, Susan or
>>Peppermint Patootie. Maybe all of them.
>>
>>This time I used a large onion, a small zucchini, three huge cremini
>>mushrooms, several handfuls of spinach, a green pepper, and several baby
>>carrots. I sautéed them until almost dry. They were chopped well prior
>>cooking. To help dry them out I added some "Just Peppers" red bell
>>peppers.
>>These are freeze dried. Then when I mixed it all up today, I decided to
>>add
>>more of those peppers, some white onion of that brand, and also some dried
>>celery and parsley.
>>
>>I used a single serve can of V8 and quite a lot of ketchup. Also a couple
>>of small handfuls of gluten free oats that had been whizzed in the
>>blender.
>>Plenty of black pepper, Italian seasoning, some salt and three pounds or
>>organic ground beef. Really lean. Oh! And two little containers of baby
>>food squash.
>>
>>My only complaint is that I used a different brand of chili sauce. I
>>normally buy some homemade stuff at Central Market, but Angela wanted the
>>Heinz because it says "gluten free" on the bottle. There is something I
>>don't quite like so much about the flavor. I don't know what it is. A
>>seasoning I think. And it seems pretty salty. If I use it again, I will
>>mix it with ketchup. It's not really bad. I just like the other kind a
>>lot
>>better! I put the chili sauce over the top.
>>

>>I wound up with 9 good sized meatloaves. Angela was unable to finish hers
>>and that's rare for her. We each had one and I will put the rest in the
>>freezer. Have to put them up individually because there is precious
>>little
>>room in the freezer!

> Hi Julie,
>
> It was probably me who told you to sautee the veggies first. I always
> do that and it works beautifully. This is what I use.
>
> Onions (chopped)
> Celery "
> Carrots finely diced
>
> I sautee them till they are tender, then let them cool down. Then I
> combine them with the meat, egg, breadcrumbs (or oats) and add salt,
> pepper and chopped fresh parsley, mix well with my hands and form into
> a large loaf, which I top with ketchup before I bake it.
>
> I bake it for about an hour at 375.
>
> Sometimes I use just beef and sometimes I add a bit of ground pork to
> it.
>
> Glad it worked out for you.

Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Janet" > wrote:

> Julie Bove wrote:
> > Thanks to whoever it was who told me to sauté the vegetables first. I
> > can't remember now who it was, but I think it was either Wendy,
> > Evelyn, Susan or Peppermint Patootie. Maybe all of them.

> It's a technique I first saw in The Silver Palate New Basics recipe for,
> IIRC, Front Street Meatloaf. Really good.

I would have said it if prompted with the right info/question. Dunno if
I did, though.

PP
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Peppermint Patootie wrote:
> In article >,
> "Janet" > wrote:
>
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>> Thanks to whoever it was who told me to sauté the vegetables first.
>>> I can't remember now who it was, but I think it was either Wendy,
>>> Evelyn, Susan or Peppermint Patootie. Maybe all of them.

>> It's a technique I first saw in The Silver Palate New Basics recipe
>> for, IIRC, Front Street Meatloaf. Really good.

> I would have said it if prompted with the right info/question. Dunno
> if I did, though.
>
> PP

I just remembered that it is "Market Street" meatloaf. Duh.