Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Holiday goodies.

It's getting to that time of year. Are you going to be making any goodies?
I don't know if I will or not. Not sure what we're doing for dinner. Last
year we went out for Mexican food.

One year I made some nuts that were my version of Sahale Snacks, a fruit and
nut mix that is made locally.

I started with a couple of dried dates that had been mixed with water and
whizzed in the food processor. This added sweetness. I then soaked some
raw pecan halves and unsweetened dried cranberries in this mix for about a
half an hour. I then mixed in plenty of freshly ground black pepper and
some freshly grated orange zest.

I spread this mix out in my dehydrator and let it dry out on a low temp for
about a day. I can't remember the exact amount of time. It will vary
depending on the temperature in the kitchen and the humidity level. The end
result will be crisp and slightly sticky.

I also tried making a fruitcake but mostly that didn't pan out. I used to
make one from an old cookbook that was mostly assorted fruits and nuts with
just enough cake to hold it together. The problem? It made a ton! I was
sending/giving cakes to everyone I knew. And I still had a lot left.

So I tried making a cake that was mostly fruits and nuts. I did manage to
find a container of assorted fruits at Central Market. To get a really good
cake, you need a bit of everything, IMO. The problem there? The carb
count. Because the fruit is steeped in sugar syrup, it's just not good for
a diabetic. I ate just one piece of fruit and one nut and it still spiked
me. And nobody really liked it because I had to make it without eggs and
butter. Bleh.

Another thing I like to do is take some walnuts or pecans and lightly
drizzle them with a melted dark chocolate. Then let them set up.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Dec 10, 10:25*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> It's getting to that time of year. *Are you going to be making any goodies?
> I don't know if I will or not. *Not sure what we're doing for dinner. *Last
> year we went out for Mexican food.
>
> One year I made some nuts that were my version of Sahale Snacks, a fruit and
> nut mix that is made locally.
>
> I started with a couple of dried dates that had been mixed with water and
> whizzed in the food processor. *This added sweetness. *I then soaked some
> raw pecan halves and unsweetened dried cranberries in this mix for about a
> half an hour. *I then mixed in plenty of freshly ground black pepper and
> some freshly grated orange zest.
>
> I spread this mix out in my dehydrator and let it dry out on a low temp for
> about a day. *I can't remember the exact amount of time. *It will vary
> depending on the temperature in the kitchen and the humidity level. *The end
> result will be crisp and slightly sticky.
>
> I also tried making a fruitcake but mostly that didn't pan out. *I used to
> make one from an old cookbook that was mostly assorted fruits and nuts with
> just enough cake to hold it together. *The problem? *It made a ton! *I was
> sending/giving cakes to everyone I knew. *And I still had a lot left.
>
> So I tried making a cake that was mostly fruits and nuts. *I did manage to
> find a container of assorted fruits at Central Market. *To get a really good
> cake, you need a bit of everything, IMO. *The problem there? *The carb
> count. *Because the fruit is steeped in sugar syrup, it's just not good for
> a diabetic. *I ate just one piece of fruit and one nut and it still spiked
> me. *And nobody really liked it because I had to make it without eggs and
> butter. *Bleh.
>
> Another thing I like to do is take some walnuts or pecans and lightly
> drizzle them with a melted dark chocolate. *Then let them set up.

That actually sounds good.

As for me, I think the biggest thing I'll make is my lasagna. I'm
going to try to find a way to make it *just as good* only with pasta
and such that isn't "as bad" for me.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Sarinja > wrote:
: On Dec 10, 10:25?pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
: > Another thing I like to do is take some walnuts or pecans and lightly
: > drizzle them with a melted dark chocolate. ?Then let them set up.

: That actually sounds good.

: As for me, I think the biggest thing I'll make is my lasagna. I'm
: going to try to find a way to make it *just as good* only with pasta
: and such that isn't "as bad" for me.

You can make lower carb ones, by replacing all or part of the pasta with
horizontally sliced zuchinni and/or eggplant. You don't have to precook
it or bread it or anthing, just use it in place of the lasagna noodles.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Sarinja > wrote:
> : On Dec 10, 10:25?pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> : > Another thing I like to do is take some walnuts or pecans and lightly
> : > drizzle them with a melted dark chocolate. ?Then let them set up.
>
> : That actually sounds good.
>
> : As for me, I think the biggest thing I'll make is my lasagna. I'm
> : going to try to find a way to make it *just as good* only with pasta
> : and such that isn't "as bad" for me.
>
> You can make lower carb ones, by replacing all or part of the pasta with
> horizontally sliced zuchinni and/or eggplant. You don't have to precook
> it or bread it or anthing, just use it in place of the lasagna noodles.

I've done it with zucchini and kids like it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 22:57:01 +0000, W. Baker wrote:

> Sarinja > wrote:
> : On Dec 10, 10:25?pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote: : >
> Another thing I like to do is take some walnuts or pecans and lightly :
> > drizzle them with a melted dark chocolate. ?Then let them set up.

> : That actually sounds good.
>
> : As for me, I think the biggest thing I'll make is my lasagna. I'm :
> going to try to find a way to make it *just as good* only with pasta :
> and such that isn't "as bad" for me.
>
> You can make lower carb ones, by replacing all or part of the pasta with
> horizontally sliced zuchinni and/or eggplant. You don't have to precook
> it or bread it or anthing, just use it in place of the lasagna noodles.
>
> Wendy

With eggplant and ground mutton/lamb you get moussaka - yum :-)

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
> "W. Baker" > wrote in message
>> Sarinja > wrote:

>>> That actually sounds good.

>>> As for me, I think the biggest thing I'll make is my lasagna. I'm
>>> going to try to find a way to make it *just as good* only with pasta
>>> and such that isn't "as bad" for me.

>> You can make lower carb ones, by replacing all or part of the pasta
>> with horizontally sliced zuchinni and/or eggplant. You don't have
>> to precook it or bread it or anthing, just use it in place of the
>> lasagna noodles.

> I've done it with zucchini and kids like it.

Do you find that it exudes a lot of water? Have you tried salting it and
letting it stand for a while first? Or is that not necessary?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:

>>> You can make lower carb ones, by replacing all or part of the pasta
>>> with horizontally sliced zuchinni and/or eggplant. You don't have
>>> to precook it or bread it or anthing, just use it in place of the
>>> lasagna noodles.

>> I've done it with zucchini and kids like it.

> Do you find that it exudes a lot of water? Have you tried salting it and
> letting it stand for a while first? Or is that not necessary?

I sauté it first. No need to salt.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

the whole grain lasagna noodles are higher in fiber and protien, but still
do contain carbs, add lots of minced veggies and make sure to calculate and
you should be fine, this is one of those meals once made, can be portioned,
frozen and reheats wonderfully in the nuker, Lee
"Sarinja" > wrote in message
On Dec 10, 10:25 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> It's getting to that time of year. Are you going to be making any goodies?
> I don't know if I will or not. Not sure what we're doing for dinner. Last
> year we went out for Mexican food.
>
> One year I made some nuts that were my version of Sahale Snacks, a fruit
> and
> nut mix that is made locally.
>
> I started with a couple of dried dates that had been mixed with water and
> whizzed in the food processor. This added sweetness. I then soaked some
> raw pecan halves and unsweetened dried cranberries in this mix for about a
> half an hour. I then mixed in plenty of freshly ground black pepper and
> some freshly grated orange zest.
>
> I spread this mix out in my dehydrator and let it dry out on a low temp
> for
> about a day. I can't remember the exact amount of time. It will vary
> depending on the temperature in the kitchen and the humidity level. The
> end
> result will be crisp and slightly sticky.
>
> I also tried making a fruitcake but mostly that didn't pan out. I used to
> make one from an old cookbook that was mostly assorted fruits and nuts
> with
> just enough cake to hold it together. The problem? It made a ton! I was
> sending/giving cakes to everyone I knew. And I still had a lot left.
>
> So I tried making a cake that was mostly fruits and nuts. I did manage to
> find a container of assorted fruits at Central Market. To get a really
> good
> cake, you need a bit of everything, IMO. The problem there? The carb
> count. Because the fruit is steeped in sugar syrup, it's just not good for
> a diabetic. I ate just one piece of fruit and one nut and it still spiked
> me. And nobody really liked it because I had to make it without eggs and
> butter. Bleh.
>
> Another thing I like to do is take some walnuts or pecans and lightly
> drizzle them with a melted dark chocolate. Then let them set up.

That actually sounds good.

As for me, I think the biggest thing I'll make is my lasagna. I'm
going to try to find a way to make it *just as good* only with pasta
and such that isn't "as bad" for me.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I WANT AN OVEN NOW!!!!
"Bjørn Steensrud" > wrote in message
news
> On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 22:57:01 +0000, W. Baker wrote:
>
>> Sarinja > wrote:
>> : On Dec 10, 10:25?pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote: : >
>> Another thing I like to do is take some walnuts or pecans and lightly :
>> > drizzle them with a melted dark chocolate. ?Then let them set up.

>> : That actually sounds good.
>>
>> : As for me, I think the biggest thing I'll make is my lasagna. I'm :
>> going to try to find a way to make it *just as good* only with pasta :
>> and such that isn't "as bad" for me.
>>
>> You can make lower carb ones, by replacing all or part of the pasta with
>> horizontally sliced zuchinni and/or eggplant. You don't have to precook
>> it or bread it or anthing, just use it in place of the lasagna noodles.
>>
>> Wendy

> With eggplant and ground mutton/lamb you get moussaka - yum :-)

Hard-to-find holiday goodies Christopher M.[_3_] General Cooking 0 07-12-2011 08:12 PM
TN Latour and other goodies John T Wine 1 06-04-2008 05:36 PM
All my goodies. Julie Bove Diabetic 2 24-12-2007 05:44 PM
REQ: Panforte (Italian fruitcake) and other Italian Holiday goodies anna maria General Cooking 1 01-12-2003 04:09 PM