Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default my current fav thing..

lately I have been using large broccoli stems cooked slowly in chicken
stock with a bit of onion and garlic and it tastes just like potato to
me..very good.

I also have been buying marrow bones and ox tails and cooking them with the
broccoli and thats amazingly tasty!

stupid grocery store raised the price of them because they must have thought
oooh somebody is buying these..lol..they were 90 cents a pound and jumped to
5..outraged I told the butcher that was ridiculous and refused to buy them
and the next week they were back to normal..tsk.

he conceded few people buy them which is sad..same for beef rib tips/rib
Letts...nobody wants to spend the time braising them till tender.

I will have to special order them to make my beef short ribs braised in
wine.

my wife loves the flavor of the broccoli but refuses to eat the bone
marrow..lol

KROM

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i vote with your wife, my DH would vote with you, Lee
"KROM" > wrote in message
> lately I have been using large broccoli stems cooked slowly in chicken
> stock with a bit of onion and garlic and it tastes just like potato to
> me..very good.
>
> I also have been buying marrow bones and ox tails and cooking them with
> the broccoli and that's amazingly tasty!
>
> stupid grocery store raised the price of them because they must have
> thought oooh somebody is buying these..lol..they were 90 cents a pound and
> jumped to 5..outraged I told the butcher that was ridiculous and refused
> to buy them and the next week they were back to normal..tsk.
>
> he conceded few people buy them which is sad..same for beef rib tips/rib
> Letts...nobody wants to spend the time braising them till tender.
>
> I will have to special order them to make my beef short ribs braised in
> wine.
>
> my wife loves the flavor of the broccoli but refuses to eat the bone
> marrow..lol
>
> KROM

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"KROM" > wrote in message
> lately I have been using large broccoli stems cooked slowly in chicken
> stock with a bit of onion and garlic and it tastes just like potato to
> me..very good.
>
> I also have been buying marrow bones and ox tails and cooking them with
> the broccoli and that's amazingly tasty!
>
> stupid grocery store raised the price of them because they must have
> thought oooh somebody is buying these..lol..they were 90 cents a pound and
> jumped to 5..outraged I told the butcher that was ridiculous and refused
> to buy them and the next week they were back to normal..tsk.
>
> he conceded few people buy them which is sad..same for beef rib tips/rib
> Letts...nobody wants to spend the time braising them till tender.
>
> I will have to special order them to make my beef short ribs braised in
> wine.
>
> my wife loves the flavor of the broccoli but refuses to eat the bone
> marrow..lol

I do not see how cooked broccoli could taste like potato. The taste of
cooked broccoli is so vile to me, I have to spit it out as soon as it
touches my tongue! I can't eat any dish that has even a tiny bit of
broccoli in it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:

: "KROM" > wrote in message
: ...
: > lately I have been using large broccoli stems cooked slowly in chicken
: > stock with a bit of onion and garlic and it tastes just like potato to
: > me..very good.
: >
[...]

The stems, tough old things, probably woudl cook up to , say mash, very
like the caulifower we use for fautates. Both are related to cabbage, but
can get beyond the cabbage taste and then might well work as a kind of
fauxtato. Of course, if you KNOW it is broccoli in the dish it would turn
horrid for you. The mind can do remarkable things in guiding our taste.
We all knolw abaout getting kids to eat vegetables by pureeing them or
finely chopping them and puting them in meatloaves or meatballs. If they
knowhte vegetables are in there they won't like or eat it, but if not, may
well enjo their meat a great deal.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"W. Baker" > wrote:

> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
> : "KROM" > wrote in message
> : ...
> : > lately I have been using large broccoli stems cooked slowly in chicken
> : > stock with a bit of onion and garlic and it tastes just like potato to
> : > me..very good.
> : >
> : > I also have been buying marrow bones and ox tails and cooking them with
> : > the broccoli and that's amazingly tasty!
> : >
> : > stupid grocery store raised the price of them because they must have
> : > thought oooh somebody is buying these..lol..they were 90 cents a pound
> : > and
> : > jumped to 5..outraged I told the butcher that was ridiculous and refused
> : > to buy them and the next week they were back to normal..tsk.
> : >
> : > he conceded few people buy them which is sad..same for beef rib tips/rib
> : > Letts...nobody wants to spend the time braising them till tender.
> : >
> : > I will have to special order them to make my beef short ribs braised in
> : > wine.
> : >
> : > my wife loves the flavor of the broccoli but refuses to eat the bone
> : > marrow..lol
>
> : I do not see how cooked broccoli could taste like potato. The taste of
> : cooked broccoli is so vile to me, I have to spit it out as soon as it
> : touches my tongue! I can't eat any dish that has even a tiny bit of
> : broccoli in it.
> The stems, tough old things, probably woudl cook up to , say mash, very
> like the caulifower we use for fautates. Both are related to cabbage, but
> can get beyond the cabbage taste and then might well work as a kind of
> fauxtato. Of course, if you KNOW it is broccoli in the dish it would turn
> horrid for you. The mind can do remarkable things in guiding our taste.
> We all knolw abaout getting kids to eat vegetables by pureeing them or
> finely chopping them and puting them in meatloaves or meatballs. If they
> knowhte vegetables are in there they won't like or eat it, but if not, may
> well enjo their meat a great deal.
>
> Wendy

My MIL peeled the stems and was happy with the results. A 94 year old
swede.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

Daniel Moynihan and Dennis Kucinich in 2012 !

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
> : "KROM" > wrote in message
> : ...
> : > lately I have been using large broccoli stems cooked slowly in chicken
> : > stock with a bit of onion and garlic and it tastes just like potato to
> : > me..very good.
> : >
> : > I also have been buying marrow bones and ox tails and cooking them
> with
> : > the broccoli and that's amazingly tasty!
> : >
> : > stupid grocery store raised the price of them because they must have
> : > thought oooh somebody is buying these..lol..they were 90 cents a pound
> and
> : > jumped to 5..outraged I told the butcher that was ridiculous and
> refused
> : > to buy them and the next week they were back to normal..tsk.
> : >
> : > he conceded few people buy them which is sad..same for beef rib
> tips/rib
> : > Letts...nobody wants to spend the time braising them till tender.
> : >
> : > I will have to special order them to make my beef short ribs braised
> in
> : > wine.
> : >
> : > my wife loves the flavor of the broccoli but refuses to eat the bone
> : > marrow..lol
>
> : I do not see how cooked broccoli could taste like potato. The taste of
> : cooked broccoli is so vile to me, I have to spit it out as soon as it
> : touches my tongue! I can't eat any dish that has even a tiny bit of
> : broccoli in it.
> The stems, tough old things, probably woudl cook up to , say mash, very
> like the caulifower we use for fautates. Both are related to cabbage, but
> can get beyond the cabbage taste and then might well work as a kind of
> fauxtato. Of course, if you KNOW it is broccoli in the dish it would turn
> horrid for you. The mind can do remarkable things in guiding our taste.
> We all knolw abaout getting kids to eat vegetables by pureeing them or
> finely chopping them and puting them in meatloaves or meatballs. If they
> knowhte vegetables are in there they won't like or eat it, but if not, may
> well enjo their meat a great deal.

I can not stand most cooked cauliflower either and would not like faux
potatoes. I did eat some soup at a Russian place in NY that contained
cauliflower and I did like that. But I've never liked it in anything else.
If someone were to put broccoli or cauliflower in a meatloaf, I could surely
taste it and would not eat it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

yes it is the stems that have the potato flavor when cooked in chicken
stock or broth until tender..I cube them before cooking so their small size
cooks faster and absorbs more flavor.

I HATE veggies..I'm a pure meat guy..but I always noticed the broccoli in
Chinese food was usually fairly edible to a person like me who despises the
green stuff.

so for years I have messed about with cooking it in a way I would like.

the combination of cooking the stems in the broth..and especially with bone
marrow makes them change flavor..they become sweet not bitter...very good.

the tops would be overcooked mush fyi...its the hard stems that
transform..if you every peeled one you'd see they are nearly white inside
and fairly flavorless even raw....its the dark green bits that are bitter.

KROM

"W. Baker" wrote in message ...

Julie Bove > wrote:

: "KROM" > wrote in message
: ...
[...]

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

yes I probably wasnt clear I meant I use the inner white of the stems
cooked in broth and they taste and have the texture of potato...very good.

it was a Chinese chef who I first heard mention using the peeled stems years
ago.

for me and wife its a jack sprat thing..she eats the tops..I eat the peeled
stems...lol

KROM

"Bill who putters" wrote
My MIL peeled the stems and was happy with the results. A 94 year old
swede.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

KROM > wrote:
: yes I probably wasn?t clear I meant I use the inner white of the stems
: cooked in broth and they taste and have the texture of potato...very good.

: it was a Chinese chef who I first heard mention using the peeled stems years
: ago.

: for me and wife it?s a jack sprat thing..she eats the tops..I eat the peeled
: stems...lol

: KROM

You are welcome to my ouse any time. I just love the tops and do eat the
stems, as I won't waste food, but would love to have someone over for
dinner who prefers the stems:-)

I was lucky with cicken as my late husband preferred the leg of roast
chicken and I, the breast, so we never had to fight over it:-)

6 months today since Syd died. I miss him and dropped a few tears today,
but, n general am getting on with my life and find that I even enjoy my
own company. Only problem is finding a good way to cook for 1 with
enough variety.

Wendy

: "Bill who p
utters" wrote
: My MIL peeled the stems and was happy with the results. A 94 year old
: swede.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"KROM" > wrote in message
> yes it is the stems that have the potato flavor when cooked in chicken
> stock or broth until tender..I cube them before cooking so their small
> size cooks faster and absorbs more flavor.
>
> I HATE veggies..I'm a pure meat guy..but I always noticed the broccoli in
> Chinese food was usually fairly edible to a person like me who despises
> the green stuff.
>
> so for years I have messed about with cooking it in a way I would like.
>
> the combination of cooking the stems in the broth..and especially with
> bone marrow makes them change flavor..they become sweet not bitter...very
> good.
>
> the tops would be overcooked mush fyi...it's the hard stems that
> transform..if you every peeled one you'd see they are nearly white inside
> and fairly flavorless even raw....it's the dark green bits that are
> bitter.

Hmmm... Strange. My husband is a big meat eater and doesn't really like
veggies either. But he will eat huge amounts of either broccoli or
asparagus. He thinks they taste good. I can not stand the taste or the
aroma of either. He will also eat baby carrots but only with hummus.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i am truly sorry for your loss, and it will be more bearable in time... as
to the variety you can cook/freeze, or is there someone close who either has
trouble cooking or is not as healthy as you need to be to cook for: Lee
"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> KROM > wrote:
> : yes I probably wasn?t clear I meant I use the inner white of the stems
> : cooked in broth and they taste and have the texture of potato...very
> good.
>
> : it was a Chinese chef who I first heard mention using the peeled stems
> years
> : ago.
>
> : for me and wife it?s a jack sprat thing..she eats the tops..I eat the
> peeled
> : stems...lol
>
> : KROM
>
> You are welcome to my ouse any time. I just love the tops and do eat the
> stems, as I won't waste food, but would love to have someone over for
> dinner who prefers the stems:-)
>
> I was lucky with cicken as my late husband preferred the leg of roast
> chicken and I, the breast, so we never had to fight over it:-)
>
> 6 months today since Syd died. I miss him and dropped a few tears today,
> but, n general am getting on with my life and find that I even enjoy my
> own company. Only problem is finding a good way to cook for 1 with
> enough variety.
>
> Wendy
>
> : "Bill who p
> utters" wrote
> : My MIL peeled the stems and was happy with the results. A 94 year old
> : swede.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

?great idea!

helping some older/disabled person who needs help with meals would be a
great way to deal with extras..especially if one enjoys cooking for others.

plus helping others always makes life better!

or freeze the left overs or make a meal day one and eat half and the other
half for lunch next day.

I love lock n lock containers they are much better then the classic
tuperware and keep food fresh a long time..you can get it pretty much
everywhere now but I think it was qvc years ago that first had them..was
perhaps the only real deal I got from them..lol

KROM

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> KROM > wrote:
> : yes I probably wasn?t clear I meant I use the inner white of the stems
> : cooked in broth and they taste and have the texture of potato...very
> good.
>
> : it was a Chinese chef who I first heard mention using the peeled stems
> years
> : ago.
>
> : for me and wife it?s a jack sprat thing..she eats the tops..I eat the
> peeled
> : stems...lol
>
> : KROM
>
> You are welcome to my ouse any time. I just love the tops and do eat the
> stems, as I won't waste food, but would love to have someone over for
> dinner who prefers the stems:-)
>
> I was lucky with cicken as my late husband preferred the leg of roast
> chicken and I, the breast, so we never had to fight over it:-)
>
> 6 months today since Syd died. I miss him and dropped a few tears today,
> but, n general am getting on with my life and find that I even enjoy my
> own company. Only problem is finding a good way to cook for 1 with
> enough variety.
>
> Wendy
>
> : "Bill who p
> utters" wrote
> : My MIL peeled the stems and was happy with the results. A 94 year old
> : swede.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

?:-)

we need to get those food teleporters going so you can foodmail (like email
but with food) me that great food!

as far as chicken,my wife eats the breast meat I eat the rest I'm even known
to try to eat the marrow and my favorite part is the parsons nose.

she no matter how done the meat is of any type will nuke it until its dry as
a bone

sure this hurts me a bit when we eat prime rib or dry aged steaks..but as
long as she enjoys it I'm happy.

the older I get the faster time seems..I cant believe its been six months
already...

<<hug>>

I know he is proud of how well your doing

I'm sure a few tears will be shed many more times until your rejoined..it is
only natural..but soon those tears will be happy memories of him and happy
times instead of just loss and deep sorrow.

KROM

"W. Baker" wrote ...

You are welcome to my ouse any time. I just love the tops and do eat the
stems, as I won't waste food, but would love to have someone over for
dinner who prefers the stems:-)

I was lucky with cicken as my late husband preferred the leg of roast
chicken and I, the breast, so we never had to fight over it:-)

6 months today since Syd died. I miss him and dropped a few tears today,
but, n general am getting on with my life and find that I even enjoy my
own company. Only problem is finding a good way to cook for 1 with
enough variety.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

we had just gotten some farberwear versions of those locking containers...
really liked them too, that is until the fireate them, Lee
"KROM" > wrote in message
> ?great idea!
>
> helping some older/disabled person who needs help with meals would be a
> great way to deal with extras..especially if one enjoys cooking for
> others.
>
> plus helping others always makes life better!
>
> or freeze the left overs or make a meal day one and eat half and the other
> half for lunch next day.
>
> I love lock n lock containers they are much better then the classic
> tuperware and keep food fresh a long time..you can get it pretty much
> everywhere now but I think it was qvc years ago that first had them..was
> perhaps the only real deal I got from them..lol
>

> KROM
>
> "Storrmmee" wrote in message ...
>
> i am truly sorry for your loss, and it will be more bearable in time... as
> to the variety you can cook/freeze, or is there someone close who either
> has
> trouble cooking or is not as healthy as you need to be to cook for: Lee
> "W. Baker" > wrote in message
>> KROM > wrote:
>> : yes I probably wasn?t clear I meant I use the inner white of the stems
>> : cooked in broth and they taste and have the texture of potato...very
>> good.
>>
>> : it was a Chinese chef who I first heard mention using the peeled stems
>> years
>> : ago.
>>
>> : for me and wife it?s a jack sprat thing..she eats the tops..I eat the
>> peeled
>> : stems...lol
>>
>> : KROM
>>
>> You are welcome to my ouse any time. I just love the tops and do eat the
>> stems, as I won't waste food, but would love to have someone over for
>> dinner who prefers the stems:-)
>>
>> I was lucky with cicken as my late husband preferred the leg of roast
>> chicken and I, the breast, so we never had to fight over it:-)
>>
>> 6 months today since Syd died. I miss him and dropped a few tears today,
>> but, n general am getting on with my life and find that I even enjoy my
>> own company. Only problem is finding a good way to cook for 1 with
>> enough variety.
>>
>> Wendy
>>
>> : "Bill who p
>> utters" wrote
>> : My MIL peeled the stems and was happy with the results. A 94 year old
>> : swede.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

?sorry about the fire..that stinks

I suppose a bright side is you can get new stuff..

KROM

"Storrmmee" wrote in message ...

we had just gotten some farberwear versions of those locking containers...
really liked them too, that is until the fireate them, Lee

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i am looking on the bright side, its slow going, but the ins co is being
decent, and i am at least going to get a house closer to what we need, it
will be smaller i am sure, but it will need less upkeep and hopefully will
use less energy... I just got my new talking kitchen scale and weight scale
and talking clock. Lee
"KROM" > wrote in message
> ?sorry about the fire..that stinks
>
> I suppose a bright side is you can get new stuff..
>
> KROM
>

> "Storrmmee" wrote in message ...
> we had just gotten some farberwear versions of those locking containers...
> really liked them too, that is until the fireate them, Lee

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

?if you can, use icenine or closed cell foam insulation...will make the new
house much warmer and waterproof

KROM

"KROM" > wrote in message
> ?sorry about the fire..that stinks
>
> I suppose a bright side is you can get new stuff..
>
> KROM
>

> "Storrmmee" wrote in message ...
> we had just gotten some farberwear versions of those locking containers...
> really liked them too, that is until the fireate them, Lee

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

thanks for the tip, Lee
"KROM" > wrote in message
> ?if you can, use icenine or closed cell foam insulation...will make the
> new house much warmer and waterproof
>
> KROM
>

> "Storrmmee" wrote in message ...
>
> i am looking on the bright side, its slow going, but the ins co is being
> decent, and i am at least going to get a house closer to what we need, it
> will be smaller i am sure, but it will need less upkeep and hopefully
> will
> use less energy... I just got my new talking kitchen scale and weight
> scale
> and talking clock. Lee
> "KROM" > wrote in message
>> ?sorry about the fire..that stinks
>>
>> I suppose a bright side is you can get new stuff..
>>
>> KROM
>>

>> "Storrmmee" wrote in message ...
>> we had just gotten some farberwear versions of those locking
>> containers... really liked them too, that is until the fireate them, Lee

Current Best Tea Sites? Aaron W. Hsu Tea 11 09-06-2014 06:41 PM
Current food fads Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 18 15-12-2013 06:53 AM
The current state of tea. Mydnight Tea 1 26-11-2012 10:31 AM
O.T. (no bbq content), Our current spammer Brian Barbecue 4 05-01-2008 05:35 PM
Current Top 10 Douglas W Hoyt Beer 3 08-02-2007 01:57 AM