Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Low Carb Pumpkin Cheesecake Recipe?

Does anyone have a recipe for this that they have actually made and like?

Previously, when I made cheesecake, I used Rose Levy Beranbaum's recipe in
The Cake Bible, which is superb. Although at some point I may try making
that with some kind of artificial sweetener, I wanted to make a pumpkin one
for Thanksgiving. I do not want to make a "tester," since a) I don't have
time, and b) then I would eat it. <G> I am hoping that the pumpkin and
spices would mask the use of artificial sweetener to some degree. I note
that some people use a combination of sweeteners, too. I was going to get
Sweetzfree, but forgot to order it and now it may be too late.

Any advice?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I should add that I have found several recipes online that sound good. What
worries me is the Splenda. I've never cooked with the stuff, and I've noted
that people talk about an aftertaste. Has anyone tried one of the stevia
products, such as Truvia, instead? Do you mix sweeteners? That's the part of
it that I need advice about.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet > wrote:
: I should add that I have found several recipes online that sound good. What
: worries me is the Splenda. I've never cooked with the stuff, and I've noted
: that people talk about an aftertaste. Has anyone tried one of the stevia
: products, such as Truvia, instead? Do you mix sweeteners? That's the part of
: it that I need advice about.
I have never made pumpkin cheesecake, but I have made both pumpkin pie and
lemon cheesecake using Splenda and find no problem. I do not get an
aftertaste and i have served this to family adn guests with no comments
on an off or aftertaaste. I am planning on doing my cranberry sauce,
pumkin pie(with nut crust instead of graham cracker) and one crust(upper)
apple pie abain this year as my contribution to my D-I-L's dinner.

Hint on pumpkin in a cheesecake-I was watching america's Test Kitchen the
other day and they dried out the canned pumpkin but spreading it on 3
papaer towel thik botom and three paper towel thick on top an let sit a
bit them peeled of the paper, etc. They did this pumpin sandwich on a
baking sheet.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet" > wrote in message
> Does anyone have a recipe for this that they have actually made and like?
>
> Previously, when I made cheesecake, I used Rose Levy Beranbaum's recipe in
> The Cake Bible, which is superb. Although at some point I may try making
> that with some kind of artificial sweetener, I wanted to make a pumpkin
> one for Thanksgiving. I do not want to make a "tester," since a) I don't
> have time, and b) then I would eat it. <G> I am hoping that the pumpkin
> and spices would mask the use of artificial sweetener to some degree. I
> note that some people use a combination of sweeteners, too. I was going to
> get Sweetzfree, but forgot to order it and now it may be too late.
>
> Any advice?

This is from the old ASDLC. It is very good.

Debbie's Pumpkin Cheesecake

6-8 oz Pecans
2 TB Splenda
5TB Butter- melted
4- 8oz package Philly Cream Cheese - room temp
3/4-1 cup Splenda
tsp. Cinnamon
tsp. Ground Ginger
1-15oz can Solid Pumpkin
3 Eggs
1Tb Vanilla

Preheat oven to 350. Crush nuts & Splenda in FP until finely chopped. Add
melted butter & process until moist.

Press nut mixture onto bottom & 1 inch up the sides of a springform pan.
Bake 10 minutes or until golden. Cool. Wrap bottom & a little up the side in
double thickness tin foil.

Beat cream cheese, Splenda, cinnamon & ginger until smooth. Add pumpkin,
beat until well blended. Add eggs & vanilla, beat until smooth. Pour into
crust. Set springform pan into a roasting pan, fill it with hot water about
an inch high. Bake 1 hour & 45 minutes or until top starts set & turns
golden. It's a lot of work but oh how delicious. I'm on PP so I deducted
fiber from nuts & pumpkin.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Cheri > wrote:

[...]

nteresting as there is sweetener only in the crust. Also, I
learned a no water bath method of bakign cheesecake form America's Test
Kitchen as my cheesecake always got wet feet. I put i into a 500F oven
tfor abou 15 mins then lower it WITHUT OPENING THE DOOR to 250 and let it
bake for about 50 mins total. until jiggly only in the senter. Let cool
for several hours in the oven with the door ajar.

Anyone remember that ki's riddle. when is a door not a door? When it's a
jar. One of my father's favorites

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"W. Baker" > wrote:

> Cheri > wrote:
>
> : This is from the old ASDLC. It is very good.
>
> : Debbie's Pumpkin Cheesecake
>
> : 6-8 oz Pecans
> : 2 TB Splenda
> : 5TB Butter- melted
> : 4- 8oz package Philly Cream Cheese - room temp
> : 3/4-1 cup Splenda
> : ? tsp. Cinnamon
> : ? tsp. Ground Ginger
> : 1-15oz can Solid Pumpkin
> : 3 Eggs
> : 1Tb Vanilla
>
> : Preheat oven to 350. Crush nuts & Splenda in FP until finely chopped. Add
> : melted butter & process until moist.
>
> : Press nut mixture onto bottom & 1 inch up the sides of a springform pan.
> : Bake 10 minutes or until golden. Cool. Wrap bottom & a little up the side
> : in
> : double thickness tin foil.
>
> : Beat cream cheese, Splenda, cinnamon & ginger until smooth. Add pumpkin,
> : beat until well blended. Add eggs & vanilla, beat until smooth. Pour into
> : crust. Set springform pan into a roasting pan, fill it with hot water about
> : an inch high. Bake 1 hour & 45 minutes or until top starts set & turns
> : golden. It's a lot of work but oh how delicious. I'm on PP so I deducted
> : fiber from nuts & pumpkin.
>
> nteresting as there is sweetener only in the crust. Also, I
> learned a no water bath method of bakign cheesecake form America's Test
> Kitchen as my cheesecake always got wet feet. I put i into a 500F oven
> tfor abou 15 mins then lower it WITHUT OPENING THE DOOR to 250 and let it
> bake for about 50 mins total. until jiggly only in the senter. Let cool
> for several hours in the oven with the door ajar.
>
> Anyone remember that ki's riddle. when is a door not a door? When it's a
> jar. One of my father's favorites

2TB splenda in crust, c. 3/4 cup in filling

--
"Isn't embarrassing to quote something you didn't read and then attack
what it didn't say?"--WG, where else but Usenet
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Cheri wrote:
> "Janet" > wrote in message
>> Does anyone have a recipe for this that they have actually made and
>> like? Previously, when I made cheesecake, I used Rose Levy Beranbaum's
>> recipe in The Cake Bible, which is superb. Although at some point I
>> may try making that with some kind of artificial sweetener, I wanted
>> to make a pumpkin one for Thanksgiving. I do not want to make a
>> "tester," since a) I don't have time, and b) then I would eat it.
>> <G> I am hoping that the pumpkin and spices would mask the use of
>> artificial sweetener to some degree. I note that some people use a
>> combination of sweeteners, too. I was going to get Sweetzfree, but
>> forgot to order it and now it may be too late. Any advice?

> This is from the old ASDLC. It is very good.
>
> Debbie's Pumpkin Cheesecake
>
> 6-8 oz Pecans
> 2 TB Splenda
> 5TB Butter- melted
> 4- 8oz package Philly Cream Cheese - room temp
> 3/4-1 cup Splenda
> tsp. Cinnamon
> tsp. Ground Ginger
> 1-15oz can Solid Pumpkin
> 3 Eggs
> 1Tb Vanilla

This recipe is interesting in that it uses 4 packages of cream cheese vs 3
for all the others I've found.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet > wrote:
: Cheri wrote:
: >
: > This is from the old ASDLC. It is very good.
: >
: > Debbie's Pumpkin Cheesecake
: >
: > 6-8 oz Pecans
: > 2 TB Splenda
: > 5TB Butter- melted
: > 4- 8oz package Philly Cream Cheese - room temp
: > 3/4-1 cup Splenda
: > ? tsp. Cinnamon
: > ? tsp. Ground Ginger
: > 1-15oz can Solid Pumpkin
: > 3 Eggs
: > 1Tb Vanilla

: This recipe is interesting in that it uses 4 packages of cream cheese vs 3
: for all the others I've found.
It also does not specify the size of the pan and used 3, not 2 as in many
recipes. I wonder if it ocoul dbe used in my 10" pan. I usually hav to
adjust quantities upward for my pan.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Janet" > wrote:

> Cheri wrote:
> > "Janet" > wrote in message
> >> Does anyone have a recipe for this that they have actually made and
> >> like? Previously, when I made cheesecake, I used Rose Levy Beranbaum's
> >> recipe in The Cake Bible, which is superb. Although at some point I
> >> may try making that with some kind of artificial sweetener, I wanted
> >> to make a pumpkin one for Thanksgiving. I do not want to make a
> >> "tester," since a) I don't have time, and b) then I would eat it.
> >> <G> I am hoping that the pumpkin and spices would mask the use of
> >> artificial sweetener to some degree. I note that some people use a
> >> combination of sweeteners, too. I was going to get Sweetzfree, but
> >> forgot to order it and now it may be too late. Any advice?

> > This is from the old ASDLC. It is very good.
> >
> > Debbie's Pumpkin Cheesecake
> >
> > 6-8 oz Pecans
> > 2 TB Splenda
> > 5TB Butter- melted
> > 4- 8oz package Philly Cream Cheese - room temp
> > 3/4-1 cup Splenda
> > tsp. Cinnamon
> > π tsp. Ground Ginger
> > 1-15oz can Solid Pumpkin
> > 3 Eggs
> > 1Tb Vanilla

> This recipe is interesting in that it uses 4 packages of cream cheese vs 3
> for all the others I've found.

I think it's just the standard cheesecake recipe on the Philly cream
cheese packages, with the pumpkin (and pumpkin pie spices) added. The
recipe on the package is definitely for 4 packages of cream cheese and 4
eggs (so I guess the pumpkin is replacing one egg).

--
"Isn't embarrassing to quote something you didn't read and then attack
what it didn't say?"--WG, where else but Usenet
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Well, I made the pumpkin cheesecake. I used the version that contained 3
pkgs cream cheese, heavy cream, and 5 whole eggs. No crust. I used the
method of removing moisture from pumpkin with paper towels recommended in
the magazine. IIRC, the recipe I used called for 1 1/2 cps of Splenda.
Everything about it was good but the degree of grossly fake sweetness, which
was far too much, despite adding a tablespoon of lemon juice. If I make it
again, I will cut the Splenda down to 3/4 cup. I would also consider using
egg yolks instead of 6 whole eggs. I have to admit that when cooking it I
was on the phone and missed the timer going off, so I cooked it perhaps 15
minutes longer than necessary. Nevertheless, the texture was actually good.