Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Tonight's dinner

I should know better by now than to buy a big bag of potatoes. But I did.
Yukon Gold. And many of them were sprouting.

I picked out all the ones that were still good. Cut them in little chunks
and fried them up in olive oil along with some Italian seasoning, onion
powder, sweet Hungarian paprika, salt and pepper. In the end, I had too
many. *sigh* I never seem to get that right. But they are good!

I had this with a hamburger patty topped with a big pile of shredded iceberg
lettuce that was about to go bad and some baby carrots and strips of red
bell pepper.

Angela chose a jar of toddler food for her protein. Chicken sticks. Yuck!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

ukon gold freez nice after you have made mashed potatoes, i rarely buy fresh
potatoes anymore, partly because of the carbs, partly because i love them
and partly because NO potato should cost over 23 cents a pound, mostly, well
before the fire, i bought frozen when on sale so they were affordable and
there was no waste, unfortunately in this hotel not enough freezer space for
that, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>I should know better by now than to buy a big bag of potatoes. But I did.
>Yukon Gold. And many of them were sprouting.
>
> I picked out all the ones that were still good. Cut them in little chunks
> and fried them up in olive oil along with some Italian seasoning, onion
> powder, sweet Hungarian paprika, salt and pepper. In the end, I had too
> many. *sigh* I never seem to get that right. But they are good!
>
> I had this with a hamburger patty topped with a big pile of shredded
> iceberg lettuce that was about to go bad and some baby carrots and strips
> of red bell pepper.
>
> Angela chose a jar of toddler food for her protein. Chicken sticks.
> Yuck!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Nov 15, 5:59*pm, "Storrmmee" > wrote:
> ukon gold freez nice after you have made mashed potatoes, i rarely buy fresh
> potatoes anymore, partly because of the carbs, partly because i love them
> and partly because NO potato should cost over 23 cents a pound, mostly, well
> before the fire, i bought frozen when on sale so they were affordable and
> there was no waste, unfortunately in this hotel not enough freezer space for
> that, Lee"

Oh yeah baby, I lurrrve yukon gold potatoes, especially mashed with
butter and nutmeg and salt and pepper. So you can freeze them all
ready mashed and ready to eat, then just microwave them? I wonder if
I could get them int the freezer before I eat them ;-) Potatoes are
relatively kind to my BG, especially prepared with butter or fried,
but portion size is definitely a struggle the calories worry me.

Have you an idea of when you might be back in your own home and done
with hotel living Lee?

..
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

any potato freezes excellently, make as if you were eating the whole pot
right now, my fantasy, then portion to what your bg can handle, that way you
aren't tempted, i do this not only for the carbs but calories as well, also,
i use fat free sour cream or cream cheese to flavor when worrying about
caloiries.

as to the house, no real clue yet, its moving along but very slowly, i
wouldn't wish this nightmare on my worst enemy, Lee
"Ricavito" > wrote in message
On Nov 15, 5:59 pm, "Storrmmee" > wrote:
> ukon gold freez nice after you have made mashed potatoes, i rarely buy
> fresh
> potatoes anymore, partly because of the carbs, partly because i love them
> and partly because NO potato should cost over 23 cents a pound, mostly,
> well
> before the fire, i bought frozen when on sale so they were affordable and
> there was no waste, unfortunately in this hotel not enough freezer space
> for
> that, Lee"

Oh yeah baby, I lurrrve yukon gold potatoes, especially mashed with
butter and nutmeg and salt and pepper. So you can freeze them all
ready mashed and ready to eat, then just microwave them? I wonder if
I could get them int the freezer before I eat them ;-) Potatoes are
relatively kind to my BG, especially prepared with butter or fried,
but portion size is definitely a struggle the calories worry me.

Have you an idea of when you might be back in your own home and done
with hotel living Lee?

..

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ricavito" > wrote in message
On Nov 15, 5:59 pm, "Storrmmee" > wrote:
> ukon gold freez nice after you have made mashed potatoes, i rarely buy
> fresh
> potatoes anymore, partly because of the carbs, partly because i love them
> and partly because NO potato should cost over 23 cents a pound, mostly,
> well
> before the fire, i bought frozen when on sale so they were affordable and
> there was no waste, unfortunately in this hotel not enough freezer space
> for
> that, Lee"

Oh yeah baby, I lurrrve yukon gold potatoes, especially mashed with
butter and nutmeg and salt and pepper. So you can freeze them all
ready mashed and ready to eat, then just microwave them? I wonder if
I could get them int the freezer before I eat them ;-) Potatoes are
relatively kind to my BG, especially prepared with butter or fried,
but portion size is definitely a struggle the calories worry me.

Have you an idea of when you might be back in your own home and done
with hotel living Lee?

---

Angela prefers the instant for mashed. It's easy to keep those around. I
just make them with water and nucoa. No milk. Have to add extra salt and
pepper to compensate.

We just got some WinCo food stores in this area. Alas, not close enough to
where we are to make it feasible. There is one in Everett and we were there
yesterday for a dance show. They had a 10 pound bag of potatoes for 88
cents and some other incredible buys! But when I Mapquested it from the
venue, it was nearly 7 miles away and that took us even further from home.
So we didn't go there. Could be they will put some more in there.

Food Emporium just closed down so it is just sitting there waiting for some
new place to come in.

..

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> ukon gold freez nice after you have made mashed potatoes, i rarely buy
> fresh potatoes anymore, partly because of the carbs, partly because i love
> them and partly because NO potato should cost over 23 cents a pound,
> mostly, well before the fire, i bought frozen when on sale so they were
> affordable and there was no waste, unfortunately in this hotel not enough
> freezer space for that, Lee

I never used to pay attention to the price of potatoes. When I was single,
I didn't buy them very often. And when I did, I would just buy enough for
me. Mostly I just had a package of mashed potatoes. I didn't eat potatoes
very often.

Then I got married and moved to Cape Cod. I was shocked at the price of
produce there but particularly shocked at the price of potatoes! In those
days there was little choice as to the type. I used to buy some in a large
paper bag called "salt potatoes". I always expected salt to be in there,
but there never was any. I looked it up on the Internet once but I can't
remember exactly what it said. I think they are meant to be used in crab or
lobster boils along with corn and salt. Maybe.

Anyway... The Wives Club was having a potluck. I foolishly assumed that
when one brings a dish to a potluck one brings enough to feed everyone.

So I used this recipe that I had for making oven baked chicken breasts. I
can't remember the exact recipe but it involved crushing up cheese crackers
and mixing them with flour and seasonings. This made the coating and butter
was drizzled over. I knew there would be kids there, so I made them into
nuggets.

I used a whole big bag of potatoes (or maybe it was even two) and made Jo
Jo's. I even bought a couple of huge bottles of ketchup to go with.

I did the prep for the chicken the night before but didn't do the potatoes
because I was afraid they would turn brown.

When I got off work that afternoon, I rushed home and began the baking. My
kitchen was full of chicken and potatoes! There was so much food I had to
buy foil roasting pans to transport them in.

Imagine my surprise when I got there and realized that the other people
brought only one dish and it was just a crockpot or a casserole full of
something. I was a little embarrassed. I was even more embarrassed when
some woman shouted, "Who's the rich person who brought the potatoes?"

During dinner, I learned that the other women rarely or never bought
potatoes on the Cape. If they did buy them, they went closer to Boston. We
went to PA for the weekend quite often so I learned to buy my produce there
and bring it back when I could.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> any potato freezes excellently, make as if you were eating the whole pot
> right now, my fantasy, then portion to what your bg can handle, that way
> you aren't tempted, i do this not only for the carbs but calories as well,
> also, i use fat free sour cream or cream cheese to flavor when worrying
> about caloiries.
>
> as to the house, no real clue yet, its moving along but very slowly, i
> wouldn't wish this nightmare on my worst enemy, Lee

When I lived in CA, I used to buy frozen mashed potatoes. I can't remember
if they contained milk or not. They looked like big chocolate chips in
shape, but the tops were perhaps not as pointy. I believe I added water to
them and microwaved them, then added butter to taste.

Recently I have seen something similar here that doesn't have any milk or
butter in it. I considered buying them but I really don't have much freezer
space.

I've got to do some more stocking up on groceries. We are due for snow soon
and I heard today that all the grocery stores are going on strike! I have
plenty of canned meat and tuna but my stock of canned veggies is running
low. We haven't been to Costco for a couple of weeks and won't be able to
go this weekend if the snow hits like they say it will. I guess I will have
to go while Angela is in dance one day. I need some fresh meat too!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i have a friend that buys bob evans frozen, then when she gets home she
chops it into quarters and puts back in the freezer, but i think they have
milk, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> any potato freezes excellently, make as if you were eating the whole pot
>> right now, my fantasy, then portion to what your bg can handle, that way
>> you aren't tempted, i do this not only for the carbs but calories as
>> well, also, i use fat free sour cream or cream cheese to flavor when
>> worrying about caloiries.
>>
>> as to the house, no real clue yet, its moving along but very slowly, i
>> wouldn't wish this nightmare on my worst enemy, Lee

> When I lived in CA, I used to buy frozen mashed potatoes. I can't
> remember if they contained milk or not. They looked like big chocolate
> chips in shape, but the tops were perhaps not as pointy. I believe I
> added water to them and microwaved them, then added butter to taste.
>
> Recently I have seen something similar here that doesn't have any milk or
> butter in it. I considered buying them but I really don't have much
> freezer space.
>
> I've got to do some more stocking up on groceries. We are due for snow
> soon and I heard today that all the grocery stores are going on strike! I
> have plenty of canned meat and tuna but my stock of canned veggies is
> running low. We haven't been to Costco for a couple of weeks and won't be
> able to go this weekend if the snow hits like they say it will. I guess I
> will have to go while Angela is in dance one day. I need some fresh meat
> too!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>i have a friend that buys bob evans frozen, then when she gets home she
>chops it into quarters and puts back in the freezer, but i think they have
>milk, Lee

They do have milk. And I think soybean oil. We had those once on a dairy
day. I can't say that I cared for them but Angela liked them.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i never ate them, but figured since you do the prepared, or rather daughter
does it was worth a look, Lee