Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Tonight's dinner!

Dang but it smells good! And I forgot to take my Carafate so I have to wait
an hour now to eat.

I found some prepared scalloped potatoes that don't contain wheat at Top
Foods. I made them in the microwave. I always liked those but never had
any luck at making them from scratch. I never really got a sauce. Just a
milky part and a clumpy cheese part. My mom never made them at home so I
don't really know how to do them. I did on occasion used those boxed
products before we knew of our allergies, but they were not so good. Angela
did like them so I made them when I found the product on sale.

With this we have bacon and green beans. Angela said the potatoes are
really good!

My BG has been all over the place since I started on the 75/25 insulin. My
worst readings (almost 500) have come about when eating the least amount of
carbs. Go figure. And breakfast? Forget about it! No matter what I eat,
my BG goes up 100 or more points. I did see a nice 103 before bed last
night. Alas, it was over 200 when I woke up this morning. So no clue if
this meal will actually work for me or not. But at this point I pretty much
just do not care. Seems the harder I try with the diet, the worse it gets.
So I will just stick to the bolus ratio they gave me and hope that it works.
Once in a while it does.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Pounded and sauteed chicken breasts, minced shallot and sliced baby bella
mushrooms cooked in the pan after removing chicken, deglaze with Calvados,
add chicken stock and heavy cream and reduce with Penzey's Sunny Paris spice
mix, put chicken back in and simmer briefly. Brown rice (1/4 cup for me).
Grilled asparagus. Salad of baby romaine, cucumber, and avocado. 2 glasses
merlot.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet > wrote:
: Pounded and sauteed chicken breasts, minced shallot and sliced baby bella
: mushrooms cooked in the pan after removing chicken, deglaze with Calvados,
: add chicken stock and heavy cream and reduce with Penzey's Sunny Paris spice
: mix, put chicken back in and simmer briefly. Brown rice (1/4 cup for me).
: Grilled asparagus. Salad of baby romaine, cucumber, and avocado. 2 glasses
: merlot.

Sounds good, all but the cream:-) I made a large quantity of lamb stew
with lots of big carrots, red peppers, shite turnips, onions, celery, big
can of chopped tomatoes , rosmary and thyme(by the way they were on TV
tonight:-). No wine, which I usually use, as with only one in the house
now, i didn't want to open a new bottle just for the stew.

I had quite a few psmall packages of the lamb, some boneless and some with
bones in teh freeze adn wantedto clear them out.

I am not at all used to this cooking for 1, so I will have to take up room
in the freezer with single portions of this lovely stew if i don't want to
have to eat the same thing all week! Syd alwasy loved anything with lamb
in it, soo he would be a big helpin finishing up my big pots of stew.
Maybe I should get rid of the big pots and only keep the smaller ones:-)
In that way I couldn't make so much at a time.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet" > wrote in message
> Pounded and sauteed chicken breasts, minced shallot and sliced baby bella
> mushrooms cooked in the pan after removing chicken, deglaze with Calvados,
> add chicken stock and heavy cream and reduce with Penzey's Sunny Paris
> spice mix, put chicken back in and simmer briefly. Brown rice (1/4 cup for
> me). Grilled asparagus. Salad of baby romaine, cucumber, and avocado. 2
> glasses merlot.

I hear that we are getting a Penzey's here. In Seattle anyway. Not too far
from Market Spice. That should be interesting!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Janet > wrote:
> : Pounded and sauteed chicken breasts, minced shallot and sliced baby
> bella
> : mushrooms cooked in the pan after removing chicken, deglaze with
> Calvados,
> : add chicken stock and heavy cream and reduce with Penzey's Sunny Paris
> spice
> : mix, put chicken back in and simmer briefly. Brown rice (1/4 cup for
> me).
> : Grilled asparagus. Salad of baby romaine, cucumber, and avocado. 2
> glasses
> : merlot.
>
> Sounds good, all but the cream:-) I made a large quantity of lamb stew
> with lots of big carrots, red peppers, shite turnips, onions, celery, big
> can of chopped tomatoes , rosmary and thyme(by the way they were on TV
> tonight:-). No wine, which I usually use, as with only one in the house
> now, i didn't want to open a new bottle just for the stew.
>
> I had quite a few psmall packages of the lamb, some boneless and some with
> bones in teh freeze adn wantedto clear them out.
>
> I am not at all used to this cooking for 1, so I will have to take up room
> in the freezer with single portions of this lovely stew if i don't want to
> have to eat the same thing all week! Syd alwasy loved anything with lamb
> in it, soo he would be a big helpin finishing up my big pots of stew.
> Maybe I should get rid of the big pots and only keep the smaller ones:-)
> In that way I couldn't make so much at a time.

I buy a four pack of small bottles of wine. I usually use a half a bottle
at a time. The rest is still good by the time I need it again. I can't
remember what brand it is.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:

> I buy a four pack of small bottles of wine. I usually use a half a
> bottle at a time. The rest is still good by the time I need it
> again. I can't remember what brand it is.

An open bottle of wine has no problem disappearing in my house! <G>

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> I buy a four pack of small bottles of wine. I usually use a half a
>> bottle at a time. The rest is still good by the time I need it
>> again. I can't remember what brand it is.

> An open bottle of wine has no problem disappearing in my house! <G>

I can't drink. I finally decided to try using it for cooking. I don't do
it very often.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 07:46:47 -0500, Janet wrote:

> Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> I buy a four pack of small bottles of wine. I usually use a half a
>> bottle at a time. The rest is still good by the time I need it again.
>> I can't remember what brand it is.

> An open bottle of wine has no problem disappearing in my house! <G>

Nor here - so I switched to bag-in-box wines. Sure a bag contains 2 or 3
liters, but it's so much easier to draw one glass and only one :-)
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 11/11/2010 11:14 AM, Bjørn Steensrud wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 07:46:47 -0500, Janet wrote:
>
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>> I buy a four pack of small bottles of wine. I usually use a half a
>>> bottle at a time. The rest is still good by the time I need it again.
>>> I can't remember what brand it is.

>> An open bottle of wine has no problem disappearing in my house!<G>

> Nor here - so I switched to bag-in-box wines. Sure a bag contains 2 or 3
> liters, but it's so much easier to draw one glass and only one :-)

I have never had wine from a box that didn't have an off taste. There
are vacuum systems to preserve open bottles of wine, but frankly,
anything I open doesn't last more than a couple of days, so why bother.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i just bought one of for the first time this week, what do you buy and what
do you like? Lee
"Bjørn Steensrud" > wrote in message
news
> On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 07:46:47 -0500, Janet wrote:
>
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>> I buy a four pack of small bottles of wine. I usually use a half a
>>> bottle at a time. The rest is still good by the time I need it again.
>>> I can't remember what brand it is.

>> An open bottle of wine has no problem disappearing in my house! <G>

> Nor here - so I switched to bag-in-box wines. Sure a bag contains 2 or 3
> liters, but it's so much easier to draw one glass and only one :-)

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Wine, was: Tonight's dinner!li

On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 02:35:22 -0600, Storrmmee wrote:

> i just bought one of for the first time this week, what do you buy and
> what do you like?

Mostly Italian reds, Piemonte and points north - I did buy one Australian
just for the punny name: Goats do Roam. Next time I'll try Goats do Roam
in Villages :-) I don't care if the French get upset.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i mostly have to stick to non reds because the reds cause a migrain sorta
thing, but some chiante's are doable, Lee