Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Food that requires no heating or refrigeration

This is a ways off but I'm trying to collect ideas now. Angela has a couple
of dance conventions coming up at hotels in the local area. They start on
Friday and end on Sunday. I do not know if we will be staying overnight or
not. I know some people do, particularly if they have to be there very early
in the morning, which we might.

I have looked at the hotel's websites. I do not see any microwaves or
refrigerators listed. I will of course try to get a refrigerator to put my
extra insulin in. I do have a Frio but have never used it and would prefer
not to. Because I use such a high dose of Lantus, I will have to take
several pens if we are staying overnight. And I will want an extra pen of
my Novolog. Personally it would not be a big deal if the Lantus were room
temp. But I would like a fridge for food and drinks if we could get one!
Failing that, I suppose I could bring a cooler with me.

Both hotels do have restaurants, but I don't know if they are suitable for
us. One has a seafood place. We don't eat seafood. That hotel also has a
place that is open for grab and go type things for breakfast and lunch. I'm
thinking bagels, sweet rolls and sandwiches. Probably not suitable given
the diabetes and our food allergies.

I also do not know how much off time we will have. My husband is planning
to come and technically he could leave at any time. So he could get food
for himself, but I'm not sure I trust him to be able to get suitable food
for us. And I don't know if we would be able to leave to get a meal. I
know I have to stay so long as Angela is in the building.

I've been told that the other people usually call out for pizza for dinner.
This is probably not an option for us unless I can find a place near there
that does an egg free gluten free crust. And really we shouldn't be eating
that much dairy because of the outgrown dairy allergies. But maybe we could
do it for one meal.

Breakfast should not be a problem. We could have dry cereal and Angela
could have some fruit that would keep at room temp. I guess if need be I
could also have something like unsweetened applesauce or canned pears.
Canned kidney beans would work as a snack. That is what I usually eat when
we are traveling. I don't want to give Angela too many beans though because
she tends to have problems with them. If you know what I mean.

I can pack some nuts. Angela isn't too keen on nuts. She is allergic to
peanuts and almonds, but I can get some raw cashews from the health food
store that are not cross contaminated from other nuts. I can also get some
raw pumpkin seed bars that I can eat in a pinch for a meal replacement.

Of course there are shelf stable things like chips and pretzels that can
help round things out, but given their carb count, these are not something I
can eat a lot of.

Angela can have some gluten free beef jerky. I don't know if that would
work for me. I can digest ground beef, but some of the tougher cuts just
don't work well for me and make me very sick to my stomach with the
gastropareis. I suppose canned tuna and canned chicken are other options.
And I don't mind eating green beans out of the can. I can get some single
serve things online from minimus.biz like shelf stable hummus.

I also know of some MRE's that are allergy friendly. They can be eaten as
is but are best tasting when heated. I haven't tried them. They look good,
but Angela didn't really care much for them. I would have to mail order
them.

Can anyone think of any more meal options if we need them? I had been given
an electric hot pot as a gift, but I got rid of it. I didn't think I would
ever use it. And still not really sure I would use it in a hotel anyway.
It could be used for canned soup or chili, but I would think cleaning it
would be a royal pain.

Mostly I want to make sure I have plenty of snacks for Angela, should she
need them because I have heard that it is really hard, intense dancing
pretty much all day, although there are periods of time when they can sit
and watch the other dancers. We already have several options for snacks
around the house that are shelf stable and portable.

But I also want to make sure I have some food we can eat as a meal if we
have to. Not looking forward to it from that aspect. I don't mind a meal
here and there of make do things but I prefer fresh food!

Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i can actually contribute here, my friends always come to our room when we
travel or attend conventions, i carry a travelling kitchen, makes for
another suitcase but i refuse to be held hostage in a hotel.
-i have an electric skillet, cleans easy will do whatever you need to heat,
even soup or chicken nuggets. if you precook pizza you can have you can
reheat it gently in the skillet as well. also pita/wraps heat well in it,
-frig's in hotels are there, often for an adittional small charge, but if it
is for a medical reason like your meds they will often waive the fee, just
make sure to ask well indvance so one is available.
-don't forget the canopener.
-when you are packing the cooler take the food you think you will need, and
if there is room left over either fill with extra blue ice, or put in some
canned items around the outside to insulate.
-you might if you choose the el. skillet route try out a few things in
advance to see how long/well they cook.
-see if there are any shelf stable meals that both of you can eat, then heat
in skillet, if you don't use them you can use at a regular lesson in the
nuker.
-also when you are calling about the frig, ask about the nuker, tell them
you have dietary restrictions and need one for health reasons, if they do
have them you will get moved up the list.

Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> [...]
>
> Can anyone think of any more meal options if we need them? I had been
> given an electric hot pot as a gift, but I got rid of it. I didn't think
> I would ever use it. And still not really sure I would use it in a hotel
> anyway. It could be used for canned soup or chili, but I would think
> cleaning it would be a royal pain.
>
> Mostly I want to make sure I have plenty of snacks for Angela, should she
> need them because I have heard that it is really hard, intense dancing
> pretty much all day, although there are periods of time when they can sit
> and watch the other dancers. We already have several options for snacks
> around the house that are shelf stable and portable.
>
> But I also want to make sure I have some food we can eat as a meal if we
> have to. Not looking forward to it from that aspect. I don't mind a meal
> here and there of make do things but I prefer fresh food!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 25/09/2010 9:04 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> This is a ways off but I'm trying to collect ideas now. Angela has a couple
> of dance conventions coming up at hotels in the local area. They start on
> Friday and end on Sunday. I do not know if we will be staying overnight or
> not. I know some people do, particularly if they have to be there very early
> in the morning, which we might.

Apart from the usual solutions have a look at your local catering
supplies , here in Au almost anything including meats now come in sealed
plastic bags good for very long times affordably , much of it tastes
better hot but soaking the bags in hot water is sufficient
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>i can actually contribute here, my friends always come to our room when we
>travel or attend conventions, i carry a travelling kitchen, makes for
>another suitcase but i refuse to be held hostage in a hotel.
> -i have an electric skillet, cleans easy will do whatever you need to
> heat, even soup or chicken nuggets. if you precook pizza you can have you
> can reheat it gently in the skillet as well. also pita/wraps heat well in
> it,
> -frig's in hotels are there, often for an adittional small charge, but if
> it is for a medical reason like your meds they will often waive the fee,
> just make sure to ask well indvance so one is available.
> -don't forget the canopener.
> -when you are packing the cooler take the food you think you will need,
> and if there is room left over either fill with extra blue ice, or put in
> some canned items around the outside to insulate.
> -you might if you choose the el. skillet route try out a few things in
> advance to see how long/well they cook.
> -see if there are any shelf stable meals that both of you can eat, then
> heat in skillet, if you don't use them you can use at a regular lesson in
> the nuker.
> -also when you are calling about the frig, ask about the nuker, tell them
> you have dietary restrictions and need one for health reasons, if they do
> have them you will get moved up the list.

I don't have an electric skillet but will see if I can get a small one. As
for shelf stable meals we could heat in a skillet, I don't think there are
any. Not really much in the way of soups either. But I will. As for the
gluten free pasta, it doesn't really reheat well. Just sort of breaks into
mush.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"atec77" > wrote in message
> On 25/09/2010 9:04 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> This is a ways off but I'm trying to collect ideas now. Angela has a
>> couple
>> of dance conventions coming up at hotels in the local area. They start
>> on
>> Friday and end on Sunday. I do not know if we will be staying overnight
>> or
>> not. I know some people do, particularly if they have to be there very
>> early
>> in the morning, which we might.
>>

> Apart from the usual solutions have a look at your local catering supplies
> , here in Au almost anything including meats now come in sealed plastic
> bags good for very long times affordably , much of it tastes better hot
> but soaking the bags in hot water is sufficient

Cooked meats? Don't know of much of that here except for stuff in sauces
that we can't really eat. I don't know what you mean by catering supplies.
To me, catering would be something you would do to get a large amount of
food.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 9/25/2010 1:45 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> > wrote in message
>> On 25/09/2010 9:04 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>> This is a ways off but I'm trying to collect ideas now. Angela has a
>>> couple
>>> of dance conventions coming up at hotels in the local area. They start
>>> on
>>> Friday and end on Sunday. I do not know if we will be staying overnight
>>> or
>>> not. I know some people do, particularly if they have to be there very
>>> early
>>> in the morning, which we might.
>>>

>> Apart from the usual solutions have a look at your local catering supplies
>> , here in Au almost anything including meats now come in sealed plastic
>> bags good for very long times affordably , much of it tastes better hot
>> but soaking the bags in hot water is sufficient

> Cooked meats? Don't know of much of that here except for stuff in sauces
> that we can't really eat. I don't know what you mean by catering supplies.
> To me, catering would be something you would do to get a large amount of
> food.

we have had Schneider's "Boil in Bag" meats for .......... 35 years or
so now

really easy, boil the water, drop the bag in and wait 5 minutes

how can you lose?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 9/25/2010 1:45 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> > wrote in message
>> On 25/09/2010 9:04 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>> This is a ways off but I'm trying to collect ideas now. Angela has a
>>> couple
>>> of dance conventions coming up at hotels in the local area. They start
>>> on
>>> Friday and end on Sunday. I do not know if we will be staying overnight
>>> or
>>> not. I know some people do, particularly if they have to be there very
>>> early
>>> in the morning, which we might.
>>>

>> Apart from the usual solutions have a look at your local catering supplies
>> , here in Au almost anything including meats now come in sealed plastic
>> bags good for very long times affordably , much of it tastes better hot
>> but soaking the bags in hot water is sufficient

> Cooked meats? Don't know of much of that here except for stuff in sauces
> that we can't really eat. I don't know what you mean by catering supplies.
> To me, catering would be something you would do to get a large amount of
> food.

Julie
catering is to your choice

i can go in, order a weeks meals and they will have it ready (and
frozen) by the next day.......... for times when time is of the essence

kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"atec77" > wrote in message
> On 26/09/2010 5:45 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>>>>
>>> Apart from the usual solutions have a look at your local catering
>>> supplies
>>> , here in Au almost anything including meats now come in sealed plastic
>>> bags good for very long times affordably , much of it tastes better hot
>>> but soaking the bags in hot water is sufficient

>> Cooked meats? Don't know of much of that here except for stuff in sauces
>> that we can't really eat. I don't know what you mean by catering
>> supplies.
>> To me, catering would be something you would do to get a large amount of
>> food.
>>

> My cousin uses it in his catering business , all types of meat in a sealed
> pack (no sauce) that anyone can eat in a long storage pack , our military
> uses it and some camping outlets sell it .Maybe you guys are behind :P

Honestly never heard of it. But then I can't eat most meats. I don't
digest them well.

I was in a camping store this summer and only saw the freeze dried type
meals there.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alan S" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 04:04:22 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>I have looked at the hotel's websites. I do not see any microwaves or
>>refrigerators listed.

> PS Many of the American hotels I stayed at would put a small fridge in
> the room for an additional fee. It is also worth calling the hotels
> using the web-site contact numbers and asking whether they have some
> rooms with kitchenette facilities and trying to have one of those
> rooms allocated to you.

I don't mind paying a fee. I just find it odd that I don't see that listed
as an amenity. But then again, when we travel we tend not to stay at the
expensive hotels and instead stay at more mid-priced motels.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 9/25/2010 11:52 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Alan > wrote in message
>> On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 04:04:22 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I have looked at the hotel's websites. I do not see any microwaves or
>>> refrigerators listed.

>> PS Many of the American hotels I stayed at would put a small fridge in
>> the room for an additional fee. It is also worth calling the hotels
>> using the web-site contact numbers and asking whether they have some
>> rooms with kitchenette facilities and trying to have one of those
>> rooms allocated to you.

> I don't mind paying a fee. I just find it odd that I don't see that listed
> as an amenity. But then again, when we travel we tend not to stay at the
> expensive hotels and instead stay at more mid-priced motels.

it doesn't matter what 'price range' you are motel/hotelling it at

if you ask for a kitchenette, you will get exactly that

i have asked for 'sleeping accomodation only' and, due to lack of rooms,
we have got a kitchenette for the same price as what we wanted/needed at
the time

i have always asked for, and received, for NO additional charge, a
mini-fridge in my hotel suite

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 9/25/2010 1:45 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>>>>
>>> Apart from the usual solutions have a look at your local catering
>>> supplies
>>> , here in Au almost anything including meats now come in sealed plastic
>>> bags good for very long times affordably , much of it tastes better hot
>>> but soaking the bags in hot water is sufficient

>> Cooked meats? Don't know of much of that here except for stuff in sauces
>> that we can't really eat. I don't know what you mean by catering
>> supplies.
>> To me, catering would be something you would do to get a large amount of
>> food.
>>

> we have had Schneider's "Boil in Bag" meats for .......... 35 years or so
> now
>
> really easy, boil the water, drop the bag in and wait 5 minutes
>
> how can you lose?

That wouldn't be something I could use though. I need something that can be
eaten with no heating or refrigeration.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 9/25/2010 1:45 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>>>>
>>> Apart from the usual solutions have a look at your local catering
>>> supplies
>>> , here in Au almost anything including meats now come in sealed plastic
>>> bags good for very long times affordably , much of it tastes better hot
>>> but soaking the bags in hot water is sufficient

>> Cooked meats? Don't know of much of that here except for stuff in sauces
>> that we can't really eat. I don't know what you mean by catering
>> supplies.
>> To me, catering would be something you would do to get a large amount of
>> food.
>>

> Julie
> catering is to your choice
>
> i can go in, order a weeks meals and they will have it ready (and frozen)
> by the next day.......... for times when time is of the essence

I guess the term catering means something other than what it means here.
Here it is done for things like weddings and other big parties. They
deliver and often serve the food for an event. There are few places here
that will deliver a family dinner, outside of pizza places.

Frozen food would be of no use to me. I am looking for something that
requires no heating or refrigeration.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 9/25/2010 11:52 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> "Alan > wrote in message
>>> On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 04:04:22 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> PS Many of the American hotels I stayed at would put a small fridge in
>>> the room for an additional fee. It is also worth calling the hotels
>>> using the web-site contact numbers and asking whether they have some
>>> rooms with kitchenette facilities and trying to have one of those
>>> rooms allocated to you.

>> I don't mind paying a fee. I just find it odd that I don't see that
>> listed
>> as an amenity. But then again, when we travel we tend not to stay at the
>> expensive hotels and instead stay at more mid-priced motels.
>>

> it doesn't matter what 'price range' you are motel/hotelling it at
>
> if you ask for a kitchenette, you will get exactly that

Most hotels do not have kitchenettes. Not in this country anyway. The ones
that do are usually the extended stay places. We do not have a choice of
where we will be staying. We will have to stay where the conventions are.

> i have asked for 'sleeping accomodation only' and, due to lack of rooms,
> we have got a kitchenette for the same price as what we wanted/needed at
> the time
>
> i have always asked for, and received, for NO additional charge, a
> mini-fridge in my hotel suite

I have not. In some cases there was an additional charge. There were a few
that did not have them available at all. When we first moved to CA, we
stayed at a place only because they allowed pets and had a restaurant. But
they had no fridges whatever. It was a hotel. I had to make do with the
ice bucket. We had packed so much stuff with us, including Angela's
bassinette and stuff for the cat, there was no room for a cooler except for
the soft sides ones I had. They're fine for blue ice but not for ice from
the machine.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:
>That wouldn't be something I could use though. I need something that can be
>eaten with no heating or refrigeration.

You can get boiling water anywhere in the civilized world.

Orlando
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alan S" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 00:25:00 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>Most hotels do not have kitchenettes. Not in this country anyway. The
>>ones
>>that do are usually the extended stay places. We do not have a choice of
>>where we will be staying. We will have to stay where the conventions are.

> One that comes to mind which always had kitchenettes over there is
> Amerisuites. Officially they are extended stay but I stayed with them
> a couple of times; once for one night and once for two nights.
>
> It depends on how full they are at the time.

Yes they do. So does Extended Stay America. Most of those places don't
take pets though. I don't know if the places where the conventions are take
pets. If they don't, that could present another problem. But then again, I
don't know if we will be staying there or not. I will have to wait and see
what the actual times are for each day and talk to some other people.

The place where we had Angela's slumber party last year was great in that it
had a good sized fridge as hotel fridges go and also a microwave. Oddly
what it didn't have was a table you could eat at!

It did have a free breakfast with pretty much anything you could possibly
want. I had some potatoes and bacon. It also had nice snacks and free
drinks (including cocktails) before dinner. Plenty of low carb raw veggies
there. And we were able to get suitable meals in the restaurant for dinner,
although we did have to ask. What we wanted was actually on the bar menu.
The stuff on the restaurant menu was much fancier and more expensive.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

and this can be done in the electric skillet, Lee
"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 9/25/2010 1:45 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>>>>
>>> Apart from the usual solutions have a look at your local catering
>>> supplies
>>> , here in Au almost anything including meats now come in sealed plastic
>>> bags good for very long times affordably , much of it tastes better hot
>>> but soaking the bags in hot water is sufficient

>> Cooked meats? Don't know of much of that here except for stuff in sauces
>> that we can't really eat. I don't know what you mean by catering
>> supplies.
>> To me, catering would be something you would do to get a large amount of
>> food.
>>

> we have had Schneider's "Boil in Bag" meats for .......... 35 years or so
> now
>
> really easy, boil the water, drop the bag in and wait 5 minutes
>
> how can you lose?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> be careful with that mini bar, we recently stayed in a hotel that charged
> for the item if the slot was empty for sixty seconds, Lee

How would they know?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> and this can be done in the electric skillet, Lee

But AFAIK there are no such foods here.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alan S" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 14:04:35 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>>> be careful with that mini bar, we recently stayed in a hotel that
>>> charged
>>> for the item if the slot was empty for sixty seconds, Lee

>>How would they know?
>>

> http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=minibar+sensors

Oh.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

it was electronic/computer hooked up, had infrared/and a set of gismos i
can't think of the name of atm, was very hi tec and well put together
according to DH, he is into that sort of mechanical thing, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> be careful with that mini bar, we recently stayed in a hotel that charged
>> for the item if the slot was empty for sixty seconds, Lee

> How would they know?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

you might check to see if there is a "resturant supply" house of some sort
near you, not sure how valid it would be for you considering your allergies,
lots of chemicals in some of it, some is pretty clean but some not, and have
you considred contacting a place like seattle sutton to see if they could
supply suitable foods to the location you will be at, i am only marginally
familar with them but it might be an option for you, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> and this can be done in the electric skillet, Lee

> But AFAIK there are no such foods here.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> it was electronic/computer hooked up, had infrared/and a set of gismos i
> can't think of the name of atm, was very hi tec and well put together
> according to DH, he is into that sort of mechanical thing, Lee

Thanks! I haven't actually seen a mini bar in many years. I did buy a
couple of things from one in a hotel in Canada. And maybe I saw one since.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> you might check to see if there is a "resturant supply" house of some sort
> near you, not sure how valid it would be for you considering your
> allergies, lots of chemicals in some of it, some is pretty clean but some
> not, and have you considred contacting a place like seattle sutton to see
> if they could supply suitable foods to the location you will be at, i am
> only marginally familar with them but it might be an option for you, Lee

I don't know of any places that would supply food for just three people.
AFAIK, restaurant supply places only sell large quantities of food. That
won't help us at all.

I didn't know what Seattle Sutton was. I looked it up and it's a weight
loss plan with twice weekly deliveries of fresh food. Fresh food is not
what I want because it would I assume have to be refrigerated or frozen.
Not only that but I doubt it would work with our food allergies. But thanks
anyway.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> dh says they are very ingenious, the hotel where we encountered this, had
> a bottle of swankee water with a cardboard holder with two glas wine
> glasses attached, only after you remove the glasses do you see the water
> is almost five dollars us. DH being a cautious traveller had carefully
> removed the glasses for my evening wine, examined the water/holder, he put
> it in a drawer until we left and put it all back together before we
> checked out, Lee

I always pack plenty of beverages, but I don't mind buying the occasional
one from a machine. So long as it isn't Pepsi. Yuck! I can quickly chill
a can or bottle in the ice bucket.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

resturant supply places are like grocery stores for the industry, often they
sell things in a larger package but the portions are individualised for ease
of preparation at the selling point. The reason i mentioned seattle sutton
is because they say in some propaganda i read somewhere they do diabetic,
lower carb, and gluton free, if you can chose meals that could be just
cooled the coller/ice would work, and some are salads so no heating, i just
figured it would be worth asking for a one time thing, hey who knows if they
can do it, might be some money in a commericial for you, also if they do
gluton free might be an aswer for the dance nights also, then just bring the
containers for you and her and nuke, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> you might check to see if there is a "resturant supply" house of some
>> sort near you, not sure how valid it would be for you considering your
>> allergies, lots of chemicals in some of it, some is pretty clean but some
>> not, and have you considred contacting a place like seattle sutton to see
>> if they could supply suitable foods to the location you will be at, i am
>> only marginally familar with them but it might be an option for you, Lee

> I don't know of any places that would supply food for just three people.
> AFAIK, restaurant supply places only sell large quantities of food. That
> won't help us at all.
>
> I didn't know what Seattle Sutton was. I looked it up and it's a weight
> loss plan with twice weekly deliveries of fresh food. Fresh food is not
> what I want because it would I assume have to be refrigerated or frozen.
> Not only that but I doubt it would work with our food allergies. But
> thanks anyway.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> resturant supply places are like grocery stores for the industry, often
> they sell things in a larger package but the portions are individualised
> for ease of preparation at the selling point. The reason i mentioned
> seattle sutton is because they say in some propaganda i read somewhere
> they do diabetic, lower carb, and gluton free, if you can chose meals that
> could be just cooled the coller/ice would work, and some are salads so no
> heating, i just figured it would be worth asking for a one time thing, hey
> who knows if they can do it, might be some money in a commericial for you,
> also if they do gluton free might be an aswer for the dance nights also,
> then just bring the containers for you and her and nuke, Lee
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>>> you might check to see if there is a "resturant supply" house of some
>>> sort near you, not sure how valid it would be for you considering your
>>> allergies, lots of chemicals in some of it, some is pretty clean but
>>> some not, and have you considred contacting a place like seattle sutton
>>> to see if they could supply suitable foods to the location you will be
>>> at, i am only marginally familar with them but it might be an option for
>>> you, Lee

>> I don't know of any places that would supply food for just three people.
>> AFAIK, restaurant supply places only sell large quantities of food. That
>> won't help us at all.
>>
>> I didn't know what Seattle Sutton was. I looked it up and it's a weight
>> loss plan with twice weekly deliveries of fresh food. Fresh food is not
>> what I want because it would I assume have to be refrigerated or frozen.
>> Not only that but I doubt it would work with our food allergies. But
>> thanks anyway.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> resturant supply places are like grocery stores for the industry, often
> they sell things in a larger package but the portions are individualised
> for ease of preparation at the selling point. The reason i mentioned
> seattle sutton is because they say in some propaganda i read somewhere
> they do diabetic, lower carb, and gluton free, if you can chose meals that
> could be just cooled the coller/ice would work, and some are salads so no
> heating, i just figured it would be worth asking for a one time thing, hey
> who knows if they can do it, might be some money in a commericial for you,
> also if they do gluton free might be an aswer for the dance nights also,
> then just bring the containers for you and her and nuke, Lee

Although restaurant supply places might sell single servings of things, you
have to buy a huge case. I know because I have checked online when I wanted
some things. You can buy individual things at minimus.biz. They do have
some gluten free things, but not a lot.

The Seattle Sutton will not sell to people with food allergies and you have
to buy quite a bit at a time. I would not buy salads from them. Why would
I need to do that? I can get salad at the grocery store. But then salad is
not something I digest well so I certainly wouldn't want to take the chance
of eating very much of it away from home.

As for dance nights, I can bring food from home. Not a problem so much now
because I can prepare things there. I will start leaving her soon though
and she will be on her own. So most likely then I will just send in a
sandwich or a one dish thing she can reheat.

As for the conventions... I don't know how much time there will be to eat.
I might be able to cook a dinner, provided I have something to cook it in.
But probably will not have time to do that for lunch. We do not eat cooked
breakfasts anyway so that's not a problem.