Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Food on the run.

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> small soup,
>
> one large chicken breast, cook as you like then dice or shredd,
> the amount of gluton free noodles you want in soup,
> chicken broth enough to cover/cook noodles.
> a cup or two of diced vegetables of your choice, prepared in advance, when
> you get to the studio, put the noodles in the broth and cook, then add
> vegetables and chicken, stir divide and eat with gluton free crackers, Lee

Thanks! I don't really know of any gluten free crackers that are portable
though. I can get some really good ones that taste like Ritz, but...
Finding an intact one is a big problem. Gluten free things just seem to
crumble. There are some that contain soy or nuts or something else that we
can't eat that I've been told are very good. But our options for crackers
are very limited.

Tonight I forgot to take some food with me to the studio. Angela was taking
an extra class to make up for the three that she missed on Wed. due to being
sick. I had to stop at the pharmacy to get a prescription for her and a
couple for me. So I thought I would buy something there. In my mind, I had
pictured a package of peanuts. But when we got there, I saw packages of
peanut butter crackers. I know I should have read the ingredients. But I
was in a hurry and I didn't. I should also add that crackers are not
something I eat a lot of. In fact I pretty much never eat them. As it
turned out, these had whey and cheese in them. I don't know where. They
didn't taste like cheese. Or look like cheese. In fact they didn't taste
very good at all.

I also didn't look at the carb count before I bought them. The crackers
were tiny. But the whole package had 31g of carbs. I didn't dare eat them
all. I ate 4 of them. I didn't enjoy them at all. And it wasn't enough
food for me. As I sat there with stomach growling, I pictured myself
walking over to the grocery store to get something to eat. But I don't know
what I would have gotten. Hard to find something that comes in a small
package...like one serving that isn't high in carbs. I guess I could have
gotten a small can of green beans with a pop top lid. They do have spoons
at the dance studio. Heck sometimes they even have knives and forks!
Plastic ones of course.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i guess you don't need the crackers, and i am hoping the small chicken soup
would work for you, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> small soup,
>>
>> one large chicken breast, cook as you like then dice or shredd,
>> the amount of gluton free noodles you want in soup,
>> chicken broth enough to cover/cook noodles.
>> a cup or two of diced vegetables of your choice, prepared in advance,
>> when you get to the studio, put the noodles in the broth and cook, then
>> add vegetables and chicken, stir divide and eat with gluton free
>> crackers, Lee

> Thanks! I don't really know of any gluten free crackers that are portable
> though. I can get some really good ones that taste like Ritz, but...
> Finding an intact one is a big problem. Gluten free things just seem to
> crumble. There are some that contain soy or nuts or something else that
> we can't eat that I've been told are very good. But our options for
> crackers are very limited.
>
> Tonight I forgot to take some food with me to the studio. Angela was
> taking an extra class to make up for the three that she missed on Wed. due
> to being sick. I had to stop at the pharmacy to get a prescription for
> her and a couple for me. So I thought I would buy something there. In my
> mind, I had pictured a package of peanuts. But when we got there, I saw
> packages of peanut butter crackers. I know I should have read the
> ingredients. But I was in a hurry and I didn't. I should also add that
> crackers are not something I eat a lot of. In fact I pretty much never
> eat them. As it turned out, these had whey and cheese in them. I don't
> know where. They didn't taste like cheese. Or look like cheese. In fact
> they didn't taste very good at all.
>
> I also didn't look at the carb count before I bought them. The crackers
> were tiny. But the whole package had 31g of carbs. I didn't dare eat
> them all. I ate 4 of them. I didn't enjoy them at all. And it wasn't
> enough food for me. As I sat there with stomach growling, I pictured
> myself walking over to the grocery store to get something to eat. But I
> don't know what I would have gotten. Hard to find something that comes in
> a small package...like one serving that isn't high in carbs. I guess I
> could have gotten a small can of green beans with a pop top lid. They do
> have spoons at the dance studio. Heck sometimes they even have knives and
> forks! Plastic ones of course.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>i guess you don't need the crackers, and i am hoping the small chicken soup
>would work for you, Lee

Angela is the one who likes the chicken soup. Not me. But the one time we
did bring soup, we found it very difficult to eat. There is no table and
often we have only a small bench to sit on.

This week we will have the tamales that I bought for last week and I will
attempt to make tacos. I just hope the shells don't get broken.

I think next week or the week after, I will just drop her off. Perhaps she
will have to start eating more sandwiches and salads.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alan S" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 12:51:58 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>>>i guess you don't need the crackers, and i am hoping the small chicken
>>>soup
>>>would work for you, Lee

>>Angela is the one who likes the chicken soup. Not me. But the one time
>>we
>>did bring soup, we found it very difficult to eat. There is no table and
>>often we have only a small bench to sit on.
>>
>>This week we will have the tamales that I bought for last week and I will
>>attempt to make tacos. I just hope the shells don't get broken.
>>
>>I think next week or the week after, I will just drop her off. Perhaps
>>she
>>will have to start eating more sandwiches and salads.

> In my other response I mentioned a cooler. Part of my "road trip" kit
> is a picnic set in a plastic bag: two plastic plates, two plastic
> bowls, two plastic cups and cutlery for two (plastic if I'm flying,
> metal if not). It takes up very little space in the suitcase and makes
> life much easier while travelling. I wrap them in a tea-towel which
> also gets used for cleaning them.

No need for a cooler at the dance studio since they have a fridge and
freezer. I do however usually pack the food in the cooler if we are both
eating there. I will then leave it in the van until time to eat. Mainly
because there are so many people in there all at once. And the fridge fills
up fast.

When I am there, I can make us things to eat that do require prep work.
Like the taco salads or next week the tacos and rice. But Angela hasn't the
time or patience to do all sorts of steps like heating things separately or
opening a bunch of zip top bags. If I am just leaving her there, I leave
her with a container of something that can be eaten as is or I will use a
Post-It with microwave instructions.

She does know how to nuke a box of fish sticks, chicken nuggets or a kid's
meal. The kid's meal does require removing the three nuggets and heating
for a minute or so, then putting them back in and heating for longer. But
that's no big deal. She can just slip them inside the box until she needs
them.

My main problem now is the complaints we get from the other kids.
Apparently fish sticks and tuna casserole (one of Angela's favorites) are
too stinky. And if I heat up canned chicken and rice, they say it smells
like tuna. I can't win.

This week I made her a plate of chicken nuggets and they were all over her,
wanting some. Apparently the new and improved recipe really does taste a
lot better. None of them even noticed that they were gluten free. I did
have to feed her again once we got home because the other kids ate most of
her plate.

They also followed us around wanting our taco salads.

Sometimes I do buy a big package of something like apple slices for them all
to share. But I feel a little funny giving food to other people's kids
without asking them first.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I would feel a whole lot funny and honestly in legal jepordy and that is how
i would deal with it, NO susi, until your mom says its ok i shouldn't share,
"
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Alan S" > wrote in message
>> On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 12:51:58 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

>>>Angela is the one who likes the chicken soup. Not me. But the one time
>>>we
>>>did bring soup, we found it very difficult to eat. There is no table and
>>>often we have only a small bench to sit on.
>>>
>>>This week we will have the tamales that I bought for last week and I will
>>>attempt to make tacos. I just hope the shells don't get broken.
>>>
>>>I think next week or the week after, I will just drop her off. Perhaps
>>>she
>>>will have to start eating more sandwiches and salads.

>> In my other response I mentioned a cooler. Part of my "road trip" kit
>> is a picnic set in a plastic bag: two plastic plates, two plastic
>> bowls, two plastic cups and cutlery for two (plastic if I'm flying,
>> metal if not). It takes up very little space in the suitcase and makes
>> life much easier while travelling. I wrap them in a tea-towel which
>> also gets used for cleaning them.

> No need for a cooler at the dance studio since they have a fridge and
> freezer. I do however usually pack the food in the cooler if we are both
> eating there. I will then leave it in the van until time to eat. Mainly
> because there are so many people in there all at once. And the fridge
> fills up fast.
>
> When I am there, I can make us things to eat that do require prep work.
> Like the taco salads or next week the tacos and rice. But Angela hasn't
> the time or patience to do all sorts of steps like heating things
> separately or opening a bunch of zip top bags. If I am just leaving her
> there, I leave her with a container of something that can be eaten as is
> or I will use a Post-It with microwave instructions.
>
> She does know how to nuke a box of fish sticks, chicken nuggets or a kid's
> meal. The kid's meal does require removing the three nuggets and heating
> for a minute or so, then putting them back in and heating for longer. But
> that's no big deal. She can just slip them inside the box until she needs
> them.
>
> My main problem now is the complaints we get from the other kids.
> Apparently fish sticks and tuna casserole (one of Angela's favorites) are
> too stinky. And if I heat up canned chicken and rice, they say it smells
> like tuna. I can't win.
>
> This week I made her a plate of chicken nuggets and they were all over
> her, wanting some. Apparently the new and improved recipe really does
> taste a lot better. None of them even noticed that they were gluten free.
> I did have to feed her again once we got home because the other kids ate
> most of her plate.
>
> They also followed us around wanting our taco salads.
>
> Sometimes I do buy a big package of something like apple slices for them
> all to share. But I feel a little funny giving food to other people's
> kids without asking them first.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>I would feel a whole lot funny and honestly in legal jepordy and that is
>how i would deal with it, NO susi, until your mom says its ok i shouldn't
>share,

Well these are older kids. For little kids, I wouldn't do it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i don't care their age, unless they are 18 you are in jepardy, even the
sample givers at sam's and costco aren't supposed to dispense anything until
you are 18, Lee, in food service and paraniod
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>>I would feel a whole lot funny and honestly in legal jepordy and that is
>>how i would deal with it, NO susi, until your mom says its ok i shouldn't
>>share,

> Well these are older kids. For little kids, I wouldn't do it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>i don't care their age, unless they are 18 you are in jepardy, even the
>sample givers at sam's and costco aren't supposed to dispense anything
>until you are 18, Lee, in food service and paraniod

Angela never has any problems getting samples from Costco. She is tall
enough to qualify for an adult.

I don't know about some of the little kids, but I know which of the older
ones have food allergies. And there are several.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i guess because i pay a hefty liability preium for my business which is food
service, i am not only overly cautious, i know from many conference
presentations just how much one can lose by allowing an underaged child to
have anything food or otherwise if the parent hasn't given explicit
permission, and there are plenty of lawsits that are brought even when oral
permision has been given, i won't mention it again, but i will pray this
doesn't happen to you, it has cost some people their businesses and life
savings, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>>i don't care their age, unless they are 18 you are in jepardy, even the
>>sample givers at sam's and costco aren't supposed to dispense anything
>>until you are 18, Lee, in food service and paraniod

> Angela never has any problems getting samples from Costco. She is tall
> enough to qualify for an adult.
>
> I don't know about some of the little kids, but I know which of the older
> ones have food allergies. And there are several.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>i guess because i pay a hefty liability preium for my business which is
>food service, i am not only overly cautious, i know from many conference
>presentations just how much one can lose by allowing an underaged child to
>have anything food or otherwise if the parent hasn't given explicit
>permission, and there are plenty of lawsits that are brought even when oral
>permision has been given, i won't mention it again, but i will pray this
>doesn't happen to you, it has cost some people their businesses and life
>savings, Lee

I don't own a business. People bring food into the dance studio every day,
just as they do in school. I don't know of anyone who has ever been sued
for it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

you missed my point, i promise this is the last i will say on it, since you
don't have a business, if you are sued, you can lose your life savyings,
future income and assets like home/car and so on, this is just very scarey
for me, and there have plenty of lawsuits in schools but most of those are
about what is served that a child is allergic to, where you are in jepordy
is if you share the food that you bring for your child with another child,
Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>>i guess because i pay a hefty liability preium for my business which is
>>food service, i am not only overly cautious, i know from many conference
>>presentations just how much one can lose by allowing an underaged child to
>>have anything food or otherwise if the parent hasn't given explicit
>>permission, and there are plenty of lawsits that are brought even when
>>oral permision has been given, i won't mention it again, but i will pray
>>this doesn't happen to you, it has cost some people their businesses and
>>life savings, Lee

> I don't own a business. People bring food into the dance studio every
> day, just as they do in school. I don't know of anyone who has ever been
> sued for it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> you missed my point, i promise this is the last i will say on it, since
> you don't have a business, if you are sued, you can lose your life
> savyings, future income and assets like home/car and so on, this is just
> very scarey for me, and there have plenty of lawsuits in schools but most
> of those are about what is served that a child is allergic to, where you
> are in jepordy is if you share the food that you bring for your child with
> another child,

Honestly I have never heard of a lawsuit to a school where an allergic
child was served the allergen, unless perhaps the child died. Then again,
pretty much everyone I know of who has an allergic child, does not allow the
child to eat any food other than what the parent sent in. And frankly to
allow an allergic child to eat a school lunch is just plain crazy in my
book!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

the lawsuits were some on what room mother served at parties, and even what
kids shared among themselves, common sense says that above about seven or
eight your kid should know but that isn't the reality of it, but do as you
wish, Lee