Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Spaghetti Squash

This from Kraft Kitchens September:

What You Need

1 large Spaghetti squash (3 lb.)
2 Tbsp. Grated Parmesan Cheese
1/2 cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
2 Plum tomatoes, finely chopped
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

Make It

PIERCE squash several times with fork or sharp knife to allow steam to
escape. Microwave on HIGH 10 min. or just until squash is softened, turning
after 5 min. Let stand 5 min.

CUT squash in half; remove and discard seeds. Use fork to scrape insides of
squash to form strands; place in large bowl. Add remaining ingredients; toss
lightly with fork. Spoon into 1 squash shell; discard remaining shell.

MICROWAVE 2 min. or until heated through.

Kraft Kitchens TipsMake Ahead

Microwave squash and pull into strands as directed; place in microwaveable
bowl. Refrigerate up to 2 days. When ready to serve, microwave on HIGH 3 to
5 min. or until heated through.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> This from Kraft Kitchens September:
>
> What You Need
>
> 1 large Spaghetti squash (3 lb.)
> 2 Tbsp. Grated Parmesan Cheese
> 1/2 cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
> 2 Plum tomatoes, finely chopped
> 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
>
> Make It
>
> PIERCE squash several times with fork or sharp knife to allow steam to
> escape. Microwave on HIGH 10 min. or just until squash is softened,
> turning after 5 min. Let stand 5 min.
>
> CUT squash in half; remove and discard seeds. Use fork to scrape insides
> of squash to form strands; place in large bowl. Add remaining ingredients;
> toss lightly with fork. Spoon into 1 squash shell; discard remaining
> shell.
>
> MICROWAVE 2 min. or until heated through.
>
> Kraft Kitchens TipsMake Ahead
>
> Microwave squash and pull into strands as directed; place in microwaveable
> bowl. Refrigerate up to 2 days. When ready to serve, microwave on HIGH 3
> to 5 min. or until heated through.

I bought a spaghetti squash once. It was so large, no way would it fit in
my microwave! And I don't have a tiny microwave.

I remember boiling it in my largest pot which at the time I think was the
corn pot that I used to use for canning, until I got my canner. Then the
danged thing was so hot and unwieldy, I had trouble dealing with it. As I
recall it was very hard to cut open.

Eventually I managed to get some strands out. Enough for us to eat. But
then we didn't like it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 9/14/2010 5:32 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> > wrote in message
>> This from Kraft Kitchens September:
>>
>> What You Need
>>
>> 1 large Spaghetti squash (3 lb.)
>> 2 Tbsp. Grated Parmesan Cheese
>> 1/2 cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
>> 2 Plum tomatoes, finely chopped
>> 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
>>
>> Make It
>>
>> PIERCE squash several times with fork or sharp knife to allow steam to
>> escape. Microwave on HIGH 10 min. or just until squash is softened,
>> turning after 5 min. Let stand 5 min.
>>
>> CUT squash in half; remove and discard seeds. Use fork to scrape insides
>> of squash to form strands; place in large bowl. Add remaining ingredients;
>> toss lightly with fork. Spoon into 1 squash shell; discard remaining
>> shell.
>>
>> MICROWAVE 2 min. or until heated through.
>>
>> Kraft Kitchens TipsMake Ahead
>>
>> Microwave squash and pull into strands as directed; place in microwaveable
>> bowl. Refrigerate up to 2 days. When ready to serve, microwave on HIGH 3
>> to 5 min. or until heated through.

> I bought a spaghetti squash once. It was so large, no way would it fit in
> my microwave! And I don't have a tiny microwave.
>
> I remember boiling it in my largest pot which at the time I think was the
> corn pot that I used to use for canning, until I got my canner. Then the
> danged thing was so hot and unwieldy, I had trouble dealing with it. As I
> recall it was very hard to cut open.
>
> Eventually I managed to get some strands out. Enough for us to eat. But
> then we didn't like it.

If you can't fit a spaghetti squash in the microwave, ut in half
lengthwise, scoop ethe seeds and put it in a baking pan with enough
water to cover the bottom of the pan by 1". Bake it in the oven at 350°
for about an hour, or until a fork stick in the outside goes into the
shell of the squash easily. Remove from the oven, let it cool a bit
then use a fork to shred the strands in to "spaghetti"
--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> On 9/14/2010 5:32 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>>> This from Kraft Kitchens September:
>>>
>>> What You Need
>>>
>>> 1 large Spaghetti squash (3 lb.)
>>> 2 Tbsp. Grated Parmesan Cheese
>>> 1/2 cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
>>> 2 Plum tomatoes, finely chopped
>>> 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
>>>
>>> Make It
>>>
>>> PIERCE squash several times with fork or sharp knife to allow steam to
>>> escape. Microwave on HIGH 10 min. or just until squash is softened,
>>> turning after 5 min. Let stand 5 min.
>>>
>>> CUT squash in half; remove and discard seeds. Use fork to scrape insides
>>> of squash to form strands; place in large bowl. Add remaining
>>> ingredients;
>>> toss lightly with fork. Spoon into 1 squash shell; discard remaining
>>> shell.
>>>
>>> MICROWAVE 2 min. or until heated through.
>>>
>>> Kraft Kitchens TipsMake Ahead
>>>
>>> Microwave squash and pull into strands as directed; place in
>>> microwaveable
>>> bowl. Refrigerate up to 2 days. When ready to serve, microwave on HIGH 3
>>> to 5 min. or until heated through.

>> I bought a spaghetti squash once. It was so large, no way would it fit
>> in
>> my microwave! And I don't have a tiny microwave.
>>
>> I remember boiling it in my largest pot which at the time I think was the
>> corn pot that I used to use for canning, until I got my canner. Then the
>> danged thing was so hot and unwieldy, I had trouble dealing with it. As
>> recall it was very hard to cut open.
>>
>> Eventually I managed to get some strands out. Enough for us to eat. But
>> then we didn't like it.
>>

> If you can't fit a spaghetti squash in the microwave, ut in half
> lengthwise, scoop ethe seeds and put it in a baking pan with enough water
> to cover the bottom of the pan by 1". Bake it in the oven at 350° for
> about an hour, or until a fork stick in the outside goes into the shell of
> the squash easily. Remove from the oven, let it cool a bit
> then use a fork to shred the strands in to "spaghetti"

Since we didn't like it, I won't be doing that.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 15/09/2010 7:21 AM, Cheri wrote:
> This from Kraft Kitchens September:
>
> What You Need
>
> 1 large Spaghetti squash (3 lb.)

Just wondering anyone in Oz seen these anywhere? I've been looking but
haven't seen them anywhere.

(- -)
=m=(_)=m=
RodS T2
Australia

> 2 Tbsp. Grated Parmesan Cheese
> 1/2 cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
> 2 Plum tomatoes, finely chopped
> 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
>
> Make It
>
> PIERCE squash several times with fork or sharp knife to allow steam to
> escape. Microwave on HIGH 10 min. or just until squash is softened,
> turning after 5 min. Let stand 5 min.
>
> CUT squash in half; remove and discard seeds. Use fork to scrape insides
> of squash to form strands; place in large bowl. Add remaining
> ingredients; toss lightly with fork. Spoon into 1 squash shell; discard
> remaining shell.
>
> MICROWAVE 2 min. or until heated through.
>
> Kraft Kitchens TipsMake Ahead
>
> Microwave squash and pull into strands as directed; place in
> microwaveable bowl. Refrigerate up to 2 days. When ready to serve,
> microwave on HIGH 3 to 5 min. or until heated through.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 14:21:51 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>This from Kraft Kitchens September:
>
>What You Need
>
>1 large Spaghetti squash (3 lb.)
>2 Tbsp. Grated Parmesan Cheese
>1/2 cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
>2 Plum tomatoes, finely chopped
>1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
>
>Make It

Yes, Ma'am I have 4 fat ones waiting to be harvested at the
moment, as soon as the first frost threatens or the foliage gives up,
whichever happens first, I'll bring them in and use this on the first
one

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 150ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.2% BMI 26
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> This from Kraft Kitchens September:
>
> What You Need
>
> 1 large Spaghetti squash (3 lb.)
> 2 Tbsp. Grated Parmesan Cheese
> 1/2 cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
> 2 Plum tomatoes, finely chopped
> 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
>
> Make It
>
> PIERCE squash several times with fork or sharp knife to allow steam to
> escape. Microwave on HIGH 10 min. or just until squash is softened,
> turning after 5 min. Let stand 5 min.
>
> CUT squash in half; remove and discard seeds. Use fork to scrape insides
> of squash to form strands; place in large bowl. Add remaining ingredients;
> toss lightly with fork. Spoon into 1 squash shell; discard remaining
> shell.
>
> MICROWAVE 2 min. or until heated through.
>
> Kraft Kitchens TipsMake Ahead
>
> Microwave squash and pull into strands as directed; place in microwaveable
> bowl. Refrigerate up to 2 days. When ready to serve, microwave on HIGH 3
> to 5 min. or until heated through.

I love Spaghetti Squash. I usually just put a Spaghetti meat sauce on
it...going to try this one though...sounds so fresh and yummy...and easy
Thanks Cheri .

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Jacquie > wrote:

: "Cheri" > wrote in message
: ...
: > This from Kraft Kitchens September:
: >
: > What You Need
: >
[...]

I love it with a spicly tomato sauce adn lots of parmigian cheese! Eaasy
winter meal.

Syd and I usually split a squash. Now tht I am alone I woudl gues tht I
should cook only half at a time as I don't think it would be great the
second day. Any thoughts on that?

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 14:30:17 +0000 (UTC), "W. Baker"
> wrote:

>Syd and I usually split a squash. Now tht I am alone I woudl gues tht I
>should cook only half at a time as I don't think it would be great the
>second day. Any thoughts on that?

It works quite well just hacking a length-wise slice off, covering the
rest with cling-film, and keeping in the fridge for a few days. I
generally cook a 1/4 at a time for me, the squash generally lasts a
week. I did see an article in a magazine where you could microwave it,
strand it, then freeze it - but I haven't tried that yet.

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 150ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.2% BMI 26
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I'm going to give this a try later this week. I bought a spaghetti squash
and cooked it about 30 years ago, and it was a complete failure. I don't
think I had good instructions! I'd like something besides Alton Brown's
"eggplant pasta" to add to my pseudo-spaghetti list. (Eggplant pasta is
delicious as a vehicle for meat sauce when I want that comfort food fix, but
very time/labor intensive--and also very salty, even for me, who loves
salt.)

My one question is, if you bake the "spaghettied" squash with the cheese and
sauce instead of microwaving it--don't like microwaved cheese!--does it get
overcooked easily? Are you just looking at browning under the broiler, or a
quick warm up?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i must be lazy

i cut the spaghetti squash in 1/2, scoop out the seeds, fill the gap
with bolognaise sauce or basil tomato sauce or......... whatever s'getti
sauce i want to (haven't tried alfredo)

put a rack in a pan, put some water in the pan, place the squash on the
rack and pop it in the over for ? 45 min to 1 hour (pierce the squash
with a fork to test for doneness)

1/2 of a spaghetti squash will feed myself and hubby (teenlet wrinkles
his nose at it)

the shredding/stringing of the squash is done on your plate at the
table, along with getting rid of any skin you don't want to eat

LOL

kate

On 9/20/2010 8:03 AM, Janet wrote:
> I'm going to give this a try later this week. I bought a spaghetti squash
> and cooked it about 30 years ago, and it was a complete failure. I don't
> think I had good instructions! I'd like something besides Alton Brown's
> "eggplant pasta" to add to my pseudo-spaghetti list. (Eggplant pasta is
> delicious as a vehicle for meat sauce when I want that comfort food fix, but
> very time/labor intensive--and also very salty, even for me, who loves
> salt.)
>
> My one question is, if you bake the "spaghettied" squash with the cheese and
> sauce instead of microwaving it--don't like microwaved cheese!--does it get
> overcooked easily? Are you just looking at browning under the broiler, or a
> quick warm up?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet > wrote:
: I'm going to give this a try later this week. I bought a spaghetti squash
: and cooked it about 30 years ago, and it was a complete failure. I don't
: think I had good instructions! I'd like something besides Alton Brown's
: "eggplant pasta" to add to my pseudo-spaghetti list. (Eggplant pasta is
: delicious as a vehicle for meat sauce when I want that comfort food fix, but
: very time/labor intensive--and also very salty, even for me, who loves
: salt.)

: My one question is, if you bake the "spaghettied" squash with the cheese and
: sauce instead of microwaving it--don't like microwaved cheese!--does it get
: overcooked easily? Are you just looking at browning under the broiler, or a
: quick warm up?

Two points for you. You can also use whole, fresh string beans as a
substitute for spaghetti. I do them with defatted(poke holes and micro
for 2 mins, drain fat and wipe sausages, slice and brown) hot Itlian style
beef sausages and a tasty jarred sauce of your choice (or homemade) I put
these over steamed or microwaved string beans and heat in the microwave
for a minute or two to blend flavors and have piping hot.

Second-When I do spaghetti squash, I dont do anything afater puttign the
sauce adn grated cheese on the strand of hot spacghetti squach. Just make
sure your sauce is hot.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 09:06:20 -0600, Tiger Lily > wrote:

>i must be lazy
>
>i cut the spaghetti squash in 1/2, scoop out the seeds, fill the gap
>with bolognaise sauce or basil tomato sauce or......... whatever s'getti
>sauce i want to (haven't tried alfredo)
>
>put a rack in a pan, put some water in the pan, place the squash on the
>rack and pop it in the over for ? 45 min to 1 hour (pierce the squash
>with a fork to test for doneness)

Doesn't it get too watery, then, Kate?

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 150ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.2% BMI 26
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 9/20/2010 2:33 PM, Nicky wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 09:06:20 -0600, Tiger > wrote:
>
>> i must be lazy
>>
>> i cut the spaghetti squash in 1/2, scoop out the seeds, fill the gap
>> with bolognaise sauce or basil tomato sauce or......... whatever s'getti
>> sauce i want to (haven't tried alfredo)
>>
>> put a rack in a pan, put some water in the pan, place the squash on the
>> rack and pop it in the over for ? 45 min to 1 hour (pierce the squash
>> with a fork to test for doneness)

> Doesn't it get too watery, then, Kate?
>
> Nicky.
> T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
> D&E, 150ug thyroxine
> Last A1c 5.2% BMI 26

no, not a LOT of water, just enough to 'steam' the squash while it bakes

and i poke holes in the skin of the squash, so that probably allows any
accumulated water to ooze back out

i cook my butternut and acorn squash face down, on a rack, over water as
well........ and yes, that is very moist, but mash it up and you just
enjoy the moist flavour/texture of the squash

pumpkin.............. pumpkin pie!!! teenlet loves it

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i love this stuff, Lee
"Cheri" > wrote in message
> This from Kraft Kitchens September:
>
> What You Need
>
> 1 large Spaghetti squash (3 lb.)
> 2 Tbsp. Grated Parmesan Cheese
> 1/2 cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
> 2 Plum tomatoes, finely chopped
> 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
>
> Make It
>
> PIERCE squash several times with fork or sharp knife to allow steam to
> escape. Microwave on HIGH 10 min. or just until squash is softened,
> turning after 5 min. Let stand 5 min.
>
> CUT squash in half; remove and discard seeds. Use fork to scrape insides
> of squash to form strands; place in large bowl. Add remaining ingredients;
> toss lightly with fork. Spoon into 1 squash shell; discard remaining
> shell.
>
> MICROWAVE 2 min. or until heated through.
>
> Kraft Kitchens TipsMake Ahead
>
> Microwave squash and pull into strands as directed; place in microwaveable
> bowl. Refrigerate up to 2 days. When ready to serve, microwave on HIGH 3
> to 5 min. or until heated through.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

my kind of cooking, am saving for the time when we again have an oven, Lee
"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
>i must be lazy
>
> i cut the spaghetti squash in 1/2, scoop out the seeds, fill the gap with
> bolognaise sauce or basil tomato sauce or......... whatever s'getti sauce
> i want to (haven't tried alfredo)
>
> put a rack in a pan, put some water in the pan, place the squash on the
> rack and pop it in the over for ? 45 min to 1 hour (pierce the squash with
> a fork to test for doneness)
>
> 1/2 of a spaghetti squash will feed myself and hubby (teenlet wrinkles his
> nose at it)
>
> the shredding/stringing of the squash is done on your plate at the table,
> along with getting rid of any skin you don't want to eat
>
> LOL
>
> kate
>
> On 9/20/2010 8:03 AM, Janet wrote:
>> I'm going to give this a try later this week. I bought a spaghetti squash
>> and cooked it about 30 years ago, and it was a complete failure. I don't
>> think I had good instructions! I'd like something besides Alton Brown's
>> "eggplant pasta" to add to my pseudo-spaghetti list. (Eggplant pasta is
>> delicious as a vehicle for meat sauce when I want that comfort food fix,
>> but
>> very time/labor intensive--and also very salty, even for me, who loves
>> salt.)
>>
>> My one question is, if you bake the "spaghettied" squash with the cheese
>> and
>> sauce instead of microwaving it--don't like microwaved cheese!--does it
>> get
>> overcooked easily? Are you just looking at browning under the broiler, or
>> quick warm up?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

it keeps fine, and along with the sauce, i like it with butter splenda and
cinnamon or nutmeg for dessert, Lee
"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Jacquie > wrote:
>
> : "Cheri" > wrote in message
> : ...
> : > This from Kraft Kitchens September:
> : >
> : > What You Need
> : >
> : > 1 large Spaghetti squash (3 lb.)
> : > 2 Tbsp. Grated Parmesan Cheese
> : > 1/2 cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
> : > 2 Plum tomatoes, finely chopped
> : > 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
> : >
> : > Make It
> : >
> : > PIERCE squash several times with fork or sharp knife to allow steam to
> : > escape. Microwave on HIGH 10 min. or just until squash is softened,
> : > turning after 5 min. Let stand 5 min.
> : >
> : > CUT squash in half; remove and discard seeds. Use fork to scrape
> insides
> : > of squash to form strands; place in large bowl. Add remaining
> ingredients;
> : > toss lightly with fork. Spoon into 1 squash shell; discard remaining
> : > shell.
> : >
> : > MICROWAVE 2 min. or until heated through.
> : >
> : > Kraft Kitchens TipsMake Ahead
> : >
> : > Microwave squash and pull into strands as directed; place in
> microwaveable
> : > bowl. Refrigerate up to 2 days. When ready to serve, microwave on HIGH
> 3
> : > to 5 min. or until heated through.
> : >
> : I love Spaghetti Squash. I usually just put a Spaghetti meat sauce on
> : it...going to try this one though...sounds so fresh and yummy...and easy
>
> : Thanks Cheri .
>
> I love it with a spicly tomato sauce adn lots of parmigian cheese! Eaasy
> winter meal.
>
> Syd and I usually split a squash. Now tht I am alone I woudl gues tht I
> should cook only half at a time as I don't think it would be great the
> second day. Any thoughts on that?
>
> Wendy

Spaghetti Squash Pie Cheri[_3_] Diabetic 29 10-10-2010 02:36 PM
Spaghetti Squash Z GIRL General Cooking 26 12-10-2009 04:50 PM
SPAGHETTI SQUASH Mikie[_3_] General Cooking 12 23-05-2009 07:27 PM
Spaghetti Squash Emily[_2_] Diabetic 15 05-08-2007 03:59 AM
Spaghetti squash The Bubbo General Cooking 13 21-03-2006 06:07 AM