Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default brand name of kosher pareve chorizo

Ellen K. > wrote:
: Soyrizo.

So it sounds like it is also parev. I get wonderful italian sausages(mde
with real beef) in hot or sweet from Glatt Mart in Brooklyn, which amakes
them themselves. They are what I use in my diabetic spagetti, which iI
make with whole steamed (microwave) string beans, defatted and browned hot
sausages, sliced, a pasta sauce of your choice. Very ymmy.

My Mom used to use ssteamed or poached halibut in making a fake crabmeat
appetizer, putting sm elumps on a leaf of lettue in and old time wide
mouthed champaign glass adn topping it with traditionsal ketchup or chili
saauce adn horserradish cocktail sauce. Hm.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Ellen K. > wrote:
> : Soyrizo.
>
> So it sounds like it is also parev. I get wonderful italian sausages(mde
> with real beef) in hot or sweet from Glatt Mart in Brooklyn, which amakes
> them themselves. They are what I use in my diabetic spagetti, which iI
> make with whole steamed (microwave) string beans, defatted and browned hot
> sausages, sliced, a pasta sauce of your choice. Very ymmy.

I don't think we get the Glatt Mart ones here, but we have a local kosher
sausage outfit all the kosher foodies rave about. Never tried them myself.
I can't remember the name of it right now, but I think they have a retail
outlet in Farmer's Market.

Do you mean you use string beans instead of pasta in your "diabetic
spaghetti"? Because I can imagine the dish being quite tasty without any
actual pasta...

Back to sausage, as I previously posted I am not interested in the fake
chorizo one, but I have recently discovered a pareve Italian "sausage" made
by Trader Joe's that I quite like, they call it "Italian Sausageless
Sausage" and the ingredient list is much more appetizing than the Yves
brand. I slice one and sauté it in a tiny bit of olive oil in a nonstick
pan and after turning over the slices I pour two beaten eggs over it. Last
time I made it I also included a green onion. Usually the other part of the
meal is half a raw green pepper. I find it quite satisfying.

> My Mom used to use ssteamed or poached halibut in making a fake crabmeat
> appetizer, putting sm elumps on a leaf of lettue in and old time wide
> mouthed champaign glass adn topping it with traditionsal ketchup or chili
> saauce adn horserradish cocktail sauce. Hm.

They have kosher fake crab now, I think it might be called surimi? I know
it's made from fish, but don't know what kind. Personally I'm perfectly
happy eating regular fish.

> Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ellen K. > wrote:

: "W. Baker" > wrote in message
: ...
: > Ellen K. > wrote:
: > : Soyrizo.
: >
: > So it sounds like it is also parev. I get wonderful italian sausages(mde
: > with real beef) in hot or sweet from Glatt Mart in Brooklyn, which amakes
: > them themselves. They are what I use in my diabetic spagetti, which iI
: > make with whole steamed (microwave) string beans, defatted and browned hot
: > sausages, sliced, a pasta sauce of your choice. Very ymmy.
:
Of course, no pasta. the stringbeans are i lieu of any pasta. there is
also spghetti squash, which, after b aking or nuking n halves cut side
down, can be scraped into strings with a fork and plated and sauces as you
like. It is the lowest in cars of the hard shelled winter squashes.

: Do you mean you use string beans instead of pasta in your "diabetic
: spaghetti"? Because I can imagine the dish being quite tasty without any
: actual pasta...

: Back to sausage, as I previously posted I am not interested in the fake
: chorizo one, but I have recently discovered a pareve Italian "sausage" made
: by Trader Joe's that I quite like, they call it "Italian Sausageless
: Sausage" and the ingredient list is much more appetizing than the Yves
: brand. I slice one and saut? it in a tiny bit of olive oil in a nonstick
: pan and after turning over the slices I pour two beaten eggs over it. Last
: time I made it I also included a green onion. Usually the other part of the
: meal is half a raw green pepper. I find it quite satisfying.

Ha! There is a breakfast suggestin for you insead of the 3 oz of cheese.

: > My Mom used to use ssteamed or poached halibut in making a fake crabmeat
: > appetizer, putting sm elumps on a leaf of lettue in and old time wide
: > mouthed champaign glass adn topping it with traditionsal ketchup or chili
: > saauce adn horserradish cocktail sauce. Hm.
: >

: They have kosher fake crab now, I think it might be called surimi? I know
: it's made from fish, but don't know what kind. Personally I'm perfectly
: happy eating regular fish.

Surimi is quite high in carbs as they add sugar to duplicate the natural
sweetness of teh shellfish. Don't try it.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Ellen K. > wrote:
>
> : "W. Baker" > wrote in message
> : ...
> : > Ellen K. > wrote:
> : > : Soyrizo.
> : >
> : > So it sounds like it is also parev. I get wonderful italian
> sausages(mde
> : > with real beef) in hot or sweet from Glatt Mart in Brooklyn, which
> amakes
> : > them themselves. They are what I use in my diabetic spagetti, which
> iI
> : > make with whole steamed (microwave) string beans, defatted and browned
> hot
> : > sausages, sliced, a pasta sauce of your choice. Very ymmy.
> :
> Of course, no pasta. the stringbeans are i lieu of any pasta. there is
> also spghetti squash, which, after b aking or nuking n halves cut side
> down, can be scraped into strings with a fork and plated and sauces as you
> like. It is the lowest in cars of the hard shelled winter squashes.

Yep, I'm familiar with it... but for myself I think I would just julienne
some zucchini, probably even leave it raw, just nuke long enough to get it
hot. (Another change in my body chemistry since going low-carb, I used to
only like zucchini steamed, now I prefer it raw!)

> : Do you mean you use string beans instead of pasta in your "diabetic
> : spaghetti"? Because I can imagine the dish being quite tasty without
> any
> : actual pasta...
>
> : Back to sausage, as I previously posted I am not interested in the fake
> : chorizo one, but I have recently discovered a pareve Italian "sausage"
> made
> : by Trader Joe's that I quite like, they call it "Italian Sausageless
> : Sausage" and the ingredient list is much more appetizing than the Yves
> : brand. I slice one and saut? it in a tiny bit of olive oil in a
> nonstick
> : pan and after turning over the slices I pour two beaten eggs over it.
> Last
> : time I made it I also included a green onion. Usually the other part of
> the
> : meal is half a raw green pepper. I find it quite satisfying.
>
> Ha! There is a breakfast suggestin for you insead of the 3 oz of cheese.

I think it's too many carbs for breakfast, the sausage has 6 gm net (7 gm
minus 1 gm fiber) and the green pepper would be another net 3 compared to
net 2 for the romaine. Usually I use it as a lunch meal.

> : > My Mom used to use ssteamed or poached halibut in making a fake
> crabmeat
> : > appetizer, putting sm elumps on a leaf of lettue in and old time
> wide
> : > mouthed champaign glass adn topping it with traditionsal ketchup or
> chili
> : > saauce adn horserradish cocktail sauce. Hm.
> : >
>
> : They have kosher fake crab now, I think it might be called surimi? I
> know
> : it's made from fish, but don't know what kind. Personally I'm perfectly
> : happy eating regular fish.
>
> Surimi is quite high in carbs as they add sugar to duplicate the natural
> sweetness of teh shellfish. Don't try it.

Well, as noted it doesn't interest me, I'm perfectly happy eating regular
fish.

> Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message

> : Back to sausage, as I previously posted I am not interested in the fake
> : chorizo one, but I have recently discovered a pareve Italian "sausage"
> made
> : by Trader Joe's that I quite like, they call it "Italian Sausageless
> : Sausage" and the ingredient list is much more appetizing than the Yves
> : brand. I slice one and saut? it in a tiny bit of olive oil in a
> nonstick
> : pan and after turning over the slices I pour two beaten eggs over it.
> Last
> : time I made it I also included a green onion. Usually the other part of
> the
> : meal is half a raw green pepper. I find it quite satisfying.
>
> Ha! There is a breakfast suggestin for you insead of the 3 oz of cheese.

Just to be clear, I am perfectly *happy* eating 3 oz of cheese, I am just
wanting to know if it is the fastest way to cut off the dawn phenomenon
thing.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sun, 29 Aug 2010 14:20:19 -0700, "Ellen K."
> wrote:

>Just to be clear, I am perfectly *happy* eating 3 oz of cheese, I am just
>wanting to know if it is the fastest way to cut off the dawn phenomenon
>thing.

Trick there is to delay the start of the rise by eating
fat/protein/carb combo at night, then to turn off the volume of it by
eating the right amount of carbs at breakfast. Exactly what that is,
varies hugely from person to person - I need 6g of carbs in the
morning, and a handful of nuts and a glass of wine at bedtime. That
took a lot of experimenting...

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 150ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.2% BMI 26
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

It needs CARBS to turn it off in the morning?

Oh boy.

So how did you figure this out? And what is your current breakfast?

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 29 Aug 2010 14:20:19 -0700, "Ellen K."
> > wrote:
>
>>Just to be clear, I am perfectly *happy* eating 3 oz of cheese, I am just
>>wanting to know if it is the fastest way to cut off the dawn phenomenon
>>thing.

> Trick there is to delay the start of the rise by eating
> fat/protein/carb combo at night, then to turn off the volume of it by
> eating the right amount of carbs at breakfast. Exactly what that is,
> varies hugely from person to person - I need 6g of carbs in the
> morning, and a handful of nuts and a glass of wine at bedtime. That
> took a lot of experimenting...
>
> Nicky.
> T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
> D&E, 150ug thyroxine
> Last A1c 5.2% BMI 26

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 13:25:42 -0700, "Ellen K."
> wrote:

>It needs CARBS to turn it off in the morning?

Yes, the mechanism is to turn off the release of glucose from the
liver, by having just the right amount of carbs coming in from the
digestion.

I will typically have a 2-egg & mushroom omelette; or a Ryvita cracker
with maybe some ham; or a cream cheese and flax waffle; washed down
with a cup of strong coffee with a Splenda tab. If I have to
grab-and-run, I'll wrap a finger of cheese in a slice of ham, or if
I'm super-organised, a mini sausage, egg and bacon crustless quiche or
a flax muffin.

Alan's got some good ideas on his blog - I don't have the link handy,
but he keeps it in his sig. He can cope with way-out things like
leftover stew for breakfast - my head has that kind of stuff firmly in
the lunch/supper bracket, but if you can cope, it'll work well.

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 150ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.2% BMI 26
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Ellen's breakfast vis-ŕ-vis morning readings

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 13:25:42 -0700, "Ellen K."
> > wrote:
>
>>It needs CARBS to turn it off in the morning?

> Yes, the mechanism is to turn off the release of glucose from the
> liver, by having just the right amount of carbs coming in from the
> digestion.

Today instead of my usual romaine lettuce, I tried a whole raw green pepper
with my cheese, i.e. about 5 gm net carbs instead of 2. Here are my
numbers:
5:58 98 This is shortly after getting up, and incidentally my lowest
FBG so far.
6:33 104 Right before breakfast. Finished the food at 7:08.
7:53 137 45 minutes after finishing the food, missed testing at what I
now think is my peak of 35 minutes because I was in the middle of something
for work.
8:18 133 70 minutes
After this didn't test again till 11:08, four hours after the food, which
was 104.

So while 137 is under the magic 140, it's still 33 points up from the
pre-breakfast value, and was probably not even the peak, although
considering that the next 25 minutes resulted in a reduction of only 4
points, maybe the peak wasn't much higher than the 137.

Any thoughts?

> I will typically have a 2-egg & mushroom omelette; or a Ryvita cracker
> with maybe some ham; or a cream cheese and flax waffle; washed down
> with a cup of strong coffee with a Splenda tab. If I have to
> grab-and-run, I'll wrap a finger of cheese in a slice of ham, or if
> I'm super-organised, a mini sausage, egg and bacon crustless quiche or
> a flax muffin.
>
> Alan's got some good ideas on his blog - I don't have the link handy,
> but he keeps it in his sig. He can cope with way-out things like
> leftover stew for breakfast - my head has that kind of stuff firmly in
> the lunch/supper bracket, but if you can cope, it'll work well.
>
> Nicky.
> T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
> D&E, 150ug thyroxine
> Last A1c 5.2% BMI 26

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 9/3/2010 4:39 PM, Ellen K. wrote:

> "Nicky" > wrote in message
>> On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 13:25:42 -0700, "Ellen K."
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> It needs CARBS to turn it off in the morning?

>> Yes, the mechanism is to turn off the release of glucose from the
>> liver, by having just the right amount of carbs coming in from the
>> digestion.
>>

> Today instead of my usual romaine lettuce, I tried a whole raw green
> pepper with my cheese, i.e. about 5 gm net carbs instead of 2. Here are
> my numbers:
> 5:58 98 This is shortly after getting up, and incidentally my lowest FBG
> so far.
> 6:33 104 Right before breakfast. Finished the food at 7:08.
> 7:53 137 45 minutes after finishing the food, missed testing at what I
> now think is my peak of 35 minutes because I was in the middle of
> something for work.
> 8:18 133 70 minutes
> After this didn't test again till 11:08, four hours after the food,
> which was 104.
>
> So while 137 is under the magic 140, it's still 33 points up from the
> pre-breakfast value, and was probably not even the peak, although
> considering that the next 25 minutes resulted in a reduction of only 4
> points, maybe the peak wasn't much higher than the 137.
>
> Any thoughts?

My only thought is that cheese and a green pepper should not spike you
like that. My suggestion is that you may need professional intervention.

You might want to stop that "net carb" stuff and just count all the
carbs. Though I have never heard of "net carbs" with cheese and a green
pepper.
--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ellen K." > wrote in message

> "Nicky" > wrote in message
>> On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 13:25:42 -0700, "Ellen K."
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>It needs CARBS to turn it off in the morning?

>> Yes, the mechanism is to turn off the release of glucose from the
>> liver, by having just the right amount of carbs coming in from the
>> digestion.
>>

> Today instead of my usual romaine lettuce, I tried a whole raw green
> pepper with my cheese, i.e. about 5 gm net carbs instead of 2. Here are
> my numbers:
> 5:58 98 This is shortly after getting up, and incidentally my
> lowest FBG so far.
> 6:33 104 Right before breakfast. Finished the food at 7:08.
> 7:53 137 45 minutes after finishing the food, missed testing at what
> I now think is my peak of 35 minutes because I was in the middle of
> something for work.
> 8:18 133 70 minutes
> After this didn't test again till 11:08, four hours after the food, which
> was 104.
>
> So while 137 is under the magic 140, it's still 33 points up from the
> pre-breakfast value, and was probably not even the peak, although
> considering that the next 25 minutes resulted in a reduction of only 4
> points, maybe the peak wasn't much higher than the 137.
>
> Any thoughts?

I'm no expert but I believe everyone's BG goes up at about the half hour
mark. I would be more concerned with the one or two hour mark.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> On 9/3/2010 4:39 PM, Ellen K. wrote:
>>
>> "Nicky" > wrote in message
>>> On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 13:25:42 -0700, "Ellen K."

>>> Yes, the mechanism is to turn off the release of glucose from the
>>> liver, by having just the right amount of carbs coming in from the
>>> digestion.
>>>

>> Today instead of my usual romaine lettuce, I tried a whole raw green
>> pepper with my cheese, i.e. about 5 gm net carbs instead of 2. Here are
>> my numbers:
>> 5:58 98 This is shortly after getting up, and incidentally my lowest FBG
>> so far.
>> 6:33 104 Right before breakfast. Finished the food at 7:08.
>> 7:53 137 45 minutes after finishing the food, missed testing at what I
>> now think is my peak of 35 minutes because I was in the middle of
>> something for work.
>> 8:18 133 70 minutes
>> After this didn't test again till 11:08, four hours after the food,
>> which was 104.
>>
>> So while 137 is under the magic 140, it's still 33 points up from the
>> pre-breakfast value, and was probably not even the peak, although
>> considering that the next 25 minutes resulted in a reduction of only 4
>> points, maybe the peak wasn't much higher than the 137.
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>>

> My only thought is that cheese and a green pepper should not spike you
> like that. My suggestion is that you may need professional intervention.
>
> You might want to stop that "net carb" stuff and just count all the carbs.
> Though I have never heard of "net carbs" with cheese and a green pepper.

Net carbs are the carbs minus the fiber. That is how it should be counted.
But personally I would not count the carbs from a non-starchy vegetable
unless I were to eat a lot of them. Like a huge (I'm talking serving bowl
size) salad.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 9/3/2010 5:15 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> Today instead of my usual romaine lettuce, I tried a whole raw green
>>> pepper with my cheese, i.e. about 5 gm net carbs instead of 2. Here are
>>> my numbers:
>>> 5:58 98 This is shortly after getting up, and incidentally my lowest FBG
>>> so far.
>>> 6:33 104 Right before breakfast. Finished the food at 7:08.
>>> 7:53 137 45 minutes after finishing the food, missed testing at what I
>>> now think is my peak of 35 minutes because I was in the middle of
>>> something for work.
>>> 8:18 133 70 minutes
>>> After this didn't test again till 11:08, four hours after the food,
>>> which was 104.
>>>
>>> So while 137 is under the magic 140, it's still 33 points up from the
>>> pre-breakfast value, and was probably not even the peak, although
>>> considering that the next 25 minutes resulted in a reduction of only 4
>>> points, maybe the peak wasn't much higher than the 137.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts?
>>>

>> My only thought is that cheese and a green pepper should not spike you
>> like that. My suggestion is that you may need professional intervention.
>>
>> You might want to stop that "net carb" stuff and just count all the carbs.
>> Though I have never heard of "net carbs" with cheese and a green pepper.

> Net carbs are the carbs minus the fiber. That is how it should be counted.
> But personally I would not count the carbs from a non-starchy vegetable
> unless I were to eat a lot of them. Like a huge (I'm talking serving bowl
> size) salad.

But you can't do that with everything. The non-digestable fiber has to
be at least 5g per serving. Too many people read labels with "net carbs"
that deduct sugar alcohols. Then they wonder why they spiked.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> On 9/3/2010 4:39 PM, Ellen K. wrote:
>>
>> "Nicky" > wrote in message
>>> On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 13:25:42 -0700, "Ellen K."

>>> Yes, the mechanism is to turn off the release of glucose from the
>>> liver, by having just the right amount of carbs coming in from the
>>> digestion.
>>>

>> Today instead of my usual romaine lettuce, I tried a whole raw green
>> pepper with my cheese, i.e. about 5 gm net carbs instead of 2. Here are
>> my numbers:
>> 5:58 98 This is shortly after getting up, and incidentally my lowest FBG
>> so far.
>> 6:33 104 Right before breakfast. Finished the food at 7:08.
>> 7:53 137 45 minutes after finishing the food, missed testing at what I
>> now think is my peak of 35 minutes because I was in the middle of
>> something for work.
>> 8:18 133 70 minutes
>> After this didn't test again till 11:08, four hours after the food,
>> which was 104.
>>
>> So while 137 is under the magic 140, it's still 33 points up from the
>> pre-breakfast value, and was probably not even the peak, although
>> considering that the next 25 minutes resulted in a reduction of only 4
>> points, maybe the peak wasn't much higher than the 137.
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>>

> My only thought is that cheese and a green pepper should not spike you
> like that. My suggestion is that you may need professional intervention.

I don't think the food spiked me, I think the dawn phenomenon just keeps
going up.

> You might want to stop that "net carb" stuff and just count all the carbs.
> Though I have never heard of "net carbs" with cheese and a green pepper.

The cheese doesn't have any carbs, I'm counting net carbs (total carbs minus
fiber carbs) for the green pepper only.

> --
> Janet Wilder
> Way-the-heck-south Texas
> Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Ellen K." > wrote in message
>>
>> "Nicky" > wrote in message
>>> On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 13:25:42 -0700, "Ellen K."

>>> Yes, the mechanism is to turn off the release of glucose from the
>>> liver, by having just the right amount of carbs coming in from the
>>> digestion.
>>>

>> Today instead of my usual romaine lettuce, I tried a whole raw green
>> pepper with my cheese, i.e. about 5 gm net carbs instead of 2. Here are
>> my numbers:
>> 5:58 98 This is shortly after getting up, and incidentally my
>> lowest FBG so far.
>> 6:33 104 Right before breakfast. Finished the food at 7:08.
>> 7:53 137 45 minutes after finishing the food, missed testing at
>> what I now think is my peak of 35 minutes because I was in the middle of
>> something for work.
>> 8:18 133 70 minutes
>> After this didn't test again till 11:08, four hours after the food, which
>> was 104.
>>
>> So while 137 is under the magic 140, it's still 33 points up from the
>> pre-breakfast value, and was probably not even the peak, although
>> considering that the next 25 minutes resulted in a reduction of only 4
>> points, maybe the peak wasn't much higher than the 137.
>>
>> Any thoughts?

> I'm no expert but I believe everyone's BG goes up at about the half hour
> mark. I would be more concerned with the one or two hour mark.

45 minutes after finishing the food, BG was 33 points higher than right
before the meal.
70 minutes (more than an hour) after finishing the food, BG was still 29
points higher than right before the meal.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ellen K." > wrote in message

> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message

>>> Today instead of my usual romaine lettuce, I tried a whole raw green
>>> pepper with my cheese, i.e. about 5 gm net carbs instead of 2. Here
>>> are
>>> my numbers:
>>> 5:58 98 This is shortly after getting up, and incidentally my lowest
>>> FBG
>>> so far.
>>> 6:33 104 Right before breakfast. Finished the food at 7:08.
>>> 7:53 137 45 minutes after finishing the food, missed testing at what
>>> now think is my peak of 35 minutes because I was in the middle of
>>> something for work.
>>> 8:18 133 70 minutes
>>> After this didn't test again till 11:08, four hours after the food,
>>> which was 104.
>>>
>>> So while 137 is under the magic 140, it's still 33 points up from
>>> the
>>> pre-breakfast value, and was probably not even the peak, although
>>> considering that the next 25 minutes resulted in a reduction of only
>>> 4
>>> points, maybe the peak wasn't much higher than the 137.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts?
>>>

>> My only thought is that cheese and a green pepper should not spike
>> you like that. My suggestion is that you may need professional
>> intervention.
>>

> I don't think the food spiked me, I think the dawn phenomenon just
> keeps going up.

Then try 1/2 slice of rye bread or equivalent carbs in rye crackers plus
the fat/protein and see what happens.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Can't remember if you have tried changing the protein type yet. Like a
tuna 'salad" with vinaigrette or a couple of eggs, lettuce and mayo.....

"Ellen K." > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> Today instead of my usual romaine lettuce, I tried a whole raw green
>>> pepper with my cheese, i.e. about 5 gm net carbs instead of 2. Here
>>> are my numbers:
>>> 5:58 98 This is shortly after getting up, and incidentally my
>>> lowest FBG so far.
>>> 6:33 104 Right before breakfast. Finished the food at 7:08.
>>> 7:53 137 45 minutes after finishing the food, missed testing
>>> at what I now think is my peak of 35 minutes because I was in the
>>> middle of something for work.
>>> 8:18 133 70 minutes
>>> After this didn't test again till 11:08, four hours after the food,
>>> which was 104.
>>>
>>> So while 137 is under the magic 140, it's still 33 points up from
>>> the pre-breakfast value, and was probably not even the peak,
>>> although considering that the next 25 minutes resulted in a
>>> reduction of only 4 points, maybe the peak wasn't much higher than
>>> the 137.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts?

>> I'm no expert but I believe everyone's BG goes up at about the half
>> hour mark. I would be more concerned with the one or two hour mark.
>>

> 45 minutes after finishing the food, BG was 33 points higher than
> right before the meal.
> 70 minutes (more than an hour) after finishing the food, BG was still
> 29 points higher than right before the meal.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> On 9/3/2010 5:15 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> My only thought is that cheese and a green pepper should not spike you
>>> like that. My suggestion is that you may need professional intervention.
>>>
>>> You might want to stop that "net carb" stuff and just count all the
>>> carbs.
>>> Though I have never heard of "net carbs" with cheese and a green pepper.

>> Net carbs are the carbs minus the fiber. That is how it should be
>> counted.
>> But personally I would not count the carbs from a non-starchy vegetable
>> unless I were to eat a lot of them. Like a huge (I'm talking serving
>> bowl
>> size) salad.
>>

> But you can't do that with everything. The non-digestable fiber has to be
> at least 5g per serving. Too many people read labels with "net carbs" that
> deduct sugar alcohols. Then they wonder why they spiked.

I don't know about that. I don't eat sugar alcohols except for the
occasional sugar free mint and then every time I do, I kick myself because
it tastes like crap.

Do you have a cite that the non-digestible fiber has to be at least 5g per
serving? Because I was told in factoring carbs to deduct it for everything.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ellen K." > wrote in message

> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message

>>> Today instead of my usual romaine lettuce, I tried a whole raw green
>>> pepper with my cheese, i.e. about 5 gm net carbs instead of 2. Here are
>>> my numbers:
>>> 5:58 98 This is shortly after getting up, and incidentally my lowest FBG
>>> so far.
>>> 6:33 104 Right before breakfast. Finished the food at 7:08.
>>> 7:53 137 45 minutes after finishing the food, missed testing at what I
>>> now think is my peak of 35 minutes because I was in the middle of
>>> something for work.
>>> 8:18 133 70 minutes
>>> After this didn't test again till 11:08, four hours after the food,
>>> which was 104.
>>>
>>> So while 137 is under the magic 140, it's still 33 points up from the
>>> pre-breakfast value, and was probably not even the peak, although
>>> considering that the next 25 minutes resulted in a reduction of only 4
>>> points, maybe the peak wasn't much higher than the 137.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts?
>>>

>> My only thought is that cheese and a green pepper should not spike you
>> like that. My suggestion is that you may need professional intervention.
>>

> I don't think the food spiked me, I think the dawn phenomenon just keeps
> going up.
>
>> You might want to stop that "net carb" stuff and just count all the
>> carbs. Though I have never heard of "net carbs" with cheese and a green
>> pepper.

> The cheese doesn't have any carbs, I'm counting net carbs (total carbs
> minus fiber carbs) for the green pepper only.

Perhaps then you need more carbs still. I have to eat some form of carby
food in the morning or my BG just goes higher. But how much? Well there's
the rub. Back when I could eat cheese on a regular basis, I bought these
little tiny cheese crackers. I think they were Cheezits. I could eat 7.
Exactly 7.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ellen K." > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> Today instead of my usual romaine lettuce, I tried a whole raw green
>>> pepper with my cheese, i.e. about 5 gm net carbs instead of 2. Here are
>>> my numbers:
>>> 5:58 98 This is shortly after getting up, and incidentally my
>>> lowest FBG so far.
>>> 6:33 104 Right before breakfast. Finished the food at 7:08.
>>> 7:53 137 45 minutes after finishing the food, missed testing at
>>> what I now think is my peak of 35 minutes because I was in the middle of
>>> something for work.
>>> 8:18 133 70 minutes
>>> After this didn't test again till 11:08, four hours after the food,
>>> which was 104.
>>>
>>> So while 137 is under the magic 140, it's still 33 points up from the
>>> pre-breakfast value, and was probably not even the peak, although
>>> considering that the next 25 minutes resulted in a reduction of only 4
>>> points, maybe the peak wasn't much higher than the 137.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts?

>> I'm no expert but I believe everyone's BG goes up at about the half hour
>> mark. I would be more concerned with the one or two hour mark.
>>

> 45 minutes after finishing the food, BG was 33 points higher than right
> before the meal.
> 70 minutes (more than an hour) after finishing the food, BG was still 29
> points higher than right before the meal.

Hmmm... I would still go for more carbs though.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> Do you have a cite that the non-digestible fiber has to be at least 5g per
> serving? Because I was told in factoring carbs to deduct it for everything.

Some people are told to follow that rule, others are not. I do not
follow it.

PP
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> Do you have a cite that the non-digestible fiber has to be at least 5g
>> per
>> serving? Because I was told in factoring carbs to deduct it for
>> everything.

> Some people are told to follow that rule, others are not. I do not
> follow it.

Well seeing as how I use insulin, I have to get the correct carb count.
That's why I wanted an actual cite. What people were told is of no matter
to me.

That being said, I do follow the Exchange Plan and on that plan you do not
count the low carb vegetables unless you are eating 3 or more servings per
meal. Then you have to count it as a carb. Carb being 15g. That's minus
the fiber.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Ellen K." > wrote in message

>>> My only thought is that cheese and a green pepper should not spike you
>>> like that. My suggestion is that you may need professional intervention.
>>>

>> I don't think the food spiked me, I think the dawn phenomenon just keeps
>> going up.

> Then try 1/2 slice of rye bread or equivalent carbs in rye crackers plus
> the fat/protein and see what happens.

Just want to be sure I understand what you're suggesting, add approximately
10 g grain-based carbs to the green veggie & cheese?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ellen K." > wrote in message

> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message

>>> I don't think the food spiked me, I think the dawn phenomenon just
>>> keeps going up.

>> Then try 1/2 slice of rye bread or equivalent carbs in rye crackers
>> plus the fat/protein and see what happens.

> Just want to be sure I understand what you're suggesting, add
> approximately 10 g grain-based carbs to the green veggie & cheese?

Yep. Although 1/2 a slice of the rye breads I get would be about 7-8 gr
net carb. So that would be about 10gr including the pepper.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Ellen K." > wrote in message

>>> Then try 1/2 slice of rye bread or equivalent carbs in rye crackers plus
>>> the fat/protein and see what happens.

>> Just want to be sure I understand what you're suggesting, add
>> approximately 10 g grain-based carbs to the green veggie & cheese?

> Yep. Although 1/2 a slice of the rye breads I get would be about 7-8 gr
> net carb. So that would be about 10gr including the pepper.

I had the pepper at 5 (7 minus 2), I have some rye matzo here which has 22
(24 -2) for a whole one, I was thinking a half, but since it looks like
you're suggesting to try for around 10 total, maybe I should try a quarter.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ellen K." > wrote in message

> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message

>>> Just want to be sure I understand what you're suggesting, add
>>> approximately 10 g grain-based carbs to the green veggie & cheese?

>> Yep. Although 1/2 a slice of the rye breads I get would be about 7-8
>> gr net carb. So that would be about 10gr including the pepper.

> I had the pepper at 5 (7 minus 2), I have some rye matzo here which
> has 22 (24 -2) for a whole one, I was thinking a half, but since it
> looks like you're suggesting to try for around 10 total, maybe I
> should try a quarter.

Sounds reasonable. You will either go much higher with the matzo or stay
around the same pre meal bg. If you stay the same then you probably
weren't turning off DP with the previous meals.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Ellen K." > wrote in message

>>> Then try 1/2 slice of rye bread or equivalent carbs in rye crackers plus
>>> the fat/protein and see what happens.

>> Just want to be sure I understand what you're suggesting, add
>> approximately 10 g grain-based carbs to the green veggie & cheese?

> Yep. Although 1/2 a slice of the rye breads I get would be about 7-8 gr
> net carb. So that would be about 10gr including the pepper.

Here you can get snack rye at some stores. I used to buy that. I think the
little slices had like 4g per.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Ellen K." > wrote in message

>>> Yep. Although 1/2 a slice of the rye breads I get would be about 7-8 gr
>>> net carb. So that would be about 10gr including the pepper.

>> I had the pepper at 5 (7 minus 2), I have some rye matzo here which has
>> 22 (24 -2) for a whole one, I was thinking a half, but since it looks
>> like you're suggesting to try for around 10 total, maybe I should try a
>> quarter.

> Sounds reasonable. You will either go much higher with the matzo or stay
> around the same pre meal bg. If you stay the same then you probably
> weren't turning off DP with the previous meals.

OK, thanks very much! I'll report back.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message

>>> Just want to be sure I understand what you're suggesting, add
>>> approximately 10 g grain-based carbs to the green veggie & cheese?

>> Yep. Although 1/2 a slice of the rye breads I get would be about 7-8 gr
>> net carb. So that would be about 10gr including the pepper.

> Here you can get snack rye at some stores. I used to buy that. I think
> the little slices had like 4g per.

Oh, yes, I know which one you mean. I forget the brand, but they are even
kosher! Very hard to eat just one though, I think 1/4 of a matzo
will be a better bet.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Ellen's breakfast vis-?-vis morning readings

Julie Bove > wrote:

: "Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
: ...
: > In article >,
: > "Julie Bove" > wrote:
: >
: >> Do you have a cite that the non-digestible fiber has to be at least 5g
: >> per
: >> serving? Because I was told in factoring carbs to deduct it for
: >> everything.
: >
: > Some people are told to follow that rule, others are not. I do not
: > follow it.

: Well seeing as how I use insulin, I have to get the correct carb count.
: That's why I wanted an actual cite. What people were told is of no matter
: to me.

: That being said, I do follow the Exchange Plan and on that plan you do not
: count the low carb vegetables unless you are eating 3 or more servings per
: meal. Then you have to count it as a carb. Carb being 15g. That's minus
: the fiber.

When I waas taught the exchange plan no one said anything about whether
fiber was a factor. In addition, exchanges had different values for
sdderent types of food i.e. fruits 1 exchange was 10 gram of carb(no
fiber subtraction mentions) while one bread exchange ws 15 grams fo carb,
again no fiber mentioned. I was to look at the carb count on the package
if it was something like bread in a package, otherwise things like small
fruit, medium fruit, 1/2 C of ve, or pasta, etc. I don't believe that any
fiber was subtracted, so whole wheat bread and white bred would be the
same per slice, although whole wheat would be suggested as preferable.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ellen K. > wrote:

: > Then try 1/2 slice of rye bread or equivalent carbs in rye crackers plus
: > the fat/protein and see what happens.

: Just want to be sure I understand what you're suggesting, add approximately
: 10 g grain-based carbs to the green veggie & cheese?

a single Wasa cracker, weither fiber or light is about 6 grams net carbs.
some of the others are heavier in weight so higher in carbs and calories.
Also check out ryevita.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
> : "Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
> : ...
> : > In article >,
> : > "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> : >
> : >> Do you have a cite that the non-digestible fiber has to be at least
> 5g
> : >> per
> : >> serving? Because I was told in factoring carbs to deduct it for
> : >> everything.
> : >
> : > Some people are told to follow that rule, others are not. I do not
> : > follow it.
>
> : Well seeing as how I use insulin, I have to get the correct carb count.
> : That's why I wanted an actual cite. What people were told is of no
> matter
> : to me.
>
> : That being said, I do follow the Exchange Plan and on that plan you do
> not
> : count the low carb vegetables unless you are eating 3 or more servings
> per
> : meal. Then you have to count it as a carb. Carb being 15g. That's
> minus
> : the fiber.
>
> When I waas taught the exchange plan no one said anything about whether
> fiber was a factor. In addition, exchanges had different values for
> sdderent types of food i.e. fruits 1 exchange was 10 gram of carb(no
> fiber subtraction mentions) while one bread exchange ws 15 grams fo carb,
> again no fiber mentioned. I was to look at the carb count on the package
> if it was something like bread in a package, otherwise things like small
> fruit, medium fruit, 1/2 C of ve, or pasta, etc. I don't believe that any
> fiber was subtracted, so whole wheat bread and white bred would be the
> same per slice, although whole wheat would be suggested as preferable.

I was told that fruit, bread and milk were all interchangeable in terms of
carbs and to subtract the fiber.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ellen K." > wrote in message

> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message

>>> I had the pepper at 5 (7 minus 2), I have some rye matzo here which has
>>> 22 (24 -2) for a whole one, I was thinking a half, but since it looks
>>> like you're suggesting to try for around 10 total, maybe I should try a
>>> quarter.

>> Sounds reasonable. You will either go much higher with the matzo or stay
>> around the same pre meal bg. If you stay the same then you probably
>> weren't turning off DP with the previous meals.

> OK, thanks very much! I'll report back.

Got up very late today, FBG was already 136, pre-breakfast value 135, I felt
the test would not be valid under these conditions, hoping to try tomorrow.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Ellen K. > wrote:
>
> : > Then try 1/2 slice of rye bread or equivalent carbs in rye crackers
> plus
> : > the fat/protein and see what happens.
>
> : Just want to be sure I understand what you're suggesting, add
> approximately
> : 10 g grain-based carbs to the green veggie & cheese?
>
> a single Wasa cracker, weither fiber or light is about 6 grams net carbs.
> some of the others are heavier in weight so higher in carbs and calories.
> Also check out ryevita.
>
> Wendy

I think I will be better off using the rye matzo, not least because now if
it works I will have a use for all the halves left over from the Shabbos
meals. (The psak I got was to eat the Ashkenazi version of a kezayis, which
is half a machine matzo, and consider the other food in the meal to be
aggregated with it to get up to the amount needed to be able to wash with a
brocho and bentsh afterwards. Sephardim and Lubavitch hold a kezayis is a
whole machine matzo.) Another reason is that it doesn't set off further
carb cravings.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ellen K. > wrote:

: Got up very late today, FBG was already 136, pre-breakfast value 135, I felt
: the test would not be valid under these conditions, hoping to try tomorrow.

Try it any day and see. You may need to try a few times under different
conditions.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:
: >
[...]

The exchange plan I learned was all in terms of measurements, not counting
for each food item. 1/2 C of pasta, 1/3 C of rice, 1 C of brocolli, 1
small apple, 1 slice of bread, 1/2 C oatmeal, etc. no total number of
carbs or calories, just numbers of exchanges and the diet was
individualized by how many of each kind of exchange you were to eat in a
day-like 5 (1 oz ) lean or medium meat exchanged, 3 fruit exchanges, etc.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
> : >
> : > : Well seeing as how I use insulin, I have to get the correct carb
> count.
> : > : That's why I wanted an actual cite. What people were told is of no
> : > matter
> : > : to me.
> : >
> : > : That being said, I do follow the Exchange Plan and on that plan you
> do
> : > not
> : > : count the low carb vegetables unless you are eating 3 or more
> servings
> : > per
> : > : meal. Then you have to count it as a carb. Carb being 15g. That's
> : > minus
> : > : the fiber.
> : >
> : > When I waas taught the exchange plan no one said anything about
> whether
> : > fiber was a factor. In addition, exchanges had different values for
> : > sdderent types of food i.e. fruits 1 exchange was 10 gram of carb(no
> : > fiber subtraction mentions) while one bread exchange ws 15 grams fo
> carb,
> : > again no fiber mentioned. I was to look at the carb count on the
> package
> : > if it was something like bread in a package, otherwise things like
> small
> : > fruit, medium fruit, 1/2 C of ve, or pasta, etc. I don't believe that
> any
> : > fiber was subtracted, so whole wheat bread and white bred would be
> the
> : > same per slice, although whole wheat would be suggested as preferable.
>
> : I was told that fruit, bread and milk were all interchangeable in terms
> of
> : carbs and to subtract the fiber.
>
> The exchange plan I learned was all in terms of measurements, not counting
> for each food item. 1/2 C of pasta, 1/3 C of rice, 1 C of brocolli, 1
> small apple, 1 slice of bread, 1/2 C oatmeal, etc. no total number of
> carbs or calories, just numbers of exchanges and the diet was
> individualized by how many of each kind of exchange you were to eat in a
> day-like 5 (1 oz ) lean or medium meat exchanged, 3 fruit exchanges, etc.

That's right. There was a chart showing how much of each food equaled an
exchange. However since I don't drink milk and rarely eat fruit, I was told
to substitute a starch for those things.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
> : >
> : > : Well seeing as how I use insulin, I have to get the correct carb
> count.
> : > : That's why I wanted an actual cite. What people were told is of no
> : > matter
> : > : to me.
> : >
> : > : That being said, I do follow the Exchange Plan and on that plan you
> do
> : > not
> : > : count the low carb vegetables unless you are eating 3 or more
> servings
> : > per
> : > : meal. Then you have to count it as a carb. Carb being 15g. That's
> : > minus
> : > : the fiber.
> : >
> : > When I waas taught the exchange plan no one said anything about
> whether
> : > fiber was a factor. In addition, exchanges had different values for
> : > sdderent types of food i.e. fruits 1 exchange was 10 gram of carb(no
> : > fiber subtraction mentions) while one bread exchange ws 15 grams fo
> carb,
> : > again no fiber mentioned. I was to look at the carb count on the
> package
> : > if it was something like bread in a package, otherwise things like
> small
> : > fruit, medium fruit, 1/2 C of ve, or pasta, etc. I don't believe that
> any
> : > fiber was subtracted, so whole wheat bread and white bred would be
> the
> : > same per slice, although whole wheat would be suggested as preferable.
>
> : I was told that fruit, bread and milk were all interchangeable in terms
> of
> : carbs and to subtract the fiber.
>
> The exchange plan I learned was all in terms of measurements, not counting
> for each food item. 1/2 C of pasta, 1/3 C of rice, 1 C of brocolli, 1
> small apple, 1 slice of bread, 1/2 C oatmeal, etc. no total number of
> carbs or calories, just numbers of exchanges and the diet was
> individualized by how many of each kind of exchange you were to eat in a
> day-like 5 (1 oz ) lean or medium meat exchanged, 3 fruit exchanges, etc.
>
> Wendy

That was my experience also.

I'm gonna guess they tell Julie a carb count for each exchange type because
she has to know the carb count in order to calculate her insulin. ?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Ellen K. > wrote:
>
> : Got up very late today, FBG was already 136, pre-breakfast value 135, I
> felt
> : the test would not be valid under these conditions, hoping to try
> tomorrow.
>
> Try it any day and see. You may need to try a few times under different
> conditions.
>
> Wendy

Well, if we are trying to get the DP to turn off, there's no sense trying it
when it's already ready to turn off by itself (noonish).