Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Eating and hot weather

Orlando Enrique Fiol wrote:
> Tiger Lily > wrote:
>> when i was in Cuba, we had those slatted wood venting systems that
>> allowed air-flow at night......... we used that! LOL

> When were you in Cuba? I was there in 1996 to be consecrated to ritual batá
> drums. I'm also doing my Ph.D. on arranging processes in Cuban popular music.
>
> Orlando

errr.......... early 80's?

it was excellent and we had a GRAND time

mind you, during the day, we caught the local bus and travelled about
learning about how the people lived in Cuba

back to the Villa for dinner, and then off to a night affair of sorts

up at 6am to catch breakfast before the sailboat ride to a peninsula
where a luncheon was served, and then back to the dock in time for some
lazing on the ocean on my air mattress (yes, i did that and i was the
only person there with one LOL)

next day, back to the locals and check out how things 'work' in their
country

we met such lovely people, we were so very lucky

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

not only am i less hungry i get nauseated if i eat very much when its hot,
Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>I can remember reading something written I think by Fran Liebowitz when I
>was a teen. She was complaining that during hot weather, people seem to
>think we don't want to eat. So they serve her things like light little
>salads. She said she gets hungrier during hot weather.
>
> I have noticed that myself. And Angela seems to be a lot hungrier as
> well! Today it reached 97 here in Bothell. That's pretty unusual. We
> were out and near a store where I knew I needed to buy something. But
> what? Oddly my memory seems to have improved since I started taking
> vitamin E, but do you think I could remember what it was? I knew it was
> something gluten free. Of course I couldn't remember it until later. We
> stopped at another store and by then I had remembered that it was gluten
> free macaroni and cheese that I needed. Luckily that store had the brand
> that I wanted. *whew* Anyway... I decided to go in to see if something
> would jar my memory and see if they had cheese samples. Heh.
>
> They had brie. I don't really like brie so went on to the other two
> barrels. One was empty. But the other? Loaded with little chilled cups
> of their version of salad Caprese. Half a cherry tomato, ball of
> mozzarella, drizzle of olive oil, balsamic vinegar and bit of basil. Oh
> yum! Angela didn't like hers.
>
> Then later at Costco, I had two more cheese samples and grabbed up a
> sample of some sort of pepperoni pizza. I don't even LIKE pepperoni. The
> piece I had, had just a tiny triangle of pepperoni and according to
> Angela, I wolfed it down like a pig. I was just soooo hungry.
>
> Then on to Target. I had a bag of popcorn there and also some Light
> Lemonade. I didn't finish the popcorn. I gave the rest to Angela. She
> always eats some of hers then brings the bag home where she will have it
> later. Last year she would bring it to school for a snack. I don't think
> they get snacks in Jr. High. But I guess we'll see.
>
> Now I am watching the clock, waiting for dinner. Should get it in the
> oven soon. We're having pizza and salad bar. I figure it won't matter to
> have the oven on since it is already so hot in here. What's a little more
> heat? Heh.
>
> So... Does hot weather make you hungrier? I don't know why it would.
> But it sure does seem to.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I love bbq and was seriously trying to learn about smoking, even had the
smoker i want picked out, unfortunately one needs a patio or porch upon
which to store and use such a thing, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
>> we 'bake' our food on the BBQ
>> it has a themostat and works like any other gas stove, you have to learn
>> what temp the marks will drop you to
>>
>> tonight, we had "Shake N Bake" Cajung pork chops on the BBQ
>> boy, that was good!

> I never understood the concept of BBQs. Generally you use them outdoors
> and that is about the last place I want to be on a hot day. I also
> dislike the flavor of food that has been on a BBQ.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

my dad grilled almost every day he could in the summer, also grilled when we
had parties/family gatherings, still does, now due to gas grill even in
winter, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Alan S" > wrote in message
>> On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 21:56:52 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

>>>I never understood the concept of BBQs. Generally you use them outdoors
>>>and
>>>that is about the last place I want to be on a hot day. I also dislike
>>>the
>>>flavor of food that has been on a BBQ.

>> Here, part of the concept is that on hot days Dad is outside cooking
>> on the BBQ and playing with the kids; which means that Mum is wherever
>> she wants to be and not inside in a hot house (not all have air-con
>> here) over a hot stove.
>>
>> Despite the implied sexism of that scenario, it is pretty true for
>> many families.
>>
>> I use ours two or three times a week, summer and winter. It has
>> several advantages. Minimal washing-up, fat drains off the meat well,
>> chops don't fill the house with smoke or smell when cooking, simple to
>> use and I'm outside in the fresh air (and BBQ smoke) sipping a glass
>> of wine and watching a glorious sunset while she watches the gloomy
>> news of the day.
>>
>> Tonight will be a shared pork chop with tomatoes, potato slices,
>> pumpkin slices, onions and peas. Simple but delicious.

> ---
>
> Hmmm... Perhaps it is just because we didn't have it much when I was
> growing up. When we did, it was always a big deal. Oooh! Daddy is
> cooking. We only ever had hamburgers. Perhaps hot dogs. I don't
> remember. I would never eat hot dogs so if they were served, I ignored
> them.
>
> We had a BBQ maybe once or twice a summer. I actually thought somehow
> that my dad liked to do it!
>
> Last year or maybe it was the year before, we got my dad a new set of BBQ
> tools and some cookbooks, only to find out just recently that he never
> liked it!
>
> Perhaps one reason why we didn't do it often is that we generally only get
> one really hot week out of the year. We're having it now. It was much
> nicer just to go to some air conditioned restaurant than to have to sit
> outside in the smoke of the BBQ. We didn't have the gas kind that many
> people do these days.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I'll be right over, Lee