Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Another new cookbook!

Angela and I were out today to try to beat the heat, forgetting that many
stores here do not have AC. And I think we found them all. It was a lucky
day for her. She finally got the canvas ballet shoes she has wanted for
years. For some reason they never seemed to fit her right, but now they do.
I think her feet grew the teensiest bit. Not quite half a size. She used
to be able to get shoes in the kid's dept. but now she is a solid women's 8
wide. She also got a special order for the split sole tap shoes she has
wanted. Prior, we were told they didn't come in her size. I think they
tend to think when they see a kid that the parent just wants to buy the kid
cheap shoes. Now that she is not quite 5' 5", they seem to be taking her
more seriously and perhaps trying harder to fit her.

And note to self... Do not walk into Nordstrom's and tell the clerk, "She
wants running shoes", pointing to child. And then tell the clerk, "She
wants these!", without looking at the price. The kids have to run a mile a
week at her new Jr. High so I wanted to get her good shoes. These had
better be for the price I paid. But I digress...

In our travels, Angela picked up some bags of stamps. The kind that require
in pads. And ink pads we did not have. So we went to Joanne's fabrics,
thinking they might have them. They did.

They also had cookbooks. I found a series called "The Farmer's Wife". I
was attracted to these because they were full of old ads and copies of
things from old cookbooks. Apparently The Farmers Wife was a magazine put
out in the late 1800's through about the 1930's. I could not decide which
of the cookbooks to buy. I kind of wanted all of them simply to look at the
old ads, but many of the recipes in some did not seem suitable for us. But
the Slow Cooker one did! I grabbed it and it alone because Angela was
getting tired of standing in the aisle. But something was bugging me about
it. What?

Just dawned on me when I got home. Slow cookers were not around in those
days! Ah, but opening the book and reading solved that mystery. What they
did was take old time recipes and adapt them for the slow cooker. And
here's the best part. I quote:

"Slow cooker cookbooks abound, but to the chagrin of many who remember
without fondness some of the sticky, starchy meals to emerge from the
original Crock-Pot, they often rely too heavily on prepackaged ingredients,
such as canned cream of mushroom soup and ketchup.

This book aims to look backward as well as forward, referring to the
wholesome ingredients of The Farmer's Wife to satisfy the needs of
contemporary cooks who would return to simple cooking with a dash of
elegance."

Of course there is more written. But that pretty much sums it up in a
nutshell.

I won't say that all of the recipes are suitable for diabetics. But a lot
of them are! And right off the bat, I saw two that Angela would eat.
Tomato soup (minus the 2T. of cream per recipe) and a chicken stew. And
it's loaded with interesting trivia from the past, especially money saving
tips from when food was rationed.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

nice find, Lee

New Cookbook Becca General Cooking 0 08-01-2010 06:13 PM
Low Fat Cookbook Terry Pulliam Burd[_3_] General Cooking 0 20-07-2009 01:58 AM
Cookbook Suggestion: was (2009-03-08) NS-RFC: The RFC Cookbook on-line Boron Elgar General Cooking 0 09-03-2009 03:52 PM
Got a New Cookbook Damsel in dis Dress[_3_] General Cooking 22 23-12-2008 05:30 PM
The best cookbook is... [email protected] General Cooking 41 23-09-2006 06:29 PM